U.S. Coast Guard

U.S. Coast Guard Employee Reviews

Best sea going severve
SS2 (Former Employee) –  AlaskaNovember 24, 2015
Some of my best days were with my shipmates in the Coast Guard. Sometimes I whish that I would have stayed in and retired. I would probably be better off now if I had.
Recruiting
Marine Inspector (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 24, 2015
The recruiting job was fulfilling as it allowed me to reach out to people and use my social skills. I learned a lot about the Coast Guards history before becoming an officer.
U.S. Coast Guard
Operations Unit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  South Portland, MENovember 23, 2015
It has been a privilege and an honor to serve the nation as a member of the United States Coast Guard. The Coast Guard has provided me with a great deal of leadership experience through a variety of experiences.
Productive and fast paced work environment
Legal Intern (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 22, 2015
It was a challenging and engaging work environment, where my limits were tested constantly. I had the opportunity to engage in many different areas of law including Criminal, Real Estate, Agency, Marine Transport, and Landlord/Tenant. I enjoyed it there so much I stayed on three time longer than the average intern, and I formed and lead a strong and dedicated group of interns during the Summer and Fall of 2016.
US Coast Guard
Field Terminal Operator/Consultant (Current Employee) –  Curtis Bay, MDNovember 19, 2015
I enjoy working for the company it has excellent benefits and I can advance here as well. Working for this company has really changed my life.
Pros
friendly employees
Cons
A good place for personal development.
Maritime Enforcement Specialist (Former Employee) –  East Providence, RINovember 18, 2015
A structured and productive workplace that yielded a stable work/life balance. This assignment was all about what you make of it so I used my time to attend night classes. Compared to other military units, this place was slow paced, yet our mission was very important. I met some great people and really got to focus on my personal life while I continued to serve our country.
Pros
Sense of honor, excitement, job security and upward mobility
Cons
Locational stability, dangerous, physically demanding
Go Coast Guard
MACHINERY TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYNovember 18, 2015
Enlisting in the Coast Guard was more of a sporadic decision that I never regretted. I enjoyed my service in the Coast Guard, but as any other military branch it does have it annoyances.
Exciting Career
Yeoman (Current Employee) –  Kiln, MSNovember 17, 2015
I would not trade the experiences nor the people that I have had the opportunity to meet for anything. There have been several great crews that I have worked with throughout my 14 year career.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Family Separation
Had good benifits
Machinery tech. (Former Employee) –  Wash. D.C.November 17, 2015
Worked various jobs in engine rooms and worked with all kinds of people. Like going to other countries and learning various jobs working with different people in other countries.
Pros
Had free medical and dental care
Cons
Had 30 days a year off for vacation.
Enjoyable Place to Work
Ombudsmen (Former Employee) –  Ilwaco, WANovember 10, 2015
Was able to do many different tasks and make a difference in individuals' lives thanks to this position. Was very upset that I had to leave.
Pros
Many opportunities for advancement, great opportunities to try unique things
Cons
Lack of support from command
Everyone Should Join
YN3 (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 10, 2015
Military service is rewarding in many ways. For myself, I enjoyed being on board a ship and travelling to different countries. You'll see and do things that you'll never have the chance to see or do again.
I managed multiple accounts and was responsible for purchasing what the unit needed. I also processed and delivered mail to each department.
Seaman E-3 (Former Employee) –  Alexandria,VA/Ashtabula,OH/Buffalo,NY/Galveston,TXNovember 6, 2015
A very structured and disciplined work environment. Progress was made toward creating a more laid back and comfortable working environment, but every agency has their flaws. I had an array of supervisors that were either goal oriented and not personable or too personable and scatter brained. I learned to balance myself and coworkers at work and off duty. We learned a lot of team building skills when we became successful in balancing work and personal time. It was difficult with constant transitioning throughout the agency, but it also kept things fresh and allowed more room for adaptability and growth. I enjoyed the complexity of the job, because it kept me stimulated.
Challenging place to work
Senior Unix, Linux Engineer (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCNovember 5, 2015
What else can I say, it's contracting work. The work environment there was average complete with difficulties of most IT environments.
Great learning and responsibility training
Boatswain Mate Second Class/ E-5 (Former Employee) –  Montauk, NYNovember 4, 2015
Made me appreciate home and helped me be an effective leader. Enjoyed meeting people all over the country and the diverse environments I faced.
Outgoing Staff & Great department
Senior Financial Analyst/Executive Support (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 4, 2015
Awesome team of people who always looking for ways for the employee to advance. Great management team as well as staff. The typical day of the International Affairs department everyone always look after each others.
Civilian Service
Family Advocacy Specialist (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 1, 2015
If you is looking for a company to work for where when you go home at the end of the day, you can be satisfied that you helped someone.
Pros
Service to country.
Cons
Being stuck in traffic
Great experience with great people
FS / E-4 (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLNovember 1, 2015
A typical work day is from 5 a.m - 6 p.m. Work would consist of cooking for a crew of fifty, damage control maintenance, and medical training. I have worked with great people in the five year span. I learned the importance of teamwork and dedication. The hardest part of the job was the demanding hours when underway which was about 15 hours a day / 7 days a week for a few weeks at a time. I do feel that this was hard but I got to see some great things. The most enjoyable part of the job was being part of a team.
"Merica"
Health Service Technician (HS3) (Former Employee) –  Yorktown, VAOctober 31, 2015
It's the USCG. What more do you say? It's best branch NA. They even make you toast. Anyone who says different is a communist.
Cons
Loved this part of my life
Storekeeper 2nd Class (Former Employee) –  Cape Hatteras, NCOctober 29, 2015
Taught me responsibility and self reliance. Made many friends. Enjoyed traveling around the world. Great benefits. Excellent pay.
Rewarding
Boatswain's Mate (Former Employee) –  Alameda, CAOctober 26, 2015
Everyday is different in the Coast Guard. Whether you are saving a life or patrolling the waters to make it safe for other boaters out there.
benefits
Cons
not enough pay for the coast guardsman

4.5