U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Found 18,163 reviews matching the search
Long periods at sea, no home life
Sonar Technician Submarines (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 19, 2017
I was stationed on a nuclear submarine and spent long periods at sea. The people I worked with were all professionals and performed their jobs that way. compensation was very little for the time spent.
Pros
Training and the people I worked with.
Cons
Long periods at sea and little time with my family.
Government
Aviation Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 19, 2017
USN
Chance to travel.
Earn benefits for school and housing.
Work long hour, weekends and holidays.
Dangerous during times of conflict. Can also be dangerous on board ships and during deployment.
Incredible experience working with people from all over the world.
Ship's Serviceman (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 19, 2017
Learned a lot, worked a lot, and management was awesome. I learned how to work in in a military office, to firefighting, to working with sales. I worked a lot because there would be days where we would work 12 hours a day 7 days a week when we were out to sea and undermanned. The crew and management team were awesome because they would help you and treat you like a family or team.
Good
Department Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 19, 2017
Great to start out of high school. You travel alot. You learn a lot of different jobs. You become a family. You learn the values that a sailor can use for the rest of their life.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Your family is not inside your seabag. So you will learn to deal with that. It takes time.
Not for me
Senior Chief (Current Employee) –  World wideJuly 19, 2017
Nothing really changes from boat to boat. The only thing that really affects climate is your chain of command. If you have good bosses, you might be happier than others.
Great employer
Logistics Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort WorthJuly 19, 2017
Great leadership throughout military career. Great benefits which allowed me to earn my degree once leaving active duty service. Got a chance to travel the world.
Great Career
Military Police Officer (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJuly 19, 2017
Working in the military is a great experience. You are apart of something bigger than your self and get to work with a huge team of people. Worked as a police office for the Navy and it taught me a lot out in the civilian world.
Pros
benfits, travel, experience
Cons
pay, danger
Great benefits and good to its employers
Enlisted (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 19, 2017
Being enlisted in the United States Navy was a great experience for me. It accelerated my life and taught me how to be a better person and worker. After leaving the navy i feel like I can do great at any job i have in the future
Pros
Great benefits and people
Cons
Long unpredictable hours and poor advancement
The best job I've ever had.
Aviation Structural Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Lemoore Naval Air Station, CAJuly 19, 2017
It was definitely an experience I will never forget or regret. It helped me grow as a person considering you work with people from different walks of life, you have to adapt to their lifestyle and understand what upsets them or works well with them. There were very long hours but I feel like it helped me prepare for my future in other work places.
Pros
Traveling
Cons
Long work hours
Travel and Experience
Mess Specialist/Damage Control Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 19, 2017
Joining the Navy literally saved my Life. I was living on the streets from the age of 13-19, when I joined the Navy. I learned a great skill as a cook and Baker, while also learning damage control as a secondary job. I would say every person should be required to join the military, to get the discipline of life and how to show respect to others.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Travel
Cons
Danger, Days and hours working, Difficult times around the world
good job
Nuclear Machinist Mate (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WAJuly 19, 2017
I enjoyed my time in the navy. I got a chance to see the word and make a lot of good friends. It is not a good job for someone with a family. Long hours away from home.
Great career path and training
INFORMATION TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDJuly 19, 2017
I entered the Navy hoping for IT experience and to help with college and did just that. It is far from easy, but you have officers who are genuinely there to help you. Was great to be part of a team.
Pros
Great career path. Training. Stability.
Cons
long hours, low pay at start
Great Experience, not for everyone.
Flight Engineer/Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Whidbey Island, WAJuly 19, 2017
The United States Navy isn't like any employer in the world, and every job is very different. I was fortunate enough to be a naval flight engineer aboard a p3c Orion, which was an awesome job, but it wasn't easy. It took nearly 3 years of training until I was qualified, and only then did I really get to enjoy the perks of being a second class petty officer. Sure benefits are great, but you have to remember you're in the military, and there are still quite a bunch of old fashion folks out there.
Pros
Benefits, Holidays, Pride
Cons
Benifits, Holidays, Deployments, Work/life Balance
Great
Uniform Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Great Lakes, ILJuly 19, 2017
The military is a great opportunity it also you to travel with great pay and health benefits as well as helping with school. Especially when going young it gives you a different start on life
Great Life Experience
Gas Turbine Mechanics Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pearl Harbor, HIJuly 19, 2017
Good if you want to see the world and gain work experience. Most of your time will be away from family and offshore. Long days, few break periods and hard work all around.
Pros
Great Benefits/ Work Experience
Cons
Family Life is Deterred
2nd Shift Pump Room Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 19, 2017
The Navy is what out make of it. If you are single life can be great for you. Married people it wear and tear on your relationship. If you like to travel and spend time away from your family this is the place for you.
Pros
Awesome benefits
Cons
Away from family
Like every other job in the world it has its ups and downs.
Airman (E-3) (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 19, 2017
Honestly best decision I've ever made in my life was to join the navy. Helps you grow and see the world with completely different eyes. As my time is up thought, I have nothing bad to say about the NAVY.
Us military
Aviation Boatswain's Mate Handler (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 18, 2017
Military life is the best life, the best job, the best opportunity out of high school if youre not sure what to do with your life, very good pay and plenty of time off.
Pros
Free everything
Cons
out to sea
Navy Career
Command Financial Specialist (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJuly 18, 2017
24 Year successful career. Obtained required training an able to utilize the training in the operational environment to satisfy the mission requirements.
See the world
Submarine Communication Electronic Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 18, 2017
Great place to start your job career if you don't want to go to college.
If you don't like the ocean this defiantly isn't the job for you.
Shipmates become brothers for life
Pros
Paid to travel the world
Cons
May have to pack up and leave at a moments notice for up to nine months

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Navy. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4