U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Found 15,730 reviews matching the search
Jet Engine Mechanic
Shop or Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL -Oak Harbor, WaJanuary 18, 2017
Things didn't differ much whether we were at our home base or onboard ship. Support the flight schedule, make repairs, prepare for the next flight. Different crews worked different areas, shop/hangar and the flight line/deck. Working in the hangar performing PM's (upkeep maintenance), of engines and fuel systems, plus the removal and replacing of the engine/s and prepare for the engine test run. Flight Line supporting the Flight Schedule, minor repairs upon the return of the aircraft, then refuel and prepare for the next flight.
Pros
the closeness that I felt with the people/family that I worked with
Cons
I'm not doing it anymore
Enviroment allows you to grow. But job is not for the weak.
Hull Maintenance Technician (E-5) (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 9, 2017
Work varies by rate, but typical work week was monday through friday (plus 24 hour duty day, which could be a saturday or sunday) 7am-4pm.

Management sucks, but the comradery you develop with the other guys is second to none. Great place to work if you don't mind the long hours and random schedule changes.
Pros
full benefits, job security, pay
Cons
upper management, sometimes treated like a child, random schedule changes.
Long hours See the world
Machinist Mate (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 16, 2017
Seven years of service in the US Navy earning rank of Second Class Petty Officer. Skilled in the operation and upkeep of mechanical systems to include; hydraulic systems, high and low pressure air, sea and fresh water, steam systems and piping system diagrams with an understanding of career development. Impeccable integrity, priding self on strength in leadership, mentoring and development of team atmosphere. Accustomed to working in high stress and physically demanding environments.
12 wonderful years
Dental Technician 3rd Class (FMF) (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 8, 2017
As a people person a typical day of consists of interacting with people from all over the world. You gain experience relating with an unlimited amount of people from everywhere. I learned how better to motivate a team to meet goals, exceed expectations and enjoy the rewards. Management at my store was fair and balanced. Hardest part of my job, is looking for another job and leaving those behind. The most enjoyable part of my job is my team. I believe in making them like your family away from home, learn with them and succeed with them and fail with them. It builds a unity unmatched. Its what I will miss mostly about my current position.
Pros
Full speed ahead
Cons
Fast pace difficult but fun working environment
Electronic Technician (Former Employee) –  Pearl Harbor, HIJanuary 18, 2017
During my time in the navy i was often asked to do things that i may have not been ready for, due to the lack of personnel and demanding work environment. Although this created stress on me it caused me to learn quickly and become a better worker. It was a rewarding time serving in the Navy and the experience and experiences i gained from it i will forever be humble.
Pros
Great benefits and advancement
Cons
Away from friends and family a lot
Everything Needed Available
Seaman Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Groton, ConnecticutFebruary 9, 2017
A typical day in the Navy was cleaning by mopping, washing windows, vacuuming, and taking at the trash. I learned how to properly clean rooms and handling custodian type tasks in larger buildings. The management was always clear on the task that is to be done. The work culture is what I described above those are the typical tasks. The hardest part of the day would be getting it all done on a good time. The most enjoyable part of the days worked was the staff and the ability to work freely.
I should have never got out.
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Coronado, CA. Norfolk, VAJanuary 17, 2017
Just like every job the navy has its ups and downs, The downs seem even worse because you're typically thousands of miles away from home, but in the long run the navy is definitely worth it. At no other job I have ever had i've never felt the same sense of accomplishment for completing tasks, i've never had the same sense of pride as i did when i showed up to work knowing its for the sake of my country, and i've never made friends as loyal and good hearted as the ones i did in the service. 10 out of 10 would recommend.
Pros
free housing, food, dental, medical.
Cons
Being told you have an accent by people that have an accent.
militant, time conserving, practical and efficient tactics
Culinary Specialist (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAJanuary 18, 2017
the military was an interesting experience in which I learned how to work with my hands and brain alike. it takes a lot of initiative to get things done and the harder I worked during the day the faster I got off in the afternoon. it is a place where your shipmates are not only your coworkers but your roommate as well. therefore there is no inclination to privacy or discretion.
Pros
you live at work so all your needs are always met
Cons
you live at work so there is no going home
Fun and eventful workplace
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Mayport, FLJanuary 24, 2017
Navy Life start easy but became difficult over the years due to the chain of command and how things were operated in my commad. The job was easy and fun. I learned a lot about myself while serving and meet a lot of awesome people that i may have not crossed paths with prior to the service. The Hardest part about the job was having to deal with people higher ranking taking advantage of whats on there collar. the most enjoyable part was to travel.
Pros
benefits, travel, time off
Cons
personal
Good experience where you can learn a lot about yourself and your fellow man.
Gunners Mate (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAJanuary 16, 2017
The navy was a pretty enjoyable experience for me; I made a lot of good life long friends while I was enlisted. The days could certainly drag on but were mostly enjoyable. I learned a lot about how to interact with people of different cultures. Management could be pretty one-sided depending on who was your supervisor but was usually pretty fair about work. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting all the friends that I still maintain contact with to this day.
Responsible job for responsible adults
Logistics Manager (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 17, 2017
Joining the Navy was one of the most influential decisions of my life. It has changed the quality of life for my family and helped me set my standards for future employers. **Beware** Choose your rate, choose your fate! My job as a logistics specialist had orders available worldwide, however, depending on the specialty of the rate you choose, you may very well spend your career in a carrier or on a submarine. Choose wisely!
Pros
benefits, network, opportunities
Cons
replaces your family life
In-port days short
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 17, 2017
Increases in labor productivity are often the result of technological inventions that make each unit of labor more efficient. Less well-known; however, are the ways in which institutional inventions contribute to labor productivity. The five-day work week is an institution. While, it may be hard to think of it as an institution because it is so ingrained in our psyche. It was human-made and thus invented, which also means it can be changed. In fact, recent studies suggest that a shorter working week can increase labor productivity.
It is what you make it.
Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  Various locations inside and outside of USJanuary 18, 2017
You will never have a set schedule, you may work 40 hours straight get a 3 hour nap then work another 20+ hours. Upper management is a joke and more concerned with politics than getting a job done quickly and correctly. Your coworkers will be your family, you eat, sleep, work, etc with them every day you will become closer with them than anyone else in your life. The hardest part of the job isn't the long hours its the red tape and politics.
Pros
Decent benifits, permenant job if you dont get into trouble with the law.
Cons
Mismanagment, little to know time with family
Great way to start out instead of going straight to college
Cryptologic Technician Maintenance (Former Employee) –  HawaiiJanuary 20, 2017

