U.S. Navy Employee Reviews in United States

Found 13,337 reviews matching the search
Compiles a diverse number of people into a working environment that better provide a future for young adults and allows exploration.
Machinist Mate 3rd Class Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 2, 2016
Multiple people from different fields work together to accomplish their missions as one diverse unit. I've learned lots of unique skills and how to live a more mature life that I was not able to obtain from high school. I've also gained confidence and leadership through this experience. The management is based on a hierarchical system where you start from the person from highest in command and work your way down and vice versa. The co-workers are people from all over the world and have many different characteristics as you never know who you may be working with. The hardest part of the job is being away from friends and family for extended periods of time. The best part of the job is being able to explore new areas and learning about new cultures and learning about co-workers background lives.
Pros
Easy to save money, excellent benefits, keeps people in healthy conditions.
Cons
Everyone feels like they're in charge as some people don't need to be in an authoritative position.
Great opportunities
Information System Technician (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 2, 2016
I spent 23 years in the Navy. I loved the military because we worked as a team. If you did a good job you were recognized and awarded.
Pros
Recognition
Cons
pay
Best job I've ever had!
Aircraft Structural Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Lemoore, CA 93246May 2, 2016
The people and experience were, by far, the best part about the Navy. Getting to know so many different types of people and cultures was exciting and beneficial in every way imaginable.
The people
Quality Assurance Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Naval Air Station Lemoore, CAMay 2, 2016
I really miss working with the military people. Everyone worked together to complete one goal. The travel was the greatest part of the military and the worst. You get to see a lot of different places but at the same time you miss out on a lot of family time.
Pros
Team work
Cons
Missed a lot of family time.
Intense work environment
Security Assistant Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Bangor, WAMay 1, 2016
A typical day at work is roughly 14 hour days on a 3-2-2-3 schedule. I have experience working with people of many different cultures and ethnicities. The hardest part of my job is dealing with the stress of working all the time and getting paid the same amount all the time with no overtime. The most enjoyable part of my job is the people I work with. When you enjoy the people you work with, time flies!
United States Navy
Computer Network Defense Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 1, 2016
As a member of the Armed Forces it is what one expects. Hours, advancement, and other factors are dictated on what you do in the Navy and how hard you work for it. Nothing is given in the military and it is what you make it.
U.S Navy!
Sonar Technician Third Class (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 1, 2016
I did a lot around the world in 5 years, got to see Europe, Africa and the middle east. I have made a difference in the world, there and at home.
Pros
good food
Cons
no sunlight for over 60 days
Outsanding
Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 30, 2016
The Navy is a great place to work as long as you like to go to sea. I work intermittent is very structured. The best thing is that you will be able to retire after 20 years. The other great things is that you will have great medical benefits and if you do 20 years you will still get those benefits.
Pros
Great benfits
Cons
Long Hours
Vast differences between civilian life and military life
Ship Serviceman, E3 (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WAApril 30, 2016
The work to life balance was completely off but it is to be expected when you join the military. It was an enjoyable experience and I was happy to have served.
Outstanding career. unlimited travel and secure pay
Aircraft Mechanic (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 30, 2016
I miss it and wish I could go back and finish up. Was given many responsibilties and awarded for numerous leadership skills and expertise as a Aircraft Mechanic. It was a very rewarding career.
Pros
Travel, health benefits and secur pay.
Cons
Advancement was rough.
Long work days
SONAR Technician (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 30, 2016
The work was easy enough, and there was plenty of it. You don't have a specific job in the Navy, you just have a specialty. I loved being a sonar technician, but hated being a sailor. As a member of the weapons department I did a lot of security work and training. I did a lot of fire locker training, first aid training, working "parties", and if you don't have any training or maintenance to do there is still a whole ship to clean. Oh and don't forget about duty days, basically a 36 hour work day. The Navy does not have to comply with federal regulations. They can work you as long, and as hard as they want to. I got to see a huge part of the world, and learned a lot of skills, but I wouldn't do it again.
Pros
I learned a lot!
Cons
You have no life outside of the Navy, well if you are on a small boy.
A Wonderful Experience
Language/Intelligence Analyst (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAApril 30, 2016
I had a wonderful time in the U.S. Navy as an Arabic Linguist and intelligence analyst. I got to work with some amazing enlisted folks and officers alike, as well as different people in the intelligence community. The Navy taught me how to be punctual, how to pay attention to my work and maintain a high standard of professionalism, and to appreciate the world through the lens of not just the military, but also the United States government.
Pros
Excellent pay, good benefits, unlimited training options
Cons
Sometimes long hours, relocation
Great job security, great people to work with.
Aviation Structural Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL, Oak Harbor, WA, Frankfort, KYApril 30, 2016
I loved this job and the only reason I left the military was due to having small children that I wanted to spend more time with. Everybody was treated with respect, and we all worked as a team.
Pros
World travel, execelent medical benefits, development of life-long friends.
Cons
Long times away from family
Seaman/ Hospital Corpsman HM3
Hospital Corpsman (Optician) (Former Employee) –  VirginiaApril 30, 2016
Served 5 years in the Navy, 22 months at Portsmouth Naval Hospital working on pediatrics. Went to "c" school in Yorktown, VA, learned to make eyeglasses.
Pros
Could get stationed anywhere you wanted to go for the most part.
Cons
Time away from family
United States Navy
Integrated Logistics Support Lead (Current Employee) –  IndianaApril 30, 2016
Working as a Navy Civilian has been a very rewarding experience. It takes dedicated, and selfless individuals who are willing to put aside their own priorities in order to serve their country.
Somewhat boring
Culinary Specialist/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bangor, WAApril 30, 2016
A typical consisted of showing up to work in the morning and following the receipt cards to make edible food. Management was horrible they only cared about making themselves look good in getting a good eval.
Great Experience
Nov 2016 Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 29, 2016
The Navy is a great place to build skills but there is a sacrifice you have to make which is your family time. It is a true test to your mental and physical health. However, you are not alone. It is a team building experience that is never forgotten.
Exciting and Productive Workplace
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 29, 2016
As an intern, the experience at the Naval Research Laboratory was fulfilling and exciting. I had the opportunity to do my own research, with excellent mentoring throughout the summer. Even that I was only an intern, I was working with topics that were relatively important for my code/division. The job culture is comfortable, and the people are very friendly and eager to help others.

On the other hand, the location is convenient and easy to arrive to without much traffic. The Naval Research Laboratory is located in the outskirts of Washington DC, and is easily accessible from the city, Maryland and even Virginia areas.
Pros
Location, Environment
US Navy
Engineering Department Leading Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mayport, FLApril 29, 2016
Being in Engineering Department in the Navy is hard work, but I learned a lot from my years in and hope to continue to use that knowledge somewhere new. I'm always willing and able to learn and can't wait to start my next adventure.
Was a place to meet lots of people.See lots of the world.
Machinist Mate 2nd Class-Shipboard Engine Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 29, 2016
I made many friends and saw many places in the world I would not have been to otherwise with typical jobs. I did 12 years and only got out because I didn't want to miss my wife and child being out to sea 6-9 months at a time.

4.5