U.S. Navy Employee Reviews in United States

Found 13,939 reviews matching the search
Productive Supervisor, manages well oiled team
Quartermaster (Former Employee) –  Yokosuka, Japan and Mayport, FLMarch 28, 2016
A typical day in the military consists of starting work at 7am and ending around 5pm. Consisted of managing junior sailors, completing daily tasks which consist of preservation, maintenance, and supervising in completing navigational tasks. The hardest part was making sure all work was done on time to let everyone off. I got passed this challenge by telling everyone how work was supposed to get done then trusting they would complete it, checking up on the progress on my free time. With trust I was able to complete all tasks and all personnel had the trust in my that we would not have any last second jobs that pop up. The most enjoyable part was traveling to different countries, getting to know there culture, as well as meeting new people and developing new friendships.
Pros
Job security, benefits, free Schooling, fast paced
Cons
Long time away from family sometimes months
Best time of my life
Aviation Machinist Mate (Former Employee) –  Lemoore, CAFebruary 1, 2016
I traveled the world, i got to keep my family and many families here at home safe, served with pride and to this day still show it. Work was hectic, long hours, always busy, never stopped learning, no time for anything other than business. I learned to admire many different cultures in and out of those in the U.S., along with many skills that to this day I still put to use. Management, for the most part was good. I did have some bad managers but the amount of good managers and what they did for you heavily outweighed those bad supervisors. My co-workers were more than just that, many became family, I still keep in contact with many of them. The hardest part of my job was being away from my family and knowing any little error could change my life or those around me. Most enjoyable part was traveling the world and getting to experience many different cultures i had no clue about.
Pros
travel, benefits, friends
Cons
away time from family, low pay
It was an honor to serve.
Aviation Boatswain's Mate Equipment (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 1, 2016
The navy was a great stepping stone for me. I left my home as a boy but definitely became a man in the navy. A lot of life lessons were learnt & management in the navy has been taught through blood. The hardest part of the job was definitely the prolonged separation from one's family. Depending on where you get stationed and who the people you're around will define your opinion on "co-worker." As for me, I definitely had the outmost respect for the men and women that I worked with whilst being forward deployed. They are definitely some of the greatest Americans I know. Working with a group of people of which I could trust my life with was a humbling experience, of which I'll forever take with me. But by far the most enjoyable part of the job was the traveling. No matter who you were, in a foreign port, you were an Ambassador of America and everything you did reflected our people. I think we all did our best.
Pros
Job Security, Equality, Promotions, & Traveling
Cons
Long hours, Long periods away from family.
Great benefits Time Off, and Commradery
HUMAN RESOURCES SPECIALIST/ QA SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Smyrna, GAFebruary 24, 2016
I start my day by getting a cup of coffee and then I send the Daily Production Review to my Supervisor. I check for discrepancies on the applicants paper work (Security Clearance, Medical, and any Fraudulent documents). I would approve the applicant to join the Navy Reserve or forward the paper work to higher authority. The most enjoyable part of my job was putting people in the Navy Reserve because it helped them become apart of the best Navy in the world. The hardest part of my job was long hours sometimes.
My supervisor, co-workers and I would go to lunch together and sometimes hangout at a sports bar, we had good times at work or at play.
Pros
Commradery, Benefits, Job Security, and Advancement
Overall great experience
Systems Administrator/COMSEC Custodian (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 9, 2016
Being in the Navy, I can't say there was ever a typical day. I was always on my toes waiting to see what happened each day.
I learned a lot about information systems, hardware installation and trouble shooting. Became efficient in most Microsoft Office applications.
Management differed at each place, but overall was a good experience.
The hardest part about the job was being away from my family for extended periods of time.
The most enjoyable party about the job was traveling, learning new things about my job and being exposed to so many other things outside of what it was like growing up in San Antonio. (people, places, culture)
Pros
job benefits, travel, pay
Cons
deployments, separated from family
Joining the Navy is a lifestyle.
Aviation Boatswains Mate-Fuels (RPPO) (Current Employee) –  Bremerton, WAApril 4, 2016
