U.S. Coast Guard

U.S. Coast Guard Employer Reviews

US Coast Guard
Information Technology Specialist (Current Employee), Chesapeake, VAFebruary 1, 2014
Pros: pay, health care
Cons: old, poor advancement, limited
The US Coast Guard is still in the 1990s. The technology used is very old and budgeting concerns is the standard excuse for not repairing or rewriting software properly. The education for enlisted IT types is not based on real world Information Technology practices and standards, but instead is based on older telephony practices from 10 years ago. Due – more... to the poor leadership any sophisticated or even standard Information Technology or networking practices are generally handled by contractors. Advancement is based on memorizing pointless trivial facts based on said older practices. Therefore individuals being advanced are unprepared and unknowable about real world practices that are needed to accomplish the most basic of tasks. Once these leaders advance they are labeled Course Matter Specialists and so the broken cycle continues. Some of my co-workers are self learners and have made efforts to educate themselves on standard real world practices by getting certifications or college degrees. The hardest part of the job is working for an organization that does not want to improve. The most enjoyable part of the job is the pay and benefits. – less
Very high enegry job setting
Subsistence Specialist E (Former Employee), Portsmouth Va.January 25, 2014
The hardest part about the job was the extended periods of time away from my children. The best part of my experience was meeting new and different people, and learning about their cultures.
Felt like i made a difference
Mess Specialist (Former Employee), Portland, MEJanuary 25, 2014
Pros: got to travel
Cons: had to overcome homesickness
This was my favorite job. I got to see a lot of different things to help make me the man that I am today.
New Position
Administrative Officer (Former Employee), Portsmouth, VAJanuary 23, 2014
New position. Workload and positional responsibilities undergoing changes.
great job if you feel you need to give back to your country.
Machinery Technician Third-Class (Former Employee), Oak Island, NC ; Yorktown, VA ; Coos Bay, OR.January 16, 2014
Pros: gives you the satisfaction of making a difference
Cons: long hours and times where you dont see family for extended period of time
a typical day at work consists of standing watch, doing maintenance on the boats, and getting signoffs for qualifications. Learned alot about teamwork, leadership, followership, and what it means to be a part of something big than you. The management was as is expected of military you had you favorites and your least favorites. The hardest part of the – more... job at first was being away from family at extended periods of time. Then became the toll it took on you from working non stop 24/7 in those conditions. The most enjoyable part of the job was the instances that you get to see in someones eyes the gratitude of coming to the rescue and in some instances saving their lives. Makes you feel like Superman. – less
Strong Career with Superb Benefits and Proud Background
Petty Officer (Former Employee), Miami, FLJanuary 16, 2014
Amazing Experience! A small group of motivated individuals team up everyday to perform the crucial duties of Search and Rescue, Aids to Navigation, Law Enforcement, Protecting the Environment, National Defense.
my review
Electronic Key Manager (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIJanuary 15, 2014
Pros: secure in knowing a paycheck will be there twice a month
Cons: the hours
The job I do has many facets, every time I transfer it seems that I don't do the same job. There is always a learning curve, but that is what makes the job new and therefore enjoyable.
Great way of life
Electronics Technician (Former Employee), Ketchikan, AKJanuary 13, 2014
The Coast Guard puts their members first in all accounts. At all levels, retention is a primary focus. The Coast Guard motto of Honor, Respect and Devotion to Duty shines through during active duty and beyond.
U.S. Coast Guard
E-3 Fireman (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 11, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: long wait lists for a-schools
There is no typical day in the Coast Guard, as would be expected from any military branch.
The hardest part of the job is the lack of schedule, when your'e needed, you're needed and you go.
There are less people in the U.S. coast guard than there are in the New York Police Department. This gives a good idea of just how small of a branch we are, and – more... how many responsibilities we have.
The most enjoyable part of the job was waking up everyday and being proud of who you were and what you were doing. – less
The Best of the five branches of the military
Instructor and Program Manager (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 10, 2014
Coming from a military family, it was difficult to determine what branch to join. After reviewing the type of work and the missions of each, the US Coast Guard came out on top.

Because of the small size of the branch in comparison to the others, even the most junior members are entrusted with a great deal of responsibility. This, coupled with the world – more... class training one receives, creates highly competent and driven individuals. – less
Overall good experience, I grew up a lot, and had good times.
Machinery Technician (Former Employee), Buzzards Bay, MAJanuary 8, 2014
Pros: the benefits were great, and everything was taken care for you.
Cons: morale was low, you spent to much time at work and not enough with family
The typical day was fixing or doing preventive maintenance on equipment around the station. I liked my co-workers, everyone was in a way family. The hardest part of the job was the constant changing in personnel, and the morale was very low.
amazing experience
Aviation Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), united statesJanuary 7, 2014
had the time of my life. Great life amazing people on the inside. Tight group and very well organized. Was really able to leverage training into outside experiences. Would go back in a second.
being productive getting ready with busy schedule
Certified Dental Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 5, 2014
Pros: na
Cons: no prking space and no benefits, salary cut!
Its the most rewording part to get ready active duty people for their mission on time. as well as maintain beautiful smile which gives you a confidence that's what I love about dentistry!
Retired after 24 years of service. Honorable retired
Machinery Technician Chief Petty Officer (Former Employee), United StatesJanuary 3, 2014
I had a wonderful experience being in the Coast Guard. Retired Machinery Technician Chief Petty Officer
Exciting and Rewarding experience
Seaman (Former Employee), Alaska and OhioJanuary 3, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: long hours, meager pay, strict rules
The chance to save someone's life was always at hand. At anytime we could be called to duty, whether for law enforcement or search and rescue reasons.
not for the faint of heart
Federal Boarding officer (Former Employee), UNITED STATESJanuary 2, 2014
ran search and rescue missions on small boats on the ocean and in swamp areas good way to get killed
Commitment
Food Service Specialist 2nd Class (Reservist) (Current Employee), Georgetown, SCJanuary 1, 2014
Pros: salary, benifites
Cons: deployment
when its good its great, when its bad it awful, some shipmates I would trust with my life, some shipmates should be restricted from breeding.
excellant organization
executive officer (Former Employee), Ilwaco, WashingtonJanuary 1, 2014
The ability to serve in such a team enviroment and work with people that perform at an extremily high level everyday was an honor and a privaledge
Enjoyable
Petty Officer Second Class (Current Employee), San Diego, CADecember 30, 2013
I learned valuable managerial skills in the time I was stationed there.

I learned a lot about law enforcement and how to deal with different situations.

The best part about the job is the people you work with.

The hardest part is being away from home for extended periods of time.
Challenging and educational
E-3 Boatswain's Mate (Former Employee), East Tawas, MIDecember 28, 2013
Pros: great benefits and job security
Cons: stationed closest to my house
The Coast Guard made me stronger and more dedicated to my job and promoted my work ethics. The job constantly challenged me as a person. It made me a much stronger employee with better values within the work place. My co-workers were always great to work with and help out in any situation. The hardest part of the job was constantly keeping up with certifications. – more... The most enjoyable part was going out and helping people that were in distress. Really making a difference in someone else’s life. – less

About U.S. Coast Guard

The United States Coast Guard (USCG) is a branch of the United States Armed Forces and one of the country's seven uniformed services. – Read more

U.S. Coast Guard Photos