U.S. Navy

11.1K reviews

U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

AWESOME
Aviation Machinist Mate first class (Current Employee), norfolk, vaAugust 2, 2015
Great place to start your career and build a better future for yourself and loved ones. Great opportunities for school,
Experiences Onboard the Ship
Boatswain's Mate (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAAugust 2, 2015
Pros: Supplied Food, Comradery, Experiences
Cons: Poor Attitude
A typical day on the ship consisted of breaking down rust spots, priming, painting and general maintenance. During my time on the ship, i learned supervisor skills, paint and preservation, small boat operations, unrep and conrep operations, anchoring operations, and ship handling. Management, it was acceptable. My co-workers were hardworking, and looked out for each other. The hardest part of the job was being forced to go home when a project was almost finished. The most enjoyable part of the job was my co-workers, they made the ship life much more enjoyable.
Great life experiance
Advanced X-Ray Technician and Medical Technician (Former Employee), Corpus ChristiAugust 2, 2015
It was the best thing I ever did with my life. The Navy gave me a free education and let me travel the world. I met some of the best people I will ever meet and had the best life experiences anyone could ever have.
Great friend , comrads, and experiences.
Various Positions, Electronic Warfare (Former Employee), variousAugust 2, 2015
Pros: Comrads
Cons: 6 month deployments and being away from family
Worked in various areas of the US and different locations around the world. Retired after 20 years of service. I could always count on the people around me and there was great upward mobility. I really enjoyed my service.
Military experience
Supervisor/Technician (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLAugust 2, 2015
typical military experience. we worked long hours and i went on 3 deployments. it was a demanding experience but very fulfilling as well
Great adventure
Aviation Store Keeper (Former Employee), san diago, CAAugust 1, 2015
This was a great way to learn job skills and life skills. It set the stage for my future job endeavors. It was an adventure that took me around the world.
U.S. Navy
Aviation Electrician (Former Employee), Oceana, VAAugust 1, 2015
Pros: Navy
Cons: time away
Typical day would be to perform maintenance on aircraft. Complete all work orders and PM that came up during the day. Communicate with pilots about issues the aircraft would have.
Best work experience
Airman (Former Employee), Bremerton, WAAugust 1, 2015
Pros: Experience and short days
Cons: None
To work in the military means to gain many different skills in a short time frame. A typical day at work would be to get up and get started on sanding union on launching gear. We would have to get the flight deck prepared for flight operations which took about an hour or so. When I went to shore duty, I performed plenty of administrative task. I learned how to operate within the postal service. I handled classified materials as well as deliver secret and top secret materials to and from different military offices. I scheduled lessons days and plans for upcoming submariners in the submarine simulator. With the added task of making sure the office ran smoothly for my superiors which included answering phones, scheduling classes, keeping track of files and any other duties given to me by the head engineer.
Diverse, Challenging, Rewarding
Preventive Medicine Technician (Current Employee), Portsmouth, VirginiaAugust 1, 2015
Pros: Fast-paced, Fun, Great benefits
Cons: Away from family
A typical work day would find me at my desk typing up inspections and submitting medical event reports for patients with communicable diseases.

I learned how to stay self-motivated and work productively at my own pace.

My co-workers were a very diverse group but all in all we found a harmony.

The hardest part of the job was being away from home.

