U.S. Coast Guard

U.S. Coast Guard United States Employee Reviews

Great People and Great Work Ethics
SME Oracle Applications (Current Employee), Elizabeth City NCApril 25, 2015
Pros: Latest Technology, Knowledge sharing, Team spirit
Cons: Sometimes too much planning in Agile Development
Having a good time at USCG. Our team is implementing cMRO module for coast guard to handle maintenance of their air, sea and ground assets. We have already gone live with first sets of requirements. Working to wrap up the cMRO module and move to SCM module.
Rewarding
Machinery Technician (Former Employee), Various LocationsApril 24, 2015
The Coast Guard is a rewarding service to work for. It is a small branch of the armed forces so you have to be proficient at my different jobs.
Productive career
Lead Petty Officer (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 23, 2015
All military services are roughly equal in career advancement and possibilities.. Education and training opportunities are available to individuals who seek them out.
great place to work
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee), Staten Island, NYApril 20, 2015
loved working for the military, everyday was a challenge learned a ton of things great place for advancement and to utilize your skills.
Watching weather and making sure the water navigation charts were up to date
Quartermaster (Former Employee), Mayport, FLApril 16, 2015
While docked in Mayport, I would make sure all charts were updated. During the times as a Quartermaster I learned how to guide our boat into a channel and dock. The hardest part of the job would have been being away from my family but I did enjoy being able to see the world over seas.
Great career
Maritime enforcement instructor CPO (Former Employee), Charleston, SCApril 15, 2015
Pros: Free healthcare for member and family
Cons: long tours, long hours away from home, might end up in harms way
Oversees operations of Armory, responsible for servicing Coast Guard units within designated area of responsibility. Serves as subject matter expert on Physical Security Programs, Utilizes program specific guidance and directives to ensure all operations are being conducted in compliance with published standards. Coordinates training of over 1000 personnel in the safe and effective use of Small Arms required to perform required Law Enforcement and National Security duties.
Rewarding and Exciting
Maritime Law Enforcement Officer (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 14, 2015
Constantly changing work routine, due to changes in Law Enforcement responsibilities. Learned advanced law enforcement techniques, financial management of procured assets. Worked alongside talented and dedicated law enforcement professionals. Travel to different operational locations.
New building
Policy Analyst (Current Employee), Washington, DCApril 10, 2015
Bad parking situation, but nice building with generous amenities. Coworkers are good people, former military. Very knowledgeable in security.
Great opportunity
Avionics Electrical Technician (Former Employee), USApril 9, 2015
If you are willing to travel and be away from your family this is the best job you could ask for. The pay is amazing for the work you will actually perform, and the friendships you will make.
Awesome experience!
Officer (Former Employee), variousApril 9, 2015
I spent 20 years in the US Coast Guard. The breadth and depth of what I saw and experienced would be hard to match in any other career. It is a busy and intense career, with extended time away from home, but would be very appealing to anyone with a restless spirit and desire for adventure.

If I could I would do every day over.
Good Employment for Single
Training for OPS (Former Employee), Petaluma, CAApril 8, 2015
The military provides a great workplace with great benefits and a job security. I would rather be able to be home with my family and not have to travel over seas.
Very challenging
IT Specialist (Former Employee), Charleston, SCApril 8, 2015
Pros: healthcare benefits
Cons: moving
I led the IT help desk for 5 years at the federal law enforcement training complex. Everyday was a challenge, either with outside plant cabling or upgrading many special circuits or dealing with customers. Having to deal with all the new agencies within the same building was the real challenge though. Everyone has different software that needs to speak with other agencies.
USCG
Chief Engineering Officer (Former Employee), Hampton Bays, NYApril 6, 2015
The United States Coast Guard taught me the work ethic that and eduction that transformed me into the leader I am today. I taught what to expect and how to handle difficult situtions.
Disciplined work environment
E3/SN (Former Employee), Bayonne, NJApril 3, 2015
Pros: benefits (medical, dental)
A typical day at work depends on the day. We conducted numerous different operations whether in port or underway. Underway, we conducted ice breaking operations and regulating commerce in the winter and conducted security zones in the spring and summer. In port, we would work on our rescue and survivor equipment and other projects such as painting the boat. Underway, we would have approximately 8 hours of watch per day. I learned numerous things other than my job. I learned much better people skills and assumed a leadership role in certain situations I wasn't required to. The hardest part of the job is the ever changing work and underway schedule. Our schedules had to be flexible at all times, even on vacation. I will say, though, the most enjoyable part of the job is always keeping busy and productive. Also, I worked with great people which made the job much enjoyable.
A wonderful company to work for.
Electronics Engineer (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 3, 2015
Learned to work independently. The work involved travel at least 2 times a month. I made my own arrangements for 1 week stays or less. Went to various parts of the country. Prepared reports for managers upon return from travel. A typical day consisted of reading email and setting priorities for responses. The hardest part of the job was preparing estimates for the work to be done. The most enjoyable part was the travel.
USCG
Machinery Technician (Current Employee), U.S.A.March 31, 2015
Pros: Benefits, Travel
Cons: Long hours, little pay
I would recommend enlisting in the United States Coast Guard to anyone looking to learn valuable skills that otherwise would be unattainable.
Its a life style not a job
Electrician (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAMarch 30, 2015
I am happy to have served in the Coast Guard. It helped me excel after my enlistment. I am thankful for the experience and the opportunities.
high pace, constantly changing work environment
Project Manager (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOMarch 25, 2015
Pros: Quality IT training, changing environments
Cons: Moving
Currently, I support a global organization; I empower 70 analysts to support over 60 to 70 thousand end users on a wide range of systems operating around the world. I enjoy creating teams to meet the demand of end users. I base a great deal of my success on my ability to quickly build repoir with people and over a short period of time I feel I can identify their strengths and I leverage those strength in high impact situations. The workplace is challenging, and I have grown a great deal as a person, I really cannot thank the Coast Guard enough for the opportunities I had in my 20 year career.
Military
USCG (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 23, 2015
4 years of great service. I feel my team made a difference with the operations we did. I would advise anyone to join the USCG. Wouldn't change this for the world.
A very proud moment to have accomplished a personal goal
Candidate (Former Employee), AlamedaMarch 19, 2015
Pros: advancement, leadership, discipline, confidence, wisdom
I undertook this challenge to further my skills in boating, especially in my passion for sailing. The outcome was a 94% overall score with two 100% scores, including Navigation.

My advancement in this arena was exponential and my crews have had no hesitation in expressing their confidence in my abilities.

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Coast Guard

The United States Coast Guard (USCG) is a branch of the United States Armed Forces and one of the country's seven uniformed services. – Read more

U.S. Coast Guard Salaries