U.S. Navy
10,446 reviews

U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Physically, mentally and emotionally challenging
Interior Communications Electrician (Former Employee), Pearl Harbor, HIMay 29, 2015
Pros: Free Medical and Dental
Cons: Long deployments
The experience of working in the U.S. Navy varies for every member depending on their rate (job), rank, gender etc. There are lots of great times and experiences being a U.S. Navy Sailor, and there are a lot of trying times as well. The one thing that you may, or may not notice is how the Navy changes you for the better. The skills, camaraderie, and work ethic you build in the Navy is unparalleled and more often than not, you'll leave the Navy a better person.
Benefits
Logistics Specialist (Current Employee), Richmond VAMay 29, 2015
Great benefits, great tool for acquiring a degree. Great health insurance, most jobs are useful on the civilian side. Reservist
Great place to work.
Second Class Petty Officier (Former Employee), Bridgeton, MOMay 29, 2015
The US Navy provided me with the ability to grow within the service. To improve myself in responsibility, discipline and hard work. I feel that I am a overall better person for my experience in the US. Navy.
Career Builder
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee), Norfolk, VA + DeploymentMay 29, 2015
Pros: pay and benefits are competitive as well as on the job training everyday.
Cons: being away from family during deployment phases.
Typical day at work is early morning istantly slamed with high pace attention to details work pace ending at a normal 5-6pm interval. I learned not only mechanical and electrical aspects of two major gas turbine engines but there support systems as well. Management is crucial as there is no way a single sailor as a engineer can peform everything, team work is a must. co-workers are diverse coming from not only different states but countrys as well making the work enviroment a true melting pot of culture, attitude and personality. Hardest part of Gas Turbine Electrician Technician is hitting the books and retianing imformation that you wont use on a dail baises but when you least expect it. Most enjoyable part is one serving my country and two being able to operate 20,000 hp at a push of a button and knowing it is operating due to my attention to detial and dicipline self teaching and learning from other co-workers.
Great Place to Work
Centralized Scheduler (Current Employee), Department of the NavyMay 29, 2015
I enjoy working for the Department of Defense. I have 20 plus years of working for the government. It has been a pleasure. I look forward to continuing my career in administrative support for the Federal government.
It's not a job, it's an adventure
Logistics Specialist Night Check Supervisor (Former Employee), Guam; Lemoore, CAMay 29, 2015
Pros: Travel all across the world
Cons: Long times out to sea without a day off.
Worked as a logistics specialist and maintained several storerooms with inventory of 100% rating. Stores on-load and logistic support for submarines and aviation jets.
A plethora of knowledge, hands on training, and an all around amazing experience.
Information System Technician (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAMay 29, 2015
A typical day of work lasts longer than 12 hours. From the moment you walk in the door, the phones are ringing, there's people at the door, or emails to answer. It's never a dull moment, and there's always somebody that needs help. I usually do basic trouble shooting with units that require our help. Routing issues, taclane connections, email and messaging connectivity are a few things I have handled. I've learned so much it's almost hard to wrap my head around it. I have a basic knowledge of how computers run and how to keep them running. My patience has grown so much, because you never know who's on the other end of that phone, and they're usually very frustrated with what ever issue they're having. My co-workers are some of the greatest people I've ever met. I can easily say that they have become like family to me. We're never afraid to ask for help or to help others. It's all about getting the job done, and no question is a stupid question. I respect my supervisors as well. They've experience a lot more than I have, and are more knowledgeable in the field than myself, so I know if they're correcting me, it's for good purposes. Our goal is to get the job done efficiently, and with as much positivity as possible. The hardest part about my job, is that sometimes when a unit has an issue, the troubleshooting can take hours, maybe even your whole shift. You've got to do what you've got to do, but it definitely takes a toll on you. I've never given up on helping someone and I've never walked away, but I would be lying if I said I hadn't at least though of it, especially when the – more... issue has not been resolved after 12 hours and it's time for you to go home. The job gets done, but you're definitely fatigued by the end. The best part of my job? I get to help people all day and work with my best friends. Nothing makes me happier than walking away from a situation knowing that I made someone's day a heck of a lot easier. Plus it's so important that our units have properly working communication systems onboard. We're responsible for their safety out on the water and even docked in port. That responsibility is an honor for me to have. – less
Responsibility.
AVIATION BOATSWAINS' MATE (Former Employee), USAMay 29, 2015
Pros: Confidence builder.
Cons: Under Contract
Gives a ton of responsibility to individuals, which helps build confidence in future career opportunities. Helps individuals appreciate team work. Job atmosphere is supported by a ranking structure, yet all individuals are treated with the same amount of respect.
Lore'a
Senior Chief Sedal SK8 (Former Employee), Everett, WAMay 29, 2015
The job was in Everett Washington which was full time. The hours where 9 to 12 a week with saturdays and sundays off inport, at sea we pulled one 6 hour shift with one an a half days off including saturdays and sundays.
it is what it is
Machinist Mate- Boiler Tech (Former Employee), pearl harborMay 28, 2015
there is not a whole lot you can say about the navy that people dont already know, i think its a great decision for anybody to enlist as long as you think the military life is for you( because its definitely not for everybody)
overall good
Electronics technician/Production control manager (Former Employee), variousMay 28, 2015
Pros: teamwork advancement
Cons: family seperation
learned to work with others. pull together as a team for a common goal. hardest part was the family separations on deployment.
Great oppotunity
Aviation Administrator (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 28, 2015
Pros: Travel, and new people
Cons: micromanaging
setting up flights for the day, making sure all inspections are complete and parts are safe. checking and updating all requirements are complete before take off.
Productive and very entertaining place to work
Machinist Mate (Current Employee), San Diego, CAMay 28, 2015
I learned plenty of things to help me carry out my life into the civilian world, plenty of new friends and made long time friendships
basic training
E-3 SN (Former Employee), Great Lakes, ILMay 28, 2015
basic training

