U.S. Navy
10,148 reviews

U.S. Navy United States Employee Reviews

Demanding Work environment that expects the Best
Electrician (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 27, 2015
Pros: Great Health Benefits
Cons: Requires a lot of sacrifice
I learned a lot about myself from being in the Navy and I wouldn't change a thing. The most enjoyable part of the job was the possibility of traveling the world while I was at a younger age.
Great place to work.
Petty Officer (Former Employee), JPCApril 26, 2015
Pros: Benefits, Easy to advance as long as you are doing what you are supposed to.
Cons: personal time. there isnt a whole lot unless you take leave. 80% of your time will be spent at work.
Good place to work good environment.
Benefits are outstanding.
Job security is great.
co-workers become family.
job is very rewarding.
"I had the opportunity to travel and to meet people from all over the country
Magazine Group Supervisor (Former Employee), USS Carl VinsonApril 26, 2015
Pros: Full medical and dental benefits
Cons: being away from family
Great benefits with the opportunity to advance your career while exploring the world. Job Security - Everyday you wake up knowing you still have a job. The pay and benefits are great but mostly that I get to serve my country.
Best job of my life.
Avionics Electronics Technician - (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXApril 26, 2015
Pros: Security and friends
Cons: Long deployments
The camaraderie was excellent. Life long friends. World travel. What else can you say about jets, ships....and ports?
Stable
Leading Petty Officer (Former Employee), United StatesApril 26, 2015
Pros: Education and training
Cons: Long work hours
The 20 years of service had rewards and pitfalls, personal achievements of getting those around you promoted to ranks not expected by others.
Diverse and multifaceted work environment
Logistics Specialist / Supervisor (Current Employee), Norfolk, vaApril 26, 2015
Pros: Free housing
Cons: Constantly moving locations
Everyday you learn something new and are thrown into new situations, I learned to be highly adaptable. The hardest part of the job is adapting to the many different leadership styles I've encountered.
Challenging work place
Communications Assistant Leading Petty Officer (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 26, 2015
Managed 15 to 20 sailors in the day to day world of communications. The hardest part of the job was being away from my daughters for months at a time. The most enjoyable part was knowing I could assist with the day to day operations of the ship and aircraft communications to get the mission complete.
Outstanding and Rewarding
Maintenance Manager, Quality Assurance Supervisor (Former Employee), Brunswick, MaineApril 26, 2015
Pros: Rewarding and challenging
Cons: Time away from family
Recommend that every young man or women consider a career start in the USN. Great training, leadership and life skills acquisition. Would not trade the experience gained for any other start out of High School / Junior College.
productive diverse n fun place to work
Office Automation Clerk Summer Program (Former Employee), Quantico, VAApril 26, 2015
This job was so educational and fulfilling. It enhanced my work ethics, customer service and office skills. Very educational. I am a team player. I can say everyone on my team were as well. We got the job done and enjoyed.
Place which fosters great potential for growth and self development
Cytology Technician (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLApril 25, 2015
A Cytotechnologist is responsible for assisting Pathologists by prescreening specimens for the presence of precancerous/cancerous cells. In the medical field as a whole, especially within the military culture, you truly gain an unparellelled appreciation by way of understanding that every specimen collected or processed is more than just that...it is someone's loved one.

Management is an inescapable duty as a military member. However, just as much as management is expected to manage, it is imperative for all to recognize the necessity to be just as effective as a follower regardless of rank or title.

The hardest part of being a Cytotechnologist comes by way of missing precancerous cells during the screening phase. Mostly because it shakes the faith in your ability to catch the most obscure cancerous cells.
Adventure daily
P-3 Flight Engineer Instructor (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLApril 24, 2015
Pros: See the world
Cons: Some one must man the watch.
Chose your rate; chose your fate. The military isn't for someone that doesn't want to work hard for their country. If job satisfaction is something you seek, today's Navy has it and then some.
Great opportunity .
Data Analyst - QA (Former Employee), Point Mugu, CAApril 24, 2015
Pros: Great experience
Cons: Low Pay
The US Navy was an exciting opportunity in an early stage of my life and it set the tone and the high standards that now accompany my life and work ethics.

I remained in the aviation field and management both.
The job was great and the people I met were even better
Technical Manual Librarian (Former Employee), Everett, WAApril 24, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: Travel Alot
I learned a lot from being in the Navy and living aboard a ship but the most important things are that you have to learn to not be selfish, accepting of others who may be different, always be on time and most importantly patience.
Good travel and excellent on the job training
Machinest mate (Former Employee), Everett Wa.April 24, 2015
Would recommend the us navy to anyone who likes to learn and travel. Being gone for long periods of time is often hard, but was the best job I ever had
Its the military
Machinist Mate (MM2) (Former Employee), Norfulk VirginiaApril 24, 2015
Pros: Travel
Cons: Not home very often.
A typical day at work would began at 7am. Morning muster and work assignments. You work from 7 am till 8 or 9 pm.
I learned to work on hydraulics, pneumatics, pumps, valves, firefighting and first ad. Co-workers are great. You build lasting friendships that to this day I still have. Hardest part of the job is leaving for deployment for a minimum of 6 months. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the world.
Productive workplace
Boatswaine Mate (Current Employee), Pensacola, FLApril 24, 2015
Wake up early, be at work on time, complete the task of the day, and go home. I love the people I work with cause we are like a big family. I love that no matter where I go I will have some Navy family around.
High Speed Enviorment
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee), San Diego, CaliforniaApril 24, 2015
Pros: Good Benefits
Monitor the availability, use, or condition of lifesaving equipment or pollution preventatives to ensure that international regulations are followed. See more occupations related to this task.
Monitor engine, machinery, or equipment indicators when vessels are underway and report abnormalities to appropriate shipboard staff. See more occupations related to this task.
Maintain electrical power, heating, ventilation, refrigeration, water, or sewerage systems. See more occupations related to this task.
Record orders for changes in ship speed or direction and note gauge readings or test data, such as revolutions per minute or voltage output, in engineering logs or bellbooks. See more occupations related to this task.
Perform or participate in emergency drills, as required.
fun place to work and travel
NON-DESTRUCTIVE TECHNICIAN (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TXApril 24, 2015
Pros: travel, benefits
Cons: C-way / PTS
Navy allowed me to visit places and meet people, it is what you make out of it. Earn and learn at the same time. I would recommend the United States Navy to any younger kids if they want to have a better chance.
Great Educational Benifits
Training Manager (Current Employee), Gulfport NCBC, MSApril 24, 2015
The US Navy is an outstanding organization after 20 years you see a lot of changes. Both the good and bad. The works are some of the best and brightest in the US. It takes a lot of character to serve and fight for your country. I would not trade this experience for anything.
Learning Experience
COMMANDER, NAVAL SPECIAL WARFARE GROUP TWO (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VirginiaApril 23, 2015
Pros: Advancement
Cons: Travel
A great learning experience. Lots of traveling around the world. Additionally, the United States Navy was instrumental in my education. I learned a lot of skills to carry me over into the civilian sector.

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Navy

Imagine working with the most awe-inspiring equipment and technology the world has ever seen. Making your living as a rescue swimmer – Read more

U.S. Navy Salaries