U.S. Navy
8,383 reviews

U.S. Navy Employer Reviews

outstanding
Project Management (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAOctober 29, 2014
the best job I ever had. it was a learning experience that I adored very much.
Great job and a great boss
ENGINEERING TECHNICIAN (Former Employee), China Lake, CAOctober 29, 2014
my time with the navy was fun but short. I joined the team right when furlough and such were happening and I got cut. But besides that it was a great job.
Great duty stations and training
Facility Watch Supervisor (Former Employee), NAS Sigonella, Sicily, ItalyOctober 29, 2014
Pros: great on-the-job training, staying in shape because of pt(physical training), meeting lifelong friends
Cons: corrupt management, horrendous schedule, ridiculous rating system
Train, train, and then train some more. When you get qualified on a position, you then immediately start training someone else. I learned that sycophants get very high evaluations, no matter how poorly they work traffic, while those of us with a little dignity get rated average, or slightly better. I also learned what working seven days a week for almost – more... three years, and what that in turn does to your circadian rhythm. I also learned how to be an Air Traffic Controller, which was a big deal. Management was deplorable. Some of my co-workers became friends for life, while others, like the above mentioned sycophants, were barely tolerable to be around. The hardest part was working 7 days a week. The most enjoyable part of the job was the pride I felt serving in the Navy. I loved putting the uniform on and going to work, looking sharp. – less
interesting and diverse experiance
Hospital Corpsman (Current Employee), Bethesda, MDOctober 29, 2014
Pros: free health care, travel, school will be paid for, housing bennefits
Cons: difficult advancement as of 2014.
fast passed, challenging job away from home and family. you will meet the greatest friends of your life in the Navy. as a hospital corpsman you will work primary in a clinic or possibly a hospital for your first tour of duty. during your second you will likely go to sea duty. meaning with a marine unit as the primary medical responder for combat casualty – more... care or on a ship ensuring the health of the entire crew. you choose your path, the basic corpsman is a medical technician who can work in any part of a hospital or clinic. you have the option to specialize in many different areas of navy medicine including submarines, dive med techs, advance pulmonary tech, x ray tech, ortho tech, etc. important note. each job in the navy advances at its own rate. meaning hospital corpsman might make E-5 in 5 years where as a sonar tech will make E-5 in 2. you can Google navy advancement rates by ratting to find out the most current cycle (2 per year). – less
Excellent
Senior Technician (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLOctober 29, 2014
I enjoyed all 11 years I had the oportunity to serve. Loved the travel and the team work.
Preparing for daily training for on-going possibilities
Boat Captain, Leading Petty Officer (Former Employee), Portsmouth, VAOctober 29, 2014
Pros: traveling, training, advancement toward the end of my career.
Cons: long hours
Training was a everyday part of life by leaning many ways of Security on-board ship, small boat, or a flight line.

Best part was spending time out on the boats training those that didn't know how to drive a boat and feeling how the boat reacted at different situations in turns at high speeds or while using one of the Crew Served Weapons on-board.
United States Navy - The Greatest in the History of the World.
Officer Recruiter (Current Employee), Springfield, MOOctober 29, 2014
Pros: travel, experience, pay and benefits, education
Cons: there are no cons. only regret for those who don't challenge themselves.
The US Navy is by far the best work experience anyone could ever gain. In the Navy, you get the chance to meet people from all walks of life and work with the best and brightness to serve our great nation. There are few jobs that can compare to making a difference on a daily basis for the world, our nation, and yourself. The officers and enlisted ranks – more... are educated, devoted, committed, and fearless and strive to uphold the core values of Honor, Courage, and Commitment. The hardest part of the job is taking that first step and enlisting. Once you take that step, the world will open up to you and be full of travel, education, opportunity, and real world experience like no other. – less
Great work experience with people of different backgrounds.
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee), San Diego, CAOctober 29, 2014
Pros: medical/dental benefits, traveling the world, and meeting new people
Cons: long work daysand deployments.
This organization has taught me a great deal of discipline. I have also learned a lot about people and the different backgrounds they come from. It was a great experience traveling the world and experiencing different cultures, although the hours were long sometimes and sometimes challenging.
Challenging, constantly evolving work environment
Shift Operations Supervisor (Former Employee), Charleston, SCOctober 29, 2014
Pros: medical and retirement benifits.
Cons: work/ life balance can be very difficult.
A very challenging work environment with many options for career paths covering field from electronics, administration, aviation, power generation, etc..
Great Experience
Aviation Ordnanceman (Former Employee), TexasOctober 29, 2014
Great experience for me and my life. Would do it all over again.
A great work place with great people
Mineman Reservist (Current Employee), Green Bay, WIOctober 29, 2014
Pros: 3 free meals a day, college credits, and overal a great experience
Cons: needed more hands on
The time I spent active duty was all training for me to learn the trade of becoming a Mineman in the United States Navy and get me ready if there ever come a day where I either voluntarily go or am ordered to the Fleet.
Aviation Ordnance Supervisor
Aviation Ordinance Supervisor (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAOctober 29, 2014
Supervised over 130 Navy personnel in the buildup, storage, and movement of Navy ammunitions. Inspected, maintained and repaired aircraft mechanical and electrical armament/ordnance systems. Supervised operation of aviation ordnance shops, armories and stowage facilities. Managed accounting systems, rework of airborne weapons/systems/equipment, and – more... conventional weapons qualification/certification programs, afloat and ashore. Performed requisition of, received, inspected, stored and issued ammunition; made reports for excesses, shortage or damages; conducted inventories; reconciled and posted discrepancies; prepared and maintained Ammunition Transaction Reports or Transaction Item Reports as required; inspected compliance with directives and applicable to Notice of Ammunition Reclassification. Coordinated and expedited the flow of work and materials within or between departments of an establishment according to production schedule. Duties included reviewing and distributing production, work, and shipment schedules; conferred with department supervisors to determine progress of work and completion dates; and compiled reports on progress of work, inventory levels, costs, and production problems. Supervised the inventory and accountability of Navy Assets. – less
Great experience
Quality assurance and control manager. Liaison (Former Employee), GuamOctober 29, 2014
I had great leadership and it was a blast being on a joint team.
Navy life
Operations Specialist (Former Employee), Norfolk VAOctober 29, 2014
Pros: deployments
Cons: people that didnt care about the job
didn't know what was going to happen at work
learned to be a leader in any environment
the management has only looks out for themselves
most co-workers are good people
hardest part of the job was the long hours that turned to days without sleep
I enjoyed being an air controller
It's very challenging job and it's very fun for all the ports.
Leading Culinary Specialist (Current Employee), San Diego, CAOctober 29, 2014
Pros: protect the americe. see the other countires and travel free.
Cons: no cons.
Being in the military as Leading Culinary Specialist, i'm responsible for management, development, and safety of 152 junior Sailors and Marines. Managed three Messes in support of 2,400 crew members. Planned and managed the operations in providing 8,100 meals daily for Wardroom, Chief Petty Officer Mess, and enlisted Galley. Excellent management oversight – more... for over 600 line items of provisions to sustain food service and combat readiness for all Sailors and embarked Marines with a 100% inventory.

