U.S. Navy
10,080 reviews

U.S. Navy United States Employee Reviews

Great Job
ARABIC LINGUIST (Former Employee), Augusta, GAApril 20, 2015
Pros: Educaiton and health benefits
My duties consisted of typical desk work at a DOD agency. I interacted with more than 30 interagency and joint military personnel enhancing my ability to work interactively and to coordinate with different teams working on projects to help the department reach certain goals.
I left this job as the military lifestyle was incompatible with my personality. I like to work creatively, and while the agency itself allowed for such innovation and creativity on projects, the military did not. The military structure was rigid and allowed for little flexibility. I would take the same job again were I able to do so as a civilian.
AN HONOR TO SERVE
Aviation Mechanic (Former Employee), Fallon Naval Air Station, NVApril 20, 2015
Pros: BEING PArt of world history
Cons: lack of family time
DAILY MAINTANCE OF AIRFRAMES STRUCTURE AND HYDRAUIC SYSTEMS.LEARNED TO WORK WELL WITH OTHERS TROUBLESHOOT MECHANICAL PROBLEMS,BEST TRAINED MANAGERS ON THE PLANET.HARDEST PART BEING AWAY FROM FAMILY,BEST PART SERVING THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Great Way to see the World
E-4 AIRCRAFT FUELS SUPERVISOR (Former Employee), Mayport, FLApril 19, 2015
Greatest branch of the armed forces, gives you a chance to see the world and have a great time doing it. Made life long friends.
Aviation Tech
Aviation Electronics Technician (Former Employee), Jacksonville N A S, FLApril 19, 2015
lots of hard work, lots of great people.
too much politics

