U.S. Navy

12.1K reviews

U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

The U.S. NAVY is the best thing to have ever happened to me.
Auxiliary Mechanic (Former Employee), Silverdale, WAAugust 26, 2013
Pros: good pay, good food, housing, medical, g.i. bill, advancement, career option.
Cons: long hours, months at sea, minimal contact with outside world, standing watch in the sun while wearing 50lb armor.
I would wake up and put on the uniform of our countries NAVY. Drive to the pier and proceed to do the most epic job I will ever have had in my life time. I was an Auxiliary Mechanic on a ballistic submarine. Be there by 7 every morning and spend my whole day training new sailors on the boat and repair auxiliary equipment through out the sub. Studying to get qualified in numerous jobs and watch standing stations. Divisional musters to talk about future plans while out at sea and in port.
I learned discipline and honor in the NAVY. Along with Hydraulics, high pressure air systems, low pressure air systems, sanitation systems, Diesel engine, radiation, security, refrigeration, pumps, fire fighting, first aid, fire arms, submarine ballistic systems, submarine operating systems, tagging out systems to be worked on, oxygen generation systems, air filtration systems, manual operation of all mechanical systems, even down to driving the submarine! This is by far the absolute coolest job I have ever had the honor of being a part of.
Management, or the chain of command, is incredibly responsible. I place where they care more about their sailors then they do a multi billion dollar weapon. I.E. machines can be repaired/replaced. A sailors life can not. A sailor has a family. Safety has always been the number one priority of management on my boat and all other vessels a like.
My co-workers were just co-workers but only for a short period of time. They later became my family. We don't just go to work and then leave. At some point you will live with these men while out at sea and your life – more... will depend on them and theirs will depend on you. Therefor a massive trust in one another will become apparent. I love my brothers and I would give my life for them. I know they would do the same for me. Even if I have not been in the NAVY since March of 2011, once a Submariner always a Submariner.
Now the hardest part of this job. The long hours. You get paid a salary based off of your rank and time in service. Sometimes we work longer hours then what seems fair of what we make. Being at sea for long periods of time. As a Ballistic submariner we only go out for 3 months and come back. Once we are back in port we do a stores on load and the other crew takes the sub to sea for 3 months. See that's not all that bad. Perfect for a married man and in some cases woman. Since woman are now being integrated into the Ballistic Submarine force. A submarine however is not like a surface ship. On a surface ship you can have internet and the ability to contact your loved ones. On a submarine, once you are out at sea you do not exist. The purpose of a Ballistic Submarine is to be a nuclear deterrent therefore no one is allowed to know where you are at. There are times when you can wright an e-mail that will be sent off when the boat goes to periscope depth to receive orders from in land. This does not happen very often though. On a surface ship you learn about new movies coming out and other such things. Once you return to port on a submarine there is a bit of a culture shock. All of this is something you still get used to though. If you decide to go do something other then submarines you are constantly out at sea for 6-9 months. But even that has a benefit that Ballistic Submariners do not get. As a Ballistic submariner you go to a spot in the middle of the ocean designated by the chain of command and wait. You do not get to visit foreign countries. I have seen Hawaii 6 times and did not step foot on the island once. Once again though you are not out patrolling the oceans, you are a nuclear deterrent.
That was a lot of stuff that makes the job hard but the best part of the job is the new family I have. All of the knowledge that I have gained. My ending salary was 26,000 a year. I was in for 4 1/2 years and I was only an E-4. there was a time I was unable to advance because I missed the advancement test but 26,000 a year for an E-4 is a lot.
If the military interests you I have some advice for you. Obey your chain of command. If your early your on time, if your on time your late. Never be late! If you are single then the amount of money coming in can get a bit overwhelming. since you will live in the barracks you do not pay rent. If you are living in the barracks and you are E-3 or below you can get a rations card which gives you free meals at the galley. A lot of stuff will become free. DO NOT WASTE YOUR INCOME! So your room mate has a 42" HDTV. You don't need one. A small plasma t.v. will cost a lot less. Save your money!!!!! This is how a lot of sailors and soldiers get into debt. Buying all the things they wanted with out thinking about how it can impact their future. I was diagnosed with adult ADHD and got a general discharge under honorable conditions. I did not see this coming and now I have a 98 Ford Mustang Cobra I am trying to pay off. I didn't take in to account for having a family and a sports car is not a good family car. I also have another personal loan and a credit card that I am trying to pay off. The best way to live in the military is to configure a life based off of $8-$10 an hour income. All that extra money should be set aside. Remember you don't get rich by spending.
Good luck and stay safe future brother and sisters of the U.S. NAVY. – less
Culinary Specialist (Former Employee), San AntonioJuly 24, 2013
Duties: As a Culinary Specialist, I Operate and manage Navy messes, afloat and ashore, established to subsist Naval personnel. I estimate quantities and types of food items required, and assist Supply Officers in ordering and stowage of subsistence items and procurement of equipment and mess gear. Check delivery for quantity and assist medical personnel in inspection for quality. Prepare menus, and plan, prepare, and serve meals. Maintain food service spaces and associated equipment in a clean and sanitary condition, including storerooms and refrigerated spaces. Operate and manage shipboard living quarters and shore based hotel-type quarters

