U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Found 18,192 reviews matching the search
Serve your Country and Schooling
Nuclear Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 22, 2017
Learned a lot - enjoyed the travel benefits and opportunity to Learn. As well as the experience of being on Submarines and Naval Community. See the foreign countries and get the schooling.
Challenging not for everyone
Sonar Technician Submarines (Former Employee) –  Groton, CTJuly 22, 2017
When it comes to the Navy, my job as a sonar tech was great. However the military structure was not for me and the fact I couldn't change stuff was enough for me to not stay.
Pros
Free heath care
Cons
Unfair treatment
6 year submariner
Nuclear Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaJuly 22, 2017
I served 6 years as a submarine Nuclear Electronics Tech. The Navy was a great start to my life after high school. I deployed with some great guys and still keep in touch. Deployments are hard on families but it is a community and you go through it together.
great place to work
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSJuly 22, 2017
Enjoyed working with everyone. Very fast paced, attention to detail is a must. Loved working near the water and watching all the boats being built from the ground up.
Us navy
Aircraft Troubleshooter (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJuly 21, 2017
A lot of traveling. A lot of work. Decent pay. meet new people. Worked on cool equipment. Saw cool things. Great time and horrible times but it was worth it
See The World
Command Master Chief (Former Employee) –  VariousJuly 21, 2017
I truly enjoyed my 32 years in the Navy. I got to go around the world once flying in a P-3 aircraft and then doing a Med Cruise and a West Pac on a ship. Yes, long hours and many years I missed birthdays, anniversaries, and family time but the pay and benefits after 32 years are wonderful. I got to see sights that people dream of seeing.
Biggest enjoyment was the people that I worked with all along my career, made some outstanding friends that I still have to this day.
Pros
Advancement, Pay, Benefits, Education
Cons
Lots of long days and duty on weekends.
Challenging and rewarding experience thoughout my 22 year career.
Chief Equipment Operator, School Director (Former Employee) –  Ridgecrest, CAJuly 21, 2017
I enjoyed being a part of our great country's military and gained a tremendous amount of life experiences. I proudly served for 22 years and would like to have another successful career. I was a part of a fantastic team that dealt with a great diverse group of people from all walks of life and formed a bond that made the work place enjoyable. A typical day at work would consist of taking accountability of anywhere between 28-89 people and managing their daily work schedule and tasking. The workplace consisted of a number of different people from several different cultures and nationalities. I learned how to not only manage such a diverse group of people but how to get them to work together. I had to figure out everyones personality and what made them "click." The most rewarding part of the job was having the satisfaction to honorably serve my country and make a positive impact on the younger peoples lives.
Pros
Benefits, guaranteed job
Cons
Long hours, deplyments
Good experiences
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brunswick, MEJuly 21, 2017
I joined a little later than most and wish that I had joined earlier, than maybe I would have stayed in longer. I am very grateful for all of the opportunities that I received while active duty, and for the experiences that I acquired. Would have probably stayed in longer if I did not end up having some personal family issues that needed my presence.
Not well run
Master at Arms (Former Employee) –  Souda Bay, GreeceJuly 21, 2017
The navy suffers from subpar management and an inability to manage funds. Underachievers are promoted by completing massive amounts of volunteer work during working hours but are less than able to perform the duties required for their position.
Benefits
Cons
long days that stretch into weeks and up to a month, bad leadership, toxic environment, not family friendly
Its the Militray
Calibration Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 21, 2017
Really I have to review the untied States Navy? this iis funny its the military. its not for all. take ti or leave it they will teach you things but will grind your soul away at the same time.
Government work
Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  Silverdale, WAJuly 20, 2017
I personally loved the Navy. I would've stayed career if I didn't have medical issues that made it to where they wouldn't let me re-enlist. Got to see the world and work with a lot of good people.
Pros
Guaranteed work
Cons
Government work
Great career if college is not your cup of tea
Production Control, Quality Assurance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  VariousJuly 20, 2017
I have traveled all over the world and having served for 20 years, I would go back tomorrow if they asked me. I learned skills that helped me transition to civilian life.
Pros
travel
Cons
time away from family when deployed
A very tough job.
Marine corp Security Force (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaJuly 20, 2017
The Navy, like any military organization is very hard on the personal life especially when you have a family and have to be deployed for months or years on end. I completed 11 years at sea and have travel the world.
I have learned many skills and different skill sets that have helped me advance in the military and in the civilian sector. A very tight nit community with a well structured and historic culture.
Pros
Traveled the world.
Cons
Being away from the family.
US Navy- not for everyone!
Petty Officer Second Class (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 20, 2017
The US Navy is a great place to cut your teeth and acquire real-life skills. They say it's not for everyone, and it's difficult to understand until you've served. Serving on board a US Navy vessel is a challenging and industrial setting where many toxic fumes from various hazardous material can infiltrate confined spaces.
Individual talent and recognition is often way-sided in preference of a big-picture outlook for the command.
I've seen the most diligent workers go unnoticed and unappreciated, but at the same time, when I advanced through the ranks, I was able to more directly and positively boost the morale of the personnel working under my supervision.
Pros
Reliable pay, health benefits, retirement savings plan, equal opportunity employer, experience in the real world, cultural impact
Cons
long hours, unclear parameters for management positions, minimal individual incentive
The Military is what you make of it.
Interior Communications Electrician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 20, 2017
I enjoyed my 4 years in the military. I was able to come out of it more patient and discipline than when I went in. With the varying work environment I learned adaptability. I also enjoyed meeting people from all over the world. A typical day at work would start with meeting my grooming standards than checking inventory of equipment. Once that was done I would conduct scheduled repairs to equipment in a timely manner. I enjoyed the military very much however I had to leave to further my career and education.
Pros
Healthcare, Job security
Cons
Being far away from family often for months at a time
Life experience
Aviation Ordnanceman (Former Employee) –  Lemoore Naval Air Station, CAJuly 20, 2017
Could be stressful depending on your job. Long hours, long deployments. My shop was more or less like a family. Must be able to be a hard worker and go the extra mile to be successful.
great place
Culinary Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 20, 2017
the navy taught me a lot of things and made me the hardworking person i am today. it taught me leadership, teamwork and organization. it also taught me discipline.
Time in Service
Cryptologic Technician Interpretive (Former Employee) –  Great Lakes, ILJuly 20, 2017
I didn't leave the Navy in the best of terms but I will always value my time in service. I came from a family with a lot of military background and the values instilled in my parents definitely transferred to their parenting styles. I always loved the stability and structure provided by the military. I learned so much, from professional bearing to Mandarin. The hardest part of the job was always being on call. Occasionally I wished that as a lower enlisted I had more a voice in management but thats just how it goes.
Pros
Stability, experience, great benefits, stayed in shape
Cons
always on call
absolutely sucked
Gas Turbine Technician Mechanical (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 20, 2017
they tried to sweep a medical issue under the rug and i will forever hate the navy for that. if youre thinking about the navy... dont. once you are no longer useful to them they will throw you away like a used condom.
This is where it all starts
Medic for a Platoon Element of US Marines (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAJuly 20, 2017
Proud of my service and the training that i got in leadership and got to see the world great to learn a trade or to make a career would recomend for any body

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Navy. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4