U.S. Coast Guard

U.S. Coast Guard Employer Reviews

Great place
Seaman/E-3 (Current Employee), Miami, FLMarch 10, 2014
Great People, you get to travel and you learn a lot! You do fun and exciting things that you would not be qualifed to do in the cilivian world. You get trained here to do your job right.
Please find attached resume
Yeoman 2nd Class /Administrative Assistant for U.S (Former Employee), New Orleans, LAMarch 8, 2014
I loved working for The United States Coast Guard. There's nothing better than coming home from a hard day of work knowing that what you do has an impact on the United States. There's no greater feeling than serving your country.
Very hardwork but necessary.
Lead Engineer (Former Employee), Seattle, WAMarch 6, 2014
Pros: travel, experience.
Cons: being away from home often
I learned how to be a team player and the value in it. Best of all working for my country was the best reward.
Loved it!
Machinery Technician (Former Employee), Jonesport,ME. , Honolulu,HI. , Savannah, GA.March 6, 2014
Pros: benifits and retirement
Cons: away from home for weeks at a time
I love the job, job training and work environment military benefits and retirement are great.
Serving the Citizens of the United States
Seaman (Former Employee), Marathon, FLMarch 5, 2014
Pros: schedule, job that matters
Cons: advancement
Typical Day
-Search and Rescue cases
-Law Enforcement
-Detaining people from entering the country illegally
-Best part was working for a cause
A great life experience, would not be the person i am today without this opportunity.
Fireman (Former Employee), Cape May, NJFebruary 27, 2014
Pros: lifetime of memories.
Cons: pay was terrible.
Being in the Coast Guard was the hardest job of my life, and was also the most fullfilling. I learned skills i will never forget and was taught how to be the best at what i do, no matter what i do.
Productive and fun place to work
MST Rate Knowledge Manager (Current Employee), Yorktown, VAFebruary 26, 2014
Training Center Yorktown is a very well kept secret. All of the staff is very knowledgeable and willing to help students and coworkers in any way possible. I hate that I have to leave!!!
Exciting and honest workplace with friendly individuals who i would trust with my life.
Seaman (Former Employee), Astoria, ORFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: honor, respect, and devotion to duty.
Cons: almost no down time, always on the move. the job is stressfull
On a typical day i would report to duty muster at 0600 and learn what we would be doing that day in particular. it ranged from painting to restructuring the ships layout. i learned many things from the proper way to handle all important classified documents to learning how to handle a small boat and its crew.
Best of the best
Petty Officer 2nd Class (Former Employee), Cape May, NJFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: high caliber of people
Cons: it's the military- some jobs are dangerous
Entering the armed forces- Coast Guard is awesome. Can be long days and hard work, but compared to other branches you will be given great amounts of responsibility in a short amount of time.

I was in Army also, and unless you like working alongside gang bangers (literally) the USCG is where it's at.
Great teamwork and family support.
AMT1/ E-6 (Former Employee), Mt. Clemens , MIFebruary 20, 2014
Pros: great advancement and great benefits.
Cons: lots of moving around and no chance to settle for any length of time.
Military life with set goals and good advancement. Good managers and coworkers who are respectful and highly motivated.
Fulfilling experience with Amazing learning opportunities
Operations Specialist (Former Employee), WIFebruary 19, 2014
I was a coordinator for search and rescue operations on the western shore of Lake Michigan. Supervised all operations at 9 smaller Coast Guard Units. Communicated with distressed vessels to ascertain information to build search patterns. Collected information to be used various types of operations. This job was extremely fulfilling, knowing that I helped – more... to save lives. – less
Good work-life balance.
IT and Resource Management Material Specialist (Former Employee), DC HQFebruary 16, 2014
Good work-life balance.
Fun place to work.
Awesome Gym.
Competent Coworkers.
Management Structure could be reevaluated.
Pivotal Turning Point
Title Operations Specialist 3rd Class (Former Employee), Staten Island, NYFebruary 16, 2014
Pros: great benefits
As an Operations Specialist in the Sector NY Command Center my tasks were : Search and Rescue Comms, Sending and receiving secret messages, vessel traffic management, VHF/HF radio handler, log keeper, overnight watchstander (review resume for complete listing).
My co-workers became my family as any military unit does, but completing the mission was – more... always the top priority. Each section complimented the other.
The most enjoyable part of the day was the feeling of a job well done, amidst all the immense pressures of the position.
The hardest part was maintaining an emotional distance from the more gruesome sides of the job. – less
Tour of duty on inland navigable waterways was personally rewarding.
Boatswain's Mate Second Class Petty Officer (Former Employee), New Orleans, LAFebruary 13, 2014
Pros: secure employment. no end of job lay offs. satisfaction with helping people in trouble.
Cons: low wages.
Duties included small patrol boat handling(82 feet, 40 feet and 30 feet lengths), navigation on inland waterways in Mississippi and Louisiana, maintenance of small patrol boats of steel and fiberglass hull construction.
Sea and Air Search and Rescue operations on Lake Ponchatrain and Mississippi River.
Towing disabled private small boats on Lake Ponchatrain.
Boarding – more... commercial boats to investigate and measure liquid cargo leakage for pollution control. – less
very exciting place to work
Gunners Mate First Class (Former Employee), Absecon, NJFebruary 12, 2014
Pros: to many to list
Cons: nothing to big to list
a typical day in the US Coast Guard could be anything from navigating a ship to conducting a law enforcement boarding on the ocean. The things I learned are invaluable to me. my coworkers were always great, the hardest part of the job was retirement. The most enjoyable part was saving lives and making a difference in peoples lives.
mainly environmental compliance
Chief Marine Science Technician (Current Employee), Barboursville, WVFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: a lot of outside work, doing something meaningful
Cons: being deployed was hard on a marriage
Best work I've ever done, professional coworkers, meaningful work ,
great job learn alot , great people
Supervisor (Former Employee), houston, TXFebruary 11, 2014
worked over 20 years here. worked hard , alot of traveling work with alot of diffent people from all over the world.
A challenging and rewarding career
IT Project Manager (Current Employee), Cleveland, OHFebruary 10, 2014
The U.S. Coast Guard is a multi-mission organization that operates in a fast-paced, continually evolving atmosphere. Balancing operational requirements with enhancements in service and technology has become increasingly important and makes this job extremely challenging, but rewarding.
Enjoyable workplace
Executive Assistant/ Procurement Technician (Former Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: healthcare benefits
Cons: no advancement
As a Procurement Technician in the C4ISR Systems Contract Division, I provided a wide range of pre and post award contract and administrative support to several GS-1102 professionals, including the Division Chief.
cooking for the military
Food Service Specialist (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAFebruary 4, 2014
a normal day starts at 5 am and ends at 6 pm. Everyone i work with is very laid back and almost everyone is on a first name basis. The management is good and they look out for us.

About U.S. Coast Guard

The United States Coast Guard (USCG) is a branch of the United States Armed Forces and one of the country's seven uniformed services. – Read more