U.S. Coast Guard

U.S. Coast Guard Employee Reviews

Enjoyed my time in the Coast Guard
Electronic Technician (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 13, 2015
Enjoyed my time in the Coast Guard made some outstanding friends.
Learned to be an Electronics Technician, and a Quality Assurance Representative.Enjoyed traveling.
Great Benefits and fun place to work
Marine Engineering and Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Woods Hole, MASeptember 8, 2015
Great retirement benefits and medical coverage. Whether breaking ice, saving lives, enforcing fishing regulations, protecting the USA from illegal immigration or protecting our country you won't find a more challenging job.
By and large a great experience. I got to see alot of Hawaii and Alaska
Telecommunications Speciallist (Former Employee) –  Leavenworth KansasSeptember 7, 2015
My first eighteen months in the Coast Guard were spent on the USCGC Jarvis out of Honolulu. I performed most of the tasks associated with being a seaman; alot of painting and cleaning. The last three and a half years were spent as a radioman. I was essentially a dispatcher for C-130 airplanes and search and rescue helicopters during this time.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Some long hours
Great Career
Storekeeper/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCSeptember 6, 2015
i would recommend the Coast Guard. Great benefits
if you are african american you will experience racism but there are policies in place to protect you
Pros
Great benefits, Pay
Cons
moving every 4 yrs
overall experience
Boatswain's Mate (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTSeptember 3, 2015
Over the past four years I have really enjoyed my enlisted time in the Coast Guard. I have been placed in many leadership roles and have been able to help save lives and keep America's water safe. I have met some amazing friends and have had both terrible leaders to learn from and incredible leaders to learn from.
The most rewarding part of my job is saving a life, there is something special about handing back a child to a worried mother and telling her everything is going to be ok. I am going to remain in the Coast Guard reserve, however the reason I am getting out is because I need to be home more often to spend time with my wife and daughter.
Pros
learned new skills, and self developement
Cons
a lot of time away from family
Great
Office of Health, Safety & Work-Life (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 3, 2015
This was an excellent tool that I used for me to find employment. Thank you for being our there for use to use to find jobs. Great information for everyone.
Great organization to work for.
Boatswains Mate (Former Employee) –  Kenosha, WISeptember 2, 2015
U.S Coast Guard is one of the best organization that you will ever work for, great pay, good benefits, a lot of useful training, from first aid to firefighting and beyond, ton of traveling if you are station on board a ship, with that said there is also the long days of search and rescue, migrant ops and so on.
Pros
Good benefits, and pay
Cons
The long days
U.S. Coast Guard
Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VASeptember 1, 2015
Honor, respect, and devotion to duty are the core values of the USCG. After six and a half years on active duty, (nearly five of those as an Electronics technician) I have learned to carry myself in a professional manner and and perform at a high level. I'm a results driven, detail oriented individual who enjoys working with a team. I live a very active lifestyle and try to bring a positive energy into anything I do.
Pros
training, travel, experience
Cons
work-life balance, lack of promotion
exciting adventures daily
BM3/ Petty officer third class (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 29, 2015
Got to travel all over the world ij the four years I was in. Met some awesome people that I still see today. Was involved in search and rescue, law enforcement and Katrina relief.
Pros
new adventures every day
Cons
long periods away from home
Worthwhile career
Administrative Division Chief (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIAugust 28, 2015
Hard to beat the opportunities, people, and benefits. Deployments can be hard if you have spouse and children. Extremely rewarding career in all aspects.
Pros
Advancement and Education opportunities, the people
Cons
Old and outdated ships
Structured work schedule depending on location/duty
Machinery Technician (Former Employee) –  Nashville, tnAugust 27, 2015
Fair supervisors with an open door policy. Not much time off depending on where you're located, or what position you hold. Benefits are ok.
Coast Guard Semper Paratus
2nd Class Storekeeper (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAAugust 27, 2015
My four years in the Coast Guard were the best of my working career. Great units and excellent education that helped me excel in my civilian careers. Anyone coming out of high school that is looking to better themselves and serve their country this is the branch of the military for you.
Fun Training.
Recruit (Former Employee) –  Cape May, NJAugust 25, 2015
It was a lot of training involve.
A lot of cool stuff.
Was good.
My shipmates were awesome.
The Training was hard.
Everything was enjoyable about the training.
Search and rescue and law enforcement
E-2 (Former Employee) –  Beach Haven, NJAugust 25, 2015
honorable discharge

Law Enforcement, search and rescue, yeoman duties for the command, security patrol, greeting visitors, conducted tours, radio watch for the helio-ops from other stations.
Pros
Searching and rescuing distressed boaters and water enthusiats, conducting searches on boats to ensure that no alcohol and drugs were on board, training with the FBI and Cape May Coast Guard helicopter pilots
Cons
The station was officially closed down because of cutbacks
US Coast Guard
Yeoman (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAAugust 23, 2015
The Coast Guard has given me the tools that I need to be able to complete administrative functions. Specifically at my last unit was management of training funds and travel orders, as well as customer service with demanding members.
the most enjoyable part of the job
Machinery Technician (Current Employee) –  Alameda, CAAugust 18, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the people that you meet there. You might have one or two guys that will ruin your day, but for the most part, its a great team.
Seaman
Seaman Recruit (E-2) (Former Employee) –  Saint Clair Shores, MIAugust 12, 2015
It's basic military life . Not too much fun . Had to watch out for false accusations . My typical day at work is self explanatory . Can't give out too much details .
Professional and Productive Workplace.
IT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAAugust 5, 2015
Average 50 hours a week at office and an additional 10 plus on nights and weekends. I supervise the IT staff and manage 30 people total.
Everyday was a different experience
Gunners Mate 2nd Class (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LaAugust 5, 2015
I transferred tools and parts, equipment and supplies to and from work stations and other areas. Disassembled broken or defective weapons equipment and replaced parts as needed. I examined and tested machinery, equipment, components and parts to insure serviceability. I performed maintenance procedures on hydraulics and weapons.conducted search and boarding of boats. I was also in a unit called MSST which stands for Marine Safety Security Team, it was established after 911. I aslo worked and maintained a Armory, where I received weapons and signed out weapons from personnel
Pros
I feel I made a difference in my work
Cons
Advancement was hard to achieve
Fun way to see new areas and learn new skills right out of high school
Fire Control Technician (Former Employee) –  United StatesAugust 2, 2015
Fun challenging way to gain some experience and see some different areas for a person right out of high school who does not wish to go to college. Can be a good career for a person who can handle time away from home and not being able to live where you choose.

4.5