U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Employee Reviews in United States

Supportive/Great Place to Work
Public Health Advisor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 4, 2015
Working for U.S. Health Human and Services has been a rewarding opportunity. There are various opportunities to participate on teams and to conduct work efforts independently. Above all, I have an opportunity learn while on the job!
Pros
Staff Development and Growth
Cons
N/A
Very rewarding career; many different areas of research
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDDecember 10, 2014
There are many centers and institutes a part of the entire organization that would be phenomenal to work with. There is so much that goes into grants and research that given the opportunity, one would find to be very interesting and rewarding.
Pros
great work-life balance, management wants you to be successful
Cons
like any government organization, the position must be available in order to move up, but in time they do become available
Very prosuctive workplace sometimes it's too busy, but worthwhile and rewarding.
PH Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 24, 2013
This is a very good agency to work for especially if you have a passion for helping others; however, it depends on what office you work for and what supervisor you end of having. The office has a great mission and I very much enjoy working in the office that I work in, but the management makes it hard to continue in that momentum and provide the kind of flexibility that is sometimes needed. Discord and problem solving is an issue as well as communication within the office. Overall it's a good place to work you make a good salary, have good benefits, and leave, but you have to weigh weather peace of mind is more important than a good salary.The best part of the job is being able to provide help where it is needed in the communities. I have learned that there is much needed help that should go directly to communities with populations of color and there is a lot of outreach needed there as well.
Pros
leave and automatic increases
Cons
flexibility in particular offices and some management with no people skills
I enjoyed the challenges which this position entailed as well as the team work I shared wth my colleagues.
Assistant to the Deputy Assistant Secretary (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDFebruary 8, 2015
During my employment as the Executive Administrative Assistant to the (Politically-Appointed) Deputy Assistant Secretary, I was privileged to gain a wealth of knowledge about Population Affairs. Our office provided information to the general public regarding such topics as Adolescent Pregnancy-Prevention, Planned Parenthood and various other family-oriented information resources.
Work Day
Fiscal Customer Service POC (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDJune 22, 2015
Work on special excel reports each day. Interact with my co-worker internal and via email. They are great group of people to work with but the systems we work on are useless.
Awesome Place to work
Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDJune 25, 2015
The federal government is an awesome place to work. The jobs are gratifying and I love feeling like I'm doing something positive in the community.
Nuturing Environment
Affordable Care Act Intern (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 23, 2015
Serving as an Intern at this organization provided me with the sufficient amount of tools to broaden my knowledge in the public health field.
Pros
Encouraging staff
Cons
Limited work due to my position
Outstanding Place to work/Work was taken seriously
Correspondence Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 13, 2013
Good people, very hard working. learned how to prioritize daily tasks. co-workers where great and helpful. meeting deadlines was the hardest part of the job. Most enjoyable part of the job was the comradery.
Pros
job security
Cons
no cons
Good, but in need of improvement.
Paralegal for Medicare Operations Division (MOD) (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 3, 2014
I had a great time working here and some of the seasoned staff attorneys were very helpful. The administrative management was very poor however.
Office for Civil Rights - a very fulfilling job
GS - 15 Supervisory EOS (Regional Manager) (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 20, 2015
No typical day at work. A wide variety of issues to work on and things to do. Great co-workers. Very engaging work involving civil rights and health care privacy complaint investigations.
Independent work required
Equal Opportunity Specialist (Investigator) (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MissouriFebruary 19, 2015
Very satisfactory work requiring extensive knowledge of laws. An adequate timeframe was provided allowing for independent decisions.
Amazing place for a young professional
Policy Advisor to the Secretary (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 9, 2015
I learned and grew a lot personally and professionally at HHS.
Pros
job growth
Excellent learning experience
Intern (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 11, 2012
Excellent learning experience. Was able to work closely with my preceptor to hammer out the issues surrounding PTSD in adults, children, and adolescents who have been affected by natural and/or man made disasters.
Government Agency
Contract Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 24, 2013
Reviewing invoices on contracts
Ensuring they were in compliance
Customer service
Pros
telework, own office
Cons
hi turnover

4.6