U.S. Navy
11,075 reviews

U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Job can be fun if you look past the jerks you encounter
Hospital Corpsman (Current Employee), El Paso, TXJuly 31, 2015
Pros: Excellent training, great people, sometimes fun
Cons: Repetitive, leadership issues
Overall, working as a Navy Reservist is not a bad gig. You work one weekend out of the month, get paid well for the hours you work and go home to your family at the end of the day.
Fun Work Environment
Building Manager (Current Employee), Mayport Naval Station, FLJuly 31, 2015
Very rewarding and allowed me the hands on experiences I face in real life situations. I also had the opportunity too work with some very dedicated, and motivated people.
Great training, experience, advancement and challenge
Logistics Officer (Current Employee), VariousJuly 31, 2015
Pros: Challenges, training, advancement.
Cons: Deployments, danger, time from family
The US Navy has been a fantastic place to develop a wide and deep logistics skill set with multiple opportunities to exercise those skills around the world in the most challenging environments imaginable.
Perfect for self driven people who desire to make a change in the world.
Preventive Maintenance Technician/Corpsman (Former Employee), Florida/ Japan/ California/ MississippiJuly 31, 2015
Pros: Great benefits, job security, diverse work force
Cons: Occasional requirements to travel, can take some time to appreciate the work culture
A fun and challenging experience that leads to personal growth and a lifetime of confidence. Expect the occasional bit of bureaucracy to slow things down, but as long as you continue to push for something you want to achieve, you have a good possibility of obtaining your goals within the organization.
Loooove
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee), Beaufort, SCJuly 31, 2015
Best place to work. Hospital Corpsman was so much fun. you will for sure learn a lot and have lots of responsibilities. See one, do one, teach one.
Navy life is an amazing life
Aviation Strucural Mechanic, Airframes Technician (Current Employee), Oak Harbor, WAJuly 31, 2015
Structure, routine, diversity. The Navy is a huge melting pot, full of friends and foes alike. No matter the difference in personality, your shipmate will always have your back. Aviation is exciting and every day is different, go out get your hands dirty, fix a jet, and watch her fly beautifully, knowing that you helped make that happen. Insurance for your family, roof over your head, money in your pocket, and plenty opportunity to travel the world. The job is great, and I enjoy it.
Strong teamwork
Construction Mechanic, Second Class Petty Officer (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 30, 2015
Pros: Excellent Benefits
Cons: Deployments
As the Work Center Supervisor I schedule and assign the maintenance of 75 pieces of equipment to 21 junior personnel. I update a daily, weekly, and monthly availability report that I brief to my Commanding Officer.
Its the Navy
Submarine Sailor (Former Employee), GuamJuly 30, 2015
Pros: Once in a lifetime experiences, make lifelong friends
Cons: Power Tripping Leaders!!!
... it's the freaking Navy.
Your experience is different depending obviously on where you are, what your job is, who you're around, and who your leaders are.
Go Navy!
Mess Management Specialist (Former Employee), world wideJuly 30, 2015
The smartest thing I have ever done is to join the Navy! I got to travel all over the world. I lived in Hawaii for 10 years. I never had to worry about money or a place to live and eat. Life was grand. Now I'm retired and enjoy all of my free Navy benefits.
Great Experience
Petty Officer (Former Employee), San Antonio, Tx and San Diego, CaJuly 30, 2015
Overall... Great! I miss it!
First tour was in San Antonio, Tx. Typical 8 to 5 job. Land duty is the best time to get some schooling done.
Second tour was on a ship out of San Diego, Ca. Hours varied.
Of course, deployments put a strain on family. The Navy has many programs to emotionally support family members during these times.
Benefits are all great. Jobs Security is great.
Management can – more... be good or bad. Some people may have been advanced because of the time they have been in and they will have no supervisor skills. Or you may have natural born leader or someone who has taken the time to acquire those skills.
Job culture overall is good. I am proud to be a veteran, to have served in the Navy!
To be honest, all aspects depend on type of job (rate) and duty station. I would recommend the Navy! – less
Challenging and Productive
Submarine Nuclear Power Supervisor / LELT (Current Employee), Silverdale, WAJuly 30, 2015
