U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Found 16,231 reviews matching the search
Workplace Culture
Senior Operations Analyst, Member Services (Current Employee) –  U.S. Naval Academy Grounds in Annapolis, MDMarch 22, 2017
I've worked for this company for many years and find the mission is noble and those standards are upheld. Many of the people currently working here are wonderful. Great place to work, wages are not up to standard even for a non-profit company. Benefits are good, all Holidays off vacation time is very good if you are able to use it. There is only room for advancement if you are personally liked by those that make the decisions. Wages and recognition are very unbalanced between the upper management and Member Services which is actually Order Processing as well as Customer/Vendor Relations. This department is looked at as less than and so these employees are not compensated at all close to what should paid.
Pros
All Government Holidays off and decent PTO
Cons
Wages below standard, selective growth potential
Horrible atmosphere but great job security
NDT Inspector (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WAFebruary 3, 2017
From my experience promotions were based on buddy system or to get someone who does not do well at their job out of the way and the ones who excel at the job get held there because they get the work done right. Work life balance is non existent with a schedule that changes what shift you will be working day to day. Long hours and forced over time is a regular, but you do get time and a half for OT and shift differential. Lots of travel always on very short notice and the dates of travel change frequently, many times as you get to the air port you are called to come back and leave another day, you also typically get extended once at the temporary duty station for undetermined amounts of time. A week trip easily and regularly turns into a 2 month trip and you get no say in if that works for your home life.
Pros
Pay, benefits, job security
Cons
work life balance, promotions based on buddy system not ability
Productive workplace with excellent camaraderie.
Operations Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 31, 2017
The Navy is an excellent place to work. The people that you work along side, as well as the places you go will leave memories with you for the rest of your life.The experience gained in the Navy can be used anywhere in the world. The Navy defines leadership in all individuals. Each and every person in the military has the potential to become better than they were the day before. The hardest thing to handle with the job, however is the time spent away from home. It is expected for a sailor to spend half of their naval career out at sea; but on the opposite side of the same coin, the best part about the job is the ability to travel and see sights that not very many people get to see.
Pros
Benefits, experience, travel.
Cons
Politics
Good place to learn crucial skills
Quality Assurance Representative (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 21, 2017
The military in general is a good place to learn crucial transferrable skills. A typical day in the maintenance department includes checking tools, preparing for maintenance meeting, receiving priorities from maintenance control, and then carrying out assigned tasks. Tasks can vary widely depending on what platform you work on. I learned management, team building, communication, problem solving, trouble-shooting, discipline, quality assurance, and how to have an overall good work ethic. The hardest part of the job is being deployed away from your family. The most enjoyable part of the job is job security.
Pros
steady paycheck, benefits, life insurance, quality of life resources
Cons
deployment, may not have choice in job location
Military lifestyle is fairly easy but there's more to life then this.
Operation Specialist 3rd Class (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 3, 2017
My experience with the military was amazing but it's not as glorified as most see it, with most personnel not seeing what real military life is like for those who risk their lives daily out in actual combat, the job seems like any other with perks of all the benefits with less pay. I truly believe the military is good though, a good place to build character, discipline, and learn to be responsible for those who enlist fairly early in their life, it's a great start. Work is very tedious with hours that most would seem unfair specially with the pay but military is volunteer work and if you didn't know the facts about military then you know now. I do not regret enlisting nor I believe it isn't a good career choice but for me I would love to pursue what I really want to do.
Pros
Benefits, experience, travel, and the community.
Cons
Work hours, pay, environment, micro management, food, quality of workplace.
Productive workplace and great opportunity for advancement
Aviation Machinery Mechanic Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 9, 2017
The Navy taught me the importance of punctuality, attention to detail, efficiency and working quickly under pressure. I gained discipline and the skill to work with people from various cultures and lifestyles. Management changed frequently. From that, I learned what I believe is good leadership and bad leadership. The hardest part of the job was adjusting to the workcenter culture. In a male dominated field of work, there were many biases against women being capable of excelling in this particular mechanically based job. The most enjoyable part of being in the military is that I was given the opportunity to travel to various countries outside of the United States. I was able to experience other cultures which broadened my view of the world.
Pros
Travel, benefits, life experience.
