U.S. Navy
9,422 reviews

U.S. Navy Employer Reviews

Aircraft Mechanic
Jet Aircraft Mechanic (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VA/ Forwardly DeployedFebruary 28, 2015
12 hours a day, 7 days a week. Diagnose, repair and replace parts while executing launch and recovery missions on the flight deck of Naval Aircraft Carrier.
The greatest life experience ever
Hull Maintenance Technician Fireman (Former Employee), Continental United StatesFebruary 28, 2015
Pros: everything
Cons: difficult for families.
My time in the Navy helped shaped the man I've become. Its given me the skills necessary for being a productive person. The people I've met are some of the greatest people I will ever have known and the leadership was tough, but fair.
Large value on knowledge
Mechanical Systems Repair Technician and Operator (Former Employee), may port, FLFebruary 28, 2015
Pros: lots of options and fun
Cons: deployments
durring my time at the navy i had a great time. i learned a lot. i traveled often. the job itself was very fun. learning lots every day and constant workload. the worst part was constant long hours that after such a long time made you feel very tired and impacted your ability to work. all in all i did enjoy the navy very much. the people are really what made the job. the "family" you earn there will be with you for a lifetime.
great job
Electronic Technician (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAFebruary 28, 2015
Pros: travel
Cons: time away from home
Teaches you life skills and about diversity. How to handle different groups of people and how to interact professional with those different from yourself.
Crazy hours but awesome weapons
Quartermaster 3rd Class Petty Officer (Current Employee), Little Creek, VAFebruary 28, 2015
Pros: great learning experience
Cons: gone from home a lot.
difficult hours with family life, hard work. Good pay off for skills and work ethic, lots of opportunities to take charge and also be a part of a great team. The most enjoyable part of my job was was the camaraderie and the opportunities to learn everyday.
US Navy
Electronic Technician 2nd Class Petty Officer (Current Employee), Virginia Beach, VirginiaFebruary 28, 2015
Pros: job security
Cons: demanding schedule
Great job security and advancement. Pay is decent, once you make decent rank. However, deployments and normal ship operations/inspections become your ENTIRE life. Sea duty is 4-5 years and is very difficult to have a life outside of work due to the constant, demanding schedule.
professional with rank structure for advancement
Ship Serviceman (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: health care, advancement, steady pay
Cons: not choosing duty stations
while in the military I have worked at multiple commands. A typical day in the beginning of my career would have been receiving, storing, and displaying merchandise for ships morale but now in my career I work in customer service to provide worldwide assistance to military and civilian callers. Being in the military I've learned organization, how to work efficiently and effectively under pressure, to lead train and supervise, and to adjust quickly to changing environments. The most enjoyable part of my job is the chance to grow and advance. The worse of my job would have to be the instability and the inability to choose my next duty station is the reason I am choosing to transition back to a civilian life.
meet new people.
MD (Former Employee), CaliforniaFebruary 27, 2015
they can have fun and be strict at the same time. it was nice to meet new faces and learn a large set of skills and rolls. fun to travel and get paid to protect the world
fun place to work
Work Center Supervisor (Former Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 27, 2015
There nice people around and like to help. Travel around the world for free the pay check with good looking number too.. Fantastic working experience.
Challenging work, closely knit community.
Fire Controlman (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: great benefits, job security, comradery.
Cons: deploying, 72 hour-long work days, hectic and unpredictable work schedule.
A day in the life of an Aegis Fire Controlman begins at 0700 on-board the ship where our superiors give us either weekly or daily tasks. We break from that to clean and organize our working areas. by 0830 work officially starts. A spy radar tech we accomplish our daily/weekly maintenance. the routine maintenance includes taking test readings of our equipment to ensure proper operability, Making adjustments either on the radar's integrated computer or on the components themselves. Finally, if the radar is faulty I would work tirelessly through the day and night either diagnosing the problem or removing and replacing parts to repair the fault.

Working as a radar technician in the Navy I have learned 3 quintessential things; Quality work comes from scrupulous attention to detail, thorough knowledge of equipment (not afraid to ask questions/look up necessary info), and strict adherence to prescribed procedures.

