U.S. Department of State Employee Reviews in United States

ok
Team Lead Participant Monitoring Unit (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 19, 2016
ok just fine, stable government job
not much advancement
good working conditions
good benefits
fair management
hours are fine
telework option is a good thing
A productive and stimulating place to work.
Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCOctober 18, 2015
During my time working at the Global Financial Service Center, there were no typical days. My main function was to do staffing and classification. I managed reports on staffing and classification for both Charleston and Washington, DC. I put together vacancy announcements and posted them to the hiring system. I reviewed the applications of eligibles and helped rank and rate them. I produced the certificate of eligibles. I sat in on interviews. I assisted the manager with the selection process. I made job offers. I helped the employee with the clearance process. Once the employee had the clearance I would arrange for them to enter on duty. I would then send them the necessary forms and information. I also had other duties as assigned, such as helping with the awards program. Assisting with performance issues. Attending meetings on disciplinary issues.
Pros
Stable working environment, good pay and benefits.
Cons
Long hours and many reports
A very nice working environment where you can learn a lot. Nice and knowledgeable management.
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vietnam, PROctober 23, 2015
People are nice and helpful. You have a chance to be sent abroad for training where you can meet and share your experience with many locally employed staff from other US diplomatic posts abroad. Competitive compensation plan. Lots of holidays as you will be entitled to both US and local holidays.
Pros
Nice complan and lots of holidays
Cons
Job is stressful
Fascinating Work, Brilliant Colleagues, High Pressure Environment
Interagency Weapons Removal Task Force Member (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 31, 2016
Hard working and smart co-workers, learned a huge amount about foreign relations, international affairs, managing teams, diverse cultures, and the importance of interpersonal skills in making any effort a success. A typical day of work involves lots of reading, writing, advocating, negotiating, and briefing (written and oral). The hardest part of the job was moving every two to three years to represent the United States as a Foreign Service Officer at Embassies abroad and the family disruption this caused. The most enjoyable part of this job was the people I met and the experience of living and working in fascinating foreign countries.
Pros
Interesting work, job stability, promotion opportunities
Cons
Heavy workloads, high-pressure deadlines, mobile life-style
High Personal / Professional Job Satisfaction
Regional Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Multiple (U.S. and overseas)November 26, 2015
One of the highest-rated U.S. government agencies for employee performance and satisfaction. Opportunities for domestic and overseas assignments, and journeyman/apprentice and supervisory positions. Competitive pay and benefits.
Great Place to Work!
LEAD BUDGET ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 1, 2015
A great place to work if you have the time to commute from where I live back and forth everyday and raise a small child. They promote work from home twice a month and the benefits are great.
Retiring U.S. Diplomat Lauds the Foreign Service
liaison (Current Employee) –  Washington, D.C.July 21, 2015
I have served eight Secretaries of State and four American presidents from 1990-2015, and cannot praise this career-track enough. I would advise anyone interested in serving his/her country with an eye towards helping to improve the lives of others to consider this line of work. There are myriad opportunities not only to see the world and get to know its fascinating people, but also ways in which to help those less fortunate, while learning from the experience.
Exciting government career
Special Agent, Diplomatic Security Service (Former Employee) –  Washington DCSeptember 28, 2015
wonderful experience if you like travel and government service. Above average benefits. Aside from typical bureaucracy and culture great place to work,
Pros
worldwide travel & benefits
Cons
its the government- get use to it
Great Agency to work for
Program Specialist, GS (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 17, 2015
The government is a great place to work, great job security, flexible work schedules, great benefits, powerful leadership, excellent training.
Review of State Department
System Administrator II (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 4, 2016
The US State Department is a great place to work. Not only is the environment healthy but the people here really work and come together to achieve a common goal. The work life balance is the key here where you don't take work home at-least from my experience the environment at the State Department is the best i have ever experienced.
Interesting career if you like to move a lot and experience cultures
Foreign Service Officer (Current Employee) –  OverseasNovember 18, 2015
There is no typical day at the State Department. Your enjoyment and pleasure in a career in the organization will depend on your background and experience. If you have few experiences and are willing to adapt to the FS life and management style, then you may do well as long as you don't get sideways with one of the bosses. Otherwise, cut your loses and seek a new career.
Pros
Good housing while living overseas
Cons
Too many moves
Relationships more imp than work ethics!
Instructor/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAFebruary 21, 2016
There is a lot of " native country" style of management. Nepotism, favoritism and lack of skills in those hired based on relationships rather than merits.
Pros
multicultural, beautiful campus, great experience with diplomats
Cons
nepotism, " native country" culture in hiring, favoritism, stressful
it is supposed to be listed as State LLC not Dept. of State
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAAugust 13, 2015
Customer base was good. Subs were good to work with. Compensation was adequate. Management was easy to get along with. Hours were long at times but rewarding.
State Department Intern-Paid
Transportation Management Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 24, 2015
First time working in the field of Logistics Management, Transportation Management, and Contractors for Cargo.

Was a thrilling experience, wished I could have worked there again this summer.
Pros
Pension provided, rudimentary healthcare benefits, strong competitive pay
Cons
Long hours, high-stress environment
The best place to work!
CLERK 2 (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAApril 22, 2015
Responsible for receiving incoming telephone calls and acquire the requested information to ensure customer satisfaction.
Utilized laws and policies of the state to review documents received.
Verified documents for authenticity.
Billed clientele based on accurate calculations of monies owed.
Maintained high standards of work performance and promoted cooperative working relations with other functional areas.
Performed a variety of computer operations.
Cons
Staff, benefits
Niche position in an elite field
Project Manager (Contractor) (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 18, 2015
Typical day at work:
- Responding to project request inquiries from a variety of federal agencies
- managing ongoing projects
- creating estimates and verifying funding for future projects
- working on self and team-initiated side projects which could include: Updating Client Guidance, training new linguists in CAT tools, establishing new workflows, developing a translation training program

What I learned:
- Project Management
- government work styles
- politics - internal, external, global

Most enjoyable part of the job:
- Working alongside incredibly smart people
Pros
excellent pay
Cons
weak management
Highly learning stage for me. Dealing with USAID bureaucracy was quite educating.
Regional Project Manager. (Former Employee) –  Washington D.C.May 4, 2015
This was my first job in the US. The USAID bureacracy and my co-workers treated me with appreciation and respect. Flexible work hours. The salary was adjusted to my own lack of experience with international development and justice sector reform projects. Learned a lot.
Pros
Flexible work time. Not much overseas travelling. Well tutored in the learning curve.
Cons
----
A Good Place to Work
Data Entry Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington/Metro, DCJune 2, 2016
You work at your own pace with less supervision, the workers here are very helpful when in need of help. The hardest part of the job is maintaining the work load that comes in from all over the place meaning, email, mail, fax, etc. With constant training I am able to progress within the field I am working in.
Great place for an internship
Energy Officer Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 12, 2016
As an Energy Officer Intern, the team at ENR was able to put me to work on projects that were well suited for my analytical skills and legal education. The team-oriented environment provides a great atmosphere to get work done in a fast and enjoyable way.
Pros
Great People, team atmosphere
Cons
The clearance process
Great work environment with a lot of great skills available.
Project Management Support (Current Employee) –  Springfield, VAJanuary 11, 2016
Great work place with supportive management, focused on building great productions and a great culture. Strong leadership.

4.3