U.S. Coast Guard Employee Reviews

Found 1,233 reviews matching the search
Very busy but rewarding
Supervisor and weapons technician (Former Employee) –  VariousJune 26, 2017
This was the most rewarding job I have ever had. I felt the job I did mattered and I was important and valued. They take very good care of their members and are the best at what they do!
If you are looking to do a worthwhile job, this is the one for you!
Advancement in rank is difficult
Health Services Technician (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 23, 2017
The advancement in the Coast Guard is very difficult due to being a smaller branch of the service. Make sure before you enlist to have a guaranteed school, so you will not be placed in job positions that are not challenging.
Pros
Insurance benefits
Cons
Advancement difficult
Manager / Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Key West, FLJune 23, 2017
The Coast Guard is an organization that will take you in and turn you into cog of a giant machine that saves lives. It will teach you what you need to succeed in life. The best part of the job is all of the places that you will visit never realizing that you wanted to visit. It has been one of the best decisions in my life.
Pros
Feeling of accomplishment
Cons
It feels like you are ready to move as soon as you settle in.
Loved every minute
Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  Youngstown, NYJune 23, 2017
Hard work, long days. It can go from quiet and calm one minute to fast paced the next. It comes down to the dedication of the people you are working with. They enhance every aspect of you. You learn to think outside of the box while reacting quickly to an ever changing environment. Put a group of individual coasties together on one task and you have a solid cohesion of effort flowing rhythmically to achieve the goal. When asked what I learned, the answer is simple everything, team work, hard work, family, true trust, dedication, honor and devotion to duty.
Military structured organization
Planner/ Engineer (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJune 19, 2017
I enjoyed working for the Coast Guard. The culture is supportive but mainly of its own (military) . I grew in my career and now it is time for a change.
Highly Stressful
Storekeeper (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALJune 17, 2017
Very high stress and high opt tempo. I was able to do 20 years but am definitely ready to start a new chapter. It was very rewarding and the people that I worked with great.
Pros
30 days of vacation a year
Cons
very stressful
Great community
Boatswain's Mate Third Class (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHJune 16, 2017
My time in the USCG has been great. You get to travel in a cutter/big boat and see other places in the world. You might also serve in a small boat station depending on your rating or career path.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Can be station anywhere in the USA, time away from the family
A Place to Grow
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 16, 2017
What you find yourself doing will vary depending on several circumstances. i.e; land or sea, rating, enlisted or office, or above all what the Coast Guard needs.
You will learn a lot, and if you don't already have some level of work ethic or patients you will see some personal growth. It is an adventure with so many opportunities to do something you would never be able to do otherwise.
Its inspiring to be a part of something important that helps so many people, and the camaraderie that comes along with it is lifelong. Also the chance to travel and be challenged with new responsibilities each day is incredible.
The hardest part is being away form home; but this depends again on whether you choose to work on a cutter or on land.
Pros
Amazing Learning and Growing Experience
I was proud to serve our country
E-3 Fireman (Former Employee) –  Venice, LAJune 15, 2017
I was trained in seamanship, search and rescue, law enforcement, radio first response watch, emergency medical training, CPR, and knowledge of 41' Marine Diesel mechanics. I gained a lot of knowledge, even though sometimes it was dangerous. It is instilled in me to have the same integrity and strong work ethics that I gained in the military. I know that my love and need for organization and cleanliness comes from being in the military.
Pros
The knowledge I learned about the sea, since I love being near the sea.
Cons
The extreme danger of storms and the search and rescue accidents.
Military
Human Resources Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Alameda, CAJune 15, 2017
I loved serving our country and it was an amazing learning experience with amazing opportunities to meet people and be successful in life with its typical challenges.
Coast Guard
Contractor- System Administrator (Current Employee) –  Pascagoula, MS 39567June 14, 2017
The most enjoyable part of my day is interacting with our users. Our Coast Guard users are very patient and enjoy our service we provide. We also get to meet the crews and assist with setting their server up for their new boat it is nice to meet new faces.
Work was hard, experience unmatched
MK-1 (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 13, 2017
Provides for your family, job experience and exposure unmatched. Training was always important, schools were available to teach you other courses that helped in your career
Most Amazing Experience of My Life
Aviation Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJune 13, 2017
A typical day at work was never a typical day at work. I was challenged daily, and learned the value of hard work and education. It required stamina as well as being grounded. The hardest parts of the job ironically built the most important relationships and learning points in my short career. The most enjoyable part of the job were the people I formed relationships with that I know will last a lifetime.
Pros
discounts, travel, food, friends
Cons
duty, time away from family and friends, limited wardrobe, specific grooming routines
Great experience
Aviation Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJune 12, 2017
Joining the Coast Guard was one of the better decisions in my life. More than just a steady paycheck, the Coast Guard offered many opportunities I would never get from any other job.
Very professional workplace
Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 12, 2017
The work environment is extremely professional an requires a lot of responsibility. Great career for retirement pursuit and development of job relate skills.
Best Job Ever
Storekeeper (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAJune 10, 2017
Being part of the Coast Guard was one of the best experiences I have ever had in my life. I learned a lot about myself and what I could actually do once given the opportunity. We have a saying in the Coast Guard. You always have to go out but you don't always come back. That is because we are in the business of saving lives. Which means we put our lives on the line everyday. I learned what it means to be a part of a team and care about others over self.
Pros
Life changing career
Cons
Be a part of something great
Lieutenant, Warrant Officer, Chief, United States (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVJune 9, 2017
The Coast Guard's 11 statutory missions explain why it's the best military service we have. Opportunities are pretty vast between traveling the world, helping defend the homeland, cleaning up environmental disasters, working with other services on joint missions, learning to fight fires, navigate, maintain industrial equipment, operate, they even fire real service weapons (no laser or air). Promotion and advancement tracks are well defined and attainable in most fields. The biggest problem the CG has is it's majority tall white men. It historically has a hard time retaining minorities and women. There are many factors to consider why this might be, but it's a tough place to be if you aren't a tall white guy.
Pros
Travel, Pride in Service
Cons
Work/Life balance, Shore/Operational workload vastly differs.
Helicopter Rescue Swimmer (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 7, 2017
I enjoyed everything about my job in the United States Coast Guard. I would recommend it to everyone. You learn about yourself, how to get along with others . The only negative is moving every 4 years.
This was a volunteer position
Commander, Flotilla 014-05-02 (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 6, 2017
This was a volunteer position so it was not the same as being on active duty. We meet once a month for a few hours and that was it. There was no "typical day at work"
Best years of my life
Fireman Apprentice (Former Employee) –  South Padre Island, TXJune 5, 2017
As a Coastie, you can move anywhere there is a base and your family goes with you. pay is OK but you work for the government. You learn all sorts of things and can go to school if you want.
Pros
Driving boats
Cons
military life

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Coast Guard. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5