U.S. Navy
9,897 reviews

U.S. Navy Employer Reviews

Not a Job an adventure
Electronic technician Second Class (E5) (Former Employee), USS Wainwright, Charleston SC.March 28, 2015
Challenging work, bunch of great Guys
Travel
enjoyed and hated many cruises.
extensive training
Much travel
Everyone needs to try it once.
did I mention Travel?
The World's Finest Navy
Aviation Electronics Technician (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAMarch 28, 2015
After bootcamp it was pretty much like a regulat nine to five. At least until the day after 9/11, from then on for a while it was 12 hour days, if not more. Then, of course, when we were out to sea too, but that was only for twelve months out of the four year term. Other than that, for the most part we just maintained the F/A-18 Hornet jets.
Fast pace challenging working environment that tests your management skills.
Department Manager (Current Employee), Everett, WAMarch 28, 2015
Pros: Management skills experience
Cons: High turn over of job transfers due to temporary positions.
High paced, turn over due to transfers.
Excellent team work support.
Managing priorities of mission objectives.
Mentor, develop, subordinates and co-workers.
Productive and enjoy very high pace
Support Equipment operator (Former Employee), Oak Harbor, WAMarch 28, 2015
A typical day at work is very busy

I learned to take charge and be a excellent role model

Co workers were very hard working

The hardest part of the job is being assigned a task and not having the appropriate tools to accomplish the task.

the most enjoyable part of the job is to serve in one way or another.
Very Challenging and Rewarding
Quality Assurance Officer (Current Employee), Newport News, VAMarch 28, 2015
Pros: Great benefits, countless opportunities
Cons: Time away from home, potentially dangerous
Being an Officer in the Navy is a very challenging and rewarding career. Being in a leadership position, your actions are highly visible and are held to extremely high standards. The job can get very intense, so your success is measured by being able to manage your time effectively while managing your division. And lastly, mentorship. This job is all about taking care of your people. Because if your people are not succeeding, you are not succeeding either. But when success is finally achieved, we give credit to our people that make it happen. Leadership can be defined by many things, and giving your people the public accolades for a job well done is one of them.
It is what it is - you're here to serve, not have fun
Machinist Mate 3rd Class (Former Employee), Pascagoula, MSMarch 28, 2015
Pros: excellent training, excellent benefits
Cons: poor opporunities for advancement, abundant time away from home
I stayed on the ship most of the time over seas and let other guys pay to stand their watches so they could go off the ship and get drunk. I didn't see much, but the few times I was off the ship, there really wasn't that much to see. Different attire, different architecture, different languages ... people are all pretty much the same. I was glad to rejoin civilian life and not have to stay up all night on watch.
Life on the open seas
Avionics Technician Second Class (Former Employee), Lemoore, CAMarch 28, 2015
Pros: Paid travel, Health, Dental, Eye
Cons: time away from family
While serving in the Navy, I have been blessed with the ability to see many different locations in the United States and overseas. I advanced rather quickly and made a decent career of my time with the Navy.
always ensuring safe and effective aircraft are at the ready 24/7.
Avionics Leading Petty Officer (Former Employee), Oceana, VAMarch 28, 2015
Pros: health benefits
Cons: a lot of time away from home.
Show up in early morning, make sure all tools and personnel are accounted for. Then go over the workload and manage priorities to keep all aircraft in a good working status. Learned how to work well with all sort of people, and how to manage them to get the most work done in a 12 hour day. All while writing up paperwork to supervisors in order to keep them knowledgeable of everything going on with the aircraft and their people.
I love the Navy
Aviation Boatswain's Mate Handler (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAMarch 28, 2015
Pros: pay is great, seeing the world
Cons: being away from family
The Navy is the best branch in the military. You must have it in you to be successful. If death scares you, then the military is not for you. But if you look to be the best at what you do, and make an honest living for your family then the navy is for you. The Navy is all about helping out one another. Of course, everybody doesn't have that mindset but thats life. Co-workers ( or like we say "shipmates") are great and this is a workplace where you will make lifetime bonds with people from all over. Hardest part about being successful is dealing with everything going on while you are away. The most enjoyable part of your job should be knowing that you have done your part in making the world's largest sea power continue to be the world's strongest sea power. Chain of command is USUALLY fair. I learned alot about the world, myself and others dring my short stint in the Navy but I support and approve anybody wanting to join!
Productive and Enternaining
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCMarch 28, 2015
What I liked about working with the Department of Navy is the opportunities that were presented to me as an employee. I've learned qualities such as hard-work and dedication will always pay off no matter what you do. The management team were wonderful because they cared about all employees individual rather than an office as a whole. My co-workers were very professional at all times and dependable.
Secure employment with great benefits
Program Analyst (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 28, 2015
Pros: Great benefits, secure employment
Cons: employee classification process was old and rigid
Working for the US Navy was very rewarding most of the time. However, the military management frequently overlooked the value of outstanding employees. Mediocre employees were rewarded equally to those who developed new processes and more efficient programs.
Great life experience
Designated Behavioral Health Technician (Former Employee), Jacksonville, NCMarch 27, 2015
Pros: Service, Espirit De Corps, Training
Cons: Sometimes structure too rigid.
Travel the world, meet new people, experience different culture, and form lasting relationships while serving your country. Once in a lifetime experience.
US Navy Review
Petty Officer First Class (Former Employee), Gulfport, MSMarch 27, 2015
Pros: Outstanding Benifits
Cons: War
After 27 years of honorable service, the Navy gave me the opportunity to advance and excel as a person and as a professional.
This organization has made a positive impact on my life.
First Class Petty Officer (Current Employee), Houston, TXMarch 27, 2015
I was challenged on many fronts by being a part of this organization. It help to develop me as a leader and allowed me to grow in areas such as character, courage, and commitment. You must be able to adapt to different people and environments. Most enjoyable aspect of this job was the people!
Great leadership opportunities
Naval Officer (Former Employee), Pensacola, FLMarch 27, 2015
Puts a high premium on developing leadership traits. Work/life balance can be a little rough, but provides unique work experiences that will provide a solid foundation for your career.
Nice career
ABH (Former Employee), VAMarch 27, 2015
Every morning at 7:15, we gather for Quarters. This is a daily meeting with our Division Chief and Division Officer that provides an opportunity to go over the day’s work assignments and any announcements from the chain of command
See the world and get paid
Boatswainsmate third class (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAMarch 27, 2015
No day is typical. Everyday presents new challenges. Everyone works together to get the job done. Team oriented approach to solving all problems at all levels. Hardest part is never being home and always at sea.
This is where I learned Team Wrok
Boatswain's Mate 2nd class (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Great liberty ports
Cons: long deployments
My ship was haze grey and underway a lot. Team work was the biggest part of my Navy career and my team memberson the ship were so awesome. The hardest part of the job was being on tour 6 months at a time. The most enjoyable part was visiting all the great liberty ports!
Guaranteed job
Electronics Technician (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Money
Cons: Everything else.
Being in the US Navy is a thankless job. You get thrown more work than any one person should be expected to handle. The higher ups are unforgiving and the benefits are not worth the life style hassles.
love the travel
Petty Officer Third Class (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLMarch 26, 2015
The travel was awesome. The only downgrade is being away from family for long periods of time. There was only a balance when home and in port periods. Did not have to worry about medical or dental benefits had it all there at the palm of my hand.

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Navy

Imagine working with the most awe-inspiring equipment and technology the world has ever seen. Making your living as a rescue swimmer – Read more

U.S. Navy Salaries