U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Found 15,809 reviews matching the search
Productive workplace with excellent camaraderie.
Operations Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 31, 2017
The Navy is an excellent place to work. The people that you work along side, as well as the places you go will leave memories with you for the rest of your life.The experience gained in the Navy can be used anywhere in the world. The Navy defines leadership in all individuals. Each and every person in the military has the potential to become better than they were the day before. The hardest thing to handle with the job, however is the time spent away from home. It is expected for a sailor to spend half of their naval career out at sea; but on the opposite side of the same coin, the best part about the job is the ability to travel and see sights that not very many people get to see.
Pros
Benefits, experience, travel.
Cons
Politics
Military
Nuclear Machinist/ELT (Former Employee) –  Kings Bay Naval Submarine Support Base, GAJanuary 26, 2017
It's hard, long hours low pay, very bureaucratic. Slow to do anything unless taking money is involved. The benefits cant be beat, however it can be difficult to find time to use them depending on your chosen field. Management obviously varies from command to command, You might get to see the world or you might get stuck in a metal tube for months at a time and never see a foreign port. Being a community and family there is opportunities for fun and good times.
Pros
Healthcare, housing, food, job security
Cons
loss of personal identity, loss of free time, loss of choices, very strict
It is what you make it.
Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  Various locations inside and outside of USJanuary 18, 2017
You will never have a set schedule, you may work 40 hours straight get a 3 hour nap then work another 20+ hours. Upper management is a joke and more concerned with politics than getting a job done quickly and correctly. Your coworkers will be your family, you eat, sleep, work, etc with them every day you will become closer with them than anyone else in your life. The hardest part of the job isn't the long hours its the red tape and politics.
Pros
Decent benifits, permenant job if you dont get into trouble with the law.
Cons
Mismanagment, little to know time with family
20 years of service in the United States and around the world
Mayport Medical Clinic Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mayport, FLFebruary 21, 2017
With 20 years of naval service, I was able to see parts of the world while having positive interactions with different cultures and people. This enhanced my foundation in diversity, in not judging other people and cultures just because it was different from mine. Providing health care and services, providing relief operations to Kurdish refugees was the highlight of my career.
Pros
Health benefits, steady income, travel, advancement
Cons
Management, moving your family every 3-4 years
Motivating and inspiring career
Medical Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Beaufort, SCOctober 31, 2016
The US Navy is a wonderful career choice. It offers advancement, competitive benefits, and travel. Work typically is a 8-10 hour day with 3 different shifts (4 including 12 hour rotators). Management is very structured and disciplined as there is a neverending rank system.

Co-workers are always very polite, professional, and hard-working. Very motivational/competitive.

Struggling to balance work life/home life is the hardest part, bar-none. Being a sailor is a 24 hour job, so if you're getting deployed/called into work, you have to make it work.
Benefits
Cons
Working during off times
Good place to learn crucial skills
Quality Assurance Representative (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 21, 2017
The military in general is a good place to learn crucial transferrable skills. A typical day in the maintenance department includes checking tools, preparing for maintenance meeting, receiving priorities from maintenance control, and then carrying out assigned tasks. Tasks can vary widely depending on what platform you work on. I learned management, team building, communication, problem solving, trouble-shooting, discipline, quality assurance, and how to have an overall good work ethic. The hardest part of the job is being deployed away from your family. The most enjoyable part of the job is job security.
Pros
steady paycheck, benefits, life insurance, quality of life resources
Cons
deployment, may not have choice in job location
Great place for an 18 year old to grow up
E6/FC1 (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 28, 2016
Best job culture you'll ever find! You'll learn hard and soft skills that you'll need and use the rest of your life. Junior enlisted carry the most work load yet are treated the worst, I wouldn't recommend the military to someone over the age of 25, unless they're coming in as an Officer, assuming they're a responsible adult. The longer I was in the more I realized the military doesn't retain the best, they retain the people that can't make it in the civilian sector or the people that absolutely love the military and unfortunately the later is a significant minority. In short the military is a great starting point for a young person to acquire basic life skills, a skilled trade and a large avenue of opportunities as either a Veteran or continued military service.