Management/ Operations: Facilities Operations Manager: Oversaw various operational aspects of a three complex, 762 room lodging facility to include million dollar renovations of room
design concepts and recreational lounges. Managed annual budget of $1.5 million dollars.
Front Desk Manager: Supervised 35 persons involved in front desk operations
And hospitality procedures for lodging facility. Experienced facilitator and trainer,
performed daily cash audits and prepared occupancy and utilization reports.
Kitchen Manager: Managed food production operations dining facilities and
10+employees, experienced with menu design and food sanitation. Inspection equipment and floor for cleanness and slippery hazards. All area are mopped properly and kept clear. Made sure all sharp blades where properly stored and temperature log kept update.
Inventory Control: Food stock Inventory Manager: Ordered, purchased, and maintained subsistence
Stock inventory – more... of 500 line items valued at $300K dollars.
Quality Assurance Officer: Inspected physical condition of equipment to maintain
Overall safe working conditions and environments; prepared discrepancy reports,
repair orders, and requisitioned equipment and consumable supplies.
Inventory Manager: Verified and kept records on inventories; tracked incoming/outgoing shipments, prepared items for shipping/storage.
Sanitation/ Health Workplace Inspector: Conducted inspection of permanent, temporary
Housing facilities for U.S. Navy; inspected facilities, equipment, accommodations,
And operating procedures, recommended improvements.
Food Service Sanitation Inspector: Developed lesson guides and taught basic food microbiology, causes and prevention of foodborne illnesses, sanitary standards for equipment and utensils, dishwashing, food preparation and handling, personal hygiene and health standards for food service personnel, food inspection and storage, and pest control in food service areas.
Environmental Compliance Inspector: Inspected food handling facilities to ensure that handling, storage, and disposal of fertilizers, pesticides, and other Hazardous chemicals conformed to regulations; conducted field tests.
Occupational Health and Safety Specialist: Investigated adequacy of
Ventilation, exhaust equipment, lighting, and other conditions that could affect
Employee health, comfort, or efficiency; conducted evaluations of exposure to
Ionizing and no ionizing radiation and to noise.

Feb/2002 General Mess Operation/Advanced Food Preparation (5 Weeks, 192 hour)
Tidewater Community College, Hampton Roads/Norfolk, Virginia 23704

May/1992 Diploma
South Aiken High School, Aiken, South Carolina 29803

U.S. NAVAL SCHOOLS College Hours: 8 Semester Hour American Council on Education Credit Recommendations: 53 Semester Hour Lower division Baccalaureate/associate degree category

Job Related Training
Service Sanitation Instruction Record Keeping
Advanced Culinary Techniques and Management

Honors, Awards
Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal
Southwest Asia Service Medal (With 2 Bronze Stars)
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Kuwait Liberation Medal
Sea Service Deployment Ribbon (7)
Meritorious Unit Commendation (3)
Navy Good Conduct Medal (4)
National Defense Service Medal (2)
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal – less
Logistics Manager
Department Manager (Current Employee), Jacksonville FLMarch 18, 2014
Responsible for manpower distribution, policy compliance, and the morale, welfare, well-being, education, and mentorship of 43 sailors in Supply Department. Chairperson for Professional Development, Sailor of the Quarter, Command Advancement Program, and Disciplinary Review Boards.

Secondary Duties: Responsible for effective Surface and Aviation Support operation, financial management, procurement, contracts, various logistics services, and inventory of 500 Surface and Aviation repairable materials worth over $1.9M, utilizing RSUPPLY/AIMS Database System.

Directed, initiated, implemented, and performed all logistics management operations onboard including demand forecasting and support requirements identification. Planned and coordinated logistics actions based on customers’ current and future demands to meet mission requirements. Reviewed and analyzed aviation support’s financial documentation, budget allocation, expenditures and cost performance reports, scheduled and tracked high-priority status and inspect reports, and open purchase documents and contract funds status reports. Evaluated asset inventories, process improvement project especially cost analysis and performance status and assessed current processes and techniques both supply and maintenance.

Coordinated and prepared various reports such as inventory reports, high priority and other critical requirements (Non-Operationally Ready-Supply) reports. Created presentations analyzing demands, open purchase contract status, initiated reports for performance metrics, internal and external customers’ trends, forecasting – more... that easily identified current and potential constraints.

Adapt to customers requirements through resources surveillance to ensure compliance with Contracting directives and regulations, and ethics on fair contractual award. Provided on site evaluation regularly and examined contractors and other material and services resources trends and data to validate consistency to the Navy. Regulated and a good steward of government or tax payers financial resources including budgets allocations to 32 Divisions/Work Centers.

Developed and maintained tracking mechanism for outstanding requisitions essential to various systems and monitored obligated expenditures. Coordinates all submissions of performance metrics to Type Commander into a consolidated budget and Operating Target (OPTAR) report. Prepares regular and special budget reports for Commanding Officer, Supply Officer, and Head Departments. Prepared estimates for cost proposals, and project/requirement justifications.

Oversaw and maintained financial records and journals of program or project operations. Prepared monthly financial documents and financial inputs from 32 Divisions/Work Centers for acquisition plans, presentations, and maintenance requirements.

Monitored the initiation of over 3,000 requisitions and the tracking and expeditious shipment of outstanding requisitions and small purchases contracts to meet customers deadline. Additionally, I ensured the satisfactory progress of each contract obligations, ensuring procedural compliance and conformity to the terms and conditions of these contracts.

