U.S. Coast Guard

U.S. Coast Guard Employee Reviews

You will get out what you put in
Officer/Pilot 0-3 Lieutenant (Former Employee), Miami, flMarch 19, 2015
Pros: adventure, training, jobs that matter, people, opportunity, stability, pay, benefits
The Coast Guard's Motto is "Jobs that Matter." They are not falsely advertising to say the least, but you will get out of the Coast Guard what you put into them. Like any military organization, it is not and should not be looked at as the last job you will ever have. You will have the opportunity to go on missions you never dreamed of, you will learn how to rely on each-other and the premise of what team work is.

The con's, as we see through government organizational hierarchies is that promotion is based on time in as the most key factor.

Its not perfect, but it is pretty darn good.
awesome job
Petty Officer Third Class (Former Employee), south padre island, texasMarch 16, 2015
couldn't say anything bad about this job. great ppl to be with and also a great military branch to serve. job locations are awesome near the water at all times
NA
Data Analyst (Current Employee), Oakland, CAMarch 16, 2015
My first government experience has been a very good experience. It is a laid back environment with the military. I hope to learn more about the government as my experience grows.
Good work environment
Mechanic (Former Employee), Barnegat Light, NJMarch 16, 2015
I've learned a lot during my time in. I've worked with some great people. You're always busy. Plenty of opportunity for growth
Great Military Marine Service
Damage Controlman Chief (Current Employee), Highlands, NJMarch 15, 2015
Pros: world travel, sense of accomplishment.
Cons: being away from family for weeks, months, even years.
A typical day may consist of a schedule that could start, depending on type of unit and job, starting at 6:30am-8:00am and will usually end, again depending on unit and job, at 1:00pm-4:00pm. Dependent on your rate(trade) or rank, you would be required to stand overnight duty for facilities or security watch. The Coast Guard is the smallest branch of the United States military. I believe that we are one of the hardest working branch by carrying out equal responsibility using far less members. The most enjoyable part of my job, is seeing the results of the latest project bring satisfaction to others.
Wonderful experience
Petty Officer Second Class (Former Employee), Various locationsMarch 10, 2015
Joining the Coast Guard right out of high school gives a young person the discipline and direction that many need. It can also give them extra money towards college. Travel the country and do some great work along the way, without the danger of going overseas and getting shot at.
Overall experience
System Analyst (Former Employee), Washington DC SWMarch 9, 2015
Terrible management in the IT department, not enough resources for day to day troubleshooting. Co-workers were under qualified and no room for growth because of favoritism.
military
Seaman (Former Employee), Key West, FLMarch 9, 2015
typical military job. chain of command can be frustrating. never home. tough to advance pay grades due to assignment. depends on where your stationed
Rough Seas
MACHINERY TECHNICIAN 1ST CLASS (Current Employee), Key West, FLMarch 5, 2015
Pros: working with great men and women
Cons: bad on marriage
Show up at 6 a.m. doing light offs, which is putting all the machinery online. Disconnecting all the shore ties and leaving the pier for a 60 day patrol. Once you are out there, make a watch schedule. I stood the Engineer of the Watch (EOW) . Which means I was in charge of all the machinery on board the ship. Pretty much like a board operator at a refinery. The Work day starts at 7 am while you are U/W and ends at 4 pm. You do drills pretty much all day during the work day and after the work day. Its very tiring job but someone has to do it.
Overall good place to work.
OPERATIONS SPECIALIST (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIMarch 5, 2015
Pros: pay/benefits
Cons: supervisors
This is a military service, not Walmart. It has its ups and downs like any other place. I was a member for over eleven years, working in communications and search and rescue.
Great for men
Petty Officer Second Class Yeoman (Former Employee), Alameda, CAMarch 4, 2015
Pros: friendships
Cons: everything else
Depends on your career position.
Management, ie Chiefs and above, its all politics and your voice is not heard.
Hardest part of the job: as a female, being taken seriously.
Most enjoyable part: being able to say you did it and survived...once you're out.
Outstanding Service
Intelligence Chief & Corporate Security Officer (Current Employee), Tampa, FLFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: mission, pay, benefits, and family environment
Cons: relocate every 2 to 4 years
Committed to this fantastic service for 26 years. Highly recommend to anyone, obtained three college degrees with no loan payments. A true maritme organization that strives on humanitarian, law enforcement and regulatory missions.
Great organization to work for but be cautious of policy changes.
Maritime Enforcement Specialist (ME) (Current Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: work environment
Cons: policies
I enjoyed my years in the Coast Guard but due to updated policy changes my career came to an end. I would not have minded serving until eligible for retirement.
Fun in the Sun
Boatswains Mate Third Class (Current Employee), United StatesFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: site seeing and training
Cons: not flexible when on assignment
Proficient in marlinespike, deck, and boat seamanship; manages, supervises, and administers personnel and facilities; navigates vessel and serves as deck watch officer and boat coxswain; trains, directs, and supervises personnel in seamanship, maintenance, rigging, deck equipment and boats; supervises damage control and working parties; maintains discipline; operate and maintain heavy equipment used in loading and buoy tending work. Knows standard boat nomenclature and terminology; knows and uses basic marlinespike seamanship including line types, construction and materials, knots and hitches and deck fittings; manages and trains boat crew in the topics discipline, personnel safety and survival techniques, wellness, first aid, and CPR; maintains boat safety and rescue equipment; understands boat construction, stability and maneuvering characteristics; identifies and applies survival procedures during emergencies; performs stokes litter use during medical evacuation activities; understands proper techniques for assisted towing operations; understands and operates emergency pumps in damage control situations; understands, operates, and demonstrates marine firefighting equipment; Master of small vessels including marine navigation, radar collision avoidance, and piloting skills; uses electronic navigation equipment; understands marine meteorology; understands and applies the collision regulations (Rules of the Road); maintains a safe navigation watch; understands anchoring procedures; knows and uses proper radio communications techniques; and understands and demonstrates use of pyrotechnics.
Supervisors are weak
SAR Controller (Former Employee), Key West, FLFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: people, job security
Cons: training for supervisors and leaders
I left the Coast Guard after 11 years because I was not happy the direction that my rate was going, I was also not pleased with the state of the guard inreguards to upper leadership having a stuck in the past mentality.
An opportunity to gain experience not found elsewhere
Machinery Technician (Former Employee), Newport Woods Hole BahrainFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: full opportunities for females, travel, pay, advancement, learning skills, benefits
Cons: discrimination, micro-managers, ineptitude
I served close to 10 years, primarily active duty and some as a reservist. I was a machinery technician and was stationed on a buoy tender (175'), small boat station, and then Patrol Forces Southwest Asia. I went straight from boot to a-school. I loved being an MK but by the time I got out I was a Chief and turning wrenches was a thing of my past. I'm back in school and hoping to get back into the military as an officer, but I do not regret the time I spent with the CG. Firefighting, seamanship, crane operation, law enforcement, search and rescue, antiterrorism activities, living abroad and traveling the world are all experiences I had during my time in service. I'm not sure I could have found that elsewhere.
Of course, you get to work with all types and have no choice about it. Some are smart hard workers and eithers are lazy and will try to get away with anything (often succeeding). Of course, you see that everywhere. I just wish there was a better way to weed them out.
Productive and every day is different
Operations Officer/Logistics (Current Employee), Georgetown, SCFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: work schedule is 7:30am-3pm, healthcare, play ping pong on breaks to enhance team coordination skills
Cons: have to move jobs every 4 years.
The first part of my day starts off with reviewing discrepancies in our logistics database. If there is one that has been submitted, then I take the correct steps to make sure this discrepancy gets resolved in a timely manner. Some of these discrepancies range from ordering parts locally or sending it to our sector level for price approval. After that has been taken care of, I make quality assurance checks to make sure these processes are being handled effectively and efficiently. Lastly, on any given day I could be called upon by my senior leaders to organize projects, conduct intel meetings, and training sessions for my fellow co-workers. The senior leadership at my current work place for the most part is excellent. I enjoy working with them because our team work and communication superb. The hardest part about my job is being able to change gears in any given second of the day. However, working for the U.S. Coast Guard it becomes second nature. The most enjoyable part of my day is when my subordinates come to me for help and I have the answer for it.
Amazing Experience Where Jobs Really Mattered
Operations Specialist (Former Employee), Washington DCFebruary 18, 2015
The US Coast Guard was a phenomenal job. Great benefits, great personnel, and above all great opportunities to see the world. I've personally visited 4 Continents and learned so much about thier cultures. Learning technical skills, personal skills, and professional skills along the way.

