U.S. Coast Guard

U.S. Coast Guard Employee Reviews

Fun way to see new areas and learn new skills right out of high school
Fire Control Technician (Former Employee) –  United StatesAugust 2, 2015
Fun challenging way to gain some experience and see some different areas for a person right out of high school who does not wish to go to college. Can be a good career for a person who can handle time away from home and not being able to live where you choose.
Military
Electricians Mate (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXAugust 2, 2015
Good atmosphere, no real complaints. Hardest part of the job was waking up. I would recommend working there if at all possible.
Chief Yeoman (Current Employee) –  San Francisco Bay AreaJuly 31, 2015
learned a great deal on managing people in a diverse environment, and enjoyed it very much. The hardest part of the job was the constant change in management. The most enjoyable was learning to adapt to the ever changing environment.
Great Job
Communication watch supervisor (Former Employee) –  Miami flJuly 30, 2015
A typical day at work was to sort the mail and distribute it to all personal. Prepare and circulate incoming and out going message traffic. Man help desk as well as do security rounds. Outstanding co workers and flexible management. The hardest part was the isolation because you were in a top secret facility and the most enjoyable part is knowing you are the direct link to everything that is happening in the Coast Guard.
Pros
off time
Cons
on call
Various opportunities depending on your preference.
CHIEF ELECTRICIAN MATE (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 30, 2015
The desire to acquire the necessary training for any future employment was accomplished. Various work environments depending on your skills and position determine that. A very diverse and some what large work force.
Team environment with a strong professional and personal support environment
Chief Electrician's Mate (E-7) (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAJuly 29, 2015
Military environment providing a achievable path to advancement as well as a full compliment of professional and personal support services. Provides a wide variety of job descriptions and opportunities
Basic Training is a life changing experience that definitely changes how you view things.
Seaman Recruit (Former Employee) –  Cape May, NJJuly 24, 2015
Basic Training was hard physically and mentally, however it built me back up stronger and more determined than I had ever been. The since of team work and respect for chain of command are something I believe a bunch of people should know.
Pros
Good pay, Advancement opportunities, Satisfying
Cons
Long hours, Life style change
Review
Machinery Technician (E-5) (Current Employee) –  Fort Eustis, VAJuly 23, 2015
The U.S. Coast Guard is a great branch to be in. Its full of diversity and this branch really look out for their people. Ive learned a lot while serving. From building engines, to working on electronics including radios, engines, and computers. Ive learned how to read wire diagrams and blueprints to driving forklifts, trailering 40 foot boats, to driving HMVs. I really learned how to be well rounded while serving my country.
Service to our nation
Petty officer third class (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJuly 21, 2015
Challenging and rewarding experience. Great benefits and ability to serve your country both local and overseas. Lots of opportunity to travel and challenge yourself in a variety of the Coast Guards missions.
A valuable government agency with highly professional members.
Retired as a Commander (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJuly 21, 2015
Highly independent work environment; management easy to work with and peers, subordinates all goal oriented. As with all government organizations, as budgets decreased over the past several years it became more important to look at all processes and lean them to be more efficient. This also meant looking at decreasing personnel. The Coast Guard provides great value to the American people it serves and has very motivated and professional personnel in every community.
Pros
Security, team oriented, training, health and dental, pay.
Cons
move every 2-4 years.
Working Hard, and Always Working
Petty Officer 3rd class Store Keeper (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 20, 2015
As a member of the United Stated Military I was fully aware that it was not suppose to be fun, but with all of the duties and responsibilities that I had while in the Coast Guard I was surprised with how often I truly enjoyed myself. The work wasn't always easy, and sometimes people requested miracles which was very frustrating, but to be able to grant the miracles requested was a wonderful feeling. Not only was it a weight off my shoulders, it also gave me a since of pride, and confidence knowing that I could deliver sometimes unreasonable requests. I lived and worked with the same people everyday, sometimes away from civilization for months at a time. Learning how to deal with all of the emotions was the greatest experience. Even on the toughest days we learned to put aside our personal feelings and get the work done, and deal with many different challenges and issues while in very situation.
Communication was not always the greatest, and planning was not an easy thing to do, The thing about the military is that everything is unpredictable! We've got to make the best judgment call for what we think will happen, and if it didn't as planned, we learned to proficiently manage the changes to best suite our needs and the operations of the ship. Regardless of where you are at in the military you have a chain of command we have to follow, which can sometimes make things very hard, and sometimes it makes things much easier. The hardest thing about the job was learning how to deal with the lack of communication. I was always taught about strong communication, and have prided
  more... myself on communicating very well, and it was a challenge that I had to learn to deal with, and work around in my everyday life. The most enjoyable part of the job, was the experiences. I got to travel the world, and get paid for it. Now I'm ready to be with my family and supply support for them!  less
Pros
Salary, plus monthly stipened for housing, and great benefits.
Cons
No family time, and unpredictable schedules.
It's a way of life
First Line Manager/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mobile, AlJuly 20, 2015
Very rewarding job, unlimited learning possibilities, multiple opportunities, you get to server the community, save lives, and spend time on the water.
Benefits
Cons
Move every few years
Great feeling of accomplishment
Petty Officer, Damage Controlman (Former Employee) –  california, Boston MA, Guatemala, belizeJuly 16, 2015
The US Coast Guard is a great military service to work for. The diversity of jobs and skills you could and will learn is endless. This is really the only military service where you can work with or help the ordinary citizen every day.
Pros
Great Travel
Cons
Great place with great people.
Electrical Maintenance Intern (Former Employee) –  Warrenton, ORJuly 15, 2015
The Sector Columbia U.S. Coast Guard Air Base is a good place to work. There is a great team of staff there and it is nice to be part of protecting America. Being around the boats and aircrafts is a very cool experience. There is a gym open to all employees and this is just one great thing that makes this a healthy environment to work in.
Pros
Free training and experience, free gym, part of something bigger.
Cons
I didn't get paid because i was just an intern, A military apprenticeship is very different that a normal apprenticeship.
Tremendous Job Satisfaction
Senior Executive (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 14, 2015
Ability to rescue, protect and serve the American public brings with it great job satisfaction. Constant moves every 2-4 years and 24/7 schedule can provide work-life wear and tear.
Hard worker, dedicated and team player
Response Department Chief (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 13, 2015
I'm very adaptable, working as many hours needed to get job complete. Throughout my career I have learned valuable traits on leadership styles and motivating employees. I assist my co-workers as needed to complete any task. I enjoy recognizing employees for their hard work and effort.
A Typical Day
E-2 Seaman Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 9, 2015
During day, cleaning or painting the ship, helping out in the galley (cooks helper), during the night, standing watch (helmsman)
Pros
Serving the Country, Gained Valuable Experience
Productive Enviroment
Military Liaison /Procurement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 30, 2015
Work hours are flexible, room for professional growth and promotion. The most enjoyable part of the job is having great co-workers.
A great place to learn leadership and discipline
Operations Specialist, E-5 (Former Employee) –  Key West, FLJune 26, 2015
Great branch of service. Opportunities are unlimited. Can live anywhere in the country. The Coast Guard is what you make of it, can be a great place to work or it could be your worst nightmare, if you give it your all you will love the service and never want to leave.
Pros
benefits are unmatched
Cons
Poor enlisted management at the head quarters level.
Great career
Petty Officer 2nd Class (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJune 26, 2015
Loved my time in the Coast Guard met the best friends I have in the world there. Loved the travel, shipmates, and the excitement of the new challenges faced daily.

4.5