U.S. Coast Guard

U.S. Coast Guard United States Employee Reviews

Outstanding organization that places emphasis on taking care of family
Food Service Specialist, Leadership Diversity (Former Employee), Alameda, CAMay 3, 2015
Pros: long lunch breaks, great family environment, and television available
Cons: being away from your family for months at a time
My day would start from 0500 and go until the job was done. My boss was amazing and took a personal interest in his employees. My co-workers were great as well and was always willing to share their areas of expertise with my shop. I learned that if you treat people with dignity and respect, they will always work hard for you. The hardest part of the job was walking a thin line between being their boss, and being their friend. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing people get rewarded for their hard work, efforts and dedication. Also, people bragged that they didn't feel like they were at work, because the atmosphere was so positive.
Commissary man second class
Commissaryman Second Class (Former Employee), Portsmouth, VAMay 3, 2015
Pros: Got to see a lot of the world and learned how to cook and take care of myself
Cons: none
I was a cook on a Coast Guard Cutter after going to Cook School at Governors Island New York. Spent two years at sea duty. Started out at a Search and Rescue (SAR) Base and went to duty on a 95' SAR cutter.
Great place
Machinery Technician (Former Employee), kingsland gaApril 30, 2015
The United States Coast Guard is a great place to work. I would recommend anyone wanting to get a head start fresh out of high-school to enlist. You not only get a chance to serve your country but you also get a better sense of what it means to be an American.
Productive and fun work place
Yeoman (Admin) (Former Employee), Port Arthur, TXApril 27, 2015
-Life changeing experience
-Learned leadership skills
-Proud veterian, happy to have served my country
-Great work life balance
It was the military
Senior Electronics Technician (Former Employee), Key West, FLApril 27, 2015
Pros: pay, benifits
Cons: long hours, littles freedom
It was the military and a great place to learn skills an allowed for alot of personal and professional growth. I learned a lot about being an electronics technician, working with others, and I really enjoyed it.
Great job but be ready to have much more responsibility than other svcs
Officer in Charge, Surfman (Former Employee), oregonApril 27, 2015
Pros: The current military retirement system for as long as it lasts
Cons: Advancement is very dependent on job specialty
Wonderful career. Know that as an E-2 you will do rough work until you become an E-3 when the work will be slightly less rough.
You will have job security, medical, housing, and a food allowance.
You will travel and much of your success will be up to you!
Great People and Great Work Ethics
SME Oracle Applications (Current Employee), Elizabeth City NCApril 25, 2015
Pros: Latest Technology, Knowledge sharing, Team spirit
Cons: Sometimes too much planning in Agile Development
Having a good time at USCG. Our team is implementing cMRO module for coast guard to handle maintenance of their air, sea and ground assets. We have already gone live with first sets of requirements. Working to wrap up the cMRO module and move to SCM module.
Rewarding
Machinery Technician (Former Employee), Various LocationsApril 24, 2015
The Coast Guard is a rewarding service to work for. It is a small branch of the armed forces so you have to be proficient at my different jobs.
Productive career
Lead Petty Officer (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 23, 2015
All military services are roughly equal in career advancement and possibilities.. Education and training opportunities are available to individuals who seek them out.
great place to work
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee), Staten Island, NYApril 20, 2015
loved working for the military, everyday was a challenge learned a ton of things great place for advancement and to utilize your skills.
Watching weather and making sure the water navigation charts were up to date
Quartermaster (Former Employee), Mayport, FLApril 16, 2015
While docked in Mayport, I would make sure all charts were updated. During the times as a Quartermaster I learned how to guide our boat into a channel and dock. The hardest part of the job would have been being away from my family but I did enjoy being able to see the world over seas.
Great career
Maritime enforcement instructor CPO (Former Employee), Charleston, SCApril 15, 2015
Pros: Free healthcare for member and family
Cons: long tours, long hours away from home, might end up in harms way
Oversees operations of Armory, responsible for servicing Coast Guard units within designated area of responsibility. Serves as subject matter expert on Physical Security Programs, Utilizes program specific guidance and directives to ensure all operations are being conducted in compliance with published standards. Coordinates training of over 1000 personnel in the safe and effective use of Small Arms required to perform required Law Enforcement and National Security duties.
Rewarding and Exciting
Maritime Law Enforcement Officer (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 14, 2015
Constantly changing work routine, due to changes in Law Enforcement responsibilities. Learned advanced law enforcement techniques, financial management of procured assets. Worked alongside talented and dedicated law enforcement professionals. Travel to different operational locations.
New building
Policy Analyst (Current Employee), Washington, DCApril 10, 2015
Bad parking situation, but nice building with generous amenities. Coworkers are good people, former military. Very knowledgeable in security.
Great opportunity
Avionics Electrical Technician (Former Employee), USApril 9, 2015
If you are willing to travel and be away from your family this is the best job you could ask for. The pay is amazing for the work you will actually perform, and the friendships you will make.
Awesome experience!
Officer (Former Employee), variousApril 9, 2015
I spent 20 years in the US Coast Guard. The breadth and depth of what I saw and experienced would be hard to match in any other career. It is a busy and intense career, with extended time away from home, but would be very appealing to anyone with a restless spirit and desire for adventure.

If I could I would do every day over.
Good Employment for Single
Training for OPS (Former Employee), Petaluma, CAApril 8, 2015
The military provides a great workplace with great benefits and a job security. I would rather be able to be home with my family and not have to travel over seas.
Very challenging
IT Specialist (Former Employee), Charleston, SCApril 8, 2015
Pros: healthcare benefits
Cons: moving
I led the IT help desk for 5 years at the federal law enforcement training complex. Everyday was a challenge, either with outside plant cabling or upgrading many special circuits or dealing with customers. Having to deal with all the new agencies within the same building was the real challenge though. Everyone has different software that needs to speak with other agencies.
USCG
Chief Engineering Officer (Former Employee), Hampton Bays, NYApril 6, 2015
The United States Coast Guard taught me the work ethic that and eduction that transformed me into the leader I am today. I taught what to expect and how to handle difficult situtions.
Disciplined work environment
E3/SN (Former Employee), Bayonne, NJApril 3, 2015
Pros: benefits (medical, dental)
A typical day at work depends on the day. We conducted numerous different operations whether in port or underway. Underway, we conducted ice breaking operations and regulating commerce in the winter and conducted security zones in the spring and summer. In port, we would work on our rescue and survivor equipment and other projects such as painting the boat. Underway, we would have approximately 8 hours of watch per day. I learned numerous things other than my job. I learned much better people skills and assumed a leadership role in certain situations I wasn't required to. The hardest part of the job is the ever changing work and underway schedule. Our schedules had to be flexible at all times, even on vacation. I will say, though, the most enjoyable part of the job is always keeping busy and productive. Also, I worked with great people which made the job much enjoyable.

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Coast Guard

The United States Coast Guard (USCG) is a branch of the United States Armed Forces and one of the country's seven uniformed services. – Read more

U.S. Coast Guard Salaries