Wake up, breakfast, PT, classroom work, PT, tap.

Typical basic training experience with all the perks you'd expect.
Fast, Fun , and Exciting
Air Traffic Control Administration Manager (Former Employee), Point Mugu, CAMay 28, 2015
Pros: Health insurance Housing allowance Food allowance
Cons: Always ready at a moments notice to pick up and leace
Work Hard But play harder! I learned so much about myself throughout my Naval Career. I also met some of the most amazing people from all around the world.
Best Job I ever had
Intelligence Specialist (Former Employee), Washington dcMay 28, 2015
Pros: great benefits, got to see the world.
Cons: too much time away from family
Excellent! Most fun i have had in my life but by the time my enlistment was up i was ready to be home with my family. The people that i served with were great and so were the supervisors. its not a life that is for everyone but if you want to do it, it can be the best life there is.
Great
Personnel Specialist (Current Employee), Houston, TXMay 28, 2015
Maintaining and entering data into Enlisted Service Records; Gaining personnel to new commands, transferring personnel, preparing personnel for retirement/Fleet Reserve; Preparing all types of separations; I.D. Card issuance; Providing enlisted people with information and counseling related to Navy occupations, opportunities for general education and job training, requirements for promotion, and rights and benefits; Assisting enlisted people and their families with special problems or personal hardships; Perform counseling and interviewing personnel on a variety of matters
Top secret information job
Cryptological Technician Communications (Former Employee), The worldMay 28, 2015
I got to see the world. I worked in different countries and different scenarios. That including being out to sea. Training was excellent and I enjoyed it while I was in the navy.
Navy
Petty Officer (Former Employee), San Diego CaliforniaMay 27, 2015
The Navy was fun, it pays for your education and you get to travel for free, I learned a lot about working with ohers from all different religions, and cultures , I learned a lot about being a leader and getting along well with others.
Teamwork makes the dream work!
Aviation Boatswain Mate (Fuels) E-3 (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAMay 27, 2015
Pros: Benefits, travel, meeting new people
Cons: no set working hours, you work until the mission is complete
A typical day would consist of cleaning, maintaining, training and providing clean and safe jet fuel to different types of aircraft. The hardest part of the job is that you work in all climatic conditions, in fast-paced and often potentially hazardous environments. My co-workers understood we were there for a mission and we needed to complete it as an team so we could be a safe and productive as possible. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting that feeling at the end of the day knowing that you providing something important to keep our country safe.

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Navy

Imagine working with the most awe-inspiring equipment and technology the world has ever seen. Making your living as a rescue swimmer – Read more

U.S. Navy Salaries