U.S. Navy
9,049 reviews

U.S. Navy Employer Reviews

Serving aboard a United States Ship
Gunners Mate (Former Employee), USS Neosho AO 143January 25, 2015
Pros: free room and board, with meals
Cons: sea duty
My day began around 6:00 am, with breakfast followed by an all hands on deck to sweep an mop the entire vessel. Followed by the same routine each day, cleaning and maintaining the ships weapons. I learned discipline, to value time, teamwork, and to respect my fellow man. I meet and worked with people from all over the United States. The hardest part of my job was handling large ammunition, safely. The most enjoyable part of my job was watching the weapons actually fire after I worked on them.
Crisis management abounds
Shipyard Operations Management Analyst (Current Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 25, 2015
The opportunity is what you make of it but quite frankly management doesn't know whether its up or down.
Tough work but rewarding
Navy Recruiter (Former Employee), San Diego, CaJanuary 25, 2015
Helps get you out of your comfort zone. Great training in sales and marketing.
Best Time of my Life
Missile Technician (Former Employee), Chicago IL, Groton CT, Kings Bay GAJanuary 25, 2015
Pros: benefits, experience, comradery
Cons: long periods away from home
A typical day would include emergency drills, standing watch, and doing maintenance.
Most of my technical skills have come from my work.
The officers I delt with were, for the most part, easy to get along with and willing to listen to subordinate's thoughts when dealing with problems.
Most of the other sailors were easy going and fun to work with.
The hardest part was the months at sea.
The most enjoyable part was the comradery.
Great organization
Aviation Electronics Technician (Current Employee), Norfolk, VirginiaJanuary 25, 2015
Pros: too many to name
Cons: very demanding high stress enviornment
Typical work day starts bright and early, for an entry level employee it will include checking in with your supervisor and receiving daily tasking.
challenging, enjoyed troubleshooting and fixing the problem
Gas Turbine Systems Electrical (Former Employee), Norfolk, VirginaJanuary 24, 2015
Pros: 30 days vacation a year. the team work was great.
Cons: deployed an average of six months every 2 years
maintenance supervisor responsible for 3 Gas Turbine Generators and 4 Gas Turbine Engines. I learned how to prioratize jobs and schedule maintenance effectively.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Computer Engineer (Current Employee), Charleston, SCJanuary 24, 2015
Great place to work! The opportunities are endless. The most enjoyable part of the day is knowing you are making a difference.
High stress environment
GSM3, Engineroom Technician (Former Employee), Joint Base Pearl Hbr Hickam, HIJanuary 24, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: time away
Stressful, demanding work. It' s the military, it has its price. Thats why less than 1% of Americas population enlist. I learned alot of mechanical skills, the best people to work with in the world but some of the hardest people to work FOR! Hardest part of job is the time away from family.
Military Life
Logistics Specialist (Former Employee), Millington TNJanuary 24, 2015
Pros: the travel, i've been, seen, and lived in over 18 different countries.
Cons: not able to see your family, or having all of your own time.
Honestly it changed with duty stations. For the most part I dealt with the mail, and parts. I learn to work with others, and what team work really means. My co-works came from all walks of life, and offered me a look at not just different people, but different cultures as well. Once again management changed with commands, so it was different from place to place. The hardest part of the job was the hours. Sometimes you could have it easy, others it would be around the clock. No telling what would happen.
AMAZING
Hospital Corpsman 3rd Class, (Former Employee), Jacksonvile NCJanuary 24, 2015
It was a great experience. The training education and the life style is something that is unforgettable. I would recommend anyone who is thinking about enlisting to go for it!! The people you meet from all over the world and being able to travel is exciting.. Everything you get is earned and not given to you!!!
The best experience of my life
Aviation Electricians Mate (Former Employee), Oak HArbor, WashingtonJanuary 24, 2015
Pros: paid well, saw the world
Cons: deployments were dangerous and kept me away from family
I was an Aviation Electricians mate for my 5 years of service in the US Navy. The job taught me how to show up early, look my best, and take my job very seriously because one small mistake could cost lives.
hard work that reuires many hour
Nuclear Machinist Mate (Former Employee), NavyJanuary 24, 2015
Pros: taken care of with pay, food, housing
Cons: huge commitment with long hours and out to sea for months
work all day and all night if necessary
lots of knowledge based training that is provided for you by the navy
free food training housing medical dental
spouse and family taken care of
management can be demanding
coworkers can become a tight-knit group
rewarding work environment
Work with great teammates and saw the world
Petty Officer 2nd Class / GMG2 (Former Employee), 8 years sea serviceJanuary 24, 2015
I would recommend anyone coming out of high school that wants a secure job with great advancement opportunity and a desire to travel and see the world to join the U.S. NAVY
