U.S. Marine Corps Employee Reviews

Found 12,440 reviews matching the search
Fast pace and demanding
Office Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJanuary 18, 2017
Overall I enjoyed the time spent in the Marine Corps. The benefits are great and work culture is such that Marines will easily acquire the skills they need to be successful. The Marine Corps can be challenging at times, with long work days and the occasional extended training exercise. This can leave one wanting for more time to themselves however this is a perfect environment for someone wanting to learn a skill or sharpen their skills in a particular field. The Marine Corps instills a "no failure" mindset into its Marines which benefits the organization as well as the individual Marine.
Pros
brotherhood
Cons
long hours no overtime.
The United States Marine Corps is what you make of it.
M1 Armor Crewman (Former Employee) –  29 Palms, CADecember 21, 2016
A typical day working as M1A1 tank crewman starts off with physical training at 0600 and your day usually ends around 1800. During my time in the Marine Corps I learned how to be accountable for myself and others as well as what it takes to be a leader. Its a brotherhood so everyone looks out for one another. The hardest part was being away from your family for long amounts of time. The most enjoyable part was looking back at what you accomplished over time.
Great organization that instills the values needed to become successful in life.
Rifleman (Former Employee) –  Camp Lejeune, NCJanuary 20, 2017
Serving in the Marine Corps provides you with a solid foundation on which the rest of your life can be built upon.

There is no typical day in the Marine Corps, especially in the infantry.
Serving 4 years typically entails at least one deployment, being stationed away from your native home, and numerous months spent in austure conditions.
This forces the individual Marine to develop a requisite mental toughness, adaptability, and the ability to find humor in the most challenging of circumstances.
Pros
Camaraderie with fellow Marines, opportunity to train with various weapons systems, exposure to different cultures, and federal benefits.
Cons
None.
Thrilling, Life Changing
Lance Corporal (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCDecember 29, 2016
Being in the Marine Corps changed my life for the better. The brotherhood and team work associated with this organization is something that I will carry with me and use in future occupations.

My "co-workers", or as I would say my brothers, were unbelievable they would do anything for you and I would do the same for them.

Leadership was always looking out for your best interest and always wanted to see you succeed.