The hardest part of the job was the stamina to stand an ever vigilant watch. From 12 hour watch rotations, to being there through inclimate weather, we were there. Even through the tough nights, the satisfaction that we were keeping the waterways safe was the true reward.

The most enjoyable part was the traveling. Seeing so much of the Caribbean and even parts of Europe and Africa, was such a thrill. Meeting dignitaries and common folk and learning about their ways of life was an amazing experience.
Great Career
Operations Officer (Former Employee), Jonesport, MaineFebruary 17, 2015
I found the job to be challenging and very rewarding. I enjoyed the challenges I faced daily, I found all people I worked with to be enjoyable.
Learned much about leadership and management
Electronic Repair Technician (Former Employee), Many Locations throughout the United StatesFebruary 13, 2015
Head Supervisor at Electronics Systems Support Detachment Detail in Southport, NC, logistics management and operations team of the coastal North Carolina electronics and computer systems and support.

Experienced manager of complex organizations, active duty personnel and civilian employees.

Highly skilled administrator of thousands of hours of electronic maintenance on various types of marine/tower navigation and communication electronic equipment and computers systems.
MANAGEMENT

Lead Supervisor at U.S. Coast Guard Electronics Detail Detachment, Southport, NC, consisting of 30 small boat assets, 3 U.S. Coast Guard Small Boat Operations Stations, one Marine Safety Unit.

Implemented 24-hour customer support on both electronic and Information Tech fields.

Managed, researched, and assisted with small boat station new tower installations and assisted with conception to production. These systems were highly instrumental in the success all U.S. Coast Guard Missions within the area.

Supervised all upgraded training systems and methods, cross-trained personnel in job duties resulting in lower supervision requirements, and a saved a significant amount of man-hours to complete maintenance, and complete repairs.

Lead Electronics Technician aboard the U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Hollyhock in Port Huron, MI. Responsible for a multitude of military personnel, along with all maintenance, repairs to all electronic navigation and communication equipment alongside all computer systems support, repair, and systems user server maintenance and repairs

About U.S. Coast Guard

The United States Coast Guard (USCG) is a branch of the United States Armed Forces and one of the country's seven uniformed services. – Read more

U.S. Coast Guard Salaries