Cons
unsatisfactory work culture
Demanding and rewarding
Nuclear Propulsion Plant Operator (Machinist Mate) (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAJanuary 27, 2017
The Navy itself is a fine place to work; it provides you with technical training, allows you to travel to different countries and experience many unique cultures, and post-Navy benefits are passable. As a propulsion plant operator, we were always under-staffed, and thus, overworked. My fellow operators and I were essentially working a full-time job while also being full-time college students. Working at any and all hours day and night, and standing watch for hours in 90-100+ steam machinery workspaces created an environment where 3-4 hours of sleep was considered normal, and it wasn't unusual to be working for 24+ hours straight. Being a propulsion plant operator was incredibly demanding, but we were rewarded with automatic advancement to Petty Officer Third Class, and the high-stress environment led to powerful bonds in our community.
Pros
Place to live, Food, Travel
Cons
High-Stress, Lack-luster benefts
Good place to learn crucial skills
Electronics Technician (Current Employee) –  Everett, WAFebruary 6, 2017
Pros
steady paycheck, benefits, life insurance, best co-workers
Cons
Forced relocation, politics, high-stress
Great place for an 18 year old to grow up
E6/FC1 (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 28, 2016
Best job culture you'll ever find! You'll learn hard and soft skills that you'll need and use the rest of your life. Junior enlisted carry the most work load yet are treated the worst, I wouldn't recommend the military to someone over the age of 25, unless they're coming in as an Officer, assuming they're a responsible adult. The longer I was in the more I realized the military doesn't retain the best, they retain the people that can't make it in the civilian sector or the people that absolutely love the military and unfortunately the later is a significant minority. In short the military is a great starting point for a young person to acquire basic life skills, a skilled trade and a large avenue of opportunities as either a Veteran or continued military service.
Pros
Best Benefits you can find
Fire Controlman Third Class
Technician (Former Employee) –  Mayport, FloridaMarch 4, 2017
I had a great and intensive learning experience as a Petty Officer Third Class during my enlistment in the United States Navy. My learning curve was one that was steep, fast paced, and knowledge intensive to say the least. What I garnered from this experience was one of loyalty, attention to detail, teamwork, follow through, and an inherent sense of self pride. I would recommend an enlistment to anyone unsure of what to do with their direction in life. The benefits a serviceman, or servicewoman receives, lasts a lifetime. The incentives are certainly there for the taking; travel, enlistment and reenlistment bonuses, rank advancement, and technical training that you really can't obtain in any setting but the United States Military.
Pros
Teamwork, attention to detail, travel, and guaranteed income and benefits.
Cons
Serviceman's input regarding policy or operational direction within their specialty rating's.
Excellent career choice
Logistic Specialist (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 1, 2017
Logistics Specialists manage inventories of repair parts and general supplies that support ships, squadrons, and shore-based activities. They procure, receive, store and issue material and repair components. They utilize financial accounting and database systems to perform inventory and financial management functions.
Logistics Specialists operate Navy post offices. Their work is similar to that of civilians who work for the U.S. Postal Service. PCs supervise, organize, and establish or disestablish a Navy post office. They sort and distribute all official and personal mail, manage money order and stamp inventories, and maintain financial and inventory reports.
Pros
Great benefits and work enviroments
Cons
Very long work days
A great stepping stone!
Operational Intelligence Specialist (Current Employee) –  Oak Harbor, WAMarch 27, 2017
Over my time in the military I have grown as a person and connected with different types of people. I've had the pleasure in traveling overseas in the Far East Asia region. With my job title came long hours but rewarding at the same time. I was able to manage an team of 12 people over my time in service. The hardest part and the reason I have decided to leave the service is the excessive deployments. For me it is time to stay home more with my family. Great experience!
Pros
Great benifits, job security, and management skills
Cons
Long deployments
Great place to make friends
Master at Arms (Former Employee) –  VirginiaDecember 29, 2016
The US navy has been a good chapter in my life. I have made many changes to my lifestyle and I have been able to use the skills for my own work. Management is not always good but it does what it does for its self. You will make friends as you start but as you make rank you will have to be something else that you will hate and lose those friends. You are replaceable, they will find someone to take your place. Advancement is not a guarantee but for the few that make friends with the management will advance. Racism is strong on all sides of the spectrum and they will conceal it and come together to hide it and tell you it doesn't exist. Remember it's not about what you want or what the navy wants it's what your current leadership wants. After all of this I would still work for the navy because there are good people that can make a good change and I want to see that.
