U.S. Marine Corps
7,172 reviews

U.S. Marine Corps Employee Reviews

Rewarding, but challenging career with great benefits
Recruiter (Current Employee), Duluth, GAJuly 6, 2015
Pros: great benefits (medical and dental), housing allowance, college tuition, steady and exciting income
Cons: Long and inconsistent work hours, no more room for advancements
A typical day at work is never the same. I deal with setting up appointments, conducting sales presentations, meeting daily, weekly, monthly objectives, and processing young applicants into the Marine Corps. I assign jobs to applicants based off their qualifications. I conduct several telephone calls, which are mostly cold calls. I handle medical records, police background checks and any administrative – more... processing needed. There is a lot of leg work within this career field. I also conduct physical training sessions to prepare our candidates for the mental and physical rigors of recruit training. The Marine Corps has provided me with leadership and management skills that I need to be successful at any career that I may encounter. I manage close to fifty candidates at any given time. My co workers are like brothers to me, and we work very well together. Recruiting is a team effort. The most enjoyable part of this career is that I get to see young men and women remove themselves from horrible situations and start a new life for themselves. Every applicant joins for a different reason. I have had young men and women who have grown up with drug addict parents, no homes, no money, and no chance to be successful without the Marine Corps. We make sure they get afforded the greatest opportunities in life, especially college. To see the new Marines come back with great careers, money in their pockets and a new sense of pride, makes this job the most rewarding. – less
Aviation Electronics Technician
Aviation Electronics Technician (Former Employee), Havelock NCJuly 6, 2015
This was a great life experiance. There was a lot of good times but lots of long hard working hours. Travel was great food and housing not so much. Overall everyone who is capable should definetly give this a good thought.
Close net group of strong indivuals
UNITED STATES NAVY COMBAT CORPSMAN (Former Employee), Camp Lejeune, NCJuly 6, 2015
The USMC is also a great serivce to join. The brotherhood that you develop with your Marines is unforgetable. The work enviorment sets you up for sucess throughout life.
Great Sense of pride and belonging
Services Technician (Current Employee), MCAS Miramar, CAJuly 5, 2015
Pros: Medical and Dental benefits for my family
Cons: Long Hours, low pay
Challenging and fulfilling, long hours sense of accomplishment. Great feeling of brotherhood and camaraderie. Honor serving the United States as the premier Fighting Force.
Professional Educational Environment
Office Administrator and Personnel Manager (Former Employee), Lakehurst, NJJuly 5, 2015
Retiring from the United States Marine Corps speaks for itself. This is an elite organization that focuses on supporting and defending while educating Marines on physical and mental strength and awareness and enforcing good order and discipline within its ranks.
Military life
Personal Financial Clerk (Former Employee), Camp Pendleton, CAJuly 4, 2015
Pros: Great people
Cons: Military rules
Office duties to include phone work, making copies, use of micro fisch device, review financial records to ensure accuracy, cut checks to pay new joining Marines, communicate with other departments to ensue smooth transactions.
Excellent Employer
Maintenance Management Officer (Current Employee), Oceanside, CaliforniaJuly 4, 2015
Great organization to learn for. Develops people into outstanding citizens and members of society. Imbues leadership and character qualities that are hard to find,
Exciting
Rank of Corporal; Driving Instructor (Former Employee), Camp Lejune NCJuly 3, 2015
Pros: Great meals
Cons: Long hours
Exciting environment that changed from day to day. I learned how to deal with people situations and be straight forward. Coworkers can be nice and not so nice. The hardest part was being away from home and missing family. Traveling was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Once you sign the contract...
Administration Clerk (NOIC) (Former Employee), Wilkes-Barre, PAJuly 3, 2015
Pros: Benefits and Pay
Cons: Lots of work on the weekends and days off
If you sign the contract there is no going back. In order to be successful just what you are told and you will need common sense.
not what you whould think
Non Commissioned Officer (Former Employee), cherry point,ncJuly 2, 2015
slow long work days. everything is pushed for paper and it can really hurt your career. you have to help yourself progress because nobody else cares about what you need.
amazing
Cpl/SGT (Former Employee), Plainville, CTJuly 2, 2015
the best expierence i could ever ask for. i was able to advance within the corps rated on my performance . i was able to manage marines and mold them into the best personel ever
It was an honor to serve my country.
Corporal in Jan (Former Employee), Camp Pendleton, CAJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Leadership development, Improved my accountability and punctuality, good salary, medical and dental healthcare, I learned how to counsel and mentor Marines.
Cons: Artillery is a job in the Marines that puts a lot of stress on the body, lots of physical work and labor.
A typical day at work on base would be waking up at 0500 do physical training for 30-60 minutes, shower and go to the ''gun park'' that's where we do maintenance on the howitzers and the gear we need to shoot artillery. Clean our rifles and teach classes on crew serve weapons. Then I would counsel and mentor my Marines for the day, make sure their uniforms are clean and serviceable, talk to them and make sure they are mentally, physically and emotionally stable. And we would end the day around 1630.

