U.S. Coast Guard Employee Reviews

Found 1,123 reviews matching the search
Search and rescue very exciting
Chief Boatswains Mate (Former Employee) –  Numerous statesDecember 14, 2016
Every day is different. Search & rescue can be very exciting. It's great to help people and save lives. Your boat crews are like family and are friends for life.
Pros
Excitement and saving lives.
Cons
Away from home a lot
Excellent Career Choice
Command Senior Chief (Former Employee) –  San Pedro, CADecember 12, 2016
The Coast Guard will give you everything back that you put into it. Even through tough budgetary times, the Coast Guard still watches out for their own.
Advancement opportunities are available
Machinery Technician (Former Employee) –  Sausalito, CADecember 12, 2016
I was fortunate to have been placed under the supervision of some of the most knowledgeable and hard working individuals that I have ever had the opportunity to learn from
Pros
Wide Knowledge base, travel all over the world
Cons
No control over where you traveled
Best darn service, ever.
Lieutenant, O-3 (Current Employee) –  Multiple LocationsDecember 11, 2016
You are limited only by your desire to be flexible and creative with your opportunities. There is stress associated with working with any military service, but a desire to try will get you far.
Satisfying
Aviation Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 11, 2016
I enjoy helping people and serving my country. It is a thankless job for the most part, but you don't sign to be thanked. You sign up because you feel it is your duty.
Challenging but great
Transportation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCDecember 9, 2016
Being in the Military is very challenging, but the experience that you get being transferred to many different locations through out the US and overseas is incredible. Having been placed in many different situations with a diverse workforce and workload has allowed me to be able to adapt and adjust to many different situations in my life. It has given me skills that are not common in today's workforce.
Having to do my duties with limited resources has allowed me to develop skills and abilities to get the job done no matter what is presented to me.
Pros
Travel, life experience, leadership experience
Cons
Moving often, limited resources to perform duties
Challenging job
Storekeeper (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLDecember 8, 2016
Former Reservist here. I served at three different units and each one I had different duties. Co-workers and the environment was great at each. Overall a great experience.
Lots of great benefits
Boat Crew Member/Radio Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Astoria, ORDecember 7, 2016
It was a great experience and the benefits were awesome. It was hard at times not making some of the choices I was used to making prior to enlisting but I met a lot of really great people who will be lifelong friends.
productive and fun work place
Lead Seaman (Former Employee) –  Crisfield, MDDecember 6, 2016
If you are a person that enjoys helping people on a daily basis and serving your duties as law enforcement then this job is for you.
benefits
Cons
It was a good experience
Machinery Technician (Current Employee) –  St Petersburg Beach, FLDecember 5, 2016
Learned alot, it was a great experience. Take advantage of all schooling and travel opportunities. Plenty of different jobs to do and Carear opportunitys in the military. We spend a large amount of time away from home but the honor is worth it.

Want to know more about U.S. Coast Guard?

Ask a question
Strive PSL
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 2, 2016
Strive was an outstanding non profit organization that offered me the training I needed to continue working in a field where I can assist others. I am so grateful for the supportive staff and all that I learned
Productive and very good work place for hard workers
Marine Technician December, 2011 - January, 2017 (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 1, 2016
A typical day of work consists of tasking workers with jobs that need to be completed first thing in the morning. Organizing all work for the week to complete in a timely manner. I have learned how to become a effective leader for working with others in order to complete any task. The hardest part of the job was finding enough work to challenge myself and the most enjoyable part of the job was completing the job and seeing the outcome of a hard days work.
Benefits
Structure, Expirience, and Support.
Intern Welder (Former Employee) –  Astoria, ORDecember 1, 2016
A military base that helped a student out with an internship, let her do things on her own to learn from her mistakes and use thought process well. Very welcoming and knowledgeable.
Life changing experience for the best.
Electricians Mate Second Class (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLNovember 30, 2016
Set myself up for a successful future. Completed preventative maintenance on Coast Guard Cutters throughout the Gulf of Mexico to Jacksonville, FL.
the Coast Guard Rocks
Opeations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 30, 2016
I spent my years in the Coast Guard and I learned a lot about team work and responsibility. I can't say anything bad about it.
Great place to start a career or use to pay for college
MACHINERY TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Rio Vista, CANovember 28, 2016
Great career for those looking for fun, excitement, challenges and a rewarding Job. Lots of opportunity for advancing and completing a degree.
Pros
Great benefits and a rewarding work environment
Cons
Scheduling and duty positions can have difficult hours
Good chapter of my life
Engineer/Finance (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 28, 2016
The military can be overbearing.. that being said the coast guard is most likely the best branch and hours can be doable at land units. Leadership is young, which can cause issues due to the tempers flaring, but can be overcome with some political swag.
benefits
Cons
Underway
military training
Petty Officer Third Class (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 27, 2016
all of my core values and work ethic came when i was in the military. i have been all over the world and done a lot of cool things during my service.
U.S. Coast Guard is the jewel of the military branches
Marine Engineering Inspector (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 27, 2016
Low stress work days
Learned everything there is to know about being a professional
Ample management opportunity
Diverse work force
Hardest part of the job is policy and politics
Most enjoyable part of the job is job security
Pros
Everything one could ask for in job security
Cons
It's the Military, political games
Retired Chief Warrant Office
Chief Warrant Officer (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYNovember 27, 2016
Hi paced positions requiring quick thinking on your feet. Having the ability to lead small to large groups.Having responsibility for the execution of Search and Rescue and Law Enforcement operattions
Pros
Responsibility, helping others in life or death situations

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Coast Guard. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5