U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Employee Reviews

Bureaucracy at it's worst
Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 24, 2017
HUD's important mission is strangled by it's bureaucracy. The culture is palpably negative and passive defensive. "This is the way it's always been done" is the mantra. There is no accountability for poor performance. Strategic decisions are rarely data driven. Entrenched career managers chase away talent with micromanagement and lack of innovation.
Pros
Career Stability
Cons
Soul sucking culture
Like a family
Contracting Officer Representative/ (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 9, 2017
HUD has had a bad reputation but I see them actively trying to improve their culture. I would recommend working there. There is a lot of attrition and will allow for fast upward mobility.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
long commute to center of DC
I enjoyed the opportunity
SECRETARY (OFFICE AUTOMATION) TO THE DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJune 6, 2017
I worked fulltime temporary for the director. I learned of different departments and met very wise and caring people. The type of workplace you want to stay.
Pros
Great people in the workplace
Cons
Worked fulltime temp, too short of a time.
Great first job in a business office
Clerk-Typist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 6, 2017
With this being my first business office job. I enjoyed working there. The department co-workers were great in helping me learn the ropes of how working in the business field operates/
An effective government agency
Lead Administrative Support Clerk, Contractor (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 5, 2017
A great place to work if you can get hired; however Veterans preference makes it difficult for non-vets to be considered for entry level positions.
As a contractor, there are no opportunities for advancement or additional consideration for permanent employment with HUD.
Work place culture
Budget Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 8, 2017
I think the work place culture is something to be desired. I find a lot of clicks and I think the work environment leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to be able to move a round and obtain other jobs.
Pros
Salary
Cons
In ability to find other employment
It was a delight to work at US HUD
Knowledgeable
The hardest part
Leaving
Most enjoyable
Being a part of the team
Not a good place to work
Management and Program Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 24, 2016
Not much room for advancement. Cultured of advancement based on likability and not work. People are rude and nasty. People focused on your personal life and not work.
Pros
good worklife balance
Cons
work culture and people horrible
Senior Auditor that led assignments usually related to fraud, waste and abuse
Senior Auditor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 18, 2016
Great place to work and receive necessary CPEs for CPAs or CIAs to keep their licenses current; outstanding benefits and pay
Pros
Pay, family friendly
Cons
Politics, Personnel
duplicate
Office of General Counsel (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 1, 2015
Please see the previous entry under this employer. Supportive managers, lots of training. Unfortunately, not many times that I was able to utilize training.
Positive atmosphere but slow pace
Attorney Advisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 11, 2015
The HUD office was very friendly and willing to teach skills to new employees, but the pace of work is very slow. HUD is very amenable to helping you get into the work or office location of your choice, however, and makes lots of training available to you.
Duties
Law Clerk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 10, 2015
Flexible location to work for; ability to make my own hours and work from home on a regular basis. Conducted legal research and drafted legal documents for five ALJ judges.
review
Law Clerk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 11, 2015
memorable times.at this place with a memorable staff that will remain with me for the rest of my life. some of my coworkers were fun and smart people.
Student Intern (Grant Officer) (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 28, 2015
Manage grant files and grantees. Handle problems/concerns come up on a daily basis. Assists senior grant officers on whatever is needed of me.
Great people
Program Support Assistant (Quality Assurance) (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMay 12, 2015
HUD is easily one of the best places I've worked as a federal government employee. The work environment in my office is non-hostile and open to new ideas. For a government agency, this is a refreshing change of pace!

During my time with HUD, thus far, I have really been able to focus heavily on honing my IT system skills. I have always been quite adroit with technology, but at HUD I really feel like my skills were challenged and valued in this specific aspect of my professional life.

The people I work with have been great so far. Some of the best people I've worked with, in my entire working life, actually. Management is honest and fair to me, and that's about all one can ask for. My peers and co-workers are accepting and competent.

I enjoy coming into work most when there is a problem that needs to be solved, the tighter the deadline the better. For whatever reason, I seem to thrive on pressure and I always seem to do my best work when under the gun. At the same time, I do value the lulls in work load as well. I would say that, at least for this specific position, the hardest part about my job is the inconsistency of work--truly feast of famine. Some weeks work would overflow from my desk, while other weeks there wasn't a task to be found within 50 feet in any direction.
Pros
Flexible work hours, smart people, generous vacation time, supportive bosses and co-workers
Cons
Government agency with a small budget (by Federal standards), inconsistent work load
Great organzation
HUD Fellows (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 7, 2015
Great company to work for
Good location
Easy location for commute
Good pay scale
Good personnel
Lots of things to do in the area
Loved working at DOS
Supervisor/Task Lead (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 17, 2015
Great group of employees and most management were fair. You will learn a lot. Would love to work there again. Take opportunity to further training
Fun and dectication
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 4, 2015
My typical day at work consist of filing and helping customers. I learned how to become more of a multitasking person in changed environments. The management was great in always assisting with help if needed. My co-workers were fun to work with and also very persistent. The hardest part of the job was trying to handle a variety of diverse people wants and needs. The most enjoyable part of the job was just to work in a with great co-workers to make the job easy.
Pros
Great benifits, nice lunch breaks, cash spot awards
Cons
n/a
Productive Work Environment
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 19, 2015
I just enjoyed my job and being part of an amazing team. I worked in a small office of about 7 people. The hours were awesome. L'Enfant plaza metro was near me.
Productive and fun workplace
Management Analyst (Trainee) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 3, 2014
I enjoy my coworkers and the great environment. Everything is done in a nicely and effectively.
Benefits
Cons
Advancement