U.S. Navy
10,809 reviews

U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Great learning environment.
Cryptologic Technician, Petty Officer Second Class (Former Employee), Great Lakes, ILJuly 7, 2015
Depending on where you're stationed, the job can be the best or the worst. The things you learn while in the Navy, can be invaluable. You learn teamwork, communication, attention to detail, time management and many other things.
Responsibility
Construction Electrician E4 (Former Employee), BahrainJuly 7, 2015
Pros: Always busy
Cons: None
This job helped me mature. I entered the military right out of high school and it has taught me to be responsible.
Being a Construction Electrician has taught me many skills I can use in the near and far future.
A Great Experience that Changed My Life
Culinary Specialist (Former Employee), Sasebo, Japan, San Diego, CaliforniaJuly 7, 2015
Pros: Making a vast amount of food and baking.
Cons: not many breaks, lifting heavy boxes
A day to day routine with a scheduled time for everything. Management and co-workers worked efficiently to get everything done. The hardest part of the job is the long hours working due to standing and not many breaks. The most enjoyable part of the job was en-culturing myself in other countries meals and learning how to make them.
Hard work, great benefits
Second Class Petty Officer (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLJuly 7, 2015
Travel the world, make some money, get your college paid for. It's a difficult, taxing, fast paced environment, but the benefits make it worth it.
Very challenging and rewarding
Service Mines / Exercise & Training Mines Manager (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 7, 2015
The best job anyone could ever want. See the world while advancing in a fast paced environment. The only thing holding you back is yourself.
its an experience
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee), CAJuly 7, 2015
navy is great and I had a blast. got to see a lot and meet a lot of people helped get me ready for the future and to mature as a man
It's what you make of it.
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee), VirginiaJuly 7, 2015
Pros: Great Benefits; Good Experience.
Cons: Management and Leadership are very disappointing.
Reputable organization. Great benefits. Hard to move up if you're not in a "clique".
No organization at all but if you stay focused the job's mission and your own personal goals, you will be fine.
Excellent Training.
Electricians Mate (Former Employee), Groton, CTJuly 7, 2015
If I did not complete the Nuclear Power Program in the Navy, I would not have been able to get the job at Ginna. Mandatory review?
Secure Organization
Logistics, Inventory, and Weapons Specialist (Current Employee), Coronado, CAJuly 6, 2015
Integrated organization with amazing traveling opportunities and employment possibilities. Great benefits and family ethics.
Overall good experience
LOGISTICS SPECIALIST US NAVY (Former Employee), GuamJuly 6, 2015
Typical work day was Monday though Saturday 6:30am to 6:00pm. I learned how to deal with difficult people and insane expectations. Co-workers were almost always nice to work with. I'd have to say the hardest part of my job was dealing with the upper chain of command's requests. The most enjoyable part of my last job was being in Guam.
Great to be of Service to our nation
DK III (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJuly 6, 2015
* Typical work day at sea. Roll call, report to duty station
* What I learned: Honor, Respect and Love for country
* Management was excellent
* Co-workers were supportive of one another
* Hardest part of the job is working sometimes without enough rest
* The most enjoyable part is the pride to serve our nation
Exciting, challenging environment
Staff Planning Officer (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLJuly 6, 2015
Pros: Great leadership opportunities.
Cons: Not very conducive to family life (very mobile)
The U.S. Navy (Surface Warfare environment) was the ultimate challenge to develop leadership skills. Having participated in both major conflicts in the Middle East, leadership and decision making was a matter of life and death. Additionally, very strong camaraderie with personnel at all levels in the chain of command was present at all times.
Great organization focused on improving personnel
Administrative Office Manager (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLJuly 6, 2015
Pros: Excellent advancement opportunities, medical benefits.
Cons: Long hours during high tempo operations
My experience as a Sailor was a positive one. The reason I separated was to be with my children. Advancement is based on personal motivation. Most of the offices I worked in were happy environments. The Navy, like any occupation, is determined by the people in it. Out of nine years, I only had one supervisor that was a disappointment as a manager and a mentor. I was given opportunities to see many countries and live overseas. The hardest part is leaving your family behind.
Great travel, good pay and benefits.
Aviation Ordnanceman (Former Employee), VirginiaJuly 6, 2015
Pros: Travel, amazing people.
Cons: Long hours and very hard work.
Hard work, great people, and lots of travel. If you want to see the world, the Navy is a great place. The travel was great and there are plenty of benefits available at all levels of your career.
Constant pressure, hard work and dedication
Yeoman (Human Resource/ Administration Specialist) (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 6, 2015
Pros: seeing the world, constant work, no down time and great camaradey.
Cons: busy work, no overtime pay, duty and bad galley food.
A typical day in a Navy administration office would start with compiling a muster sheet for the service members in my department, followed by printing the plan of the day for the ship. Meet with my fellow sailors to put out any information that needed to be passed along the ranks, before reporting to the navigator for my daily task as the departmental admin expert. Task list could vary depending on future events dealing with the ship's mission, correspondence and naval instructions were to be typed and or updated often. Often times i would be in charge of rewriting or editing 300 page naval instructions for the navigator or the ship's captain. being under the constant pressure and time sensitive restrains built a lot of character and it made me a committed admin professional.
very good work environment
M.A (Former Employee), great lakesJuly 6, 2015
the u.s navy was an awesome work environment to grow mentally and physically and also helped with timely and quality work.
Overall it was one of the most interesting jobs I may ever have.
Fireman Recruit (Former Employee), Great Lakes, ILJuly 6, 2015
Pros: Free insurance, Free housing
Cons: Lots of time away from your family
From the time we woke up to the time we went to bed it was constant and consistent work. Generally a normal day at work was all about getting things routine. We learned how to store our possessions properly and how to work towards the goal as a unit.
Its the Military
Corpsman (Former Employee), Bremerton, WAJuly 6, 2015
Pros: great benefits
Cons: deployments
Great Job!! if you are a self starter and can handle lots of stress like seeing the world, this is a job for you. I got to see the world on board a ship where we did a humanitarian mission in 5 different countries in 6 weeks.
Great opportunity for experiance and advancement
Machinist Mate (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 6, 2015
A typical day in the Navy for a Machinist Mate includes a lot of maintenance on milti-million dollar equipment. You are trusted with this equipment that you normally wouldn't be able to work on in the civilian world with out years of experiance. You learn quality maintenance skills, time management and leadership skills among many other assets that are benificial in the civilian sector, military and at home. The co-workers are excelent because they all signed up to do the same thing you do. Everyone seems to enjoy their job which makes it a close group of people. Some of the best friends you will meet in your life. The hardest part about the Navy is being away from home but on the reverse side the sacrifices you make will bring great rewards when the time comes for you to depart the Navy whether that is after 4 years, 20 years or 30 years.
Challenging
Electronics Technician (Former Employee), Seattle, WAJuly 6, 2015
Not much to say. Military service always has high expectations. Promotion recognition is high but certain evaluation regulations/guidelines could use some revising.

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Navy

Imagine working with the most awe-inspiring equipment and technology the world has ever seen. Making your living as a rescue swimmer – Read more

U.S. Navy Salaries