Planned, directed and supervised the inventory of more than 2,500 stock line items worth over $9.8M dollars. Tracked and analyzed trends, issue, stow, and receipt processes in identifying inventory shortfalls. Developed key metrics and performance indicators that ease demand and inventory forecasting. Analyzed inventory inconsistencies or differences, reducing Gross Inventory Adjustments (GIA). Maintained a high level of material readiness and supply effectiveness. – less
Great way to learn about yourself while serving your country.
Operations Department Supervisor (Former Employee), New Orleans, LA; Willow Grove, PA; Pensacola, FLApril 29, 2013
Pros: work with people of all backgrounds, healthcare, travel the world, provided a chance to show your capabilities.
Cons: relocating every few years, missing many holidays
I spent 6 years on active duty with the United States Navy and had three different duty stations. My primary job was an aviation aircrewman which meant I would spend the majority of my work weeks on the road transporting personnel and cargo around the world via aircraft. When I wasn't on a mission traveling, I had a secondary responsibility to my Operations department. This office was responsible for ensuring that all the aspects required for each individual mission had been met. This included diplomatic clearance for every country our aircraft would be entering, lodging and transportation for the crew at every over night stop, and any other issues that should arise. Each mission was different due to each country having their own stipulations and requirements for entrance. While ensuring that all the requirements for each flight mission had been met, there were also monthly reports that needed to be updated reflecting the units monetary spending on the missions we supported. The majority of my work day while in the office required constant use of computers (Microsoft programs) and fax machines to transfer and receive information pertinent to our missions, while also verbally contacting the units that were requesting logistical support. Since our aircraft frequently have unexpected maintenance issues while on the road, there was always a constant need to update arrival/departure times at every destination on the manifest to reflect the new dates for the mission. There was always one person that carried a duty phone 24/7 so somebody from our department could be reached should – more... there be any issues that need to be addressed. In our department I was the acting supervisor and had 5 subordinates that worked directly under me that played a critical role to ensure that the missions departed and returned with as few issues as possible. Having earned respect from all of them made my job easier which meant the office functioned at a higher level and overall lead to a better work atmosphere and higher rate of productivity. All the staff members did terrific jobs to ensure efficiency and the highest percentage of mission completion possible. Working in an ever changing environment that required you to be flexible and adaptable has helped me to develop skills that I believe would make me a valuable asset to a company. From my experience, the most difficult part of the job came when the unit would do multiple month detachments overseas to provide logistical support for different parts of the world. While our unit would be temporarily stationed at different destinations for months at a time, this meant that the service members would have to leave their family members back at home and continue to do their job knowing that they would be gone for many months to come. The best part of the job was when our unit received recognition for the major role it played in providing year round logistical support for the U.S. military which was due in part from the contribution of everyone in the unit. I personally enjoyed every aspect of the United States Navy partly because it has molded me into the person I am today. Being able to take the bad with the good has given me a better understanding of how the work force really operates and that there are always going to be hurdles that need to be overcome. – less
Wouldn't recommend it personally
Help Desk Technician and Network Administrator (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAOctober 1, 2012
Pros: learn a lot, hands on experience, proactive
Cons: favoritism, lack of respect
A typical day at work on board the USS Bataan was its own experience, to be honest. There were five IT work centers, all of which were supposedly part of the same division, only three of which were similar in function. Two of those three, I was a part of: The Help Desk and the Network Operations Center (NOC).

In the Help Desk you were expected to, as one would expect, respond to user trouble calls and fix computer errors that users would experience. In the Network Operations Center, I would monitor the network and manage the network resources, performing any required maintenance and administrating user accounts. I enjoyed this job very much and actually liked getting out and talking to people as I repaired their computers. Fixing computers and network errors and making people happy as they were able to continue with their daily work was indeed a rewarding experience.

Though I enjoyed performing my job, there were many draw backs. Deployments are a thing to be expected in the military, and I don't have any complaints about being at sea for seven, or eleven as my 2011 deployment lasted four months longer than a normal deployment, months at a time, the management left much to be desired. Upon my immediate chain of command there were four chiefs, a senior chief, a warrant officer and an officer. Though they claimed to be a single division, they treated us as if we were two. The problem, however, was the incredibly obvious favoritism. One half of the division would be let out early while the other half was not. One half of the division was sent to clean while the other was not. – more... One half of the division would receive all extra schooling, even if the school would not benefit them for the job they were actually performing, and would be better suited going towards someone else. It was essentially a debacle of clueless decisions when it came to who was benefiting what and what would benefit who.

Though I can say the management was more than enough to leave a very bitter taste in my mouth, there were many things to learn from being on the USS Bataan. For one, there are many different kinds of people in this world from many different backgrounds and cultures and each one deserves the same respect you would expect from them. Another being that just because it's not your way of doing things, doesn't necessarily mean it's wrong or bad. There are things you can learn from anyone and you can never really stop growing. You learn really fast you need to be careful in your work and do what you can to be safe yet effective. You learn that there are right ways to do things and wrong ways to do things, and you can learn from other people's mistakes as well as your own, correct those mistakes and create a better way of doing things by taking those mistakes into account. To keep a record of all your work, because you never know what you'll need in the future. There are just too many things you list all on here at once!

The hardest part of my job was definitely having to deal with stubborn, stuck-up senior petty officers and officers that you honestly, with their ethic, or lack thereof, would have never thought could put on any rank at all. I've seen people with absolutely no skill or knowledge at all advance where others who were much, much more deserving should have. It was just a very disappointing environment to work in overall. – less
Military life is challenging
Corpsman, Petty Officer, E4 (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 4, 2014
Pros: had ever day structured from start to finish.
Cons: deployments were difficult on my family.
I have experience and knowledge of medical terms and procedures accomplished on day to day tasks with various clinics for active duty patients. I have worked and maintained Medical Records along with databases, tracking systems, and maintaining BUMED instructions, regulations according to HIPAA. While working as a supply officer I was personally responsible for the replacement materials and supplies ordered through military contractors and systems. Annual budget that was managed was $30,000 annually while working three years holding this position for Third Marines in Hawaii. As the Health Records Administrator I was responsible for maintenance of all records under my command. Duties performed included proper management of data recording, proper filling of medical documents, location tracking, and annual verification procedures. As Preventive Medicine Representative I performed immunization and chemoprophylaxis of active duty personal. Also among the duties was to record and manage immunization schedules according to regulation if immunization was a series set. Reports were necessary to email to Commanding Officers weekly to obtain over 95% accuracy rate in data basing with immunizations in the MRRS systems. Physical Exams Petty Officer was a job that I had to manage times and dates for active duty personnel to complete a full military physical for deployment, special duty assignments, or separation purposes. Among those duties I would draw blood for lab work submitted through CHCS. I also would have to perform their Audiograms and was responsible for daily calibrations of the – more... Audio Booth as an Audio Technician. As a Sick Call Corpsman I performed many procedures and had a lot of experience writing proper SOAP notes and aiding a Physician’s Assistant, Doctor, or Independent Duty Corpsman at any given time. At the time I had to perform physical assessments along with other procedures such as sutures, incision and drainage, nail removal, and performance of reductions or replacement of dislocated joints. While being a Training Petty Officer I was responsible for command briefs with content of deployment hazards, sexual transmitted disease awareness, and other military or medical knowledge according to the command schedule. As a MCMAP instructor with Marines I helped aid in training of the Marines Martial Arts Program in all levels of belt training Tan through Black belt. Helping Marines and Sailors obtain higher hanks throughout their time at commands I was attached to. As a FMF Corpsman I had to perform many of these duties on a daily basis. I was a part of a smaller command so the opportunity to learn all these skills was wide open. While in Iraq on my deployments I was the Field Medic and performed emergency medicine given the situation and had to take care of the Marines health when idle at the base or in the field. I may not have to perform these duties at the next position I hold but I will put the same effort to learn new material and my experience of teamwork to ensure that the job requirements are met and that the mission of the organization are satisfied or maintained. – less
Usually fun and interesting work, 10 months at sea often linked to low morale and irrational crewmen.
NCO, systems tech & security on Perry class FFGs (Former Employee), Bathe,Maine & Mayport, FloridaAugust 10, 2012
Pros: good advancement system, food, sense of purpose and cultural exposure.
Cons: too much time at sea, pay and long hours
A typical day usually meant constant drilling, systems maintenance and repair, supervising a variety of on demand work parties, rate and rank training, physical and educational training after hours, signing off crewmen on a variety of tasks, weapons training, fire fighting and damage control training, in port shore patrol, quarter deck as well as perimeter security details. Working with other departments under the newly formed minimum manning system, requisitioning parts required to service hi tech systems used in navigation, ship control and monitoring, aviation landing systems for helicopters, writing family and reading 3 month old mail, how to shower with two, five second bursts, etc.

