U.S. Navy Employee Reviews in United States

20 years of service
Got to travel the world
Hard to deal with Politics
Retirement starts immediately
Never a shortage of work
Pros
job security, retirement benefits
Cons
healthcare is not the greatest. Pay
fun place to work, people were fun to know great work environment
Jet Engine Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Naval Air Station Lemoore, CAApril 28, 2016
Everyday we would walk the flight line as a squadron to ensure no debris could damage the jets, we ensured ground safety, performed jet maintenance on aircraft and we were quick and thorough at getting aircraft back to their flying and maneuvering capabilities. I learned proper hand signals to communicate with the pilot and ground personnel, how to conduct jet repairs, corrosion treatment and prevention. The organization is well run, or shop supervisor gave us our orders and the maintenance office would give them theirs. My supervisor was effective at delegating tasks to each individual so that all necessary repairs were completed on time. The most difficult part of this job would have to be installing a new engine into the jet. It takes patience, care, strength and precision. The people I worked with were always friendly and funny and we all enjoyed ourselves.One thing I always loved was getting to sit on top of the jet with my fellow coworkers, turning the jet up on power and hearing that beast roar as you checked to make sure the problem was fixed.
Pros
workplace, income, health benefits, coworkers
Cons
long terms at sea, limits to freedom
Hard work but fun
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WAApril 27, 2016
Durring my time in the Navy I learned my strengths and weakness. A typical day was ether 4 plus hours of standing watch or breaking mp rust, painting and priming spaces to keep them up to exemplary standards. After the work was all done it was time to hit the gym or have fun with friends, we all became pretty tight knit. It was like a family away from family and more often than not, they showed me more about myself than I would have ever found out on my own. This little family that we formulated was definitely the best part of the job as well as the food we got to eat in other countries. I suppose the hardest part was having to see some people go but that's life.
Pros
Free dental/medical
Cons
Troublemakers
Machinists mate
Submarine Auxiliary Machinist Mate 3rd Class (Former Employee) –  Pearl Harbor, HIApril 27, 2016
Inport i would access what was broken or need some maintenance and proceed to take care of such jobs accordingly. i would also stand watch on duty days which sometimes required being armed up with a shotgun or 9mm pistol. As a crew we would prepared the ship to get underway and i would stand watch underway sometimes working 16 plus work hour days.
Well organize with hard working and enjoyable atmosphere.
Customer Service, Terminal Personnel (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 27, 2016
work from 0600 A.M-1000 P.M with 1 to 1 1/2 hrs break times. Develop a multi-task state of mind. When working with co-workers i've find that many of my colleagues have different work ethics, but we always come together to solve any problems with in the work place. The hardest times where when you had to work 16 or more hrs with less than 5 hrs of sleep. Sometimes when there is negativity in the work place there is always 2 or more co-workers who create positivity with sense of humor.
very challenging but great for education and a good chance to serve your country
auxiliaryman (Former Employee) –  Groton, CTApril 27, 2016
The united states navy is one of the best decisions I have ever made. The job is challenging and you spend a lot of time away from home but the navy is a good opportunity for a education and an excellent opportunity to serve your country.
Pros
Awsome bennifits
Cons
Always on the go, stressful, and long hours
Great career field, bad job choice
Corpsman (Medic) (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAApril 27, 2016
I picked a job in the military that has a very limited advancement potential. Wish I could change my job without going through new school and hassles
maybe job
Culinary Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC 20350April 27, 2016
Hour sucks, with the pay sucked. paying away too much for healthcare to worth the work and drive you do. management depends on what department you were in. some were horrible, rude people and others helped and courage others. work was not that back, it was relaxing and calm job I ever had.
Fast Paced Environment
Instructor/Work Center Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 27, 2016
From being stationed at sea for 5 years to the instructor position that I currently hold, it has been a fast paced environment with minimal down time.
Productivity
Diesel Engineman/ Quality Assurance Inspector (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 27, 2016
Productive, How to work with others to build teamwork. It's what you make it to be. The management is cordial, co-workers the same. The hardest part is being away from family for months at a time. The best part is the places you go and cultures you get to explore.

Want to know more about U.S. Navy?

