U.S. Navy
10,072 reviews

U.S. Navy United States Employee Reviews

Many oppertunities for advancement
Midshipman (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAApril 18, 2015
Midshipman studying and training towards being commissioned into the USN. Lots of hours, very rewarding teamwork, very including environment, multitude of career paths
Not just a job, an adventure.
Machinist Mate 1st class (Former Employee), USS Texas, CGN 39April 18, 2015
Pros: Job of a lifetime.
Cons: A lot of work.
Join the Navy, see the world. I did and it was great. Naval nuclear power program, Experience you carry with you for the rest of your life.
Highly demanding and rewarding work environment providing training and education while working with professionals from diverse backgrounds.
Aviation Ordnanceman First Class (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLApril 18, 2015
Pros: Travel, Job Security, People, Structure, Leadership, Training, Demanding, Education, Diverse Backgrounds, Technology
Cons: Spend a lot of time away from family
I served in the United States Navy for 20 as an Aviation Ordnanceman, working with aircraft computer weapon systems and the handling of military weapons. During this time, the Navy has provided education, management, travel, and promotional opportunities to all its sailors. Traveled to multiple countries and experienced different cultures all the while serving my country. The hardest part of the job was spending time away from family. The most enjoyable part of the job was the team building and relationships, training, and the rewarding accomplishments. I will truly miss my timed served in the United Sates Navy and I encourage all to experience the Navy.
The Military
Lead Supply Warehouse Logistics Specialist (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAApril 18, 2015
Pros: benefits, secure, great feeling for life
Cons: scary situations, stressful choices, last minute moves, stuck in a contract with out any say so on missions.
Has many perks with stability and benefits and the pride and respect you feel for defending your country. You get to meet so many great friends that can become family and possibilities to see many amazing places.
There are very good oppurtuities in the Navy
Floor Supervisor (Current Employee), Santa Rita, GUApril 18, 2015
Serving in the military has a lot of benefits such as continuing your education, learning a new skill, and good compensation. On the other hand there are a lot of sacrifices that must be made on a personal level.
Best Job ever!
Medical Assistant/ Optical Technician (Former Employee), Orlando, FL and IllinoisApril 18, 2015
I was a medic so I didn't have a typical day at work, ever and that is what enjoyed about it.
I worked with a diverse bunch of people from all walks of life and I think that's what made it so great.
I was continually learning new things, not necessarily having to do with medicine/health at all.
Enjoyable job that protects the people and property of the US
Senior Advisor (Current Employee), Chicago, ILApril 17, 2015
Always changing at a moments notice.
I was a first line supervisor that was responsible for 600 plus employees.
Hardest part of the job was not knowing what problem you were going to have to deal with from one of your employees
The most enjoyable part of the job was doing whatever was required to keep my military team mates alive and well.
Travel with the Navy
Management Specialist - Supply Department (Former Employee), USS Coral Sea CV-43April 17, 2015
This was an incredible time period of my life while traveling the world. While being the part of a life long fraternity. The areas of the world I have seen greatly expanded my knowledge of the world and the numerous cultures. While it was one of the more serious jobs I ever had, it was one I probably miss the most.
Submarine lifestyle
Electrician's Mate (Former Employee), Honolulu, Hawaii.April 17, 2015
Pros: See the world.
Cons: Long workdays.
While in port workday starts at 0630 and ends when all work is complete, typically about 10 hrs or so. I learned many things, from low level management, to basic and intermediate electrical maintenance.
My co-workers, superiors, and subordinates were all very knowledgeable and pleasant to work with.
The most difficult part of the job was the long periods away from home, cut off from the outside world.
I enjoyed working with my hands both routine and corrective maintenance.
I learned alot about life really fast in the navy.
Intelligence Analyst / Database Administrator (Former Employee), CTT2April 17, 2015
Pros: easy schedule, fast work enviorment
Cons: office politics
it was a great ride, I had a lot of ups and downs. the schedule was easy, and I was not asked to do anything crazy. promotion rates for me were average.
