U.S. Navy Employee Reviews in United States

Found 13,903 reviews matching the search
Excellent career choice
Operations Officer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 3, 2016
Each day had different challenges. I learned to be flexible. Management was consistent and organized. Co-workers were true-team players and dedicated to the mission of the organization. The most difficult part of the job was the knowledge that we would be deployed for months. The most enjoyable part of the job was the diversity and background of individuals.
Pros
Excellent work environment, good leaders, and ability to be promoted
Cons
Long deployments
Exciting Career with Travel and loads of benefits
Command and Control Center Specialist -OS (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 1, 2016
My experience in the US Navy was very exciting. I got a whole new sense of patriotism I have never had. Excellent camaraderie and sense of belonging. I visited places I have never seen before and remain great friends with many of my fellow service members. Lots of on the job training in different fields, lots of variety was offered through the transition into higher ranks.
Pros
Job security, benefits
Cons
Family separation, being on call
It's an Adventure
Flag Admin Leading Chief (Office/Program Manager) (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 29, 2016
A typical day at work is to learn to expect the unexpected! Especially when it comes to scheduling. Maintain your ability to be fluid and adjust to the erratic work schedule.

Management is great!

Co-workers become lifetime friends!

The hardest part of the job is the long separation from the immediate family.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the feeling of returning home and being with the family again.
Pros
Core Values
Cons
Long term separations
There's Always Work To Be Done
Supply, logistics (Former Employee) –  USS Wasp LHD-1June 3, 2016
The U.S Navy was a great experience. I've met and had the pleasure of working with people from all over the world. A typical work day included routine maintenance. When equipment malfunctions, it becomes top priority and involves many hours of hard labor depending on the type of equipment and the extent of the repairs required. I like the closeness or the family-like environment. In my personal opinion, if you don't like or get along with the people you work with, then you won't do a good job because of the lack of enthusiasm.
Pros
medical, dental and educational benefits
Intense work pace
Quality Assurance Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA 92106June 16, 2016
Leadership makes a difference out in the Fleet. I had the interesting opportunity to move fast through the ranks and take upon a leadership and mentorship position early on. We worked extremely long hours but at the end of the day I felt accomplished and proud to work with many of my co-workers and getting the job done. Family time was very limited but my family is proud that I have served my country.
Pros
Mentoring others
Cons
Long hours and deployments
The job was rewarding
Aircraft Maintainer (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMay 27, 2016
I worked on F/A-18 Super Hornet ejection seats, the job was fun and exciting knowing that you were the person to save the pilots life before the jet crashes. Being in the Navy taught me to be an outstanding team leader, a great listener and and amazing technician, I have been given many awards and certificates for my keen attention to detail when it came to my work, also been given jobs above my pay grade for that same reason also.
Hardest part of my job was getting to understand the aircraft and all my subsystems that i worked on but once that was understood everything seemed easier.
Pros
working around F/A-18 Super Hornets
Cons
Stressful environment
Insane
Information Systems Technician (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 7, 2016
Pay is slightly adequate. Medical is terrible and management isn't the best. There are too many young kids going in straight after high school who think they're owed something by joining. Communication between leadership and workers is terrible. The "benefits" weren't as great as had seemed from the beginning. Training is the same and happens about 4 times a year in the same exact subjects. Morale is always low, especially when workload is so heavy
Pros
Travel, Some good people
Cons
Hectic work schedule for the pay, Medical
Logistics
Logistics (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 1, 2016
The Navy as I know is very comprehensive organization, with a vast variety of high level training and demanded skill sets. Over my 10+ years I have become experience in the vast world of Logistic. Managing major budgets, auditing records, accounting for 100k+ inventories, and training and motivating a team of successful subornments. The hardest part about my job that I fell in love with was the constant need to always be on target with our financial picture. To ensure accurate accountability of all funds and stock. Challenging at times but very rewarding as it developed a skill within me that allows me to work under intense pressures.
Pros
Accountiable for major budgets
Cons
Accountiable for major budgets
It's what you make it
hospital corpsman (Current Employee) –  Twentynine Palms, CAMay 28, 2016
A hospital corpsman works in a wide variety of capacities and locations, including shore establishments such as naval hospitals and clinics, aboard ships, and as the primary medical caregivers for sailors while underway. Hospital corpsmen are frequently the only medical care-giver available in many fleet or Marine units on extended deployment. In addition, hospital corpsmen perform duties as assistants in the prevention and treatment of disease and injury and assist health care professionals in providing medical care to sailors and their families.
Pros
good bennifts
fun and exciting workplace to go into everyday
operations specialist (Former Employee) –  norfolk virginiaJune 3, 2016
Typical day would require doing daily maintenance on ship and carry out other duties.
i learned to be better team member and work as a group, navigating and running/operating navy radar equipment.
Management was sometimes not very tentative and would not lead us into the right direction. The most enjoyable part of the Navy was getting to meet people from all over and raveling the world.
Pros
travel, benefits, people
Cons
distance, sometimes repetitive
Great Place to Build a Career
Manager and Leader (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 6, 2016
There is no real typical work day in the Navy, but in general as the Chief Engineer, I provide my officers and Khaki Leadership direction and expectation for the day and for the week.

