U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Found 11,841 reviews matching the search
Overall great experience
Systems Administrator/COMSEC Custodian (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 9, 2016
Being in the Navy, I can't say there was ever a typical day. I was always on my toes waiting to see what happened each day.
I learned a lot about information systems, hardware installation and trouble shooting. Became efficient in most Microsoft Office applications.
Management differed at each place, but overall was a good experience.
The hardest part about the job was being away from my family for extended periods of time.
The most enjoyable party about the job was traveling, learning new things about my job and being exposed to so many other things outside of what it was like growing up in San Antonio. (people, places, culture)
Pros
job benefits, travel, pay
Cons
deployments, separated from family
Honor, Courage, Commitment
Basic Training (Former Employee) –  Great Lakes, ILFebruary 9, 2016
The United States Navy is a huge diverse family. I was Medically Separated but I enjoyed the challenge of Bootcamp and having to become family with people from all over the world. No matter what you will learn something and take something from this experience. HOOYAH NAVY!
Great experience
Operations Specialist 2nd Class (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 9, 2016
Financial stability and guidance very helpful in life. The hardest part of the job would have to be the months away from my family. This job taught me how to be an adult and I've made a lot of friends along the way.
Propulsion Plant Operator - US Navy
Propulsion Plant Operator (Current Employee) –  Groton, CTFebruary 9, 2016
If you know what you want from it, and work to get it, it can be very beneficial to your development as a career orientated individual
I loved my job
Culinary Specialist (Former Employee) –  EverywhereFebruary 9, 2016
Every day was different. Either I was deployed or on land. Depending where I was, would determine what I was doing. Deployments I was either working on F-18 Hornets or cooking in the Galley. Long days onboard aircraft carriers. On land my days were more mellow. Maintaining the barracks for over 100 residents. Keeping in mind their safety and sanitation in common areas.
Pros
Being Active Duty
Cons
deployments 6-10 months long away from my daughter.
Diversity in the Work Center
Aircraft Engine Technician (Current Employee) –  Oak Harbor, WAFebruary 8, 2016
The Navy has taught me many things; discipline, maturity, dedication, and many more qualities.Tthe one thing I take away from every day is the learning opportunities I have. The ability to work with people with different background and ways of operating than I do help expand my knowledge in many aspects of the job.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Excessive Long Hours
Long hours and hard work in service of my country
Power Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Silverdale, WAFebruary 8, 2016
Like all military work, there is a mission to complete. There are long hours, hard jobs, bad supervisors but in the end its all worth it. Hardest parts of the job has to be leaving your family behind for months on end. However the skills I received are invaluable.
Pros
Friendships for life, great benefits for the families
Cons
Hard work, long hours, little gratification for the work you do
Constant change allows healthy challenges to succeed.
Career Counselor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 8, 2016
In my experience, visiting and/or living overseas made me appreciate our great nation, our freedoms and free will to make choices that ultimately determine our successes.
Pros
Employment sustainability.
Cons
Long deployments or underway periods away from home.
Fast paced
Electronics Technician (Current Employee) –  Groton, CTFebruary 8, 2016
Very fast paced teaches you to master things very quickly. I would recommend joining if you have no plan. The Navy teaches you a multitude of skills you do not realize are valuable until you are getting out.
An awarding experience serving my country
USSTRATCOM Elite Guard (Current Employee) –  Offutt AFB, NEFebruary 6, 2016
A typical day working I learned a lot about myself and supervising others that I could not have learned otherwise. The Navy has taught me many valuable skills that I can now use in the civilian world and I am very grateful for. It brought me to my true passion which is law enforcement and security. The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction of helping people in need.
hard work out on the ship
mooring or anchor (Former Employee) –  Mayport Naval Station, FLFebruary 6, 2016
Hard working on the ship to maintain ship readiness to deploy. Long hours with work and watches to keep the ship safe. Mostly doing preservation on the ship
Productive work environment Learn to manage personnel
Team Leader - Ordnance Evolutions (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 5, 2016
I've grown within the US Navy. I've climbed the ranks from E-1 to E-5. Had to learn how to manage personnel effectively. I've had to make quick decisions in short time frames. I've guided the careers of over 160 sailors as a Career Counselor. The hardest part of my job was going on deployments. Although I am deeply proud of my service, I'm ready to tackle the civilian world head on! The most enjoyable part of my job was helping junior sailors achieve their personal and professional goals.
Pros
Health Care, Traveling
Cons
Long hours, deployments
Navy
Utilitiesman Third Class and Company clerk (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MSFebruary 5, 2016
This was the greatest experience of my life. I traveled to places I never though I would. I met people from all over the world. I learned many skills, including responsibility, team work and ownership for my actions.
Great
E-5 second Class Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 5, 2016
I was in an environment that was very productive and great for my well being. The travel was great and I definitely loved the people that I worked with.
Pros
everything
Cons
work
Challenging, but rewarding.
System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 5, 2016
Dynamic environment, high-risk high-reward. The diverse training was both enjoyable, and challenging. There was a consistent push to cross-train.
Great job, just not for me
Firecontrolman (Former Employee) –  FPO, AEFebruary 5, 2016
A work day as a Firecontrolman is pretty easy when pulled into port. You come in at 0630, clean spaces, do some maintenance, and then go home at 1430 or 1500.

Management is horrible in most cases. A lot of micro management when none is needed. Also, even when you give a good idea to improve something, it gets brushed aside as if it wasn't worth it.

The co-workers are great. I have made some life time friends.

The hardest part of the day was having to do busy work. Other than that its fun for the rest of the day
Pros
Great benefits and pay
Job was enjoyable, traveled and saw amazing places,tough environment
Communications Electronics Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 5, 2016
The US Navy was a fulfilling temporary job. During 6 years I was able to see more places than I could have ever imagined! However, it soon becomes tiring being in the middle of the ocean for extended periods of time. Also, depending on the job/rate that you chose upon enlisting, determined how well you would advance to better positions, and I no such luck with this ordeal. Lastly, and most frustrating, the management. Due to the ranking system, those who got to the position were generally those who had been in for longer regardless of skill level or management knowledge resulting in incompetent leadership as well as leadership that does not care about its junior personnel due to a rotation at one station only being a couple years before you could change places and never worry about the people you worked with before.
Love it or Leave it I love it!
Maintenance Master Chief Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  Mayport, FLFebruary 5, 2016
22 years in the US Navy and I loved everyday of it. I learned teamwork, leadership, mentorship and what being part of a team really means. I can not describe it in a paragraph, you have to live it to know it and I did it the best way I could fast forward.
Pros
Being part of a team
Cons
Being away al lot
Productive environment with lots of travel opportunity
Blue Team Analyst (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 5, 2016
If you like to travel on a big gray ship and do all kinds of work that may or may not be related to your training, then this just might be for you! Great benefits, retirement plan, and very diverse workplace.
Secure but no advancement
F&B (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 5, 2016
It is a great job but I am unable to advance in my field.
Salary and benefits typical of any other large company.
The Military can be very frustrating and is behind the times in tech

4.5