Dealing with irrational crewman, difficulties with having to work shore patrol and other security details for my military duties and the associated political problems with crew at the end of the day. How to make things work when your at sea, thousands of miles from home, technical problem solving. Achieved an associates in electronics and many system certifications. Love for the UCMJ, greater understanding of my Country and what makes it special, having good friends with a common goal and bond is very important, as well as rewarding.

I was management my self and it varied from conscientious, hard working and trust worthy to self serving, back stabbing, back sliding, alcoholics just putting their time. For the most part, I respected my superiors and subordinates and was eager to help them when I could, they felt the same way about me. Some people were quick to prejudice me over age, rank and – more... time in service, the dues issue, enlisted as a teenager.

This varied a lot, Navy can be very clickish when it comes to associations and interactions with different departments. Being an NCO and having to work with shore patrol often makes you the guy most people would rater avoid, in fear of you learning of a weakness or not having any reason to get to know you because your duties are different. I had systems all over the ship so my biggest problem was that I couldn't be in three places at once and people only care about their problem. My best experience was new ship construction, positive, hard working crew. My worst experience was a vetted crew with a variety of sins and bad attitudes from being at sea to long.

Being forced to discipline a fellow shipmate and live on board with his resentment and often that of his friends. Not being home for three years due to needs of Navy, critical rank. I believe in the rules and held myself to them but this puts you at odds with most, little support at times, depends on Command and personnel. Too much time at sea.

I enjoyed trouble shooting problems, advancement, different sights, supervising details, helping others, systems training, weapons training, being respected and serving my Country. – less
A New Horizon
Machinist Mate in Engineering Department (Former Employee), San DiegoAugust 18, 2015
Pros: Benefits and Pay
Cons: Time away from family
A typical day in the United States Navy is never typical. Every new day is an adventure either being in your homeport or over seas. Usually hours are twelve on and twelve off with the exception 24 hour duty or if its your turn to take the rounds. In that case your working for eighteen hours out of the twenty four hour period.

I would wake up about 0530am to be ready and pass on the plan of the day at 0700am, as this usually means I would begin about 0645, so our chiefs and officers can pass on any information they seem fit on us knowing. This pow wow includes planned maintenance, upcoming events, training, and what not. After this task is completed the team would break up into groups while I go back to the office to complete paperwork and shift quarterly maintenance, testing, overall scheduling to fit the recent activities and deadlines provided. Once the paperwork is completed it is time to make the rounds. I would visit each team and project to answer questions, provide insight, and my personal favorite turn wrenches. To me nothing says leadership unless leading from the front. If and when a project is complete or ahead of schedule I would get the team together and either work ahead of schedule or simply provide training, being on Quality Assurance or Methods, improving ones technical skill. By this time its lunch. Time to unwind and stare at the seas while reflecting on many items.

Ok back to work. Training is completed we are ahead of our maintenance schedule and start to plan up a new project when that god sent voice comes from the loud speaker and indicates some – more... important information. Nerves are heightened , Our focus is elite, and a swarm of controlled chaos begins. See I forgot to tell you that
at this time we are off the coast of Japan during the month of March year 2011. While keeping focused on our tasks we have already engaged in providing relief to the victims of the Fukushima Tsunami. The sights are devastating and the sense of humanity is overwhelming. You donate what you can, either being your blanket, your items sent from home, and even your own clothes, as you personal items no longer carry a value. Its game time and we are ready for orders. The new incident was the Daiichi Plant. I went back to my spaces and got to work. At this point I can not disclose anything else but I can say ingenuity and a sense of accomplishment leads me to answer these questions.

A typical day is not really typical, Learning is a everyday experience, management is only as good as the team they assemble, co workers are as good as management allows them to be, the hardest part of the job is what you make it to be, and last be not least the most enjoyable part of the job is looking back at the events that a resilient group of people will carry with them for their remaining years and even without the physical awards say it was a job well done. – less
Interior Communications Electrician - IC2
Interior Communications Electrician 2nd Class (Current Employee), Newport News, VirginiaMay 20, 2014
Current Assignment: USS Abraham Lincoln, CVN 72. 09/10 to Present
Awarded the IC position at the culmination of an 8-week basic training and an additional 36 weeks of intensive, specialized IC and IVCN training. Currently serve as a Military Interior Communications Electrician analyzing AC & DC circuits; using basic principles of analog electronic circuits as well as digital electronic circuits; and troubleshooting electronic communications systems. Operated, maintained, and repaired the stabilizer gyrocompass, SITE TV, as well as the integrated voice communication network system on board the ship. Performed organizational level maintenance on single-node Definity G3 series or MultiVantage-based IVCN systems. Operated the IVCN Computerized Interior Voice Communications system equipment consisting of breaker panels, power supplies, power distribution unit, common control and matrix racks, switchboard, batteries, automatic dial terminals, sound-powered phone interface, and the Private Branch Exchange (PBX) Telecommunications switch. Required basic networking knowledge and skills necessary to set up and maintain S8700 Media Servers within a single-node IVCM system, all interfaces, voice mail, call accounting, and integrated user terminal information. Isolates, identifies, and takes appropriate maintenance action through the utilization of on and off line tests, test equipment, and user complaints. Ensures 24-hour-a-day operation during ship readiness conditions I through V.

