U.S. Coast Guard

U.S. Coast Guard Employee Reviews

very exciting and much that was learned there and well kept busy I believe was one of the bussiest points in my life experience.
Coxswain (Former Employee), Miami Beach FLMay 25, 2015
Pros: got payed to get my addrenaline pumping
Cons: none
get dressed load up my weapons and stomach with food jump into my vehicle and board the ship look at the coms and departure times next load up on ammo gear up do muster and jump into the action face first asking why last and doing what was asked of me for my country not giving a flip about my life jumping into harms way almost every single day without the glory but within the outskirts of what you would called having freedoms yet had freedoms if that makes any sense at all. sleep..wake up do it all over again then become a possible martyr in life living within the so called real world I lived and suffered in a light poetic way you may say.I am Blessed .I am.
Enjoyable Work Enviroment
Boatswain Mate (Current Employee), Jacksonville FLMay 24, 2015
The missions completed by the organization is amazing and very rewarding. The people that I worked with are great people.
work hard, play hard. travel and new experinces
Seaman (Former Employee), Astoria, ORMay 22, 2015
Pros: benefits, travel, and anything else the military can offer
Cons: your in the military
Being a Coastie is a life changing process that if you can get through boot camp, will award you with sailing the seas or working on a station. I learned how to be a better person and how to enjoy a strong work ethic. Sometimes taking orders can be tough but their are great officers that make it worth it.
Great Career
Supply Specialist Chief (E-7) (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAMay 20, 2015
Pros: Working with a team everyday.
Cons: Moving every 4 years
I loved serving my country for over 24yrs in the Coast Guard. I learned Finance & Budget, Contracting Law, Property Management. The hardest part of this job was deploying for over 6 months at a time. The most enjoyable part of my time in the Coast Guard was the people I worked with and places I got to see.
Flying is great!
C-130 Flight Engineer (Former Employee), Clearwater, FLMay 18, 2015
Pros: Loved Flying.
Cons: Missed being away from my family
When flying; arrive to the air station two hours early, begin preflight 90 minutes before take off. Check cargo manifest, ensure all hazardous cargo was certified and ready for flight. Repair any maintenance problems. Give passengers safety briefing. check all flight systems and air born equipment. Monitor aircraft systems during before takeoff, during flight, and after landing. Manage air crew.

On the ground, repair propellers and engines, maintenance checks, pneumatic system trouble shooting and repairs, rebuild landing gear, train new flight crew teams, safety briefings, maintained and troubleshoot hydraulics. Coordinate with the cargo office in preparing loads for flights, and are properly certify. Take inventory of parts, order parts to maintain operational readiness.
Fun and challenging career
Station Galveston Boat Crew Member/ Medic (Former Employee), Galveston, TXMay 13, 2015
Fun and rewarding career with motivated and dedicated members. Long hours can be hard and time away from home is tough but the rewards make it worth while.
Military job
Machinery Technician (Former Employee), Portland, ORMay 13, 2015
It all depends on how much you ar ewilling to give for your country. Times arent always easy, times arent always hard, its what you make of your time in
Allows work out time daily
First District Security Manager (Current Employee), Boston, MAMay 12, 2015
Pros: Being able to be a part of the team that saves lives
Cons: Long work weeks
Maximum job satisfaction. Expert managment and supportive of professional development of all member of the team. Excellent job opportunities.
Military Service
Machinery Technician (Current Employee), Bellingham, WAMay 11, 2015
Pros: Amazing experience very rewarding
Cons: hurry up and wait but its worth it
Do it. Don't question your self do it. Great profession to get into. So much to experience and see. You will make great friends and see so many cool places
Great organization to work for.
Pollution Response Supervisor (Former Employee), Portland, ORMay 10, 2015
Pros: Opportunities to attend other branch service schools.
Cons: The occasional manager that would micro manage.
As a marine science technician I was able to provide a meaningful impact to the communities that I worked and lived in. During my time with the USCG I have worked with every other branch of the military, I truly had a great experience the USCG.
U.S Coast Guard
Food Service Chief Petty Officer (Current Employee), Seattle, WAMay 6, 2015
Pros: Job security, travel, responsibility.
Cons: Away from family, too many bosses
Everyday is different, challenges, working with others. The most enjoyable about the Coast Guard is the time off and job security.
Outstanding organization that places emphasis on taking care of family
Food Service Specialist, Leadership Diversity (Former Employee), Alameda, CAMay 3, 2015
Pros: long lunch breaks, great family environment, and television available
Cons: being away from your family for months at a time
My day would start from 0500 and go until the job was done. My boss was amazing and took a personal interest in his employees. My co-workers were great as well and was always willing to share their areas of expertise with my shop. I learned that if you treat people with dignity and respect, they will always work hard for you. The hardest part of the job was walking a thin line between being their boss, and being their friend. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing people get rewarded for their hard work, efforts and dedication. Also, people bragged that they didn't feel like they were at work, because the atmosphere was so positive.
Commissary man second class
Commissaryman Second Class (Former Employee), Portsmouth, VAMay 3, 2015
Pros: Got to see a lot of the world and learned how to cook and take care of myself
Cons: none
I was a cook on a Coast Guard Cutter after going to Cook School at Governors Island New York. Spent two years at sea duty. Started out at a Search and Rescue (SAR) Base and went to duty on a 95' SAR cutter.
Great place
Machinery Technician (Former Employee), kingsland gaApril 30, 2015
The United States Coast Guard is a great place to work. I would recommend anyone wanting to get a head start fresh out of high-school to enlist. You not only get a chance to serve your country but you also get a better sense of what it means to be an American.
Productive and fun work place
Yeoman (Admin) (Former Employee), Port Arthur, TXApril 27, 2015
-Life changeing experience
-Learned leadership skills
-Proud veterian, happy to have served my country
-Great work life balance
It was the military
Senior Electronics Technician (Former Employee), Key West, FLApril 27, 2015
Pros: pay, benifits
Cons: long hours, littles freedom
It was the military and a great place to learn skills an allowed for alot of personal and professional growth. I learned a lot about being an electronics technician, working with others, and I really enjoyed it.
Great job but be ready to have much more responsibility than other svcs
Officer in Charge, Surfman (Former Employee), oregonApril 27, 2015
Pros: The current military retirement system for as long as it lasts
Cons: Advancement is very dependent on job specialty
Wonderful career. Know that as an E-2 you will do rough work until you become an E-3 when the work will be slightly less rough.
You will have job security, medical, housing, and a food allowance.
You will travel and much of your success will be up to you!
Great People and Great Work Ethics
SME Oracle Applications (Current Employee), Elizabeth City NCApril 25, 2015
Pros: Latest Technology, Knowledge sharing, Team spirit
Cons: Sometimes too much planning in Agile Development
Having a good time at USCG. Our team is implementing cMRO module for coast guard to handle maintenance of their air, sea and ground assets. We have already gone live with first sets of requirements. Working to wrap up the cMRO module and move to SCM module.
Rewarding
Machinery Technician (Former Employee), Various LocationsApril 24, 2015
The Coast Guard is a rewarding service to work for. It is a small branch of the armed forces so you have to be proficient at my different jobs.
Productive career
Lead Petty Officer (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 23, 2015
All military services are roughly equal in career advancement and possibilities.. Education and training opportunities are available to individuals who seek them out.

About U.S. Coast Guard

The United States Coast Guard (USCG) is a branch of the United States Armed Forces and one of the country's seven uniformed services. – Read more

U.S. Coast Guard Salaries