Teamwork
Discipline
Consistency

Management:
Trained people and got the task at hand done early

Workplace Culture:
Very diverse mix of people.
laid back at times
Hard Charging if things need to get done

Hardest part of the job:
Being so faraway from family. Lived in Hawaii tickets were expensive to come home to the mainland.

Most enjoyable part of the job:
Playing team sports during group Physical Training and Living in Hawaii of course.
Arduous but rewarding service to country
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJanuary 23, 2017
Typical day at work may start at 7 am and end at 7 pm if the tempo is high. Duties may include: Assist in setting up a scenario, standing an armed watch, writing evaluations for fellow sailors, and participating in an hour long debrief/review of such training exercises.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the reward of knowing you did your service, and can leave at most any time you desire.
Pros
Job Security, Travel, Exercise.
Cons
Uncertainty of work location, high work levels lead to stress.
Great Job Security
Tower Branch Chief/Air Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  NAS Corpus Christ, TXJanuary 24, 2017
The United States Navy is a great branch of the military to serve your country. I completed 20 years and if you don't break the law or do something crazy you can almost guarantee a full career in the Navy. I was an Air Traffic Controller so my work schedule was a rotating shift every other week and it depended on what duty station you work at. The Navy is set up to have you on a ship every other duty station depending on your job and each duty station period ranges from 2 to 5 years. All in all my experience was a good one and I would never do anything differently.
Pros
Great benefits, 2 1/2 vacation days a month
Cons
Sea Duty, Working hours
Challenging, Exciting, Experience
Fire Suppression Technician/Fire Fighter (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 26, 2017
I Have learned so much from the Navy, and i have seen half the world with the Navy and its like family once to get to a duty station and learn the people.
Hard part of the job is leaving your family for short periods of time and long periods of time.
My most enjoyable parts of my service was the uniform and the chance to come to work on a navy ship everyday, and special operation missions.
Pros
compensation and experience
Cons
Time away.
While serving in the US Navy, I worked as a Deck Seaman on-board a Military Vessel called, "The USS Trenton".
Deck Seaman (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 26, 2017
'During my time in service, I got to meet a lot of new friends, I lived on-board a ship, and a worked as a Deck Seaman which was easy since I was a Subordinate and I didn't have to issue orders and instruct people on what procedures to take in order to fulfill a work day'.
Pros
'It felt as though, I was living at home, the only difference was that, I out at sea.
Cons
I was away from home more than usual.
Military
Nuclear Machinist/ELT (Former Employee) –  Kings Bay Naval Submarine Support Base, GAJanuary 26, 2017
It's hard, long hours low pay, very bureaucratic. Slow to do anything unless taking money is involved. The benefits cant be beat, however it can be difficult to find time to use them depending on your chosen field. Management obviously varies from command to command, You might get to see the world or you might get stuck in a metal tube for months at a time and never see a foreign port. Being a community and family there is opportunities for fun and good times.
Pros
Healthcare, housing, food, job security
Cons
loss of personal identity, loss of free time, loss of choices, very strict
Third Class Petty Officer / Plant Manager
Quality Assurance Officer (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 29, 2017
Supervised 27 employees through the daily operations of combined cycle power plant facility comprised of three Rolls Royce electric generators, four General Electric LM2500 gas turbines and firefighting suppression systems. Trained equipment operators with an emphasis on safety, quality and regulatory compliance while overseeing and scheduling the preventive and corrective maintenance during both operational and overhaul conditions.
Pros
Government training, healthcare
Cons
Family separation for extended periods of time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Navy. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4