U.S. Coast Guard Employee Reviews in United States

Good job if you have a 4 year plan to use the GI Bill
Storekeeper (Former Employee) –  VirginiaMay 20, 2016
I should have used the educational benefits while on Active Duty, I did receive some quality training that makes me a viable candidate for many different jobs though. Unfortunately the Coast Guard likes to get people good at a lot of things, but doesn't allow their members to be great at any one thing due to being spread so thin. If you're an expert at one part of your job they won't keep you there.
Pros
Medical, Dental, Workout time, Educational Benefits
Cons
Odd hours, inconsistent leadership, poor decision making, illogical
Hard work, can be rewarding
Gunners Mate Second Class (Former Employee) –  multiple locationsMay 20, 2016
Usually two meals a day are provided for you. The work you provide is a wide range of what your designator is to scrubbing down hallways (military doesn't hire janitors) . Some weeks you work to the bones for days on end, others you get to relax. This is nice because it lets you recover, and prepare for harder workweeks.
Pros
health care, educations
Cons
service is getting smaller, and so is the budget, underfunded
Beneficial Place to work
Waterfront Facilities Inspector (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 19, 2016
Typical work day ranges from inspecting foreign vessels and waterfront facilities to responding to pollution calls.

Review of operation, response and security plans.

Contingency planning and exercise preparation/execution
US Military
Operations Specialist Petty Officer Second Class (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 18, 2016
Great military organization. Boot camp in Cape May, NJ is 8 weeks. Sleep deprivation is the hardest thing about basic training.
Great workplace
Commissioned Officer, Lieutenant Commander (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 17, 2016
The workplace was great. The work was meaningful and very impactful. I loved the people I worked with. They were smart, engaged, and deeply cared about what they were doing.
Pros
Great job with meaning.
A Life Opportunity
Engineer/Fireman (Current Employee) –  Curtis Bay, MDMay 16, 2016
The Coast Guard has many positions that a Coastee can enjoy. The overall job is very rewarding because we ensure the safety of others and save lives. We are a small organization so people look out for you like a family would. There's great benefits such a time off, consistent pay, and medical benefits that comes with being a service member.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Needs more leadership classes for supervisors
The most exciting and challeging work experience of my life.
Aircraft Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCMay 13, 2016
Their is no typical wok day but the hours range from 8 to 10 hours days depending on the task at hand. Every day was a new experience. Military and contractors worked in extension of one another, complementing each other in the common goal
to modify and hone new and improved aircraft systems.
Friendly environment with hard working professionals
Program Manager / Human Resource Specialist (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAMay 11, 2016
A typical day at work consist of standard projects with a good amount of time to complete tasks. People are always willing to help and it's a great place to meet professionals. There are times which you have short deadlines but people here are a team and will jump in to help whenever needed.
Pros
Organization cares about promoting health and promoting its people.
Good Ol' Boy Club
Performance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Yorktown, VAMay 9, 2016
The job itself is fine. However, management tends to think that morale and climate are fine, when far from it. Women tend to not climb as far within the civilian ranks, and job preference is given to those men retiring from the Coast Guard.
Pros
Good work/family balance
Cons
Low morale, low opportunity for growth
Productive Service
Chief Petty Officer (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMay 6, 2016
Great job with many benefits including travel and life saving missions.
Got to travel most of North and South America and community involvement.
Pros
Healthcare, income
Cons
Time away from family
Chief Machinary Technician
Chief Machinary Technician (Current Employee) –  Alameda, CAMay 2, 2016
As of now I am the Training Chief, responsible for ensuring all members at our unit are in compliance with the mandated training which is required in order to fulfill all obligations in the Coast Guard.
Demanding job with high level of adversity.
Aviation Electrical Technician (Former Employee) –  Port Angeles, WAMay 1, 2016
The Coast Guard was an incredible experience. Typical days at work were subject to change at any minute of the day. Search and rescue cases took priority over all other tasks. I learned many things while in the service. The most important in the Coast Guard being the ability to work as a team with people from everywhere in the United States. This was pivotal in being successful in saving lives and forming a cohesive group. Furthermore, it allowed smooth operation during a crisis situation no matter who was performing what role. My coworkers were constantly changing and providing new insights and viewpoints. This allowed for an environment that was not boring and highly educational. The most difficult part of the job was potential for very long hours with no sleep and having to perform crucial tasks without error while highly fatigued. The most enjoyable was the incredible people that I would meet and the ability to fly as a crew member in our military aircraft.
Pros
Great benefits, highly engaging environment
Cons
Amount of time spent at work.
Excellent, satisfies.
Vessel Environmental Engineer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 29, 2016
Responsible for the environmental compliance of Coast Guard Ships nationwide. Wrote policy guidance and instructions, Managed the program for the headquarters, the Retired satisfactorily
Pros
n/a
Get paid to save lives.
Storekeeper Second Class (Former Employee) –  United StatesApril 28, 2016
A typical day of work includes working as a team member to save lives and protect the nation that you love. The hardest part of the job is sometimes people die.
Pros
Excellent work enviroment
Cons
Unattainable Deadlines
Great experience
Machinery Technician (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 22, 2016
great opportunities to travel and learn military always is the best option to grow yours skills. Serve our country was the best that ever happens to my and my family.
Pros
Exelents benefits
Cons
Travel a lots
Great Career Opportunities
Command Senior Chief/Food Service Officer (Current Employee) –  VariousApril 21, 2016
Best job I've ever had! Enjoyed 25 years of service with a great organization. I would recommend the Coast Guard to anyone for 20 plus years.
Pros
Great salary/medical/dental/vacation time
Cons
Should have stayed 30 years
Good hard work, long days, but the best job ever.
Senior Chief Damage Controlman (Current Employee) –  all over the USApril 20, 2016
If you like to make a difference in your country and you like good hard work, then the Coast Guard (CG) is the best job ever. I have loved my 22 years and would not give up any of them for any other job. The only hard part is the time spent away from home and family. The pay and benefits cannot be beat and you hold your job security in your own hands (they won’t fire you unless you cannot follow the rules). The CG has some of the best senior enlisted and officers in the US military. The CG lives by its core values of Honor, Respect and Devotion to Duty so the culture I’ve lived in for the last 22 years boles down to “there are no men or women, blacks, whites, or any other shade of human in the CG. We are all just Coasties, and I have been proud to serve next to these fine upstanding American.
Pros
To many to name.
Cons
Long hours and lots of time away from home.
educational millitary environment with heavy leadership roles
Deck Seaman (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 14, 2016
My overall experience with the United States Coast Guard was truly rewarding. I faced countless obstacles but was able to overcome them through great work ethic and solid superior guidance. It was a great honor and pleasure to serve under the U.S. military.
favorite places
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kodiak, AKApril 14, 2016
love it, it's alaska I should not have to say much about the job it's wonderful great place to work and lovely people. it's high cost of living but that's it.
Pros
KODiak
Cons
Not much
Great place to meet new people and learn new skills
Sales Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kodiak, AKApril 14, 2016
A typical day at work is interacting with a lot of interesting customers which is my favorite part, doing what needs to be done in the store, interacting with my co-workers, manager and supervisors are great!
Pros
Meeting new people!
Cons
Short staffed

4.5