U.S. Coast Guard

U.S. Coast Guard Employer Reviews

Productive and fun
Boatswains Mate (Former Employee), Cape May, NJJanuary 31, 2015
Pros: pay, easy advancement
Cons: long time away from family
Serving my country was a hard but rewarding job. I got to see and experience many different coultures during my time in the Coast Guard. I learned to keep things neat, along with being punctual. "If you're on time, you're late."
challenging yet rewarding
Chief Petty Officer (Current Employee), USAJanuary 29, 2015
Supervise 6-12 people engaged in all aspects of depot level repair of electronic equipment.
Provide oversight on projects.
Foster relations with other departments and organizations.
Support my people with written recognition, accurate evaluations, and overcoming work/life issues.
great place to work
Machiney Technician 3rd class/ E-4 (Current Employee), grand isle, laJanuary 29, 2015
Great fun place to work, with ample amount of time off to reward for the hard work. The pay is ok for the work and hours you put in. nothing but good things to say about the Coast Guard its just time to settle down.
Job of a Lifetime
International Training Team Leader (Current Employee), Yorktown, VAJanuary 28, 2015
The opportunities presented to me as an International Training Team Leader have been incredible. I've had the privilege of leading 4-10 person teams around the world to locations I would never have gone to otherwise and interacted with military members in each one. I've learned incredible amounts about leadership and teamwork that have really helped me to grow and learn how to adapt to unique and demanding situations.
A great place to work
Seaman/Aviation Survival Technician (Former Employee), Ventura, CAJanuary 27, 2015
an organized area of Homeland Security.
: Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation, First Aid, Surface Swimmer Rescue training, Deck and Engine maintenance. Vessel Boarding Officer, Vessel inspection.
Aviation Survival Technician: Emergency medicine training, helicopter deployment techniques, small engine repair and maintenance. Extensive training in swift water rescue and survival.
Great Service to work for
Electronics Division Chief (Former Employee), Seattle, WAJanuary 26, 2015
The US Coast Guard is a great military service to work for. The small work force and large work load helps you gain experience quickly.
you feel like you have a huge family
Contracting Specialist PO3 (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: benefits and work life balance.
Cons: some supervisors lacked leadership skills.
It was the best 4 years of my life! Pay was low but I wasn't expecting 6 figures. Your duty station work/life was dependent on your leadership. If I could get back in I would.
Great People but limited room for growth
Lieutenant (Current Employee), Yorktown, VAJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: great pay and benefits
Cons: work-life balance could be bad depending on job, little room for growth.
The mission is great but be wary if you are coming in as an officer. They will show you the door after 10 years of dedicated service and punching all the right tickets and not give you a reason.
Challenging
Petty Officer First Class (Current Employee), NY, NY FL NJJanuary 17, 2015
Exciting work and being able to serve my country. Conducting Search and Rescue missions for people in distress. Working as a team to achieve a goal.
proactive
Trainer Coordinator Assistant (Former Employee), Seattle WashingtonJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: take pride in a job that is a genuine service to the public
Cons: the work load gets bigger and the staffing gets smaller
Training new personnel and support of greater Coast Guard Missions. Learning constantly; work with highly skilled and professional CG officers, enlisted and civilians.
Personnel issues are the most challenging, people have life issues that impact their performance, and support is essential to success of the mission statement. Humanitarian service, homeland security and the service of our country is the most enjoyable part of the job.
It's basically an unknown branch of the military
Second Class Machinery Technician (Former Employee), MAJanuary 14, 2015
When I originally enlisted I was on the fence with the Coast Guard or the Army. Not leaving the state I live in was the basic factor for me choosing the Coast Guard. I regretted not joining the Army for some years. But like most people that join the military all of your other friends do to. It might not be the most prestigious branch.

But I was never shot at and I never lost a shipmate during a deployment.