Pros
Best Benefits you can find
Cons
Productive workplace and great opportunity for advancement
Aviation Machinery Mechanic Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 9, 2017
The Navy taught me the importance of punctuality, attention to detail, efficiency and working quickly under pressure. I gained discipline and the skill to work with people from various cultures and lifestyles. Management changed frequently. From that, I learned what I believe is good leadership and bad leadership. The hardest part of the job was adjusting to the workcenter culture. In a male dominated field of work, there were many biases against women being capable of excelling in this particular mechanically based job. The most enjoyable part of being in the military is that I was given the opportunity to travel to various countries outside of the United States. I was able to experience other cultures which broadened my view of the world.
Pros
Travel, benefits, life experience.
Cons
unsatisfactory work culture
Exciting Challenging with Bitter people
Purchasing Agent/Supply Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLDecember 29, 2016
I enjoyed my time in service however when I was ashore I experienced significant levels of jealousy and political deception. Many of my task I would go above and beyond to try and achieve yet discrimination and slanderous attacks would often come my way. Out of fear for my good name and hard work and strong work ethic I decided it best I retire and re-enter civilian life. Despite some of the negative issues I had great success from working with the civilians and those who did not identify me as a threat to their job security and prosperity. Overall I enjoyed my experience in the military, however, did not take kindly to intimidation and attempts of slander and undermining politics within my command.
Pros
Great working hours holiday pay and vacation time
Cons
Bitter Management and unpleasant attitude of upper management
Horrible atmosphere but great job security
NDT Inspector (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WAFebruary 3, 2017
From my experience promotions were based on buddy system or to get someone who does not do well at their job out of the way and the ones who excel at the job get held there because they get the work done right. Work life balance is non existent with a schedule that changes what shift you will be working day to day. Long hours and forced over time is a regular, but you do get time and a half for OT and shift differential. Lots of travel always on very short notice and the dates of travel change frequently, many times as you get to the air port you are called to come back and leave another day, you also typically get extended once at the temporary duty station for undetermined amounts of time. A week trip easily and regularly turns into a 2 month trip and you get no say in if that works for your home life.
Pros
Pay, benefits, job security
Cons
work life balance, promotions based on buddy system not ability
Demanding and rewarding
Nuclear Propulsion Plant Operator (Machinist Mate) (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAJanuary 27, 2017
The Navy itself is a fine place to work; it provides you with technical training, allows you to travel to different countries and experience many unique cultures, and post-Navy benefits are passable. As a propulsion plant operator, we were always under-staffed, and thus, overworked. My fellow operators and I were essentially working a full-time job while also being full-time college students. Working at any and all hours day and night, and standing watch for hours in 90-100+ steam machinery workspaces created an environment where 3-4 hours of sleep was considered normal, and it wasn't unusual to be working for 24+ hours straight. Being a propulsion plant operator was incredibly demanding, but we were rewarded with automatic advancement to Petty Officer Third Class, and the high-stress environment led to powerful bonds in our community.
Pros
Place to live, Food, Travel
Cons
High-Stress, Lack-luster benefts
Great place to make friends
Master at Arms (Former Employee) –  VirginiaDecember 29, 2016
The US navy has been a good chapter in my life. I have made many changes to my lifestyle and I have been able to use the skills for my own work. Management is not always good but it does what it does for its self. You will make friends as you start but as you make rank you will have to be something else that you will hate and lose those friends. You are replaceable, they will find someone to take your place. Advancement is not a guarantee but for the few that make friends with the management will advance. Racism is strong on all sides of the spectrum and they will conceal it and come together to hide it and tell you it doesn't exist. Remember it's not about what you want or what the navy wants it's what your current leadership wants. After all of this I would still work for the navy because there are good people that can make a good change and I want to see that.
Pros
Travel, job opportunities, benefits
Cons
Management, time off, dangerous situations that are created by the management, brown nosing
Good place to learn crucial skills
Electronics Technician (Current Employee) –  Everett, WAFebruary 6, 2017
Pros
steady paycheck, benefits, life insurance, best co-workers
Cons
Forced relocation, politics, high-stress
This job in the Navy was awesome and fun
Personnel Officer (Former Employee) –  Home ports were Charleston, SCDecember 7, 2016
I worked in the administrative and personnel offices on board ship and ashore. I did administrative and clerical duties my complete career and worked my way up to Personnel Officer before I retired. I never had a typical day because every day was different. Management and co-workers were great. The hardest part of being in the navy was long deployments and being away from my family for long periods of time, and the most enjoyable part of the job was visiting many countries and cities around the world.
