U.S. Navy

12.4K reviews

U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Found 11,823 reviews matching the search
Job was enjoyable, traveled and saw amazing places,tough environment
Communications Electronics Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 5, 2016
The US Navy was a fulfilling temporary job. During 6 years I was able to see more places than I could have ever imagined! However, it soon becomes tiring being in the middle of the ocean for extended periods of time. Also, depending on the job/rate that you chose upon enlisting, determined how well you would advance to better positions, and I no such luck with this ordeal. Lastly, and most frustrating, the management. Due to the ranking system, those who got to the position were generally those who had been in for longer regardless of skill level or management knowledge resulting in incompetent leadership as well as leadership that does not care about its junior personnel due to a rotation at one station only being a couple years before you could change places and never worry about the people you worked with before.
Love it or Leave it I love it!
Maintenance Master Chief Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  Mayport, FLFebruary 5, 2016
22 years in the US Navy and I loved everyday of it. I learned teamwork, leadership, mentorship and what being part of a team really means. I can not describe it in a paragraph, you have to live it to know it and I did it the best way I could fast forward.
Pros
Being part of a team
Cons
Being away al lot
Productive environment with lots of travel opportunity
Blue Team Analyst (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 5, 2016
If you like to travel on a big gray ship and do all kinds of work that may or may not be related to your training, then this just might be for you! Great benefits, retirement plan, and very diverse workplace.
Secure but no advancement
F&B (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 5, 2016
It is a great job but I am unable to advance in my field.
Salary and benefits typical of any other large company.
The Military can be very frustrating and is behind the times in tech
Patriotic and Fullfilling
Emergency Program Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 5, 2016
Going to work every day was a fulfilled, meaningful, and a team building experience every time! A typical work day is based around pride and professionalism, ensuring the safety and preparedness of a ship's crew for emergencies or disasters involved with military deployment. Being a part of a team filled with camaraderie every day I go to work is immeasurable. Even though the difficulty is always leaving our homeland for action and adventure over seas, it is worth the reminder of how great and free our country is. As a shipboard firefighting and flooding damage control professional, normal work included ensuring optimal operation of fire suppression systems; organizing, training, and evaluating emergency teams, and responding to crisis such as flooding, fire, and chemical, biological, and radiological events. Going to work is a new job every day!
Pros
Morale and Welfare, Teamwork, Patriotism, Job Security, Benefits
Cons
Leaving family often for extended periods of time, War/Battle
Great opportiunity to serve your country
Lieutenant, Supply Corps (Current Employee) –  Fort Dix, NJFebruary 4, 2016
Great opportunity to serve, but gets hit hard during budget crisis....making it harder and harder to stay in a secure job.
Great experience!
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee) –  Camp Pendleton, CAFebruary 4, 2016
The military is a job you must decide you want to do no matter what comes at you. It is the military. You may work long days, you may work short days, but you will work until the job is done. Management may not be the best at times, but you will make friendships that will last a lifetime. It can be a tough job, but remember you did make a commitment.
Service
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 4, 2016
Military service is not for every one but it was right for me at the time and now I am broadening my horizons and looking forward to continue the leadership and values that the Navy instilled in me and carry them on into the civilian sector.
Pros
Benefits, culture, people
Cons
Hours (sporadic)
Fast paced, intense team environment with a lot of opportunity.
Assistant Leading Petty Officer (Current Employee) –  Camp Pendleton, CAFebruary 4, 2016
A typical day of work was never the same, it was very demanding. The Navy taught me leadership, organization and to be hard working, Along with giving me a strong foundation of morals to live by. The hardest part was that you're always busy and it sometimes gets difficult to separate personal life and work. The most enjoyable part was all the life experience i obtained.
long hours and days
Machinist Mate, Third Class (E4) (Former Employee) –  Groton, CTFebruary 4, 2016
I worked long hours and had few days off, I learned how to work hard and serve my country along with learning new job skills.
Fun Work Place
Crash and Salvage (Firefighter) Line Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 3, 2016
Great travel, job is never the same and the friendship made are lasting. Only for those who want to make a difference and who love this Country.
Pros
Free Travel
Cons
Long periods of time away from home
Great experiences, good people, stressful at times.
MH-60S Aircrewman/Rescue Swimmer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 3, 2016
As a rescue swimmer, my time in the Navy gave me some of the most rewarding experiences that I will certainly miss, and while the job was very stressful and physically demanding at times, the experiences and people I worked with have had a lifelong impact.

It's not without its downsides however. Command politics, repetitive training, sleep deprivation, health hazards, and potential life-threatening situations all contribute to making this a very high-stress organization, and will not fit with those who are unable to accept those risks.
Pros
Good Training, Great Experiences, Visiting Foriegn Countries, Active-Duty and Verterans Benefits
Cons
Stressful, Repetitive, Dangerous, Physically Demanding
Great Career
Command Drug and Alcohol Program Advisor (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 2, 2016
The Navy is an excellent organization providing outstanding opportunity to members looking to succeed in life. It is the perfect place to develop life skills and technical experience, all while seeing the world.
Pros
Growth opportunities
Cons
Family seperation
Excellent Experience
Field Medical Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Camp Lejeune, NCFebruary 2, 2016
United States Navy has groomed me into the man I am today. It has been a great experience. Patient Care in the Trauma Setting is my bread and butter. But I am willing to move on to other areas of medicine.
Navy was not the greatest place to work
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAFebruary 2, 2016
The Navy offered a challenging position; however, the management would move people around and let them retain their seniority without having a real job.
benefits
Cons
promotions
Great place to work!
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Port Hueneme, CAFebruary 2, 2016
Good place to learn leadership skills, get a college degree, and learn technical skills. If you work hard advancement is available fairly quickly. Many benefits!
Fun
Support Equipment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Naval Air Station Jacksonville, FLFebruary 2, 2016
Great place to work within the career field. Temporary work as it was summer camp. Overall great people to work with. Implementing camp activities was a blast. Children and parents were amazing.
Great life and learning experience.
Facilities / Program Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CaFebruary 1, 2016
Excellent place to work. Got to see the world and was given an opportunity to supervise a work center and operate a nuclear power plant in my 20's. Great life experience with great people. Has opened several doors for me since leaving.
Pros
People, advancement opportunities, training
Cons
Deployments, Travel
Sonar Technician (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 1, 2016
Always room for growth and improvement. Also a great way to gain experience in a technical field. Great way to learn discipline and team building.
Best time of my life
Aviation Machinist Mate (Former Employee) –  Lemoore, CAFebruary 1, 2016
I traveled the world, i got to keep my family and many families here at home safe, served with pride and to this day still show it. Work was hectic, long hours, always busy, never stopped learning, no time for anything other than business. I learned to admire many different cultures in and out of those in the U.S., along with many skills that to this day I still put to use. Management, for the most part was good. I did have some bad managers but the amount of good managers and what they did for you heavily outweighed those bad supervisors. My co-workers were more than just that, many became family, I still keep in contact with many of them. The hardest part of my job was being away from my family and knowing any little error could change my life or those around me. Most enjoyable part was traveling the world and getting to experience many different cultures i had no clue about.
Pros
travel, benefits, friends
Cons
away time from family, low pay

4.5