U.S. Coast Guard Employee Reviews

love the coast guard
Team Leader - Petty Officer (Current Employee) –  San Pedro, CAOctober 23, 2017
great career, great benefts, awesome travel oppertunity. Good oppertunities to advance and excel in your career. Minimum 4 year service contract, 20 year career to collect pension.
Excellent training environment
Port State Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  HoustonOctober 23, 2017
The Coast Guard is an excellent place to learn new skills and take on new responsibilities. If you are think about joining the Coast Guard you need to be a person who is flexible many times the roles and responsibilities you are asked to taken on are unexpected and outside your comfort zone.
Pros
Benefits, excellent co-workers
Cons
Lots of travel
Challenging and very rewarding
CWO , Aircraft Maintenance Officer (Former Employee) –  Sitka, AKOctober 23, 2017
I retired from 30+years of a challenging and rewarding career that started as a Structural Mechanic and blossomed into and ended as a extremely well rounded highly trained Maintenance Officer.
Although my job carried stresses from the environment in which we worked and operated it was greatly rewarded by the results of the missions that we completed and the lives we positivly effected.
Pros
Saving lives and property
Cons
No regrets, would absolutely do it all over again.
Small service, Big rewards.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington DCOctober 23, 2017
One of the nation's five Armed Forces. The Coast Guard is an opportunity to turn your avocation into vocation. Saving Lives, protecting the nation, performing stewardship of the environment. The Coast Guard is a superb place to grow and protect the nation.
Pros
Service above self
Its a lifestyle not Career
Food Service Specialist, 2nd class E-4 (Former Employee) –  Cape Canaveral, FLOctober 20, 2017
I loved my time in the coast Guard. Traveled to different Countries, learned about other cultures, and experienced unique opportunities.
swim calls in the middle of the ocean, rescued people drifting in the ocean, catch drugs being smuggled into the states.
this is a lifestyle not a career.
Pros
travel, good food, and great stories
Cons
being away for long periods of time
Honor to serve my country.
Storekeeper (Former Employee) –  Kodiak, AKOctober 20, 2017
I love the US Coast Guard! Alaska was a difficult place to serve due to the lack of fun activities and weather conditions. The people I worked with were dedicated and committed to serving their country and I loved that part of my job.
Job Security with the Military
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 19, 2017
12 years in the US Coast Guard as a Operations Specialist with expertise in Operations, Law Enforcement, Migrant Interdiction, Counter Drug Interdiction, Intelligence, Classified materials, Communication, SATCOM, and Homeland Security.
Pros
Benefits and Job Security
Cons
Competitive and Stressful
Great Place To Work
EXECUTIVE CHEF / MANAGER (Current Employee) –  New London, CTOctober 18, 2017
The community is top notch here. Great people to work for. The opportunity to enrich and nourish the lives of future officers means alot to me. Furthermore I have made so many relationships that I will never forget during my time here.
Pros
Great Customers, Great Community
Cons
Union Staff
Working in the Coast Guard
Machinery Technician (Current Employee) –  FloridaOctober 18, 2017
I’ve been in the Coast Guard for ten years and it has been an extremely rewarding experience. From learning to work on engines to traveling the world. I would recommend it to anyone.
Proud to Serve for Coast Guard
Vessel Boarding Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Alameda, CAOctober 17, 2017
Had many different jobs while serving the military. Learned lots of skills. I was very well supported financially. The culture was hard to adjust at first but soon became like family. The hardest part of the job was always being on call. I would get a call at 10 pm telling me to report to work for a boarding 5 hours later. This happened at least 3 to 4 times a week for 2 years. The most enjoyable part was working for something that was a lot bigger than yourself and the pride gained from serving your country.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
Unpredictable working hours
Diff Units
2nd class Petty Officer (Operations Specialist) (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAOctober 17, 2017
Im a reservist going to a diff unit kind of was not a good idea for me. Especially to a place where there were not to many reserve members there. You eventually get lost in the AD components.
I really enjoyed my career in the Coast Guard
Regional Execution Branch Manager (Commander) (Current Employee) –  Juneau, AKOctober 17, 2017
The Coast Guard offers a fair and balanced work environment, allows a great number of opportunities for professional development, and the benefits are excellent. Obviously as a sea-going service, this career path can offer exciting opportunities for travel and interagency cooperation. It is more than a military organization, serving in several federal regulatory roles as well, so there is tremendous potential for exposure to a variety of policy frameworks for those rising to higher management.

It is important to note that while unique among the services, it is a military organization and one must be ready for leading and managing people with time as you must continually work towards advancement. Applicants should also consider frequently moving and changing jobs; adaptability is critical. Overall, I cherished my career (a mix of active duty and reserve service). I generally felt like I was always working with like-minded people with the best of intentions that truly enjoyed public service, possessed a strong work ethic and took care of each other as a family.
its a fine career choice
Maritime Enforcement Specialist (Current Employee) –  MarylandOctober 16, 2017
Tough at first but opens up into a solid career choice that allows for growth. Also great if you want training in a certain field like mechanic, all that training is free.
Pros
steady paycheck
Cons
can be physically demanding
Coast Guard Medical Technician
Health Services Technician (Former Employee) –  Petaluma, CAOctober 15, 2017
Did 5 years as a medical technician. lead 5 subordinates in medical in a high speed environment. I am very trainable and have many qualities for the civilian workforce
It's the military
Seaman / Fireman / Airman (Former Employee) –  Newport, OROctober 15, 2017
It's the military. You can only expect so much from that. I had a fun time more the most part. Search and Rescue is fun, field day cleaning and 0600 PT are not *Some experiences may differ*
A GREAT learning experience
DATA ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Washington County, DCOctober 12, 2017
Primarily a customer service position, I was responsible for collecting user fees from vessel owners that docked their boats on coast guard ground. In addition, my experience using Microsoft database helped to expand my computer knowledge and experience.
Pros
Broadening my customer service skills and developing a new form of filing system.
Cons
N/a
Great
Supply Chain Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 12, 2017
Best branch of military out there. Best kept secret in the service. Underfunded, overworked, neglected, the best deal going today. Red headed step child of the military branches, but beginning to recive the recognition it deserves. SEMPER PARATUS!
It is the military
Seaman (Former Employee) –  Kodiak, AKOctober 12, 2017
I would work on the small boats in the boat house gettin them ready for summer.
I worked on cleaning the warehouse
Movie house work as well.
I had a short stint on a buoy tender in the Aleutians
Pros
Work Hard Play Hard
Cons
There was alot of danger we had to overcome.safety we had to know
Life Changing
Asset Manager / Project Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 11, 2017
Enlisted in the Coast Guard when I was 24 and I will be retiring as an officer at age 44. The experience has been simply amazing. I have had opportunities and experiences of a lifetime!
Pros
education
Some of the best times of my life
Aviation Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCOctober 11, 2017
This was a great place to start a career. Helped to show me how to become a leader, paid for my education and helped put me on a career path. I highly recommend the Coast Guard to any one who is looking for a place to start, or a fresh start.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Coast Guard. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5