Pros
Travel, job opportunities, benefits
Cons
Management, time off, dangerous situations that are created by the management, brown nosing
Military
Nuclear Machinist/ELT (Former Employee) –  Kings Bay Naval Submarine Support Base, GAJanuary 26, 2017
It's hard, long hours low pay, very bureaucratic. Slow to do anything unless taking money is involved. The benefits cant be beat, however it can be difficult to find time to use them depending on your chosen field. Management obviously varies from command to command, You might get to see the world or you might get stuck in a metal tube for months at a time and never see a foreign port. Being a community and family there is opportunities for fun and good times.
Pros
Healthcare, housing, food, job security
Cons
loss of personal identity, loss of free time, loss of choices, very strict
Excellent Opportunity for People Who Want to Serve Their Country
Command Information Programs Manager (Former Employee) –  New JerseyMarch 18, 2017
Typical Day: 0700-1500
Learning in the military is non-stop no matter what branch of service you choose. If you stop learning and become complacent, the job becomes boring and monotonous.
Coming up though the ranks and becoming the manager/leader of the organization you learn allot of what to do and what not to do. Each experience is something to learn from.Take them, and mold yourself into the best leader you can be.
The culture is very fast paced and ever-changing. It is a fun environment to work in.
The hardest part is leaving you family for extended periods of time.
The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing your junior personnel succeed knowing you played a pivotal role in their development.
Pros
Benefits, Travel, Security
Cons
Time away from the family
A Sense of Pride
Aviation Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMarch 27, 2017
Working in the military is not easy, but it's not always hard, either. 50+ hours a week when we were not deployed at sea, 12 hours a day for 7 days when we were deployed. There's a sense of culture you never expected to see outside of the movies. You're one big family that has an end goal of staying a live and fighting a war.

Hands on work is how you learn your job. They throw you in the fray hoping for the best, and only the strong willed come out on top. I don't regret my time in the service, and I would do it again in a heartbeat, but the service is not for everyone.
Benefits
Cons
Long hours, dangerous
20 years of service in the United States and around the world
Mayport Medical Clinic Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mayport, FLFebruary 21, 2017
With 20 years of naval service, I was able to see parts of the world while having positive interactions with different cultures and people. This enhanced my foundation in diversity, in not judging other people and cultures just because it was different from mine. Providing health care and services, providing relief operations to Kurdish refugees was the highlight of my career.
Pros
Health benefits, steady income, travel, advancement
Cons
Management, moving your family every 3-4 years
Nuclear Electrician on board US Submarines
Nuclear Electrician (Former Employee) –  Bangor Naval Submarine Base, WADecember 11, 2016
A normal work day consisted of long hours with at least an hour of classroom training, multiple hours of electrical maintenance, and multiple hours of on watch.
The military taught me many things including but not limited to: work ethic, theory of electricity, leadership, theory of nuclear power, electrical safety and first aid practices, team work.
While employed for 6 years by the US Navy, I have had a few direct supervisors. Many of them were phenomenal and a few were not so much.
I am still friends with many of the co-workers that I served with. They have become best friends and family.
The long hours, days, and months away from home.
I enjoyed all the co-workers I served with. I also enjoyed the mental stimulation and physical exercise.
Pros
Full medical/dental benefits, decent pay
Cons
long periods of time away from home
It is what you make it.
Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  Various locations inside and outside of USJanuary 18, 2017
You will never have a set schedule, you may work 40 hours straight get a 3 hour nap then work another 20+ hours. Upper management is a joke and more concerned with politics than getting a job done quickly and correctly. Your coworkers will be your family, you eat, sleep, work, etc with them every day you will become closer with them than anyone else in your life. The hardest part of the job isn't the long hours its the red tape and politics.
Pros
Decent benifits, permenant job if you dont get into trouble with the law.
Cons
Mismanagment, little to know time with family
This job in the Navy was awesome and fun
Personnel Officer (Former Employee) –  Home ports were Charleston, SCDecember 7, 2016
I worked in the administrative and personnel offices on board ship and ashore. I did administrative and clerical duties my complete career and worked my way up to Personnel Officer before I retired. I never had a typical day because every day was different. Management and co-workers were great. The hardest part of being in the navy was long deployments and being away from my family for long periods of time, and the most enjoyable part of the job was visiting many countries and cities around the world.
Pros
The pay, good advancement opportunities, visiting different countries, and the benefits.
Cons
Long deployments, wars, and being away from my family for long periods of time.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Navy. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4