I learned a great deal about leadership and management in the military.

I enjoyed working with fellow department heads

The hardest part of my job was leaving my young children as home while I go overseas.

The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting new people overseas.
Pros
Great advancement opportunity
Cons
Leaving Family behind
Structured organization with a lot to give.
Non-Commissioned Officer 3rd Class (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 9, 2016
While ashore, work days were dependent on work load, usually resulting in minimal hours due to highly motivated team. Deployment was a very set 12+ hours daily, 7 days a week with port visits every 6 weeks for 10 month deployments. Being deployed was certainly the most difficult on family and quality of life aspects, however it allowed opportunities to visit countries all over the world. Being in such close living quarters and surrounding ones self with work personnel allowed many opportunities to grow personally and professionally.
Pros
Veteran benefits.
Cons
Extended time away from family.
Great education and did see the world!
Navy Instructor / Petty Officer First Class/ E-6 (Former Employee) –  Overseas and Conus assignmentsJune 10, 2016
Assigned to shore facilities in WV, Imperial Beach, CA, Misawa, Japan and schools in Pensacola, FL (Several Times) One tour at Sea in Jacksonville, FL. I enjoyed my 20 years and traveled to 19 different countries.
Advanced as far as I desired and worked for some of the best supervisors I ever had in my life. My education on repair of communications systems was the best available.
Hardest part was family separation. Best part was taking family overseas for two tours in Japan.
Pros
Great Benefits, Medical & Retirement.
Cons
What I did made a difference
Electronics Technician Chief Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 12, 2016
There was no such thing as a typical day at work. Every day brought new challenges and I learned to manage problems and lead teams of personnel that met these challenges head on and did not fail. The people I worked with varied as much as any work environment possibly could. Learning how to work with people with diverse backgrounds and cultures was very rewarding. Getting those people to work with each other was exhilarating. It was also the most challenging part of my job.
Pros
worked with the greatest people in the world
Cons
family life balance
Productive work environment based on stressful schedule and fear of consequences
Aircrew Survival Equipmentman (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJune 13, 2016
A typical day at work would to go in early (anywhere from 5-7 AM depending on what was agreed upon) I would look at the flight schedule. Based off of the flight schedule I would make sure the pilots gear was good to go and then i would cross reference their names and make sure their inspections were up to date. If they weren't i would perform the inspection and then update any changes into the data base.
Serve your country as long as you're wanted
Helicopter Aircraft Commander (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 16, 2016
A typical day is spent training or dealing with red tape. Years of flight training culminated in one operational tour. Most of the tour focused on tactical training, yet the only operational flying consisted of logistics. After years of flight training and one tour, the Navy is content to let you go without using your training for another tour.
Pros
Flying is enjoyable, serving your country
Cons
Red tape, poor use of resources
Exciting day-to-day challenges in a new environment
Information Systems Technician (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 16, 2016
You will meet leaders who are personally invested into every one of their team's future career, and co-workers who you'll depend on for everything. A culture of brotherhood and professionalism will instill a sense of pride in everyone. Exciting travel opportunities ensure your continued career development by placing more challenges with different locations and equipment is ensured.
Pros
Travel, Fostering environment
Cons
Long travel
24/7 life style
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 16, 2016
Great experiences - traveled the world for free.
Management responsibilities- forced with rank to take on management responsibilities and duties such as scheduling, shop priority and taking care of junior and senior co-workers by helping them make rank.
Hardest part of the job is being away from family.
While being in aviation community we had a saying: "when your at work you forget about flying, when your flying you forget about work."
Pros
free world travel and benefits
Cons
being away from family and not knowing when you will be home next
Tough, yet highly rewarding job.
Fire Controlman (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJune 19, 2016
Being a Fire Controlman is a tough, yet fun job. Everyday is a learning experience and you can always expect to learn something new. Sometimes the hardest part of the job is pin pointing what the exact problem is with the equipment. That is when my co-workers and I put our heads together and collectively come up with various ideas that lead to getting the job done. Yes, some days are harder and longer than others, but I wouldn't trade my position for anything in the world.
Pros
Benefits, skill sets improved, discipline sharpened, rewards high
Cons
Long days
Honor, Courage, And Commitment
Utility (Current Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXJune 24, 2016
Being in the military can very well alter how your typical day at work at any moment. You learn a variety of things that and I can't just pin point one specific thing but my job is a UT (utilities mate HVAC & Plumbing). The military is structured on chain of command your leaders can vary at all times. The hardest part about being in the military is going to serve and being away from your loved ones. Last but not least the most enjoyable part of the job is being part of something thats about more than just you.

4.4