U.S. Navy
9,403 reviews

U.S. Navy Employer Reviews

Awesome
Gunner's Mate (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAFebruary 26, 2015
It was the best experience of my entire life. I wanted to make a career out of it but my rate was overmanned. I was able to launch 55 missiles before I was discharged. It was really fun and I got to see the world in the process. They also paid for me to get my BA degree.
Very busy
Aviation Structural Mechanic (Former Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: experiance gained
Cons: no set hours, could work 8hrs could work 18hrs.
Assisted in Command Readiness with Inspections, documentation, working with high ranking individuals to keep training and licensing up to date, as well as safety reports.
Typical work day is busy. When not working on reports, i assisted in trouble shooting systems for multiple commands.
Most enjoyable part of the job was the people i worked with. Hardest part of the job was working with higher ranks.
Military
Military (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXFebruary 26, 2015
fun

hard tough work

good team work

good travel

not much down time

work more hours then sleep

learned more about guns and mechanics
The U. S. Navy is a good place to work.
Senior Manager (Current Employee), Port Hueneme, CAFebruary 26, 2015
The U. S. Navy gives you great training and the opportunity to advance in the ranks, advancement is unlimited if you take advantage of it.
Proud to have served in the greatest Navy.
Evaluator Supervisor (Former Employee), Coronado, CAFebruary 26, 2015
Typical day starts with a morning muster to ensure everyone is accounted for. A morning meeting occurs,then tasks and priorities are given through the chain of command to ensure execution of tasks.During the day,the status is updated for each task and the chain is notified when tasks are completed.

I learned an abundance of skills such as teamwork, leadership, work ethic, and our guiding principles of honor, courage and commitment.

In the Navy management is referred as leadership and chain of command.

Co-workers were my fellow sailors or shipmates.Good teamwork with co-workers was key.

The hardest part of the job was leaving the family for extended periods.

The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that you were a part of the greatest Navy of the world and contributed to accomplishing great things.
Very professional work place.
Petty Officer Third Class (Former Employee), Dahlgren, VAFebruary 26, 2015
You develop a relationship with your job, your shipmates, and your country that you cannot find in any other profession.
Excellent Training and Skill Developement
Assistant Quality Assurance Officer (Current Employee), Bangor, WAFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: advancement opportunities
Cons: time spent on deployments / away from family
Typical work day varies greatly by assigned rating.

All ratings provide excellent skill development and advancement opportunities for those with a good work ethic.

Leadership varies by command and changes often, providing invaluable skills for adapting to different leadership styles and in developing your own leadership abilities.

Work groups (divisions) are tight-knit groups of individuals, in large part due to the amount of time you will spend together while at sea.

Most enjoyable aspects of this job are related to the visits conducted at foreign ports. Some ratings will experience less of the port visits than others.
Its what you make it to be.
Aviation Electrician's Mate Third Class (Current Employee), NAF Atsugi, JapanFebruary 26, 2015
A place where you take all your High school views and expand them with others. Not really a place for people with social difficulties. Demands many hours and dedication.
the best job i ever had
Awards Clerk (Former Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: good people, great job satisfaction
Cons: can no longer remain in due to disability
worked as a parachute rigger 2nd class and worked on emergency aircraft equipment and aircrew survival gear. managed equipment for 6, 90 million dollar aircraft and deployed to several overseas assignments. worked on E2-C hawkeye aircraft and helped manage production and fabrication deadlines as well as mange crew and training schedules. later managed awards and merger of east coast and west coast wing commands.
Outstanding opportunity to serve this great nation.
Command Master Chief (Former Employee), VariousFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: travel the world
Cons: separation from family
I have enjoyed my 30 years serving my country. I had the opportunity to travel the world, visiting 22 different countries during my time serving. I met and worked with some of the greatest Americans and will truly miss that bond. Now I am ready to start my second lifetime career.
Excellent place to enter the workforce
Facility Manager (Current Employee), Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 26, 2015
Young people have the opportunity to enter the workforce to:

Obtain OJT
College
Learn new job skills
Become an expert in multiple career fields
It was an adventure
Electrical Plant Operator (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: good way to start your life out of high school.
Cons: you do not see your family for months at a time.
Re-wire ships electrical components. How to wire lights, motors, etc. Management let you do your job. Co-workers were always there to help you as needed. Being at sea for weeks. Travel the world.
It's not a job, it's not a career, its a Lifestyle
AVIATION ELECTRONICS TECHNICIAN (Former Employee), Oak Harbor, WAFebruary 26, 2015
The title says it all. Being a sailor is a way of life. The people that you work with are your family, whether you like it or not. So long as you keep your mind on your brothers and sisters and are all about serving a higher purpose, this is the place for you. If you're a free spirit that likes to tread your own path, or are only willing to work with others on a strictly professional level, stay away. This isn't for you.
Over all great experience
Naval Officer (Former Employee), Various locationsFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: Great people
Cons: Deployments
Good experience working for our country. Serving with both the Navy and the Marine Corps gave me an appreciation for those serving in the armed forces. Had many opportunities that are unique to serving in the armed forces.

My Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Residency was unique. I not only worked at the Naval Regional Medical Center in Great Lakes, but also worked at MD Anderson Hospital in Houston, TX, the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, and at several other medical centers.
Great Adventure
Information Technician Manager (Former Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 25, 2015
Everyday was like a new adventure. Learn what you could from the individuals that had been there and done that. You only had one shot as far as making it in the Navy. And what a great career I had!
The Best Job I Ever Had
Undesignated Fireman (Former Employee), Chicago, IL / Charleston, SC / San Diego, CAFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: job security, travel, educational aid, numerous chances for advanced learning
Cons: underways and deployments impeded family involvement and communication.
As a serviceman in the U.S. Navy, I was subjected to rigorous tests and multiple trainings. Not one was easy and all were pertinent. I have never been more satisfied with a job then when I was a military member.
unfair promoting practices
Petty Officer/ Supervisor (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: great travel
Cons: away from home too much
Medical retirement caused my career to be ended shortly. I am very happy to have served the great people of the United States.
A great way to start a career
CTM (Current Employee), Washington DCFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: great benefits, good pay
Cons: lots of bureaucracy and things you have to do that are not related to your job.
I truly enjoyed my 4 yrs in the US Navy, I got to receive experience in the IT field, got to see a lot of the world and made some lifetime friends. I would recommend joining the Navy/Military to anyone wanting to start a career, whether that be in the Military or transferring your skills to the civilian world.
The benefits of being in the military were great, but I didn't enjoy my job.
Operations Specialist (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: free housing, food, travel, medical, and dental
Cons: aggressive management, overtime work without overtime pay, on-call 24/7, months at sea without seeing land
A typical day at work involved my monitoring a radar scope for up to 12 hours and establishing data communications from my ship to other ships. Here, I learned all about data flow between equipment and ships and how to monitor airspace to prevent potentially hostile threats to US assets. Management was necessarily strict, as most of our time overseas was spent in a war zone. My co-workers were from a variety of backgrounds and helped get me through the tough days. The hardest part of the job was multi-tasking, monitoring several different screens and trying to communicate with multiple personnel simultaneously. The best part of the job was, without a doubt, interacting with my co-workers.
expanded outlook of the world
Electronics Technician Sat (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAFebruary 25, 2015
Enjoyed service . Was very grateful for training. exposed to people and places in positive way. Worked at first large fixed earth station and enjoyed the work. felt accomplishment every day.

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Navy

The US Navy maintains a variety of military equipment like ballistic missile submarines, aircraft carriers, surface warships, – Read more