U.S. Coast Guard

U.S. Coast Guard Employer Reviews

USCG
Personnel Supervisor, Sector (Current Employee), Detroit, MIOctober 16, 2014
Pros: work life balance, benfits, the people
Cons: resistant to change, budget constraints, bureaucracy
Overall it has been a great experience. I've traveled all over the country, buit a strong foundation, and was part of a cause. Best part of the job is helping others. Worst part of the job is bureaucracy and tough to make changes.
productive work enviornment
Data Entry Operator II (Former Employee), Elizabeth City, NCOctober 15, 2014
Pros: down time
Cons: managment
normal day consists of 8 hours a day. a hard day at work is when you have to go through several people just to get one answer. a good day at work is when everything goes smooth. the best part of the job is being able to work with people across the united states like you have known them for years.
Proud to have served
Master Chief (E9) Gunners Mate (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAOctober 12, 2014
Pros: the coast guard cares for its people
My 22 year career in the Coast Guard was nothing short of amazing!
The Coast Guard is small enough to truly care about their people. The job brings something new with each day which I personally enjoyed the most.
Military Career
Operations Specialist (Former Employee), Metairie, LAOctober 9, 2014
Pros: the training, the retirement, medical care, support, get to see different part of the world
Cons: long hours from time to time, moving every 2 to 3 years, being away from family
A typical day in the Coast Guard could vary from command to command. The works hours were usually 40 hours but from time to time it could be more. I learned most of my work experience and my degree while I was on active duty. The management varied from command to command but overall was very good. My co-works always came through in times of need and – more... I have met people from many countries. The hardest part of the job was to work for 2 to 3 days at a time with little to no sleep. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting so many people and being able to help so many along the way. – less
military
Boatswain's Mate (Former Employee), Alameda, CASeptember 29, 2014
I got to learn all aspects of military!! I got to help my country!
Consistent
Purchasing Agent (Former Employee), Miami, FLSeptember 29, 2014
Consistent, flexible and good leadership. Consistent in providing training and making sure employee needs were met
N/A
Health Service Technician (Current Employee), Atlantic Beach, FLSeptember 28, 2014
Great job and opportunities to travel all around the coast of the USA. The constant moving is a scarify, but it has always been like that for all armed forces.
It is the Military
IT Support Team, ESD (Current Employee), Boston, MASeptember 26, 2014
Pros: post 9/11 gi bill
Cons: extended times away from home
I am looking to get out because I no longer want to move every four years, but the Coast Guard is in general a great place to work!!!
An environment that can provide a full and rewarding career.
Executive Manager (Current Employee), Bellingham, WASeptember 26, 2014
The amount of success that a person in the Coast Guard can find is largely a personal decision. The Coast Guard uses a competitive advancement program, so it is largely up to the individual how far they can go.
Very interesting work - something new every day.
Petty Officer Second Class (Former Employee), Honolulu, HISeptember 24, 2014
Pros: working for the u.s. government
Cons: low pay.
Working for the U.S. Coast Guard was a very rewarding, fulfilling time in my life.
Great organization with multiple opportunities
Chief Warrant Officer (Current Employee), San Pedro, CASeptember 23, 2014
Pros: great health benefits and vacation
Hard work and effort yields results
Must collaborate as a team.
small boat station seaman
Medical officer for small boat station (Former Employee), Tybee Island, GASeptember 23, 2014
participated in vessel boardings, search and rescue, and waterway patrols.
Great place to advance in life.
FN (Former Employee), USASeptember 22, 2014
There really wasn't a "typical" day at work. It was always changing but that's what I loved about it. Of course, there were down sides but that's expected.
great place to work
Boatswain Mate (Current Employee), paducah, KYSeptember 19, 2014
Great place to work. Great people to work with. the management is with the ranking system
loved the job
ARMORY SUPERVISOR (Former Employee), Seward AKSeptember 19, 2014
You meet a lot of different people. You have the opportunity to do a lot travelling while in the coast guard.
excellent job
Electricians mate (Former Employee), united staesSeptember 18, 2014
great moral, lots of travel, many benefits. one of the best jobs I have ever had.
Excellent
Regional Supervisor (Former Employee), Arlington, VASeptember 16, 2014
Pros: wearing the coast guard uniform for 20 years, 30 days a year of leave
Cons: moving every 4 years
Typical day for me in the Coast Guard usually started at 5:15am when I left my house to beat the I-66 traffic, and my day was filled with challenges/accomplishments of assisting my 55 recruiters that where all on the West Coast while I was on the East Coast did what they needed to do to make the Coast Guard mission.

Over my 20 years in the Coast Guard – more... I learned a lot of stuff that I fill will assist me in performing well with your company. I have over 20 years of experience in Human Resources, i have 5 plus years of management experience, and I have also 8 years of managing budgets.

My management skills have been acquired by networking with other supervisors that I work with over my 20 year career. I feel that in my last position as Regional Supervisor for the West Coast Region, I was able to assist my recruiters thru my leadership experience to do what they could do to make the Coast Guard Mission. I know that I always informed them that I was always available to them no matter the time of day.

I had great co-workers while I was in the Coast Guard, and a lot of them are still my friends to this day. Most of all of my co-workers shared the same work ethic of play hard first and then you can have fun.

I think the hardest part of my 20 year career was knowing that every 4 years i would have to up route my family and leave all of our friends.

The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing at the end of the day you represented your country proudly and the sense of pride knowing that I was able to serve my country like my grandfather, father, and uncle did before me. – less
Work in communications devision
Communications (Current Employee), Cape Cod, MASeptember 16, 2014
Pros: travel
Cons: travel
Test communications equipment.
Monitor assets that require communication
A fantastic career
Chief Warrant Officer (Former Employee), All over the United StatesSeptember 15, 2014
A great career that gave me the chance to see parts of the world that I never thought I would see in my life time. The Coast Guard truly looks out for it's personnel. You are not just one of the mass or a number. You can go as far as you put the effort too. I was blessed to go from the lowest rank after boot camp all the way up to a Chief Warrant Officer – more... 4. – less
Good Job
Boatswains Mate (Former Employee), Macon, NCSeptember 13, 2014
Operational: SAR cases, law enforcement
Managerial: personal and departmental
How to manage people and how to get through the worst situations.
Management is "OK" politics plays a big part.
Co-workes were some of the best people I have ever meant.
The hardest part was politics
The most enjoyable was saving people and building bonds with co-workers.

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Coast Guard

The United States Coast Guard (USCG) is a branch of the United States Armed Forces and one of the country's seven uniformed services. – Read more