U.S. Coast Guard Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,022 reviews matching the search
Professional atmosphere with military bearing.
(SAR) communications dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Rio Vista, CAJuly 28, 2016
My duties in the Coast Guard was to be a communications dispatcher. This duty required me to receive distress calls coming from vessels on the San Joaquin delta in California. My other duties were boat crew member and maritime law enforcement officer. On days that I was not designated to stand communications watch I would be on crew.
Pros
Military experience
Cons
Great benefits, but a very impersonal environment.
Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Alameda, CAJuly 27, 2016
A typical work day depended on what type of unit I worked at. At a command center, I would field calls from the public on distressed mariners or law enforcement needs. On a Cutter, we were underway for months at a time and worked around the clock shifts to conduct search and rescue and law enforcement missions. I learned that I am very resilient person and that I can adapted to almost any situation. I also learned how to manage other people in a high stress environment. In the Coast Guard, you meet alot of different type of people and personalities, so for the most part, my co-workers were enjoyable to work with and most of them I keep in contact with as friends. The hardest part of my job, is one ever I had to leave my family for long periods of time. The most enjoyable would be the travel I got to do around the country.
Excellent leadership and culture
Organizational Development Consultant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 26, 2016
Superior military and civilian management coupled with a workforce dedicated to serving the public. Maligned as "typical" federal workers, the US Coast Guard is dedicated to serving the public as effectively and efficiently as possible. I enjoyed working with many self-motivating people.
Uscg
Supervisory Training Specialist GS (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSJuly 26, 2016
The DHS USCG has been a phenomenal place for me to grow and deepen my education. Advancement is extremely limited and the constant turnover of military personnel has its challenges. Nice place to earn your federal time but very limited upward mobility.
Great
Personnel Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 20, 2016
I loved working with the United States Coast Guard. Getting to know people that has lived other places, other cultures.
The family that I worked with were very polite. I learned how to care for an elderly person with patience and tender loving care
Cashier/Sales Associate/Stock (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 16, 2016
A typical day at work would be to give the client personal care. Light housekeeping, laundry, companionship, keep notices on how she's doing throughout the day.
Overall rating is satisfactory
Lead Inventory Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 14, 2016
8-10 hours a day.
I mostly already knew the positions prior to promotion eligability due to having the USAF active duty supply chain experience. Air Force training was so far ahead of the USCG in the supply chain operations.
Mangement needs to work with employees and not be bias toward other service branches.
Co-workers need sensitive training within the office environment.
Nothing was hard about the job. Most of the new hires I worked with had no expereince in the position selected.

I really enjoyed my job!! Knew more than management which hinder my advancement
Pros
They beleive in tele-working of their employees. No accountability on time and attendance.
Cons
Management and GS positions are given to retired CG personnel, No expereince within the position, Retired federal service personnel rehired as contractors
Self fulfilling and rewarding service
Chief Boatswain's Mate (Former Employee) –  world wideJuly 14, 2016
The U.S. Coast Guard is a rewarding career. It is all about working as a team to reach a common goal and complete your missions. The Coast Guard has the best sailors in the world and limits are endless to further your career. The toughest part is being away from your families for months at a time when stationed on the bigger ships. My most enjoyable part of the Coast Guard is piloting/navigating the bigger ships and being out to sea for months at a time.
Pros
Being out to sea and great shipmates
Cons
being away from family
Excellent Workplace, long hours, fulfilling environment
Operations Specialist, Graphic Designer, Webmaster (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJuly 14, 2016
I worked rotating 12 hour shifts standing a communications watch. Most work was done independently and communicated to superiors as a part of a team. Training was regularly provided and a lot of this was while on the job. The hardest part of the job was the rotating hours. The most enjoyable part was actively participating in saving lives.
Excellent experience
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJuly 12, 2016
I served on active duty for 30+ years and enjoyed almost every minute of it. I had several very responsible positions at several commands, including 2 ships. I was always treated well and had some unforgettable experiences.
Amazing experience for learning life lessons and skills.
Petty Officer (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAJuly 11, 2016
I will leave the service with 6 years of experience on my resume. Great organization with great compensation and benefits. Will miss it dearly.
Pros
Flying in a helicopter.
Cons
Duty may be tough for some.
Enjoyed my time in the United States Coast Guard and learned very valuable life skills
Response Department Head (Former Employee) –  Grand Haven, MIJuly 9, 2016
In a typical day you would conduct critical missions on the water and handle pollution cases within your unit. Overall, a very great job to have and found myself enjoying everything that I did.
Best government agency for your tax paying dollars.
Chief Machinery Technician, Collateral Duties (Former Employee) –  NHJuly 8, 2016
Big Job, Small service. Pack your bag sailor. More responsible duties than most can endure especially for someone under 25.
Life can be tough while your away, but in reality your missing nothing and doing more with your life than those at home in the boring world.
Pros
Extreme multi-tasking
Cons
Extreme multi-tasking
Great Branch for Military Service
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Washington, TXJuly 8, 2016
The jobs within the USCG are varied. Some have great opportunities for travel and shipboard experience, while others offer a more traditional schedule and less travel.
Pros
30 days PTO a year, Inexpensive or Free Healthcare
Cons
Contracted employment, Needs of the service come first
Military life
Boatswain's Mate (Former Employee) –  Nags Head, NCJuly 1, 2016
The US Coast Guard provides military life, with a great view everywhere you go! Proud to have served after 9/11. Here are some more words to finish the review
Disciplined and productive workplace
Military (Former Employee) –  Cape May, NJJune 30, 2016
There is no typical day in the USCG everyday is a new challenge. I've learned to perfect orders given to me. Stressful workplace due to incentive training. Working with people from all over the country and world. the hardest part of the job is being punished when not doing the job properly. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting people and making friends for life.
Gave me a since of belonging
Electriction (Former Employee) –  all over the USJune 30, 2016
Great job to see to world and everything there is out in it. I've been to the North Pole and the South Pole as well as seen all the Caribbean.
Disciplined and dedicated environment
Health Promotion Coordinator (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaJune 22, 2016
The job is rewarding to say the least. Everyday you walk into work knowing you are going to do something for the benefit of all the members serving. I learned how to be an effective leader, how to help those who could not manage to lose weight to stay in compliance with regulation. I learned responsibility and dedication early on and how to sacrifice your time for the need of the service. Balance is key and they made sure to give you the time off if needed.
Pros
Serving others
Cons
You have to live in places where the service is needed
US Coast Guard
Boatswain's Mate (Former Employee) –  United StatesJune 21, 2016
A very satisfying experience. I got to see a lot of places world wide and learn a lot about myself. the training I received was world class and translates to everyday challenges. Overall the Coast Guard took a 19 year old boy and made a man.
benefits
Cons
hours
USCG Information Systems Technician
Information Security Officer & Help Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Point Reyes Station, CAJune 20, 2016
Usual schedule on land units is 7-3
Most days are spent working in a team environment
Many opportunities for additional training
Work in most fields of IT
toughest part of the job is being relocated regularly
Best part of the job is the workshop environment
benefits
Cons
time spent away from family

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Coast Guard. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5