U.S. Navy
11,035 reviews

U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

I wouldn't change that experience for the world
Aviation Structural Mechanic/ Seabee (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Life changer
Cons: Being away from family during deployments
Joining the Navy the day after 9/11 was the best career move I ever made. I met some of the best people I've ever known in the Navy. Also the experience of working with planes on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier was the best time of my life. Very hard work but I loved every minute.
Extremely engaging and worth while career.
Damage Control work center supervisor. (Former Employee), USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75)July 27, 2015
The overall experience as a United States Sailor was very gratifying and rewarding. Mission objectives were clear and precise with no room for error. The comradery made the job more enjoyable and satisfying, making the time away from loved ones that much easier.
High energy and productivity
Pump Room Operator (Former Employee), Norfolk Naval Station, VAJuly 27, 2015
Pros: health care
Cons: long deployments
Working for the Navy for 4 years gave me great experience with working in different situations and pressure. My shipmates were some of the best people to work with. They knew thier job and I knew mine.
Good busy work.
Radiologic Technologist (Current Employee), Portsmouth VAJuly 27, 2015
works in the radiology department in emergency room in Portsmouth Naval. Averages 30 patients a day. In charge of QA, Imaging, and patient transport
Great Experience
Electronics Technician (E-5) (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 27, 2015
Is a great way to receive benefits, college, healthcare, housing, meals. Work/life balance is tough, long deployments and work hours inport.
Military
Work Center Supervisor (Current Employee), Kings Bay Base, GAJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Gauranteed Paycheck
Cons: No independence
Active Duty Military Served on Submarines. Rough Environment but worked with Good and Smart people. Look forward to working with them as a contractor.
U.S. Navy
Nuclear Electronic Technician (Former Employee), Charleston, SCJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Great life experience, meet a lot of cool people, eye-opening experience
Cons: There are a few but nothing you'll look back on and regret (generally)
Great branch to serve in. If you like travel and serving your country, I would recommend it. Met a lot of cool people that I won't forget. Great experience.
Brotherhood
Sonar Technician (Former Employee), Staten Island, NYJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Integrity
Cons: Policy
Team work, accountability, integrity, honor, respect and duty. It is more than just a job. It was an adventure. I traveled the world and tested the limits of my ability.
Productive and great training
Sentry (Former Employee), Kings Bay GAJuly 27, 2015
Provided Security for civilians and military personnel entering and exiting the installation.
Made great friends and received extensive training and skills.
Military
Logistics Specialist (Former Employee), USAJuly 27, 2015
A typical day get up at 0400 and get off at 1700. Dealing with stressful Situations all day. The most enjoyable part of this job is protecting your country.
Great job for traveling the world
Database/System Administrator (Former Employee), Mangilao, GuamJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Defining country
Cons: Long work hours and six month cruise
Job usually starts early in the morning with a meeting to pass down requirements for the day. I learned to deal with people from different cultures, and races. Managers are knowledgeable in their duties and require workers to be the same. Co-workers are also friends and can sometimes be like family. The hardest part of the job is that depending on the current events you may have to work twelve hours on and twelve hours off for a week or more, not including other duties that will be assigned. The most enjoyable part of the job is traveling to the many different countries you would probably not have an opportunity to travel to had you not joined.
Productive work place
INSPECTOR INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 27, 2015
Typical day is preparing administrative, medical and dental records for reserve personnel. Planning exercises and command functions
Excellent times
Medical Clinic Leading Petty Officer (Former Employee), Camp Pendleton, CAJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Espri De Corps, Great training oppurtunities, Great Job variety, routine transfers, ability to travel, career advancement is top notch
Cons: Some managers are overbearing, some work environments are not pleasant, most medical training and experience is not accredited in civilian sector
The US NAVY is a military organization. Your view of it is heavily based on the commands you were stationed at and the hardships you faced.

I myself deployed to the Iraq campaign three times
Two 7 month deployments on a Destroyer
One 12 month deployment with a MITT team

In the Navy the potential to hold many jobs is there for anyone that volunteers. I held the following jobs and was provided great training for all of them,

Hospital Corpsman
Firefighter
Damage Control Man
Pest control Specialist
Environmental and occupational safety instructor
Machine gun operator
Maintenance Supervisor
Maintenance Manager
Small Boats Operator
VBSS (Visit Board Search & Seizure) Team Member
TCCC (Tactical Combat Casualty Care)
Snow Plow operator
OSHA instructor
Hazardous materials handler
Radar Operator
Safety Officer
and many other jobs, on top of which you learn many different computer systems.

The ability for job advancement is in your hands.
There is great job security, retirement is offered.
A good life experience
Construction Mechanic (Former Employee), Port Hueneme, CAJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Great education
Cons: Strict rutine
Being in the Navy helped me in countless ways. I was more physically fit then ever, and it taught great attention to detail. The education offered was great, and I learned much from both instructors and fellow students.
Challenging lifestyle
LOGISTICS SPECIALIST (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FlJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Great benefits! Travel! brotherhood!
Cons: away from family too long
Proud to once be apart of the Navy and serve with some great people! Once you adapt to the job it can be the best job in the world
Great learning experience
Crew Leader/Manager/ Crew Member (Former Employee), Port huenemeJuly 26, 2015
Working for the Navy is a great learning experience. Ample training is provided and advancement relies solely on the individual.
Professional and productive
Mechanic (Former Employee), WashingtonJuly 26, 2015
All Hands at work by a specific time.
Held morning meeting with my division to put out information and work for the day.
Worked or delegated tasks and had several tiers of leadership to manage.
Hardest part was entering the shipyard for an overhaul.
Loved the camaraderie, pride and going underway
Military Review
Information Systems Technician (Current Employee), Gulfport MSJuly 26, 2015
I was responsible for the maintenance of 300 computers and 500 user accounts as well as the external devices and peripherals for each system. I learned the value of team work and hard work. Management is sometimes inexperienced or not knowledgeable on the job at hand thus requiring more work to be done than necessary. The hardest part of the job was being away from my family. The most enjoyable part of the job was serving my country.
Job of a lifetime
Corrections Specialist /Supervisor (Former Employee), Japan, Hawaii, San DiegoJuly 26, 2015
The Navy provided many opportunities that some would not have if they don't enlist. Traveling the world, participating in joint exercises, having endless possibilities for advancements. Where else are you going to get a career like that?
Hard Work for an Engineer
Engineer (Former Employee), San DiegoJuly 26, 2015
Conduct regular maintenance on equipment, cleaning the boat, process reports for the oil testing. Keep tracking of platoon information an records for my department.

I learned how to manage my time and to mulit-task. Also learned how to do tune ups on Caterpillar 18.L Engines and preform proper maintenance on all equipment. I learned some good leadership skills from my peers around me and how to motivate individuals to keep a stable work environment.

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Navy

Imagine working with the most awe-inspiring equipment and technology the world has ever seen. Making your living as a rescue swimmer – Read more

U.S. Navy Salaries