U.S. Department of State Employee Reviews in United States

A Good Place to Work
Data Entry Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington/Metro, DCJune 2, 2016
You work at your own pace with less supervision, the workers here are very helpful when in need of help. The hardest part of the job is maintaining the work load that comes in from all over the place meaning, email, mail, fax, etc. With constant training I am able to progress within the field I am working in.
Fascinating Work, Brilliant Colleagues, High Pressure Environment
Interagency Weapons Removal Task Force Member (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 31, 2016
Hard working and smart co-workers, learned a huge amount about foreign relations, international affairs, managing teams, diverse cultures, and the importance of interpersonal skills in making any effort a success. A typical day of work involves lots of reading, writing, advocating, negotiating, and briefing (written and oral). The hardest part of the job was moving every two to three years to represent the United States as a Foreign Service Officer at Embassies abroad and the family disruption this caused. The most enjoyable part of this job was the people I met and the experience of living and working in fascinating foreign countries.
Pros
Interesting work, job stability, promotion opportunities
Cons
Heavy workloads, high-pressure deadlines, mobile life-style
Great place for an internship
Energy Officer Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 12, 2016
As an Energy Officer Intern, the team at ENR was able to put me to work on projects that were well suited for my analytical skills and legal education. The team-oriented environment provides a great atmosphere to get work done in a fast and enjoyable way.
Pros
Great People, team atmosphere
Cons
The clearance process
Review of State Department
System Administrator II (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 4, 2016
The US State Department is a great place to work. Not only is the environment healthy but the people here really work and come together to achieve a common goal. The work life balance is the key here where you don't take work home at-least from my experience the environment at the State Department is the best i have ever experienced.
Challenging Environment
Attorney (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 3, 2016
The work is important and the people are committed. The salary is not commensurate with the work expectations. I have grown and learned a lot about the practice of law and my ability to practice. I have worked in many positions and this one is more enjoyable than most.
The Department of State/Bureau of Investigation has the public safety first and foremost. I am interested in advancing my career
Professional Conduct Investigator (Current Employee) –  Scranton, PAFebruary 22, 2016
The Department of State is a professional organization with public service in mind. I am interested in working for Talen Energy as an investigator with years of experience in Regulatory Compliance.
One of the best places to work in the fedtral government
J1 Visa Program Coordinator / Analyst/COR (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 31, 2016
Great place to work with lots of opportunity. Great place to continue service to the country. A Kaleidioscope of people which makes for diversity and excitement
Pros
Great
Cons
Politics
Special Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC 20250July 5, 2016
Wonderful place to work!!! Great benefits...Vacation, sick leave, retirement and health. Federal holidays. Plenty of Bike trails and walk paths.
Pros
Federal Holidays, flex work schedules
Cons
Traffic in DC can be a nightmare
Relationships more imp than work ethics!
Instructor/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAFebruary 21, 2016
There is a lot of " native country" style of management. Nepotism, favoritism and lack of skills in those hired based on relationships rather than merits.
Pros
multicultural, beautiful campus, great experience with diplomats
Cons
nepotism, " native country" culture in hiring, favoritism, stressful
Motivating Environment
Special Investigator (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 31, 2016
I enjoy my position as a Special Investigator because it allows me to set my own hours and work load. This is a perfect position for someone who is self motivated and does not require a lot of supervision.
Diplomacy
Program Analyst-full-time 40hrs per week (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 24, 2016
If you join this organization. Join as a FSO (Foreign Service Officer) you can visit www.state.gov. Sign up to take the foreign service officer test for free.
Pros
Foreign Service
Cons
Not Foreign Service
Behind the times/ INTER CON
Diplomatic Security Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 8, 2016
Everything was in paper version, instead of being electronically scanned, which takes more time to complete the job efficiently.
Pros
Management is excellent
Cons
Not funded enough money
department
Authentication Clerk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 19, 2016
it was a very good time working with the department of state. I believed that my social skills have grown since I worked there, my co works were all great. Nothing was really hard about the job and I enjoyed everything about the job.
Loved working at Department of State
HUMAN RESOURCES SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCMay 22, 2016
My supervisor was the best and flexible. Could not ask for a better supervisor. My co workers were pleasant to work with.
Pros
work hours, telework, compressed wor schedule
The Best Organization
Procurement/Purchasing Agent (Former Employee) –  U.S EmbassyJanuary 5, 2016
Leadership is both a research area and a practical skill, regarding the ability of an individual or organization to "lead" or guide other individuals, teams, or entire organizations. Controversial viewpoints are present in the literature, among Eastern and Western approaches to leadership, and also within the West, on US vs. European approaches.
Multi-Culture
Program Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAFebruary 10, 2016
Processing of contracts and administrative work
Interacting with vendors and high level officials pertaining to contracts post, and pre-awards.
Negotiating with vendors
researching the internet for quotes
inputting solicitations out on FedBizOps
Pros
meeting people
Cons
N/A
A very nice working Environment but the job was contract based
Subject Matter Expert (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 22, 2016
I loved working with the DoD and DoS but since the job was contract based we had no guarantee of the job and its on and off. As a contractor we were never treated contractor.
Pros
Interesting work place
Cons
Contract base Jobs
HELP DESK ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Rosslyn, VAJuly 6, 2016
I grew to love the agency. Its has a few down falls but the pros definitely out weight the cons. Some agencies does not have promotion potential.
Pros
Flexiable work schedule
Cons
No Promotion potential
Life at Dept. of State
Senior Information Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 16, 2016
3rd best place to work in the Federal Government. Great work life balance. Great retirement and vacation. Opportunities to travel to many different countries around the world.
N/a
Foreign Affairs Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 11, 2016
Fast paced work environment, working at the highest levels of the US Government. You are constantly tasked with doing everything from briefing senior USG officials to booking travel for leadership.

4.3