U.S. Navy Employee Reviews in United States

Found 13,913 reviews matching the search
Great job security..
Powered Support Systems Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Quantico, VAJuly 24, 2016
The hardest part of the job is waiting on the call that you've received it. if you are not familiar with the jargon of the service that you are working with, it helps to get yourself acclimated. It prevents embarrassing moments where not knowing that the "bulkhead" is a wall, a "hatch" is a door or a set of stairs is called a "ladderwell".
Pros
Job security
Cons
Not good for creative types that can't follow directions
Productive and rewarding
Fire Controlman (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 23, 2016
The Navy has made me mature faster and in more ways I would have dreamed. Also it offered me the chance to get on my feet and learn a wide variety of skills that I will be able to offer the civilian work force. I am proud to have served but it is my time to move on to bigger and better things.
Pros
Healthcare, Food, Travel, college benefits
Cons
Away from home a lot with very long work hours at odd times
Great place to work love the people that i worked with.
electricians mate (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 23, 2016
While I was in the navy I learned the electrical trade. Normal working days were from 0700 to 1600. The best part of the job was trouble shooting and fixing just about anything. The hardest part of the job was leaving my wife for months at a time.
Pros
healthcare
Cons
leaving for long periods of time.
learning and growing up experience
Aircraft Director (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 23, 2016
was able to travel the world, worked with different walks of life on a daily basis, a work day could consist of painting, cleaning, taking up non-skid on the flight deck, fighting a fire, launching aircraft off of the ship and recovering them. most enjoyable part of the Navy was being able to travel the world and the people that I worked with.
Very Awarding Work!
Assistant Workspace Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Great Lakes, ILJuly 22, 2016
I loved my job as a hospital corpsman. Best rate in the Navy! Due to job in the navy, I found my true calling. :)
Pros
Benefits, education
Cons
stress, workload
A good place to learn and have a great time.
Parking Manager (Former Employee) –  Bremerton Naval Station, WAJuly 22, 2016
The Navy was a great place to learn maintenance, management and people skills. I was provided a chance to work on several different platforms, and several different types of people..
Great opertunities
Aviation machinists mate (Current Employee) –  Oak Harbor, WAJuly 22, 2016
The navy has allowed me to obtain great technical skills , for my career in the navy and for the same career out side of the navy.
Well Structured Work Environment
Close-in Weapon System Technician and Operator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 22, 2016
The US NAVY in short was a once in a life time experience that provide quality skills any employer would prefer in today’s work force. The job is vast and over welling but build a foundation of great work ethic, time management and problem solving. I am very proud to have served my country in the US NAVY.
Pros
Job Security, Free Medical, Free Dental
Cons
Deployments that could last 10 months away from family and friends
Navy
Gunners Mate (Former Employee) –  Mayport Naval Station, FLJuly 22, 2016
How to write a review for the Navy. 4 solid years started as a undesignated seaman but after 1 year picked up the rate of Gunner's Mate. Working with all the guns on the ship, Loading,Shooting,Cleaning, Issuing out,Teaching the crew how to shoot and ATFP. Served 2 deployments in the Middle East,Africa, Europe, Black sea area and south America.
Excellent for world travel
Harbor Patrol Unit Crewmember (Current Employee) –  Bremerton, WAJuly 22, 2016
Ability to work outside of comfort levels, learning new things and different approaches. Amazing healthcare and dental plans, life insurance. 30 days paid vacation days.
Productive workplace.
Operations Specialist/AEGIS Operator (ADS) (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 22, 2016
The US Navy is very productive and has many sailors to work along side. I learned many management skills. Going to explore new places in the world is my most enjoying memory of the navy. i enjoyed my service years and really learned a lot.
Assist the Navy Support Center (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 22, 2016
is not bad at all. Its just like any other job. To work for the Navy you have to be patient, focus individual .
pros: benefit

cons" away from family and friends you months
High stress environment, poor work/life balance, excellent benefits
Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  Pearl Harbor, HIJuly 22, 2016
The US Navy is an excellent place to start if you don't know where to go and would like to develop some kind of skill. There are plenty of options available however, depending on which job you go for there is quite a bit of personal sacrifice that goes along with it. You will not have much time with family, lots of travel sometimes on short notice, if you get stationed on a ship you will eventually be deployed. There is a lot to gain here if you need somewhere to start in life.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
High stress, poor work/life balance
Military
Recruiting Office Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 21, 2016
Great Branch. Everyday is different. Hardest part is relocating from home and every three years. Management can be youthful, so if working for someone with less life experience is a problem, apply for officer or move on.
Pros
No financial worried
Cons
Too much stress put on the hard workers.
Alot of work with zero leadership or respect.
Aviation Mechanic Inspector (Former Employee) –  Yigo, GUJuly 21, 2016
Not worth the time. Not appreciated for any work done while every one above you receives your credit. Got a lot of work experience but that is about it.
Long hours and poor use of time.
Aviation Electrician (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJuly 21, 2016
I learned the meaning of a long hard day at work. Management was was lacking, and poor use of time. Multiple times many departments had to stay past closing time even if only one department was actually working. Dismal use of man hours.
Pros
Job security, and healthcare.
Cons
Lacking management and effective use of time.
Get what you put in
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 21, 2016
Lots of benefits but the sacrifice is great. Single people should have no problem with Navy life, but it is not for families.
Gas Turbine Mechanic (Former Employee) –  YOKOSUKA, JAPAN; GREAT LAKES, ILLINOISJuly 21, 2016
Team work
Hardest part of being in the military is being away from family for years.
Most enjoyable is traveling and seeing the world.
The Navy is what you make it
Air Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  New Jersey and on the USS NIMITZJuly 20, 2016
There are many people who hate the navy and many who like it. I loved it. The basic concept is "it is what you make it." Some time you get to work 4 days a week 4-5 hour shifts, and some time you have to work 7 days a week 20 hours a day. If you can handle being away from your family and making the best of the day then you will enjoy the navy, but if you want the M-F, 9-5 it is not the job for you.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Hours
department of the Navy
Auditor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 20, 2016
its great! flexible hours, great pay, upperward mobility, interesting work. hardest part of the job is staying busy during down time. management is different it depends on what directorate you work in what type of environment you will experience.
Pros
pay is great
Cons
slow process

4.4