U.S. Marine Corps Employee Reviews

Fun easy and relaxed work environment
Residential Assistant (Former Employee) –  VirginiaOctober 18, 2017
Worked directly with the Marines living on base. In charge of staffing three rooms in the recreation center, video game room, library/movie room, and the office in which people could rent movies laptops and other electronics out of for a short period of time.
Squad leader
Marine Infantry Squad Leader (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaOctober 18, 2017
On a daily basis, I would make sure my marines in the squad were present to the daily training activities that we had to accomplish. I also Led multiple classes and learning scenarios to the new and younger marines.
Pros
Fixed income
tip of the spear
Ordnanceman (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCOctober 18, 2017
Just go and do it. Do not sit around and wonder what if. Time will not stop and your odds of growing into a more rounded individual will be lowered to zero.
Marine Corps
Basic Training Instructor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 17, 2017
Hardest training to enter worst of the branches once your in. Wouldn't want it any other way. We are the few and the proud, usually. Don't let the scumbags bring you down. You are the creator of your own path based off your actions here.
Pros
Medical, lodging, Ta
Cons
occasional bad leadership
Usmc
Sergeant (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 17, 2017
Was a great place to work but after many deployments I wanted to return to my college education. If you are single and want to improve the quality of your life then you should join.
A select few
Assistant Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Camp Pendleton, CAOctober 17, 2017
-A typical day starts around 0530 and is mission based ending anywhere from 4:30pm to 8:30pm. Most weekends are off for the general population.

-Daily physical fitness is mandatory for all personnel. Some of it is individual and other times as a group. You are required to pass a fitness test twice a year.

-There is room for promotion to a supervisory/management role based on monthly evaluations & merit.

-With promotion comes increased pay.

-Comradery, Teamwork, Unity, Esprit de Corps is all built and fostered within the workforce.

-The biggest challenge is the constant change of environment and the time spent away from family.