The hardest part of my job was the long hours, hard training exercises and the mental problem solving for certain situations I was put in. But those are also the most rewarding things about my job.
I would recommend to almost anyone.
Marine Air Ground Task Force Planning Specialist (Current Employee) –  Beaufort, SCDecember 20, 2016
Structured, everyone has a place and a job to do.
I've learned a lot about myself since being in the Marine Corps.
My leaders have mostly been people I get along with, and most care a lot for my well being, and all make sure that I'm taken care of.
Other Marines are the best part of the Marine Corps, they are what make you want to stay.
Hardest part of being a Marine for me is moral values not aligning.
Most enjoyable part of the job is the brotherhood and community.
Pros
Benefits! You don't really pay for anything (housing, food, healthcare ect.)
Cons
Some chow halls really suck, but that's okay because you don't have to eat there. Occasional low morale sucks a lot.
The Hardest Part Of My Job
E-7 - Senior-level First-Line Manager/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VADecember 25, 2016
I'm a United States Marine that is stationed aboard a naval ship. I acted as a liaison between the Marines and Navy. The hardest part of my job is getting the Marines that come aboard my ship to work with the Sailors that are station or assigned to the ship. The same can be said for the Sailors to work with the Marines that come aboard too. The biggest issue is communication that will be with any business. The lack of communication leads to confusion and my job is to act as a buffer between Marines and Navy. I get them talking and things get done. That simple.
Pros
Small Community
Cons
Long Deployments
Its not for everyone
LEAD INTERNAL CONTROL AUDITOR (Former Employee) –  Kaneohe, HIDecember 27, 2016
Enlisting means more to some than others. Before enlisting, watch any war movie, and put yourself in that situation. I'm not saying everyone fights the good fight, but id like people to understand that the military isn't just a job, its a lifestyle. If spending a week or two away from your friends and family seems like a long time, it isnt the job for you. Ive lost friends, family, and lovers to the job, and I do not regret a minuiet of it. I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat. I love the Marine Corps with all of my heart and I know I can die proud that I have done my part in making this world a better place for my son.
Pros
paid leave
Cons
its a popularity contest, as long as people like you, you can get away with anything.
Good Kickstart
Logistics Embarkation Specialist - Corporal (Current Employee) –  Marietta, GAJanuary 1, 2017
Joining the Marine Corps Reserve right out of high school has given me the drive and discipline that has helped me out in many facets of life. Marines get to do many events that civilians mostly likely will not have the chance of doing. Such as machine gun ranges and the Marine Corps Ball. Overall the Marine Corps is an organization that will give a great kick start for the rest of your life.
Pros
steady pay, free lunch
Cons
co-workers, conditions
I enjoy my job and will miss it when i'm out.
Generator Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Oceanside, CAJanuary 2, 2017
We work on generators and provide power to a regiment, I work with electricity so I learned a lot about how to be safe when installing equipment and teaching newer marines information that isn't taught in the school house. My co-workers are dedicated easy going and reliable to complete tasks. The hardest part of my job was and always will be leaving my family for months on end to deploy to foreign country's. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the world and providing a good life for my family especially my kids.
Pros
Meeting new people from all parts of the country.
Cons
Not knowing if you will or when you will be promoted.
long stressful days with little pay
Aviation Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Camp Pendleton, CA / MCBH Kaneohe Bay, HIJanuary 3, 2017
A typical work day started at 0530 and went until 1700. Most days there were mandatory workouts prior to work. My day started at 0330 and many times did not end until approximately 1800-1830 once I had eaten. During the day, operations tempo for the flight schedule was busy with launches, routine/ scheduled maintenance, and discrepancy/ troubleshooting maintenance. My role, as a Sergeant, was to supervise the maintenance and conduct inspections to ensure compliance with Naval Aviation standards and regulations.
You are responsible for your success.
Enterprise Ground Equipment Inventory Manager (Current Employee) –  Albany, GAJanuary 14, 2017
The United States Marine Corps is not only a career; it is a way of life. You need to consider yourself readily available 24 hours a day. Every day is different from the first. The training is extreme and the educational benefits are awarded for great work ethics. The best part of the Marine Corps is the travel and change of work locations. You will never have time to become complacent.
Pros
Medical and dental benefits
Cons
Standing 24 hour duties after a full work day.
Great career for new experiences and culture changes
Aircraft Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJanuary 5, 2017
I would do routine and specific case maintenance on a CH-53 E helicopter. Usually I did any metal fab and composite material repairs. As well as changing the tires and windows and doing any kind of required maintenance of the hydraulic systems. I used all manor of fork lifts and tow tractors along with high powered genys and a crane to perform different jobs on this aircraft.
Pros
opportunity to fly and be part of a great team
Cons
going to war
United States Marine Corps
Motor Transport Operator/Housing Billeting Manager (Former Employee) –  Camp Pendleton, CAJanuary 8, 2017
The United States Marine Corps offers many opportunities within its sector, from schooling, many varieties of training, chances to work in different areas of expertise, a chance to learn and grow independently. Creates camaraderie within team members and the unit as a whole. The work readiness is always a priority as are the Marines themselves. Depending on the leadership defines what type of camaraderie a unit will have good or bad. Instills leadership qualities and discipline along with a strong work ethic and much more.
Pros
Leadership qualities, learning from senior leaders
Cons
Late Hours, low pay, selfishness from higher leaders
Great training facilities, fulfilling work, long hours
Infantry Rifleman (Former Employee) –  Twentynine Palms, CAJanuary 10, 2017
Infantry rifleman rotate between deploying and training for deployments. While I was stationed here we spent 9 months training for a deployment to Afghanistan that was supposed to be up to 7 months long. The deployments was cut short because of orders to reduce the number of troops deployed so we were only there for 3 months. After returning stateside we had a short period of time of and then began training for the next deployment.
Pros
Fulfilling work, great training facilities
Cons
Very little time off, not very much to do in the area when you were off
Highly productive and fast paced business
Corporal (Non Commissioned Officer in Charge) (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJanuary 11, 2017
My job was incredibly fast paced and on the job learning occurred frequently. The people were all hard working and competent and could manage the position with or without supervision. The hardest part would be the incredibly short time lines we were given to produce certain reports last minute with no knowledge of anyone wanting them. My co-workers were the reason the job was enjoyable.
Pros
Being in charge
Cons
Long hours, fluctuating schedule, Adjusting to new crews, Constant change of personnel.
Positive results
POWERPLANT AND DRIVETRAIN MECHANIC (Former Employee) –  Camp Pendleton, CAJanuary 12, 2017
Pros
Positive work culture
Cons
Long hours and frequent relocation
purposeful and amazing organization.
0431 Embarkation and logistics specialist (Former Employee) –  Camp Pendleton South, CAJanuary 15, 2017
A typical day at work would consist of calling different parts of my unit, or different places at Camp Pendleton

I learned how to organize even more effectively and how to utilize my computer skills better

Management was interesting because it was compromised of so many potential different people

They were really my brothers and sisters in arms more than my coworkers but I digress; It was amazing experiencing so many different things from so many different people
Pros
Benefits, camaraderie, purpose and satisfaction
Cons
Field day
Great work place, horrible management
Motor Vehicle Operator (Former Employee) –  Camp Pendleton, CAJanuary 17, 2017
Usually go into work around 8am and would work until 4:30pm unless there was a lot to do. I learned how to drive heavy vehicles, load, unload and secure cargo. How to back up trailers and keep accountability of company equipment. The bond I had with my co-workers you can say was like a brotherhood. The hardest part about my job was being away from family all the time and going on long deployments. The most enjoyable part about this job was the time off we would get and the bond and camaraderie that would be formed with my co-workers.
Pros
No formation in the shop, usually off work by 4:30pm
Cons
field ops, company formations
Draining but Rewarding.
Infantry Squad Leader (Former Employee) –  Camp Lejeune, NCJanuary 16, 2017
A poor work environment for people who enjoy strong executive level leadership. Hard to get your voice heard for the betterment of your subordinates and your career.
However, adversity made the job more and more worth it as I learned new skills under pressure. This helped me pick them up, and make good friends in my work environment.
Pros
Challenge, Comradeship, Discipline, Patience
Cons
Poor leadership, Favoritism, Softening of standards
Was a great work place where I meet many different people
Rifleman/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Camp Lejeune, NCDecember 21, 2016
Hard working environment where everyone had to come together as a team. Had great benefits and job security. Always tried to better myself not just physically, but mentally and emotionally as well. Learning to work with many different kinds of people makes it easier to work with literally anyone. So the job can keep moving forward and not get stopped do to miscommunication.
Pros
Brotherhood, benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Marine Corps. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4