U.S. Navy
9,024 reviews

U.S. Navy Employer Reviews

Great Job and Life Experience
Master at Arms (Military Police) (Former Employee), Guam and Chesepeake, VirginiaJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: brotherhood, community
Cons: workplace drama when it happened
I truly enjoyed working in the Navy, I got to see a lot of things and got to work in the field that most interests me.

Work was always busy, we were constantly moving from one thing to the next. Training on weapons or tactical movements, first aid anything that we had to deal with out in the field or on deployment or while we were doing law enforcement. I learned a lot of things, conflict resolution skills, skills in using weapons and force appropriatly, when and when not to use force, verbal judo and how to remain aware of your surroundings and of situations. Management was great for the most part, they really wanted to help you succeed in and out of the military and would do what ever they could do to help. The co-workers were something I never got to experience outside of the military and that was brotherhood, they had your back in more than just the work place, it was actually like a family. The hardest part of the job really for the most part was not knowing what was next or things of that nature. My most enjoyable part of the job was either successfully helping someone in need or when I would get to go on deployments, we always were having fun on deployments, even when we had to do 6 hours on and 6 hours off it was fun, I loved watching everything that was going on and providing security.
Professional and Experience that will last a life time
Maintenance Administrative Clerk (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: benefits and tuition paid in full
Cons: being away from family
Working with the Navy provided me with a structure I can use in an everyday work place. I've learned through the experience how to deal with stressful situations and professionalism in the workplace. The hardest part of the job was being away from the family for long periods of time. But in the end the experience I was provided is helping continue my career I need to pursue something in the nursing field.
Great Career in the Navy
Military Liaison / Damage Control Coordinator (Current Employee), Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: benefits, job security, travel the world
Cons: away from the family
I loved serving in the Navy for the past 23 years and look forward to moving on to a new career. One of the best things I enjoyed the most about the Navy was meeting different people from different areas of the world. It was good to serve with so many good people. You never knew what you were going to encounter when you came to work, everyday something new was thrown at you to handle. The hardest part was being deployed and spending time away from the family. I will miss it but I am ready to move on to a new life.
Mixed Emotions about transitioning out of the US NAVY
Nuclear Programs Coordinator (Current Employee), New York, NYJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: great benefits, extensive ojt
I am grateful for the opportunities afforded by the Naval Nuclear Program, Uniquely, my entire engineering base experience is built on top of what they would refer to as the "Six Pillars of Naval Nuclear Propulsion". Integrity, Formality, Procedural Compliance, Level of Knowledge, Questioning Attitude, and Forceful Backup are essential to all aspects of Engineering and my evaluated stellar performance, both on and off the submarine, is a direct emulation of those pillars.
Perferct place to start in life
Ships Serviceman Second Class(E-5) (Former Employee), Long Beach, CAJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: travel
Cons: travel, watch duties
This was the most influential time in my life. Grew a lot as a man. The hardest part was being at the bottom of the ranks and having to really earn my rank.
The most enjoyable part was the travel and gaining wisdom from senior members
Military Life
Electronics Technician (Former Employee), Norfolk, AnnapolisJanuary 22, 2015
Work in the Navy was typical 7-4 or 5 pm (1700).
Trained to troubleshoot and maintain a lot of electronic equipment.
Coworkers were hit and miss.
Hardest part of the job was having to be away so much.
Most enjoyable part of the job was going places.
Theater Battle Management Core Systems Expert (Former Employee), Norfolk, CAJanuary 22, 2015
I do not want to leave a review at this time.

