U.S. Coast Guard

U.S. Coast Guard Employer Reviews

USCG
Commander (Former Employee), Portsmouth, VADecember 22, 2014
Pros: vast opportunities, only limited by one's own motivation.
Cons: n/a
U.S. Coast Guard is a very professional organization. Excellent management and staff to work with and for. Have enjoyed a lifetime of service to our country in this exceptional organization.
Fast pace extremely exiting career
Seaman (Former Employee), Gloucester, MADecember 19, 2014
If you love the water and excitment the Coast Guard is the career choice for you.
Very fun exciting
Maritime Enforcement Specialist (Former Employee), Tampa, FLDecember 19, 2014
Lots of chances to go places. Always something to do. Great way to help people. Big opportunities to go over seas. Great way to start a career. Expect the first three to four years as a non rate painting or mowing. Stick it out and get rate then the fun begins.
Honorable and rewarding.
Machinery Technician (Former Employee), Coos Bay, OR and Chicago, ILDecember 17, 2014
Pros: healthcare, resume builder, travel, gi bill, team work
Cons: long hours, sometimes dangerous, strenuous
This is truly an amazing job. It's an excellent chance to travel, learn skills of a trade deeply rooted in tradition, and serve your country. The camaraderie I've found in this small service is unlike any other. The best part of the job is search and rescue, its rewarding to help others in sometimes demanding circumstances. The healthcare benefits are – more... also as good as it gets. The worst part of the job is the long hours and the sometimes unknown schedule. – less
Was Fun
Operational Specialist, E4-E5 (Former Employee), San Fran, CaDecember 17, 2014
Working for the Coast Guard was worth all the hardship this sort of life generates. We had a lot of good times and some bad, but was well worth it.
If you want to join the military Coast Guard is the one!
Recruiter (Current Employee), Arlington, VADecember 16, 2014
Pros: tax exempt benefits
Cons: move where they need you
In my almost 20 years I have traveled the world. Opportunities to do things I never thought I would. In the CG you choose your job but get to experience every mission the CG has. Never a boring moment, everyday is different. I have been able to help people in distress and protect our country all while getting paid. I would not trade one day for anything – more... in the world. – less
Greatest Job
Operation Specialist (OS) (Current Employee), MiamiDecember 16, 2014
Industrial Security - Electronic Security System - Physical Security - Information Security - Personnel Security - Operations Security – Security & Risk Assessments
Great experience to give you skills
Information Systems Technician (Current Employee), New Orleans, LADecember 12, 2014
Pros: job security, benefits, retirement, diverse work environment
Cons: transfers, nonexistent spouse career
The Coast Guard isn't for everyone, but it's a great deal. I know that I have control over my employment status at the Coast Guard. I don't have to worry about going in one morning to find my job is gone. I have lived in four states and I wouldn't trade that for anything. My whole life is a vacation. I've lived in Wine Country, Virginia Beach, and New – more... Orleans twice. If you're 18 and not sure what to do then the Coast Guard is the branch for you. – less
you CANNOT beat joining the Coast Guard, if...
Fireman/Engineer (Former Employee), Portsmouth, NHDecember 10, 2014
Pros: benefits, career growth, travel, sense of pride, knowing america is depending on you
Cons: not much $ at first, lack of time with family (only when stationed on a cutter)
You're willing and ready to make it your career. They are (well when I was in) at capacity. I remember sr. ranking enlisted guys I was stationed with were being forced to retire. waiting lists for A schools' ranged from 6-8 months wait for something like BM or MK, but most everything else was 12+ month wait. some lists were closed. and right before – more... I got out even the BM and MK lists were 12+ month wait.

HOWEVER, you really cant beat the life of a coastie. Even for someone like me who LOVES to ski. The pacific northwest has a ton of units and is what? a couple hours from Whistler? New England as well has plenty of units super close to skiing. When I was stationed in Portsmouth, NH I climbed Mt. Washington like 15 times. There's even a station in Lake Tahoe and one on Lake Champlain in Burlington, VT. Good luck getting stationed there, they are highly sought after places but hey, ya never know.

There are also tons of units on the Great Lakes as well as the major US rivers and waterways. Basically anywhere there is water, there are coast guard units.

at times it sucks and you want to "get out" But many of my port calls were places like Key West, where I once slept under a porch, or San Andreas Island (look it up), Curacao, Costa Rica, Columbia, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Do you get my point?

