U.S. Navy
10,390 reviews

U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Very structured, upper chain of command looks out for there junior sailors.
Machinist Mate (Current Employee), Norfolk VA/Mayport FLMay 24, 2015
Pros: health care, recognition, hands on maintenance
Cons: long distance between family.
My personal experience working for the United States navy was overall a learning experience and i gained and retained a lot of useful skills from the Navy, but i am ready too move on and put everything i learned to use at my next place of employment. I learned how too trouble shoot very vital equipment and keep it running in order to keep us at 100% readiness at all times. Qualified to maintain and operate things such as steam driven turbine generators, boiler, distilling plant, etc. How to manage my junior sailors and task them with day to day jobs and complete the work i delegated them in a timely manner. Using the navy's system looking up part serial numbers, ordering parts and tracking them in order to complete a job. Co-workers were always willing to help out and answer questions i needed help answering. The hardest part of my job while being in the Navy was being away from my wife, family and friends. The most enjoyable part would have too be seeing the world on the two deployments i was on and being able to work with my hands and physically fixing equipment.
U.S. Navy Electrical/Electronic technician
Interior Communications Technician (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 23, 2015
Pros: Seeing the world
Cons: Long seperation from family
Allowed me to learn a trade and experience the world. Few days at work were the same, which was a very exciting thing. It gave me agility in the workplace; showing me how to adapt to situations and learn on the go. I learned how to work very well with people of various backgrounds, cultures and experience levels. The hardest part of the job was not knowing what was next at times, but luckily it showed me how to thrive in that situation as well. The most enjoyable part of the job was being a part of a bigger picture.
productive workplace with challenges
Petty Officer Second Class (Current Employee), New Orleans , LAMay 23, 2015
Best branch in the military.. Been able to travel all over the world and see many things, and meet many interesting people.
Challanging and fun.
Aviation Machinist Mate (Former Employee), NAS Whidbey Island, WAMay 23, 2015
Pros: benifits
Cons: Chain of command
I learned a lot and and expanded my knowage. benfits were the best and easy to use. Chain of Command at Fleet Readiness Center North West could have been much better. the work you did didn't really matter toward you evaluation.
life changing expireance
Boatswain's Mate (Former Employee), norfolk,vaMay 23, 2015
not only was the navy a life changing but helped me obtain knowledge i would never would of received anywhere else.The best part of working for the navy was the amazing people i was able to meet around the world.
Outstanding experience
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAMay 23, 2015
Pros: Job security
Cons: Being away from family
Each day in the Navy I in countered some new experience and challenge. I must say over these past 20 years I became a better person and mentor in life. The hardest part of the job is when I Retired.
Productive, accomplishment centered
Fleet Operations / Production Manager (Former Employee), Lakehurst, NJMay 23, 2015
The best sea duty in the navy, Every day was a challenge that had to met met with a positive attitude. The leadership was great.
Life Changing Experience
Builder and Small Arms Range Instructor (Former Employee), Gulfport, MSMay 22, 2015
Pros: health care, travel, pay, and camaraderie
Cons: Long hours, life or death situations, poor advancement
People were great to work for, learned many skills, and experienced cultural differences, Life changing and pleased that I was able to serve my country and do whatever they needed me to do.
GREAT OPERTUNITY FOR TRAVEL
ADMINISTRATIVE TECHNICIAN (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 22, 2015
Pros: Travel
Cons: Uniform
Met a lot of interesting people. Learned a great deal about the countries I was stationed in. Learned job skills.Attended colege on the GI Bill.
I never stopped learning and stood proud to defend my country and the people in it.
Electrician's Mate 3rd Class (Former Employee), Pascagoula, MSMay 22, 2015
Pros: Free medical and dental care.
Cons: Not alot of personal time.
A typical day aboard the U.S. Thomas S. Gates consisted of several maintenance repairs and or preventive maintenance on any electrical equipment onboard. The Navy taught me the importance of obedience as well as team work. Any team is as strong as it's weakest link. While serving onboard I have come to grasp that managers must be knowledgeable, persuasive, and understanding. My co-workers consisted of many nationalities from all walks of life. I wasn't always happy but in time I learned to seek happiness within them. We were family anytime we were underway and our survival and mission accomplishment depended solely upon teamwork. The hardest part of the job was leaving the country and loved ones I love so dearly for extended periods of time usually six months at a time. The most enjoyable part of the job was being apart of something much bigger than myself.
Professional educational developmental and progressive environment.
Information Technician Seaman (Current Employee), Naval Base NorfolkMay 22, 2015
I am a reservist in the Navy I have served for almost a year on active duty for training in which I received some of the most advanced and professional training for my rate in the navy.
The U.S. Navy was a cultural learning experience.
Communications Specialist (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 22, 2015
The interaction with different people from different places, all coming together in the service of their country, taught me tolerance and gave me a strong sense of community and belonging. It was an experience that I would not have missed.
Great experience
IT Technician (Former Employee), Virginia Beach VirginiaMay 22, 2015
The Navy was a great experience that allowed me to learn a lot about my job and also who I am as a person. The benefits were amazing.
military
Interior Communications Electrician (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 22, 2015
Pros: Travel, job security, benefits
Cons: pay
Great job for anyone pay not so great but benefits more then makes up for that. I got to see the world for free and gain a sense of pride serving my country.
rewarding career
Lead Training Officer (Former Employee), Camp Pendleton, CAMay 22, 2015
My primary job was taking care of the sick injured. When not deployed my primary job was teaching tactical care to junior personnel.
utilitiesman
utilitiesman (Current Employee), Bessemer, ALMay 22, 2015
combat training , and or contruction work or training. or general military training, traveling to work or train. completing tasks the navy asks of me.
Best Life Experience
Ship Serviceman (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAMay 22, 2015
Pros: A life changer in all aspects of life
Cons: not much personal time
weekends off, short work weeks when in port and family oriented environment. Not enough can be said about the experience gained from serving my country. Developed strong leadership qualities, verbal communication skills and how to work under intense circumstances.
Combat readyness of ship
Weapon-System Work Center Supervisor (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAMay 22, 2015
Pros: World wide travel, training program unmatched
Cons: Dictator style management
Endless hours and constant deployments, management unable to negotiate
Great travel but constant work
volunteering is an obligation contract
Patience is a lesson learned the hard way in this job, everything else in life is kids play after 20 years in the military
great environment, great travel great life
Aviation Electrician (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 22, 2015
Pros: good pay, great co-workers
Traveling the world in defense of America's freedom. This job allowed me to view the real world as I had opportunity to meet some interesting people and defuse many of the negative stereotypes about America and it's citizens. By far the most memorable years of my life.
long work days
Machinery Repairman Second Class U.S Navy (Former Employee), jacksonville, FLMay 21, 2015
Just like every other job you have your up and downs. Just more downs than ups. boss is always on your back you stay away from family for longs periods at a time its just hard for not only you but for your loved ones

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Navy

Imagine working with the most awe-inspiring equipment and technology the world has ever seen. Making your living as a rescue swimmer – Read more

U.S. Navy Salaries