• Air planning and execution management board
• Identified resources required, assigned responsibilities and coordinated project staff directly and indirectly to ensure successful completion of the project.
• Tracked project deliveries using project management tools.
• Designed project documents to monitor project performance and ease of data retrieval.
• Reported on project progress and communicated relevant information to superiors.
• Tracked and resolved critical issues to minimize project risk factors
• Managed and oversaw over 60 personnel.
• Maintained all organizational information pertaining to Air Traffic Control. Ensuring operational efficiency and compliance of air traffic control regulations.
Difficult but rewarding career
3rd CLASS SONAR TECHNICIAN PETTY OFFICER (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: travel, unique job experience
Cons: away from friends and family, war is not easy
Teamwork and personal effort are staples of day-to-day operations in the Navy. Learning to manage the benefits of diverse backgrounds with co-workers was challenging but overall highly beneficial to task completion.
Job Review
Military Non Commissioned Officer (Former Employee), Worldwide deployableJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: travel, education, medical benefits, advancement opportunity
Cons: long hours and there is no overtime.
The US Military is one of the greatest places to work, full of growth potential, support and leadership from people of all walks of life that have made a solemn pledge to serve this country, protect it anywhere and at anytime. It is in many ways a brotherhood/sisterhood and a family that understands the importance of taking care of each other. I was privileged to serve along side some of the most dedicated, patriotic men and women this country has to offer; and because of this it was an education that I consider to be priceless. My day began early and finished late. I learned that there is nothing impossible if your willing to embrace the attributes required to get just about any job accomplished with excellence. I have the utmost respect for my leadership because they give of themselves to those who work for them, and are willing to be their support whenever it is needed. It is highly competitive, but competition make all of us stronger. The hardest part of the job is ensuring that you don't become one dimensional and that you know how to shake things up when necessary, and create for yourself a balance between work and home life. I love to travel, and that's just what I did.
A great place to further your education with hands on experence
Cryptologic Technician Technical (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: fantastic benefits, salary
Cons: no time for personal life, short breaks, long working days
A typical day at work involves pushing yourself to your mental and physical limit. Working until the job is done that day because you never know what will happen tomorrow.
great benefits
BOATSWAINS MATE (Former Employee), Mayport,FLJanuary 22, 2015
great benefits lots of travel. loved serving my country. great pay
It is the Military.
US Navy Personnel (Former Employee), Worldwide deploymentsJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: traveling around the world, trying new foods and meeting great people.
Cons: decide for yourself.
When reading the rating for the Navy, you must take into consideration that the military is ran by people and everyone will have a different experience. You have things that you aren't going to like to do, and you have things that you will love. Your job is different everyday no matter what job you have. The Navy has so many different jobs that it is almost impossible to list them all. Navy.mil is the best place to get more information and I have really enjoyed the experiences that I have had. I have learned so much just being in and each advancement was an opportunity to learn more.
Overall steady work paired with unpredicatable shifts, but thats what the military is!
Aviation Electrician Workcenter Supervisor (Former Employee), NAS North Island, CAJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: learning new skills, comraderie
Every day held some new learning experience whether it was a positive or negative experience. I learned how to maintain and troubleshoot all individual electrical, mechanical, and hydroelectric systems of a multimillion dollar aircraft and did so on a daily basis.
It was a fun fast paced environment most of the time. I loved the camaraderie and working in groups to meet a challenging task that seemed impossible. The hardest part was being away from my family that many hours a day or weeks and months at a time.
Excellent Experience
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Oceana, VAJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: benefits
Typical day at work is assisting service members in the office with various needs. I learned teamwork, enhanced my communication skills and learned to be a superior sailor. My superiors were squared away and always encouraging. They were hardworking and made sure that we were also. The hardest part of the job was learning not to work so much. The most enjoyable part of the job was coming into work and knowing that we were making a difference.
one of the most rewarding and challenging things in the world!
Deck Supervisor (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: benefits and travel
Cons: working hours can be pretty long and ships food isnt the best
Joining the military was one of the best decisions I've ever made! everyday was a new challenge and a new adventure. there is no typical work day in the Navy and you will learn quickly that teamwork and motivation are a must! The hardest part of the job is having to adjust and learn quickly at a moments notice. The most enjoyable part is definitely seeing the world!
U S Military
Disbursing Clerk/E-4 (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: great benefits, free travel, fast pace environment
Cons: long periods of time way from your family, long rotations
I started my career in human resources in the military. I processed payroll for enlisted and offices, processed travel claims for everyone on the ship. I did database management, customer service, research & resolved pay problems, and travel the world.
a rewarding adventure
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee), Great Lakes, ILJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: learned discipline, leadership, hard work, paid for my education
Cons: duty, contracts for years at a time
Not just a job, and adventure

Very hard working dedicated people

Hardest part was learning the way of life and standing duty (sometimes for 24 hours straight)
Navy
Hospital Corpsman (Occupational Therapy Assistant) (Current Employee), Hampton, VAJanuary 21, 2015
I typically go to work at 7 am and I get off work around 3:30pm, I work in an Occupational Therapy Hand clinic and I really like what I do. I provide treatment for patients in need of therapy, I see active duty, dependents, and retirees on a daily basis. I work with some really good people from all over the country, I like the blending of different cultures in my work environment. The hardest part of my job is being away from home and my family but I get to see them when I take leave so it makes things bearable.
A good initial start to a career
Operations Specialist (Former Employee), WashingtonJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: life long friends
Cons: always away from family during holidays and special events
A good place to grow into an adult. Understand life's challenges and learn to be on your own. Job security however it consumes your life with the rotating shifts, frequent deployments.
Excellent work environment, state of the art equipment available.
Pharmacist in Charge (Former Employee), Naval Academy, MDJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: lived off base like a regular job.
Cons: had to walk to and from work.
Knowledgeable work staff, with the finest doctors at our disposal.

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Navy

The US Navy maintains a variety of military equipment like ballistic missile submarines, aircraft carriers, surface warships, – Read more