U.S. Marine Corps Employee Reviews in United States

Found 11,287 reviews matching the search
Productive and exciting
Aircraft Maintenance Administration Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJune 25, 2016
There is a lot of hard work and determination that it takes to have a successful career in the military. The hardest part is being away from your family and losing a brother in a fatal incident. The best part is the brotherhood that is built and formed. The military provides structure, guidance, and opportunities. Not only to you get to travel the world, but you get to serve your country.
Pros
Travel, Educational Training, and Benefits
Cons
Deployments can come at wrong times
Terrible Work Environment
Flight Equipment Technician (Current Employee) –  Yuma, AZJune 24, 2016
The command structure tends to be counterproductive. The higher levels of management blame the lower levels for any problems incurred in the work environment, and takes credit for problems solved at those same lowest levels. In particular, the actions of three or four service members are held against the entire command, and no service member is trusted to drive further than across town safely without an in-depth plan involving gas stops, rest stops, meal stops, etc. I wish this were an exaggeration. It isn't.
Pros
Relative Job Security
Cons
Command Climate
Extremely Productive and Educational
Infantryman (Former Employee) –  Twentynine Palms, CAJune 29, 2016
A typical day starts with morning PT. the mission of the day varies depending on what the company and platoon need to accomplish. you can go from sitting in a room all day to running around all over base to get qualifications, training, dental, or medical deadlines complete. i learned a lot about the afghan culture and how our enemies of the world think. some of the management needs to be changed. i have had some very great leaders in my past units whom i looked up to as a role model.
Pros
Free food, Free Healthcare, Dental And Life insurance. Free housing
Life as a Marine
Infantry/Motorman (Former Employee) –  Kaneohe Station, HIJune 22, 2016
I spent 4 years in the Marine Corps. It was the hardest I ever worked in my life. Because it was so difficult , I learned to endure the tough times and to relish in the good. The Marine Corps gave me the opportunity to establish a strong self-esteem, and work ethic.
The work I did was under the job title, infantryman which largely consisted of military training for actual combat situations.
It was a strict lifestyle, that emphasized on attention to detail, understanding/application of classroom and field training, and cleanliness.
In the 4 years of service I reached the rank of Corporal and was honorably discharged.
Pros
I always felt like I was doing my best.
Cons
Being away from family.
Competetive and Challenging Evironment
Expeditionary Airfield Systems Technician (Former Employee) –  Twentynine Palms, CAJune 27, 2016
This profession has a very fast-paced work environment as well as a family oriented one. Self-motivation and initiative is a necessity. It can be very stressful but the supervisor and subordinate relationship definietly eases the load. The hardest part of the job is long hours and work weeks. the most enjoyable part was having the opporuinty to serve your country and do extraordinary things.
Pros
opportunities to do extraordinary things such as weapons systems, military vehicles and aircraft, and travelling.
Cons
long hours, stressful and high pressure environments
My Belief in my views
Director of Maintenance Operations (Former Employee) –  Yuma, AZ and Warner Robins, GaJuly 8, 2016
The typical day at work is a never ending state of change which I love. I have learned to be adoptable in every area of business and as a person. I love to work and learned new things about the business and my coworkers. I believe doing the bare minimum isn't good enough, you need to take pride in what you do to succeed in work and life. I enjoy in teaching/mentoring my fellow workers in that aspect. You are never wrong to do the right thing so do things correctly the first time!
Pros
Enjoy the work
Cons
Enjoy the work
Fast Paced and Tactical Enviroment with ethusiactic and motivating co-workers.
Motor Transportation & Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXJuly 21, 2016
Over-exceeded performance with the discipline to work through fatigue due to nonstop walking, lifting, and work. Firm and fair supervision to ensure and encourage work flow. The ability to multi-task and overcome last mintue task. Mental toughness to complete task in uncomfortable weather conditions. Plentiful exercise and training classes. Rifle marksman skills and tactical handling with different weapons.
productive place, fill with motivation and well driven leaders
SUPPLY TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  MCAS Miramar, CAJuly 8, 2016
One morning/day in the warehouse, I held a team meeting displaying the goals to accomplish for the day. My Boss came in and told me of a side project he needed to get done right away. Our task was to pack up and organized a few gear to be shipped out and support a military unit in the Yuma dessert, who were performing helicopter operations. We were able to assemble all the parts in record till and I coordinate with a shipping team to get it out to the dessert.
Serve your country
Sgt USMC (Current Employee) –  EverywhereJuly 18, 2016
This isn't a job that you just wake up one day and decide lets go be a Marine for awhile. It is a way of life that will stay with you even when you are no longer actively serving. The pay isn't bad once you have been in for awhile, but you don't join the Marines for the money, if you were joining the military for the money you would join the Air Force or one of the other branches. Overall if you are looking for a challenge in you life and the ability to do something only a few can say they have done, then this is the life for you.
I learned essential leadership skills, maintaining strong positive relationships, and technical skills. Enjoyed valuable work experience.
Tactical Data System Administrator (Current Employee) –  Camp Pendleton, CAJune 22, 2016
The Marine Corps instilled strong values of commitment and responsibility. The organization taught the importance maintaining positive relationships with co-workers through coaching and leadership. I enjoyed valuable work experiences as well as expanding technical skills in individual fields.
