U.S. Marine Corps Employee Reviews

Found 11,676 reviews matching the search
Great to serve with the right perspective...
Flight Equipment Division Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 26, 2015
The Marine Corps has a legacy of tradition and camaraderie in both peace and war. Most applicants do not know most of the intricate details of their MOS is until they finish their MOS school (after boot camp) and enter the fleet. When in the fleet, there are often times where the personnel do match the quantity of workload. If you have a lot of personal drive, patience, work ethic, and an ability to see the larger picture of the overall mission you are part of, there are great rewards for military service. It does take a lot of personal accountability and re-evaluation of priorities throughout your service. These things are often not done, especially at the junior level. However, with proper perspective, planning throughout a career and steady dedication to your role in the mission will prove to yield great results.
Pros
Great benefits, business travel (tax free in certain areas), clearly defined promotion paths, strong sense of purpose.
Cons
Longer hours than expected (depending on MOS), 24 duty days, deployment schedule may effect homelife.
Marine Corps life
Loadmaster/Crewmaster Instructor-Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Cherry Point, NCSeptember 6, 2016
There are few who have chosen to join the Marine Corps and few who could understand the culture of the Marine Corps. I worked with the best people from around the world in locations all over the world. There was no typical day, each day presented a new set of challenges and good Marines rose to these challenges every day of their career. The hardest part of the job is being separated from your loved ones for months out of the year and ironically the best part of the job is the travel. Being able to go places that few will ever see and interact with cultures and people that few will ever meet.
Pros
great travel and people
Cons
too much time away from home and family
Civilian worker learned a lesson
Trainer (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLAugust 17, 2016
I loved working with the Marines that I had the opportunity to interact with. The federal government provides an excellent benefits package and a positive work/life balance. My lower rating comes from the lack of professionalism and the lack of maturity of my civilian supervisor. I felt no job security when this person could throw a temper-tantrum over the smallest issue that could affect my position. If you are lucky enough to be a GS employee, maybe you will have a different experience, but I have my doubts that government work is the way to go when they allow such unprofessional behavior among their civilian employees and supervisors.
Benefits
Cons
Unprofessional
Very productive, and high demanding work place with high responsibilities
Motor Transportation Operator (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCSeptember 2, 2016
Daily physical fitness
accountability of personnel, and equipment
informing personnel of daily tasks, and missions for support
communication with higher ranks, and officers
keeping all co-workers informed of changes and new training-classes
difficult parts of the job were not knowing when you could go home
best part of the Marine Corps is the people you work with, the ones your in charge of and the people with in your ranks. Making once in a life time memories.
Pros
The fast pace, and the amazing things i got to do and people i met.
Cons
working from 9 hours to 24 hours or more. not knowing when you get to go home.
Leadership
Assistant Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Camp Pendleton, CAJuly 12, 2016
In my short eight years in the Marine Corps I have learned invaluable lessons on leadership. Leadership cannot be taught in a classroom, it was forged out of the opportunities that were afforded to me and the drive to do better by myself and for the people around me. Having 40 employees as a 20 year old was just another day for young NCOs in charge. From a young age you are pushed into a leadership role that will bring you our of your comfort zone but in the long run will benefit you for your future with the Marine Corps or any situation you might find yourself in a leadership position.
Pros
Benifits, pay, education opportunities, special skills taught, people i work with, leaders, travel
Cons
hurry up and wait, irregular hours, leaders
Fun place
Switchboard Operator and Maintainer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCFebruary 28, 2016
The Marine corps is full of hard work and comradery. Long hours and hardly any compensation. If you want to be overworked and undercompensated, this is for you
Pros
Steady Paycheck
Cons
Long Hours and Short Breaks
Very satisfied.
Administrative Specialist Associate (Former Employee) –  Cherry Point, NCJuly 19, 2016
Enjoyed my time in the Service, joined at a young age. A normal day included waking up at 5:20am for the routine exercise. Then my co-workers and I would eat a hardy meal then proceed to work from 8:00am to 5pm. I learned an invaluable amount of customer service skills, public relations, documentation, and the ability to handle work of secret matters. Ones that invariably required a secret clearance. I enjoyed the comradery, the close tight knit bond you form with one another and the pure enjoyment of everyday work.
Pros
Taught/forced hard work ethic, taught customer service skills, and a laundry list of others.
Cons
Management was sometimes too much for the job and didnt listen to the fellow co-workers.