The Navy has given me the opportunity to learn how to work with a multitude of diverse people, time management, and extracurricular responsibilities. This is not the average 9 to 5 job, it is a lifestyle drenched with traditions and long hours, but it is life changing and will either bring out the worst or the best within an individual.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Can travel up to 9 months, continuously.
Great career starter to get you started on a particular trade with very flexible in port hours.
Supply Database Administrator (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 22, 2016
A typical day started at 630 in the morning and usually ended around 230 depending on your job and workload. I learned a lot about teamwork and time management. I enjoyed my co workers and they times spent together while deployed at sea. The hardest part about the job could be the long hours and days at sea away from the family.
Pros
Great benefits and advancement opportunities.
Cons
Long Hours.
Great opportunity for building a foundation for the future
Cryptologic Technician Interpretive, Second Class (Current Employee) –  Wahiawā, HIMarch 25, 2016
Serving in the U.S. Navy has been a pleasure, and an experience I wouldn't trade for anything. Getting the opportunity to learn another language and culture in a fast-paced environment isn't something that many people get to do. Working in a role that allows you to develop yourself personally and professionally is also very rare in any workforce. The big plus is the ability to further yourself even more after you separate from the military with the GI Bill and VA benefits, and that's something that I'm truly thankful for!
Pros
GI Bill, VA benefits, Tuition Assistance
Cons
Duty Section, Urinalysis, Standing Watches (on top of regular work)
Good place to apply one's skills and knowledge
Military Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMarch 17, 2016
Must develop a routine with discipline to maintain production - each employee has the ability to work his or her own routing. I learned a great deal about how Patent Law is prosecuted and how it is constantly evolving yet maintaining what Thomas Jefferson started in 1790. Management is focused on production, personalization is limited. Good colleagues to work with, very collegiate and professional. The hardest part is getting up to speed in the beginning, but the routine is manageable for those who stick with it. The most enjoyable aspect is the development of my mental faculties, which are transferable to all aspects of my career and life.
Pros
Good work environment - allows one to adapt personal skills to the job
Cons
little time for socialization
Productive.
YEOMAN (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 4, 2016
Military is very misunderstood as of today society, everyone still tries to compare it to the old ways, and nothing is similar. Everything has changed sense then, and the military is starting to lose the passion that people had when they were in. The overall morale of the military isn't as high as it use to be, and a lot of people are looking to get away from it as a career.
Pros
Benefits, schooling paid for, health coverage.
Cons
Bad food, Bad management, mistreated lower members.
Extremely rewarding, great experiences and good people
Facilities Manager (Current Employee) –  Pearl Harbor, HIJanuary 26, 2016
Depending on job assignment, some jobs are easier than others. Those considering seeking to join should do their homework to ensure adequate opportunities for advancement and duty locations available while serving. Trades and skills are invaluable while on active duty, but ensure a trade is selected that will allow for future career opportunities once tour of duty is completed.
Pros
Health Care, VA benefits, GI Bill, Housing, COLA, steady income
Cons
Poor management in some locations, undermanned duty assignments.
Honorable service to my country
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 4, 2016
Very long and stressful environment, to include long hours and shifts. Worked Monday thru Saturday on a 8 hour shift. Also watch standing Monday thru Sunday on a 4 hours on 8 hours off rotation.
Your shipments are your brothers, your family, your co workers, everything you have to rely on during your service time. Very strong brotherhood and teamwork relationships. Responsibility and courage are very strong values. Learned to cope with all types of religious believes, ethnicities, mentalities, etc. hardest part of the job is being at work away from your family and having such a stressful position and working during the most stressful situations you can imagine on a war zone.
Joining the military has been the most difficult and strong decision I've ever made. It was an honor to serve with my brothers at war and travel around the world. Definitely the best decision I've ever made but now ready to move on to bigger and better things.
Pros
Awesome benefits
Cons
Long stressful hours and being away from youir family
High Stress, Long Hours, Great Benefits
Submarine Nuclear Power Supervisor (Current Employee) –  VariousFebruary 28, 2016
Days are dependent on the duty type you sign up for. My average day while onboard a submarine can range up to a 18 hour work day.