got to see many different places and experience things many never will.
Challenging, plenty of work for job satisfaction
Aviation Electronics Technician (Former Employee), Oceana, VAApril 19, 2015
Pros: Health care and steady paycheck
Cons: Deployments away from family and friends
Hectic, but organized
Performed scheduled and unscheduled maintenance on jet fighter aircraft
People, Planes, and Programs
Great co-workers with teamwork oriented environment
Lengthy Deployments
Working on and around Aircraft
Its what you make it
Master Helmsman (Former Employee), San Diego, CAApril 19, 2015
I think its not for everyone. It wasnt for me personally, but I know a lot of people who do like the security aspect and benefits.
Enjoyed my time but not the lifestyle
Aircraft Mechanic (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 19, 2015
I gained a lot of good experiences while I served in the military. I decided to get out only because I was tired of always being away from my friends and family.
Fun place to learn life skills and adapt to change quickily
Logistics Specialist-USS Nimitz (Former Employee), West CoastApril 19, 2015
Pros: Great advancement and career goals
Cons: Not family friendly
I loved every minute of working for the US Navy. I learned very important life skills and an amazing trait in Logistics. Management thought me everything I know and helped me advance quickly through the ranks.
Many oppertunities for advancement
Midshipman (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAApril 18, 2015
Midshipman studying and training towards being commissioned into the USN. Lots of hours, very rewarding teamwork, very including environment, multitude of career paths
Not just a job, an adventure.
Machinist Mate 1st class (Former Employee), USS Texas, CGN 39April 18, 2015
Pros: Job of a lifetime.
Cons: A lot of work.
Join the Navy, see the world. I did and it was great. Naval nuclear power program, Experience you carry with you for the rest of your life.
Highly demanding and rewarding work environment providing training and education while working with professionals from diverse backgrounds.
Aviation Ordnanceman First Class (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLApril 18, 2015
Pros: Travel, Job Security, People, Structure, Leadership, Training, Demanding, Education, Diverse Backgrounds, Technology
Cons: Spend a lot of time away from family
I served in the United States Navy for 20 as an Aviation Ordnanceman, working with aircraft computer weapon systems and the handling of military weapons. During this time, the Navy has provided education, management, travel, and promotional opportunities to all its sailors. Traveled to multiple countries and experienced different cultures all the while serving my country. The hardest part of the job was spending time away from family. The most enjoyable part of the job was the team building and relationships, training, and the rewarding accomplishments. I will truly miss my timed served in the United Sates Navy and I encourage all to experience the Navy.
The Military
Lead Supply Warehouse Logistics Specialist (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAApril 18, 2015
Pros: benefits, secure, great feeling for life
Cons: scary situations, stressful choices, last minute moves, stuck in a contract with out any say so on missions.
Has many perks with stability and benefits and the pride and respect you feel for defending your country. You get to meet so many great friends that can become family and possibilities to see many amazing places.
There are very good oppurtuities in the Navy
Floor Supervisor (Current Employee), Santa Rita, GUApril 18, 2015
Serving in the military has a lot of benefits such as continuing your education, learning a new skill, and good compensation. On the other hand there are a lot of sacrifices that must be made on a personal level.
Best Job ever!
Medical Assistant/ Optical Technician (Former Employee), Orlando, FL and IllinoisApril 18, 2015
I was a medic so I didn't have a typical day at work, ever and that is what enjoyed about it.
I worked with a diverse bunch of people from all walks of life and I think that's what made it so great.
I was continually learning new things, not necessarily having to do with medicine/health at all.
Enjoyable job that protects the people and property of the US
Senior Advisor (Current Employee), Chicago, ILApril 17, 2015
Always changing at a moments notice.
I was a first line supervisor that was responsible for 600 plus employees.
Hardest part of the job was not knowing what problem you were going to have to deal with from one of your employees
The most enjoyable part of the job was doing whatever was required to keep my military team mates alive and well.
Travel with the Navy
Management Specialist - Supply Department (Former Employee), USS Coral Sea CV-43April 17, 2015
This was an incredible time period of my life while traveling the world. While being the part of a life long fraternity. The areas of the world I have seen greatly expanded my knowledge of the world and the numerous cultures. While it was one of the more serious jobs I ever had, it was one I probably miss the most.
Submarine lifestyle
Electrician's Mate (Former Employee), Honolulu, Hawaii.April 17, 2015
Pros: See the world.
Cons: Long workdays.
While in port workday starts at 0630 and ends when all work is complete, typically about 10 hrs or so. I learned many things, from low level management, to basic and intermediate electrical maintenance.
My co-workers, superiors, and subordinates were all very knowledgeable and pleasant to work with.
The most difficult part of the job was the long periods away from home, cut off from the outside world.
I enjoyed working with my hands both routine and corrective maintenance.
I learned alot about life really fast in the navy.
Intelligence Analyst / Database Administrator (Former Employee), CTT2April 17, 2015
Pros: easy schedule, fast work enviorment
Cons: office politics
it was a great ride, I had a lot of ups and downs. the schedule was easy, and I was not asked to do anything crazy. promotion rates for me were average.
Strike Fighter Squadron
Maintenance Master Chief Petty Officer (Current Employee), Lemoore Naval Air Station, CAApril 17, 2015
Pros: You're serving our Country and our Navy! There is no better PRO.
Cons: It is sea duty and the hours are long.
This is an exceptional Strike Fighter squadron that is undergoing a very tough period during it's workup cycle in preparation for an upcoming deployment. Despite long work hours and lack of supply support external to the squadron, the Sailors are happy and strive for excellence daily.
The biggest hurdle this squadron has faced is maintaining training and proficiency while trying to rebuild our assigned aircraft following induction and receipt from a Level 3 maintenance action requiring extensive dismantling and inspection of the aircraft airframe and systems. During this several month long period, several modifications were also accomplished by Depot level repair artisans.
Now that we are flying once again, the greatest challenge is maintaining those jets and working out the bugs that come from undergoing a long term inspection cycle.
Awesome experience!
Personnel/Manpower/IT Department Head (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNApril 17, 2015
Pros: I recieved important and useful training and education.
Cons: Lots of relocation was required, posing some inconvenience on my family.
Serving in the US Navy allowed me to achieve a vast amount of knowledge and skill sets that set me up for success in my life after my service was completed.

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Navy

Imagine working with the most awe-inspiring equipment and technology the world has ever seen. Making your living as a rescue swimmer – Read more

U.S. Navy Salaries