U.S. Coast Guard Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,020 reviews matching the search
Productive and Fun
Head Senior Coach (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAFebruary 11, 2016
Great work environment. Great people to work for. True team environment. Atmosphere is amazing. Company tries hard to provide for the customer and the employees.
Best Decision Ever
Petty Officer Second Class (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 8, 2016
Joining the US Coast Guard has been the best professional decision I have ever made. I met great people, and made great friends. A typical day at work includes morning Physical Training (PT), a morning brief for the plan of the day, and getting out on the water. Everyday can be different, one day you can be out on patrol in the Puget Sound, another day you can be responding to a Search and Rescue call for an overturned boat. You're unit consists of a small group of shipmates where you will gain a sense of camaraderie. Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, On-base privileges, Educational Benefits. It's a beautiful thing.
Pros
Builds a solid foundation.
Cons
n/a
United States Coast Guard
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLFebruary 8, 2016
I loved it for the most part with the exception of being on duty and away from home. I did get to see a lot of interesting and exciting things while I was in.
Very competitive and enjoyable
Radioman (Former Employee) –  Kodiak, AK and Cape May, NJFebruary 4, 2016
Depending on your job it was very standardized, I learned so much
mostly what it take to be an man and to be responsible. I learned
about search and rescue abilities.
management or superior were good and crew were all good to work
with.
Being precise and skillful in your job title
Being in the Coast Guard was like being in a adventure
Pros
You got to see the world
Cons
You were away from your love ones
Great Place to Work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 1, 2016
Great People, Interesting Projects, Everyone Working as a Team,
Difficulty was getting a new supervisor every three years. The camaraderie was the most enjoyable.
Loved my postion
Medical Administrator (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJanuary 31, 2016
Enjoyed getting to know how a military/civilian office operates. Received hundreds of packages during panel time, where they all had to be entered through our database system. When someone was promoted for their accomplishments we all came to together as one & celebrated.
Hard work
Deckhand/ Mate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 29, 2016
This job was amazing. I worked in San Diego California and loved every minute of it. the work you do is all about helping people and I wouldn't change that for the world.
Horrible place to work
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 27, 2016
Management is a bunch of people who only care about what is on their daily reports and reporting zero issues to higher ups regardless of any real problems.

Most of the coworkers will turn on you the second something goes wrong hoping you are the one who gets the blame.

You will never get better than meets on your evaluations regardless of what you do or how well you do it.

Who ever heard of doing factory style piece work in accounting??? If you don't make your quota you are gone.
Pros
You are probably term so it will be over soon.
Cons
You are probably term and you will never get a permanent position which might actually be a Pro.
Fast paced exciting work environment
manager (Former Employee) –  wilmette ilJanuary 26, 2016
Every day was a new exciting experience.
The coast guard helped me hone my leadership and management skills.
I developed my strong organizational skill sand my ability to multi task in a demanding environment.
The hardest part of the job was making timely decisions that could result in life or death.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being a strong leader and being there for my community.
Pros
A family like work place
Cons
Long hours with limited family time
Coast Guard is a great community
Intelligence Specialist (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 24, 2016
The Coast Guard is a great place to work. You are essentially guarding the coast and make sure that bad things don't happen and if they do you are there for respond. My experience was that of a watch stander (shift work) which is what much of the Coast Guard is. You are there to respond to disasters, SAR and other events. This is the best part of the job, the satisfaction you get from helping with these events.
Pros
job security, training, benefits
Cons
shift work, deployments, long hours
There is no better job than saving lives for a living!
Chief Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 22, 2016
- Lots of travel around the world

- Great opportunities for advancement

- Pride in serving your country

I really enjoyed my time in the Coast Guard and I encourage any young person who can't figure out what to do with their life to join!
Taught me self discipline and determination.
Military (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 20, 2016
I enjoyed the comradity of my CG militant family. Leadership accountability was not evenly distributed. I suggest using leadership skills and distributing personnel accordingly by their strengths (if they are having a hard time adjusting to their current assignment). This way everybody wins and no one gets left behind without (government) reprisal.
Pros
You can advance as fast as you would like to study and a chance to travel the world
Cons
Need more mentoring with sincere intentions for underlings
Great career with many benefits
Electronics Technician First Class (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJanuary 20, 2016
I have spent over a decade in the Coast Guard and I've enjoyed every day of it. Great people, honest mission, and the benefits are unbelievable!
It's not the place it used to be
Senior Oracle/Sybase Database Administrator (Current Employee) –  Kearneysville, WVJanuary 19, 2016
After churning commands it continues to get worse! Numerous benefits continue to be pulled and moral is at a all time low
Great
Shop Supervisor/Chief Damage Controlman (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 9, 2016
Great duty station. Monday through Friday other than local overnight duty.
Job was easy compared to other duty stations.
No deployment
Pros
Monday through Friday-occassional overnight duty
Great experience
public relations (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 29, 2015
The training and job experience I received from the Coast Guard stands top notch. I loved my professional duties and the wonderful shipmates I worked with. As a public affairs specialist I felt fortunate to see all aspects of the Coast Guard as I frequently worked with many units spanning across three states. The two supervisors I was fortunate to work for turned out to be brilliant mentors and I am very thankful to have worked alongside them.
Pros
benefits, learning experience, coworkers are great
Cons
advancement is slow
30 Year Coast Guard Career
Machinery Technician Chief (Former Employee) –  Kodiak, AKDecember 28, 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed my career in the military, I explored many avenues to ensure I could be of use in any situation, I always took on more responsibilities than was expected of me. I wanted to ensure that people knew that there was nothing I would ask them to do that I wouldn't do
Pros
Experience
Cons
Away from family
Great civilian skills
Executive Petty Officer (XO)/Coast Guard Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 22, 2015
Being a recruiter in the military does help prepare you to transition out of the service. I highly recommend putting in for this assignment.
Amazing place to work
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 22, 2015
It is a great job, I loved being in the service. Management cares about your development and the people you work with our great. It is hard to say a typical day due to the fact that each unit is different. The most enjoyable aspect of my career Search & Rescue.
Pros
The mission
Cons
Move a lot, long hours
The Coast Guard is a great organization.
Machinery Technician (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXDecember 19, 2015
The Coast Guard has been a great job. During my enlistment I learned leadership, teamwork, discipline and structure. With the skills I've acquired in the Coast Guard combined with the veteran benefits, I have been set up for a successful life.
Pros
Great benefits, wide range of training and job experience.
Cons
Sometimes this job requires you to spend a lot of time away from your family.

4.5