U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Found 17,307 reviews matching the search
Required
IT Contract Technical Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 28, 2017
No comment. Difficult work life balance. May sacrifices will be required. Pay should be increased. Benefits could be better.
Hard part of jobs leaving family.
Go Navy
Petty Officer 2nd Class (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMay 27, 2017
I traveled a lot, got to meet a lot of new people. It was fun and hard work, but well worth it. I recommend the navy for anyone who has discipline and loves to travel.
Very long hours but their are fun filled moments
En3 (engineman) (Former Employee) –  Norfolk Naval Station, VAMay 27, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting various characters of people. The workplace culture was of all business and serious which really taught me values about myself.
Pros
free food
Cons
pay not the best
Stressed out and underpaid.
Nuclear Machinist Mate (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 27, 2017
Don't get me wrong, the experience I gained is priceless on the current job market. The pay is good and benefits if you work 40 hrs a week. Currently in shipyard and my weeks are about 140 hrs. 3 section duty takes its toll on outside life. I have never worked a 40 hour week. maybe 2 or three times I got away with 60 but not often. The job is demanding and not everyone is cut out for it.
It was the military
Workcenter Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 27, 2017
Indeed wants a review here. It was the military. Everything you have heard is probably true. It's exactly as bad and exactly as good as you have heard from anyone who joined.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Death
Great experience for all
First Class Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MSMay 27, 2017
After serving for 20 years the Navy is ever changing. The military isn't for everyone but I would Highly recommend it for any looking for a jump start on life. Great travel and benefits.
Has changed
Supervisor, Electrical Mechanical Technician (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 27, 2017
Military overall has gone through some changes. It is not as disciplined as it once was. The pay is good, but it comes along with separation from your family. Management all depends on the command you are at.
Stay Away
Construction Mechanic/ Operator (Current Employee) –  Port Hueneme, CAMay 27, 2017
There is reasons why everyone i know is getting out. The military is now just a big baby sitting company. They promote the worst people and force out the good people.
Unsure
Intelligence Specialist (Former Employee) –  Great Lakes Naval Training Center, ILMay 27, 2017
I had a very different experience than those who are lucky enough to go and serve for our country. I was separated so I was not able to see much of the service.
Motivated the team daily
Information Systems Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 27, 2017
Management of Sailors from daily taskings to mentoring senior personnel on establishing evaluations for divisional Sailors.
Learned about different cultures throughout the world through mutliculture committees and countries we have visited.
Always try to establish a good moral envirnoment and establish short and long term goals for our unit to reach.
The hardest part of my job was leaving my family behind.
My most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with different oersonal each day and training to achieve the next level.
Benefits
Cons
Wages
depending on the person, it can either be fun or can be extremely stressful
Culinary Specialist (Former Employee) –  Yokosuka, Japan - Camp Pendleton, CAMay 27, 2017
the military has it's ups and downs. The Navy is not for everybody too. So if you are willing to sacrifice time away from your family and work long hours, then the Navy is for you.
One canot do this
Personnel Specialist (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 27, 2017
Job is different depending on order command and unit
We learn to behave and to be able to work together as a unit very fast and most of all follow orders
Good Experiemce
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 26, 2017
Good experience. Enjoyed it and will always have those memories . very good. sometimes stressful but worth it. all good benefits medical dental and life insurance
A great stepping stone!
Damage Controlman (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 26, 2017
I believe the military is one of the best things you can do right out of high school. I recommend after 4 or 5 years though to move on and experience something new. Life is about learning and pushing yourself to be better! Also being paid salary and working 12-16hr days weeks on end you start to realize that you making a negligible amount for your time.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Relocation, No set work schedule, No overtime.
diverse learning and management
Fuel Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 26, 2017
overall the Navy was great expierience, and I learned alot and got to go places most people will never see. I learned things in 4 years that most people will never understand nor learn anywhere else. I learned how to work with almost anyone and in almost any situation.
Pros
Great benefits, Skill Building
Cons
Very hard on home life
Retired 20 Year Veteran.LIfe changing Experience
Information Technician (Former Employee) –  Alameda County, CAMay 26, 2017
Excellent You get to see the world from the shipopportunity to travel and experience new thingsI have great memories about my 20 years in the Navy, I would go back in today. So many wonderful people and great opportunities for advancement. The ethical and accountability culture is great for morale.
Pros
Healthcare & travel
Cons
Away from home and family
Pass
Basic Underwater Demolition School (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 26, 2017
Very little autonomy and self determination. If you have a college degree do not enlist. Apply for a Comission. If interested in Special Operations consider Army instead.
Was a honor to serve my country.
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee) –  Naval Air Station Jacksonville, FLMay 26, 2017
Was truly an honor to serve my country and travel to different countries and states to take care of my fellow service members. Enjoyed moving/living in different places and meeting new people.
Pros
Traveling
Cons
Leaving friends
Outstanding
Lead Manager and Technician (Former Employee) –  Pearl Harbor Naval Station, HIMay 26, 2017
Outstand work and group effort towards a single goal. Proper training in many needed skills, from life, to work skills. You will travel the world as you assist the UN in proper protection of Freedoms and safety of people around the world. Your will never forget your time in the US Navy. They are overworked at the moment but hopefully that will change with the influx of money from our new government hierarchy, and the Sailors will get the manpower relief they just deserve.
Well Run
Data Analyst/System Administrator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 26, 2017
I loved my time in the Navy with the exception of my last two choices of location. Being at sea is hard if you have a family. Great security in the military.
Pros
Teamwork
Cons
Long periods away from home

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Navy. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4