U.S. Navy

12.4K reviews

U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Found 11,857 reviews matching the search
Traveling, new assignments, exciting, fun and adventurous
Naval Avionic Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego CA, Millington, TN, Lemoore Ca,February 11, 2016
The Navy provided very stable work. I loved the travel, New temporary duty stations. new challenges, wide variety of skills taught. Dangerous, Exciting and fun.
Pros
Steady Pay, New asignments, new Challenges
Cons
No choice and no longer a citizen. Property of the United States
Its the Navy
Hull Technician (Former Employee) –  Groton, CTFebruary 11, 2016
Its the Navy not much more to say there. Boot camp then on to your post. Wish i could have learned more about welding then they offered. Good travel
awesome
CULINARY SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Fort Lee, VAFebruary 11, 2016
greatest choice of my life, the only regret is that I wish I could do it again.I learned everything I needed in order to succeeded.
Pros
everything
Cons
everything
A strict work environment with coworkers who are basically family.
Aviation Machinist Mate (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 11, 2016
A typical morning at work consists of daily pre-op of protective equipment, support equipment, and mission mounted equipment followed by a pass down of maintenance and the workload.
You will then either service, troubleshoot, or do required maintenance on aircraft.

I learned a lot of discipline, responsibility, and leadership skills while working here. I am very knowledgeable of my job. The knowledge consists of understanding all engine, drive terrain, and fuel system functions and components.
Pros
Always busy, makes the day go by quick. Also very mentally rewarding to fix million dollar equipment.
Cons
Zero room for error.
Actively busy not a lot of down time
Marine Machinery Mechanic (Current Employee) –  WashingtonFebruary 11, 2016
A typical day consisted of daily maintenance and corrosion prevention. I learned how to be a positive leader and the importance of team work. The hardest part of the job is the >80 hour work weeks.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Time away from family
Productive work evironment executing our mission
Lead Electronics Technician/ Instructor (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLFebruary 11, 2016
Mission is the Launch and recover aircraft to complete their mission. Testing and troubleshooting various electronic communication and navigation equipment.
Great Hospital
SURGICAL TECHNOLOGIST (Current Employee) –  Fort Belvoir, VAFebruary 11, 2016
Great 10 operating room hospital with optimal patient care everyday. Really enjoyed everything I have done here with the greatest team you could have.
An amazing career to jumpstart your future
ATI "A" School Instructor (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLFebruary 11, 2016
The Navy is a great choice if you want to serve. They give you the training you need to be successful and mentorship is always right around the corner. The pace of work is always enough to stay busy and sometimes more. My family couldn't endure the deployments anymore so I had to transition out.
Pros
Benefits, security, training
Cons
High stress, Long hours
Great for creating America's next leaders
Petty Officer Second Class (Former Employee) –  Whidbey Island, WAFebruary 10, 2016
The navy afforded me the opportunity to have new challenges and experiences presented my way. Beyond being an aviation electrician I was introduced into the business aspect of the Navy. Analyzing costs, evaluating projects, and minimizing waste.

Early on the Navy showed me that I had a strong business aptitude.
Wish I could have stayed longer, but glad I didn't
Aviation Technician (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 10, 2016
Started work in the early AM, around 530am. Got the chance to experience many different types of supervisors. Military co-workers become a second family. We all look out for each other.
Pros
decent benefits, medical/dental
Cons
wish the pay was better

Want to know more about U.S. Navy?

Ask a question
It has many perks.
Aviation Machinist Mate (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 10, 2016
Work schedule is long considering there is a salary, but otherwise I enjoyed myself thoroughly while I was in. Definitely worth the experience.
Pros
money, job security
Cons
advancment low, no overtime pay
Absolutely loved the U.S. Navy
Retired as a Chief Personnel Specialist (Former Employee) –  Patuxent River, MDFebruary 10, 2016
I retired after serving my country for 24 years in the U.S. Navy. Loved every minute of it. Hated to leave and retire, but it was my time. Would return in a minute. Loved the support from executives and subordinates. Loved the travel, experiences that I had. Would not trade all of it for the world.
Pros
Travel, mission completion, friends, experiences
Cons
Leaving Family, leaving USA
Interesting
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FL 33616February 10, 2016
I have been with the Navy from 1999 to present and I have been to over 22 different countries that I would have never otherwise been able to go to, I have seen and done things most people only see on T.V.
It was a fun expierence but you dont really ever get to work.
Crew leader, led 10 personnel (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MSFebruary 10, 2016
Like I said it was a great expierence and I will forever be greatful that I got to serve my country . I met a lot of lifelong friends but work wise it wasn't very fulfilling I like to see my work benefit people or the company I work for and with the Seabees that doesn't happen very much.
The U.S Navy Reserves is a great Navy component that allows you to build two or more careers simultaneously.
Logistic Specialist (LS) (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLFebruary 10, 2016
As a reservist, I am committed o work one weekend per month and perform a monthly annual training to a cross assigned unit. The Navy offers a comfortable working environment that exposes you to many different ways of life. Work and its leadership is extremely organized, leaving little room for misleading or misunderstanding and in-turn expands job accountability. The hardest part about the job is usually standing watch, which is major part of the U.S D.O.D protocol. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with others in an environment that is built on character and moral.
Pros
security.
Cons
It is sometimes difficult to advance as a reservist.
Overall great experience
Systems Administrator/COMSEC Custodian (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 9, 2016
Being in the Navy, I can't say there was ever a typical day. I was always on my toes waiting to see what happened each day.
I learned a lot about information systems, hardware installation and trouble shooting. Became efficient in most Microsoft Office applications.
Management differed at each place, but overall was a good experience.
The hardest part about the job was being away from my family for extended periods of time.
The most enjoyable party about the job was traveling, learning new things about my job and being exposed to so many other things outside of what it was like growing up in San Antonio. (people, places, culture)
Pros
job benefits, travel, pay
Cons
deployments, separated from family
Honor, Courage, Commitment
Basic Training (Former Employee) –  Great Lakes, ILFebruary 9, 2016
The United States Navy is a huge diverse family. I was Medically Separated but I enjoyed the challenge of Bootcamp and having to become family with people from all over the world. No matter what you will learn something and take something from this experience. HOOYAH NAVY!
Great experience
Operations Specialist 2nd Class (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 9, 2016
Financial stability and guidance very helpful in life. The hardest part of the job would have to be the months away from my family. This job taught me how to be an adult and I've made a lot of friends along the way.
Propulsion Plant Operator - US Navy
Propulsion Plant Operator (Current Employee) –  Groton, CTFebruary 9, 2016
If you know what you want from it, and work to get it, it can be very beneficial to your development as a career orientated individual
I loved my job
Culinary Specialist (Former Employee) –  EverywhereFebruary 9, 2016
Every day was different. Either I was deployed or on land. Depending where I was, would determine what I was doing. Deployments I was either working on F-18 Hornets or cooking in the Galley. Long days onboard aircraft carriers. On land my days were more mellow. Maintaining the barracks for over 100 residents. Keeping in mind their safety and sanitation in common areas.
Pros
Being Active Duty
Cons
deployments 6-10 months long away from my daughter.

4.5