U.S. Department of State Employee Reviews

Professional, productive and friendly work place
Human Resource Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 21, 2017
Very professional and friendly place to work. IDP friendly and great mentorship program with Department of State. Great opportunity for growth and development.
Pros
Diversity
Cons
short breaks
Wonderful place to learn, work and career growth.
Assistant Budget Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 19, 2017
Department with rewarding career. Work place culture is multicultural and dynamic. World best professionals work here. Make you learn how to meet deadlines.
Great Working Environment.
Immigrant Visa Specialist (Former Employee) –  US Embassy Tirana, AlbaniaMay 15, 2017
A great work place. Great management and great benefits. The work environment its very friendly and the benefit package makes this work place one of the best in Albania,
Pros
Private retirement package
Cons
20 paid holidays per year, 26 leave days, private medical insurance.
High paced for budget and OMB submission
Budget Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCMay 11, 2017
High paced in BP, submissions to questions and budget were constant and required immediate response.
Clarity is response at every level and detail information was critical to provide upper level management.
Pros
transit subsidy
Cons
no teleworking
Travel Opportunities
Security Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 8, 2017
Working as a desk officer affords you the opportunity to travel the world. There is an array of experience you are privy to with working at state department. A typical day is corresponding with Regional Security Officers from across the world and ensuring that the mission overseas is provided the necessary means to function to full capacity.
Pros
travel
Cons
healthcare
I am a volunteer
International Exchange Alumnus (Current Employee) –  PalestineMay 4, 2017
After graduating from the US department of State sponsored cultural exchange programs, Alumni are expected to stay involved with the community and work on self and community development.
my review
Senior Social Worker (Current Employee) –  DelawareMay 2, 2017
There is not much room for advancement and the State still has a lot of racism. Gaining education does not increase your chance of getting a raise or a better job.
Pros
good health care
Cons
poor pay
Full of Opportunity
Senior Political Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 1, 2017
Great place to be exposed to a wide range of work, but it comes with a cost...your personal life. If traveling the globe in pursuit of a high-level mission, this is a great place to consider.
Working at the United States Embassies.
Electrician (Current Employee) –  United States EmbassiesApril 30, 2017
The typical work day at the United States Embassies have a meeting with the Facility Manager on the HVAC and electrical issues that need addressing and what additional work that needs to be done. I have learned that my paper work means a lot and defines what I am doing to make the embassies power efficient and that my paper work shows what kind of character I am . I learned that I can make a difference . The hardest part of my job is the traveling weekly and the most enjoyable part of the job is making sure that I'm making sure that the all the electrical power panels and installations are NEC ( National Electrical Code) compliance .
Pros
Traveling and making the embassies up to NEC code compliance.
Cons
Traveling weekly and no paid time off.
Passionate workers; great for training and advancement
Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 27, 2017
The nature of work at the State Department makes people passionate about what they do - serving their country and forwarding America's foreign policy. It's an interesting and engaging job and has lots of opportunity for training and advancement.
Pros
A job where most people are very passionate about what they do
Cons
Leadership frequently changes
A good fit for many people
Foreign Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 26, 2017
With the breadth of jobs at DoS, there is a fit for someone that can work within a governmental culture and understands the limitations of the organization. The experiences grained can be amazing and the ability to be at the leading edge of international policies is fantastic.
Pros
Great family benefits for schools and time off
Cons
Stovepiped organization, and many small minded individuals
Review
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 25, 2017
Reviewed files, help clients. Answered phones. Reviewed resumes. Worked in a team settng. Set appointments. Enjoyed working in this culture. The hardest part of the job was leaving.
Well-balanced and relaxed place to work
Accounting Clerk Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 23, 2017
Supervisors are relaxed
As long as your work gets finished there are no complaints from the higher-ups
Alternate work schedule is available
Teleworking
Pros
Teleworking, Aws
Cons
Office drama
Foreign Affairs
Foreign Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 23, 2017
Travel and overseas assignments may be anywhere in the world. While overseas you are either working or on call everyday. Domestic assignments may not exceed five years.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Long Hours
Great place to work.
Community Liaison Coordinator (Former Employee) –  U.S. Embassy Mexico CityApril 20, 2017
I had many opportunities to meet new and interesting people. I enjoyed interacting and collaborating with the different departments. Huge opportunity for growth in dealing with different situations and adapting to different leaderhsip styles.
Pros
Great benefits.
Cons
Having to say goodbye to friends and colleagues when they're re-assigned.
A Dream Job That I Lucked Into...
Information Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington D.C.; Ten Embassies WorldwideApril 19, 2017
I usually showed up early in order to get basic daily operations out of the way, and then took on issues as they came up--call it "systems triage". I also prepared classified items for shipping. Lived overseas most of my career, which gave me a unique view of the world. That I frequently would stay away from my coworkers after work made me a little more able to adjust to living outside the American Embassy community.
Pros
A better understanding of the world outside of the United States...
Cons
Sometimes, dealing with the difficult...
Great
Passport Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 19, 2017
The work environment was great. An excellent work environment. Great place to learn customer service skills. Learned so much from working here. I enjoyed talking to people national and international.
Mission Driven Professionals
Director of House Affairs (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 18, 2017
Jobs at State vary greatly from bureau to bureau. The agency has highly dedicated, mission driven professionals who excel at their job. Workplace collaboration and real-time problem solving to policy issues is a positive. The tendency for stovepiping and bureaucratic obstacles is a negative.
Great
Automation Test Engineer (Current Employee) –  Springfield, VAApril 18, 2017
Great, its good, but budgets are getting trimmed and projects are getting shelved, for next fiscal year they are expecting a 30 per cent cut in overall budget
Great working with this company
Student Cultural Ambassador (Former Employee) –  VirginiaApril 14, 2017
I worked as a cultural ambassador. Had a lot of fun working with them. I was trained for a leadership role. The environment and employees are helpful and care about you.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Department of State. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3