U.S. Navy
9,094 reviews

U.S. Navy Employer Reviews

Productive work enviornment with uncomparable comoradity.
Electrical Work Center Supervisor (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: free medical for you and dependants, stable job, constant learning oportunities.
Cons: short breaks, away from home for 1.5 of my 3 years in service.
The hours are long and never seem to end but never once do you feel like you're not learning. So many things are happening at the same time, forcing you to constantly stay on your toes. The feeling of keeping your ship on mission to protect the United States of America is so remarkable that it seems like at times nothing could compare.
Great place for a career.
Marine Machinery Trade Instructor (Former Employee), Bremerton, WAJanuary 29, 2015
Hard work will pay off for those who seek to advance. Great pay and benefits too.
Us Navy
Construction Electrician (Former Employee), Gulfport, MSJanuary 29, 2015
Served 5 years honorably, enjoyed working and deployed 3 times. Wanted to re-enlist but was injured and unable to re-enlist due to injury.
Highly demanding but equally rewarding
Operations / Training Officer (Lieutenant) (Current Employee), Pensacola, FLJanuary 29, 2015
Acquired outstanding management skills and learned how to operate professionally in a high-tempo environment. Very structured work schedule with numerous deadlines to meet - all varying in timeframe. Co-workers become like family. Hardest part is learning how to balance personal and professional life.
United States Military
LPO (Former Employee), Coronado, CAJanuary 29, 2015
United States Military in various locations throughout the world. Extensive travel with various experiences. Travel the world.
wish i could have stayed
Aviation boatswain's Handler (active duty) (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 29, 2015
i traveled the world. made life long friends and learned so much
Spontaneous, Exciting, and oft time monotonous
Network Engineer (Current Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: knowledgeable staff, great working hours
Cons: management is kind of lacking, too many different departments that accomlsi the same tasks, over zealous supervisors
This job has given me a diverse out look on the IT field. My days are filled with network modifications, redesigns, and regular day to day administrative duties. My co workers are quite the characters! They each bring their own unique skill sets to the table and make the operation networks division the versatile, problem solving, hard charging machine it is today. The hardest part of this job is definitely the stress of immediate changes. Sometimes, a switch fails or a route misbehaves and as an admin, it is our job to find the right switch, configure, configure the routing protocol, etc. And all of this must be done in a span of hours at times! I've (we've) never met a task we haven't met and gracefully overcame. The most enjoyable parts of my job are my co workers (who I constantly teach and constantly learn from) and all the diverse pieces of network equipment I get to use, configure, and troubleshoot every day.
Good for someone needing a career without school
Hospital Corpsman (Current Employee), Gulfport, MSJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: free medical, stable paycheck, travel
Cons: managment
The Navy is a great job for the single sailor who wants to advance. As a sailor of the year I still found my job to be mismanaged by people who just wanted things done their way.

My typical work day starts with PT 0545 and ends at 1700 .
Great way to start your career, very rewarding
Operations Specialist (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 29, 2015
Joining the Navy was the best choice I ever made. Leaving was the worst. Benefits are obvious: travel around the world, meet new people and experience multiple cultures, and of course get money for college.

Pros: Rewarding work most of the time, easy to advance if you really put your effort in, travel is great, you can make some lasting friendships, your doing something that matters.

