U.S. Navy
8,716 reviews

U.S. Navy Employer Reviews

Great customer service and productive patient care rendered.
Dental/Medical Assistant OB/GYN (Former Employee), Havelock,NC; Kaneohe Bay,HI; Pensacola,FLDecember 15, 2014
Pros: healthcare and customer service
Cons: worked through lunch sometimes
Serving in the U.S. Navy was inspiring, fun, family oriented and productive most days. Greeting patients with a smile was my specialty! I maintained patient records and scheduled appointments. I had the opportunity to assist in multiple departments including specialties. It was my pleasure to learn new and different methods in the field of dentistry – more... and the medical field. Great group of doctors and assistants to work with. My job in the Navy has inspired me to go back to school to pursue a career as a dentist. But the best part of working in the U.S. Navy was indeed an honor to protect the men and women of the U.S. and to serve my country proud! – less
Wonderful
Electrician's Mate (Former Employee), Great Lakes, ILDecember 15, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: long shifts
Being on a submarine tender and learning how to rewind electrical motors and install, troubleshoot shipboard lighting and receptacles. My supervisors were excellent teachers and always made sure your doing the right job. The hardest part was being there 24-hours a day and the most enjoyable part is learning a new trade and being able to travel the world.
Learned alot
Aviation Boatswain-mate (Former Employee), VirginiaDecember 15, 2014
It is the military. Everyone should get a chance to serve there country, and should do it with honor, courage and commitment.
served my country
Aviation Boatswain's Mate Handler (Former Employee), seattle washingtonDecember 15, 2014
Pros: travel
Cons: missing family
spend 4 years in the united states navy to serve my country got to travel and see a part of the world.
Best Decision I ever made
Aviation Electronics Technician (Former Employee), WorldDecember 15, 2014
Pros: everything
It is the best decision that I ever made. I learned so much about myself and about leadership. On top of all that I also got to see the world in so many different ways. It is a choice that you will always look back on and never regret.
Diverse work settings
Physical Therapy Tech/ Aqua Therapy Instructor (Former Employee), MDDecember 15, 2014
Pros: met good people
Cons: caused physical disabilties and ptsd
Was able to see the world and learn different jobs. I got to go to Physical Therapy tech school and Aqua Therapy school. I meant a lot of good people and helped many patients.
Great job expierience along with traveling is one the best jobs in the world.
Builder/Engineer (Former Employee), Gulfport, MississippiDecember 14, 2014
Pros: great co-workers, great work environment and excellent training that applied to civilian life.
Cons: leaving at moments notice, long hours to extend past 24 hrs.
Joining the navy was an learning curve that I think every high school graduate should experience! it taught me to pay attention to details I normally would have over looked. Out of the 6 year journey I had I've learned that not only do the things you accomplish affect you but also the ones around you. Learning the ways and traditions of the work field – more... I was in taught me that also that if dedicate your time and effort to something you'll always get results good or bad learn from them and keep pushing forward. – less
learn experince
Trained as a machinist (Former Employee), usaDecember 14, 2014
Pros: life experance
United States Navy, Trained as a machinist. Trained in advanced electronics. Trained and worked in engine room, operating and repairing equipment, plus monitoring gauges,
Administrative and logistics specialists
Administrative/Logistics Clerk (Former Employee), San Diego, CADecember 13, 2014
Pros: comradere, team work, morale function, training, advancement
Cons: no overtime
Typical work day was daily progress meetings, update database,
print out latest supply request, print out past due equipment maintenance, locate and update all maintenance contracts, tag all equipment on past due equipment update location and person responsible in database so that Bio Medical department can maintain equipment.

I learned how to process – more... supply request and orders.
I learned how to process work hours and overtime request.
I learned how to negotiate with vendors to find specials and fee testers.
The hardest part of the job was when I couldn't help a customer or broker a deal from vendor. – less
United States Navy Submarine Force
Technical Leader, Industrial Machinery Mechanic (Former Employee), San Diego, CADecember 13, 2014
Work Hours: 0800-1700 typical, 24 hour duty days every 4 days, frequent underways ranging from a few days to 8 months. Average sea going operation tempo of 8 months per year.

