U.S. Navy
9,474 reviews

U.S. Navy Employer Reviews

n/a
(Steal Worker) Second Class Petty Officer (Current Employee), Washington, VAMarch 5, 2015
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
It's an experience both good and bad, but wouldn't mind doing it all over again and again. While Active I seen a lot of different places that other people would only see through facebook or television.
Professional workplace while also serving and protecting our great nation
Aviation Ordnanceman (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 4, 2015
Working in the United States Navy not only was very enjoyable, but also makes me proud of the accomplishments I've made along with my sailors by my side. The U.S. Navy is not your typical 9-5 job, but I enjoyed every minute. The sacrifices you make are by far worth it. More than anything, I've learned to appreciate what I have in life and to never stop working towards every goal and dream I have.
best job on earth.
Constructionmen (Former Employee), Oxnard, CAMarch 4, 2015
Pros: great benefits
Cons: time away from family
everyone's experience in the military was different. My experience was a good one. i like to travel and meet new people. my job was in construction which is my passion and being able to do what i love was a bonus.
Very active position with vast growing potential
ASSISTANT MANAGER- Multi (Current Employee), United States/ CaliforniaMarch 4, 2015
Pros: free health care
Cons: crazy deployment schedules
US Navy Logisitcs Specialist for over 8 years and has been a very dynamic and efficient position. Most enjoyable was learning different types of supply and methods. Hardest part of the job was the schedule. I was able to maintain it but sometimes it didnt make sense with the current projection of work.
Travel the world but a lot of work
Electronics Technician / Reactor Operator (Former Employee), The worldMarch 4, 2015
Pros: free travel
Cons: long hours out of contact with family.
Fast Attack submarine life involves long period underwater out of contact with society. Hard on family and the sailor..... but great team and sense of accomplishment.....
great training and skills
Petty Officer Second Class (Former Employee), Norfolk, VaMarch 4, 2015
Will receive great training and skills as long as you are dedicated and open minded. Expansive cultures. Always great benefits and retirement plan.
Very Challenging and Rewarding
US Navy Leading Chief Petty Officer (Former Employee), Norfolk, VaMarch 4, 2015
Pros: medical/dental benefits, paid vacation and upward mobility.
Cons: long hours and no overtime pay incentives
A typical day involved a lot of meetings, decision making and training junior personnel

I learned how to be a strong leader and manager and the ability to adapt to any situation.

I enjoyed learning different things about my CO-workers

The hardest part about my job was that it required me to be on travel a lot

The most enjoyable part was meeting many different diversified people and learning new things every single day but most of all training and teaching junior personnel.
Graduated IT "A" school
Information Systems Technician (Current Employee), Pensacola FlMarch 4, 2015
Since I have recently graduated schooling for Information system Technician, I have not been able to work in the field because for administrative reasons. The ships can not accommodate a gluten free diet, so I am unable to go to sea and do my job.
Exciting but fast paced and time intensive career
Naval Officer (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 4, 2015
Pros: foreign country visits, hard working sailors
Cons: fewer sailors, less money, older ships, time away from family and friends
Military life is a difficult balance for a family.

There are no typical days at work as the schedule is fluid depending on the operational requirements for the ship assigned. I had some days where I would be at work for 16 hours followed by a 24 hour shift on the ship. Weekends generally are workdays and whenever the ship is away from home port, the work day is continuous.

I learned a vast amount of knowledge and gained invaluable training during my time in the military.

My co-workers are a collection of individuals from all walks of life with different backgrounds.

