U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Great
Leadership Team Member (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 20, 2018
My time on active duty was great. But as with any job there are there ups and downs. Made many new friends seen many countries and miss my times as a sailor
Some people should not be meant to lead no matter how long they have been in there should also be better leadership training programs
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 20, 2018
The navy was a lot of fun but lacks leadership real leadership not just putting someone in a position because it must be filed should have a way to have younger generation have a chance to step up and lead
A nice stepping stone
Aviation Maintenance Administration (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 20, 2018
The hardest part of the job was being away from family during deployments. I learned a lot about aviation maintenance and a lot about the importance of structure.
Benefits
Cons
Being away from family
awesomr
Recruit Training Command - Seaman Recruit (Former Employee) –  Great Lakes, ILJanuary 20, 2018
it was an awesome place to work, if you want structure, and a career. i you can handle a high stress environment with little to no family contact then you will be fine.
i hated it.
United States Navy (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 20, 2018
i hated it. it was a stepping stone, I'm writing this now wondering why i have to write this? this is ridiculous. i hated the job and thats that. dd214 here i come.
Overall experience was extremely challenging and rewarding
Ship's Fire Marshal (Former Employee) –  Naval Station Norfolk, VAJanuary 20, 2018
Every day was a new challenge being part of the ship's repair division on a nearly thirty-year old warship.
Learned a broad range of valuable skills and knowledge through various, first-hand experiences, on the job training and specialized training facilities.
Military Background
Information Systems Technician (Former Employee) –  USAJanuary 20, 2018
I love my time in the United States Navy. It was an awesome experience and helped me prepare for civilian life. Hardest part was
family separation.I enjoyed seeing the world
Stable job, offers advancement
Sonar Technician (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 20, 2018
Stable job that offers good benefits, always room to advance. Advancement is based off of a time scale and evaluation technique. Management varies from boat to boat, downside is you can not change who your management is, they don't typically get relocated or fired and there is not formal complaint system. You are usually just stuck with a bad manager.
Pros
benifits and steady pay
Cons
Mentality, stress, management
Do your 4 years and run!!!
COMMAND FINANCIAL SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 20, 2018
The military benefits are worth the 4 years but the 4 years are trying on your finances, personal life, and overall sanity. I don't recommend this job anyone that just needs a job. You really have to want to do this.
Benefits
Cons
Deployments, Leadership (most), Overworked and Underpaid
Great 20 years
Hospital Corpsman / Preventive Medicine Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 20, 2018
20 years flew by.

Learned many things

Some management were inappropriate, but most were awesome.

Best part was meeting so many different people from different walks of life.
Job for Patriots
Nuclear Machinist Mate Senior Chief Petty Officer (Current Employee) –  VariousJanuary 20, 2018
The Navy gives you two things- a job with a purpose and life long friends. While I used the word job, career or calling would be more appropriate.

When stationed onboard Ships or Submarines, work hours can be grueling, but again, there is a purpose. Sea duties are interspersed with shore duty that more resembles a conventional job, and allows you to recharge.

Few other companies give you what the Navy is able to- in addition to being well compensated, it gives you training in potentially high tech fields, and a multitude of soft skills.

While the Navy isn't for everyone, it can be a very rewarding career.
Working with United States military personnel to protect and serve
Intelligence Technician Seaman (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 19, 2018
A fantastic career with many sailors and persons involved in operations working together for the goal of protecting and serving the United States of America
It was cool
BOATSWAIN'S MATE 3RD CLASS (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 19, 2018
It was cool. Just go to work ready to work. No command is the same as the other, so do not get comfortable and do not compare commands. Be ready always.
Hard work
AT/Morale Warfare Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 19, 2018
The military allowed me to travel the world and get paid to do it. My time was spent well and enjoyable. I learned a lot and I continue to use the skilled I was taught.
Pros
Guaranteed pay
Cons
Long hours and a lot of travel
loved the Navy
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJanuary 19, 2018
was a great experience to have but all work and almost no personal life is not the choice I could live with, and with the Iraq war heating up I decided to get out.
Pros
Great travel
Cons
Lonnnnnng work days
Outstanding benefits and job security!
Information Operations (IO) Planner (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 19, 2018
Great place to work and gain new skills! Typical workday may vary based on your job. Deploying is challenging but visiting other countries is great!
Pros
Job security, great health benefits, retirement plans, advancement opportunity
Cons
Long hours and can be stressful
Navy is a great place to work
Retail sales and Customer service oriented roles (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJanuary 19, 2018
The Navy is a great place to work, but very competitive. You must study hard and work hard to become good at what you do. You get 30 days a year paid leave, which is outstanding.
Ok job
Gunners Mate (Former Employee) –  NorfolkJanuary 19, 2018
It was a very stressful and under paid job it was fun and enjoyable some of the time is not for everyone but just mixed feelings about it due to my experience
its the Military....
MM3- Engine operator and fireman (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 19, 2018
when i was leaving it seem liike they were in the middle of change. the old navy was tough, loyal and fun. if you cant afford school join! I hear the Navy is way to easy on there recuits. People in bootcamp have feelings now haha! Any old Vet know what im talkking about.
Production and Stressful at times.
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 19, 2018
A typical day at work was busy. I learned several skills that I can use in the future. Management was very supportive. Workplace culture was fast paced.
Pros
na
Cons
na

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Navy. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4