The most enjoyable part of the job was a once in a life time experience i was given to swim with seas turtles in the Indian ocean. I never would have had that opportunity without the Navy.
Job can be fun if you look past the jerks you encounter
Hospital Corpsman (Current Employee), El Paso, TXJuly 31, 2015
Pros: Excellent training, great people, sometimes fun
Cons: Repetitive, leadership issues
Overall, working as a Navy Reservist is not a bad gig. You work one weekend out of the month, get paid well for the hours you work and go home to your family at the end of the day.
Fun Work Environment
Building Manager (Current Employee), Mayport Naval Station, FLJuly 31, 2015
Very rewarding and allowed me the hands on experiences I face in real life situations. I also had the opportunity too work with some very dedicated, and motivated people.
Great training, experience, advancement and challenge
Logistics Officer (Current Employee), VariousJuly 31, 2015
Pros: Challenges, training, advancement.
Cons: Deployments, danger, time from family
The US Navy has been a fantastic place to develop a wide and deep logistics skill set with multiple opportunities to exercise those skills around the world in the most challenging environments imaginable.
Perfect for self driven people who desire to make a change in the world.
Preventive Maintenance Technician/Corpsman (Former Employee), Florida/ Japan/ California/ MississippiJuly 31, 2015
Pros: Great benefits, job security, diverse work force
Cons: Occasional requirements to travel, can take some time to appreciate the work culture
A fun and challenging experience that leads to personal growth and a lifetime of confidence. Expect the occasional bit of bureaucracy to slow things down, but as long as you continue to push for something you want to achieve, you have a good possibility of obtaining your goals within the organization.
Loooove
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee), Beaufort, SCJuly 31, 2015
Best place to work. Hospital Corpsman was so much fun. you will for sure learn a lot and have lots of responsibilities. See one, do one, teach one.
Navy life is an amazing life
Aviation Strucural Mechanic, Airframes Technician (Current Employee), Oak Harbor, WAJuly 31, 2015
Structure, routine, diversity. The Navy is a huge melting pot, full of friends and foes alike. No matter the difference in personality, your shipmate will always have your back. Aviation is exciting and every day is different, go out get your hands dirty, fix a jet, and watch her fly beautifully, knowing that you helped make that happen. Insurance for your family, roof over your head, money in your pocket, and plenty opportunity to travel the world. The job is great, and I enjoy it.
Strong teamwork
Construction Mechanic, Second Class Petty Officer (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 30, 2015
Pros: Excellent Benefits
Cons: Deployments
As the Work Center Supervisor I schedule and assign the maintenance of 75 pieces of equipment to 21 junior personnel. I update a daily, weekly, and monthly availability report that I brief to my Commanding Officer.
Its the Navy
Submarine Sailor (Former Employee), GuamJuly 30, 2015
Pros: Once in a lifetime experiences, make lifelong friends
Cons: Power Tripping Leaders!!!
... it's the freaking Navy.
Your experience is different depending obviously on where you are, what your job is, who you're around, and who your leaders are.
Go Navy!
Mess Management Specialist (Former Employee), world wideJuly 30, 2015
The smartest thing I have ever done is to join the Navy! I got to travel all over the world. I lived in Hawaii for 10 years. I never had to worry about money or a place to live and eat. Life was grand. Now I'm retired and enjoy all of my free Navy benefits.
Great Experience
Petty Officer (Former Employee), San Antonio, Tx and San Diego, CaJuly 30, 2015
Overall... Great! I miss it!
First tour was in San Antonio, Tx. Typical 8 to 5 job. Land duty is the best time to get some schooling done.
Second tour was on a ship out of San Diego, Ca. Hours varied.
Of course, deployments put a strain on family. The Navy has many programs to emotionally support family members during these times.
Benefits are all great. Jobs Security is great.
Management can be good or bad. Some people may have been advanced because of the time they have been in and they will have no supervisor skills. Or you may have natural born leader or someone who has taken the time to acquire those skills.
Job culture overall is good. I am proud to be a veteran, to have served in the Navy!
To be honest, all aspects depend on type of job (rate) and duty station. I would recommend the Navy!
Challenging and Productive
Submarine Nuclear Power Supervisor / LELT (Current Employee), Silverdale, WAJuly 30, 2015
As a nuclear operator on a submarine, life is surreal, demanding, and challenging. Balance is difficult and the job provides little opportunity for mistakes. The outcome initially is exhaustion, but long term these conditions bring one out of their comfort zone and grows a person beyond normal expectations.
Headquarters