U.S. Coast Guard Employee Reviews

Challenging and rewarding
Chief Warrant Officer 4 (finance & supply) F&S4 (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCNovember 18, 2017
This job is what you make of it. You work hard and study hard and you’ll succeed. Advancement opportunities are always available. The benefits are amazing. Invest heavily in your early years and you’ll be able to retire in 20-30.
Pros
30 day vacation, pension, medical, dental, about half your pay is non-taxable, transferable GI bill, my child went to college for 4 years and was paid a $2000 housing allowance.
Cons
Depending on assignments you could be away from home half the year.
militray service
Commissioned (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 16, 2017
Military service is a calling. It is the hard life, great adventure and a chance do and see things you would normally miss. defending our country comes with the job, but unlike the other branches you don't train for the what if, you train to do the mission everyday.
Pros
great experince.
Cons
low financial return
Satisfying job
Operation Specialist/ Telecommunication 2nd class (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, VANovember 16, 2017
wake up in your rack, make your rack, eat breakfast on mess deck, muster on flight deck, disperse to radio room, meeting with shipmates, hear alarm, go to general quarters, man fire hose, sit and wait, gather for evaluations, go back to radio room, received messages, set up circuits, go to fight quarters, go on watch, take shower sleep.
Pros
rocked to sleep
Cons
loud turbine engins
military reserves
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 15, 2017
The Coast Guard gave me some good structure at a young age with plenty of room for advancement. Although I didn't continue my term due to young immature reasons I still would recommend service to anyone.
Extremely rewarding especially in Search and rescue role. Great feeling to help somepne in dire need!
1st Class Petty Officer BM1 Boatswain Mate (Former Employee) –  Va. N.J. St Pete Fl. Miami Fl. Key West. FlNovember 15, 2017
Military Life and work. When on duty every 3rd day or on a Cutter or on cal you were on 24 hours. Normal day 8 hours.

Great service great job, extremely fulfilling and rewarding.

Boot camp will teach you what your made of and that you can do anything. Everyone should have to go through boot. Makes you stronger as a person and sets confidence level at new high.
Pros
Housing Meals, Everything is there for you.
Cons
Relocating every so often, Risks of the job life is put on the line, Pay is not the greatest if your shooting for high inclome.
It was a great job knowing you were always able to help someone in one way or another
Vessel Traffic Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  Staten Island, NYNovember 14, 2017
Joining the Coast Guard was the best decision I have ever made for myself. It not only taught me about the military aspect or this country but it also allowed me the opportunity to grow mentally, physically and emotionally. The Coast Guard offered structure and the ability to continue to always challenge yourself, most of all educationally. I would recommend everyone doing atleast one tour in the military.
The Auxiliary is mainly old people and retireees
Publications Officer (Former Employee) –  Miami Beach, FLNovember 14, 2017
It's a fun place to be but it's mostly retirees and people who want to be a part of something and have a hobby. It's all volunteer and no pay. In fact you have to pay to be there $50/yr.
Pros
fun, interesting, feeling of being a part of something
Cons
no pay and lots of work. But you learn a skill.
Best Job Ever!!!
Health Services Technician Second Class (E-5) (Former Employee) –  New London, CTNovember 13, 2017
It was an adventure! I did patrolling in Florida, I travel a lot around the US. Then, I went to California for my Medic school and that's how i ended up in CT, at the US Coast Guard Academy in New London.
Pros
Great pay, great friends, great experience.
Cons
Constant relocation, dangerous at times and demoted if really out of line
Good Access / Connections
Chief Intelligence Specialist (Former Employee) –  Suitland, MDNovember 12, 2017
Step-child of the military branches that more than pulls its weight in its 11 dedicated missions. Incredible men and women doing all manner of work who don't get enough respect or enough of the government's largesse in DHS / Defense spending.
Relaxed place to work
Industrial Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCNovember 12, 2017
Good place to work. Good co workers with plenty of experience to get the job done. Really clean place with friendly atmosphere. beautiful view of the harbour.
Pros
good retirement
Cons
Traffic to and from work
Awesome and challenging!
Petty Officer Third Class (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 11, 2017
Very rewarding experience. I was able to be on a boat and go out to save lives, then switch over to the management/administrative side of things when I preferred.
Challenging
Senior Marine Inspector (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 11, 2017
Good place to work. Family atmosphere. Professional. Room to advance. Plenty of opportunities. Overall my 22 years of service was a great experience. Truly enjoyable.
very fulfilling career with lots of opportunity. Culture could be improved.
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  variousNovember 10, 2017
The work was very exciting and fulfilling. Lots of opportunities to grow personally and professionally. Lots of stress that forces you to grow and achieve goals. The culture still needs more racial diversity.
Pros
growth opportunity
Cons
poor racial diversity
Best branch of the Military
Petty Officer 2nd Class, USCG Station (Current Employee) –  Port Huron, MINovember 10, 2017
This is a military job. Everyone has a different experience as there are a large variety of roles and jobs available. I really enjoyed for 5 year career and am still in the select reserves. If looking for more info on the USCG, contact a recruiter.
Military
Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  South Portland, MENovember 9, 2017
Close knit family. Very good health benefits. Free housing. Free medical and dental. Ability to travel. Excellent schooling. Very knowledgeable and caring of employees
Long Hours when you are station onboard ships.
Technical Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 8, 2017
I served 28 years, it was great. I started as a E1 ended as an CWO3.
Being low rank sucks but as you move up it gets better. Yes, Rank has its privilege.
Working in Military
Seaman (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LA 70605November 8, 2017
The military is for certain people. I liked the structure and the benefits you get from being in the military. But being away from your family can be hard. Your life becomes the military. It was a good experience.
Cons
being away from family.
Great Career Decision
Lead Instructor/Inspection Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Yorktown, VANovember 8, 2017
Depending on where you are , what field of work you have been to school for...The Coast Guard provides tremendous opportunities for anyone who enlists. You have control of your destiny!!!
Challenging at moment, overall productive.
Enlisted Policy Advisor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 7, 2017
What I learned in the military was discipline and structure. In addition, loyalty and the importance on maintaining integrity above all. Most enjoyable part was meeting new people across the world as I traveled on the cutters I was assigned to and establishing a good rapport with personnel I met throughout the Coast Guard.
Great career opportunity
Supervisor Documentation (Former Employee) –  VariesNovember 7, 2017
The opportunities are broad and achievable. There are a lot of different jobs that the Coast Guard offers and the support to get to the top is none like I have ever been a part of before.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Coast Guard. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5