Cons: Pay isn't the best, some days it can seem like you are given idle work just because you need to look busy, some port calls are short and you may be stuck with duty on one of the days you are there and unable to leave the ship. Some of the higher ranking Chiefs and Officers can be difficult to work with and although they don't know what they are doing sometimes, you are still expected to follow the orders.
us navy
Gas Turbine Mechanic/Electrician (Current Employee), Mayport, FLJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: gaining knowledge, and advancing skill trade
Cons: short breaks, and losing track of time when completing task
working with other as a team helping one another developing skills trades. some days hard, some easy, managing and delegating authority, maintaining equipment, and cleaniness of the workspace.the best part of job is the accomplishment of task that was complefed
It is what you make of it
Ship's Servicemen 3rd Class (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJanuary 28, 2015
After getting out I wished I would have stayed in like most former enlisted. Being in the military it just is what you make of it. I really enjoyed going places in the Med that I would have never been able too had it not been through the Navy.
Best Experience Ever
Master At Arms (Former Employee), Various LocationsJanuary 28, 2015
Being in the military was by far the greatest decision of my life. World travel, camaraderie and experience are just a few of the things that made it great.
UNITED STATES NAVY (YEOMAN) ADMINSTRATIVE ASSISTANT
Administrative Assistant/Office Manager (Current Employee), Gulfport, MSJanuary 28, 2015
A typical day at work:

Beginning the day at 4am to 8pm or beyond. Depending on what is going on. I provided world class customer service in many facets of administrative needs. i.e. Pay, Personnel records, and personnel management, leave, Service member group life insurance, and government no-fee passports.

What did i learn?

Cross training in more in depth pay functions. to ensure seamless flow of information and specific need to service members and their personal pay. Personnel records and training, tracking data and information via a data base and/spreadsheets.

Management:

Managed over 750 service members administratively. while establishing rapport with every individual service member who comes into the office.

My co-workers:

My co-workers and i capitalize in world class customer service. Personable, concise and complete flow through with all aspects pertaining to service members abroad and well as individual service members and there specific needs as prescribed. Goal and results orientated in big picture aspect of administrative business in a military sense.

The hardest part of the job:

Would be not enough hours in the day to deliver results and peace of mind to put service members minds at ease while deployed.

The enjoyable part of the job:

Customer satisfaction is the big picture achievement. And the ability to touch and affect lives for the better of commands welfare and morale. In short i enjoyed every aspect of the job is held while on active duty.
Slow days with little to no work.
Airman (Former Employee), Everett, WAJanuary 28, 2015
The days were slow with little to no work to be done. People were normally civil towards one another and begrudgingly helped one another.
Honored to be part of the greates Navy in the world
Regional Administrative Manager (Former Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: sustain superior performance equals success
Total teamwork
There is no I on a team
Always uphold the Navy Core Values of Honor, Courage and Commitment,
Learning experience
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 28, 2015
This was my first real job in the real world. It taught me a lot of valuable things about the real world and what I needed to know to get through life in general.
Great way to start off
Fire Controlman Petty Officer Second Class (Current Employee), Mayport, FLJanuary 28, 2015
Gets your foot in the door to many places. A lot of underway time and good if you are looking to get into the tech field. You see a lot of different leadership styles some good and some not so good. The co workers for the most part make it enjoyable. It's not for everybody though.
Working and learning with my fellow shipmates
Marine Electrician (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: getting the job done in a timely manner
Cons: being away from family for long periods of time.
I was an electrician who not only learn how to work on electrical equipment onboard navy vessels but had the opportunity to drive navy vessels. I have the opportunity to serve my country and see other countries help in community relations in other countries in which was a small part that I could show on my behalf that I am proud to be a representative to local people in foreign countries as an american sailor. Hardest part of my job was being away from my family ,Maid me proud to represent my country and my family, Most enjoyable part of my job was when something did not work , I worked on it no matter how log it took and it worked. I was always proud or take pride in the WORK I Do that is very important to me . To inspire others to take pride in the work they do ,
Best decision of my life.
General Duty Corpsman (Former Employee), Camp Pendleton, CAJanuary 27, 2015
As a General Duty Corpsman, it was my duty to provide direct patient care to new mothers and new born babies. I learned about playing as a team,, punctuality, and the importance of flawless customer service. The most enjoyable part of my job was that I always had something new to learn.
navy
Machinist Mate (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 27, 2015
us navy great place to work and open a lot of doors for me. If you need to start over navy is a great place to do that.

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Navy

The US Navy maintains a variety of military equipment like ballistic missile submarines, aircraft carriers, surface warships, – Read more