A typical day in the field would consist of waking up at 0500, make sure all my Marines properly hygiene themselves (since the field can be dirty and harsh environments) eat breakfast and get ready to shoot artillery!
Good for entry level experience
Motor Transport Line Supervisor (Former Employee), 2nd Battalion 1st MarinesJuly 1, 2015
You work long hours without a schedule and cannot make any plans in advance. You make the best out of it while you are in, for example, you have to make work fun if not it will be a dull workday.
An Experience That I Will Never Forget
Machine Gunner (Former Employee), Camp Lejeune, NCJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Great Habits, Solid Work Structure, A Deep Sense of Honor
Cons: Being Away From Home
There are no words to express how much the Marine Corps affected me and my life. The good times and the bad have shaped who I am and I will always be able to fall back on what I learned there.
Thrilling
Weather Observer/Administrative Supervisor (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 1, 2015
The United States Marine Corps was exciting! The training and life of being a Marine was interesting. I was one of the fortunate few that got out before the war began. The time I was in was great!
Demanding and rewarding experience
Logistics Manager (Former Employee), Camp Pendleton, CaJuly 1, 2015
Pros: great benefits, great vacation plan
Cons: work weekends, deploy for a minimum of 6 months at a time
Demanding organization requiring long hours and deployments. Very rewarding with a high sense of accomplishment, great for travelling and having new experiences.
Great place to work meet great people.
Radio Operator (Current Employee), Camp Lejeune, NCJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Peoples you meet.
Cons: The busy work they have to keep you always moving.
The Marine Corps has great people makes work a great environment. The hours are not always bad but the benefits are great especially for family. Advancement is great as long and you keep your self squared away and out of trouble. Job security is a very good thing about this job also.
Its an Experience
Patrolman (Former Employee), InternationalJuly 1, 2015
Being apart of the United States Marine Corps was truly a life changing experience. The training I have received was one of a kind and truly prepared me for the transition from a military policemen to a security / peace officer in the civilian world
It was a great learning experience.
Tank Crewman (Former Employee), Camp Lejeune, NCJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Full coverage health care, job security, pay security
Cons: Unscheduled work hours, being gone from family so much, no overtime
A typical day in the life of a Tank Crewman for the Marine Corps was a long day, starting at 5 AM and could end anywhere from 4 PM all the way until 11 PM. A typical day of work with out physical training started at the Ramp where we would start our daily maintenance, and fix anything that was broken or needed to be calibrated. The day would usually consist of either maintenance all day, or would – more... have random classes to further our knowledge of our equipment, or new safety policies and there really was no telling when we would get everything done. When we did training operations we would be gone for a few days or a few weeks at a time.

I learned a lot from this job, though to include time management, and leadership, as well as a slew of mechanical skills.

Our supervisors, were just that, supervisors. They taught us and molded us, and we learned from them. They were not really good or bad, but they came and went a lot so on average I would say that most of management was good. They were always conscientious of our needs, and took great care of us for the most part.

My co-workers were some of the best friends and hardest workers I will ever know. I will never trade the experiences I had with those men for anything in my life. It could be difficult sometimes with them when someone was having an off day, because most of us where far from our hometowns, and had basically just started a new support system, but we had each other.

The hardest part of this job was just being gone so much. The work was hard itself but hard work is nothing to me because I enjoy hard work, but being gone from friends, and family, especially my wife, was difficult.

The absolute most enjoyable part of this job was just all the experiences and friends that I have made. All of my co-workers became like family, and it was difficult for me to leave them all behind. Having even just one good friend as a co-worker can make any job the best job you ever had. – less
Stability and Job security
Quality Control Inspector (Current Employee), San Diego CaJune 30, 2015
I have served my country for 20 years, and it was the best thing I could have ever done. I have had an abundance of training and skills added to my resume.
A typical work day for me would be managing 80 Marines and ensure they have performed all tasks assigned in Aircraft Maintenance, as well as ensuring all personnel problems are handled.
It was an excellent career path and I was able to gain tons of experience in a lot of fields.

1 2 3 4 5