-The most enjoyable part of the job is the tight-knit community and the cultural diversity.
Pros
Free medical, dental, vision
Cons
long hours and fast paced environment
Great military, horrible leaders
AMPHIBIOUS ASSAULT VEHICLE CREWMAN (Former Employee) –  Camp Pendleton, CAOctober 17, 2017
A typical day at work for me during my last year as active duty consisted of 14+ hours work days and ridiculous amount of physical training. Huge lack of leadership and marine welfare.
U.S Marines
CH53 Echo Flightline Mechanic (Current Employee) –  MCBH Kaneohe Bay, HIOctober 17, 2017
During my time in the Marines, I have learned to engage with people from all over the United States with different backgrounds different views and different reasons for joining . You start off be learning that the people to the left and right are not just your coworkers there your brothers. A typical work day can go from 10 to 16 hours and there a 24 hour duty shifts. I was CH53 Echo Helicopter mechanic a very dynamic, fast paced, and high stress environment. The culture of the flight line shop is based off of Marine Corps traditions and ethics. You actions speak louder than words meaning its all about how you preform and complete task each day by doing maintenance by the manuals taking each step very serious. The hardest part is losing someone to an aircraft. I have lost friends in aircraft accidents and unfortunately flying on an aircraft is not a 100 percent safe.
On to the good parts of the job.
Its always enjoyable to do big jobs like overhauling engines, teaching new marines how to change out technical components and understanding maintenance by the publication.
It's the Military
Intelligence Analyst and Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Quantico, VAOctober 17, 2017
The Marine Corps is exactly what you make of it. It's worth every second if you choose to have a positive outlook. The memories and skill sets developed will last a lifetime.
high tempo and rewarding career experience
Officer (Current Employee) –  Camp Pendleton, CAOctober 17, 2017
A typical day begins at 0700 after some physical training. I often engage in meetings with executive leadership, review the plans of the day and week with my staff, and develop a plan to accomplish the tasks for the day / week depending on what resources I have and how much time I have to do it. The hardest part of my job is both talent management because there is a huge demand for Marines with my skill set across our workforce. The most enjoyable part of my job is the satisfaction I get from mentoring and leading Marines.
Pros
Medical, dental, and retirement benefits.
Cons
extremely long work hours, long deployments away from home, sometimes high stress.
Make you a man
Lance Corporal (Former Employee) –  MCRD San Diego, CAOctober 17, 2017
while your state side its all good and fun, normal 8 hour days and weekends usually off... once deployed though thinks change and you are now at work 24/7
Not for Everyone
Aircraft Hydraulic/Pneumatic Mechanic (Former Employee) –  MCAS Miramar, CAOctober 17, 2017
The military life style is great if you want stability for the length of your contract. You get out of it what you put in. The higher you promote the more competitive it is. In the long run if you don't mind long days and being away from home the benefits are worth it.
Usmc
Instructor/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Fort Sill, OKOctober 17, 2017
The Marine Corps was and still is one of the best decisions that I have ever made in my lifetime. Challenging yet rewarding, it was this institution that made me the man I am today.
Marine Corps
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Camp Pendleton, CAOctober 17, 2017
It was difficult, and it is not meant for everyone, however if you think you are strong enough go for it! It can be life changing for many people and was a stepping stone for me.
Learn Leadership
Sargent (Former Employee) –  Camp Pendleton, CAOctober 17, 2017
Typical day would be some physical training in mornings, discuss with fellow marines tasks for the day, and then accomplishing tasks. I learned how to lead.
Sgt
SGT E-5 (Current Employee) –  Camp Pendleton, CAOctober 17, 2017
The Marine Corps is its own culture that is really hard to put into words. It is filled with early morning physical training followed up by long work days. As an air delivery specialist I dealt with life-saving equipment. I packed and inspected personnel parachutes as well as cargo parachutes. We have the capability of dropping cargo loads from an airplane to places where trucks are not able to go. With that being said my job is very detail oriented and even the slightest mistake can cost a life. With that comes a certain level of stress as well as a very high level of disciplined formed. The most enjoyable part about my time in the Marine Corps is the fact that I had the opportunity to go to Airborne School and learn to jump or of airplanes. I have come across some of the greatest leaders in the world in my time in the Marines and have gained valuable leadership skills because of it.
Pros
Healthcare, dental, chowhall, paid leave days
Cons
long work days
Great place to serve your contry
United States Marine (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCOctober 17, 2017
very competitive place to work, will train you on any job you are picked to do. Promotions work fast if some jobs and slower on other jobs. overall if you want to serve your nation this is the best place to do it.
Pros
competitive
Cons
cut-throat
The Marines worth having are the one's that leave
H-1 Helicopter Mechanic (Former Employee) –  MCAS New River, NCOctober 17, 2017
During my time in the Marines ive found that the Marines worth having are the one's that are going to leave first. The senior leadership always have a few individuals that "Drank the Koolaid" and tend to make the whole experience miserable. The leadership claims to care about your individual needs and well being all the while waiting to punish and "burn" you every opportunity they get. Benefits are given to the individuals that get married and have children, this is their main source of retention,"Juvenile life choices". a married Pvt(<1yr) can make the same yearly income as a Sgt(4-8yrs).
Pros
Benefits, Paid Leave
Cons
Leadership, Morale, Cutthroat
Great life changing experiences
Gun Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Camp Lejeune, NCOctober 16, 2017
Lead my team of Marines through various training episodes, conducted various checks of my Marines to include making sure uniform standards were met, maintaining fitness standards, and making sure they knew how to execute the job at hand to the best of their ability.
Pros
Commeradre
Cons
Home life is very sparse
Love
Machine Gunner (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 16, 2017
I loved being in the Marine Corp. I learned a lot there. It changes you helps you become a stronger person but you don't make enough money to provide for your family and insurance is horrible. We need to fix this for our Veterans and those serving now plus their families. They deserve better.