U.S. Navy Employee Reviews in United States

Found 13,717 reviews matching the search
Get your foot in the door then look elsewhere if you can
Supervisory Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Joint Base Pearl Hbr Hickam, HIMay 8, 2016
Navy Civilian Supervisor for a staff of 10. I did not have my own desk when I got there. I had to find a table in the corner. Management is horrible. No support, no communication, and everyone is only looking out for themselves. Personnel files were jacked up and all over the place, other offices, and just laying around on someone's desk. No morale at all. If you want to work for the DoD, I would recommend any other branch. Stay away from the Dept.of the Navy.
Pros
Healthcare, sick leave, annual leave, TSP
Cons
No morale, no communication, no support from management
Extremely productive and Superior Leadership
Hospital Corpsman Third Class (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDMay 5, 2016
Maintenance of Medical Records of over 1,000 Marines and Sailors. Administration of Immunization to Marines and Sailors. Provide medical services for 1st Battalion 6th Marine Regiment. Patient well-being is the most enjoyable part of the occupation. The hardest part is the toll it takes when there are casualties. I had superb coworkers who were excellent at functioning as a team.
Pros
Honorable job
Cons
Twenty plus hour days.
Good and bad, depending on what one made of it
Mess Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMay 3, 2016
Day began with attendance muster, word from the division commander and work assignment from the chief. Learned to work with many different people groups. Both foreign and domestic. The hardest part of the job was putting up with incompetent senior officers. The most enjoyable part was traveling to foreign countries and experiencing new cultures.
Pros
Paid travel, paid holidays, free health care
Cons
Long hard work hours, many times under adverse conditions.
Good training and good experience
Interior Communications Electrician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 29, 2016
A typical day involved either performing maintenance or repair on shipboard electronic/electrical systems. I learned how to repair electronic/electrical equipment. Management was fine. Co-workers were okay. The hardest part of the job was being away from my family for months at a time. The most enjoyable part of the job was returning home after being at sea for months.
Pros
Training, medical, and seeing the world
Cons
Separations from my family
Jobs in the Navy
Avionics Electronics Technician (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 5, 2016
I have worked in the Navy for 7 years, it has been extremely positive for my growth and knowledge base. I have developed and learned a lot of skills to include maintenance procedures, time management, and dispersing a work load. The hardest part about my time in the Navy was the constant push on maintenance to get done so fast in a constricting time frame, that pushed a fine line between getting the job done correctly and getting it done quickly. I have developed a strong personality in the ability to stand my ground for things that I stand by to include maintenance done by the book. I enjoyed my time in the Navy the people I met and everything I have learned.
The job was rewarding
Aircraft Maintainer (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMay 27, 2016
I worked on F/A-18 Super Hornet ejection seats, the job was fun and exciting knowing that you were the person to save the pilots life before the jet crashes. Being in the Navy taught me to be an outstanding team leader, a great listener and and amazing technician, I have been given many awards and certificates for my keen attention to detail when it came to my work, also been given jobs above my pay grade for that same reason also.
Hardest part of my job was getting to understand the aircraft and all my subsystems that i worked on but once that was understood everything seemed easier.
Pros
working around F/A-18 Super Hornets
Cons
Stressful environment
U.S. Navy
Hospital Corpsman Chief Petty Officer/E-7 (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 8, 2016
Senior Enlisted program manager. Supervising personnel and enforcing policy.

Over a career of employment with the Navy, I gained experience and expertise in many areas. I am well experienced with: U.S. Federal Government and local governments, Soft skills, risk management, supervision, inspection, reporting, finances, and management. Over 25 years of commitment, and the challenges of development of people, and policies.
Pros
Overall atmosphere, culture, and respect.
Cons
Selfless sacrafices that must be given over all others, even family.
Working in the u.S. Navy
Senior Paralegal (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 9, 2016
Enables and trains you to be a flexible leader and use techniques to develop future leaders.

The most enjoyable part of being a United States Chief Petty Officer is the interaction with junior Sailors. Training them on the policies and procedures in order to make them a better leader.

Provides a level of experience you can't get anywhere else. Being trained as a paralegal but as a Senior Enlisted Leader you also get experience in Human Resources as the Subject Matter Expert on personnel issues.
Pros
Experience, healthcare, and training
Cons
Deployments and time away from the family
Well organize with hard working and enjoyable atmosphere.
Customer Service, Terminal Personnel (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 27, 2016
work from 0600 A.M-1000 P.M with 1 to 1 1/2 hrs break times. Develop a multi-task state of mind. When working with co-workers i've find that many of my colleagues have different work ethics, but we always come together to solve any problems with in the work place. The hardest times where when you had to work 16 or more hrs with less than 5 hrs of sleep. Sometimes when there is negativity in the work place there is always 2 or more co-workers who create positivity with sense of humor.
Sea-going vessel was tough life
Chief Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  West Coast. CA, HI, WAMay 16, 2016
Over the course of my career I was attached to five different Navy vessels. The experiences I had were a mixture of hard work, long hours, and friendship.
A typical day at work depended on a myriad of things such as the condition of the ship (were we deploying, were we coming back, were we going into overhaul etc).
Co-workers? Some of the finest people I have ever had the pleasure of working with. To put it into context; you could disagree with someone at work and have a hard time with them but in off hours they were your brother or sister.
Pros
the senior officers
Cons
the senior officers
Hard work but fun
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WAApril 27, 2016
Durring my time in the Navy I learned my strengths and weakness. A typical day was ether 4 plus hours of standing watch or breaking mp rust, painting and priming spaces to keep them up to exemplary standards. After the work was all done it was time to hit the gym or have fun with friends, we all became pretty tight knit. It was like a family away from family and more often than not, they showed me more about myself than I would have ever found out on my own. This little family that we formulated was definitely the best part of the job as well as the food we got to eat in other countries. I suppose the hardest part was having to see some people go but that's life.
Pros
Free dental/medical
Cons
Troublemakers
Professional Analyst processing and reporting
Technical ELINT Analyst (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 29, 2016
Analytical review, processing and reporting to national level consumers. Own work space and work phone working in close proximity with experienced and knowledgeable coworkers.

