U.S. Navy Employee Reviews in United States

Found 13,932 reviews matching the search
Productive Supervisor, manages well oiled team
Quartermaster (Former Employee) –  Yokosuka, Japan and Mayport, FLMarch 28, 2016
A typical day in the military consists of starting work at 7am and ending around 5pm. Consisted of managing junior sailors, completing daily tasks which consist of preservation, maintenance, and supervising in completing navigational tasks. The hardest part was making sure all work was done on time to let everyone off. I got passed this challenge by telling everyone how work was supposed to get done then trusting they would complete it, checking up on the progress on my free time. With trust I was able to complete all tasks and all personnel had the trust in my that we would not have any last second jobs that pop up. The most enjoyable part was traveling to different countries, getting to know there culture, as well as meeting new people and developing new friendships.
Pros
Job security, benefits, free Schooling, fast paced
Cons
Long time away from family sometimes months
Great benefits Time Off, and Commradery
HUMAN RESOURCES SPECIALIST/ QA SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Smyrna, GAFebruary 24, 2016
I start my day by getting a cup of coffee and then I send the Daily Production Review to my Supervisor. I check for discrepancies on the applicants paper work (Security Clearance, Medical, and any Fraudulent documents). I would approve the applicant to join the Navy Reserve or forward the paper work to higher authority. The most enjoyable part of my job was putting people in the Navy Reserve because it helped them become apart of the best Navy in the world. The hardest part of my job was long hours sometimes.
My supervisor, co-workers and I would go to lunch together and sometimes hangout at a sports bar, we had good times at work or at play.
Pros
Commradery, Benefits, Job Security, and Advancement
Cons
Honorable service to my country
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 4, 2016
Very long and stressful environment, to include long hours and shifts. Worked Monday thru Saturday on a 8 hour shift. Also watch standing Monday thru Sunday on a 4 hours on 8 hours off rotation.
Your shipments are your brothers, your family, your co workers, everything you have to rely on during your service time. Very strong brotherhood and teamwork relationships. Responsibility and courage are very strong values. Learned to cope with all types of religious believes, ethnicities, mentalities, etc. hardest part of the job is being at work away from your family and having such a stressful position and working during the most stressful situations you can imagine on a war zone.
Joining the military has been the most difficult and strong decision I've ever made. It was an honor to serve with my brothers at war and travel around the world. Definitely the best decision I've ever made but now ready to move on to bigger and better things.
Pros
Awesome benefits
Cons
Long stressful hours and being away from youir family
Great opportunity for building a foundation for the future
Cryptologic Technician Interpretive, Second Class (Current Employee) –  Wahiawā, HIMarch 25, 2016
Serving in the U.S. Navy has been a pleasure, and an experience I wouldn't trade for anything. Getting the opportunity to learn another language and culture in a fast-paced environment isn't something that many people get to do. Working in a role that allows you to develop yourself personally and professionally is also very rare in any workforce. The big plus is the ability to further yourself even more after you separate from the military with the GI Bill and VA benefits, and that's something that I'm truly thankful for!
Pros
GI Bill, VA benefits, Tuition Assistance
Cons
Duty Section, Urinalysis, Standing Watches (on top of regular work)
Best time of my life
Aviation Machinist Mate (Former Employee) –  Lemoore, CAFebruary 1, 2016
I traveled the world, i got to keep my family and many families here at home safe, served with pride and to this day still show it. Work was hectic, long hours, always busy, never stopped learning, no time for anything other than business. I learned to admire many different cultures in and out of those in the U.S., along with many skills that to this day I still put to use. Management, for the most part was good. I did have some bad managers but the amount of good managers and what they did for you heavily outweighed those bad supervisors. My co-workers were more than just that, many became family, I still keep in contact with many of them. The hardest part of my job was being away from my family and knowing any little error could change my life or those around me. Most enjoyable part was traveling the world and getting to experience many different cultures i had no clue about.
Pros
travel, benefits, friends
Cons
away time from family, low pay
Most Rewarding Experience i have ever had, not without sacrifice
Navy Recruiting Station Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Burlington, WAApril 5, 2016
I have had many jobs in my life, none of which, was Ever like the military. Go from working on 50 million dollar aircraft's to sitting down as recruiter for Navy, Talking to young men and woman about serving in the armed forces, and then at the end of the day taking off your uniform and boots to spend time with your incredible family. The Values of hard work, discipline, and sacrifice have always proven to be worth the cost. It has made me into the man i am today, always having unparalleled commitment to every task i receive, and never giving up on the objective that you've set out to complete.
Pros
Exceptional Benefits, Excellent training, Pride in Serving, The Principles one learns.
Cons
Having a family with very young children can be difficult.
High Stress, Long Hours, Great Benefits
Submarine Nuclear Power Supervisor (Current Employee) –  VariousFebruary 28, 2016
Days are dependent on the duty type you sign up for. My average day while onboard a submarine can range up to a 18 hour work day.