Fast paced work place
Supply warehouse clerk (Former Employee) –  Camp Lejeune, NCJuly 26, 2016
A typical day at work is 6:00 AM I make sure every one is at work and accounted for. then go through double check if everything is prepared for the work day. conduct daily inventory of the warehouse. there are daily appointments for shipping and receiving. I learned a lot with my time spent in the Marine Corps as far as taking pride in my work, being dedicated and working hard also being able to follow rules and regulations as well as leading the workers I am in charge of. I believe that there is no hard part every job has its ups and downs but in the end all the task will be completed. the most enjoyable part of my job is being able to lead and have people look up to me as there supervisor.
Demanding work environment, but very rewarding
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cherry Point, NCAugust 16, 2016
A typical day in the United States Marine Corps varies wildly, from work days spent doing administrative tasks on base, to high stress training events and overseas deployments. From the Marine Corps I learned valuable life skills on a near-daily basis in the form of difficult, character-building tests of oneself. My co-workers and I were much closer than you will find in any civilian occupation, there was always a very close-knit work environment. The hardest parts of the job were the most enjoyable, the unique challenges you face as a Marine give a strong sense of accomplishment.
Benefits
Cons
Highly stressful and hazardous.
Great experience
Amphibious Assault Vehicle Crewman (Former Employee) –  Camp Lejeune, NCSeptember 10, 2016
Dealt with a diverse group of people, counseled, supervised, and trained my co-workers on specific tasks that had to get to the vehicle for operational readiness, with strict deadlines. Having to constantly and consistently do pre-operational checks and make sure everything safe for the crew to operate and for the passengers riding in back are safe as well, after providing them with a safety brief. Toughest part was when a problem occurred out in the middle of the ocean and having to troubleshoot and solve the problem within a 10 minute window. Most enjoyable was operating the vehicle and maneuvering through all kinds of terrain.
Fast Paced
Bulk Fuel Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 8, 2016
You're raised by an entirely new set of people from the ground up. You're always given something to do and if you have nothing you find something; you're always working. This is an institution where everyone is a leader, no matter how high. Just like everywhere else you're exposed to people of both good and bad. The thing about the Marine Corps is everyone thinks they're the best. It takes time to be humble but it's also not a bad mindset to have in some applications. It gives a person confidence. The hardest part about the job is just making it through the day. There is no task that can't be accomplished, its just mentally rigorous, since you're always on the job. Being a reservist, having time for myself to look for work is the most enjoyable part, with experience also being very important, not only for my own personal benefit but it's great experience to put on a resume; to be able to say US Marine Corps.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Mentally Rigorous
Exciting and fast pace environment that challenged abilities and leadership qualities on a daily basis.
Recruiter/Sales Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLJune 27, 2016
- Fast pace days with long hours. Always work the mission and not the clock. Day wasn't complete until that daily mission was complete.
- Associated with all types of people. Cold calling, interviews, and canvassing the local schools and establishments.
- Reported daily to command on the daily progress on office production.
- Hardest part of the job were the indecisiveness of individuals.
- Most enjoyable part of the job was helping young men and women change their lives for the better. Responsible with helping to start their careers.
- Co-workers were diverse and always had great ideas.
Pros
Well known in the community and develop great networking relationships.
Cons
Rude people
Usmc
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Twentynine Palms, CAJuly 15, 2016
To be in the Marine Corp it is a must to love it. Some people join the USMC for the financial benefits and that is when they have a hard time in their enlistment. That been said, not everyone that wears the uniform is a Marine.
Nonetheless, I love the Corp. A typical day consisted of waking up at 0500 hours and PT (work out), then off to my job. I was an armorer and my duties involved maintenance, accountability, repair, supply and demand, and schedule maintenance and files among other responsibilities. Then after an 8-10 hour shift, we would be released into "liberty" (we were off work), and could go back to the barracks and continue the personal day.
The "higher ups" (high ranking Marines- management) were helpful, strict and fair.
The hardest part of the job was the sacrifices we made, like being away from family, friends, missing holidays, and family events.
Pros
The personal growth and development throughout the enlistment.
Cons
The endless sacrifices that we made on a daily basis.
great job, requires alot of skill and knowlege
Corporal Team Leader, Squad Leader (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJune 25, 2016
typical day at work would be showing up at 4 am to Pt followed by that classes and practical application. lunch then more classes to harness you combat skills.work would get out 5 to 5 pm depending on how much work the CO has. during a deployment wake up Pt and constant harnessing of your combat skills. i learned how to manage stress how team work is the most important thing for a successful business. other co workers were great for the majority, some of your subordinates come from different walks of life and require more one on one guidance. the hardest part of my job was being away from my wife and kids for months on end. most enjoyable part was the people i worked with and doing my job.
