U.S. Marine Corps Employee Reviews

Found 12,116 reviews matching the search
Great place to learn technical skills
Intermediate Level Aircraft Structures Mechanic (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 10, 2016
Great training that will enable you to perform various types of repairs on the aircraft in the US Marine Corps fleet.

Management can sometimes be a lacking quality depending on the command environment, but generally everyone is motivated and works as a team.

Hardest part of the job is dealing with outside training requirements that have nothing to do with your primary job ie: running PFT/CFT, qualifying on the rifle, etc.
Job security, but you are a number not a person
Operations and Training Chief (Former Employee) –  Camp Pendleton, CANovember 22, 2016
I loved the Marine Corps and everything it was supposed to stand for, until I found out that it didn't actually stand for anything it was famous for.

I learned the hard way that I was a number that could easily be replaced after 8 years of trouble free service. While watching chance after chance be given to drug pops and DUI receivers, I was booted without a second glance when I refused to take orders to the Drill Field because I had a 10 month old baby.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Zero care given to members family responsibilities
Grueling but Full of Opportunity
Aviation Life Support Systems Technician (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 17, 2016
I have loved my experience serving in the Marines. It is difficult and deployments are hard on family life, but The Corps has given me a lot and I am greatly for the chance to have served. It is not for everyone. I believe that as with any opportunity, the Marine Corps is what you make of it. If you are a go getter, then you are going to do great things. If you are someone who needs to be dragged along, you will be dragged along, but you will not achieve anything worth while. You can do anything you want, but in the Corps you can be more.
Pros
Benefits, Travel, Military
Cons
Deployements
The Marine Corps
Imagery/Geospatial Analysis (Former Employee) –  globalNovember 17, 2016
It is a typical Marine day! I choose the life to pursue in the corps. It was not easy on me or my family but it was the best decision I did for myself, family and country. I gained a global perspective beyond my neighborhood and usually surroundings. I understand management responsibilities and am aware of the role I play in shaping those around me and not just their influence or lack there of.
Pros
(nothing is without a cost)pay and benefits, impacts your perspectives and can be positive or negative based on your fortitude
Cons
work/life balance at times
Avionics Technician
Avionics Technician (Former Employee) –  Miramar, CANovember 16, 2016
As an Avionics Technician I was responsible for performing maintenance on Communication systems, Navigational systems, Fuel systems, Auto Pilot systems for the CH53 E helicopter.

To keep the CH53E helicopters up and running it took good communication between the whole squadron, also how to use strict guidelines for maintenance.

In the military responsibilities are done by rank.

The hardest part of the job. We had to work long hours to make sure the helicopters were operational.

