U.S. House of Representatives Employee Reviews

Do not be deceived
Professional Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 15, 2017
I was lucky -- or so I thought -- to land a plum job on the staff of a Committee in the House. Forget everything you learned in your civics textbooks. The deadlocked nature of Congress means we worked on the same issues each year. Also, the real policy making was not done by the committee members and their staffs, but by a tight circle in the leadership and their chosen interest groups. Pay was terrible, but benefits were great. I felt I did not contribute anything. If I was paid more and had had a family, this would have been an excellent sinecure. Basically, you are paid to be a prop in the grand pageant of American democracy.
Benefits
Cons
Slow pace, low pay, inability to make a difference, lots of waiting around late at night
Satisfactory but stressful
Case Worker (Current Employee) –  San Juan, PR 00901October 24, 2017
You can receive a feeling in completion when you can assist a constituent, that no other could. But at the same time you can feel too much pressure in the completion process.
Pros
making contacts
Cons
4 year term duration
Great Govt Agency!
Payroll & Benefits Contractor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 21, 2017
Excellent Government Department to work for. Great opportunites and lots of room for advancement!

You would have to work at the US House to experience it's greatness.
Working in a diverse environment
DISTRICT REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Lincolnshire, ILAugust 16, 2017
As a district representative work was very fast-paced and influential. Not only working alongside with colleagues from different ethnic backgrounds but assisting those with amazing stories from all over the world who also are from different races and ethnicities.
Pros
Positive, well determined work environment.
loved my job very much
Executive Assistant/Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAAugust 15, 2017
I was with the House of Representative for many years.
I loved the work so very much.
It was quick paced and extremely stressful. The best part was seeing positive results when it came to helping our constituents.
High stakes, high tensions, outsize personalities, some good times if your party is majority
Deputy Counsel (Former Employee) –  Washington DCAugust 1, 2017
Set up hearings, be jack-of-all-trades at mark-ups, manage tensions between authorizing subcommittees (like ours) and the Appropriations Subcommittees.

Big egos all around you, tense environment. At peak season you will be rebuked for unproductive uses of time, such as eating lunch.

Big payoff, though, when your piece of legislation gets through.
Pros
Stuff that matters, like making federal law
Cons
Can be in over your head at any moment, no margin for error
Great place to intern
District Intern (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaJuly 23, 2017
I loved interning at the district office in Greensboro, NC. I learned a lot, improved myself in many ways, and gained valuable knowledge about politics, constituent services, and what makes a good employee.
Long Hours - Good Civic Duty
House Staff (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 12, 2017
A typical day begins by 9 and isn't over until between 6-8, sometimes later. The pace is usually pretty fast and there is no room for error. You can expect that no 2 days will be identical and the job is truly rewarding when you see monumental legislation pass.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Lower than average pay
Demanding and fast-paced
INTERN (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 9, 2017
It can be challenging depending on the representative and the staff/ ongoing projects. An insightful way to learn about the legislative process. High turnover rate, so it's easier to move up
When your boss espouses one thing yet does another, it's time to go
CONGRESSIONAL AIDE (Former Employee) –  ColoradoJuly 7, 2017
This is not a position that garners much in the way of advancement (dreadful), or monetary compensation. Fair benefits. The tuition repayment has been helpful, particularly given the pay is terrible. There is definitely a glass ceiling in Congress. No matter how much you with to advance, there are no real options in any district office. District office staff members are not considered "the same breed" as DC staff personnel, as such, there is no advancing to the DC offices, either.
Mostly, the work is personally very satisfying, however. Not every day is a great day, certainly, but the good ones outweigh the bad by a long shot. The experiences I had will, I hope, put me in good stead to join another firm.
Colleagues are exemplary. The way our particular office is structured makes a lot of sense: you don't get burned out doing too much of one thin.
Pros
Satisfying Work
Cons
Terrible pay. Boss who says one thing and does another. Unhelpful direct management.
Purpose driven public service
District Director (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 5, 2017
If you are a purpose driven individual that cares deeply about public service, working for the U.S. House of Representatives could be the right fit for you. You have two options, work on Capitol Hill or back in a district office for a Member of Congress. Capitol Hill is surprisingly busy even though they don't seem to accomplish a whole lot. Working in a district office focuses less on policy and more on constituent services and directly engaging the constituents the Member was elected to serve.
Stressful
Communications Director (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 12, 2017
Extremely stressful, fast-paced environment regardless of member. Experiences and opportunity go a long way to helping you overlook the long hours, low pay and constant harassment
Legislating
Foreign Policy Fellow (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 10, 2017
Working at the U.S. House of Representatives was fast-paced with a steep learning curve. The work was satisfying, challenging, and largely driven by the happenings in the world. On any given day, I could be working on an aid package for the countries suffering from a famine, to working on strengthening the U.S. relationship with NATO allies.
Government Job with Questionable Management
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 5, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with coworkers and House staff. Management is lousy and there is a lot of turnover. No job growth or room for advancement. No raises or bonuses given in my department, other than a longevity increase. Great job opportunity to get your foot in the door, but most people only stay for a few years and move on to other opportunities.
Pros
High visibility positions; interactions with Members of the House.
Cons
long hours, no telework opportunities, poor work/life balance.
It was a great experience.
Liaison, U.S. House of Representatives, District (Former Employee) –  TecasMay 23, 2017
I enjoyed working for the people and giving back to the community.
It gave me the opportunity to travel and listen to people whom live in surrounding areas.
Constituent Caseworker
Constituent Caseworker (Former Employee) –  New Port Richey, FLMay 20, 2017
Best job I ever had! Enjoyed helping constituents with various federal and state issues. Enjoyed working with constituents and enjoyed when I could help the constituent. Very rewarding position.
Pros
Flexible Schedule and Member of Congress was a great boss!
Cons
Na
Great Place to work
Staffer/Legislative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 19, 2017
Outstanding group of people that I worked with. Outgoing and friendly. Truly cared about their constituents and the public they serve. Patriotic and mission oriented.
Best internship experience
Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 9, 2017
Cannot speak more highly of the opportunity this brings as a student interested in a career in government. Great exposure to U.S. capitol by being able to give tours.
High paced challenging atmosphere
District Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 12, 2017
High paced challenging atmosphere. Good for energetic types OK with working long irregular hours. There is no such thing as a regular day, and every pro is also a con in a way
Never boring job with good income.
Official Court Reporter (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 2, 2017
Listening to and preparing a transcript of Congressional proceedings was a fabulous experience. I learned all about domestic and international affairs involving the United States. I met and worked with many world dignitaries.
Most difficult part of the job were the hours that Congress is in session.