Strike Fighter Squadron
Maintenance Master Chief Petty Officer (Current Employee), Lemoore Naval Air Station, CAApril 17, 2015
Pros: You're serving our Country and our Navy! There is no better PRO.
Cons: It is sea duty and the hours are long.
This is an exceptional Strike Fighter squadron that is undergoing a very tough period during it's workup cycle in preparation for an upcoming deployment. Despite long work hours and lack of supply support external to the squadron, the Sailors are happy and strive for excellence daily.
The biggest hurdle this squadron has faced is maintaining training and proficiency while trying to rebuild our assigned aircraft following induction and receipt from a Level 3 maintenance action requiring extensive dismantling and inspection of the aircraft airframe and systems. During this several month long period, several modifications were also accomplished by Depot level repair artisans.
Now that we are flying once again, the greatest challenge is maintaining those jets and working out the bugs that come from undergoing a long term inspection cycle.
Awesome experience!
Personnel/Manpower/IT Department Head (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNApril 17, 2015
Pros: I recieved important and useful training and education.
Cons: Lots of relocation was required, posing some inconvenience on my family.
Serving in the US Navy allowed me to achieve a vast amount of knowledge and skill sets that set me up for success in my life after my service was completed.
Challenging yet satisfying
Hull Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), Bremerton, WAApril 17, 2015
Pros: ability to advance quickly through the ranks
Cons: long at sea periods, being away from home & family
You will appreciate everything that you learn in the Navy and it will help sculpt you into a responsible and contributing member of society, but you will work harder and longer hours than you ever have at any other job. If you decide to go this route get ready for a roller coaster ride.
Great work environment
Dental Technician (Former Employee), Little Creek, VAApril 17, 2015
It was great to work there had lots of fun and exciting adventures. traveled to many different places. Co-workers were awsome, the management was great. my dentist was superb.
Plenty of Travel and Cleaning
Safety Petty Officer (Current Employee), Newport News, VAApril 17, 2015
Great opportunity to travel the world and see some places that you may never to get to see if you hadn't joined the service.
Navy
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee), IliniosApril 17, 2015
Pros: benefits, honorable
Cons: hard to advance
Working for the US Navy.
Honor, Courage and commitment
most respectable job Ive had. A typical day of work would consist of
crazy
E-5 (Former Employee), waApril 16, 2015
A day in the navy is always something new that you will encounter. Joining the navy was one of the best things I have done. I meet people from all over the word.
Mission focused
Director of Strategic Range Planning (Current Employee), San DiegoApril 16, 2015
Pros: Location, emphasis on fitness, shipmates
Cons: bureaucratic, highly demanding, outdated administrative systems
Located in San Diego
Demanding job
Professional and dedicated workforce
Bureaucratic
Slow to make a decision
subordinate organizations are too independent
It is what you make it
Aviation Electronics Technician (Current Employee), MDApril 16, 2015
Pros: The feeling of being a part of something bigger than oneself, unique experiences, on-the-job training, free trade schools, benefits during and after enlistment/commission
Cons: Family separation, "negative Nancys", long hours, undesireable jobs at low ranks, lack of democratic solutions to common problems
Work experiences vary greatly from person to person, command to command, duty station to duty station, year to year. Its never the same for everyone, and that's part of the excitement. In the end, what you experience in the United States Navy is a direct result of what you put in, negative and positive; I wouldn't trade those experiences for the world.
A challenging environment
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee), Newport, RIApril 16, 2015
Pros: A lot of oppurtunity to learn
Cons: Work varies by location and job
There are a lot of opportunities to improve both professionally and personally, and the high standards of the military set an excellent minimum to go by.

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Navy

Imagine working with the most awe-inspiring equipment and technology the world has ever seen. Making your living as a rescue swimmer – Read more

U.S. Navy Salaries