U.S. Coast Guard

U.S. Coast Guard Employer Reviews

Military Service
Assistant Deputy Branch Chief - Administration (Former Employee), Boston, MAJuly 25, 2014
Military Service - Federal Service - Great Organization with limitless opportunities
Challenging and Rewarding
Independent Duty Health Services Technician (Former Employee), Cape May, NJJuly 21, 2014
Pros: free health and dental plus a compensation for housing
Cons: moving every 3-4 years.
A typical day at work includes running sick call for the crew to assess and treat minor ailments and being always ready to treat major injuries and life threats. Also including routine daily sanitation and pest inspections as well as being a mentor and counselor to everyone. I learned time management, attention to detail and customer satisfaction. The – more... management varies from outstanding to someone just showing up to work. However, there is always someone else to go to if you need to get the job done. Co-workers for the most part, are outstanding and friendly and typically helpful with a "can do" attitude. The hardest part of the job is functioning alone and learning how to balance time to accomplish all tasks. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping people and knowing that you are the reason that they are safe and feeling good and able to go home to their families. – less
The best decision I have ever made
Contract Specialist (Former Employee), washington DCJuly 16, 2014
Pros: everything
Being in the Coast Guard was probably the best thing that ever came into my life. Though its the branch of the military services, it set you up for success and benefits were great, culture was excellent and advancement is in your hands.
GO COAST GUARD
Coast Guard Recruit (Former Employee), Cape May, NJJuly 15, 2014
Basic military training was all I did, it was tough, but well worth it if I wouldn't have got hurt. Typical day was a crazy wake up followed by interesting classes and fun physical fitness challenges.
My first Government job
Accounting Technician (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAJuly 15, 2014
I worked at the Coast Guard for most of my Career I process accounts payable, accounts receivables, travel claims, dity moves, HHG invoices, travel, etc. We had about 300 hundred employees, in which I am some are still my good friends still today.
Great Branch of the US Military
Marine Science Technician (Current Employee), Houston, TXJuly 7, 2014
Pros: health care and training
Being a Marine Science technician in the Coast Guard allows you to gain a vast amount of knowledge in the Oil and Gas and Vessel shipping industry. One of the best decisions I have made in my life was joining.
Coast Guard
Operations Specialist (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 7, 2014
The military is a beast all in its own category. The military runs your life and works you to the core. It makes you grow up quickly and educates by experience.
Productive and fun place to work
TRANSITION MANAGER (Former Employee), St Marys, GAJuly 7, 2014
Fun and productive. Loved helping people resolve their issues.
productive workplace
Seaman/Airman (Former Employee), Petaluma, CAJuly 1, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: long hours
I was a deck hand for small boats and cutters.
Storekeeper that made procurements
US Coast Guard - DHS
Chief Storekeeper (Current Employee), USCG AIR STATION CAPE COD, MAJuly 1, 2014
Part of the Armed Forces, advancement opportunities, seeing different places. Good health and retirement benefits.
USCG Seaman small boat station military
E3 Seaman, Honorable Discharge (Former Employee), Destin, FLJune 25, 2014
Pros: save lives
Cons: lose lives
As an young member of the Department of Homeland Security,I joined the United States Coast, the nations first marine responce organization. I held great responsibility as a professional communication watch stander (eyes and ears of the station) as the dispatcher, information relaying and being held to the highest of responsibility covering over 50 nautical – more... miles radius for 48 to 72 hours work shifts. Another qualification I obtained while in the service is boat crewmember of the united states coast guard, having to learn basic casuality controling techqniues, line handeling, first response surface swimmer, helmsman, cpr,towing evolutions in every possible scenario , active helicopter vessel special operations and standing a good look out for 4 differencent vessel platforms.The last Qualification I obtained is Lethal weapon qualification, able to carry lethel weapons on vessel safety inspections or responding to violence related distress calls showing the highest level of responsibility earning the ability to carry deadly lethal weapons and to take legal actions to obtain compliance. While in down time I learned how to sand, paint and do almost any challenge that will unfold. I left the service Honorably Discharge to persue my dream carreer of becoming a proffesional stockmarketer hoping to meet a mentor to send me to the right direction, if your that person please contact me and thanks for reading! – less
Marine Science Technician
Marine Science Technician (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 23, 2014
As an MST for the US Coast Guard I responded to over 300 spills/releases in the Houston area. I also conducted numerous harbor safety/security patrols ensuring the safety of our ports.
I loved being a part of the US Coast Guard.
Boatswain Mate, Petty Officer First Class (E-6) (Former Employee), US and OverseasJune 23, 2014
I loved being a part of the US Coast Guard. Saving lives was exhilarating. I also enjoyed being appreciated by local fishermen and others for providing security . Also got to see some beautiful parts of the world, such as, Guam, Hawaii, Alaska, Taiwan, Palau, Singapore, etc.
A member of the U.S.Coast Guard
Personnel & Service Records Technician (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAJune 18, 2014
Pros: to say that you served in a unique branch of service.
A typical day changed everyday. While serving especially being stationed in Alexandria, VA was when you would learn so much about this branch of service. This unit housed the USCG Honor guard. These members typically performed for the President of the United States in award ceremonies, marched in parades, typically would bring light to the forgotten – more... branch of service. We handled the drug interdiction to keep drugs out of our country. We also provide search and rescue to those lost at sea all over the world. This was our primary mission. When you look back on tragedies our nation has encountered the Coast Guard was ready to step up to the job. I have always been thankful for joining this great branch of service. Many were not aware of our existence until something major happened i.e. Hurricane Katrina, Countless Hurricanes, etc. – less
Military
Petty Officer 3rd Class, Machinery Technician (Former Employee), Staten Island, NYJune 18, 2014
The Coast Guard is a great branch to join in order to develop leadership skills
Great career
Substance Abuse Prevention Specialist (Former Employee), Yorktown, VAJune 17, 2014
Enjoyed my years in the Coast Guard. The years were tough but I managed with a lasting memories.
Military
Boatswain Mate (Former Employee), Port Aransas, TxJune 17, 2014
Typical military job. I was a boat crewmember, watch stander, cpr/first aid qualified.
Exciting and stressful Search and Rescue based experiences
Fireman - E3 (Former Employee), San Diego CAJune 9, 2014
Pros: pay, benefits, people
Cons: hours
Being in the Coast Guard is a very diverse task. It is hard to explain a normal day at work considering it differed every day. Some days we were working on the boats or helicopters, working out and normal daily routines. Other days we were chasing drug runners, assisting in towing disabled vessels to the harbor, and search and rescue. It gave me the – more... opportunity to learn how to be very diverse and multi-task. People that i worked with all loved the job we all had a passion for helping people and protecting our country so it made it easy to get along with everyone. The hardest part of the job was being away from home and some times no sleep for 48 hrs. But for the most part it was very enjoyable. There is nothing more enjoyable and rewarding then saving a life. – less
Excellent work environment
Lead Inspector for Foreign Vessel exam teams (Current Employee), Portland, ORJune 4, 2014
My chain of command at this unit is excellent. There is a lot of communication from the top down and everyone is very personable. I work with a very tight knit group of people who enjoy working together and spending time with our families outside of work.
Great
Machinery Technician (Former Employee), Governers Is N,YJune 3, 2014
Pros: open sea great sunsets
Cons: being away from home
Being on ship going out to sea was great. Responable for all engine room operations including,Main deasels generators. boilers, gas turbines and evaops. Loved my boss and and tne people i worked with.

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Coast Guard

The United States Coast Guard (USCG) is a branch of the United States Armed Forces and one of the country's seven uniformed services. – Read more