I have learned a lot of leadership skills from both good and bad leaders and my technical abilities are far beyond those of my civilian counterparts. We are almost to diversified to compete with a civilian job upon transition due to the number of skills the Navy has available.

The best part of the job is the people that you get to work with. Co-workers become family and life-long friends during deployments.

Hardest par of the job is work schedule to family life.

The best part of my job is the "job satisfaction" at the end of the day.
Pros
Benefits, Retirement Options
Cons
Work Hours, Poor Management
US Navy
Air Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAApril 5, 2016
The US Navy can be challenging at times. Long hours, low starting pay, irrational bosses, but that is not to say it doesn't have its up sides. Being in the US Navy has allowed not just myself but many others the ability to travel the world. Full medical and dental benefits are available for everyone as well as a housing allowance once you make a certain pay grade. It can be tough at times but the Navy is really what you make it. Keep a positive outlook and you will enjoy your time.
Pros
Free health care, dental care. Good pay once you stay in long enough.
Cons
Lots of busy work
Fast pace and ample amounts of job skill training
Ordnance Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego Naval Station, CAFebruary 17, 2016
The United States Navy is the best branch of the military to get the job skills and training you need. In an enlistment, you are required to provide several services aid in different departments throughout the command on top of the occupation you have already signed up for. When providing this aid, the navy gives you training to do these jobs and then you can collect the experience once you work in that field. Also you are allowed education opportunities, paid for by the navy. Free college? Sounds good to me! In the service you get what you put into it and there may be people you enjoy and others you can care less for but it is what you make it. I enjoyed my enlistment and the base it provided for me, but now I ready for life outside of the military.
Pros
Job security and benefits
Cons
Unstable hours and long periods of deployment
Overall great experience
Systems Administrator/COMSEC Custodian (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 9, 2016
Being in the Navy, I can't say there was ever a typical day. I was always on my toes waiting to see what happened each day.
I learned a lot about information systems, hardware installation and trouble shooting. Became efficient in most Microsoft Office applications.
Management differed at each place, but overall was a good experience.
The hardest part about the job was being away from my family for extended periods of time.
The most enjoyable party about the job was traveling, learning new things about my job and being exposed to so many other things outside of what it was like growing up in San Antonio. (people, places, culture)
Pros
job benefits, travel, pay
Cons
deployments, separated from family
Lacking in communication but great benefits
Nuclear Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  Pearl Harbor, HIApril 4, 2016
The navy provides great opportunities as well as pay and benefits. Unfortunately there are several overarching problems that could be fixed. The biggest problem here is the lack of communication. I have learned a great deal about management and how not to manage. As long as you aren't easily offended then the coworkers are typically great to work with (though keep in mind that there is always at least one bad apple in every bunch).
Pros
Great benefits and decent pay
Cons
You are just a number to your "employers."
Joining the Navy is a lifestyle.
Aviation Boatswains Mate-Fuels (RPPO) (Current Employee) –  Bremerton, WAApril 4, 2016
The Navy has given me the opportunity to learn how to work with a multitude of diverse people, time management, and extracurricular responsibilities. This is not the average 9 to 5 job, it is a lifestyle drenched with traditions and long hours, but it is life changing and will either bring out the worst or the best within an individual.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Can travel up to 9 months, continuously.
Great Comradeship, poor quality of life
ELECTRONICS TECHNICIAN COMMUNICATION (Former Employee) –  Groton, CTFebruary 18, 2016
Typical day at work would be about 18 hours long on a submarine. 12 of it spent working, and the other 6 spent for free time. sleep is included in this free time. In port, you will work up to 18 hours on a normal work day repairing the boat or doing general maintenance. and on duty days, you are expected to stay overnight, and work a full day the following day. High stress job, low pay.

