U.S. Coast Guard Employee Reviews

Found 1,130 reviews matching the search
Wondeful
Coast guard reserve (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 1, 2016
I love them and I am proud to serve me country.
I'm looking forward to working for a good reliable company. I work hard and go above and beyond to get the job done.
Decent family life, upper management does not care about employees
Electronics Technician / Petty Officer 3rd Class (Current Employee) –  Chincoteague Island, VAOctober 30, 2016
I worked for the USCG for almost 6 years. Immediate supervisors worked with me very well to accommodate family life and responsibilities. Commanding officers are quick to turn their back and wipe their hands of enlisted personnel in times of need. Seemingly seeking to punish members at any given opportunity.
An excellent career
Senior Investigating Officer (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 27, 2016
Could not be more proud to be part of this organization! While I have been in a rather long time, there is simply no means to quantify my experiences. To say that I feel prepared to make an impact in my chosen profession following my CG career is an understatement.
Relentless schedule with overwhelming responsibility for junior members
Machinery Technician (Former Employee) –  MI, FLOctober 10, 2016
-If you go in with a career oriented mentality and only want to serve then you won't be disappointed. there is much opportunity for advancement and you have a chance to work with very dedicated and intelligent people. the problem is that you roll the dice every time you get orders. the person you worked for that you liked will not be your boss for long and the next guy you get will make life miserable for you as much as possible. you have no tools for preserving your own dignity. whenever it is decided you will be labeled and made an example as often as necessary. you have no way of quitting or moving on. you just have a contract to exhaust and then you are let go. you make the same money whether you work hard or force your work on others. the people who excel in their grade are the ones that rub elbows enough with the management. same as anywhere i guess but if you thought the military would be based on merit, experience, or achievement, you were wrong. favoritism is as much in effect here as anywhere except you have no freedom whatsoever. you're not even allowed to be disappointed or object to the structure for fear that the rest of the peons will also reject the master.

-that being said though. great opportunity for learning. if you apply yourself and know who to follow you will learn many skills and have a chance to do many different things. it's an interesting career, with benefits. you will travel and see other countries. you will be put into a role of responsibility and leadership at a very junior rank in your career. ever operational billet is important and you will
  more... feel accomplished. this is all at the will of the command. you may never have a break in this job but you may get lucky with the people you work for.

