U.S. Department of Commerce Employee Reviews in United States

Trade
Management Analyst- full-time 40hrs per week (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 24, 2016
If you are interested in trade and foreign policy this is the right government agency for you. I enjoyed learning of the new automobiles that were going to be sold in the U.S. from foreign companies. I had the opportunity to read and learn of the reviews before automobiles arrived here in the US. I bought my very first SUV based on Japan reviews before the vehicle made it to the U.S. Department of Commerce has potential. If you are looking for rapid career growth do not apply to this agency. They do not offer very many high level jobs.
Pros
International Trade Specialist/Export Trade Specialist
Cons
Others
Good benefits but require a lot of overtime
Patent Examiner (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJune 5, 2016
The agency provides great benefits e.g., flexible work schedule and excellent health benefits package as well as opportunities to learn and to advance your career. Coworkers are smart and knowledgeable and most of them I met are willing to help and easy to get along with. However, it can be very stressful to meet the bi-weekly production goals and a lot of overtime is required. It is difficult to have a work-life balance at times. Your performance also depends heavily on whether or not your reviewer/supervisor is willing to sign off your cases and provide enough resources for you to do the job.
Pros
Flexible schedule, great environment to learn
Cons
Unreasonable production goals and ineffective management
Fun place to work at
Software Quality Assurance Test Engineer, Senior (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMay 22, 2016
Create documentation and reports to include a Master Test Plan, Test cases and scripts, Test Readiness Review Briefs, Testing Evaluation Summaries, Known Defect/Fix Log, Release Notes, Deployment Plan, Data Migration Plan, Implementation Plan, System Performance Report, etc
Experience reporting defects to Project Leads in daily scrum meetings while updating the defects in the Bugzilla.
Experience interacting with developers, business & management teams and stakeholders
Strong interpersonal skills
Great Job wrong management
Central Field Representative (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 20, 2016
I feel that the last job I obtained was great however, I feel that they didnt allow me to fulfill my potential in that I wassnt properly trained and some isms existed with that team. However the flexibility was a great to be able to work independently.
Pros
Working independently
Cons
Micromanagement, mileage reimbursement low
I enjoy working and taking care of the team.
Former Federal Government employee (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC 20230April 25, 2016
Mature, dedicated, loyal professional. Thirty-four years of administrative support experience. Eighteen years of federal government experience in the capacity of office management. Currently unemployed and actively pursuing employment. Willing to take any salary offered. Thank you.
Productive and quality workplace
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Roswell, NMMarch 14, 2016
This position was demanding in some ways, your work day included driving through your route at a fast pace and continually greeting each family in a very concise manner. The management of this office was extremely helpful in every situation.
Pros
Free coffee and rolls in the am and free lunches during training.
Cons
Demands of number of families visited
Small department with two offices
Intern (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 9, 2016
As an intern, my typical day was to log on to my computer, answer emails and perform tasks as needed by my supervisors. These tasks included basic research and reports on companies useful for seminats with the program's incoming participants, data entry into excel and sharepoint, set up and dismantling of meeting areas, one on one interaction with the participants and basic office management. I learned a lot about how to behave in a professional workplace, office communication, and the value of paying attention to detail. The management was well structured, and my supervisors were supportive, patient and welcoming. The hardest part of the internship was learning the value of attention to detail. The most enjoyable part was the interaction I had with the participants of the program. I learned a great deal about them, and as such grew from that experience.
Pros
Travel stipend
Great Company to work for, great benefits and bonuses.
Book Keeper/Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Commerce, CAMarch 5, 2016
Great working environment. Great benefits and bonuses. Great learning experience. Being able to handle multiple tasks with minimal supervision. Very family oriented company, small office settings.
Pros
Great Benefits, paid holidays, medical and dental. Bonuses.
Cons
No room to grow in the accounting field.
relaxed atmosphere and friendly coworkers
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 28, 2016
Great opportunities for entry level professionals. The work is very detailed oriented and interesting, however there should be more opportunities for project related teams to enhance performance.
Pros
Employees with strong work ethic can advance quickly.