Productive workplace with great benefits
Logistics Specialist 2nd Class (Former Employee), Honolulu, HI and Everett, WAJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: health and dental care, guarenteed pay, travel
Cons: being away from home
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and discovering other countries.
A typical day at work would be to clean, and provide customer service.
Management was the same as any other job. There are good ones, and there are bad ones.
Co-workers are great, unless they don't do anything and you end up doing their job, but again you will run into that issue at almost every job.
Supervisor
HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGER (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: very high paced job
Cons: recruiters are spread out over a large geographical area
Supervise the production of 25 recruiters in 10,000 square mile radius. Each day I am in a recruiting station reviewing planners, and tracking appointments and interviews per recruiter to ensure the maximum amount of effort is put into their plan for the day and week. Analyze market data to verify proper markets are being hit and presentations are being conducting at the right schools and business's. Complete training topics on any discrepancy found during my office visit.
Great place to Learn!
Gunners Mate (Former Employee), FL, IL, HI, AZ, SC, PA, SC, TN, SC, FLJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: lifetime health care
U.S. Navy, Proud to have been a member of the World's Greatest Navy!
GREAT EXPERINCE OVERALL
electrician (Former Employee), NEWPORT NEWS,VAJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: great benefits
Cons: long hours
IT WAS A GREAT EXPERINCE SERVING MY COUNTRY AND GETTING TO MEET ALL TYPES OF PEOPLE AND PEOPLE WHO COME FROM ALL WALKS OF LIFE.THE HARDEST PART OF MY JOB WAS TO KNOW THAT I HAD TO LEAVE MY CHILD AT ANY TIME.
Productive environment with plenty of structure
Logistic Specialist (Former Employee), N.A.S. Willow Grove, PAJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: benefits, advancement, structure.
Cons: deployments-if you're married or have children
Very structured environment. Great training. Usually in most commands you'll find great leadership looking to build up their sailors. Pretty even work/home balance when not deployed. I truly enjoyed my time in the Navy.
productive and fun
Program Analyst GS (Former Employee), Arlington, VAJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: security
Cons: relocated
•Maintain and manage contract pricing & change request files. Ensure logs and reports are continually updated to provide cost and billing data to management teams.
•Follow up with General Contractors for billing and payment issues
•Assist in maintaining purchase orders and material purchases records (Data entry and file maintenance, and more as needed)
•Ability to obtain notary certification
•Provide general office support for the Operations Coordinator as requested.
— Mail distributions, meeting arrangements, photocopying, faxing, office supply inventory, filing.
— Special Projects as assigned.
•Ability to juggle multiple projects with accuracy
•Strong sense of urgency and problem solving skills
•Attention to detail with strong organizational & administrative skills
•Team player with a positive attitude
The Navy offered a vast majority of leaders who taught me many lessons.
third class petty officer I supervised (Former Employee), San diego , CaliforniaJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: three meals a day, pay, health care, location
Cons: overnight stay, gone for weeks at a time, deployment
My first command was very different from the last. At my first command the USS San Diego LPD22 i went through many phases of the ship & crews readiness for deployment. During last phase the day started at 5:45 am through 5:30pm, my supervisors would delegate the assignments to us the " work supervisors " who would take a groups of sailors to complete a task. In the mornings i would handle all the paperwork necessary for the day, taking muster, preparing training reports, and any other documents my superiors instructed me to make ready. Say for example we are doing preventative maintenance, i would directed my group to gather supplies needed for the assignment and give a plan for how i expected work to executed. By the end of the day myself and the rest of the work supervisors would meet with our supervisors to share our progress for the day. Before we let anyone go for the day we would gather everyone and divide them into pairs to clean our spaces on the ship own by our department. At the San diego many of our assignments called for more time than we where allotted, i learned time management and how to handle subordinates under great stress.The hardest part of the this job was the work environment it self it was very fast paced with long hours, and very abrasive individuals above me in my chain of command. At the same time it prepared me for any stressful environment i may encounter in the future. The best part of the job was working side by side with my subordinates, their characters made the hard times enjoyable and we often enjoyed the work itself.

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Navy

The US Navy maintains a variety of military equipment like ballistic missile submarines, aircraft carriers, surface warships, – Read more