U.S. Department of State Employee Reviews in United States

Good Place to work
State, Senior Security Advisor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 27, 2016
Good job security, good place to work. People are friendly and nice, never any issues. Benefits are good as is the retirement.
Interesting place to work at. Can be frustrating somestimes.
Immigrant visa assistant (Former Employee) –  OverseasAugust 17, 2016
Working at the State Department definitely teaches you a lot, especially when you are a beginner. There are many smart people from whom you can learn everyday.
The "problem" is usually with the locally employed staff. As soon as they secure the jobs and pass the one year probationary period and it becomes hard to fire them, they start working as little as possible. There are always exceptions, but not that many...
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Short breaks. Background checks take forever.
Love this job
Quality Assurance /Quality Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 15, 2016
The Best job I have gotten thus far. Love the area close to Washington DC. Co-workers were faboulous. Management was always there for the employee. Great job and salary
Like to meet new people
Inter-con/Diplomatic Security Officer (Current Employee) –  North Charleston, SC 29405August 15, 2016
A day or night at work can be very good by meeting people from all over and learning different information on the different areas. Management and my co-workers are good to work with but the hardest part is working different days and nights. Most enjoyable meeting people, learning new things and time off.
Good internship
Virtual Student Foreign Service (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORAugust 11, 2016
I enjoyed the internship and the work. The supervisor was helpful and had good communication with the interns. The work was also interesting, and allowed me to get involved with the work of the U.S. State Department.
Opportunities of a lifetime
Contracting Officer's Representative (Current Employee) –  Roswell, NMAugust 10, 2016
Being employed with the Department of State has afforded me opportunities to work around the world with many different cultures. Part of my job duties once required me to travel on the spice road in Tajikistan to do an on site inspection for work performed by a contractor. I would certainly include it as one of my life's greatest adventures.
Pros
Travel, work with great people
InterCon Services
Uniform Protection Officer (Current Employee) –  District of Columbia, DCAugust 4, 2016
This position is contracting therefore it is really hard for me to enjoy this job. However the pay is great and my co-workers are amazing.
Pros
Pay and ability to work in DC.
Cons
Shift Work and no security
Teamwork to accomplish foreign police training.
Curriculum Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Dunn Loring, VAAugust 2, 2016
Due to recent downsizing my day-to-day duties have increased and recently extreme pay cuts have forced many people to leave their jobs and seek employment elsewhere.
Pros
World Travel
Cons
Pay issues
HELP DESK ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Rosslyn, VAJuly 6, 2016
I grew to love the agency. Its has a few down falls but the pros definitely out weight the cons. Some agencies does not have promotion potential.
Pros
Flexiable work schedule
Cons
No Promotion potential
Special Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC 20250July 5, 2016
Wonderful place to work!!! Great benefits...Vacation, sick leave, retirement and health. Federal holidays. Plenty of Bike trails and walk paths.
Pros
Federal Holidays, flex work schedules
Cons
Traffic in DC can be a nightmare
Diplomacy
Program Analyst-full-time 40hrs per week (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 24, 2016
If you join this organization. Join as a FSO (Foreign Service Officer) you can visit www.state.gov. Sign up to take the foreign service officer test for free.
Pros
Foreign Service
Cons
Not Foreign Service
Lax Environment
Budget/Program Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 14, 2016
Management is very lax and allows employees to perform work on their portfolios without much supervision/micromanaging.
goo
Unix Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCJune 10, 2016
work was great, love the job, co workers were nice, wish I could of stayed on the contract longer. learned a lot, great experience
Great careers
Office Director (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 9, 2016
U.S. State Department is a great place for a career in International Affairs. Positions are challenging, varied, and require a high level of competence.
Pros
Dedicated people
Cons
Big Bureaucracy
n/a
Oracle Database Administrator (Current Employee) –  Washington/Metro, DCJune 8, 2016
Pros
Great work. Great work atmosphere. It is an honor to serve my country.
Cons
Salary and advancement can be fairly static, given the promotion process.
Behind the times/ INTER CON
Diplomatic Security Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 8, 2016
Everything was in paper version, instead of being electronically scanned, which takes more time to complete the job efficiently.
Pros
Management is excellent
Cons
Not funded enough money
Challenging and Rewarding
Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 2, 2016
I learned a lot at the U.S. Department of State. Interning was a valuable experience and I loved every minute of it. I worked in the Press Office and it was an awesome experience.
A Good Place to Work
Data Entry Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington/Metro, DCJune 2, 2016
You work at your own pace with less supervision, the workers here are very helpful when in need of help. The hardest part of the job is maintaining the work load that comes in from all over the place meaning, email, mail, fax, etc. With constant training I am able to progress within the field I am working in.
Motivating Environment
Special Investigator (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 31, 2016
I enjoy my position as a Special Investigator because it allows me to set my own hours and work load. This is a perfect position for someone who is self motivated and does not require a lot of supervision.
One of the best places to work in the fedtral government
J1 Visa Program Coordinator / Analyst/COR (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 31, 2016
Great place to work with lots of opportunity. Great place to continue service to the country. A Kaleidioscope of people which makes for diversity and excitement
Pros
Great
Cons
Politics

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Department of State. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3