Ask a question
It is a good way to get your life started but every sailors career is different
Hospital Corpsman- 8404 (Current Employee) –  Camp Pendleton, CAApril 26, 2016
A typical day at work would depend on where your stationed but my day usually takes place in a clinic performing sick call and giving patients their annual requirements for military medicine. You will learn many valuable things.
Pros
Great learning experience to get started in medical
Cons
signing your life away for a number of years
Us navy
Gunners Mate (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 26, 2016
learned how to overcome stressful situations
hardest part of job was 24hr duty days
enjoyed my job working in armory
enjoyed traveling and visited ports
Pros
great benefits from job and for veterans
Cons
hard to manage time schedule
Overall positive experience
Fire Controlman (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 26, 2016
The Navy is a place where anyone can accelerate and advance with hard work and a no-quit attitude. I did well in that the atmosphere suited me. Typical days on shore started at 0700 and finished at 1600 (4pm). On shore, we were expected to attend to day to day troubleshooting and repair of degraded or downed systems and components. I found the troubleshooting to be rewarding in that I enjoy taking something 'broken' and making it work again. Management was effective, in that they trusted us to get the job done and they let us do that. My co workers were excellent; I wish we could all move onto the same job next! The toughest part of the job was the time spent at sea. There's a saying the Navy, 'sailors belong on ships and ships belong at sea.' I found my time spent away from family and friends outside the Navy to be the biggest reason why I decided to not stay and pursue the military as a career. The fun part of the job was seeing the world. I've been to maybe 8 different countries on almost 20 different stops, and it really helps one to see just how amazing America really is and why it's my home.
Pros
Travel, atmosphere of 'work hard, play hard'
Cons
Time away from home
serve my country
US Navy (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 26, 2016
security/plane handler security patrolman qualified blackwater advanced training school enforced rules and regulations to ensure safety of over 5,500 sailors onboard the aircraft carrier. Plane handler chalked and chained aircraft securely to flight deck lauched and recovered over 5,000 aircrafts.
Pros
serve my country
Cons
no land out to sea long periods
United States Navy
Department Head/Navigator/Legal Officer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 26, 2016
It was an honor to serve in the World's greatest Navy. The pay is respectable and the benefits are great. Work life balance is poor especially during 'sea duty' tours.
Honor to Serve my Country
Torpedoman's Mate (Former Employee) –  New London, CTApril 26, 2016
It was an honor to serve our Country beside fellow service members. I learned so much more than I anticipated when I enlisted. The US Navy allowed me to tailor my management style. There were challenges of course, including standing long watches. My most enjoyable part of the job was qualifying to be a Master Helmsman.
Pros
Working with a fine group of service members
Cons
Long watches
Aviation Boatswains Mate - Aircraft Handler (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 26, 2016
The life as an ABH isn't one most people should aspire to hold. The out to sea hours really blow and the work is difficult. At the end you are rewarded with close friendships and good mentors. The boat life will give you a better understanding of what you should want for yourself after you serve.
Enjoyed serving my country
Aviation Support Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  WashingtonApril 25, 2016
There was always a lot of work which gave me the opportunity to challenge my self everyday. As I went up through the ranks I also was able to share my experience with subordinates. The Navy defiantly provided me with great opportunities that I never thought that I could ever have as a civilian. It was a wonderful experience I'll never forget and I built life long relationships with people that have positively influenced my growth as a person both professionally and on a personal level. I learned a lot of new skills like how to train and supervise subordinates, and also to improve my own organizational skills, mange work loads, etc. Most of my co-workers were professional dedicated hard working and responsible, and no matter where I went In the Navy they were like my second family which was encouraged by the Navy and especially with in our community. The Hardest part of the job was how much time I spent away from loved ones. The best part of the job was the people and the relationships I built learning new things everyday and the all the new places in the world that I never thought I'd live to visit. The Military isn't for everyone but for those who choose to serve and accept the challenges and serve with honor, commitment dedication and pride and treat it like a life experience not just another job, can truly make a difference for our country and its influence on the world as well as inspire others to serve.
Pros
Benifits, higher education encourage, equal treatment, job security
Navy
Petty Officer Third Class (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 25, 2016
My day as a Sailor started with mandatory physical training, and would be about a 15-16 hour day. I learned many different skills as wells as earned different titles. I had the ability to learn new job duties quickly and perform them exceptionally. I enjoyed meeting new people and working with all types of people, my co-workers were the best part of the job and the hardest was leaving my kids for very long days.
Pros
Honorable
Cons
No breaks
excellent working environment with good co workers
Senior Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  MarylandApril 25, 2016
typical day at work is to have scrum meetings work with BA's & developers. Execute test cases find defects log defects track defects regression functional integration testing
Pros
flexible
Cons
heating system

4.5