U.S. Coast Guard Employee Reviews

Found 1,130 reviews matching the search
Search and rescue very exciting
Chief Boatswains Mate (Former Employee) –  Numerous statesDecember 14, 2016
Every day is different. Search & rescue can be very exciting. It's great to help people and save lives. Your boat crews are like family and are friends for life.
Pros
Excitement and saving lives.
Cons
Away from home a lot
Great environment to work in.
Non-rate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 16, 2016
The USCG taught me to use quick thinking and decision making in a very stressful situation. I learned to work cohesively with a team towards a common goal. My co-workers quickly turned into family as we all had to share the waters in dangerous and life-threatening situations on a daily basis. Through all the rough seas and public interactions I learned to be quick on my feet, but not quick to judge people and their circumstances.
Pros
Family-like workplace.
Cons
Life-threatening situations on a daily basis.
Advancement opportunities are available
Machinery Technician (Former Employee) –  Sausalito, CADecember 12, 2016
I was fortunate to have been placed under the supervision of some of the most knowledgeable and hard working individuals that I have ever had the opportunity to learn from
Pros
Wide Knowledge base, travel all over the world
Cons
No control over where you traveled
Good job if you have a 4 year plan to use the GI Bill
Storekeeper (Former Employee) –  VirginiaMay 20, 2016
I should have used the educational benefits while on Active Duty, I did receive some quality training that makes me a viable candidate for many different jobs though. Unfortunately the Coast Guard likes to get people good at a lot of things, but doesn't allow their members to be great at any one thing due to being spread so thin. If you're an expert at one part of your job they won't keep you there.
Pros
Medical, Dental, Workout time, Educational Benefits
Cons
Odd hours, inconsistent leadership, poor decision making, illogical
Great organization with great people
Waterways Management (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 20, 2017
Great organization to be involved and great people to serve next to day in and day out. A great amount of knowledge is shared between all levels of the organization and regardless of rank or position, all voices are heard from the lowest member to the most senior staff of each unit.
Great benefits, but a very impersonal environment.
Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Alameda, CAJuly 27, 2016
A typical work day depended on what type of unit I worked at. At a command center, I would field calls from the public on distressed mariners or law enforcement needs. On a Cutter, we were underway for months at a time and worked around the clock shifts to conduct search and rescue and law enforcement missions. I learned that I am very resilient person and that I can adapted to almost any situation. I also learned how to manage other people in a high stress environment. In the Coast Guard, you meet alot of different type of people and personalities, so for the most part, my co-workers were enjoyable to work with and most of them I keep in contact with as friends. The hardest part of my job, is one ever I had to leave my family for long periods of time. The most enjoyable would be the travel I got to do around the country.
This was a good position because the work involved a skill which I had mastered as a paralegal.
FOIA ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 8, 2015
A typical day was to be productive, get along well, accept new challenges and to work hard. The opportunity to work closely within a group allowed me to get to know my colleagues.

The most enjoyable part of the job is to be able to perfect my skills and to get to make new associates in my areas of work. The management team was easy bur a challenge to get along with and most time fair in their decisions of making choices on assignments and office politics.

Unfortunately, as the work began to be completed contracts began to expire and many staff members were no longer around.
Decent family life, upper management does not care about employees
Electronics Technician / Petty Officer 3rd Class (Current Employee) –  Chincoteague Island, VAOctober 30, 2016
I worked for the USCG for almost 6 years. Immediate supervisors worked with me very well to accommodate family life and responsibilities. Commanding officers are quick to turn their back and wipe their hands of enlisted personnel in times of need. Seemingly seeking to punish members at any given opportunity.
Low ceiling for talented individuals
Boat Crew Member (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 14, 2017
Excellent place to work. Unfortunately, geographic stability is an issue for families and there is a low pay ceiling, which deters talented individuals from staying beyond initial enlistment.
Professional Mariner
Petty Officer Third Class (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJanuary 19, 2017
I enjoy being a reservist in the US Coast Guard. I have worked in the maritime industry for ten years and have enjoyed expanding my experiences, knowledge, and skills. I am currently looking for a new opportunity for myself and my family.
Great Benefits
Storekeeper (Former Employee) –  Sault Sainte Marie, MINovember 2, 2016
Challenging and rewarding work experience.
Personal and professional growth.
Fun and diverse co-workers.
Family oriented workplace.
Unique training opportunities.
Unique and fulfilling opportunities
Incident Management (Former Employee) –  Sault Sainte Marie, MIFebruary 7, 2017
The U.S. Coast Guard has a variety of jobs and opportunities. Primarily focusing on search and rescue the U.S. Coast Guard is a humanitarian military branch. A small service but great people with a high quality of teamwork.
Pros
Health Insurance
Cons
Challenging schedules
USCG Information Systems Technician
Information Security Officer & Help Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Point Reyes Station, CAJune 20, 2016
Usual schedule on land units is 7-3
Most days are spent working in a team environment
Many opportunities for additional training
Work in most fields of IT
toughest part of the job is being relocated regularly
Best part of the job is the workshop environment
benefits
Cons
time spent away from family
Great branch of service, dedicated people
Foreign Vessel Compliance Inspector (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 10, 2016
Working with the Coast Guard over the years has been a great experience. I have worked with hundreds of people, worked in many different jobs that have enabled me to hone my skills as a Environmental Safety Specialist.
Pros
Lived and see alot of this world and people
Cons
Away from family for long periods of time
It was a good experience
Machinery Technician (Current Employee) –  St Petersburg Beach, FLDecember 5, 2016
Learned alot, it was a great experience. Take advantage of all schooling and travel opportunities. Plenty of different jobs to do and Carear opportunitys in the military. We spend a large amount of time away from home but the honor is worth it.
Great Life experience
Recruit/Seaman (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 4, 2017
The USCG was a good life experience but wasn't what I expected or what it was told it was going to be. It was a life learning experience to have under my belt.
great bunch of people, management a little questionable
Seaman E-3 (Former Employee) –  Kodiak Alaska Miami flaFebruary 16, 2017
At my last job cleaning outdoor grill shack, maintaining public areas, repairing any items broken, or getting or ordering parts as needed. Cleaning and maintaining other areas and buildings as needed.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
short breaks
Fun easy
Marine Mechanic/Facilities maintenance (Current Employee) –  AlaskaFebruary 11, 2017
Cool places
Good health care
Good food
Good bosses
Lots of "overtime"
Boring sometimes
Cool missions
Not good for family
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
To easy
Great job just ready for something new
Avionics Electrical Technician/Sensor Operator (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCJanuary 25, 2017
Loved the job just ready for a better change for my family. We are ready to be closer to home and have a better family support network around us.
Life in the Military
Boatswain's Mate (Current Employee) –  MultipleNovember 26, 2016
It's ok. Depends on the unit you get stationed at and what rate you decide. Choose your rate, choose your fate. The jobs are relatively simple and you will receive training for any job you decide and with all the C-schools available you will be able to attain a ton of certifications while in.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Coast Guard. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5