U.S. Marine Corps Employee Reviews in United States

Found 11,319 reviews matching the search
hard work, manual labor, good benefits
team leader/ Rifleman (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJanuary 17, 2016
typical work day involved Physical training in the morning followed by classes, on various subjects. I was in charge of 3 other marines, I made sure they were on time to appointed place of duty, verified that they had all the things needed for the task at hand. kept in contact with higher up to make sure tasks were delegated correctly and my team stayed on task.

The hardest part of my job was the conditions I worked in, the weather never stopped us from working. Rain, snow, cold, hot we would be working.

The most enjoyable part of my job was the people I worked with. they made the job better knowing you had someone who had your back.

I learned a lot of skills, some I got certificates for others I didn't. I matured a lot in the marines, I learned to work hard, how to be a leader, learned how to push people to make them better.
Pros
Benefits, job security
Cons
working conditions
Demanding work environment, but very rewarding
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Camp Lejeune, NCMarch 14, 2016
A typical day at work was pretty calm for the most part. I learned a lot about electrical work, leadership, and discipline. Some management was good and some was not so good. I also had a lot of good co-workers and some that were not. The hardest part of the job was when we were required to leave our family for long periods of time. The most enjoyable part was the camaraderie.
Pros
Great benefits. job security
Great way to advance your career
Company Training Director and Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Camp Pendleton, CAMarch 21, 2016
The Skills you can learn from the military range from technical expertise to leadership and management. You will get out of it what you are willing to put into it.
Pros
Job security, health and dental benefits, leadership experience
Cons
Long hours, tough work, hard on families
Demanding but rewarding
Intelligence Specialist (Former Employee) –  Camp Pendleton, CADecember 9, 2015
I learned how to manage, analyze and input confidential data. I learned safeguard and follow security procedures of said data. I gained excellent personnel managements skills (distribution of labor, exercising appropriate oversight, etc.) while being in charge of six subordinates during my last year there. I learned how to take orders from superiors and approach every situation and task tactfully and thoroughly.
Pros
Excellent benefits and plenty of room for advancement
Cons
Job culture is rigorous, making work/life balance a challenge
Unique organization offering copious life experience.
Rifleman (Current Employee) –  Camp Lejeune, NCApril 1, 2016
A typical day in the United States Marine Corps varies wildly, from work days spent doing administrative tasks on base, to high stress training events and overseas deployments. From the Marine Corps I learned valuable life skills on a near-daily basis in the form of difficult, character-building tests of oneself. My co-workers and I were much closer than you will find in any civilian occupation, there was always a very close-knit work environment. The hardest parts of the job were the most enjoyable, the unique challenges you face as a Marine give a strong sense of accomplishment.
Pros
Benefits, travel, challenge
Cons
Occasional long hours
Hard and Soft Skill Improvement Enviroment
United States Marine (Former Employee) –  Camp Lejeune, NCMarch 22, 2016
Trying to write review for 4 years of work experience is like asking a college graduate how 4 years of education is.

Each day contains a new set of workload and challenges. When a task gets completed, it is a great sense of accomplishment and fulfillment. Co-workers come from many different backgrounds and is a melting pot of culture, moral, and ethical beliefs. The hardest part of the job is communicating, but once that is set the hardest job is completing tasks ranging from small group setting (4 personnel) to large group settings (176 personnel). I would not change the last four years for a college experience.
Pros
Job Advancement, Job Satisfaction, Job Experience
Cons
Unusual Hours
Great Company With Great Benefits
Aircraft Logs and Record Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 11, 2016
Co-workers are fairly easy to get along with. The few things I've learned like honor, courage, and commitment has taken my work ethic and personal mindset to a much higher plateau. The hardest part of the job is constantly being away from family 6 months at a time.The most enjoyable part is to know that I was an integral part of something much bigger than me.
Pros
Benefits, Competitive Promotions, Leadership Skills, Traveling
Cons
Less time with family, long work hours +12
Great discipline and work ethic
Corporal of Marines (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaMarch 9, 2016
Typical day at work included preventative maintenance and services on all vehicles in our motor pool. Also providing logistics to the entire base. I learned how to be a leader and became very disciplined from my time in the marines. I wouldn't say the management was top notch. The leadership was not always very organized and they treated the marines like little kids. My co-workers were some of the best people i have ever worked with. I met some amazing friends and gained a brotherhood that will never die. Hardest part of the job was dealing with the way we were treated. Most enjoyable part of my job was traveling all over the world.
Pros
Travel, benefits, and friendships
Cons
Leadership
Wouldn't Change anything about my Experience
Electronics/Telecommunications Technician (Current Employee) –  29 Palms, CAFebruary 24, 2016
The first unit is typically the deciding factor in an individuals choice to continue in a military career. The culture and general cohesion amongst peers and coworkers is indescribable but the lack of balance between exercises and family is what sealed the fate in my decision. While I am very much grateful for the experience, I don't feel that the Corps can provide an effective or cohesive environment for families. The Corps has a mission, the mission is primary.
Pros
Incredible experience that any American should strive to fulfil in their youth
Cons
Lack of seperation between Home and Work suggested by high divorce statistics.
Productive and Professional Work place
California Team Leader (Current Employee) –  29 Palms, CAFebruary 12, 2016
A typical day on the job consisted of long days of training prior to deployment.

I learned how to be professional and developed a strong work ethic while enhancing my leadership ability.

The co-workers were professional during working hours and we worked diligently as a team.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the camaraderie that we developed within our six man teams.

