U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Found 11,849 reviews matching the search
Great for creating America's next leaders
Petty Officer Second Class (Former Employee) –  Whidbey Island, WAFebruary 10, 2016
The navy afforded me the opportunity to have new challenges and experiences presented my way. Beyond being an aviation electrician I was introduced into the business aspect of the Navy. Analyzing costs, evaluating projects, and minimizing waste.

Early on the Navy showed me that I had a strong business aptitude.
Wish I could have stayed longer, but glad I didn't
Aviation Technician (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 10, 2016
Started work in the early AM, around 530am. Got the chance to experience many different types of supervisors. Military co-workers become a second family. We all look out for each other.
Pros
decent benefits, medical/dental
Cons
wish the pay was better
It has many perks.
Aviation Machinist Mate (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 10, 2016
Work schedule is long considering there is a salary, but otherwise I enjoyed myself thoroughly while I was in. Definitely worth the experience.
Pros
money, job security
Cons
advancment low, no overtime pay
Absolutely loved the U.S. Navy
Retired as a Chief Personnel Specialist (Former Employee) –  Patuxent River, MDFebruary 10, 2016
I retired after serving my country for 24 years in the U.S. Navy. Loved every minute of it. Hated to leave and retire, but it was my time. Would return in a minute. Loved the support from executives and subordinates. Loved the travel, experiences that I had. Would not trade all of it for the world.
Pros
Travel, mission completion, friends, experiences
Cons
Leaving Family, leaving USA
Interesting
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FL 33616February 10, 2016
I have been with the Navy from 1999 to present and I have been to over 22 different countries that I would have never otherwise been able to go to, I have seen and done things most people only see on T.V.
It was a fun expierence but you dont really ever get to work.
Crew leader, led 10 personnel (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MSFebruary 10, 2016
Like I said it was a great expierence and I will forever be greatful that I got to serve my country . I met a lot of lifelong friends but work wise it wasn't very fulfilling I like to see my work benefit people or the company I work for and with the Seabees that doesn't happen very much.
The U.S Navy Reserves is a great Navy component that allows you to build two or more careers simultaneously.
Logistic Specialist (LS) (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLFebruary 10, 2016
As a reservist, I am committed o work one weekend per month and perform a monthly annual training to a cross assigned unit. The Navy offers a comfortable working environment that exposes you to many different ways of life. Work and its leadership is extremely organized, leaving little room for misleading or misunderstanding and in-turn expands job accountability. The hardest part about the job is usually standing watch, which is major part of the U.S D.O.D protocol. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with others in an environment that is built on character and moral.
Pros
security.
Cons
It is sometimes difficult to advance as a reservist.
Overall great experience
Systems Administrator/COMSEC Custodian (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 9, 2016
Being in the Navy, I can't say there was ever a typical day. I was always on my toes waiting to see what happened each day.
I learned a lot about information systems, hardware installation and trouble shooting. Became efficient in most Microsoft Office applications.
Management differed at each place, but overall was a good experience.
The hardest part about the job was being away from my family for extended periods of time.
The most enjoyable party about the job was traveling, learning new things about my job and being exposed to so many other things outside of what it was like growing up in San Antonio. (people, places, culture)
Pros
job benefits, travel, pay
Cons
deployments, separated from family
Honor, Courage, Commitment
Basic Training (Former Employee) –  Great Lakes, ILFebruary 9, 2016
The United States Navy is a huge diverse family. I was Medically Separated but I enjoyed the challenge of Bootcamp and having to become family with people from all over the world. No matter what you will learn something and take something from this experience. HOOYAH NAVY!
Great experience
Operations Specialist 2nd Class (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 9, 2016
Financial stability and guidance very helpful in life. The hardest part of the job would have to be the months away from my family. This job taught me how to be an adult and I've made a lot of friends along the way.
Propulsion Plant Operator - US Navy
Propulsion Plant Operator (Current Employee) –  Groton, CTFebruary 9, 2016
If you know what you want from it, and work to get it, it can be very beneficial to your development as a career orientated individual
I loved my job
Culinary Specialist (Former Employee) –  EverywhereFebruary 9, 2016
Every day was different. Either I was deployed or on land. Depending where I was, would determine what I was doing. Deployments I was either working on F-18 Hornets or cooking in the Galley. Long days onboard aircraft carriers. On land my days were more mellow. Maintaining the barracks for over 100 residents. Keeping in mind their safety and sanitation in common areas.
Pros
Being Active Duty
Cons
deployments 6-10 months long away from my daughter.
Diversity in the Work Center
Aircraft Engine Technician (Current Employee) –  Oak Harbor, WAFebruary 8, 2016
The Navy has taught me many things; discipline, maturity, dedication, and many more qualities.Tthe one thing I take away from every day is the learning opportunities I have. The ability to work with people with different background and ways of operating than I do help expand my knowledge in many aspects of the job.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Excessive Long Hours
Long hours and hard work in service of my country
Power Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Silverdale, WAFebruary 8, 2016
Like all military work, there is a mission to complete. There are long hours, hard jobs, bad supervisors but in the end its all worth it. Hardest parts of the job has to be leaving your family behind for months on end. However the skills I received are invaluable.
Pros
Friendships for life, great benefits for the families
Cons
Hard work, long hours, little gratification for the work you do
Constant change allows healthy challenges to succeed.
Career Counselor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 8, 2016
In my experience, visiting and/or living overseas made me appreciate our great nation, our freedoms and free will to make choices that ultimately determine our successes.
Pros
Employment sustainability.
Cons
Long deployments or underway periods away from home.
Fast paced
Electronics Technician (Current Employee) –  Groton, CTFebruary 8, 2016
Very fast paced teaches you to master things very quickly. I would recommend joining if you have no plan. The Navy teaches you a multitude of skills you do not realize are valuable until you are getting out.
An awarding experience serving my country
USSTRATCOM Elite Guard (Current Employee) –  Offutt AFB, NEFebruary 6, 2016
A typical day working I learned a lot about myself and supervising others that I could not have learned otherwise. The Navy has taught me many valuable skills that I can now use in the civilian world and I am very grateful for. It brought me to my true passion which is law enforcement and security. The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction of helping people in need.
hard work out on the ship
mooring or anchor (Former Employee) –  Mayport Naval Station, FLFebruary 6, 2016
Hard working on the ship to maintain ship readiness to deploy. Long hours with work and watches to keep the ship safe. Mostly doing preservation on the ship
Productive work environment Learn to manage personnel
Team Leader - Ordnance Evolutions (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 5, 2016
I've grown within the US Navy. I've climbed the ranks from E-1 to E-5. Had to learn how to manage personnel effectively. I've had to make quick decisions in short time frames. I've guided the careers of over 160 sailors as a Career Counselor. The hardest part of my job was going on deployments. Although I am deeply proud of my service, I'm ready to tackle the civilian world head on! The most enjoyable part of my job was helping junior sailors achieve their personal and professional goals.
Pros
Health Care, Traveling
Cons
Long hours, deployments
Navy
Utilitiesman Third Class and Company clerk (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MSFebruary 5, 2016
This was the greatest experience of my life. I traveled to places I never though I would. I met people from all over the world. I learned many skills, including responsibility, team work and ownership for my actions.

4.5