Learning to work with various computer applications, databases and other software required to process and report relevant information.

Great supervisors pushing for employees to excel.

Expectation of multiple duties outside of required work.

Belonging to a team that drives you to want to do better.
Exciting and Productive Workplace
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 29, 2016
As an intern, the experience at the Naval Research Laboratory was fulfilling and exciting. I had the opportunity to do my own research, with excellent mentoring throughout the summer. Even that I was only an intern, I was working with topics that were relatively important for my code/division. The job culture is comfortable, and the people are very friendly and eager to help others.

On the other hand, the location is convenient and easy to arrive to without much traffic. The Naval Research Laboratory is located in the outskirts of Washington DC, and is easily accessible from the city, Maryland and even Virginia areas.
Pros
Location, Environment
A Wonderful Experience
Language/Intelligence Analyst (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAApril 30, 2016
I had a wonderful time in the U.S. Navy as an Arabic Linguist and intelligence analyst. I got to work with some amazing enlisted folks and officers alike, as well as different people in the intelligence community. The Navy taught me how to be punctual, how to pay attention to my work and maintain a high standard of professionalism, and to appreciate the world through the lens of not just the military, but also the United States government.
Pros
Excellent pay, good benefits, unlimited training options
Cons
Sometimes long hours, relocation
It varies on your job or rating
Helped physicians examine and treat patients (Former Employee) –  United StatesMay 2, 2016
The job all depends on the type of duty station you go to and who you work with. There are times that you might encounter complete rude managers with no regard to your wellbeing and there are times that you have solid leadership that strengthen you and gives you room to grow to your potential. The only draw back is the permission to speak freely and there are certain times the supervisor is wrong but they don't want to admit it because they don't care.
Pros
free healthcare, camaraderie.
Perfect Branch of the Military
Second Class Petty Officer (YN2) - Active Duty (Former Employee) –  Selfridge Air National Guard Base, MIMay 3, 2016
The US Navy is the place to be if you want the adventure along with the training to be the best you can possibly be. I learned how to be more organized in my duties/living and I was thought strict discipline and how to respect my chain of command. the hardest part of the job was being away from your family for long period of time. The most enjoyable part of the job was that I was able to travel and see places I have never seen before.
Pros
Helps you become a better well organized person
Cons
missing your family and duty day
A great ship but hard on the soul.
Active Duty, Yeoman (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 3, 2016
A typical day in the Navy on board a ship has its moments. From the moment you walk across the brow my life goes from relaxation to some kind of ridiculous journey. The most enjoyable part about this job is that you get to explore and and meet all kinds of different people. However the worst part is dealing with having to be away from your family. At this job I have learned quite a bit, from line handler's to basic deck seamanship to even getting my qualification as a Master Helmsman for my ship.
Pros
benefits, traveling, consistent pay check, meeting new people
Cons
stressful, being away from your family, being around eachother all the time.
Great working environment when workers become family.
Aviation Machinist Mate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 5, 2016
Nice friendly working environment where everyone plays a role in getting the task at hand done. Great leadership that trickles down to other workers. Proactive in listening to problems and trying to resolve them to best fit the situation. Great feeling of accomplishment when getting the job done in a timely manner.
Pros
Good pay, Good benefits, stable income
Cons
A lot of time away from family, no sleep, schedule changes at the drop of a dime
Committed to excellent
BOATWAIN'S MATE (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 7, 2016
Dedicated and focus administrative assistant whose excel at prioritizing, completing multiple task simultaneously, and following through achieving project goals. Committed and motivated office assistance with exceptional customer service and decision making skills, strong work ethics, Professional
demeanor and great initiatives. Proficient at quickly learning new procedures and taking ownership of diverse project. Flexible and hardworking with strong drive to succeed.
ENGINEMAN (Former Employee) –  Great Lakes, ILMay 8, 2016
On september 15th, 2015 I was promoted to assistant manager entrusted with the responsibility of training new employees - stocking food items, running cashier register, pricing items closing the sales of the day.
I supervised strictly to ensure a job well done by each employee.
It was challenging in terms of when there is a break down of any of the computers.
The employee were supportive and enthusiastic to learning new ideas.
Pros
FREE LUNCH
Cons
NO HEALTHCARE BENEFIT

4.4