U.S. Coast Guard

U.S. Coast Guard Employee Reviews

Outstanding Service
Intelligence Chief & Corporate Security Officer (Current Employee), Tampa, FLFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: mission, pay, benefits, and family environment
Cons: relocate every 2 to 4 years
Committed to this fantastic service for 26 years. Highly recommend to anyone, obtained three college degrees with no loan payments. A true maritme organization that strives on humanitarian, law enforcement and regulatory missions.
Great organization to work for but be cautious of policy changes.
Maritime Enforcement Specialist (ME) (Current Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: work environment
Cons: policies
I enjoyed my years in the Coast Guard but due to updated policy changes my career came to an end. I would not have minded serving until eligible for retirement.
Fun in the Sun
Boatswains Mate Third Class (Current Employee), United StatesFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: site seeing and training
Cons: not flexible when on assignment
Proficient in marlinespike, deck, and boat seamanship; manages, supervises, and administers personnel and facilities; navigates vessel and serves as deck watch officer and boat coxswain; trains, directs, and supervises personnel in seamanship, maintenance, rigging, deck equipment and boats; supervises damage control and working parties; maintains discipline; operate and maintain heavy equipment used in loading and buoy tending work. Knows standard boat nomenclature and terminology; knows and uses basic marlinespike seamanship including line types, construction and materials, knots and hitches and deck fittings; manages and trains boat crew in the topics discipline, personnel safety and survival techniques, wellness, first aid, and CPR; maintains boat safety and rescue equipment; understands boat construction, stability and maneuvering characteristics; identifies and applies survival procedures during emergencies; performs stokes litter use during medical evacuation activities; understands proper techniques for assisted towing operations; understands and operates emergency pumps in damage control situations; understands, operates, and demonstrates marine firefighting equipment; Master of small vessels including marine navigation, radar collision avoidance, and piloting skills; uses electronic navigation equipment; understands marine meteorology; understands and applies the collision regulations (Rules of the Road); maintains a safe navigation watch; understands anchoring procedures; knows and uses proper radio communications techniques; and understands and demonstrates use of pyrotechnics.
Supervisors are weak
SAR Controller (Former Employee), Key West, FLFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: people, job security
Cons: training for supervisors and leaders
I left the Coast Guard after 11 years because I was not happy the direction that my rate was going, I was also not pleased with the state of the guard inreguards to upper leadership having a stuck in the past mentality.
An opportunity to gain experience not found elsewhere
Machinery Technician (Former Employee), Newport Woods Hole BahrainFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: full opportunities for females, travel, pay, advancement, learning skills, benefits
Cons: discrimination, micro-managers, ineptitude
I served close to 10 years, primarily active duty and some as a reservist. I was a machinery technician and was stationed on a buoy tender (175'), small boat station, and then Patrol Forces Southwest Asia. I went straight from boot to a-school. I loved being an MK but by the time I got out I was a Chief and turning wrenches was a thing of my past. I'm back in school and hoping to get back into the military as an officer, but I do not regret the time I spent with the CG. Firefighting, seamanship, crane operation, law enforcement, search and rescue, antiterrorism activities, living abroad and traveling the world are all experiences I had during my time in service. I'm not sure I could have found that elsewhere.
Of course, you get to work with all types and have no choice about it. Some are smart hard workers and eithers are lazy and will try to get away with anything (often succeeding). Of course, you see that everywhere. I just wish there was a better way to weed them out.
Productive and every day is different
Operations Officer/Logistics (Current Employee), Georgetown, SCFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: work schedule is 7:30am-3pm, healthcare, play ping pong on breaks to enhance team coordination skills
Cons: have to move jobs every 4 years.
The first part of my day starts off with reviewing discrepancies in our logistics database. If there is one that has been submitted, then I take the correct steps to make sure this discrepancy gets resolved in a timely manner. Some of these discrepancies range from ordering parts locally or sending it to our sector level for price approval. After that has been taken care of, I make quality assurance checks to make sure these processes are being handled effectively and efficiently. Lastly, on any given day I could be called upon by my senior leaders to organize projects, conduct intel meetings, and training sessions for my fellow co-workers. The senior leadership at my current work place for the most part is excellent. I enjoy working with them because our team work and communication superb. The hardest part about my job is being able to change gears in any given second of the day. However, working for the U.S. Coast Guard it becomes second nature. The most enjoyable part of my day is when my subordinates come to me for help and I have the answer for it.
Amazing Experience Where Jobs Really Mattered
Operations Specialist (Former Employee), Washington DCFebruary 18, 2015
The US Coast Guard was a phenomenal job. Great benefits, great personnel, and above all great opportunities to see the world. I've personally visited 4 Continents and learned so much about thier cultures. Learning technical skills, personal skills, and professional skills along the way.

The hardest part of the job was the stamina to stand an ever vigilant watch. From 12 hour watch rotations, to being there through inclimate weather, we were there. Even through the tough nights, the satisfaction that we were keeping the waterways safe was the true reward.