Supervised the junior enlisted members in the CS8 and PM 28 shop. Provided subordinates with daily instruction – more... as to be the tasks to be completed for that day. Also, provided with guidance for their naval careers and counseled them when they were not performing up to standards. Operated and performed organizational and intermediate maintenance on alarm, warning, and indicator systems; interior communications; and ship's control, entertainment, and navigation systems. Operated, troubleshot and performed on interior communication systems, navigation systems, Syncro Servo systems, alarm sensing devices, and auxiliary power systems; collected alarm, safety and warning systems maintenance data and Bell ordering systems; documented equipment status; maintained fiber optic cables and connectors, and administrative records; operated visual landing aid systems; collected ships speed system data, value positioning indicators, wind speed and direction systems; inspected work area, tools and electronic systems equipment; interpreted blueprints and ships drawing, electronic schematics, mechanical drawings, and technical manuals; maintains networking systems, pneumatic air systems, ships console control systems and steering control systems. – less
no such thing as a typical day in the navy
Electronic Technician Lead (STS2) (Former Employee), Bangor, WashingtonNovember 11, 2014
Pros: best benefits you can get
Cons: lack of freedom
some days are spent training, others are spent working on various electronic equipment.
I learned so much! I by the time I left, I was the tech expert, training others how to be a sonar technician, often collaborated with the foreman on what the best way to go about do a job would be. For example: one of out servers had crashed and after exhausting all troubleshooting procedures the server still would not work. The foreman (chief, for those who understand navy), had given up and decided to call contractors to fix it for us. I laid out a plan as to how I would complete my own, more detailed, troubleshooting process. He liked it and let me go at it. I found what the problem was, a port on one of the servers had gone bad, luckily there was another port that I could use. switched ports and the system booted up fine.
Another example: a switch had gone bad on a legacy piece of equipment (fathometer), the replacement of this switch was not covered by any procedure, so I wrote one. It passed all checks and is in use today onboard the USS Alabama SSBN 731.
Anytime there was an issue that nobody could figure out, and I mean anyone in any electronics field, they would seek me out and pick my brain. I became the system expert of many systems, a few of which did not belong to my division (workgroup/shop), simply because nobody else could figure it out.
I have a natural ability to figure things out, where training may lack, I make up in my intuitive nature.
I work very well with others, I love to workload share when allowed. I have miles and miles of patience (part of why I am good at figuring – more... things out).
Management, was ok, you can imagine how they are in the military, I now have extremely thick skin.
loved every one of my co-workers, some people need more help than others, im known as the glue that keeps everyone together. When I first got to my last boat, there was a lot of drama in my division, as well as people who hated being in this state. I brought everyone together by taking them out camping in the Olympic mountains, they loved it so much, we all became quick friends and all of them have stayed in Washington or moved back to Washington.
Hardest part of the job, I gave up my freedoms to be in the military, they rule every aspect of you life inside and out. Also, being away from my family in an isolated environment for months at a time.
The most enjoyable part of my job is the coolest part of my job is the things I did and cant talk about. not to mention, I worked on a submarine, how cool is that!? Not to toot my own horn, I really think that was quite enjoyable to see my boat in dry-dock and think about how I take that thing deep under the water. They trust ME to guide them safely to their destinations.
Nice to be a free man though. – less
Life in the Navy
Paralegal (Former Employee), Bremerton, WAJune 17, 2014
I spent just shy of 8 years in the United States Navy, joining when I was only 19 years old. When I first started, I worked in the weapons magazines, with all of the bombs and missiles on board an aircraft carrier. I also worked in an office, and while my title was still "Aviation Ordnanceman, I was working in the capacity of an executive assistant. I switched jobs to become a paralegal, or in the Navy, a "Legalman."
While deployed, we worked 12 hours on, 12 hours off. In port, we only worked half days, being able to work until only 1:00 and then going home.
As a Legalman at sea, my job ranged all over, from reviewing cases and deciding how to charge people, writing up charges, informing the accused of their rights and charges, acting as liaison between the local courts when sailors were charged off base, administratively separating personnel from the Navy, notarizing documents, preparing documents for Court-Martial, answering questions from other sailors on board regarding divorce, child custody, or any other issues they may have had. I drafted brief sheets for the attorneys in IRAC form, performed research for the attorneys using LexisNexis. This was all in addition to the daily requirements of cleanliness and maintenance on ladderwells, CO2 bottles, and air-tight doors, and, of course, painting.
As far as management goes, the military structure is very different than civilians. Everything is done by rank, which makes things much easier. And of course, the more you advance in the military, the more you have to manage others.
As we all know, you can't exactly pick your co-workers, – more... and when you are deployed together for 8 months at a time, they can make or break you. It wasn't always easy to get along with them (mostly because you have to live with them, too), but the navy is a unique community, in that your co-workers will have your back. Regardless any disagreements, we would look out for each other. It was necessary in that type of environment.
The hardest part of the job is easy to say: it was the deployments. Being away from your family for 6-9 months straight, coming home and having to work late while the ship is in dry dock, or even having to go underway for weeks between deployments is what really takes a toll on you and your family. That is the main reason that I decided to separate from the Navy.
The part that I loved the most, though, was the camaraderie that you formed with your shipmates. The amount of diversity that you encounter while in the navy is amazing. I had the opportunity to meet people and experience cultures that I otherwise would never have been given the chance to do. I also loved my job as a paralegal. It was extremely rewarding to me to be able to help my shipmates when they had a question, or an issue back home that they didn't know how to handle. – less
Crytpologic Technician (Current Employee), Aurora, CoMarch 29, 2014
Pros: everything
Cons: nothing
Attended Joint Cyber Analysis Course (JCAC). Trained in Computer Network Operations (CNO) and cyber warfare. Developed requirements understanding, implementation and utilization of proven Computer Network Defense (CND) and Computer Network Exploitation (CNE) techniques and methodologies. Trained in Active Exploitation, CND and Information Assurance including; technical concepts, hacking methodologies, packet analysis, malware, enumeration, encryption technologies and firewall and IDS implementations.
Managed 20 personnel in the detection and reaction to threats of national security networks. Implemented proven defensive stature against external and internal threats through the use in-depth technical and non-technical means. Provided tactical communications and network security for Special Operations units forwarded deployed to the Middle East.
Lead a 6 personnel team in digital network analysis and target development of an extremely high priority target in support of various military operations. Devoted over 5,300 hours of research, network forensics, and analysis to provided valuable intelligence to the United States Navy, NSA, CIA, and the FBI. Uncovered complex internetworking schemes and layouts that resulted in the production of 35 digital network intelligence reports, which changed national policy three times. Identified previously unknown network access points that enabled highly specialized and crucial collection for combat support for the Global War on Terrorism. Provided training to 30 personnel on five network analysis tools, which improved analysts’ content search – more... capabilities and increased overall mission productivity by 30%. Advised on information security matters, aided in the determination of classification of data, and provided guidance ensuring all personnel were familiar with correct storage procedures of classified material in compliance with the NSA/CSS Classification Manual 1-52.
Responsible for receipt, processing, and distribution of SI Communications support to the USS Belleau Wood (LHA-3), The Eleventh Marine Expeditionary Unit, and Expeditionary Strike Group Three. Operated eight automated message handling systems to include data, video, and voice circuits. Provided training to seven personnel in all areas of shipboard communications which resulted in improved operator’s knowledge of fleet operations and created shift time flexibility. Accountable for the operation, performance, and disaster recovery the ships TS/SCI local area network, through maintenance of the primary and backup domain servers, disk array, router, and workstations. – less
A great experience with good training
Interior Communications Electrician 3rd Class (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJuly 7, 2013
Pros: the experience, training, college money
Cons: constantly going away
The Navy kept me very busy and was constantly changing. It started with boot camp, then A School, and then off to my ship. A typical work day was similar to any normal civilian job as it was Monday-Friday, 7:30-4:00 with duty once a week, but as soon as we went out to sea that all changed. Our schedule was constantly rotating, we were doing drills all the time, and stuff was constantly breaking, all on top of our regular daily responsibilities.