As a nuclear operator on a submarine, life is surreal, demanding, and challenging. Balance is difficult and the job provides little opportunity for mistakes. The outcome initially is exhaustion, but long term these conditions bring one out of their comfort zone and grows a person beyond normal expectations.
High speed
Master At Arms (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXJuly 30, 2015
Typical day at work consists of constant training to be able to deploy anywhere in the world within 72 hours. Proper weapons training, rules of engagement in different countries, basic military bearing.
Effective and rewarding workplace
Blue Gold Officer (Current Employee), Mobile, ALJuly 30, 2015
I love working for the USNA! I have the freedom to work at my own pace but still accomplish the mission of manning the fleet with new young Officers. It is the most rewarding recruiting position I have ever had.
Life of the military is only understood if you are in.
Front Line Supervisor (Former Employee), norfolk, vaJuly 30, 2015
Pros: Benefits, training, leadership
Cons: Hours, Loss of freedom
Over 100 hrs a week when not on deployment. 24/7 when you are. Great training and management oppurtinities. Not the ideal job for a family man like myself.
Job of an elite set of individuals
Information systems technician (Current Employee), Great Lakes, ILJuly 30, 2015
Pros: Atmosphere is like no other atmosphere I've ever felt before.
Cons: Long, exhausting work days
There is no such thing as a typical day in the Navy. You have the typical things you have to get done to meet requirements and dead lines, but everyday is something new and exciting. I've learned so much about the world, the Navy, and myself from this experience. I don't regret joining what so ever. I feel like the Navy makes you work as a team, even if you're not used to something like that. It also – more... teaches leadership and how to lead other sailors. As you move up in rank, you gain more responsibility and mentorship over the other sailors. Just as most places, you have good leaders and bad leaders, but you learn to make due with those. Likewise, you have good shipmates and back shipmates. As a sailor, though, it's your job to keep those highly trained individuals on track.
The hardest part about being in the Navy is the lack of physical prescence of my family and some of the things we do can definitely take a toll on you. With every downfall, there's always an upside. I love the Navy and everything it has to offer. I've gotten to see new things, meet new people, and build a skill set that I never thought I'd have. – less
It's the Navy
Radioman, Teletype Repairman (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJuly 30, 2015
Excellent pay, locations, travel, advancement. The Navy taight me MANY different things most importantly how to be a leader.
Well structured and easy going environment to work
System Admin (Former Employee), Bethesda, MDJuly 29, 2015
Pros: Difficult to advance
Cons: Awesome benefits
Worked as part of a four(4) man team mostly Creating and maintaining user accounts, profiles, security, rights, disk space and process monitoring.
The environment is mostly headed by Military officers and 2 civilians. Department consisted of about 24 military and civilian personnel. Normally teams were integrated.
Job growth or advancement was limited to civilian personnel which didn't favor me then but it they made sure we kept abreast with our specialty. There was always someone eager to lend a hand to make sure all task are completed on time. We held job training days monthly to further equip personnel.
Structured and safe.
Operation Specialist (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJuly 29, 2015
Serving in the US Navy is a difficult lifestyle but the benefits are worth it! Definitely a fast paced environment and a strong sense of family!
Great Organization
Chief Administrative Manager (Current Employee), Virginia Beach, VAJuly 29, 2015
Pros: Job Security
Cons: Relocations
The U.S. Navy is a great place to learn and grow personally and professionally. I believe that everyone should spend at least two years in the military. It will prepare them for the rest of their lives.
Great job for someone fresh out of high school
Disbursing Officer, Petty Officer Third Class (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FloridaJuly 29, 2015
Pros: See the world
Cons: Not really any
Gave me a ton of opportunities and helped me mature and grow up! Also taught me discipline and love of this country! I am incredibly grateful for the United States Navy and all that they showed me!

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Navy

Imagine working with the most awe-inspiring equipment and technology the world has ever seen. Making your living as a rescue swimmer – Read more

U.S. Navy Salaries