U.S. Coast Guard Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,018 reviews matching the search
Temporary Employee
Office Automation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD 21226June 14, 2016
I worked for the US Coast for about four months as a temporary employee during the summer. It has a great work environment where both military and civilian workers work harmoniously to achieve everyday tasks and missions!
good
Oracle Database Analyst (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAJune 10, 2016
work was great, love the job, co workers were nice, wish I could of stayed on the contract longer. learned a lot, great experience
Highly rewarding service as a member of the USCG Reserve
Boatswains Mate - Petty Officer 2rd Class (Current Employee) –  Anywhere USAJune 7, 2016
Part time job has turned into a full time career for the past few years.
I decided to dedicate my life to the service of the country.
My time in the Coast Guard has been some of the best recent years career wise.
Camaraderie is great.
work perks are amazing - driving a boat for work, joint training with other military and federal agencies in other assets such as aircraft or other vehicles.
Saving life and property have been the most memorable moments of the job. Nothing compares.
Pros
Management proactively recognizes efforts and rewards you as such. Education Benefits
Cons
not a con - but hours can be long, but expected with search and rescue mission calls over the radio.
productive
Boarding Team Member (Former Employee) –  TexasJune 5, 2016
learned how to work and lead others, good management. co worker had a good attitude i always got along with them. i liked working with others and being a team player and also i liked to helps resolve problems or issues.
Great
Boatswains Mate (Former Employee) –  PhiladelpJune 2, 2016
Great to work for. Great places to work. Great people to work with. People are taken care of. I learned to be a great leader.
Great Life Experiences
Boatswain's Mate (Current Employee) –  Sabine Pass, TXJune 2, 2016
Great for traveling, job security and paying the bills. G.I. Bill covers college, valuable life/job experience. Met a lot of awesome people
Jpmc
Technical Resource Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 31, 2016
Employees are not treated well in the corporation. Especially those who have been with the corporation for many years.
A great experience like no other
E-6; Marine Science Technician (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 30, 2016
Retirement came too soon. The Coast Guard provided me and my family the care and dedication as much I provided to it. Not only did I give my all to this branch of service, but I truly believe that I received the same in return. Education and career development was always in the forefront side by side with full-filling operational obligations.
Pros
education, career development, medical benifits, vast experiences
Cons
travel and uprooting family, advancement process
Excellent Experience
Personnel Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wellesley Island, NYMay 23, 2016
The Coast Guard was a great experience and I miss it quite frequently. We would frequently engage in search and rescue cases or recreational boardings. The management was a little "hit or miss" sometimes in the military people rank up because of their knowledge of the service and not necessarily their leadership skills. Thankfully, I only ran into a couple of bad apples during my enlistment. My co-workers were like family. Even when we were not at work we would always spend time together. I have never found a better example of camaraderie than my time spend in the military. The hardest part of the job was some of the missions we would have to go on - we would not know the outcome. A lot of the search and rescue cases ended well, but there were a few that were not so lucky, it gets to you sometimes, but you have to stay strong. The most enjoyable part of the job was all of the amazing people that I met and the things I got to experience.
Pros
Excellent Benefits
U.S. Military Branch, specializing in search-and-rescue, migrant interdiction, and more.
Food Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 23, 2016
Enlisted military member. Official job title was that of Food Service Specialist. Cooked breakfast, lunch, dinner, and desserts for members of the Armed Forces. Learned mass cooking, different cooking techniques, how to season and taste, baking different items from scratch, time efficiency, multi-tasking, management of those a lower rank. Management was demanding, but also willing to teach new techniques. Co-workers were well versed in different cooking techniques, each had their own unique skills to bring to the table. Hardest part of job was being away from home and 12-14 hour workdays. Most enjoyable part of the job was succeeding in making a delicious meal that people enjoyed.
Pros
Great benefits, pay, insurance
Cons
Demanding and unrealistic supervisors, long work-days
Good job if you have a 4 year plan to use the GI Bill
Storekeeper (Former Employee) –  VirginiaMay 20, 2016
I should have used the educational benefits while on Active Duty, I did receive some quality training that makes me a viable candidate for many different jobs though. Unfortunately the Coast Guard likes to get people good at a lot of things, but doesn't allow their members to be great at any one thing due to being spread so thin. If you're an expert at one part of your job they won't keep you there.
Pros
Medical, Dental, Workout time, Educational Benefits
Cons
Odd hours, inconsistent leadership, poor decision making, illogical
Hard work, can be rewarding
Gunners Mate Second Class (Former Employee) –  multiple locationsMay 20, 2016
Usually two meals a day are provided for you. The work you provide is a wide range of what your designator is to scrubbing down hallways (military doesn't hire janitors) . Some weeks you work to the bones for days on end, others you get to relax. This is nice because it lets you recover, and prepare for harder workweeks.
Pros
health care, educations
Cons
service is getting smaller, and so is the budget, underfunded
Beneficial Place to work
Waterfront Facilities Inspector (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 19, 2016
Typical work day ranges from inspecting foreign vessels and waterfront facilities to responding to pollution calls.

Review of operation, response and security plans.

Contingency planning and exercise preparation/execution
US Military
Operations Specialist Petty Officer Second Class (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 18, 2016
Great military organization. Boot camp in Cape May, NJ is 8 weeks. Sleep deprivation is the hardest thing about basic training.
Great workplace
Commissioned Officer, Lieutenant Commander (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 17, 2016
The workplace was great. The work was meaningful and very impactful. I loved the people I worked with. They were smart, engaged, and deeply cared about what they were doing.
Pros
Great job with meaning.
A Life Opportunity
Engineer/Fireman (Current Employee) –  Curtis Bay, MDMay 16, 2016
The Coast Guard has many positions that a Coastee can enjoy. The overall job is very rewarding because we ensure the safety of others and save lives. We are a small organization so people look out for you like a family would. There's great benefits such a time off, consistent pay, and medical benefits that comes with being a service member.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Needs more leadership classes for supervisors
The most exciting and challeging work experience of my life.
Aircraft Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCMay 13, 2016
Their is no typical wok day but the hours range from 8 to 10 hours days depending on the task at hand. Every day was a new experience. Military and contractors worked in extension of one another, complementing each other in the common goal
to modify and hone new and improved aircraft systems.
Friendly environment with hard working professionals
Program Manager / Human Resource Specialist (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAMay 11, 2016
A typical day at work consist of standard projects with a good amount of time to complete tasks. People are always willing to help and it's a great place to meet professionals. There are times which you have short deadlines but people here are a team and will jump in to help whenever needed.
Pros
Organization cares about promoting health and promoting its people.
Good Ol' Boy Club
Performance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Yorktown, VAMay 9, 2016
The job itself is fine. However, management tends to think that morale and climate are fine, when far from it. Women tend to not climb as far within the civilian ranks, and job preference is given to those men retiring from the Coast Guard.
Pros
Good work/family balance
Cons
Low morale, low opportunity for growth
Productive Service
Chief Petty Officer (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMay 6, 2016
Great job with many benefits including travel and life saving missions.
Got to travel most of North and South America and community involvement.
Pros
Healthcare, income
Cons
Time away from family

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Coast Guard. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5