U.S. Department of Agriculture Employee Reviews in United States

Byzantine System of Nonaccountability.
County Program Technician (Current Employee) –  Washington, PAAugust 24, 2016
What can you say about an organization that has been allowed to run itself for decades with little or no oversight? Yeah. That's what it's like.
Pros
Schedule
Cons
Advancement. Lack of Integrity.
A place to learn a lot
Program Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 17, 2016
Department of Agricuture gave me the chance to experience a lot in different areas across the board. It was an experience where you wouldn't be doing the same things everyday which I enjoyed.
Productive employee
Bioinformatics Programmer (Former Employee) –  Albany, CAAugust 16, 2016
As the most productive employee in my unit, I was frustrated with the bureaucracy of government work and the old ways of supporting a website which frankly took too much researcher time. The workplace was hostile with suggestions for improvement shot down with curses. The future of the research budget was a constant concern and frivolous spending on server architecture prevented software purchases. Though in a renovated building, water leaked from the ceiling in one peer's lab. The secure facility was more of a nuisance to most though a grounds crew was always present, working on something or other. Lack of wireless internet plagued the bueracracy and months were spent by a maintenance team installing ethernet cables to the labs.
I got to participate in some great research nonetheless and get a paper published with a group at Davis.
Pros
View of Golden Gate Bridge. Onsite greenhouses. Community garden with tomatoes and sunflowers.
Cons
Older building, bureaucracy, no wifi outside of breakrooms.
I was able to work with farmers and understand their needs
Program Administrator (Former Employee) –  Enid, OKAugust 15, 2016
My job was basically to assist farmers in understanding and assisting them in signing up for different farm programs. During this time I was taught how to map fields and describe them for the farms permanent history. Everyone I worked with were very easy to get along with. The only difficult part of this job was the overload of work that was required at times, however we always got through it and in the end felt like we were helping people.
Pros
Atmosphere
Cons
Extreme work load
Mediocre position
Call Center Agent (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAAugust 15, 2016
Easiest job to ever come by. Disappointed I lost that job, the money was more than the job required of you. Remained centered as you go through your work day, you have no reason to complain. I will advise to network while in the facility.
Pros
Employed
Cons
Time
Very quiet with great people to work with
IT Specialist Intern (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCAugust 11, 2016
Being a person accustomed to a upbeat work environment, it was a great place to work: great people, great laugh, and very productive.
Great Job
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Beltsville, MDAugust 8, 2016
Great Job and flexible hours. However, not much room for growth. Would recommend to anyone seeking a government job.Management is supportive with training and preparing for the next move.
Great place to work!
Program Technician (Current Employee) –  Byers, COAugust 2, 2016
This was a great place to work. The funding was cut and all temporary positions were cut. My co-workers were awesome. I loved helping the producers and interacting with them.
Numbers
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJuly 31, 2016
To call farmers and gather information vital for the USDA. The job was fun because of the farmers that we called they were good natured funny people even if their farm wasn't producing like they wanted.
Pros
raises on time every time
Cons
part time work hours no benefits even though it is a government job
No chance for advancement unless you have a degree
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 23, 2016
A typical day at work , we log in samples with log in numbers and prepare them for FIA instrument and cleaning glassware. Maintaining quality assurance records and clean and sanitize work areas. I learned to measure samples in tubes and add the appropriate reagents and place the samples on the digester machine. My co-workers were helpful and easy to get along with.

There was no hard part of the job and the most enjoyable part of the job was learning to work on different analysising machines.
Pros
Learning to analysis samples
Cons
There was no cons.
Learn Something New Every Day
Program/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSJuly 19, 2016
Every day is different. People traveling to other countries need health certificates to take their pets and the obstacles we encounter to make that happen can be unique each day, and can prove to be a learning experience for all involved.
Pros
weekends off, low stress, interesting work, overall great work environment
Cons
Lack of opportunity for advancement locally
Government job. applied to retire from government
Mail room clerk (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 23, 2016
I took this job so I could consolidate my time and retire from the government, The job was great but to drive the length I did daily was just to much..need something closer to home.
Pros
good benifits
good
Enjoy the work, Every day is different.
Support Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Quincy, CAJune 17, 2016
My job is unique in that I do not the same duty every day. Every day brings different duties and items to be dealt with. The only problem with this job is that it is not in OKC.
Pros
flex time
Cons
is not in OKC
Deputy Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 3, 2016
Working for NITC was a great chance that I've been giving. The challenges are always there which makes it a perfect place to learn new things everyday and advance my skills.
Its the Government....
Loan Processor and Incoming Calls Counselor (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 3, 2016
USDA...what can I say about the agency? Great fellow employees and we all exude teamwork. I love my coworkers. Great Benefits packages . The hardest part of the job is dealing with management. The most enjoyable part of the job are my fellow co-workers. The job is very mundane and it seems to be a lot of depressed people. I have been a part of the organization since 2004 and it has continued to dwindle down on employees. Management used to be awesome but now, Its not. And this isn't just from personal opinion. this is something told to us in an open meeting with the CEO. Another BIG problem is all the changes they are making to our complex, but nothing to benefit the employees like they used to. We consistently have to deal with a sewage stench, large rodents, bugs and spiders. The buildings have major plumbing issues as well as numerous leaks throughout the buildings. Its just not what it once was.And its sad to see it go down the way it has as an overall agency. Again, good benefits and good employees, but bad management and horrible facilities. And not to mention we are incredibly behind due to short staffing and they aren't hiring many people and consistently getting rid of people per this movement of "automation".
Pros
Good, hard working employees.
Cons
cafe, parking, management, the sewage problems, the rodents, the bugs.
Great Learning Experience
Biology Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Parlier, CAMay 31, 2016
I enjoyed the hands on training. Learning new procedures and setting up field experience was a great experience. The work place was refreshing. Team work in each lab was great and efficient.
Pros
Hands on training. Staff was helpful.
Great Lab Experience
Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Beltsville, MDMay 31, 2016
I learned a lot about research and what it's like to work in a laboratory with plant pathologists. In this internship, I conducted an 8 month experiment on Penicillium species on post harvest apples.
You have a job to do and it is for the Government and You do it.
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMay 27, 2016
Excellent place to work and independent environment. There were no questions asked and all information was public to employees and when something did not work, I was required to repair it.
Pros
No Pros
Cons
No Cons
Great Place to work
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Pierce South, FLMay 25, 2016
Great place to work. Great environment. Diversity is observed and is big part of the culture. Management is very oriented for employee career development.
Pros
Federal Goverment Benefits
Cons
Temp Positions are not secure
USDA Rural Development:
Student Processor (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MO 63120May 19, 2016
I enjoyed my time at USDA and the co-workers for the shift I was on. I started in 2008 and was instantly "welcomed" into the night-shift family. There were many holiday food days, and celebration days in which we'd have an office pot luck. I have enjoyed my tenure there, and wished I could have stayed longer and moved to full time status.
Pros
Good staff and friendly/stress free environment.
Cons
No healthcare due to working Part-Time

U.S. Department of Agriculture Reviews by Location