The most important factor to management is the transfer of knowledge. Everybody must be up to date with the systems status.

Without team-work, nothing can get accomplished. The Navy fosters a professional working environment in which everybody can depend on everybody else.

The hardest part of the job is, by far, deploying. Being apart from everything that is familiar for 7 months at a time is a personal challenge.

The most enjoyable part of the Navy is the satisfaction of knowing that what you did wasn't just a trivial job for a paycheck. It is knowing that the ship will be able to protect herself and, in so doing, will protect America from her enemies. Knowing that what I do will save lives is incredibly rewarding.
High tempo work environment
Fire Controlamn First class (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: benefits, advancement, travel
Cons: working hours, poor leadership, horrible time management from seniors
An average day at work consisted of a lot. It would start with morning quarters where I put out the plan for our division. We were involved in a lot from maintenance on weapons systems, training, career development, and admin work. I learned how to truly become a leader during my time in the Navy. I worked with a wide range of personalities and had to manage and supervise them all day to accomplish our daily tasks. The hardest part was being away from the family so much from my deployments to working an average of 12 hours a day. The best part was being able to see various countries that I never dreamed I'd be able to go to.
Go Navy!!
Aviation Ordnanceman (Former Employee), Everett, WAFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: travel the world, benefits, and new experience
Cons: being away from home and family
It was definitely hard work, at least after boot camp and training. A real commitment and you have to be dedicated to serving your country.
Fun flying, great travel
Naval Aviator (Former Employee), FL, TX, CA, JapanFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: nothing and i mean nothing compares to being shot off the pointy end of a carrier, except maybe landing on one.
Cons: long deployments.
Once a pilot earns their wings then the real work starts. Long hours. If you fly anything that deploys on a ship then standby for extended time at sea. Learning the working aspects of an aircraft carrier is fascinating, but after 4 cruises it got old for me.
Worlds Greatest Navy
Antiterrorism Force Protection Security Specialist (Former Employee), US, OverseasFebruary 27, 2015
Great place to work and serve your country. Enjoyed the time a served in various locations around the world. I would do it again if I had the chance and able.
Great Experience
Collections Manager; Front Line Supervisor (Current Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 27, 2015
The U.S. Navy has been a great overall experience for me. It has taught me to always be adaptive, confident, and the importance of team work. I love everything that is has allowed me to do through out my enlistment, and cheerish all of the relationships and experience I have as a result of it.
Amazing unique experience
Petty Officer Third Class (Former Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: fun, challenging
Cons: full time all year round
Long rewarding hours. Incredible life experience is learned. Build strong bonds with co-workers, they become almost family. Management is ready to assist in any needs to improve productivity. Fun exciting once in a life time opportunity to serve in the Military.
Awesome
Gunner's Mate (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAFebruary 26, 2015
It was the best experience of my entire life. I wanted to make a career out of it but my rate was overmanned. I was able to launch 55 missiles before I was discharged. It was really fun and I got to see the world in the process. They also paid for me to get my BA degree.
Very busy
Aviation Structural Mechanic (Former Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: experiance gained
Cons: no set hours, could work 8hrs could work 18hrs.
Assisted in Command Readiness with Inspections, documentation, working with high ranking individuals to keep training and licensing up to date, as well as safety reports.
Typical work day is busy. When not working on reports, i assisted in trouble shooting systems for multiple commands.
Most enjoyable part of the job was the people i worked with. Hardest part of the job was working with higher ranks.
Military
Military (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXFebruary 26, 2015
fun

hard tough work

good team work

good travel

not much down time

work more hours then sleep

learned more about guns and mechanics
The U. S. Navy is a good place to work.
Senior Manager (Current Employee), Port Hueneme, CAFebruary 26, 2015
The U. S. Navy gives you great training and the opportunity to advance in the ranks, advancement is unlimited if you take advantage of it.

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Navy

The US Navy maintains a variety of military equipment like ballistic missile submarines, aircraft carriers, surface warships, – Read more