U.S. Navy
10,213 reviews

U.S. Navy United States Employee Reviews

14 year military veteran
Career Counselor (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAMay 4, 2015
Provided career assistance in the professional development of 168 Sailors and collaborated with the analysis, development and implementation of career information programs.
Supervised ten technicians in the maintenance and repairs of 110 Mobile Electrical Power Plants and associated electrical and electronic components valued at 1.6 million dollars.
Develop, edited and updated training and licensing courses and related material
Proud to have served!
Nuclear Submarine Division Manager (Former Employee), Goose Creek, SCMay 4, 2015
Pros: Excellent opportunities for personal growth, great training.
Cons: Deployments, duty days, lots of ocean, low oxygen levels (submarines), more ocean, more duty days.
It's the military...work-life balance is more of a privilege and it is one that we all knew we were sacrificing when we were sworn in. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't miss being in the military (generally speaking) but I don't really miss it either...if that makes any sense. The days were long and hard and the work was pretty thankless, however, I was proud to have served and it shaped me and my life. The stress is significant and the amount of responsibility thrust on us at such young ages is taxing, to say the least. The US Navy is, however, the best thing that happened to me at that point in my life. It gave me the training, discipline, and drive to be the successful corporate leader that I am today and I wouldn't have the family that I have today without it.
Great benefits, Subpar management
Airfield Specialist (Current Employee), Virginia Beach, VAMay 4, 2015
A typical work day, you report in the morning at 0730.
Perform daily airfield inspections and maintenance.
Lunch Break.
Clean Facility.
Depart from work.

I've learned that hard work really is noticed, and gain a plethora of knowledge in tools.

Management is relatively about self.

The hardest part is dealing with the inconsistency in leadership.

The most enjoyable part is being involved with fighter pilots.
Honorable and Courageous job with amazing benefits
2ND Class Petty Officer (Current Employee), Pearl Harbor, HawaiiMay 4, 2015
There is no such thing as a typical day in the Navy. Everything was often changing. I learned how to adapt responsibly and quickly to those changes. I also learned how to work with people with all different types of personalities. I learned I have outstanding leadership skills and others willingly follow and were eager to learn from me. My co-workers made life in the navy manageable. It was fun to work with them. The hardest part of being in the navy was being so far away from family, The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to travel to different countries and enjoying their culture.
Flight Deck Duties
Military Postal Clerk (Former Employee), California and FloridaMay 4, 2015
Pros: Learn a lot there
Cons: I have to leave for my family
Postal clerk duties. Supply Flight Deck Team Member, handle mail,luggage, food and supplies around the flight deck into the planes and helicopters. The hardest part was working long standing hours in high temperatures levels in Iraqui Freedom Operations.
Great
Training Program Manager Norfolk Naval Base (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAMay 4, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: Saftey
US Naval Training Program Manager. Operations Specialist in four different ships within the US Navy. Coordinated training programs and within each command.
Productive very organised
Aircraft Mechanic (Former Employee), Norfolk VAMay 4, 2015
Pros: Free lunch. unbiased. well coordinated. strong bonding relationships between officers and recruits
I loved working in the navy the CO of the command was really nice and helped out with everything. Loved working on the aircraft and working with new cultures. Everyday was something new. I loved how the command thoroughly explained the job on what to do and how to do it.
Good Work environment that isn't made for everyone.
Aviation Boatswain's Mate Equipment (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAMay 4, 2015
Your typical day at work varies on weather you are out to sea or not.
You learn a great deal about time management and technical skills. The most enjoyable part of the day is being able to go home.
Being in the US Navy was great if you wanted to travel all over the world.
E-6 Damage Control man and Hull Technician (Former Employee), Various locationsMay 4, 2015
Typical day in the Navy was very busy. You worked from sun up to sun down seven days a week while underway. I learned a lot about responsibility in the Navy and why it is necessary. I was in charge of all damage control systems and safety equipment on board the ship. I also supervised several people in the performance of these duties. I met many people in the Navy that I am still good friends with even now 30 years later.
Best time of my life, getting to use management skills to accomplish meaningful work
EXECUTIVE OFFICER (Former Employee), Crane, IndianaMay 4, 2015
Pros: exposure to the nature of the world, working on projects that matter, gaining promotion as your knowledge grows
Cons: too much political correctness applied, military seen as a social playground by politicians.
I spent 24 years of my life working on increasing levels of responsibility. the projects were highly technical in nature. I was lucky in having great coworkers and good supervisors. I would do it all of again tomorrow.
Day to day work
PHARMACY TECHNICIAN (Former Employee), Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, USS Theodore Roosevelt CVN71May 4, 2015
On a average day without side tasks (which there were many) consisted of managing patients for sick call and through out the day, taking care of Pharmacy operations such as order management, stock rotations etc along with dispensing and patient counseling.
Normally though hectic while getting pulled for every task that another higher up which leads to prioritizing and time management which is key to surviving the Navy.
All in all great career it's the people you work with that make it what it is.
traveling and the training
Aircraft Machinist (Former Employee), San francisco, CaliforniaMay 4, 2015
working with other in a pressured type environment while maintaining high quality performance in a safe work place. Also learning the meaning of the chain of command really means.
Honor,Courage
Builder (Former Employee), Detroit, MIMay 4, 2015
Enjoyed serving the country. Builder in regards to help support other military branches. We joined together to help the citizens of that country.
Easy Pay check
Career Counselor (Current Employee), Rota, ANMay 4, 2015
Go to work, stay out of trouble and you will succeed. This is a simple job that requires little thinking. Do not try to get creative.
Outstanding
Various Positions Held (Former Employee), Washington D.C.May 4, 2015
IF not for this President (Obama) I would recommend that all do a few years of service for our country. Loved it, love the travel.
The Best place by far to start a career.
QA Inspector/Aviation Structural Mechanic (Current Employee), USNMay 4, 2015
Pros: Great benifits, comraderie
Cons: Long working hours, you see the world.
In my 20 years in the United states Navy, I have had the opportunity to work in many different fields within my own specialty. I cannot think of another place where I would have had the opportunity to work with such a diverse work force. The Military is what you make of it.
Great
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee), Sigonella, ItalyMay 4, 2015
It was a great place to work at. I got to interact with new people on the island and show them the ropes. the only negative was my hours
Great learning experinece
Computer Clerk Level I (Former Employee), Stennis Space Center, MSMay 4, 2015
Pros: quite work enviroment
Cons: far from anything
Went to NRL on an internship. Great people and interesting location to work at. Learned alot and enjoyed my time working with great scientists.
Best Job ever
Petty Officer First Class/Leading Petty Officer (Current Employee), Millington, TNMay 4, 2015
Pros: Pay, benefits
Cons: Long deployments
The US Navy was the best experience I could ever ask for. Been a part of the military for over 16 years and don’t regret it one bit.
US NAVY
Digital Network & Target Development Analyst (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXMay 3, 2015
Pros: Training and experience
Cons: Work/Life Balance can be difficult
Time served in the Navy equipped me with all the tools I needed to pursue a career within the Federal Government, and beyond.

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Navy

Imagine working with the most awe-inspiring equipment and technology the world has ever seen. Making your living as a rescue swimmer – Read more

U.S. Navy Salaries