U.S. Coast Guard

U.S. Coast Guard Employee Reviews

USCG
Chief Engineering Officer (Former Employee), Hampton Bays, NYApril 6, 2015
The United States Coast Guard taught me the work ethic that and eduction that transformed me into the leader I am today. I taught what to expect and how to handle difficult situtions.
Disciplined work environment
E3/SN (Former Employee), Bayonne, NJApril 3, 2015
Pros: benefits (medical, dental)
A typical day at work depends on the day. We conducted numerous different operations whether in port or underway. Underway, we conducted ice breaking operations and regulating commerce in the winter and – more... conducted security zones in the spring and summer. In port, we would work on our rescue and survivor equipment and other projects such as painting the boat. Underway, we would have approximately 8 hours of watch per day. I learned numerous things other than my job. I learned much better people skills and assumed a leadership role in certain situations I wasn't required to. The hardest part of the job is the ever changing work and underway schedule. Our schedules had to be flexible at all times, even on vacation. I will say, though, the most enjoyable part of the job is always keeping busy and productive. Also, I worked with great people which made the job much enjoyable. – less
A wonderful company to work for.
Electronics Engineer (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 3, 2015
Learned to work independently. The work involved travel at least 2 times a month. I made my own arrangements for 1 week stays or less. Went to various parts of the country. Prepared reports for managers – more... upon return from travel. A typical day consisted of reading email and setting priorities for responses. The hardest part of the job was preparing estimates for the work to be done. The most enjoyable part was the travel. – less
USCG
Machinery Technician (Current Employee), U.S.A.March 31, 2015
Pros: Benefits, Travel
Cons: Long hours, little pay
I would recommend enlisting in the United States Coast Guard to anyone looking to learn valuable skills that otherwise would be unattainable.
Its a life style not a job
Electrician (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAMarch 30, 2015
I am happy to have served in the Coast Guard. It helped me excel after my enlistment. I am thankful for the experience and the opportunities.
high pace, constantly changing work environment
Project Manager (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOMarch 25, 2015
Pros: Quality IT training, changing environments
Cons: Moving
Currently, I support a global organization; I empower 70 analysts to support over 60 to 70 thousand end users on a wide range of systems operating around the world. I enjoy creating teams to meet the – more... demand of end users. I base a great deal of my success on my ability to quickly build repoir with people and over a short period of time I feel I can identify their strengths and I leverage those strength in high impact situations. The workplace is challenging, and I have grown a great deal as a person, I really cannot thank the Coast Guard enough for the opportunities I had in my 20 year career. – less
Military
USCG (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 23, 2015
4 years of great service. I feel my team made a difference with the operations we did. I would advise anyone to join the USCG. Wouldn't change this for the world.
A very proud moment to have accomplished a personal goal
Candidate (Former Employee), AlamedaMarch 19, 2015
Pros: advancement, leadership, discipline, confidence, wisdom
I undertook this challenge to further my skills in boating, especially in my passion for sailing. The outcome was a 94% overall score with two 100% scores, including Navigation.

My advancement in this arena was exponential and my crews have had no hesitation in expressing their confidence in my abilities.
You will get out what you put in
Officer/Pilot 0-3 Lieutenant (Former Employee), Miami, flMarch 19, 2015
Pros: adventure, training, jobs that matter, people, opportunity, stability, pay, benefits
The Coast Guard's Motto is "Jobs that Matter." They are not falsely advertising to say the least, but you will get out of the Coast Guard what you put into them. Like any military organization, it is not – more... and should not be looked at as the last job you will ever have. You will have the opportunity to go on missions you never dreamed of, you will learn how to rely on each-other and the premise of what team work is.

The con's, as we see through government organizational hierarchies is that promotion is based on time in as the most key factor.

Its not perfect, but it is pretty darn good. – less
awesome job
Petty Officer Third Class (Former Employee), south padre island, texasMarch 16, 2015
couldn't say anything bad about this job. great ppl to be with and also a great military branch to serve. job locations are awesome near the water at all times
NA
Data Analyst (Current Employee), Oakland, CAMarch 16, 2015
My first government experience has been a very good experience. It is a laid back environment with the military. I hope to learn more about the government as my experience grows.
Good work environment
Mechanic (Former Employee), Barnegat Light, NJMarch 16, 2015
I've learned a lot during my time in. I've worked with some great people. You're always busy. Plenty of opportunity for growth
Great Military Marine Service
Damage Controlman Chief (Current Employee), Highlands, NJMarch 15, 2015
Pros: world travel, sense of accomplishment.
Cons: being away from family for weeks, months, even years.
A typical day may consist of a schedule that could start, depending on type of unit and job, starting at 6:30am-8:00am and will usually end, again depending on unit and job, at 1:00pm-4:00pm. Dependent – more... on your rate(trade) or rank, you would be required to stand overnight duty for facilities or security watch. The Coast Guard is the smallest branch of the United States military. I believe that we are one of the hardest working branch by carrying out equal responsibility using far less members. The most enjoyable part of my job, is seeing the results of the latest project bring satisfaction to others. – less
Wonderful experience
Petty Officer Second Class (Former Employee), Various locationsMarch 10, 2015
Joining the Coast Guard right out of high school gives a young person the discipline and direction that many need. It can also give them extra money towards college. Travel the country and do some great work along the way, without the danger of going overseas and getting shot at.
Overall experience
System Analyst (Former Employee), Washington DC SWMarch 9, 2015
Terrible management in the IT department, not enough resources for day to day troubleshooting. Co-workers were under qualified and no room for growth because of favoritism.
military
Seaman (Former Employee), Key West, FLMarch 9, 2015
typical military job. chain of command can be frustrating. never home. tough to advance pay grades due to assignment. depends on where your stationed
Rough Seas
MACHINERY TECHNICIAN 1ST CLASS (Current Employee), Key West, FLMarch 5, 2015
Pros: working with great men and women
Cons: bad on marriage
Show up at 6 a.m. doing light offs, which is putting all the machinery online. Disconnecting all the shore ties and leaving the pier for a 60 day patrol. Once you are out there, make a watch schedule. – more... I stood the Engineer of the Watch (EOW) . Which means I was in charge of all the machinery on board the ship. Pretty much like a board operator at a refinery. The Work day starts at 7 am while you are U/W and ends at 4 pm. You do drills pretty much all day during the work day and after the work day. Its very tiring job but someone has to do it. – less
Overall good place to work.
OPERATIONS SPECIALIST (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIMarch 5, 2015
Pros: pay/benefits
Cons: supervisors
This is a military service, not Walmart. It has its ups and downs like any other place. I was a member for over eleven years, working in communications and search and rescue.
Great for men
Petty Officer Second Class Yeoman (Former Employee), Alameda, CAMarch 4, 2015
Pros: friendships
Cons: everything else
Depends on your career position.
Management, ie Chiefs and above, its all politics and your voice is not heard.
Hardest part of the job: as a female, being taken seriously.
Most enjoyable part: being able to say you did it and survived...once you're out.
Outstanding Service
Intelligence Chief & Corporate Security Officer (Current Employee), Tampa, FLFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: mission, pay, benefits, and family environment
Cons: relocate every 2 to 4 years
Committed to this fantastic service for 26 years. Highly recommend to anyone, obtained three college degrees with no loan payments. A true maritme organization that strives on humanitarian, law enforcement and regulatory missions.

About U.S. Coast Guard

The United States Coast Guard (USCG) is a branch of the United States Armed Forces and one of the country's seven uniformed services. – Read more

U.S. Coast Guard Salaries