U.S. Department of Agriculture Employee Reviews

Alb
Tree climber (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 18, 2017
It was as good job but only term so after 4 years yu were competing for your job. Very safety oriented and excellent training. If I didn't have to relocate I would have stayed
Steady income
Executive Secretary/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 18, 2017
My work at USDA was interesting and sometimes challenging. Most of the people I worked with were intelligent and professional. I retired because I was (1) eligible and (2) was tired of the commute from Fredericksburg to DC.
Pros
professional environment
Cons
commute into WDC
Technician
Laboratory Technician, Agro-Ecosystems Management (Former Employee) –  Ames, IASeptember 18, 2017
Good training, education, and fun environment to work in. Would recommend this school to anyone who wants to expand ones education. Good support structure.
I loved my employment and the family work environment...
Supervisory, Contracting Manager (Retired) (Former Employee) –  Auburn, ALSeptember 16, 2017
I have health issue that requires less stress on a routine basis. I never prepared my mind for retirement life. I was a "heavy-hitter" working to the fullest levels for excellence.
Pros
Wonderful, secure organization. A public servant, secure retirement, loved my bosses!
Cons
Constant reorgs, disarray from the HQ in DC, unstable management for a long time
Loved the work I performed
IT Specialist (INFOSEC) (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LASeptember 15, 2017
I worked for USDA for 35 1/2 years. I just retired from the Agency.
Enjoyed celebrating different holidays and having luncheons to get all employees together. Also had sports games the employees were able to participate in. Just being with a great group of co-workers.
great place to work full time
Summer Intern and Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Coastal Plains Experiment Station Tifton GaSeptember 14, 2017
this has been a very enjoyable as well as educational experience over the last 3 years but as i am nearing graduation I am looking for a Career. I am looking for a job that i can advance and move up.
Pros
Flexible schedule with school
Cons
no benefits as a student worker
Productive work
Program Technician/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Whitwell, TNSeptember 12, 2017
The job had a lot of redundant data entry but that made it easy to learn the job. I enjoyed the customers and i was very happy i could help them. My boss was very helpful through the learning process.
Pros
1 hr lunch break
Feeding America's Hungry
Program Analyst (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VASeptember 12, 2017
FNS works to end hunger and obesity through the administration of 15 federal nutrition assistance programs including WIC, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), and school meals. In partnership with State and Tribal governments, our programs serve one in four Americans during the course of a year. Working with our public, private and non-profit partners, our mission is to increase food security and reduce hunger by providing children and low-income people access to food, a healthful diet and nutrition education in a way that supports American agriculture and inspires public confidence. No American should have to go hungry.
Supervisory Program Manager, USDA
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 11, 2017
fast paced work environment . This is a federal government job so work is highly regulated and each task need to follow strict policies and guidelines, not many opportunities for innovative thinking.
Best place to learn to build consensus.
Supportive Environment
Director, Tribal Relations (Former Employee) –  Office of the Secretary, Washington, DCSeptember 4, 2017
The most difficult aspect of my role at USDA was that I needed assistance from every Agency at the Department. I was impressed with the collegiality, the support, and the combined effort of the personnel at USDA to get the job done. The team is the best and most supportive to work with.
Mental stress
Consumer Safety Inspector (Former Employee) –  United StatesSeptember 2, 2017
The environment of the United States Department of Agriculture is a very fast pace environment. Depending on whether one is self-motivated to learn and become the best that they can possibly be, the mental stress can become overwhelming because there is no true structural support.
Pros
Great Health benefits
Cons
Lack of true support
A semi itil shop
IT Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 2, 2017
It was slow paced, relaxed place to work but too slow pace for me. It was a semi-ITIL shop which made things confusing at times. It is my understanding ITIL that you do or ITIL or not. But most procedures and processes were well spelled out and I enjoy writing technical instructions for my colleagues.
Pros
There was free lunches, plenty of time off and a good benefits
Cons
A bit too slow paced.
great pace to work
Food inspector (Former Employee) –  Dobson, NC 27017September 1, 2017
great place to work and gain knowledge if your really willing to work. You will gain employment if you have specialized experience or college education.
Pros
great place
Awesome sauce
Assistant Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NE 68510August 31, 2017
The soils lab in the Lincoln, NE federal building is the most fun I have ever had in a job. It was a school contract job so the contract ended when I graduated from high school. I cannot say enough about the ladies in the soils lab.
24yrs of continuous service and an excellent place to work
Regulatory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Riverdale, MD 20737August 29, 2017
Early retirement due to personal issues. Time was needed to regroup, rethink, and relocate. If not for the timing and complexity of personal issues I would not have retired. Now that I have,and moved into this new stage of my life...I'm grateful. Helping others as a CNA is the ultimate personal gratification for me.
Pros
All positive
Cons
N/a
Fast Pace Job
Intermittent Food Inspector (Former Employee) –  Dillon, SCAugust 28, 2017
This job is very fast paced and extremely important to perform correctly. The work hours can be long on some days but you are given appropriate breaks throughout the work day.
Pros
The importance of the job
Fast paced
Processor (Former Employee) –  Bartlett, TNAugust 27, 2017
Very fast paced industrial atmosphere decent pay very fast paced learned much about the texture, quality and weight of the cotton ;product while working there.
The friendly and positive enviorment
HACU/Human Resource Intern (Former Employee) –  Riverdale, MDAugust 24, 2017
U.S. Department of Agriculture offers work and life balance, employees can work from home, they believe in good morals, communication and respect. Being a family is their motto.
N/a
Business Services Specialist, GS (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NC 27609August 23, 2017
The position is a fairly new position. It is a part of a transformation to make employees subject matter experts. There are still quite a few issues with this transformation.
Quiet and reserved place to work.
Software Engineer Consultant (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COAugust 22, 2017
Working for the USDA is great. The people are amazing and the job is challenging and there is always room for creativity. There is a real feel of ownership by everyone, making this a nice place to work.
Pros
Great benefits and people
Cons
Quiet and reserved