-my biggest complaint about the job is that you will be asked to be humble and keep interest in working harder when you are getting paid the same as others in your rank that don't do as much as you do. you can only do that for so long until you think to yourself that it isn't worth it. that you should have chosen another rate that didn't even leave a computer desk all day and make the same money. you can argue about personal pride in your work but at some point you feel that you should be compensated for the effort that you are putting into the machine that others are just not.
Pros
healthcare, housing money, travel
Cons
infinite hours, command indecision, lack of professionalism
Military Service
Various Positions and Units (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 10, 2016
the hardest part about being in the coast guard is the fact that we do more with less, funding is never available to the only military service that is also law enforcement. The Coast Guard is a great organization , your co-workers are your family, and the hardest part of the job is leaving that family every two to four years due to transfers.
Great benefits
Supply Administrator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 3, 2016
Great benefits and great people, huge lifestyle commitment. Must be willing to relocate at least every 4 years and may end up needing to move some where not wanted.
Great job.
Boatswain Mate (Current Employee) –  Alameda, CASeptember 27, 2016
Nothing bad to say about the service. Traveled the world and met great people. The office was the ocean. Seen the good and the tragic overall I became a better person.
Benefits
Cons
Moving every four years
Excellent Job Security/ On The Job Training
Information Systems Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 26, 2016
Working 24 hours a day 7 days a week with little to no local resources develops a technician's skills and abilities greatly. I really enjoyed my time doing technical work with the Coast Guard. The military culture and constantly moving around is why I choose to leave.
Pros
Skills, Abilities, and Training.
Cons
Worklife, Relocating
Summary
Boatswain's Mate (Current Employee) –  Valdez, AKSeptember 24, 2016
It's a good job, i loved working for the United States, serving my country and learning everything i could possibly learn. I got to see many places i never thought i would ever get to go to. It was fun while it lasted.
High morale - Work place
Intelligence Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MichiganSeptember 21, 2016
The Coast Guard is an outstanding organization. Typical work day.
Excellent Management. Keep America safe through agency partnerships. Serving. Excellent Organization.
The Coast Guard helped me become the man I am today.
Electronics Technician III (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 16, 2016
Depending on what rate you choose to go if you decide to go the enlisted route, you will be challenged with hard work and dedication to complete the mission at the end of the day. Work days can vary depending upon what type of unit your stationed and whether they're deployable or not. You can't be afraid of water and should be comfortable with swimming. After 8 years so far in the service I have traveled to amazing places and accomplished amazing things. Great benefits and direction.
Pros
Pay and Benifits
Cons
Having to relocate every 3 years usually.
Great environment to work in.
Non-rate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 16, 2016
The USCG taught me to use quick thinking and decision making in a very stressful situation. I learned to work cohesively with a team towards a common goal. My co-workers quickly turned into family as we all had to share the waters in dangerous and life-threatening situations on a daily basis. Through all the rough seas and public interactions I learned to be quick on my feet, but not quick to judge people and their circumstances.
Pros
Family-like workplace.
Cons
Life-threatening situations on a daily basis.
A unique experience
Cadet (Former Employee) –  New London, CTSeptember 7, 2016
The coast guard academy had a lot of great people and a lot of not so great people. I truly will cherish the friendships I made there, but in the end, the coast guard life was not the life for me. I did not enjoy the management as they thought they were superior to their subordinates. But, I did enjoy the structure and the organization itself.
Pros
Great Coworkers
Cons
Low Pay
Stressful work environment
Supervisory Accountant (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VASeptember 7, 2016
There was little to no organization and the computer system was outdated. The work environment was less then pleasurable and the employees were stressful. You always left work feeling like nothing was accomplished and this was because there was no structure.
Water Rescue
Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 7, 2016
The Coast Guard is about saving lives. The hardest part was going out to sea in a hurricane but the most enjoyable part is working with others to rescue people at sea or evacuating people during national catastrophes.
Great place to work.
Contracting Officers Representative (Former Employee) –  Alameda, CAAugust 30, 2016
I joined the Navy in 1989, served 4 years and got out. In 1997 I joined the Coast Guard best decision of my life. I would do it again or reenlist right now.
Pros
Cons
none, for me at least.
Coast Guard Life
Child Care Provider/Nanny (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYAugust 29, 2016
Working for the US Coast guard was a great expierence in which I met a lot of different people from a lot of different place. As a child care provider I tutored and mentored children of all ages.
Depends on your rating
Headed and Organizer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 29, 2016
Depending on the job you have in the Coast Guard can make or break your experience you'll have. You can go from a rescue swimmer to a DC or toilet scrubber. A lot of politics with people above you and the best person doesn't always get promoted... Great place to learn something outside of your hometown.
Pros
job security
Cons
politics
Boatswain's Mate (Current Employee) –  Yorktown, VAAugust 26, 2016
Great atmosphere, great organization. Having worked for them for over 20 years, I have learned a great deal about life and leadership.
Military life.
Mechanic for both gasoline and diesel engines (Former Employee) –  USCGC Glacier and PSSTA HoustonAugust 19, 2016
There were no typical days. Sometimes I had different watch shifts. Sometimes I'd get off watch at midnight and get woken up at 2 a.m. because there was a problem in the engine room. All hands on deck. Co-workers were from all over the US. I was on an ice breaker so we would be gone from the US for six months at a time. I did that twice. Got to see a lot of the world: Mexico, Panama, Peru, Chile, Uruguay, Antarctica, Brazil, Trinidad/Tobago. Shore leave was always fun at the ports-of-call that we stopped at. But growing up in Houston and New Orleans, Antarctica is very cold. No worries about health care because we had it all.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Coast Guard. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5