Skills Learned: Safety compliance, procedural compliance, tag safety, line diagram analysis, quality assurance, maintenance, fire fighting, security, information assurance, small – more... arms safety, hydraulic systems, mechanical systems, pneumatic systems, nuclear safety

Management: Caring, develop subordinate skills, evaluate and assist subordinates, supportive, career oriented

Co-Workers: Hard working, family mentality, supportive, peer development, community training

Hardest Part of the Job: Long hours, long/frequent sea time, frequent duty days

Most Enjoyable Part of Job: Personal development, upward mobility, working closely with peers, family like relationships with co-workers – less
US military what else can I say.
Airframes Mechanic (Former Employee), San Diego, CADecember 13, 2014
Pros: honor of serving
Cons: hours and pay
Its the US Navy. I was honored to serve my country. I was stationed in San Diego.
Disciplined environment fostered from comradery
Project Manager (Former Employee), Norfolk, VADecember 12, 2014
Pros: full medical and dental benefits as well as the opportunity to travel all over the country
Cons: i have to be away from family at long periods of time for deployments
A typical day consisted of performing MFOM pulls. Performing trend analysis of pulled data. writing summaries on pulled data. Performing briefs to the higher chain of command to inform of issues as well as ways to combat.

The hardest part was leaving my family at any given notice whether that be for deployments or under ways or fast cruises and duty – more... days.

the most enjoyable is the knowing you have fought for your country – less
US Navy
Quartermaster (Former Employee), Pensacola, FLDecember 12, 2014
I enjoyed my military service. It filled me with great pride and patriotism to serve my country.
A fun, educational and rewarding experience.
Assigned as Information Assurance Manager (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VADecember 12, 2014
Pros: steady pay
Cons: the politics
Typical work day is work is never done being an IT. I have learned every component of IT except software development. I enjoy working with others. I love being apart of a team. Hardest part of job was time away from family. Most enjoyable is being tasked with something I know nothing about and mastering it.
Great experience learned more than I ever thought possible
Field Service Calibration Technician (Former Employee), San Diego, CADecember 12, 2014
In the US Navy I learned so many key valuable skills to give me a head start in life and in the work force. As a result of the navy I am always punctual, hard working, used to long hours, have attention to detail, and understand accountability. My typical day consisted of a mourning meeting at 5 am a pass down of the days task at 5:30 and begin accepting – more... items for calibration at 6:00. Some days I would calibrate electronics or standards in the lab and others I would be down in the machinery spaces calibrating gages thermometer and switches for crucial ship components. The best part of this job was the amount of knowledge i would gain. I was constantly learning something new on a daily basis. The hardest part of this job and the reason I decided not to re-enlist was the amount of time I didn't get to see my family and the distance, – less
US Navy
Cook/ Records Keeper (Former Employee), jacksonville flDecember 12, 2014
What can I say. The navy made me the man I'm today. Got to see the world.
Very Demanding, Self Satisfying
Information Systems Technician 2nd Class (E-5) (Current Employee), Norfolk, VADecember 12, 2014
Pros: health care, job security
Cons: work to personal life ratio
The Navy requires many hours of work put in away from home for very little appreciation. I would recommend the Navy to anyone if you are a very self motivated person and can respond professionally to every situation imaginable.
Mission essential
Aviation Electrician's Mate (Former Employee), Norfolk, VADecember 12, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: pay is not comparable to civilian sector
-A typical day at work consists of arriving to your command at the base to perform your assigned function.
- I learned how to troubleshoot electric and electronic devices, read schematics and wiring diagrams, how to manage people, how to manage a huge inventory worth hundreds of millions of dollars.
- Management fluctuated from the very poor to the – more... very best.
- My co-workers could be anything from very lazy to very motivated.
- The hardest part of the job was being away from my family.
- The most enjoyable part was knowing that I was serving my country. – less
Outstanding place to work with opportunities to excel.
Food Service Director/Manager (Current Employee), Point Mugu, CADecember 12, 2014
Outstanding place to work at with outstanding benefits not only for you but also your dependents. You'll have the opportunity to work with different personnel from different backgrounds and cultures.
Able to learn valuable job skills while protecting the country.
Logistics Specialist (Former Employee), Various locationsDecember 11, 2014
Pros: free medical and dental; many opportunities for advancement.
Cons: some ships get underway quite often.
I learned many valuable job skills. I learned how to deal with various types of co-workers. My typical day included inventory management, shipping and receiving parts, material procurement, and financial budget management.

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Navy

The US Navy maintains a variety of military equipment like ballistic missile submarines, aircraft carriers, surface warships, – Read more