Pros
free healthcare, job stablity
Cons
long deployments
Usmc
Officer (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaMarch 26, 2016
Overall, the USMC is a great experience. It teaches you a lot. The pay is good and you have off every federal holiday, which is nice. However, often it's not worth it because of the amount of time you spend at work when it's not a holiday. For example, often a day is 14hrs. In addition, it can be very stressful and dealing with the politics and personalities can be frustrating at times.
Pros
Time off/well-compensated
Cons
When working it's all about the MC, families come after
Great benefits, travel, quality of life less than desired
Combat Photographer (Former Employee) –  Camp Lejeune, NCSeptember 7, 2016
Working for the Marines as a combat photographer provided me real world experience and exposure to a wide range of cultures and socio-economic status'. I learned leadership, respect, bearing, tact, how to stay fit, as well as how to take and give direction. A typical day at work was waking up at 4:30am to workout, then be at work by 7:30am. During work hours I might be in a photo studio, at a ceremony, training exercise or investigation to provide photo coverage. I typically was processing anywhere from 1-5 projects at a time. During deployments the work increased exponentially often with less down time and harsh conditions. My co-workers were a tight knit team and each person's role was essential to the success of our mission. The hardest part of the job was providing top-notch products with not so top-notch equipment. The most enjoyable part of the job was the variety of events I was able to cover and my co-workers.
Pros
great benefits, travel.
Cons
quality of life
A great experience
Identity Intelligence Chief (Current Employee) –  Quantico, VANovember 3, 2015
A typical day at work starts at 5 in the morning getting ready to work out and do physical training with Marines. After the physical training that taught the Marines how to work as a team we would get ready for the work day. As an intelligence Marine we would have to stay up to date on every day current events so that we can keep the Commanding Officer up to date on what is happening in the world. With this job there are very long work days building products and researching events. This teaches us discipline because when you see a higher rank buckling down to get work done the younger Marines stay motivated to finish the work that needs to be done so that we can save lives. The hardest part of the job would have to be the long hours and deployments away from family. The most enjoyable part of the job would be the amazing experiences that come along with the long hours and the amazing people you come into contact with.
Pros
Job Security, health insurance
Cons
Well over 40hr work weeks
Extremely Valuable Experiance
Aircraft Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Cherry Point, NCJune 23, 2016
Being able to serve my country and to learn a skill that is directly transferable to the civilian world, was an awesome opportunity. I repaired on the day to day basis Huey and Cobra helicopters. Duties included airframe, hydraulics, flight controls, corrosion control, and composite material repairs. I worked with the most devoted, hard working, non-replaceable men and women of the armed forces. Hardest part of the job was when the Marine Corps became so political, as the draw-down came into affect, that I had to leave the Marines for a career less political. The most enjoyable part of my day to day life in the Marines, was the relationships i made between service members, and knowing that a few hours earlier an aircraft could not fly till after I worked on it and then a few hours later, the aircraft was flying.
Pros
Travel, education, chances for advancement
Cons
Became too political
Great job wonderful people
Motor Transport Operator (Former Employee) –  Camp Lejeune, NCSeptember 9, 2016
A typical day at work would be maintaining readiness for vehicles, transporting marines, equipment, and or food. I learned basic upkeeps of military vehicles. Even though I wasn't a manager, I did however supervise jr marines and showed them the skills they needed to be a great marine. My co workers and I got along just fine on and off base. We were more like a real family instead of just "a band of brothers". The hardest part of the job was staying busy. The most enjoyable part of the job was driving or transporting anything that other marines needed.
Pros
WORKING ALL TIMES OF THE DAY AND NIGHT
Cons
WORKING ALL TIMES OF THE DAY AND NIGHT
Challenging but rewarding experience in the Marine Corps
Field Radio Operator (Current Employee) –  Twentynine Palms, CASeptember 19, 2016
As a Field Radio Operator in the Marine Corps, I am responsible for the communications element in field operations. I'm able to develop my proficiency in the job and as a leader/mentor to subordinates by coordinating efficient training, maintenance, and operation of a variety of communication devices. I receive immense satisfaction when training coworkers to perform the job with little to no supervision in troubleshooting and developing ideas and strategies that benefits the overall mission.
Pros
Job stability, recognition, and feeling of accomplishment.
Cons
Time away from family

4.4