The hardest part of the job was the shifting status of the military. They wanted to reduce the total workforce and provide less money to complete maintenance and repairs on ships that were well past their service life, which contributed to a high operational tempo, long work days, and more time at sea. This lowered the moral of numerous Sailors, so one of the greatest challenges was keeping the team focused while still ensuring that everything was done in a timely and efficient manner.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the challenges each day possessed and working as a team to solve the issues. The travel was also a plus as I saw many foreign countries that I would have otherwise never seen.
progress is manditory
United States Navy Culinary Specialist (Former Employee), JPCMarch 4, 2015
The best and hardest accomplishment that I acquired with the Navy, would have to be strong working punctuality. Also traveling the world and experiencing new cultures.
working in key west is the best location I have worked.
Tactical Systems Officer (Former Employee), Key West, FLMarch 4, 2015
Pros: the work experience, and the location of the base.
Cons: the leaders do not listen all the time.
The hardest part of the job for me was to not become personally attached to my work. I completely became attached with what was going on and when things did not turn out the way we needed them to I took it personally.
HARD WORK
Culinary Specialist (Former Employee), Midwest City, OKMarch 4, 2015
CS is the most thankless job in the Navy. The work hours are brutal. Nobody will have a good word for you when the chow is good and when the chow is bad you'll never hear the end of it.

you are assigned to a ship you will live and work on that ship both when deployed and not deployed. That ship is your home.

Deployments are 6 months long on average. When no deployed you should plan on being at sea half the time.

On the average day, at sea, you'll have 4 to 6 hours of free time when you're not working. You'll work 7 days a week.

In port you'll work 5 days a week (6 if you have duty on a weekend) and work about 14 hours per day.
Structured work environment with your typical highs and lows
United States Navy Yeoman (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FL / Washington, DC / Norfolk, VAMarch 4, 2015
Overall I have served in the Navy for about 10 years. Like any job it has its pros and cons. Job security is a pro, but the constant change in work environment based on the individuals working has been on a few occasions a con. This however has allowed me to work on my personnel skills and dealing with a revolving door of coworkers.

Over the past 10 years the navy has taught me several different styles of leadership skills, and given me an insight on different avenues of dealing with challenges that come in the work environment.

Overall my time in the Navy has been rewarding but I am ready to move onto bigger and better experiences.
A True Honor
Petty Officer First Class (Former Employee), Mayport, FLMarch 4, 2015
Pros: a truely professional environment.
Cons: the job literally was my personal life as well.
The greatest honor of my life to date has been in service to my country in the United States Navy.
An Excellent organization that lives its Core Values of Honor, Courage and Committment.
Great sense of honor
Aviation Electronic Technician (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAMarch 4, 2015
No better feeling in the world than serving your country. Loved deployments, and the experience gained from the people and time on job.
Exciting and Stressfull
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), CaliforniaMarch 4, 2015
Everyday is completely different, you need to have a strong mind set to be in the military. Your going to meet a lot of different people and go a lot of different places.
N/A
Nuclear Machinist Mate (Former Employee), South Carolina/HawaiiMarch 4, 2015
The Navy was an interesting experience. I learned and lot and met several fascinating people. That being said I didn't enjoy the submarine life. Which contributed greatly to my decision to not reenlist.
Proud to Serve
Human Specialist and Security detail (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAMarch 3, 2015
Pros: health benefits, education benefits, choice of locations
Cons: deployments, long hours
The Navy leadership is capable in general. The time at sea was hard but helped me to work around anything as a civilian in any job. I sincerely enjoyed working with the wide spectrum of customers and coworkers.
Great professional development and experience
YEOMAN (ADMINISTRATIONMAN) (Former Employee), Coronado, CAMarch 3, 2015
Pros: experience, traveling, exposure to different culture
The Navy served as a great foundation for the rest of my life. I learned a lot about the world and about myself. The Navy allowed me to accomplish more than I imagined I was capable of.
The military wasn't for me
Electricians Mate (Former Employee), Bremerton, WAMarch 3, 2015
Learned a lot of valuable skills but the hardest part was the hours and the compensation. Pay was much less and co-workers were extremely difficult to work with

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Navy

The US Navy maintains a variety of military equipment like ballistic missile submarines, aircraft carriers, surface warships, – Read more

U.S. Navy Salaries