U.S. Coast Guard

U.S. Coast Guard Employee Reviews

Great Career
Operations Officer (Former Employee), Jonesport, MaineFebruary 17, 2015
I found the job to be challenging and very rewarding. I enjoyed the challenges I faced daily, I found all people I worked with to be enjoyable.
Learned much about leadership and management
Electronic Repair Technician (Former Employee), Many Locations throughout the United StatesFebruary 13, 2015
Head Supervisor at Electronics Systems Support Detachment Detail in Southport, NC, logistics management and operations team of the coastal North Carolina electronics and computer systems and support.

Experienced manager of complex organizations, active duty personnel and civilian employees.

Highly skilled administrator of thousands of hours of electronic maintenance on various types of marine/tower navigation and communication electronic equipment and computers systems.
MANAGEMENT

Lead Supervisor at U.S. Coast Guard Electronics Detail Detachment, Southport, NC, consisting of 30 small boat assets, 3 U.S. Coast Guard Small Boat Operations Stations, one Marine Safety Unit.

Implemented 24-hour customer support on both electronic and Information Tech fields.

Managed, researched, and assisted with small boat station new tower installations and assisted with conception to production. These systems were highly instrumental in the success all U.S. Coast Guard Missions within the area.

Supervised all upgraded training systems and methods, cross-trained personnel in job duties resulting in lower supervision requirements, and a saved a significant amount of man-hours to complete maintenance, and complete repairs.

Lead Electronics Technician aboard the U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Hollyhock in Port Huron, MI. Responsible for a multitude of military personnel, along with all maintenance, repairs to all electronic navigation and communication equipment alongside all computer systems support, repair, and systems user server maintenance and repairs
dedicated
Chief Food Service Officer (Former Employee), Astoria, ORFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: benefits, housing, compassion, and the ocean
Cons: being away from the family in two month intervals.. half my life is at sea. i love the sea
the growth potential within the USCG is amazing. Having dedication to the protection of the United States. Travelling all around the world. seeing new cultures and growing from them.
Great Career Choice
Information Systems Technician (Current Employee), Saint Petersburg, FLFebruary 9, 2015
I originally joined the military for direction, the Coast Guard gave me that in bunches. It helped me grow as a person, and as a professional. I would recommend the Coast Guard for anyone looking for a different opportunity.
Working for the Coast Guard
Information Systems Technician (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOFebruary 9, 2015
•Maintained servers, scheduled backups, monitored 60+ workstations, and preformed daily/weekly maintenance as needed
•Printed and delivered daily, weekly, and monthly reports to the Watch Supervisor and Department Leads
•Briefed watch supervisor and department leads on status of all equipment and repairs
•Preformed records management for Coast Guard Software, implementation and maintenance.
•Managed military, civilian, and contractors throughout the workday
•Maintained and altered metrics according to operational needs and operational outcomes.
•Ordered and maintained stock of parts needed for repairs to meet operational objectives
•Performed daily inspections of Coast Guard uniforms
•Ensured all orders are carried out by Coast Guard personnel as directed by Unit Commander, Orders, Policies, and Directives
My Experience in the Coast Guard
Storekeeper (Former Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: great benefits, great people
Cons: "occupational hazards"
The Coast Guard is a wonderful organization for team players and go-getters. The spontaneity will keep you on your toes. Make sure you know all the right people; it makes a world of a difference in your career in the military.
morale
Management Analyst / Civilian Resource Coordinator (Current Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 7, 2015
Morale is 100% Join the coast guard and feel good about life. The people are simply amazing to work with. I never wanna leave!
job with a purpose
Command Master Chief Petty Officer, E-9 (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAFebruary 7, 2015
Pros: keeping america safe
no better purpose than serving others. Professional mariner in the finest sea service. Saving lives and protecting our maritime boarders.
Proud to be a US Coast Guardsman.
A rewarding opportunity
Certified Teacher-Safety (Former Employee), Detroit, MIFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: training future seaman
i would conduct classes that taught the rules of the water such as,
charting navigation, landmarks, weather patterns and hazards, boat safety such as how to properly launch a vessel.
Good place to learn skills
Electricians Mate Second Class (Current Employee), United StatesFebruary 5, 2015
If you are starting your career you will learn a lot and you really have the opportunity to learn about whatever field you are wanting to go into.
Great Career
Fireman/ Watch-Stander (Current Employee), Panama City, FLFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: benefits, healthcare
Coast Guard Station Panama City provided me with a sense of pride in serving my country. This is a job that is very rewarding and beneficial to growing as an individual and as a team player.
Excellent Organization
IT Portfolio Manager (Former Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 3, 2015
I attended the U.S. Coast Guard Academy straight out of high school, and upon graduation, served another 21 years as a commissioned officer. This organization was a great launching pad to a second career. While serving, I acquired three advanced degrees, two professional certifications, a wealth of experience and countless friendships. I highly recommend a career in the Coast Guard to any young adult starting out.
Military
Petty Officer (Former Employee), United StatesFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: meet a lot of great people
Cons: moving every 3-4 years.
The Coast Guard is a part of the Department of Homeland Security and is often over looked as one of the Armed Forces of the United States.
Productive and fun
Boatswains Mate (Former Employee), Cape May, NJJanuary 31, 2015
Pros: pay, easy advancement
Cons: long time away from family
Serving my country was a hard but rewarding job. I got to see and experience many different coultures during my time in the Coast Guard. I learned to keep things neat, along with being punctual. "If you're on time, you're late."
challenging yet rewarding
Chief Petty Officer (Current Employee), USAJanuary 29, 2015
Supervise 6-12 people engaged in all aspects of depot level repair of electronic equipment.
Provide oversight on projects.
Foster relations with other departments and organizations.
Support my people with written recognition, accurate evaluations, and overcoming work/life issues.
great place to work
Machiney Technician 3rd class/ E-4 (Current Employee), grand isle, laJanuary 29, 2015
Great fun place to work, with ample amount of time off to reward for the hard work. The pay is ok for the work and hours you put in. nothing but good things to say about the Coast Guard its just time to settle down.
Job of a Lifetime
International Training Team Leader (Current Employee), Yorktown, VAJanuary 28, 2015
The opportunities presented to me as an International Training Team Leader have been incredible. I've had the privilege of leading 4-10 person teams around the world to locations I would never have gone to otherwise and interacted with military members in each one. I've learned incredible amounts about leadership and teamwork that have really helped me to grow and learn how to adapt to unique and demanding situations.
A great place to work
Seaman/Aviation Survival Technician (Former Employee), Ventura, CAJanuary 27, 2015
an organized area of Homeland Security.
: Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation, First Aid, Surface Swimmer Rescue training, Deck and Engine maintenance. Vessel Boarding Officer, Vessel inspection.
Aviation Survival Technician: Emergency medicine training, helicopter deployment techniques, small engine repair and maintenance. Extensive training in swift water rescue and survival.
Great Service to work for
Electronics Division Chief (Former Employee), Seattle, WAJanuary 26, 2015
The US Coast Guard is a great military service to work for. The small work force and large work load helps you gain experience quickly.
you feel like you have a huge family
Contracting Specialist PO3 (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: benefits and work life balance.
Cons: some supervisors lacked leadership skills.
It was the best 4 years of my life! Pay was low but I wasn't expecting 6 figures. Your duty station work/life was dependent on your leadership. If I could get back in I would.

About U.S. Coast Guard

The United States Coast Guard (USCG) is a branch of the United States Armed Forces and one of the country's seven uniformed services. – Read more

U.S. Coast Guard Salaries