Cons
Work over time becomes repetitive.
Great environment for people in scientific career fields.
HR Specialist (Information Systems) (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MD 20899May 30, 2016
I worked at NIST, which is a great environment for people in scientific career fields. Which makes sense, but it's important for people in non-scientific career fields to understand this going into the culture.
A good start
Accountant / Federal Career Internship Program (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDFebruary 2, 2016
Department of Commerce was the first government agency that I worked for. I enjoyed my stay and the job itself. I was an intern so at that point I was still learning. The training was horrible and I had to go outside of the person who trained me to find someone who can show me the proper way of doing my job. Management was fair and I never had a problem communicating with them. It was a good start for me.
Pros
compensation, benefits, good balance in work and family life
Cons
insufficient training
Productive and fun environment
IT Specialist/Computer Engineer (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAApril 26, 2016
Challenging work pace with learning of cutting edge technology for the latest advancements of database and software development tools for variety sized warehouses from Google to the smallest startup companies.
Pros
Relaxed enviroment
Cons
NA
Fast paced environment with great job satisfation
Field Representative (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 29, 2016
My workday consisted of organizing and routing on maps and the internet where I would spend my time that day. Most respondents were available in the early evening or early morning. I learned that people may think our government can be invasive but that had nothing to do with me personally. The hardest part of my job was successfully selling respondents on the idea that the government was not focusing solely on them to pick on them.
The most enjoyable part of my job was the freedom to work varied hours and travel and meet interesting new people.
Pros
Working my own hours
Cons
Working late at night to accomodate respondents
Worked as a Quality Assurance Manager for the 2010 Census
Assistant Manager for Quality Assurance (Former Employee) –  Catonsville, MDFebruary 18, 2016
The 2010 Census was a continuous high energy operation that required a great deal of dedication and commitment. Daily operations were hectic. The management team was a mixture of private and public sector trained managers who worked well together.
Excellent experience
Crew Leader Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 11, 2016
I chose my hours, I worked hard, as crew leader assistant I would some days have to take over the job of crew leader and loved it, I learned to deal with different situations and the changes that can come in the day. management was good. my coworkers were great to work with. The hardest part of my job was going home because I simply loved what I was doing and the most enjoyable part was the smile on my coworkers faces when they got their job done well.
Pros
flexible hours, free lunch
Cons
lots of walking, dangerous neighborhoods
US Dept. Of Commerce
Manager For Field Operations (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCMay 3, 2016
Very structured and deadline driven. I would definitely work for this agency again. The management was very good but sometimes lacked compassion.
Pros
very good pay
Cons
very demanding and sometimes without the tools to perform
Patent Examiners
Patent Analyst (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJanuary 7, 2016
Patent examiners make decent salary with opportunity for overtime, all promotions are non-competitive until management level. Good job security and work/life balance, telework opportunities a big draw. pays much less than private sector, can be difficult to get hired if not an engineer, impossible unless an engineer or science/medical background.
Pros
work/life balance, job security, telework options, non-competitive promotions
Cons
monotonous, repeatative, mentoring and management can be inconsistent, few cookie cutter career trajectories, many find work boring
Excellent working experience
International Trade Specialist (Former Employee) –  VenezuelaJanuary 14, 2016
Great team work

Great opportunities for professional growth and continuous learning

Excellent programs to participate and learn about foreign trade.

Great place to make leads and contacts at all professional levels.

Good management and supervision.

Great location and work environment.
Pros
Excellent learning experience
Cons
Slow advancement and promotion
Interacting with people and details of private info
Enumerator/Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Glens Falls, NYMarch 2, 2016
Gotta like dealing with people for this job. All types of people too, some very happy to give you the information you need to get and others not happy and unwilling to cooperate with you.
Pros
Able to set your work hours
Cons
pay rate
Fast paced environment
International Trade Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 18, 2016
I was able to work with a lot of different airline carriers took part in a lot of meetings and negotiations about airline carrier contracts. An exciting experience indeed!
Pros
Work Environment
Cons
short breaks

4.2