The best part of the job was the comradery between the Marines.
Pros
Work Experience
Cons
Best branch in the military
Air Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  Beaufort, SCNovember 21, 2016
Our days were surprisingly standard. Wake-up, PT, go to work, if you have an extra military function to do afterward then do it, and finally the rest of the day was however you saw fit.
I learned a lot core values through my time in the military and still hold onto them today.
Anyone of a higher rank earned it and the respect that comes with it. Everybody was very professional yet approachable.
The hardest part was the beginning but you get used to the life style very quickly.
Enjoyed everything the Marine Corps had to offer.
na
Infantry, Team Leader, Vehicle Commander (Former Employee) –  Camp Lejeune, NCNovember 25, 2016
Laughable to start; I did not enjoy my time in the branch of service though I do feel it was necessary to serve for my country. However the lack of overall training between infantrymen and other members of the military set to be support is highly controversial. The expenses do not justify the support given to the Marine Corps troops in comparison with other branches. No bonuses as in other branches for initial signing due to the idea of a higher achievement, This will quickly be learned that this is not the case. Maybe in the 60's-80's there was a sense of pride but our military today is a joke, at best. Thank all for our supply of ships, nukes, and planes as that is our rock and shield.
Proffesional High Speed Unpredictable Environment
All Source Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pearl Harbor Naval Station, HINovember 8, 2016
Day to day work varied, however no matter what the task was, the expectation of giving 150% effort and producing a quality product ahead of schedule was always at the forefront. The most difficult part of the job was never knowing when you would have more personnel to fill gaps in the office. The most enjoyable part of the job was being a part of a cohesive focused unit of highly trained individuals who cared about their work.
Pros
Intense, fast paced environment
Cons
Job 1st, family 2nd
High Tempo and High Stress Environment
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCNovember 11, 2016
Managed a crew of 15-20 workers on any given day. Was responsible for delegating tasks and ensuring 100% accomplishment while verifying and enacting quality control measures. Relayed continuous status report to direct and indirect supervisors while accurate records and logs to document each day's accomplishments. I was able to instill discipline and create a high level of morale in my subordinates. Was successful in creating a team oriented atmosphere were workers could rely on one another.
Pros
Pride of the job and the highly skilled individuals i worked with
Cons
Long hours and high stress and tempo
Very productive and motivated battalion
Intelligence Specialist (Current Employee) –  Camp Lejeune, NCNovember 15, 2016
A typical day at work is relaxing for the most part. Physical training from 6am to 7am. The work day begins at 8am. Since I have picked up more rank my main role is to supervise the creation and dissemination of intelligence products. Products include weekly intelligence brief, weekly intelligence flyer, and maps. Another responsibility that I have is to assist Marines with concerns about their security clearance. The most enjoyable part of my job is training my junior Marines.
Pros
Constant training to futher my analysis skills.
Cons
Usually required to work during major holidays.
Military
Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Parris Island, SCNovember 14, 2016
Whether you serve as enlisted or officer, as a Marine you will make more than a living—you will make a difference. You will protect our nation from a spectrum of threats, as well as conduct and participate in humanitarian efforts around the world. You will also gain a new sense of purpose and pride that comes from making a positive difference. There are countless career opportunities within the Corps that provide the training and experience needed for a successful and rewarding career in the Corps and beyond.
Great start!
Avionics Technician (Former Employee) –  Beaufort, SCNovember 21, 2016
Where do I start? After 35 years I still stay in touch with friends. I worked on the best aircraft know to man. I was trusted and given a high security clearance. The USMC taught me to never be late, be accountable for my actions! Thats a big one, I was promoted by a later boss for telling the truth about a mistake. He was shocked that I did not try and hide it or make excuses. Add the travel and serving was well worth the work.
Pros
training and travel
Cons
people shooting at you
Moving and productive.
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  United StatesNovember 22, 2016
Come in at 0730 to start the day off. In the morning you set up for what you have to do in the morning. You take lunch at 1100 or 1200 for an hour. One of the things that i learned from working in an administrative office was time management. Working with others to get the mission accomplished was great since everyone had a job in what we were doing. What made things a bit difficult was trying to keep track of the leaders since they had to review everything we created, as in documents that had to be passed up. What i enjoyed the most about working was how close everyone worked together to get the mission accomplished.
Pros
Days off when sick w/pay
Cons
Could not get off until the job was done
great place to learn leadership and strong work ethic
Lance Corporal (Former Employee) –  honolulu hawaiiNovember 22, 2016
The Armed services are a great place to go, as long as you pick the right job for you and know how to do what your told, I loved the Marine Corps. I maid friends i will never forget and many of whom are still in contact with me and would fly out at the drop of a hat if i am in need of help, I was infantry so I did deploy alot but always came home with a new aprestiation for what our contry is and stands for.
Pros
one majore pro is, the GI billl that gives you the ability to go to school when you get out and get a degree.
Cons
one is you can work long days some time with no weekends off
A very productive environment
Avionics Technician (Former Employee) –  Kāne‘ohe Bay, HINovember 23, 2016
Everyday is a long and hard working adventure. We go from fixing aircraft, to being physically fit, to mentoring junior marines and to getting the job done; whatever it may be. Had great co-workers who were trying to learn and progress as an Avionics Technician. Had great leaders who taught me everything I know today about fixing a helicopter. I enjoy fixing things and this job helped me find that out.
Pros
Competition, learn to problem solve, team work
Cons
Long hours, mentally exhausting, tough work
A demanding but awarding place for hard workers.
Radio Operator Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Camp Lejeune, NCNovember 24, 2016
A job where there is no working hours and you would work until the day's work is done. You get skills like leadership and discipline to be a better person. But with all the struggle and hard times that the military comes with, you can go to sleep soundly knowing that you are making a difference for the world.
Pros
Medical, a place to live, and meeting different people.
Cons
None scheduled working hours, working other jobs other than the one you were trained for, being away from the ones you grew up with and love.
Best job I've EVER had.
Infantry Machine Gunner (Former Employee) –  Camp Pendleton, CADecember 8, 2016
The Marine Corps. infantry is hard to explain, at time you'll absolutely loath and hate what you are doing but in time you'll learn it builds fortitude and character. You'll be pushed to limits you never knew you had and beyond that.

As for advancement, there is advancement as long as you are willing to work for it and you're hungry for it.

The comradery between Marines is unworldly and you'll only understand when you earn the title Marine.
Pros
Room and Board included. Free meals. Free equipment. Fully paid for medical, dental and vision.
Cons
Long hours.
You get what you put into it
Infantryman (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVNovember 16, 2016
Everyday was different in the military. Some days we had non-stop training exercises. The next could be cleaning everything! There's a strict sense of structure and regime. Orders are handed down from superiors and the platoon carries out those orders. Lots of physical work to be done and you have to just do what your told. But the best colleges you'll ever know.
Pros
Keeps you physically fit. Meals provided
Cons
Strict rules and always have to be working
Very rewarding career
Electrician/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Camp Lejeune, NCNovember 3, 2016
When it comes to joining the Marine Corps, it was the best decision I could have made. I am coming up on my 4-years now and would recommend enlisting in this branch of service to anyone. Its been an amazing ride that is full of ups and downs, but in the end is definitely worth it. Be prepared for a lot of hard work, fun times, and the meeting of great friends.
Pros
Free food, living, benfits, guaranteed paycheck
Cons
being told what to do, under contract, not as many freedoms as civilian life
Fast paced, intense, stressful yet exciting environment
Environmental Hazardous Waste Handler Lead (Current Employee) –  Camp Pendleton, CANovember 2, 2016
A typical day is a 12 hour shift full of maintenance and running around. I learned a significant amount of information regards to electronics and aviation equipment. You end up being micromanaged a lot of the time. Your co-workers are essentially your brothers and sisters who have your back. The hardest part of the job is Boot Camp. The most enjoyable part of this job is the life lessons and experiences it gives you to use later on in life.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Marine Corps. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4