U.S. Coast Guard Employee Reviews

US Coast Guard Reserve
Senior Chief Petty Officer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 9, 2017
Being in the US Coast Guard Reserve for the past 20 years, I am fortunate to have seen the world, help our Nation during her most serious crises 9/11. Hurricane Katrina, and travel to many different parts of the country and the world, doing what other people can only dream of doing!
Pros
Pension, great benefits, awesome training, leadership
Cons
None that I can think of?
It was the military
Master Helmsman/ (Former Employee) –  FloridaOctober 9, 2017
It was the military,it is what it is. You join you do what your told and get out with some life experiences you didnt have before. Not much to think into
Pros
free food
Cons
At sea all the time
Service to the nation
Naval Architect (Current Employee) –  Baltimore MDOctober 8, 2017
Wide range of important responsible work.

Good resources to accomplish it.

Respect between all employees.

Respect of all employees by senior management.
Pros
Service to the nation
Cons
A great career if you can handle it
Communications Watch Officer (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAOctober 6, 2017
Lot of work, lots of stress, but it can also be fun and you can make friendships that last a lifetime.

Benefits can be great, but a person will really have to work hard in this job.
Great experience
Machinery Technician (Former Employee) –  Kodiak Station, AKOctober 3, 2017
Great experience great BENIFITS and paid time off. Lots of travel if desired lots of diversity. in jobs
Its great
Information System Technician Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAOctober 3, 2017
Needs to be part of the DOD some how if anything a detachment. The one organization that never has the money to operate the way it needs too. My retirement will be good, those going in now should look at all options.
Pros
Work with you and your family
Cons
Leadership/advancement system
You get what you put into it.
Electronics Technician (Current Employee) –  Alameda, CASeptember 30, 2017
Great service to be associated with. Many diverse opportunities to learn and excel. Atmosphere is provided to allow each person to grow and succeed. Must be willing to relocate on regular basis.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Structured environment not for everyone.
Great Place to work
E8 / Senior Chief (Former Employee) –  Clearwater Florida and Kodiak AkSeptember 30, 2017
Excellent mission and people to work with. Saving lives, bust drug runners, fish and wildlife protection, short deployment, aircraft missions that really count for something.
Coast Guard was cool
Boatswain's Mate First Class (Former Employee) –  Riviera Beach, FLSeptember 28, 2017
Working with the CG was nice. It got to the point where i was ready to do something new. It was a good run and i would recommend it to any you man or woman.
Personal Growth will happen
Military Culinary Specialist (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLSeptember 28, 2017
A typical day for a Culinary Specialist at a boat is early hours work till late. I learned a great deal from foreign relations to managing my own team. The workplace culture is a fun one, where at times it can be very down to earth and then very serious while doing helo operations or just simply respecting the command climate. The hardest part was honestly letting it go, I got my 6 year sea time of 9 years of service, I figured that was good enough for me. The most enjoyable part was my "office" was literally wherever the boat went. I've never seen so much beauty in this world until I enlisted. Try saying to others, "See this pic of me? Yeah... that's me BBQ-ing ribs with an iceberg in the background of the Arctic Sea."
Pros
Taken cared of, job security, most other branches complain of not picking this one
Cons
Very rare but command structure and or boss, if you're sea sick then don't do it
Good Job
Information Systems Technician 2nd Class (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VASeptember 28, 2017
USCG is a place where it is very family friendly. You can serve your Country and be proud of the work you do daily. Everything depends on your command, which can be stressful sometimes.
Workplace Culture
Marine Inspector (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 27, 2017
Productive place that has a diverse culture in New York. Environment was great and throughout my career didn't face any problems but like all organizations nothing is perfect.
Pros
Medical Benifits
Cons
Need More diversity
Over all It was a great experance
Electrician (Chief Electrician's Mate) (Former Employee) –  USSeptember 26, 2017
Overall it was a great place to work I enjoyed it. It gave me lots of opportunity to learn new skills, travel and job security.

It a military organization so management changes with each new duty Station and as people transfer into or out of positions

Hard part of the job is being away from family and friends for extended time during deployments.

Enjoyable parts I got to see some incredible places and
Pros
Overall it was good
Cons
Cant think of to many
Coast Guard Reserve
Commander (Current Employee) –  Kiln, MSSeptember 25, 2017
Its an honor and privilege to serve in the US Coast Guard Reserve. I have been an officer since 1999, have served in several areas throughout the country, and for day-to-day missions and disaster response.
Great experience, great career.
Seaman (Former Employee) –  St Petersburg Beach, FLSeptember 25, 2017
The United States Coast Guard was an exceptional place to work and gather valuable life lessons and experiences which you will be able to apply to all aspects of life.
Job Description
Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  new yorkSeptember 25, 2017
Fast paced career, must be willing to work hard and work well as a team member. There is hard work but there is time to have fun and build life long friendships.
Excellent branch of the Armed Forces
Boatswain's Mate 3rd Class Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  Newport, ORSeptember 25, 2017
I am very proud of my service to our country in the US Coast Guard, which provided, among other things, a sense of duty and honor. By nature I am a rescuer, so the Coast Guard was a perfect fit for me.
Reservist in the US Coast Guard is the way to go.
Machinery Technician Third Class (MK3) (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LASeptember 22, 2017
The Coast Guard reserves was a great way for me to join the military and remain in school to finish my engineering degree. I have recommended it to many friends and family members and will recommend it to my own children when they are of age.
Pros
Too many to list
Cons
Have to cut your hair alot.
Stressfull
Seaman Recruit (Former Employee) –  Cape May, NJSeptember 21, 2017
Very high stress work environment. Extremely fast paced, competitive, cut-throat place. As a recruit you can not let your guard down for a second and must learn to work as a team to make it through basic training.
Pros
Full benefits
Cons
No breaks
Coast Guard Military Service
Fireman E3 - Coast Guard Station Port Huron (Former Employee) –  Port Huron, MISeptember 20, 2017
I was in the United States Coast Guard stationed in Port Huron, Michigan. While there I was trained in engineering, Law Enforcement, and as a life saving crew on a "small boat".
Pros
Military Service
Cons
Military Service

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Coast Guard. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5