U.S. Coast Guard

U.S. Coast Guard Employer Reviews

Great Service to work for
Electronics Division Chief (Former Employee), Seattle, WAJanuary 26, 2015
The US Coast Guard is a great military service to work for. The small work force and large work load helps you gain experience quickly.
you feel like you have a huge family
Contracting Specialist PO3 (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: benefits and work life balance.
Cons: some supervisors lacked leadership skills.
It was the best 4 years of my life! Pay was low but I wasn't expecting 6 figures. Your duty station work/life was dependent on your leadership. If I could get back in I would.
Great People but limited room for growth
Lieutenant (Current Employee), Yorktown, VAJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: great pay and benefits
Cons: work-life balance could be bad depending on job, little room for growth.
The mission is great but be wary if you are coming in as an officer. They will show you the door after 10 years of dedicated service and punching all the right tickets and not give you a reason.
Challenging
Petty Officer First Class (Current Employee), NY, NY FL NJJanuary 17, 2015
Exciting work and being able to serve my country. Conducting Search and Rescue missions for people in distress. Working as a team to achieve a goal.
proactive
Trainer Coordinator Assistant (Former Employee), Seattle WashingtonJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: take pride in a job that is a genuine service to the public
Cons: the work load gets bigger and the staffing gets smaller
Training new personnel and support of greater Coast Guard Missions. Learning constantly; work with highly skilled and professional CG officers, enlisted and civilians.
Personnel issues are the most challenging, people have life issues that impact their performance, and support is essential to success of the mission statement. Humanitarian service, homeland security and the service of our country is the most enjoyable part of the job.
It's basically an unknown branch of the military
Second Class Machinery Technician (Former Employee), MAJanuary 14, 2015
When I originally enlisted I was on the fence with the Coast Guard or the Army. Not leaving the state I live in was the basic factor for me choosing the Coast Guard. I regretted not joining the Army for some years. But like most people that join the military all of your other friends do to. It might not be the most prestigious branch.

But I was never shot at and I never lost a shipmate during a deployment.

