U.S. Coast Guard

U.S. Coast Guard Employee Reviews

The Coast Guard is family
Administrative Support (Current Employee), Panama City, FLJune 22, 2015
Pros: Great crew
Cons: Crazy hours
I could not ask for a better experience. I feel like Ive done it all and seen it all. The Coast Guard is small enough to where we feel like family.
An extremely good learning experience for any young man or woman.
Certified Boatswain Mate, BM3 (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, Chesapeake AreaJune 21, 2015
Pros: Great people, New environment every day.
I greatly enjoyed my time serving my country and in the United States Coast Guard. I learned many incredible skills and met many amazing people. I also learned a lot about time management given that I was a reservists for most of my time in. I also learned many important leadership skills to take to the real world from my superiors and once being charged with being in a superior position myself.
Hard work
E-3/Seaman - Active Duty (Former Employee), Port Huron, MIJune 19, 2015
Rewarding work. Learned a lot from those before me and definitely appreciate the time spent. A lot of that time was away from home working long hours doing tons of manual labor, but it was worth it. Got to see a lot of new places.
Militay
Petty Officer Second Class (Current Employee), gulfort, msJune 18, 2015
The Coast Guard is a challenging and rewarding Career. Everyday brings new challenges, and through that strong leaders are built. The comradery is second to none, and the opportunities are what have made the individual I am today.
Ever Changing Job
Seaman (Former Employee), Washington, D.C.June 18, 2015
Everyday is a different day in the Coast Guard. Some days are slow, while others are fast paced with search and rescue, law enforcement or VIP tours. The most enjoyable thing about the Coast Guard was making a difference in people's lives, helping them and sometimes saving lives.
Awesome Branch of the Military
Machinery Technician Third Class (Former Employee), FloridaJune 15, 2015
You won't to serve your country then the United State Coast Guard give you the best opportunity to make that happen. I was an engineer, but I also enforced the law. All military have there share of hard work, light work, and danger. That's all I have to say about that.
Great Job
Systems Analyst I (Former Employee), Washington, DCJune 9, 2015
The work environment was great. Made me feel at home. with over 3000 employees that I could have assisted, I never got mad. I could always stay professional.
Poor Leadership
Seaman (Current Employee), CaliforniaJune 4, 2015
Did not learn much of anything worthwhile, however could transfer out as a painter after having painted interior walls and the exterior of a boat hull. If you can get past being a non-rate the job can be very rewarding. But in the meantime leadership is lacking in communication and mentorship.
Challenging but a rewarding experience
IT Configuration/Release Management (Current Employee), Alexandria, VAJune 4, 2015
Responsible for software releases and directing IT change management for the Coast Guard enterprise wide.

Review and approve all installation and configuration documentation.

Responsible for documentation of all shipboard IT hardware configuration changes.
Best Military Branch
Lieutenant (Current Employee), Miami, FLJune 3, 2015
The Coast Guard has been an amazing organization to work for. They work hard to play hard; and the leadership really is taught to care about their subordinates. I have enjoyed working for the Coast Guard.
A Type Personality Haven
Chief Machinery Technician (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAJune 2, 2015
Pros: Benefits, Retirement
Cons: Long hours, incompetent management
A type personalities run rampant. Good old boy network. Management will evaluate you unfairly and management is very very poor. Equipment is outdated and parts were no longer available. Poor coworkers; everyone is out for themselves. You routinely move. Advancement is poor and training is poor. You rotate every few years so settling down is impossible. I did this to take care of my son and no other reason. Changes are rampant and are made by indviduals looking out for themselves. These other positive reviews are false.
Excellent Experience
1st Class Petty Officer (E-6) (Former Employee), Miami Beach, FLJune 1, 2015
The Coast Guard is a great military branch that many people don't is part of the Armed Services. My experience included conducting search and rescue, and enforcement of all federal laws.
Was pretty interesting
Recruit (Former Employee), Cape May, NJMay 28, 2015
Work can vary in responsibility, but it is all very rewarding tasks.
Learned discipline and perseverance while working with great people in the military service. Great amount of dedication is needed for the tasks at hand.
Busy
Aircraft General Mechanic / Structural Mechanic (Former Employee), Elizabeth City, NCMay 27, 2015
Company was great, I learned a number of valuable skills that have allowed me to ability to advance. Heavy workload at times, other times not too heavy.
Great experience/advancements tough
Lieutenant (Former Employee), Portsmouth, VAMay 26, 2015
Ready for the next career adventure. Advancements in the CG right now are horrible and either great people are not advanced or the advancement list doesn't move.
Dedicated Public Service Organization
Facility Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee), United statesMay 25, 2015
Pros: Medical, steady pay
Cons: Long absences from home.
I traveled all over the world, I worked with people of all cultures and training. I developed a sense of pride in what I do, and had great opportunities to develop my technical skills.
very exciting and much that was learned there and well kept busy I believe was one of the bussiest points in my life experience.
Coxswain (Former Employee), Miami Beach FLMay 25, 2015
Pros: got payed to get my addrenaline pumping
Cons: none
get dressed load up my weapons and stomach with food jump into my vehicle and board the ship look at the coms and departure times next load up on ammo gear up do muster and jump into the action face first asking why last and doing what was asked of me for my country not giving a flip about my life jumping into harms way almost every single day without the glory but within the outskirts of what you would called having freedoms yet had freedoms if that makes any sense at all. sleep..wake up do it all over again then become a possible martyr in life living within the so called real world I lived and suffered in a light poetic way you may say.I am Blessed .I am.
Enjoyable Work Enviroment
Boatswain Mate (Current Employee), Jacksonville FLMay 24, 2015
The missions completed by the organization is amazing and very rewarding. The people that I worked with are great people.
work hard, play hard. travel and new experinces
Seaman (Former Employee), Astoria, ORMay 22, 2015
Pros: benefits, travel, and anything else the military can offer
Cons: your in the military
Being a Coastie is a life changing process that if you can get through boot camp, will award you with sailing the seas or working on a station. I learned how to be a better person and how to enjoy a strong work ethic. Sometimes taking orders can be tough but their are great officers that make it worth it.
Great Career
Supply Specialist Chief (E-7) (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAMay 20, 2015
Pros: Working with a team everyday.
Cons: Moving every 4 years
I loved serving my country for over 24yrs in the Coast Guard. I learned Finance & Budget, Contracting Law, Property Management. The hardest part of this job was deploying for over 6 months at a time. The most enjoyable part of my time in the Coast Guard was the people I worked with and places I got to see.

About U.S. Coast Guard

The United States Coast Guard (USCG) is a branch of the United States Armed Forces and one of the country's seven uniformed services. – Read more

U.S. Coast Guard Salaries