Just make sure you ask your recruiter any and every question you can possibly think of. – less
Best Branch of the Military
Electronics/Radio/Radar Technician (Former Employee), Alameda, CADecember 9, 2014
Pros: good benefits, mgib
Cons: military life can suck....
I had a really nice time in the coast guard and at times wish I was still in the service. In my opinion it was the best 6 years of my life. I got to see a ton of places over 25 countries and work on more gear than I can remember.
Productive work place, very demanding
Boatswain Mate (Former Employee), TEXASDecember 9, 2014
Pros: saving lives
Cons: losing a life
The Coast Guard was a great experience, some good days and some bad. Our job in the Coast Guard extend more than just saving lives, yes that's our primary missions, but we do so much more. Ive been station in three different states and traveled to lots of other countrys. All three units ive been stationed are completely different with a whole new skill – more... set the learn, for example. In one state up north, I was a game warden and safety inspector. I monitored fisherys all over the pacific. I made sure that the fisherman had the required license and insure that they had the right catch and size, and made sure they were not fishing in nursery areas. I also inspected their vessel as well. All vessel must be safe and fit for sea. Every vessel must pass Coast Guard relations in order to be considered sea worthy such as, must have a drysuit for every member on board the vessel, must have a full and working fire extinguisher, and must have a working life raft that is big enough for all crew aboard.
In the South, being so close to the boarder, was strictly Narcotics Interdiction, and Migrant Interdiction. But saving lives was the best part. – less
Coast Guard was worth it
Electronics Technician (Current Employee), San Diego, CADecember 4, 2014
Pros: all the benefits
Cons: deployments
Though there are hard and stressful times while being active duty, it preps you for any job afterward. The benefits while you are in are amazing but the benefits keep coming even when you get out!
A productive fun place to work.
Fireman (Former Employee), New London, CTDecember 2, 2014
I worked on a ship.I performed maintenance. Being able to travel was a big plus. The disciplinary environment was very enjoyable as was the professionalism.
nice career
Boatswain Mate Petty Officer (Former Employee), Cape May, NJDecember 1, 2014
The U.S. Coast Guard is a wonderful career choice if your not sure what you want to do. The Coast Guard offers exciting travel good pay. If you like to work with your hands and you love being on the water the Coast Guard could be the right fit for you.
Awesome Job
Marine Science Technician Second Class (Current Employee), San Pedro, CANovember 25, 2014
Awesome Job, but advancement is almost nonexistent. The People are great and the Command is good
Reviewed contracts with private companies to clean up oil spills.
Contract Specialist (Former Employee), New York, NYNovember 25, 2014
Culture was excellent. People enjoyed their jobs and were satisfied they were contributing to something positive. I thoroughly enjoyed my work there.
Great working Environment
Office/ Exams Clerk GS-4 (Former Employee), Memphis TNNovember 24, 2014
Great place to work for summer hire. Only was able to work about 2 months but would have accepted a full time position.
Intelligence Specialist/Honor Guard
Intelligence Specialist (Former Employee), Washington, DCNovember 21, 2014
Pros: active duty has free health care/ generous salary-benefits
Cons: constant relocation
Screen, research, analyze, and interpret all-source intelligence information, including HUMNINT/IMINT/MASINT/OSINT/ELINT/FININT/SIGINT for area of responsibility in order to produce detailed written analytical products. Work directly with interagency intelligence partners to insure projects are completed as scheduled, routinely inspecting projects work, – more... and overall project completion. Additionally responsible for conducting follow-up assessments with project coordinators from various intelligence partners to re-evaluate project planning, budgeting, and efficiency – less
Productive workplace, great clientel
Sales Clerk Leader (Current Employee), Westhampton, NYNovember 20, 2014
Pros: work schedule
Cons: salary
Great job, I gained a lot of experience in retail and customer service.
I learned how to complete operations from opening to closing the store, and my strongest skill is customer service interactions. I work on the N,Y, Air National Guard Base in Westhampton and have a very large customer interaction on a daily basis and on Drill weekends when the customer – more... number doubles. Working among Military members has been very rewarding and have made my experience at the Coast Guard Exchange something I will never forget. – less
The best years of my life
Aviation Maintenance Technician PO3 (Former Employee), San Diego CA Sitka AK Coos Bay OR Port Clarence AKNovember 19, 2014
Pros: flying everyday, helping people, saving lives, being proud of what you do
Cons: in the aviation world, advancement is terrible, huge amounts of responsibility without the financial reward
To the core, the USCG is in my opinion one of the greatest organizations on the face of the earth. I can't express in words how amazing it is to be surrounded by an entire community of individuals who's primary goal in life is to help people. I'll probably never enjoy a job as much as I did the USCG.

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Coast Guard

The United States Coast Guard (USCG) is a branch of the United States Armed Forces and one of the country's seven uniformed services. – Read more