U.S. Government Employee Reviews

Office setting is great
Mechanical Engineer/US Navy Port Engineer (Current Employee) –  Mayport, FLMay 21, 2017
We are set in open 4 person cubes that allow open communications. All ideas are shared equally. All decisions have multiple inputs from people with varied backgrounds. that always produce a strong, valid result
Pros
committed employees
Cons
none to report
Enjoyed the work I did and the people I interacted with
Technical Editor/Writer (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen Proving Ground, MDMay 20, 2017
Government was government. Great job for 25 years and the pay was good. Definitely management micro-managed.Worked with a lot of great people and learned a lot. With hard work upward mobility was possible.
Pros
Salary
Cons
micro-managed
Mostly Stable
Director (Current Employee) –  Washington Navy Yard, DCMay 17, 2017
Great place if you are supporting a family. If you want to be autonomous or innovative, keep looking. The work is fairly easy no matter what agency you work for as long as you are relatively qualified to perform the job. Leadership is the biggest issue, since most are merely puppets and aren't able to lead without all the red tape.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
limited breadth of growth; slow paced; stagnate technology; lacks innovation
a job for an outdoor enthusiast
Enumerator/Crew Leader Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beaver, PAMay 9, 2017
This was a very easy job and very enjoyable if you like engaging with people from all walks of life and must love the outdoors. Must ahere to HIPPA laws
Pros
make your own schedule
Cons
strictly for outdoorsmen walking in all terrains and the weather
adequate part time job
Crew Leader Assistant (Former Employee) –  Youngtown, AZApril 28, 2017
Made personal visits to citizens to collect data for us census. Made repeat visits when people were not home. Made follow up phone calls to set up appointments with people I was not able to catch at home. Entered all information collected in online system.
Pros
set own hours
Cons
frustrating trying to catch people at home
Served the purpose
Production Line and Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edgefield, SCApril 25, 2017
I handled every aspect of military textile manufacturing from reception of bulk raw materials to the shipping of the completed products. Most of the time I had around 100 men under my supervision.
great job
US Army (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAApril 21, 2017
Good job we did a lot of gym type lifting as well as running. I got to shoot just about every small type weapon the army has to offer. Participated in three combat tours.
Surrounded with professionals
Field Engineer/Safety Director (Current Employee) –  South CarolinaApril 18, 2017
I have had the pleasure to be surrounded by professionals that know their jobs and are excellent team players. The ability to advance and contribute are awesome. I would recommend this track to all ambitious professional that are willing to put in the hard work and see it pay off in your professional and financial life.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Away from family
Officer
(Officer) Operation Directorate (Former Employee) –  WorldwildApril 5, 2017
Interesting Job, lot of Travel.
Long Hours, week end and night hours but very great contracts.
Good teams to work with.
Some good travels and had to meet interesting peoples
Pros
Good intersting Job
Wildly productive experience
Intelligence Intern (Former Employee) –  VirginaApril 5, 2017
Classified position but an incredibly valuable experience. Greatly enhanced team work and communication skills in the work place. Held a security clearance and went through extensive training handling classified materials.
Laid back environment
Computer Information Specialist (Co-Op) (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 4, 2017
A typical day work is making sure the data tapes were backed up; Make sure everyone within the company had connectivity.
Make sure development/coding was update to date.
Pros
Flexible hours /work from home
Cons
Limited growth and introduction to today's technical app
interesting place to work
Child and Youth Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Polk, LAApril 1, 2017
excellent training for employees, good place to take children to be watched, educational for both children and employees. Decent pay and decent hours.
Pros
good work environment, decent pay, good hours
Cons
no healthcare for part-time employees
Not for the faint of heart
Operations Management Consultant (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 29, 2017
Solid career choice if this is your passion and you enjoy the challenges of moving complex parts daily; with a high level of interaction within multiple departments.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Depends on how you view your life
Good management training
Combat Medic/Healthcare Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Lewis, WAMarch 26, 2017
This is where I learned the most about managing people. The clinic I helped run serviced about 800 families along with single soldiers. There were a lot of moving to adjust to but I became a better leader with time.
Pros
Learned to manage people
Cons
meetings
Veteran Affairs - Work Force Management
Corporate Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSMarch 21, 2017
Management was horrific and did little to promote or foster evolving and staying up with current technology. Upper management only cared about themselves and looking good for their bosses
Pros
Work hours
Cons
Future benefits and good environment working toward retirement
Finance and Accounting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Knox, KYMarch 15, 2017
Good job security in government positions with opportunities for advancement to those willing to work. Many benefits for continuing education and promotion.
Good work environment
Telecommunications worker (Current Employee) –  Camp Lejeune, NCMarch 9, 2017
Get to meet many different people everyday, work that is accomplished is satisfying and I enjoy what I do everyday. Everyone is friendly and will help you if needed
Scary
TSA Agent (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 7, 2017
I was not liking the constant danger that came with this job. Every morning we would huddle to listen to different incidents that have happened to other airports and this scared me to my core.
Pros
Pay was okay
Cons
Very dangerous
I had a direct contract with the US Governement.
Instructor/Role Player/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Willow Grove, PAMarch 4, 2017
As an instructor/role player at the National Collaboration Development Course, a school that was stood up based on the recommendations of the 9/11 Commission. Students from all federal law enforcement agencies as well as the intelligence community attended this great course in order to acquire skills in how to collaborate with other agencies to achieve a common goal. Great curriculum.
Government
Medical Administrator (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 2, 2017
Accept government position in Nov 15 and started April 16. In current position I am an administrator; however, due to government culture everything is a wait on everyone else, even though you are responsible. There is low to no accountability of other organization members. I have learned this is not the best fit for me due to government bureaucracy. No opportunity to use critical thinking skills or make impact. I like high paced work environments where I am challenged and can make an impact to the overall organization and patient care/experience. The hardest part of the job is the government wanting to run like a business but not realizing the limitations or challenges they put on them selves. Access to providers isn't necessarily as significant to the patient as is quality efficient care and patient experience as noticed on the JOEs surveys. The present work environment is laid back culture & with autonomy. My preferred work environment is a professional environment with autonomy and accountability.
Pros
stability, gaurantee pay raise for the first 4 years
Cons
Not challenging

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Government. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3