U.S. Coast Guard

U.S. Coast Guard United States Employee Reviews

morale
Management Analyst / Civilian Resource Coordinator (Current Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 7, 2015
Morale is 100% Join the coast guard and feel good about life. The people are simply amazing to work with. I never wanna leave!
job with a purpose
Command Master Chief Petty Officer, E-9 (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAFebruary 7, 2015
Pros: keeping america safe
no better purpose than serving others. Professional mariner in the finest sea service. Saving lives and protecting our maritime boarders.
Proud to be a US Coast Guardsman.
A rewarding opportunity
Certified Teacher-Safety (Former Employee), Detroit, MIFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: training future seaman
i would conduct classes that taught the rules of the water such as,
charting navigation, landmarks, weather patterns and hazards, boat safety such as how to properly launch a vessel.
Good place to learn skills
Electricians Mate Second Class (Current Employee), United StatesFebruary 5, 2015
If you are starting your career you will learn a lot and you really have the opportunity to learn about whatever field you are wanting to go into.
Great Career
Fireman/ Watch-Stander (Current Employee), Panama City, FLFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: benefits, healthcare
Coast Guard Station Panama City provided me with a sense of pride in serving my country. This is a job that is very rewarding and beneficial to growing as an individual and as a team player.
Excellent Organization
IT Portfolio Manager (Former Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 3, 2015
I attended the U.S. Coast Guard Academy straight out of high school, and upon graduation, served another 21 years as a commissioned officer. This organization was a great launching pad to a second career. While serving, I acquired three advanced degrees, two professional certifications, a wealth of experience and countless friendships. I highly recommend a career in the Coast Guard to any young adult starting out.
Military
Petty Officer (Former Employee), United StatesFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: meet a lot of great people
Cons: moving every 3-4 years.
The Coast Guard is a part of the Department of Homeland Security and is often over looked as one of the Armed Forces of the United States.
Productive and fun
Boatswains Mate (Former Employee), Cape May, NJJanuary 31, 2015
Pros: pay, easy advancement
Cons: long time away from family
Serving my country was a hard but rewarding job. I got to see and experience many different coultures during my time in the Coast Guard. I learned to keep things neat, along with being punctual. "If you're on time, you're late."
challenging yet rewarding
Chief Petty Officer (Current Employee), USAJanuary 29, 2015
Supervise 6-12 people engaged in all aspects of depot level repair of electronic equipment.
Provide oversight on projects.
Foster relations with other departments and organizations.
Support my people with written recognition, accurate evaluations, and overcoming work/life issues.
great place to work
Machiney Technician 3rd class/ E-4 (Current Employee), grand isle, laJanuary 29, 2015
Great fun place to work, with ample amount of time off to reward for the hard work. The pay is ok for the work and hours you put in. nothing but good things to say about the Coast Guard its just time to settle down.
Job of a Lifetime
International Training Team Leader (Current Employee), Yorktown, VAJanuary 28, 2015
The opportunities presented to me as an International Training Team Leader have been incredible. I've had the privilege of leading 4-10 person teams around the world to locations I would never have gone to otherwise and interacted with military members in each one. I've learned incredible amounts about leadership and teamwork that have really helped me to grow and learn how to adapt to unique and demanding situations.
A great place to work
Seaman/Aviation Survival Technician (Former Employee), Ventura, CAJanuary 27, 2015
an organized area of Homeland Security.
: Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation, First Aid, Surface Swimmer Rescue training, Deck and Engine maintenance. Vessel Boarding Officer, Vessel inspection.
Aviation Survival Technician: Emergency medicine training, helicopter deployment techniques, small engine repair and maintenance. Extensive training in swift water rescue and survival.
Great Service to work for
Electronics Division Chief (Former Employee), Seattle, WAJanuary 26, 2015
The US Coast Guard is a great military service to work for. The small work force and large work load helps you gain experience quickly.
you feel like you have a huge family
Contracting Specialist PO3 (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: benefits and work life balance.
Cons: some supervisors lacked leadership skills.
It was the best 4 years of my life! Pay was low but I wasn't expecting 6 figures. Your duty station work/life was dependent on your leadership. If I could get back in I would.
Great People but limited room for growth
Lieutenant (Current Employee), Yorktown, VAJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: great pay and benefits
Cons: work-life balance could be bad depending on job, little room for growth.
The mission is great but be wary if you are coming in as an officer. They will show you the door after 10 years of dedicated service and punching all the right tickets and not give you a reason.
Challenging
Petty Officer First Class (Current Employee), NY, NY FL NJJanuary 17, 2015
Exciting work and being able to serve my country. Conducting Search and Rescue missions for people in distress. Working as a team to achieve a goal.
proactive
Trainer Coordinator Assistant (Former Employee), Seattle WashingtonJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: take pride in a job that is a genuine service to the public
Cons: the work load gets bigger and the staffing gets smaller
Training new personnel and support of greater Coast Guard Missions. Learning constantly; work with highly skilled and professional CG officers, enlisted and civilians.
Personnel issues are the most challenging, people have life issues that impact their performance, and support is essential to success of the mission statement. Humanitarian service, homeland security and the service of our country is the most enjoyable part of the job.
It's basically an unknown branch of the military
Second Class Machinery Technician (Former Employee), MAJanuary 14, 2015
When I originally enlisted I was on the fence with the Coast Guard or the Army. Not leaving the state I live in was the basic factor for me choosing the Coast Guard. I regretted not joining the Army for some years. But like most people that join the military all of your other friends do to. It might not be the most prestigious branch.

But I was never shot at and I never lost a shipmate during a deployment.

My only advice is to either do 4 years or 20 no need most employers don't know or care about transferring skills.
life learning experience
Machinery Technician Third Class (Former Employee), varoius locationsJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: comradery, life leassons
Cons: time away from home
I had an amazing time while enlisted in the Coast Guard, I learned an unexplainable amount of knowledge that I put to use now in my current trade. Teaches you discipline and pride in ones self
I have enjoyed everthing I have done here.
Machinery Technician Second Class (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAJanuary 13, 2015
I am a reservist, so my days are not typical with the Coast Guard. I have been gone from this unit for a short while, so I am just getting back into different roles with them. Right now I am currently the person that will make sure that everyone knows how to drive the trucks with boat trailer attached safely, I am also in charge of making sure they know how to operate the forklift safely and correctly.

About U.S. Coast Guard

The United States Coast Guard (USCG) is a branch of the United States Armed Forces and one of the country's seven uniformed services. – Read more

U.S. Coast Guard Salaries