Pros
Benefits, world experience
Cons
Long hours, inconsistent schedule
Very challenging
Electronics Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Camp Pendleton, CAJune 22, 2016
A typical day in the United States Marine Corps varies wildly, from work days spent doing administrative tasks on base, to high stress training events and overseas deployments. From the Marine Corps I learned valuable life skills on a near-daily basis in the form of difficult, character-building tests of oneself. My co-workers and I were much closer than you will find in any civilian occupation, there was always a very close-knit work environment. The hardest parts of the job were the most enjoyable, the unique challenges you face as a Marine give a strong sense of accomplishment.
Job security with gauranteed pay
Corporal (Former Employee) –  Camp Pendleton, CAJune 22, 2016
You could work varying types of days long and short. Spend several days away from home and be physically challenged. Promotion opportunities and guaranteed pay bi-weekly. Most co-workers are good to work with. Must be extremely flexible for times and dates. Gain leadership experience and a sense of brotherhood.
Pros
Healthcare, Dental, Vision, Gauranteed pay, Payed Leave
Cons
strenuous work, long hours, could spend days or months from home, constant changes in locations and times, constant moving, hazardous
Productive work environment under high stress
Motor Transport Operator and Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJuly 2, 2016
-typical day at work is busy and mission oriented
-learned about leadership, management, teamwork, operational skills, operating under stress
-management was tough but hard working
-co-workers were great people and became even better friends of mine
-hardest part of the job was not seeing family
-most enjoyable part of the job was being with my friends
Pros
long lunches, paid vacation, medical/dental benefits, college benefits, weekends off
Cons
stressful, away from family, long hours, 7 days per week sometimes
A part-time job and culture like no other
Logistics Officer (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIJuly 2, 2016
You have to be in the Marine Corps Reserves to understand, but it's not for everybody, and for those who is it for it is a great life. This is not Active Duty, I have done both and often the Active Duty Marines that come off expecting something similar are disappointed.
Pros
Serve your country, see the world, gain life experiences you won't anywhere else
Cons
Democrats in office lead to cut backs, job loss, weaker military, less training, less advancements
Professional
Senior Telecommunications Manager (Current Employee) –  Oceanside, CAJuly 4, 2016
Have an overall knowledge of the equipment capabilities, for telephony, radio, data, and cyber security communications. Determine equipment and operational readiness; and supervise personnel installing, operating, and maintaining communication, and data facilities. Have an overall knowledge of operations, budgeting, and administration in order to establish procedures and to assist with the direction and supervision of communication functions.
Marine Corps
Corporal/Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Camp Pendleton, CAJuly 4, 2016
Life in the Corps is what you make of it. Although Mothers of America are ruining the Corps and its traditions, I wouldn't change it for a thing. We carry ourselves with pride, respect and dignity. You get out what you put into it. Its the best job in the world for those who want to learn and become a better person. You will always have those higher ups in charge that make no sense, tell you to complete stupid tasks but they all have a lesson to teach and learn.
Pros
Friendships, Bonds, Traditions, Uniform, Respect, Training
Cons
Hours, jobs, family time, mothers of america, softening like army
Productive and overall positive experience
Infantry Rifleman (0311) (Former Employee) –  MCBH Kaneohe Bay, HIJuly 6, 2016
I served for 4 years as an 0311 Infantry Rifleman, and while difficult at certain times, and sometimes facing somewhat bad leadership, it is overall a positive experience. There is much to learn and there will be lasting friendships with your fellow Marines.
Even if you do not stay in for 20 years, it is a great stepping stone into life, and you will gain much more confidence, professionalism, and a new outlook on life.
Pros
Life experience, fellow Marines, travel opportunities and benefits
Cons
Occasional bad leadership
Life Changing. It is what you make it
Master Gunner Instructor (Current Employee) –  Fort Benning, GAJuly 6, 2016
The Marine Corps always does more with less. Sometimes that starts to wear on you, especially when you are able to work with other services and see how the other side lives. There is a lot of pride that comes with the title U.S Marine, which feels great, but also comes with a lot of responsibility. The Marine Corps has stricter rules than the other services. The Marine Corps cares more about personal appearance and physical fitness than the other services.
Pros
Life long relationships, rigid and strict lifestyle, and opportunity to learn life skills.
Cons
Combat, rigid and strict lifestyle, being miserable for days on end.
Established and Goal Driven Military Branch
Division Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJuly 14, 2016
Daily work schedule was fast paced and strenuous with a defined goal.
I learned so much about myself in terms of leadership, supervision, chain of command, tactfulness, and physical fitness.
I gained a ton of management experience being a supervisor for the past 10 years.
There are many different approaches to co-workers and as a supervisor you must be able to adjust leadership styles to deal with each co-worker.
Hardest part of the job but also the most enjoyable part is the last second major changes to accomplish a mission.
Pros
Exceptional benefits
Cons
Time away from family
fast paced environment
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJuly 19, 2016
A typical day started at 0530 in the morning with at least 1.5 mile run with in between stops were we did different types of exercises. Then we were usually released for breakfast at 630 and be back at work at 715. The rest of the day consisted of doing preventative maintenance on equipment and loading and offloading supplies on 7 tons. We would clean up for the end of the day and usually on a good day be let out at 4:30.
Pros
Everything was usually at walking distance

4.4