I have learned a lot of leadership skills from both good and bad leaders and my technical abilities are far beyond those of my civilian counterparts. We are almost to diversified to compete with a civilian job upon transition due to the number of skills the Navy has available.

The best part of the job is the people that you get to work with. Co-workers become family and life-long friends during deployments.

Hardest par of the job is work schedule to family life.

The best part of my job is the "job satisfaction" at the end of the day.
Pros
Benefits, Retirement Options
Cons
Work Hours, Poor Management
20 Years of Naval Service
3M Maintenance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New London, CTFebruary 24, 2016
In 20 years of Naval Service I have seen a lot. I have enjoyed my career and have grown into a great leader. I have learned a lot of diversity dealing with many different life cultures. My typical day at work now is mostly office based but I still find time to get down in the shop and lend a hand where needed. I have been in charge of more than 20 personnel to get the daily operations done with minimal down time. The hardest part of my job would be blending senior personnel that are stuck back in the old days and get them to work hand-n-hand work the new younger generation to produce the best work environment. When that work environment comes together and the job ends in a success to see the mission able to go on.
Pros
Guranteed employment
Cons
Heavy workload, Not alot of personnel to get to it all on time.
Honored to serve.
Leading Chief Petty Officer (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHMarch 25, 2016
• Direct and Lead a team of 130 personnel, responsible for the mentorship and training of members from entry level to executive management level.
• Regional Operations Command, Navy Region Southeast: Facilitate Emergency Management needs during various levels of emergencies from natural disasters to security breaches.
• Managed Career Development and Training requirements of a command of 520 personnel. Resolved numerous project issues including staffing shortages, logistical matters and scheduling conflicts and adjusted project phases to meet deadlines, standards, and requirements. Efforts resulting in 100% compliance of annual assessments.
• Strategically implemented performance evaluation tracking system for senior leadership resulting in a more streamlined and efficient submission process.
• Coordinated and implemented Recruitment Program. Efforts resulted in a 98% retention rate and 100% staffing certification compliance by filling critical positions.
Pros
Great Leadership Opportunites
Daily Responsibilities
Administrative Assistant/Lead (Current Employee) –  Oak Harbor, WADecember 31, 2015
I enjoyed leading Sailors and Marines on a daily basis, teaching life skills such as job hunting, resume writing as well as tips for evaluations and awards. Management of major command programs has challenging at times yet very rewarding. I enjoy helping others excel at their life and job goals. Leading civilians in an office environment is rewarding as well. I enjoy teaching and facilitating and making sure all the details are completed appropriately.
Pros
Advancement, Job Security, and Benefits
Cons
Pay is not necessarily commesurate with civilian sector
Fast pace and ample amounts of job skill training
Ordnance Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego Naval Station, CAFebruary 17, 2016
The United States Navy is the best branch of the military to get the job skills and training you need. In an enlistment, you are required to provide several services aid in different departments throughout the command on top of the occupation you have already signed up for. When providing this aid, the navy gives you training to do these jobs and then you can collect the experience once you work in that field. Also you are allowed education opportunities, paid for by the navy. Free college? Sounds good to me! In the service you get what you put into it and there may be people you enjoy and others you can care less for but it is what you make it. I enjoyed my enlistment and the base it provided for me, but now I ready for life outside of the military.
Pros
Job security and benefits
Cons
Unstable hours and long periods of deployment
US Navy
Air Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAApril 5, 2016
The US Navy can be challenging at times. Long hours, low starting pay, irrational bosses, but that is not to say it doesn't have its up sides. Being in the US Navy has allowed not just myself but many others the ability to travel the world. Full medical and dental benefits are available for everyone as well as a housing allowance once you make a certain pay grade. It can be tough at times but the Navy is really what you make it. Keep a positive outlook and you will enjoy your time.
Pros
Free health care, dental care. Good pay once you stay in long enough.
Cons
Lots of busy work
Lacking in communication but great benefits
Nuclear Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  Pearl Harbor, HIApril 4, 2016
The navy provides great opportunities as well as pay and benefits. Unfortunately there are several overarching problems that could be fixed. The biggest problem here is the lack of communication. I have learned a great deal about management and how not to manage. As long as you aren't easily offended then the coworkers are typically great to work with (though keep in mind that there is always at least one bad apple in every bunch).
Pros
Great benefits and decent pay
Cons
You are just a number to your "employers."
Spent 85% of the time away from my family
Electrician's Mate (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WAFebruary 29, 2016
Start work at 7am. Work until 7 pm, and sometimes even later. Easily 15 hr days, sometimes. Food was terrible, unless you got some from the officer's quarters. Attitudes are the worst.
Pros
Job security
Cons
management, salary, military politics

4.4