Favorite thing about the Navy is the friends you make, will always be there. There is nothing like the bonds you create when you are in the service. When you are there for the person next to you constantly and they are there for you in return. Knowing that you can trust that person with your life. It is something that is hard to explain, but never forgotten.
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
Not being payed half as much as you should based off of your responsibilities
demanding and rewarding
Administrative Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 30, 2016
Because of the Navy I am able to work well under pressure and in a diverse environment realizing and being able to treat everyone as an individual. A typical day at work would consist of many challenges ranging from completing tasks due to lack of manpower to late hours which ultimately lead to completing daily tasks successfully. Being in the military there is a constant change of personnel in the workplace which mean not only constant training, but constant learning to become successful no matter if the tasks are temporary or permanent. Managing teams of personnel ranging from 10 to 100 personnel can become challenging but the job is always done because at the end of the day no matter the job we are a team and where one person lacks the other picks up which is due to great communication and proper personnel management. The hardest part of the job for me is delegation because i am a very hands on type of person who likes to ensure the job is done correctly the first time, but I have learned to trust my people and prove themselves.
Pros
Paid vacation, medical and dental benefits, consistent pay
Cons
accountability
Great experiences, good people, stressful at times.
MH-60S Aircrewman/Rescue Swimmer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 3, 2016
As a rescue swimmer, my time in the Navy gave me some of the most rewarding experiences that I will certainly miss, and while the job was very stressful and physically demanding at times, the experiences and people I worked with have had a lifelong impact.

It's not without its downsides however. Command politics, repetitive training, sleep deprivation, health hazards, and potential life-threatening situations all contribute to making this a very high-stress organization, and will not fit with those who are unable to accept those risks.
Pros
Good Training, Great Experiences, Visiting Foriegn Countries, Active-Duty and Verterans Benefits
Cons
Stressful, Repetitive, Dangerous, Physically Demanding
Patriotic and Fullfilling
Emergency Program Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 5, 2016
Going to work every day was a fulfilled, meaningful, and a team building experience every time! A typical work day is based around pride and professionalism, ensuring the safety and preparedness of a ship's crew for emergencies or disasters involved with military deployment. Being a part of a team filled with camaraderie every day I go to work is immeasurable. Even though the difficulty is always leaving our homeland for action and adventure over seas, it is worth the reminder of how great and free our country is. As a shipboard firefighting and flooding damage control professional, normal work included ensuring optimal operation of fire suppression systems; organizing, training, and evaluating emergency teams, and responding to crisis such as flooding, fire, and chemical, biological, and radiological events. Going to work is a new job every day!
Pros
Morale and Welfare, Teamwork, Patriotism, Job Security, Benefits
Cons
Leaving family often for extended periods of time, War/Battle
Rewarding work if you can keep it!
Command Career Counselor (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 22, 2016
The military of today is not like in any time past. The overall workforce is better educated and must be the most reflexive to world events than it ever has.

In keeping with that basic tenant, the United States military has become a competitive and dynamic work environment where one has to prove themselves willing to take the hard jobs in return for a pay and compensation package that is top tier. It is true that many military members that want to stay are no longer allowed due to performance factors and unwillingness to be flexible with what the military needs of its workforce.

Overall I am proud to be retiring from the US Navy and recommend military service to any young man or woman out there who is seeking to find their place in our country. If you go in with the mindset of simply being the best you can be, you will be.
Pros
Pay and compensation, medical and dental benefits, housing allowances.
Cons
Long deployments away from families, extended and hard working hours, adapting to strict military standards 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Productive.
YEOMAN (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 4, 2016
Military is very misunderstood as of today society, everyone still tries to compare it to the old ways, and nothing is similar. Everything has changed sense then, and the military is starting to lose the passion that people had when they were in. The overall morale of the military isn't as high as it use to be, and a lot of people are looking to get away from it as a career.
Pros
Benefits, schooling paid for, health coverage.
Cons
Bad food, Bad management, mistreated lower members.
Extremely rewarding, great experiences and good people
Facilities Manager (Current Employee) –  Pearl Harbor, HIJanuary 26, 2016
Depending on job assignment, some jobs are easier than others. Those considering seeking to join should do their homework to ensure adequate opportunities for advancement and duty locations available while serving. Trades and skills are invaluable while on active duty, but ensure a trade is selected that will allow for future career opportunities once tour of duty is completed.
Pros
Health Care, VA benefits, GI Bill, Housing, COLA, steady income
Cons
Poor management in some locations, undermanned duty assignments.
Great career starter to get you started on a particular trade with very flexible in port hours.
Supply Database Administrator (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 22, 2016
A typical day started at 630 in the morning and usually ended around 230 depending on your job and workload. I learned a lot about teamwork and time management. I enjoyed my co workers and they times spent together while deployed at sea. The hardest part about the job could be the long hours and days at sea away from the family.
Pros
Great benefits and advancement opportunities.
Cons
Long Hours.

4.4