U.S. Navy
10,767 reviews

U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Amazing work experience
Machinist Mate Submarines (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Job security, Explore new things
Cons: Being gone away from family
I have learned a lot in the Navy. It has changed me for the better. I learned there are many ways to complete a task, and that you must learn to improvise sometimes to get the job done. There will not – more... always be a clear answer on how to get the job done. I must rely on my experience, and help from others that may have more knowledge. I have learned to wok in many different situations. Also do jobs that are not always what I consider my job title. I would be required to do many different tasks especially on a submarine. Everyone needs help and when I am able to provide help to others I do my best. While also getting my own tasking done for the day or week. – less
Exceeded expectations
Air Traffic Controller (Former Employee), Whidbey Island, WAJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Leadership, Opportunities galore
I'm extremely grateful for the valuable lessons I learned while in the Navy. I was provided with a great trade that I fell in love with. I met remarkable people, and the benefits are second to none. I loved my time in the Navy, wouldn't change any of it.
It's the Navy
Intelligence Specialist Petty Officer 1st Class (Current Employee), UNLOCJuly 1, 2015
Pros: training, opportunities, awards
Cons: seperation from family, administrative processes are lazy
Challenging workplace, only easy if you let it. Intelligence careers in the Navy are truly superior to any other branch in my opinion, and I've spent a vast amount of my career working in the joint realm.
great traveling experiences
yeoman administrative assistant (Former Employee), yokosuka, navy base; point mugu californiaJuly 1, 2015
Pros: free food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. travelling.
Cons: when on deployment working non stop. more then 12 hours a day. no days off.
my typical day at work was very good. alot of documents i had to complete, data entry, and financial compensation changes into the database of the military personnel that owned it. i got along with a couple of co-workers. the most difficult part of the job was being on the ship working 12 hour days. the most enjoyable part of the job was traveling to other countries.
Time consuming
Fire Controlman (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 1, 2015
The military is great for some people and not so great for others. I liked it but did not like being a dual military family. It is hard on the kids and the spouses. I taught me a lot in the way of how – more... to trouble shoot, how to respect authority more, people think a lot differently than I do. I would have to say the hardest part of it was when my husband had to leave, or when I had to leave my family. – less
Great experince
Non- Commissioned Officer (Former Employee), Key West, FLJuly 1, 2015
Fantastic opportunity for growth and education. Every day something a bit different. However never a greater honor in serving the country. Truly enjoyed the jobs that I had some more than others but it was a great time.
Retired
Senior Logistics Manager (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Education, Advancement and got to see the world for free.
Cons: Extended time away from family and love one
Enjoyed a outstanding 21+yr career in the U.S. Navy. Served aboard 6 ships in my career. 15+ yrs were at sea. I learned to become a Dynamic Leader. I've worked at all levels starting as a E-2 and retired – more... a E-8. Worked with all typed of ethics groups of people throughout my career. The hardest part of the job was being away from your family/love ones for extended periods of times. The most enjoyable was seeing the world, getting a Free education and Retiring with Honors. – less
Travel and adventure
Gas Turbine Mechanical Chief (SW) (Former Employee), Various localesJuly 1, 2015
Pros: People and education
Cons: Long deployments away from family
Excellent learning experience. The opportunity for advancement is limitless. The ability to make lifelong friends is immense and the accruing of knowledge of shipboard systems never ceases
all gave some, some gave all
Petty Officer 3rd class (Former Employee), USS VULCANJuly 1, 2015
Pros: serving my country
Cons: exhausting work
BT3 Boiler tech worked on 400 psi boilers and associated equipment, co- mates were great, hardest part of the job was the heat in the fire hole
Challenging and exciting place to work
Logistics Specialist (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Benefit, culture, experience, travel
Cons: travel, moral, politics
This organization can be an exciting place to work. I personally like the challenge of dealing with different people, because I use everyone encounter as a way to grow and develop my interpersonal skills. This is not your typical 9 to 5 jobs, however, there is always room to advance, at least in my experience.
US Navy
Avionics Electronics Tech II (Former Employee), Lemoore, CAJuly 1, 2015
Travel the World, Work on some of the most Advanced Tactical Equipment, Great educational opportunities, Gain work experience in very specific fields
United States Navy Safety and Training coordinator
Battalion Safety Chief (Current Employee), Huntsville, ALJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Strong camaraderie
Cons: A lot off off time work
Strong camaraderie with educated members who train daily to be prepared for any situation that may arise. Working as a team members grow as one organization.
Hardworking Military
Personnel Specialist (Former Employee), FloridaJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Job security
Cons: Family seperation
Long work days with lots of hours put into the jobs.
Learned lots from the work experience. Management was good but could have been better. Co-workers were pleasant to be around and live with while deployed. – more... Hardest part of the job was being away on deployment while separated from family. The most enjoyable is the "see the world" factor. Seeing new thing that most would never see in their life times. – less
Good learning experience, and a lot of training was accomplished.
Machinist Mate (Current Employee), Sasebo, Japan on USS Germantown LSD 42July 1, 2015
Pros: Traveling the world, learning new things, free schools, free training, life lessons
Cons: Being away from my family, Not always ranking up, immaturity.
All in all being in the Navy was an wonderful life experience. I was in charge of a lot and operated a lot of different equipment and maintained it as well. Maintenance person for all divisions in Auxiliary's. – more... Including Air conditioning units, Refrigeration units, hydraulic units, fork trucks, small boat diesel engines, fueling systems, galley(cafeteria) equipment ie. kettles, ovens, under-counter reefers. I was also the Repair parts perry officer for all three work centers in my shop. I was the person to find, order, and track all parts. I was also one of the most qualified people in my shop. I am the go to fireman. – less
Serving in the US Navy was best decision of my life
Engineering Training Specialist/Technician (Former Employee), Ingleside, TXJune 30, 2015
Pros: world travel and extensive training opportunities are always avail
Cons: family seperations
the military organization and the environment of being there for each other is second to none. serving our country is an honor
Great Comraderie
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJune 30, 2015
Pros: Diverse environment
It was my pleasure to work along a diverse group of individuals from all walks of life. The comraderie and selflessness of certain individuals to achieve a common goal and serve our nation under the same cloth was something pleasing to wake up to everymorning.
It was definitely a challenging career
Military Wife (Former Employee), Mayport Naval Station, FLJune 30, 2015
Pros: Benefits, being able to say that I ran the household singlehandly while my spouse was defending our country, helping the military in my own way.
Cons: The exasperation of any dysfunction in the military spouse.
If you have a healthy relationship, being a Navy wife can be very rewarding. If you are in an unhealthy relationship, your spouse being in the military only makes it more difficult.
Great Work benefits
Small arms/crew serve weapons instructor (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAJune 30, 2015
Pros: consistant pay check
Cons: politics
I was in for 6 six years, but its time to move on and do bigger and better things. Loved the job! A typical work day is from 6am to 4pm or maybe later. I learned everything about mulit million dollar weapon systems. MY co works were my management, and the most enjoyable part of my job was out on the gun range, teaching.
its the military
Electronics Technician (Former Employee), Bremerton, WAJune 30, 2015
it really all depends on what command your are at. the command will make or break you. school is great learning experience and you get to travel the world.
great place to start a career
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee), Beaufort SCJune 30, 2015
Pros: lots of travel
Cons: lots of travel
Whether you are a professional or just getting into the job scene, the U.S. Navy help to support and craft your dream career

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Navy

Imagine working with the most awe-inspiring equipment and technology the world has ever seen. Making your living as a rescue swimmer – Read more

U.S. Navy Salaries