U.S. Coast Guard Employee Reviews

Found 1,128 reviews matching the search
Military service
fireman (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 30, 2017
its a job you cant quit. you are around people you may come to love or hate and you may end up being forced to go against your ethics for the sake of orders.
Outstanding organizations with limitless opportunities!
Marine Science Technician (Current Employee) –  VariousJanuary 28, 2017
Great 15 years with the company with outstanding opportunities throughout my career! Travel has been amazing with opportunities to see all of our great nation and several other countries including Afghanistan, Kuwait, Bahrain, and most the Caribbean!
Great job just ready for something new
Avionics Electrical Technician/Sensor Operator (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCJanuary 25, 2017
Loved the job just ready for a better change for my family. We are ready to be closer to home and have a better family support network around us.
Excellent
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Ludington, MIJanuary 24, 2017
Extremely fast paced and great management. Training standards need some improvement; however, overall experience was positive and highly recommend it
A stable military job, but not for everyone
Gunner's Mate 3rd Class (Former Employee) –  VariousJanuary 23, 2017
Working in the Coast Guard made really allowed me to develop as an individual and an employee, however there were costs/sacrifices made. Hours can be long and demanding, but you're never the only one suffering and your peers can be very supportive. You may be forced to move all over the country, but they always give you plenty of paid time off to go visit family should you need to move far away.

The job itself is shaped by the attitude of those who surround you. Your mileage may vary, but I did not have a good experience. At every unit I was stationed at, I was constantly surrounded by people who were negative, unhappy, and genuinely did not want to be there. Because nobody was willing to perk up and try to enjoy the nice aspects of the job, it made for a very depressing work environment. Morale is easily the most important aspect of the job, however this fact seemed to be overlooked in my experience. If you intend on joining a military service with the intention of staying in for years, I would look at other branches. There are simply more things to do, more opportunities to advance, and happier people. If you're dedicated to being the first line of defense for the United States, the Coast Guard might be a good option for you.
Pros
Work/life balance and benefits are untouchable, paid time off is unbeatable
Cons
Job can be difficult/stressful at times, lack of enthusiasm from superiors makes for a negative work enviornment
Amazing and wonderful place to work
Machinery Technician (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 22, 2017
My Career in the United States Coast Guard taught me a lot about myself. I learned how to develop skills needed to perform a variety of occupations.
Educational and Practical Job experience
1ST CLASS ELECTRITIAN MATE (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJanuary 21, 2017
The officers in the Coast Guard ruin the job. The CG officers are all out to get one another and all about themselves. They will step on who ever they need to in order to advance. This results in a workforce that is driven into the ground and exhausted with little to no rest, with the expectation of preforming at a higher level while the officers sit back and sip their tea, and reap the rewards and recognition.
Professional Mariner
Petty Officer Third Class (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJanuary 19, 2017
I enjoy being a reservist in the US Coast Guard. I have worked in the maritime industry for ten years and have enjoyed expanding my experiences, knowledge, and skills. I am currently looking for a new opportunity for myself and my family.
hard non-stop work and fun during the day with good amounts of learning
Fireman (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PRJanuary 18, 2017
i worked in the military for almost 3 years. i was on a boat at first and then got transferred to base services in San Juan, PR. A day at work would consist of going in around 7a.m. and doing anything from construction, painting, food service, nautical equipment, customer service, landscaping and cleaning. Our work day usually ends around 3. Management was fair through communication. Everybody was part of a team to get the job done which made are lengthy tasks short.
Pros
long lunches, multiple breaks breaks, great work schedule
Cons
on call 24/7
Low ceiling for talented individuals
Boat Crew Member (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 14, 2017
Excellent place to work. Unfortunately, geographic stability is an issue for families and there is a low pay ceiling, which deters talented individuals from staying beyond initial enlistment.
Great work enviorment
Government contractor aircraft meahanic (Former Employee) –  C.G Air Station Clearwater clearwater floridaJanuary 11, 2017
You go to work do you're job and go home
I like to learn something every day
Management is key to success for any business
Co-workers are individuals and you must work as a team
Hardest part of any job is the lake of resources
The most enjoyable part of any job is when you sit back and say I accomplished something
Excellent Companie
SALES CLERRK (Current Employee) –  Aguadilla, PRJanuary 10, 2017
Excellent team work. Working in the U S Coast Guard Exchange give me experience and tools to work in any place they teach us values that we can applied to our every day life. Also the importance of team work and respect.
Hardworking atmosphere
COOK (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 10, 2017
Each day brought new challenges and ways to build yourself. Depending on your command te United States Coast Guard is a place to be the best you and to serve your county proudly.
Most Satisfying Career
Master Chief Petty Officer (MCPO/E9) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 10, 2017
Every Job I had in the Coast Guard was the best job I ever had. Great people. Clear mission. Strong values. Bright, enthusiastic highly ethical people to work with.
Coast Guard
Coast guard (Former Employee) –  KaohsoungJanuary 9, 2017
Dictated by the principles of "Open access to the ocean, servicing the public, and safety assurance," the Coast Guard Administration (CGA) has posted successes in coastal waters and the pelagic zone patrols, smuggling and stowaway crackdowns, maritime rescues, natural resource conservation, and public services, since being inaugurated on January 28, 2000.
Taking inventory and cooking for everyone on base.
3rd Class Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAJanuary 9, 2017
Cooking, and handling money.
Working on cash register and the computer system.
Taking inventory.
Running food to the everyone on base as they order the food.
Great experience and opportunity
Enlisted member (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 5, 2017
I have very good job experience and love the people I work with. I have had many opportunities to grow as a leader and personally with education benifits and career growth.
Great Life experience
Recruit/Seaman (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 4, 2017
The USCG was a good life experience but wasn't what I expected or what it was told it was going to be. It was a life learning experience to have under my belt.
Best decision of my life!
Aviation Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  All over the USJanuary 3, 2017
What an experience! I'd do it forever if I could. Got to travel all over the world and experience things people can only imagine about. The job satisfaction will be hard to duplicate!
Good benifits
Machinery Technician (Former Employee) –  MichJanuary 2, 2017
Travel is terrible and advancement is hard. Commands are spotty at best. Leadership is garbage. No one looks out for you like they say they do. Best to just keep your nose down.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Coast Guard. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5