There was so much that I learned while in the Navy. I was a Interior Communications Electrician and we had a lot of equipment on the ship. There was not one space onboard that did not have at least one piece of equipment that we worked on. It could have been as small as a door alarm, a phone, or a float for a flood alarm, and as big or as important as ship navigation equipment and steering equipment.

I also did a lot growing up while serving in the Navy. I was 21 when I joined and I had to sacrifice a lot. My life changed completely and I learned a lot more about responsibility, hard work, commitment, and I learned to appreciate things that I took for granted like my freedom or having a steady easy job.

We had a chain of command that we had to use for our management. If we jumped over anybody in that chain then we could have gotten in trouble. We were allowed to go to whoever we wanted as most people had open door policies but if possible we were expected to first use our Shop Supervisor then our Lead Petty Officer. After that came our Chief or Senior Chief, and finally our Division Officer. Each person had their own set of responsibilities – more... and own set of expectations.

The hardest part of the job was constantly having to go away. When we were in port we would constantly go out to sea to do work ups, run drills, get certified, and so much more for weeks at a time. And then when it was time to be deployed we would be gone for 6-9 months. My deployment lasted 8 months and I handled it all pretty well but it was really hard on any significant other that I had. None of my relationships in the Navy lasted and it was because I was constantly gone. That is one of the reasons why I did not reenlist.

The most enjoyable part of the job was all of the experiences that I gained and the people that I met. I grew up so much, got to go to different countries, go to different places, make some friends that I never would have, got some really good training and schooling, got to serve my country, and also got college money for when I got out. The Navy is not for everybody but I am very glad that I gave it a try and would recommend it for anyone that is considering doing it. – less
Supervisor / Manager: Technical manager for a department, coordinating shop activities and serving as the lead technical advisor for Naval Weapons Sy
Law Enforcement Specialists, Armorer, SAMI,CSWI (Current Employee), Little Creek VAJuly 29, 2012
o Each day consists of a new and interesting mixture of managing the logistics, material and work load of 8 co-workers in 4 different job specialties. It is my duty to inventory the issued and received ammunition, small arms, crew served weapons and ammunition. Along with that I am responsible for a daily inventory and maintenance of all weapons, ammunition, and fire suppression systems. I maintain all AA&E spaces, conducting physical security surveys to maintain 100% compliance with Explosive Safety Training verifications (ESTAV) and Conventional Ordnance Safety Reviews (COSER). I maintain the duty roster in accordance with the current threat level. I also perform daily training on the Use of Deadly Force and Use of Force Continuum, constantly educating the crew. I am responsible for training the crew members and maintaining their qualification certificates for the employment of OC spray and tactical communications for all armed centuries; and the operation, employment, remedial action and maintenance of crew served weapons and the 25mm chain guns. Out to sea I aided to the safe navigation of my crew and ship standing the Officer of the Deck Under Instruction (the third in command in my ship) as I was standing watch as Conning Officer (driving the ship) in the Arabian Gulf. I also served as RHIB Boat Coxswain (operating the 7 meter rigid-inflatable hull) for boat operations, boat transfers and VBSS missions.

o I have learned that it doesn’t matter how many times I teach something, I can always learn from who I am teaching if I keep an open mind to their questions and comments. – more... I have also learned to prioritize well, and anticipate what will be needed. In a job as busy as this, it is paramount to stay flexible.

o The hardest part of my position is to understand and manage personnel from different trades, I may not know the technical parts of the job I am assigning to them, but must manage their time and know what is able to be accomplished and what needs improvement.