My only advice is to either do 4 years or 20 no need most employers don't know or care about transferring skills.
life learning experience
Machinery Technician Third Class (Former Employee), varoius locationsJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: comradery, life leassons
Cons: time away from home
I had an amazing time while enlisted in the Coast Guard, I learned an unexplainable amount of knowledge that I put to use now in my current trade. Teaches you discipline and pride in ones self
I have enjoyed everthing I have done here.
Machinery Technician Second Class (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAJanuary 13, 2015
I am a reservist, so my days are not typical with the Coast Guard. I have been gone from this unit for a short while, so I am just getting back into different roles with them. Right now I am currently the person that will make sure that everyone knows how to drive the trucks with boat trailer attached safely, I am also in charge of making sure they know how to operate the forklift safely and correctly.
The US Coast Gurad was awesome.
Food Service Manager (Former Employee), Clearwater fl.January 11, 2015
Pros: ship board duty was great, sailing the oceans.
Cons: some of the commands had a lot to be desired.
Working for the Coast Guard was the most rewarding, I wanted to join the Coast Guard since I was 10 yrs old. Saving lives & serving my country.
great culture. great place to start
Personnel Clerk (Former Employee), Governors Island, NYJanuary 11, 2015
Pros: flex time, benefits, job security
Cons: travel
great place to work. They gave me my start in HR. Management was great. Lots of overtime, Flex time was available. Travel was difficult. Have to take a ferry on and off the island.
Great supervision.
Military Environment but close to home
Boatswain's Mate Second Class (Former Employee), Barnegat Light, NJJanuary 9, 2015
A great organization to join and serve your country. Teaches one to be responsible, proactive, manage time, and take pride in work. Some assignments require longer deployments, out to sea, for many months, while others are land based, and comparable to civilian jobs. Great time spent working and learning on the ocean, bays, and waterways of the US and other countries.
The best job i have ever had
Seaman (Former Employee), Hampton Bays, NYJanuary 9, 2015
No day was the same as the last. Which was one of the best parts about being in the Unites States military. i have learned the majority of what i know about respect and devoting yourself to the task at hand from this aspect of my life. The hardest part of this job is realizing you cant save every singe person in the world.
USCG Experience
Procurement & Contracting, Accounting (Current Employee), Seattle, WA & Capemay, NJJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: healthcare, job security, education, experience, comaraderie
Cons: promotions, work schedule, workforce management
With my nine years of leadership experience, I have made consistent career progression, growing as a leader by honing my verbal communication skills and working diligently to earn four promotions in that time. My experience with the United States Coast Guard taught me how to work in a team environment. The tasks that proved to be most challenging were successful because of our motivation and team-oriented culture. Having been stationed in over five units, I gained the unique opportunity to collaborate regularly with a diverse set of team members from several entities that included Coast Guard units, Coast Guard Associations, external sports marketing and promotion teams, Hawthorne Elementary School, FEMA response teams, the Ronald McDonald House, and other military services.
As a Storekeeper (SK), I found myself immersed in several job positions that ranged from procurement and contracting to property management for the Deep Water Horizon Oil Spill in the Gulf Coast of Mexico. Based on my achievements and job experience outlined in my resume, I demonstrated increased responsibility over time, which is also endorsed on my recommendation letters. From 2006 to 2014, I was responsible for maintaining million dollar budgets to forecast spending plans for future fiscal years. With over 100 events managed and a 20-member Honor Guard team, I assigned members and participated in events that honor our military veterans and our country. From 2007 to 2010, I expertly maintained a $26 million physical inventory. By calculating item usage, I could forecast part replenishment and my unit yielded – more... a 98% accuracy count for three years. In 2012, I became my unit’s nonprofit coordinator for a local elementary school. With no budget, less than five volunteers, and minimal experience, a small cast of members and myself methodically brought our program new life. With my passion for marketing, I worked with members of my staff and the school to create attractive promotion plans to increase our fundraising and support. Within eight months, I grew from a staff of five to a staff of sixteen; we contributed over 80 hours of volunteer time, and raised over $2,000.00 for three programs. These programs not only support grade school learning and mentorship, but also increased the Coast Guard’s exposure to a demographic that may be unfamiliar with our service. In 2012, I lead a team of SKs in their triennial compliance audit by developing Excel spreadsheets that tracked unit and department spending. The running ledger was influential in overseeing the unit’s procurement activity. The ledger was user-friendly, requiring only small amounts of data entry. The adopted processed increased the integrity of the unit’s financial process. – less
Great Job for a career
Department Head/ Supervisor (Current Employee), Key West, FLJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: benifits
Cons: military, they own you.
Great co-workers to be with in and outside of work. Its like a giant family. learned plenty of life skills but are not able to master any before you get transferred.
U.S. armed forces
Mk2 (machine technician, petty officer 2nd class) (Former Employee), Cape May, NJJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: good benefits, invaluble experience, i gained knowlege not found in any private organization.
Cons: not much money
An elite branch of the U.S. Military. A great opportunity to work with an extremely diverse group of people. The Coast Guard has a long history, founded in 1790. In the event of hurricanes, the Coast Guard prepares to get underway.

About U.S. Coast Guard

The United States Coast Guard (USCG) is a branch of the United States Armed Forces and one of the country's seven uniformed services. – Read more