My only advice is to either do 4 years or 20 no need most employers don't know or care about transferring skills.
life learning experience
Machinery Technician Third Class (Former Employee), varoius locationsJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: comradery, life leassons
Cons: time away from home
I had an amazing time while enlisted in the Coast Guard, I learned an unexplainable amount of knowledge that I put to use now in my current trade. Teaches you discipline and pride in ones self
I have enjoyed everthing I have done here.
Machinery Technician Second Class (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAJanuary 13, 2015
I am a reservist, so my days are not typical with the Coast Guard. I have been gone from this unit for a short while, so I am just getting back into different roles with them. Right now I am currently the person that will make sure that everyone knows how to drive the trucks with boat trailer attached safely, I am also in charge of making sure they know how to operate the forklift safely and correctly.
The US Coast Gurad was awesome.
Food Service Manager (Former Employee), Clearwater fl.January 11, 2015
Pros: ship board duty was great, sailing the oceans.
Cons: some of the commands had a lot to be desired.
Working for the Coast Guard was the most rewarding, I wanted to join the Coast Guard since I was 10 yrs old. Saving lives & serving my country.
great culture. great place to start
Personnel Clerk (Former Employee), Governors Island, NYJanuary 11, 2015
Pros: flex time, benefits, job security
Cons: travel
great place to work. They gave me my start in HR. Management was great. Lots of overtime, Flex time was available. Travel was difficult. Have to take a ferry on and off the island.
Great supervision.
Military Environment but close to home
Boatswain's Mate Second Class (Former Employee), Barnegat Light, NJJanuary 9, 2015
A great organization to join and serve your country. Teaches one to be responsible, proactive, manage time, and take pride in work. Some assignments require longer deployments, out to sea, for many months, while others are land based, and comparable to civilian jobs. Great time spent working and learning on the ocean, bays, and waterways of the US and other countries.
The best job i have ever had
Seaman (Former Employee), Hampton Bays, NYJanuary 9, 2015
No day was the same as the last. Which was one of the best parts about being in the Unites States military. i have learned the majority of what i know about respect and devoting yourself to the task at hand from this aspect of my life. The hardest part of this job is realizing you cant save every singe person in the world.
USCG Experience
Procurement & Contracting, Accounting (Current Employee), Seattle, WA & Capemay, NJJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: healthcare, job security, education, experience, comaraderie
Cons: promotions, work schedule, workforce management
With my nine years of leadership experience, I have made consistent career progression, growing as a leader by honing my verbal communication skills and working diligently to earn four promotions in that time. My experience with the United States Coast Guard taught me how to work in a team environment. The tasks that proved to be most challenging were successful because of our motivation and team-oriented culture. Having been stationed in over five units, I gained the unique opportunity to collaborate regularly with a diverse set of team members from several entities that included Coast Guard units, Coast Guard Associations, external sports marketing and promotion teams, Hawthorne Elementary School, FEMA response teams, the Ronald McDonald House, and other military services.
As a Storekeeper (SK), I found myself immersed in several job positions that ranged from procurement and contracting to property management for the Deep Water Horizon Oil Spill in the Gulf Coast of Mexico. Based on my achievements and job experience outlined in my resume, I demonstrated increased responsibility over time, which is also endorsed on my recommendation letters. From 2006 to 2014, I was responsible for maintaining million dollar budgets to forecast spending plans for future fiscal years. With over 100 events managed and a 20-member Honor Guard team, I assigned members and participated in events that honor our military veterans and our country. From 2007 to 2010, I expertly maintained a $26 million physical inventory. By calculating item usage, I could forecast part replenishment and my unit yielded – more... a 98% accuracy count for three years. In 2012, I became my unit’s nonprofit coordinator for a local elementary school. With no budget, less than five volunteers, and minimal experience, a small cast of members and myself methodically brought our program new life. With my passion for marketing, I worked with members of my staff and the school to create attractive promotion plans to increase our fundraising and support. Within eight months, I grew from a staff of five to a staff of sixteen; we contributed over 80 hours of volunteer time, and raised over $2,000.00 for three programs. These programs not only support grade school learning and mentorship, but also increased the Coast Guard’s exposure to a demographic that may be unfamiliar with our service. In 2012, I lead a team of SKs in their triennial compliance audit by developing Excel spreadsheets that tracked unit and department spending. The running ledger was influential in overseeing the unit’s procurement activity. The ledger was user-friendly, requiring only small amounts of data entry. The adopted processed increased the integrity of the unit’s financial process. – less
Great Job for a career
Department Head/ Supervisor (Current Employee), Key West, FLJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: benifits
Cons: military, they own you.
Great co-workers to be with in and outside of work. Its like a giant family. learned plenty of life skills but are not able to master any before you get transferred.
U.S. armed forces
Mk2 (machine technician, petty officer 2nd class) (Former Employee), Cape May, NJJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: good benefits, invaluble experience, i gained knowlege not found in any private organization.
Cons: not much money
An elite branch of the U.S. Military. A great opportunity to work with an extremely diverse group of people. The Coast Guard has a long history, founded in 1790. In the event of hurricanes, the Coast Guard prepares to get underway.
The best that I have had
Storekeeper (Former Employee), Seattle, WAJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: paid for my college
Cons: you can be away from your family for a long duration.
The Coast Guard has been a great place to learn different skills, be able to attend College and I have been able to more places than I thought I would. You pick the career field that you want to pursue. You can retire after 20 years of service. You get paid the same amount of other military branches.
great place
Electronics Technician (Former Employee), Norfolk VADecember 31, 2014
Talk is cheap as you know, I'm sure everyone says they will work hard and show up on time, blah blah blah. I have conducted many interviews on both sides and it seems like its the same song and dance that we both do every time. The fact is I am a Vet, and I have been out on my own since I was 17, I will get the job done and then some because that is what I do. I have huge goals in life, and need a place that will increase my skills and develop me further. I am looking for a place that has room for promotions and raises as long as I do my part; which is the easy part.
Always Ready
Boatswain's Mate (Former Employee), various locationsDecember 30, 2014
No other military service offers the opportunities that you will find in the Coast Guard. More is asked, more is expected. Not for the slackers or the faint of heart. If you want responsibility, prefer taking action to talking, and leave fear behind you when you get up each morning, there may be a place for you. Young, healthy, and comfortable in the water? Don't mind early mornings, cold weather, or rough seas? Then go find a recruiter. Now.
Great way to serve your country
Aviation Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), The WorldDecember 29, 2014
A typical day at work would be to wake up at five in the morning be in uniform and ready for inspection by 7am. The list of work to be completed for the day is given and the daily flight schedule. You work on repairs and scheduled maintenance on aircraft until your scheduled afternoon training flight. Half way through your 3 hr training flight you get a call that there is a vessel in distress near Bermuda. You fly to Bermuda and search until you are out of flight time or gas. The vessel is found and you drop a pump to them and then land in Bermuda the next day you are on your way back home and get diverted to Newfoundland for two weeks flying missions in the worst blizzard in a hundred years... okay maybe not a typical day but it happens more times than you'd think
USCG
Commander (Former Employee), Portsmouth, VADecember 22, 2014
Pros: vast opportunities, only limited by one's own motivation.
Cons: n/a
U.S. Coast Guard is a very professional organization. Excellent management and staff to work with and for. Have enjoyed a lifetime of service to our country in this exceptional organization.

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Coast Guard

The United States Coast Guard (USCG) is a branch of the United States Armed Forces and one of the country's seven uniformed services. – Read more