o The thing I most enjoy in my job is seeing my co-workers grow in knowledge and rank, knowing that I have guided and trained them well. For the past three years, as a crew we have achieved the highest scores out of a 12 Ship Squadron in every graded evolution from outside assessors and Commanders. This has been achieved by maintaining a positive environment and learning from each other to function as a strong and successful team. – less
Everyone should serve at least a few years.
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJune 6, 2015
Pros: Free lunch, Wonderful benefits, great discipline, college credits, skills in the civilian world, long lasting friendships with memories to last you forever, uniform allowance, paid vacation, the list goes on.
Cons: Stressful work environments.
My time in the Navy was wonderful. It taught me discipline, a wonderful work ethic, respect for those over me, helped me build some character, how to work hard (even under strenuous conditions) and how to strive for excellence in any job and/or position. The Navy helped me to be strong and helped me build a stronger love for my Country. Not once did I ever detest the Navy nor my previous commands, the people I worked with were real and on a real level. No sugar-coating, no lying and all working for the better of the Navy and its sailors. Need it be help, all we had to do was ask and we would receive instruction and/or be pointed in the right direction. Management was firm and for a military branch everyone needed to be. We had to remain professional about all we did not only for appearance but for our discipline and structure. No time for child's play nor Lolly-gagging. My work team was friendly, everyone striving to make sure we knew our jobs, the equipment, were up to date with the latest instructions and were up to standards with our uniforms and our health. A typical day included us waking up very early (for some much more early than others), then we would manage our hygiene, eat breakfast and head straight for our role-call. we would work from the early morning into the evening (some nights later than others depending on situation or workload) and would have lunch at a certain time in the day. We always worked in shifts, some scheduled to stay during the nights, others not. It was a fair and organized schedule as always and everyone had a job and their own duty. depending – more... on station, after working hours, those who didn't have the rotational night shift would be able to switch from uniform of the day to civilian clothes and relax for the rest of the day to see their families or spend their recreational time otherwise. The hardest part of the job was working under stressful environments. The military wasn't about some sale going wrong; lives were at stake! To some, that information is overwhelming. There was no room for mistakes. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning all the things I could, be it Naval history, standards, the equipment, how to defend myself and how to strive for excellence. My time with my coworkers was especially cherished. – less
Great place to start a solid foundation for life, expect to work hard.
Food and Beverage Manager (Former Employee), WorldwideMay 15, 2014
Pros: endless networking opportunities and great benefits
Cons: short breaks, long hours, time away from family
Typical day for a Chef in the Navy: Get to work on oncoming watch days at 6 am and stay until 8 pm turning and burning in the kitchen. Expect to be stationed at some places where you will be cooking for 3,000 to 5,000 people. Kitchen has to be cleaned immaculately after every single meal so don't expect to many breaks. Your working hours will be close to a 90 hour work week at sea and a 40 hour work week when on shore duty. There are no weekends off when stationed on a ship, you will work until you stop at a port, then get a couple of days off for rest and relaxation. Being away from family and friends for 6 to sometimes 9 months at a time is the hardest part of the job. When you rank up to a management position you can not fire any employees and hire new ones, you must learn to work with what you have and develop your personnel or you will have a tough time. Keep in mind that everyone wants to succeed in life, everyone has the basic desire to do well, you are the instrument that must motivate them and bring out your people best attributes. Some will be skilled in other areas, use their skills to benefit your organization. Seek help from mentors of higher positions when in doubt, most are willing to assist you. Keep your bosses informed of what is going on, if it seems trivial they still need to know, send the trivial summaries via email anything that is of significance call them directly or inform them face-to-face. I can not possibly put into words all that I learned, I can tell you that all people are unique and that they should be approached in that way, there is no formula – more... that will be applicable to every person and you will have to adjust your management styles to cater to their needs or your organization will not reach its full potential. The parts that I enjoyed the most was developing winning teams and learning about different cultures throughout the world. People are amazing and the various ways we all interact is exciting. A innocent word or gesture can offend or delight a person from a different culture or background. I have found that it always great to embrace new cultures, you learn so much and people are always excited about sharing their culture with you, they want you to learn about them. This is also true in regards to food and beverage, what people eat and drink tells so many stories about the past, simpy amazing and so much fun.. – less
Electrician's Mate Nuclear (Submarines)
ELECTRICIAN'S MATE (NUCLEAR) (Current Employee), Kings Bay Base, GAOctober 20, 2014
Pros: unparalled training, the smartest and most hard-working peers you will ever meet, the experience of being a salty submariner
Cons: the navy has a terrible business model, low compensation in comparison with respective civilian jobs, loss of autonomy due to being in the military, leaders which you cannot change or transfer from
I spent 6 years in the US Navy, ultimately serving as an Electrician's Mate Nuclear on a ballistic missile submarine.

EM's own essentially every major electrical piece of equipment on a submarine, from components directly related to power production (Turbine generators/motor-generators), to appliances (Hot-plates/ovens in the galley), and essentially everything in between.

As such, the life of a submarine electrician is most probably one of the hardest jobs which requires both an extremely high level of knowledge and an immense amount of grunt work. I think a coal miners job is worse than mine, however, the coal miner isn't expected to have a high level of knowledge and work at an hourly rate which is much lower than his civilian counterpart.

Not only will you troubleshoot and repair equipment that is constantly breaking, but you will have scheduled periodic maintenance that is mind-numbing and long (Consider wiping out the inside of a motor-generator twice a month for 8+ hours straight).

On top of maintenance, you will stand watch as part of a team operating a nuclear reactor, either critical or shutdown. This is probably the most rewarding part of the job. I truly enjoyed being a nuclear operator.

During intense maintenance periods, such as refueling of the reactor core or shipyard availabilities, it will NOT be uncommon for you to work 14+ hour days, without weekends off, for the same pay you always receive, because you are salaried.

Lastly, on a submarine, you will stand a 24 hour duty day, in which you cannot leave the close proximity of the boat, usually every 3 – more... days, but sometimes you will be Port and Starboard, meaning you will have duty every other day.