Pros
The pay, good advancement opportunities, visiting different countries, and the benefits.
Cons
Long deployments, wars, and being away from my family for long periods of time.
The most amazing yet hardest experience you could imagine
Machinist Mate 3rd Class (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WANovember 15, 2016
Everyday was a different with a different challenge. Some days were easy, some 18 hour plus days where you just decide to go to sleep on the boat instead of going home. You meet amazing people and see amazing places, you work, and work, everyday. Its not easy but you learn so much from everyone and everything you do both job instruction wise and who you are. Everything varies on what command you go to, but overall the experience is worth it, even if you do butt heads with your chief. You're co-workers will become family and some of the closest people to you ever. Work hard and get through challenges as a team just to get off and not work those long nights. The Navy taught me a lot, I acquired new skills and look forward to applying them in my future job.
Pros
Steady pay, job security, benefits, free medical.
Cons
long hours, duty days, watch
Diversity of people working together to accomplish constantly changing priorities.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mayport, FLJanuary 4, 2017
Camaraderie and a sense of accomplishment are inevitable in this atmosphere. Always a challenge but at the end of the day, everyone's goal is the same. All about balance and attitude. Management varies from great to poor as in any profession as does the work and attitude of subordinates. Advancement can be a challenge due to current system. Time away from family is always the toughest part. Makes time at home more valuable.
Pros
What the military represents. Benefits. Camaraderie.
Cons
Pay. Changing priorities and resources. Time away from family.
Enviroment allows you to grow. But job is not for the weak.
Hull Maintenance Technician (E-5) (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 9, 2017
Work varies by rate, but typical work week was monday through friday (plus 24 hour duty day, which could be a saturday or sunday) 7am-4pm.

Management sucks, but the comradery you develop with the other guys is second to none. Great place to work if you don't mind the long hours and random schedule changes.
Pros
full benefits, job security, pay
Cons
upper management, sometimes treated like a child, random schedule changes.
Pay, benefits, training and travel
Recruiter,Aviation Electrician, Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 12, 2016
This day varied. It depends whether or not you were at sea or not. 12 hours shifts at sea. 7PM to 7AM 7 days a week. On shore duty 8AM to 5PM 5 days a week unless you were assigned to have duty weekend which required you to be there.
-How to work with people from different backgrounds and cultures. I was taught about having a work ethic and how to stay the course of my assignment.
-Management could be very challenging on one end depending on who was the supervisor. Each one I believe I learned some of the good and not so good things about each.
-Co workers were a diverse group from so many different parts of the country and other countries as well.
-The long hard deployments at sea. Example being away 8 months at a time.
-Travel and seeing new places and meeting different people.
Pros
Pay, benefits, training and travel.
Cons
Deployments 6months at a time away from your home port. Long hours sometimes at se
Competitive culture with excellent people to work with.
Administrative/Warehouse Clerk (Former Employee) –  Camp Lejeune, North CarolinaOctober 22, 2016
Early morning there was exercise and then on to breakfast. Given time to shower and dress for the day. Had to be present by a certain time. Tasks included taking accountability for everyone in the company. Also taking care of housing, career advancement, logistical operations, deliveries. I learned how and where to find things if I needed an answer or who to ask. I always listened to my management and was humble. Co-workers were in the same page as me and we completed all our tasks. The hardest part of the job wasn't not having a team player. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with and the sense of accomplishment.
Benefits
Cons
Short lunches
Very rewarding and challenging career
Propulsion Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego Naval Station, CADecember 28, 2016
To have the opportunity to come to work everyday, serve your country honorably and work side by side with like minded, motivated people cant be beat. Some days long hours are put in but in the end you have the personal satisfaction knowing that you have accomplished a mission and at the same time acquired valuable knowledge and experience that you can take with you and use for the rest of your life.
Pros
the Navy provides great oppurtunity for growth and advancement and excellent benefits.
Cons
time away from home is more than most careers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Navy. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4