The most enjoyable part of my job is when we pull-in to the other countries for ship ports. – less
Challenging and rewarding
Lead Instructor and Leading Petty Officer (Current Employee), Groton, CTOctober 28, 2014
Pros: pay, benefits, leadership experience, technical training
Cons: deployments
Time served on the boat was tough. Long hours away from family are not for everyone. However, getting to go from the freshest E-3 on the boat to leading a division in five years was incredibly rewarding. Shore duty provided a much needed reprieve, felt more like a nine to five. The reward of getting to teach and lead new sailors on their way to submarines – more... doesn't get any better. Unfortunately, after three years it's back to a submarine. Overall, would not have traded my nine years for anything. – less
Life in the Navy
Supervising Navy Career Recruiter (Current Employee), Dallas,TxOctober 28, 2014
Pros: paid for college, hands on job training, free travel
Cons: being away from home 6+ months at a time
I have enjoyed every day of my last 19.75 yrs serving, I have seen the world, expanded my job marketability, went to school, my kids used my education benefits, the medical & dental are outstanding and the special duty pay is lovely and clothing allowances yearly. I would advise every kid to serve after high school, it is very beneficial to a persons – more... future. – less
Passage into the Real World
Petty Officer 3nd Class, USS McFaul (Former Employee), Norfolk, VirginiaOctober 28, 2014
Pros: rapid promitionns, unique expiriences
Cons: lesser time working with what i had been trained for
I learned self reliance and leadership. I literally was "on the same boat" as my coworkers. This and other similar situations taught me adaptability to adverse situations and personalities.
military experience
Navigation specialist (Former Employee), little creek, VAOctober 28, 2014
very demanding and detail oriented, good learning experience overall when going overseas on mission.
good working environment
Asset Protection & Security (Current Employee), Los Fresnos, TexsaOctober 28, 2014
Pros: travel
• Responsible for training transportation staff in Department of Transportation Rules and Regulations
• Responsible for the operational oversight of Training Department at the Port Isabel Detention Center.
• Manage 566 employees training files: 428 detention officers, 57 detention and transportation supervisors, 48 transportation officers, 22 food service – more... staff, 11 administrative support staff.
• Daily inspections and audits are conducted to ensure compliance of the performance based contract with ICE Performance Based National Detention Standards and the American Correctional Association Adult Local Detention Facilities Standards. Since 2010 the Port Isabel Detention Center has successfully passed three PBNDS formal inspections (2011, 2012 and 2013), two Office of Detention Oversight formal inspections (2010 and 2013), ACA Accreditation (2011) and NCCHC Accreditation (2013).
• Achieved meeting all ICE and ERO metrics by following the Quality Assurance Surveillance Plan utilizing the Performance Based National Detention Standards monitoring instruments for 42 standards.
• Communicate daily with the Project Manager, Assistant Project Manager, and Chief of Security to provide recommendations for policies and procedures updates based on developed best practices and operational requirements.
• Conduct liaisons with PIDC Training Department and PIDC Compliance Unit to ensure interactivity of the training program
• Develop training program for Detention, Transportation officers as well as for Lieutenants and Captains
• Oversight of 2 Training Officers – less

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Navy

The US Navy maintains a variety of military equipment like ballistic missile submarines, aircraft carriers, surface warships, – Read more