U.S. Coast Guard Employee Reviews

Found 1,073 reviews matching the search
Depends on your rating
Headed and Organizer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 29, 2016
Depending on the job you have in the Coast Guard can make or break your experience you'll have. You can go from a rescue swimmer to a DC or toilet scrubber. A lot of politics with people above you and the best person doesn't always get promoted... Great place to learn something outside of your hometown.
Pros
job security
Cons
politics
Boatswain's Mate (Current Employee) –  Yorktown, VAAugust 26, 2016
Great atmosphere, great organization. Having worked for them for over 20 years, I have learned a great deal about life and leadership.
Military life.
Mechanic for both gasoline and diesel engines (Former Employee) –  USCGC Glacier and PSSTA HoustonAugust 19, 2016
There were no typical days. Sometimes I had different watch shifts. Sometimes I'd get off watch at midnight and get woken up at 2 a.m. because there was a problem in the engine room. All hands on deck. Co-workers were from all over the US. I was on an ice breaker so we would be gone from the US for six months at a time. I did that twice. Got to see a lot of the world: Mexico, Panama, Peru, Chile, Uruguay, Antarctica, Brazil, Trinidad/Tobago. Shore leave was always fun at the ports-of-call that we stopped at. But growing up in Houston and New Orleans, Antarctica is very cold. No worries about health care because we had it all.
Consistant workday
Supply Management Administrator (Former Employee) –  Curtis Bay, MDAugust 18, 2016
I enjoyed the team I worked with but my particular job did not have enough work involved so I went to my team members to get additional work. The chance of advancement at that time was difficult but it may have change over the course of the years.
Challenging and Rewarding
Chief Health Services Technician (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 17, 2016
The United States Coast Guard Reserve has been a very challenging and rewarding work experience. My day-to-day job is very challenging and requires that I complete a number of tasks in a few short period of time. This experience has improved my overall efficiency and task management skills.
I work with a great group of individuals and love going to work every day that I am drilling. The officers above me are great to work for and allow me to address problems and issues with minimal interference.
While this job is very taxing, I find that the most enjoyable part is ensuring that all the members of the unit are healthy and able to perform there jobs inorder to protect the United States.
great team to be a part of
Aviation Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaAugust 11, 2016
The Coast Guard is a family. Selfless and always ready. Fun moral events. Great opportunities to travel and see the world. Great duty station assignments and locations.
Excellent skills aquired
Department Head (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, SCAugust 9, 2016
The lessons I have learned through the service will be with me forever. The life lessons I have acquired have set me up in all aspects of my life and I do not regret joining.
Pros
Great education and training
Great job with awesome people.
Chief Boatswain Mate (Former Employee) –  various units across AmericaAugust 9, 2016
A great place to work. I learned a lot and met some wonderful people on my journey. The Coast Guard knows how to take care of their people. The other good thing is every new job assignment is different from the last, so the job never got stale. Joining the Coast Guard was one of the best decisions I have ever made and I would do it again in a second.
Pros
People, work and life balance, steady paycheck
Outstanding Orginazation
MH-60T Helicopter Prime Unit Maintenance Officer (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCAugust 7, 2016
The United States Coast Guard is a premier service. Responsible for maritime search and rescue, aids to navigation, and maritime law enforcement. Every day is a unique challenge and dynamic work environment.
Pros
Professional orginization
Cons
Move often
The most fun hard work you will ever do.
Boatswain's Mate (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CT (last unit)August 5, 2016
The Coast Guard is great place to work. You work side by side with people of all walks of life. It is an organization smaller than the New York Police Department, with far more responsibility. I will miss the Coast Guard, they are a great group of people.
Pros
On the Job Training and chance to go to advanced schools.
Cons
Away from family alot.
Professional atmosphere with military bearing.
(SAR) communications dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Rio Vista, CAJuly 28, 2016
My duties in the Coast Guard was to be a communications dispatcher. This duty required me to receive distress calls coming from vessels on the San Joaquin delta in California. My other duties were boat crew member and maritime law enforcement officer. On days that I was not designated to stand communications watch I would be on crew.
Pros
Military experience
Cons
Great benefits, but a very impersonal environment.
Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Alameda, CAJuly 27, 2016
A typical work day depended on what type of unit I worked at. At a command center, I would field calls from the public on distressed mariners or law enforcement needs. On a Cutter, we were underway for months at a time and worked around the clock shifts to conduct search and rescue and law enforcement missions. I learned that I am very resilient person and that I can adapted to almost any situation. I also learned how to manage other people in a high stress environment. In the Coast Guard, you meet alot of different type of people and personalities, so for the most part, my co-workers were enjoyable to work with and most of them I keep in contact with as friends. The hardest part of my job, is one ever I had to leave my family for long periods of time. The most enjoyable would be the travel I got to do around the country.
Excellent leadership and culture
Organizational Development Consultant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 26, 2016
Superior military and civilian management coupled with a workforce dedicated to serving the public. Maligned as "typical" federal workers, the US Coast Guard is dedicated to serving the public as effectively and efficiently as possible. I enjoyed working with many self-motivating people.
Uscg
Supervisory Training Specialist GS (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSJuly 26, 2016
The DHS USCG has been a phenomenal place for me to grow and deepen my education. Advancement is extremely limited and the constant turnover of military personnel has its challenges. Nice place to earn your federal time but very limited upward mobility.
Great
Personnel Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 20, 2016
I loved working with the United States Coast Guard. Getting to know people that has lived other places, other cultures.
The family that I worked with were very polite. I learned how to care for an elderly person with patience and tender loving care
Cashier/Sales Associate/Stock (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 16, 2016
A typical day at work would be to give the client personal care. Light housekeeping, laundry, companionship, keep notices on how she's doing throughout the day.
Overall rating is satisfactory
Lead Inventory Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 14, 2016
8-10 hours a day.
I mostly already knew the positions prior to promotion eligability due to having the USAF active duty supply chain experience. Air Force training was so far ahead of the USCG in the supply chain operations.
Mangement needs to work with employees and not be bias toward other service branches.
Co-workers need sensitive training within the office environment.
Nothing was hard about the job. Most of the new hires I worked with had no expereince in the position selected.

I really enjoyed my job!! Knew more than management which hinder my advancement
Pros
They beleive in tele-working of their employees. No accountability on time and attendance.
Cons
Management and GS positions are given to retired CG personnel, No expereince within the position, Retired federal service personnel rehired as contractors
Self fulfilling and rewarding service
Chief Boatswain's Mate (Former Employee) –  world wideJuly 14, 2016
The U.S. Coast Guard is a rewarding career. It is all about working as a team to reach a common goal and complete your missions. The Coast Guard has the best sailors in the world and limits are endless to further your career. The toughest part is being away from your families for months at a time when stationed on the bigger ships. My most enjoyable part of the Coast Guard is piloting/navigating the bigger ships and being out to sea for months at a time.
Pros
Being out to sea and great shipmates
Cons
being away from family
Excellent Workplace, long hours, fulfilling environment
Operations Specialist, Graphic Designer, Webmaster (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJuly 14, 2016
I worked rotating 12 hour shifts standing a communications watch. Most work was done independently and communicated to superiors as a part of a team. Training was regularly provided and a lot of this was while on the job. The hardest part of the job was the rotating hours. The most enjoyable part was actively participating in saving lives.
Excellent experience
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJuly 12, 2016
I served on active duty for 30+ years and enjoyed almost every minute of it. I had several very responsible positions at several commands, including 2 ships. I was always treated well and had some unforgettable experiences.

4.5