The most enjoyable part was the traveling. Seeing so much of the Caribbean and even parts of Europe and Africa, was such a thrill. Meeting dignitaries and common folk and learning about their ways of life was an amazing experience.
Great Career
Operations Officer (Former Employee), Jonesport, MaineFebruary 17, 2015
I found the job to be challenging and very rewarding. I enjoyed the challenges I faced daily, I found all people I worked with to be enjoyable.
Learned much about leadership and management
Electronic Repair Technician (Former Employee), Many Locations throughout the United StatesFebruary 13, 2015
Head Supervisor at Electronics Systems Support Detachment Detail in Southport, NC, logistics management and operations team of the coastal North Carolina electronics and computer systems and support.

Experienced manager of complex organizations, active duty personnel and civilian employees.

Highly skilled administrator of thousands of hours of electronic maintenance on various types of marine/tower navigation and communication electronic equipment and computers systems.
MANAGEMENT

Lead Supervisor at U.S. Coast Guard Electronics Detail Detachment, Southport, NC, consisting of 30 small boat assets, 3 U.S. Coast Guard Small Boat Operations Stations, one Marine Safety Unit.

Implemented 24-hour customer support on both electronic and Information Tech fields.

Managed, researched, and assisted with small boat station new tower installations and assisted with conception to production. These systems were highly instrumental in the success all U.S. Coast Guard Missions within the area.

Supervised all upgraded training systems and methods, cross-trained personnel in job duties resulting in lower supervision requirements, and a saved a significant amount of man-hours to complete maintenance, and complete repairs.

Lead Electronics Technician aboard the U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Hollyhock in Port Huron, MI. Responsible for a multitude of military personnel, along with all maintenance, repairs to all electronic navigation and communication equipment alongside all computer systems support, repair, and systems user server maintenance and repairs
dedicated
Chief Food Service Officer (Former Employee), Astoria, ORFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: benefits, housing, compassion, and the ocean
Cons: being away from the family in two month intervals.. half my life is at sea. i love the sea
the growth potential within the USCG is amazing. Having dedication to the protection of the United States. Travelling all around the world. seeing new cultures and growing from them.
Great Career Choice
Information Systems Technician (Current Employee), Saint Petersburg, FLFebruary 9, 2015
I originally joined the military for direction, the Coast Guard gave me that in bunches. It helped me grow as a person, and as a professional. I would recommend the Coast Guard for anyone looking for a different opportunity.
Working for the Coast Guard
Information Systems Technician (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOFebruary 9, 2015
•Maintained servers, scheduled backups, monitored 60+ workstations, and preformed daily/weekly maintenance as needed
•Printed and delivered daily, weekly, and monthly reports to the Watch Supervisor and Department Leads
•Briefed watch supervisor and department leads on status of all equipment and repairs
•Preformed records management for Coast Guard Software, implementation and maintenance.
•Managed military, civilian, and contractors throughout the workday
•Maintained and altered metrics according to operational needs and operational outcomes.
•Ordered and maintained stock of parts needed for repairs to meet operational objectives
•Performed daily inspections of Coast Guard uniforms
•Ensured all orders are carried out by Coast Guard personnel as directed by Unit Commander, Orders, Policies, and Directives
My Experience in the Coast Guard
Storekeeper (Former Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: great benefits, great people
Cons: "occupational hazards"
The Coast Guard is a wonderful organization for team players and go-getters. The spontaneity will keep you on your toes. Make sure you know all the right people; it makes a world of a difference in your career in the military.
morale
Management Analyst / Civilian Resource Coordinator (Current Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 7, 2015
Morale is 100% Join the coast guard and feel good about life. The people are simply amazing to work with. I never wanna leave!
job with a purpose
Command Master Chief Petty Officer, E-9 (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAFebruary 7, 2015
Pros: keeping america safe
no better purpose than serving others. Professional mariner in the finest sea service. Saving lives and protecting our maritime boarders.
Proud to be a US Coast Guardsman.
A rewarding opportunity
Certified Teacher-Safety (Former Employee), Detroit, MIFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: training future seaman
i would conduct classes that taught the rules of the water such as,
charting navigation, landmarks, weather patterns and hazards, boat safety such as how to properly launch a vessel.
Good place to learn skills
Electricians Mate Second Class (Current Employee), United StatesFebruary 5, 2015
If you are starting your career you will learn a lot and you really have the opportunity to learn about whatever field you are wanting to go into.
Great Career
Fireman/ Watch-Stander (Current Employee), Panama City, FLFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: benefits, healthcare
Coast Guard Station Panama City provided me with a sense of pride in serving my country. This is a job that is very rewarding and beneficial to growing as an individual and as a team player.
Excellent Organization
IT Portfolio Manager (Former Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 3, 2015
I attended the U.S. Coast Guard Academy straight out of high school, and upon graduation, served another 21 years as a commissioned officer. This organization was a great launching pad to a second career. While serving, I acquired three advanced degrees, two professional certifications, a wealth of experience and countless friendships. I highly recommend a career in the Coast Guard to any young adult starting out.
Military
Petty Officer (Former Employee), United StatesFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: meet a lot of great people
Cons: moving every 3-4 years.
The Coast Guard is a part of the Department of Homeland Security and is often over looked as one of the Armed Forces of the United States.

About U.S. Coast Guard

The United States Coast Guard (USCG) is a branch of the United States Armed Forces and one of the country's seven uniformed services. – Read more

U.S. Coast Guard Salaries