U.S. Coast Guard

U.S. Coast Guard Employer Reviews

Great learning experience.
Gauge Calibration Technician (Former Employee), Portsmouth, VASeptember 9, 2014
Pros: work out time, hour long lunches, and benefits
Typical day of work if working locally consisted of scheduling gauge and meter calibrations dates and local calibrations. Otherwise our team was on the road traveling to our customers for calibrations. Hardest part of my job was balancing gauge calibration duties and electrical maintenance duties, while traveling 30+ weeks of the year. Most enjoyable – more... part of my job was how challenging it was to manage and balance both of my duties. – less
See the world
Boat Crew Engineer (Former Employee), Buzzards Bay ,MASeptember 9, 2014
Pros: seeing the world
Cons: being away from family
Learn how to take responsibilities, work as a team.

Seeing the world.

serving my country
Challenging workplace where every day was something new
OPERATIONS SUPERVISOR (Current Employee), Port Angeles, WASeptember 7, 2014
Pros: companionship, great bosses, flexible hours
Cons: being away from family
A typical day at work depended on the different duty stations I was assigned. On some days you were required to put in a full 12 hour shift. My main duties involved monitoring emergency channels during the entire 12 hour shift. Some days were slower than others. I learned a lot about teamwork, handling high pressure situations, working in a challenging – more... environment when the case might change from minute to minute. I had great managers who always tried to make sure we had all of the tools we needed to complete our mission. The hardest parts of the job were the long, tedious, sometimes slow hours and then needing to shift into high gear with very little notice. The most enjoyable part of my job was being about to help others during sometimes the worst part of their day or their life. – less
The most outstanding and pivotal moments of my life.
Logistics Manager (Former Employee), Charleston, SCSeptember 2, 2014
There is nowhere, where you can work, saving lives, helping other, while being intrigued every day than the military. In my opinion everyone should have to do at least three years, in any branch. It was the most amazing time, I learned my life long career skill, along with how to really perform under some well acknowledge demands.
USCG
Food Service Specialist (Former Employee), alxandria bay, nySeptember 2, 2014
Great job with great benefits. Leadership is hit or miss. Advancements lock up depending on your rate. Long hours for the pay given but the benefits make up for it.
You get what you ask for
Health Service Technician (Current Employee), Seattle, WAAugust 30, 2014
Pros: good pay and advancement
Cons: 8 year contract. skills don't transfer into real world
Its the military. Its hard work, long hours, but great benefits and pay. Go to as many schools as you can.
A memorable experience in my life helping and serving.
AVIATION SURVIVAL TECHNICIAN (Former Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 28, 2014
The Coast Guard was a great opportunity to serve my county, give back to my country and allow me to be a part of a service that upholds integrity and core values. It was trialing at times dealing with the abrupt or unconventional work schedule, but eventually balanced itself out with promotion.
Great for an office person
contractor (Current Employee), Washington, DCAugust 28, 2014
Great if you want to work in an office as a ctr. Contract work is a good time and pay is well. I worked in DC and the new building is out of the way and not in a good location. That is my only complaint.
constantly working out, and learning in the classrooms
Seaman Recruit (Former Employee), Cape May, NJAugust 26, 2014
Pros: good pay, healthcare, dental
Cons: long hours, short breaks
During my time as a seaman recruit we were also looking sharp, in shape, and learning new thing on the job.
I am committed to my country.
E-3 Fireman (Former Employee), Middletown, CAAugust 26, 2014
Pros: the entire experience.
Cons: i should have continued my enlistment and become a pilot.
I could not have chosen a more satisfying branch of our military.
Best job in the world. Very rewarding
Petty Officer Third Class (Former Employee), worldwideAugust 25, 2014
Pros: advancement opportunitys
Cons: death
• Honorable Discharge
• Station Master at Arms, supervised maintenance of buildings, equipment and vessels
• Led routine boat maintenance
• Conducted homeland security patrols, security escorts and protection of critical infrastructure
• Assisted with search & rescue mission, drug and counter terrorism patrols
• Crane and boat davit operator
• Shipboard – more... firefighter
• Assisted in joint operational drug and migrant patrols in the Caribbean during deployments
• Aided in Hurricane Katrina relief efforts
• Team Leader/NCO
• Investigate terrorist threats, and drug Intel, and boating accidents. – less
It's the Military.
Safety Specialist (Former Employee), Norfolk, VaAugust 24, 2014
Pros: pay is better than it used to be.
Cons: you get yelled at a lot, even if it isn't your fault or if you were not even there.
Show up on time and keep a clean uniform and life is good. Otherwise you will not work out.
Very Stable fun job
Machinery Technician (Current Employee), virginiaAugust 23, 2014
* very well managed
* Job security
* great co-workers
*deployments are great and fun
* free schooling
* family life can get stressful
A day in the life of a Coast Guardsman
Petty Officer 3rd Class (Former Employee), Virginia and TexasAugust 20, 2014
Pros: benefits, learn a special skill
Cons: being away from your family
A day in the life of a Coast Guard person includes waking up and immediately jumping into a day where anything can happen. As an engineer you make sure all the boats and machinery are operable because at any time you could get a call that there are 5 people aboard a sinking vessel that need your assistance. I learned to always expect the unexpected – more... and of course i learned a lot about fixing engines and machinery. at the start of the day you are given a work list and you and your co-workers have fun completing the tasks by working together and sharing personal stories to pass the time. The hardest part of the job is getting a call about a missing person, doing a search for 3 days and knowing there's nothing you can do because you already know the outcome. On the other hand when you get a call and rush over to the scene and you happen to save the lives of those in need, it's such a rewarding feeling. – less
a lifetime exerience
Petite Officer (Former Employee), Galveston, TXAugust 18, 2014
life lesson, an unforgettable opportunity , dedication, responsibility discipline, endurance, compassion overall feeling the unity of my pierce and my country.
it was a good experience
Machinery Technician third class (Former Employee), Bradenton, FLAugust 18, 2014
the coast guard was a good time but they rip you off. i didnt do much at work until there was an alarm. my managment was not very good. i learned a lot about engines, boat systems, being a mechanic, troubleshooting, tools and water.
Very family friendly environment
Information Systems Technician (Current Employee), Petaluma, CAAugust 17, 2014
This branch of the military focuses a lot on the individual and making sure that he/she has all of the resources available to make their lives as easy as possible (given the circumstances).

*Great Benefits
*Good pay
*USUALLY good management
*Very family-friendly
Saving lives and protecting the U.S.A.
Maritime Security boarding team member (Former Employee), Ocean City, MDAugust 15, 2014
A great way to give back to your country. A typical day consists of working on boats and responding to the needs of the boating public.
16 year Coast Guard retiree
Marine Science Technician (Former Employee), all over the United StatesAugust 12, 2014
After sixteen years in the military I have developed great skill sets that will translate into the private sector. I enjoyed my career in the Coast Guard and if it weren't for an accident that left me temporary disabled I would have retired after 20 years of service instead of 16. I received an early retirement due to a job related accident. I have – more... since recovered from my accident and look forward to joining the workforce again. I have a lot to offer. – less
Great experience.
Logistics Specialist (Current Employee), Port Arthur, TXAugust 12, 2014
Pros: pay scale, steady work schedule
Cons: inexperienced supervisors
I personally love working in the Coast Guard. Every day I learned something new and your shipmates are like family.

About U.S. Coast Guard

The United States Coast Guard (USCG) is a branch of the United States Armed Forces and one of the country's seven uniformed services. – Read more