U.S. Coast Guard Employee Reviews

Worthwhile career
Administrative Division Chief (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIAugust 28, 2015
Hard to beat the opportunities, people, and benefits. Deployments can be hard if you have spouse and children. Extremely rewarding career in all aspects.
Pros
Advancement and Education opportunities, the people
Cons
Old and outdated ships
Structured work schedule depending on location/duty
Machinery Technician (Former Employee) –  Nashville, tnAugust 27, 2015
Fair supervisors with an open door policy. Not much time off depending on where you're located, or what position you hold. Benefits are ok.
Coast Guard Semper Paratus
2nd Class Storekeeper (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAAugust 27, 2015
My four years in the Coast Guard were the best of my working career. Great units and excellent education that helped me excel in my civilian careers. Anyone coming out of high school that is looking to better themselves and serve their country this is the branch of the military for you.
Fun Training.
Recruit (Former Employee) –  Cape May, NJAugust 25, 2015
It was a lot of training involve.
A lot of cool stuff.
Was good.
My shipmates were awesome.
The Training was hard.
Everything was enjoyable about the training.
Search and rescue and law enforcement
E-2 (Former Employee) –  Beach Haven, NJAugust 25, 2015
honorable discharge

Law Enforcement, search and rescue, yeoman duties for the command, security patrol, greeting visitors, conducted tours, radio watch for the helio-ops from other stations.
Pros
Searching and rescuing distressed boaters and water enthusiats, conducting searches on boats to ensure that no alcohol and drugs were on board, training with the FBI and Cape May Coast Guard helicopter pilots
Cons
The station was officially closed down because of cutbacks
US Coast Guard
Yeoman (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAAugust 23, 2015
The Coast Guard has given me the tools that I need to be able to complete administrative functions. Specifically at my last unit was management of training funds and travel orders, as well as customer service with demanding members.
the most enjoyable part of the job
Machinery Technician (Current Employee) –  Alameda, CAAugust 18, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the people that you meet there. You might have one or two guys that will ruin your day, but for the most part, its a great team.
Seaman
Seaman Recruit (E-2) (Former Employee) –  Saint Clair Shores, MIAugust 12, 2015
It's basic military life . Not too much fun . Had to watch out for false accusations . My typical day at work is self explanatory . Can't give out too much details .
Professional and Productive Workplace.
IT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAAugust 5, 2015
Average 50 hours a week at office and an additional 10 plus on nights and weekends. I supervise the IT staff and manage 30 people total.
Everyday was a different experience
Gunners Mate 2nd Class (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LaAugust 5, 2015
I transferred tools and parts, equipment and supplies to and from work stations and other areas. Disassembled broken or defective weapons equipment and replaced parts as needed. I examined and tested machinery, equipment, components and parts to insure serviceability. I performed maintenance procedures on hydraulics and weapons.conducted search and boarding of boats. I was also in a unit called MSST which stands for Marine Safety Security Team, it was established after 911. I aslo worked and maintained a Armory, where I received weapons and signed out weapons from personnel
Pros
I feel I made a difference in my work
Cons
Advancement was hard to achieve
Fun way to see new areas and learn new skills right out of high school
Fire Control Technician (Former Employee) –  United StatesAugust 2, 2015
Fun challenging way to gain some experience and see some different areas for a person right out of high school who does not wish to go to college. Can be a good career for a person who can handle time away from home and not being able to live where you choose.
Military
Electricians Mate (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXAugust 2, 2015
Good atmosphere, no real complaints. Hardest part of the job was waking up. I would recommend working there if at all possible.
Chief Yeoman (Current Employee) –  San Francisco Bay AreaJuly 31, 2015
learned a great deal on managing people in a diverse environment, and enjoyed it very much. The hardest part of the job was the constant change in management. The most enjoyable was learning to adapt to the ever changing environment.
Great Job
Communication watch supervisor (Former Employee) –  Miami flJuly 30, 2015
A typical day at work was to sort the mail and distribute it to all personal. Prepare and circulate incoming and out going message traffic. Man help desk as well as do security rounds. Outstanding co workers and flexible management. The hardest part was the isolation because you were in a top secret facility and the most enjoyable part is knowing you are the direct link to everything that is happening in the Coast Guard.
Pros
off time
Cons
on call
Various opportunities depending on your preference.
CHIEF ELECTRICIAN MATE (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 30, 2015
The desire to acquire the necessary training for any future employment was accomplished. Various work environments depending on your skills and position determine that. A very diverse and some what large work force.
Team environment with a strong professional and personal support environment
Chief Electrician's Mate (E-7) (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAJuly 29, 2015
Military environment providing a achievable path to advancement as well as a full compliment of professional and personal support services. Provides a wide variety of job descriptions and opportunities
Basic Training is a life changing experience that definitely changes how you view things.
Seaman Recruit (Former Employee) –  Cape May, NJJuly 24, 2015
Basic Training was hard physically and mentally, however it built me back up stronger and more determined than I had ever been. The since of team work and respect for chain of command are something I believe a bunch of people should know.
Pros
Good pay, Advancement opportunities, Satisfying
Cons
Long hours, Life style change
Review
Machinery Technician (E-5) (Current Employee) –  Fort Eustis, VAJuly 23, 2015
The U.S. Coast Guard is a great branch to be in. Its full of diversity and this branch really look out for their people. Ive learned a lot while serving. From building engines, to working on electronics including radios, engines, and computers. Ive learned how to read wire diagrams and blueprints to driving forklifts, trailering 40 foot boats, to driving HMVs. I really learned how to be well rounded while serving my country.
Service to our nation
Petty officer third class (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJuly 21, 2015
Challenging and rewarding experience. Great benefits and ability to serve your country both local and overseas. Lots of opportunity to travel and challenge yourself in a variety of the Coast Guards missions.
A valuable government agency with highly professional members.
Retired as a Commander (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJuly 21, 2015
Highly independent work environment; management easy to work with and peers, subordinates all goal oriented. As with all government organizations, as budgets decreased over the past several years it became more important to look at all processes and lean them to be more efficient. This also meant looking at decreasing personnel. The Coast Guard provides great value to the American people it serves and has very motivated and professional personnel in every community.
Pros
Security, team oriented, training, health and dental, pay.
Cons
move every 2-4 years.

4.5