In conclusion, the only, let me reiterate, only reason that a person should be a US Navy Submarine Electrician is so that they know once they survive the paces of their tour, that no job that they will ever have again will be as bad. The civilian opportunities that the naval nuclear community affords a person are essentially endless, but I would recommend being a Nuclear Electronic's Technician or Machinist Mate before an EMN. – less
Exciting and challenging
Gas Turbine Systems Technician-Mechanical (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 6, 2013
Operates, repairs, and performs maintenance on mechanical components of gas turbine engines, main propulsion machinery, auxiliary equipment, and propulsion control systems.

Troubleshoots and performs maintenance on hydraulic, electrical, and propulsion systems of a gas turbine; using schematic diagrams, drawings, charts, and blueprints; fabricates and installs both high-and low-pressure tubing and hose; maintains logs and records; uses computer software.

Repairs hydraulic system components and pneumatic/hydraulic systems; repairs and maintains low-pressure air compressors, and gas turbine reduction gear clutching assemblies; tests propulsion fuels and lubricants; makes pitch and
valve adjustments; replaces seal rings; overhauls pumps; prepares and maintains daily fuel and water reports; requisitions supplies and equipment; operates propulsion console equipment.

Supervises propulsion machinery spaces; coordinates and controls operations of engineering control systems at the central control station; supervises the receiving, transferring, discharging, and storage of propulsion fuels and lubricants; trains and supervises personnel in the operation of engineering control systems; maintains, inspects, and monitors all systems; maintains records and prepares maintenance schedules.
Responsible for the safe and effective operation of LCAC engineering, auxiliary, and propulsion equipment.

Supervised all fueling and engineering casualty control evolutions.
Maintained all engineering documentation. To include Lube Oil/Fuel Oil quality control and Gas Turbine Engine records

Performed – more... and supervised various craft inspections and accomplishment of maintenance, modifications, and repair of engineering, auxiliary, and propulsion equipment to AGM, Textron, and SLEP LCAC

Provided advanced individual and crew qualification training to LCAC crew members

Monitored individual and crewmember skills through an annual recertification program including craft differences (AGM,Textron, SLEP) to individuals and crews.

Improved LCAC operations by coordinating changes to applicable manuals and standardized LCAC operations through coordination of training between each LCAC ACU.

Provided LCAC technical training and provided advance classroom and operational training for LCAC maintenance personnel and crewmembers. – less
Took me places I'd only dreamed of, helped me build a family!
Various (Former Employee), VariousJanuary 30, 2013
Pros: training, pay and benefits, people you meet, places you'll go...
Cons: being away from home, coming back to the us (integration)
I joined the Navy in 1992 having lived in a small California town with few solid employment options. I can honestly state that it was the BEST decision I have ever made although it was not always easy.

Aboard ship, the work was typically long and without much sleep, at least during the first year or so as I found which job I wanted (I entered as a deck seaman).

My first stint on shore duty was in Bahrain and while I did not necessarily enjoy the job, I loved the location. Following this, I returned state side as a civilian but re-entered shortly after getting married (only 5 months out). With my wife and kids in tow (instant family), we took up residence in Washington state for the next 5 years. Following this, a 3 year tour in Guam with another year in Cuba and 3 more in Fort Worth, TX.

Here is what you can learn in the Navy:

- Cultures. Expect to travel, expect to meet quite a few different people. And expect to have fun while doing it!
- A job skill, maybe even complete a degree. I held several different "hats" while in the service AND was able to complete a degree (took me 18 years, however). The GI Bill went to my son...
- About yourself. I learned more about myself in the service than I could have ever learned living a "normal" life back home.
- Adaptability. You will learn skills which will enable you to adapt to adversity. This goes for any service.
- Teamwork. I learned how to work with others, many of whom were from a much different background than mine.
- People. Given your interactions with a diverse range of individuals, you'll find out how much in common you – more... have with somebody who calls Uzbekistan home, for example.
- Family. Not all of us who served came from an "ideal" home situation or background, but no matter what your history, if you could follow a few simple rules, you found a family in the service!

Your co-workers and management are just like anything else, you will get along with some better than others but at the end of the day, it's just people and everybody has a job to do. The best part, no matter how much you dislike a certain assignment, one thing is for certain, you won't be there forever.

The toughest part of the job was leaving and it was time for me to go...

For me personally, the most enjoyable part of the job was the travel (26 countries) and self discovery which took place along the way.

All of the services are great, I chose the Navy... – less
An excelent career for teaching discipline and real life business practices
Electronics Technician (Former Employee), San DiegoAugust 1, 2013
Pros: schooling, healthcare, job security, honor, knowledge, discippline
Cons: not choosing where to go, can't change who i worked for or with
A typical day of work would include an office meeting in the morning concerning what the agenda for the day would include. As the week progressed, maintenance would become our direct prerogative. Getting the things done that were already "planned", would give leeway for any unexpected work loads. At the end of the week I would review the maintenance schedule and check all of the equipment to make sure everything was at a 100% readiness.

I biggest thing I learned from working as an electronics technician was learning how to troubleshoot effectively and efficiently. Anytime there were planned maintenance or corrective maintenance issues, I would learn a little bit more about the gear. I also learned how to work with coworkers sufficiently. Using other coworkers as a resource learned to be a beneficial asset to the division.

I learned to be an effective leader by gaining responsibility early in my career. I started out as a one man supervisor and worked my way up to a 40 person work group. As a supervisor I was able to conquer the stress of having subordinates as well as supervisors. I would strive to keep both sides of the work force happy while ensuring an effective readiness for the ship. The leap from technician to supervisor brought many responsibilities and challenged me to do my best.

The co-workers I worked with all had the knowledge and basic electronics training I had. The only difference would be a specialization in their respected system or sub-system that they went to school for. A typical division of technicians would include a group of 30 people or less, depending – more... on how much equipment they were responsible for.

The hardest part of the job were the unexpected work loads. We worked on large equipment that required a lot of corrective maintenance due to many different types of wear and tear. Sometimes a part would break and we would have to wait for a part to be delivered to the middle of the ocean.

The most enjoyable part of the job had to be fixing the equipment. The longer I worked on a fault, the more rewarding it was to defeat the challenge of fixing it. I also enjoyed the learning experience it brought me, I wouldn't be the person I am today without going through all the obstacles the Navy threw at me. – less
San Diego, CA, United States