The hardest part of the job was caring the heavy equipment to different locations and working throughout the night with little sleep.
Pros
Feeling of duty, opportunity for advancement
Cons
Long work hours, as well as working long hours over seas, Sometimes work experience does not necessarily transfer to a civilian job.
very long days and strenuous work
tactical switchboard operator maintainer (Former Employee) –  lcplJanuary 25, 2016
woke up at 445 am ran in formation for 45 minutes. the sun wasnt up yet. worked a ten to twelve hour day. then went to the gym for an hour at least.i learned leadership skills and how to live a healthy lifestyle. management was ok. im a bit of a free thinker.co workers were good some were horrible. those are the ones that stayed in though were the guys that shouldnt of stayed in.the hardest part of the job was the sleep schedule a good portion of the time only getting 6 hours of sleep on a good day no less than 4 hours of sleep on bad days. the most enjoyable part of the job was talking to other people and figuring out problems as they arise.
Pros
everything paid for. gym time food etc etc
Cons
verry un-competitive pay when compared to the contractors.
very diverse work placed filled with lots of interesting people.
Collateral Duty Quality Assurance Representative (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCFebruary 20, 2016
My time in the United States Marine Corps was excellent. My duties and responsibilities shaped me into the leader and mentor that I have become. I had the please to work with people from all over the United States and the World. This career afforded me the opportunity to travel and experience new things with good people. The job was extremely fun and self rewarding to know that my accomplishments in my day to day mission and duties were effecting the less fortunate around the world.
Pros
Job Security, Travel, Benefits
Cons
Being away from home for long periods of time.
Physically and Mentally demanding
Infantry Team Leader/Squad Leader (Current Employee) –  Camp Pendleton, CAMarch 30, 2016
We trained to perfect our skills and proficiency at our job. I learned to be a weapons expert and to secure whatever needs securing. I managed up to 12 men and one time. I worked well with others and always got the job done. The hardest part of the job was to keep pushing and driving yourself when many others wouldn't. The most enjoyable part of the job was deffinantly the men I was around and the way we worked together.
Pros
Benefits and the Job Security
Cons
Bad Hours
Productive and close knit. Busy, but fun place to work.
General Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Camp Pendleton, CA and Miramar, CAFebruary 29, 2016
A typical day at work was always busy. I have learned there are free classes to better ones self in any field; Always wanting to learn more. Management consisted of military and civilian mix, so there was always a new style to learn and take with you to any job. The most enjoyable part of a job is the different cultures and people one works with being a part of a military installation.
Pros
Award Ceremonies, department pitch sales, celebrating cultures throughout the calendar year. Working together as a team.
Cons
Health care changes
Strict and hardworking environment
Aviation Supply Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJanuary 12, 2016
We would start the day by getting up early and doing pt(physical training). Then we would report to work and had to be focused and ready to work the minute we stepped in the warehouse. Some days we would work twelve-hour shifts. I learned to be very disciplined and consistent at what I did and to never give up or settle for less. The management was very organized and there was accountability for everything and everyone. Most of my co-workers were always attentive and supportive on and off work. The hardest part of the job was I would say when we had to come to work really early in the morning(5:00 AM) for one month to do inventory of the parts since we had inspection the following month. There was nothing really enjoyable about the work except when I would get off and enjoy the little free time that I had. I would go eat at the chowhall and then go to the gym come back to the barracks and try to sleep early.
Pros
Gym on base, benefits
Cons
Little free time
I learned a lot and held important resposibilites for my age
Light Armored Vehicle Crewman (Current Employee) –  29 Palms, CAJanuary 26, 2016
A typical day wold include instructing physical training, then i will go to work and do maintenance on 5 vehicles then insure that the weapon system is fully operational. I have learned time management teaching skills, critical thinking skills, proper maintenance and how to read TM's. The hardest part was being gone for 6 to 7 months every other year, what i liked most was working with my co workers everyday because no matter what they are going threw the same thing you are and you get threw it together with team work and comradery.
Pros
job security, travel, lots of resources
Cons
being way from family for log periods of time
A great place to start your life or retire from lots of world travel and experinces
corporal (Former Employee) –  okinwa japan, and norfolk vaJanuary 12, 2016
A typical day started with working out as a team or large group then either I taught classes to new marines or handled government credit card buys or assisted in any maintenance around the base. I developed a lot of trades such as basic electrical pluming and hvac along with basic accounting. I also learned leadership skills and infantry tactics, multiple weapon systems and explosives.
my co workers are more like brothers and management like big brothers. hardest part about the job was the operation tempo always out the door doing bigger and better thing I handled the stress well but never the less hard. the most enjoyable part was the high stress of travel and training and or real time environments.
Pros
benefits travel steady pay leadership
Cons
low pay strict life style very far from home
Great experience
Local Security Chief (Former Employee) –  California,Virginia,Hawaii, IraqFebruary 25, 2016
Knowing that what you are doing day to day is helping this country stay safe,is a very rewarding and great feeling. Management varies to the amount of people and skill level they have.All management experience will differ from one another.
Pros
full benefits
Cons
long hours, dangerous line of work
Best choice I have ever made
Ammunition and Explosives Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 11, 2016
I joined right after graduating high school. Started at the bottom and within 4 years had worked my way up to managing my own platoon of Marines. I matured very fast and learned as much as I possibly could through my 4 years. I learned management skills, time management, communications, a high attention to details. I traveled all over the globe and worked hand in hand with other cultures. I would not trade one single thing for the experiences I had while serving. Serving my country is the proudest thing I will ever do in my life.
Rewarding but very tough
Non-commissioned Officer (Former Employee) –  North Carolina, USAJanuary 5, 2016
It will teach you many things such as discipline, order, directional focus on goals and many more things. It's very difficult to get through, but rewarding at the end.

Cons: Long hours, away from home, sometimes very poor management.
Pros
Great salary/career, family benefits
Cons
Long hours, away from home

4.4