U.S. Navy
1,231 reviews

U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Machinist Mate
Machinist Mate - Valve Repair Technician (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJuly 4, 2015
Pros: The pride of serving your country while learning a skill trade.
Cons: The sereration from family and friends.
Every day was a learning experience, from all the aspects of the Engineering field to the latest techniques of firefighting all while feeling a special pride in serving your country. The most enjoyable part of the job was finding your passion in a job and the pride of serving your country.
Unpaid Overtime
Aviation Electrician (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 4, 2015
Pros: Medical, Dental, Life, and Housing
Cons: Hours, Leadership, Medial tasks, and Exposure to chemicals
A lot of work and the pay is constant. The aircrafts are old, and equiptment is out of date. Everything is rusty, and most of my time was spent cleaning corrosion. Wiring problems had to be rewired and not just spliced. The wires run the lenght of the plane and are bundled with many other wires. Certain parts like auto pilot are to expensive to be replace and can't be repaired, bu the Maintaince Officer still expects us to fix it. The landing gear is not produced anymore. When the component fails, it isn't possible to replace it the only option is to repair it, which is complicated and time consuming. My subordinates were all 18 years old undisciplined, and tried to avoid doing work. The best part of my job was attending maintance meeting, and demonstrating my knowledge of every aircraft, and every part in the hanger. I particullary liked it when the Maintaince Oficer asked about a certain part that was urgently needed, and I got to list all the matching parts or each of the aircraft in the harger, or in storage, and weather each part has passed inspection or not.
great starting point for a solid foundation
EQUIPMENT OPERATOR / CONSTRUCTION BATTALION (Former Employee), Deerfield, ILJuly 4, 2015
The Navy forced me to grow up and take responsibility for my own life. fresh out of high school and having an idea of what I wanted to do. The Navy was a great idea for and I'm glad I made the choice.
Great place to work provided you were able to find enjoyment in your work.
AEGIS Computer Network Technician (Former Employee), Norfolk. VAJuly 4, 2015
Pros: Working on the newest technology the Navy had to offer.
Cons: Hours and Deployments
A typical day at work consisted of daily checks of the status of equipment. Maintaining and troubleshooting all of the equipment in the combat system to ensure 100% capability. Over the course of two and half years of schooling I have learned AC/DC circuits, Cisco Networking, IBM BladeCenter operations and how to fix almost every problem that has arisen. During the 2.5 years of school I was with the same group of enlisted and have excelled in interpersonal relationships and mentoring others. The hardest part of my job was the parts where I was not working on my equipment, learning and standing guard. What I found most satisfying was the constant new material that I had to learn and the depth in which I could go into said material.
The military is a great experience for everyone
Missile Technician First Class (Former Employee), Silverdale, WAJuly 3, 2015
The military builds great character and is a great job for anyone to help advance their career. They offer training and discipline and offer education benefits as well.
military
Fire Controlman (Former Employee), jacksonville, flJuly 3, 2015
its the typical military job. advancement depends on your particular field and how you perform on tests. lots of different fields to choose from.
Proud organization to be a part of
Master at Arms Seaman (MASN) (Current Employee), Charleston, SCJuly 2, 2015
I enjoy serving my country as a United States Navy Reservists. When it becomes challenging, I enjoy each challenge and take them on head first.
Productive and supportive workforce, and variety in everyday tasks
Information Systems Technician (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJuly 2, 2015
Pros: Healthcare and education enefits, camaraderie
Cons: extra working days
A typical day's work included: answering phone calls, taking care of trouble tickets, learning from those that had more experience. I learned ways to troubleshoot MS outlook, printers, and Active Directory. I also learned how to research to find answers I needed. The management was fair and gave us guidance when we needed it. My coworkers were supportive and intelligent. The hardest part of the job was working mandatory long hours to prepare for an inspection, or to stand duty, which included staying at my workplace for a full 24 hours at a time, usually as often as every six days (sometimes even more often). The extra hours were beneficial in my learning, though, and I would not have learned some information or techniques otherwise. The most enjoyable part of the job was, for me, at least, the variety of things to do. For instance, I could be studying how to solve a trouble ticket, or getting hands-on experience in fixing a keyboard video mouse issue, or walking around to inventory hardware.
GREAT!!!
Operations Specialist and Navy Recruiter (Former Employee), USAJuly 2, 2015
Pros: Everything! Benifits, Travel, Camaraderie, Schooling
Cons: Being away from home
There is no explanation for what the US NAVY has done for me. Just AMAZING! A wonderful Organization. You learn just how tough you are, you learn responsibility, and you learn HONOR, COURAGE, and COMMITMENT.
Not a great working environment, people made it worth it.
Reactor Controls Division Leading Petty Officer (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 2, 2015
Pros: Healthcare, VA benefits, Housing allowence
Cons: Often worked through meals, long hours, dangerous working environment
Most days at work were filled with stress that broke people often and cost us good sailors fairly often. The motivation was not in the form that I think is productive or conducive to an efficient work environment. Most forms of enforcement were negative and lead some people to only do what is necessary to stay "under the radar". This made my job that much more difficult. Trying to motivate your friends as a leader, when all that they have learned from their time on board the sub is that leaders are only there to punish you until you do what they see necessary, is very difficult. It was a steep learning curve, however it did teach me how to not only maintain a leadership role, but also how to develop and maintain personal relationships with all of the sailors I managed.

Going underway was the most difficult thing I have ever done. I, along with 150 others, had to leave for up to 7 months at a time, the majority of which left us with no way to communicate back home. However these underways did lead to some amazing experiences. I got to see some once in a lifetime views and visit places I could never even dream of if it weren't for the Navy, so I am glad I held the position but I am also glad to be heading in a new direction.
My tour of duty was great
Aviation Structural Mechanic (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 2, 2015
Pros: travel and friends bonding
Cons: leaving
I love being in the Navy. I was in the P3 environment.
Hardest time was P3 squadrons being discontinued.
I learned how to be be a team player and to follow through with my responsibilities. I learned what dedication was and respect!!
I learned I needed others and how to reach out for help when needed. More important I learned I could be that guy whom others reached out.
I learned from the Navy I was a natural trainer
Machinist Mate is great, Cryptologic Technician is stressful
Petty Officer Second Class (Former Employee), Norfolk, VA/Fort Meade, MDJuly 2, 2015
Pros: Fairly good job security
Cons: It's the Military, you could die.
After 9 years of service I left with a bitter taste in my mouth and still would not encourage many to join the ranks of our military right now. That's not to say you should listen to me though. I learned many skills and serving set me up to be where I am today.
A Good job
Aviation Ordinancemen (Former Employee), USS Harry S TrumanJuly 2, 2015
Work as hard, but easily manageable, I learned how to improve my skills as a team player and worked hard. The chiefs were okay, but when they were upset about something they would take it out on you. My co-workers were cool, but like the chiefs they would take things out on you when they were stressed. The hardest part was working 12 hour shifts on deployment when you could not go home for 9 months and stuck sleeping in a tiny bed and was very limited on entertainment on off hours. The most enjoyable part was getting to see different countries of the world.
Great place to recieve technical training and benefits
Interior Communications Electrician (Current Employee), Norfolk, Va and JapanJuly 2, 2015
Pros: Guarnteed paycheck, experience
Cons: Long days, lots of sacrifice
It can be exactly what you make of it. It is either a starting point for your career to take off or it just something you do to pass the time. If you take advantage of what it has to offer it can be beneficial!
Military Environment
Pump Shop Manager (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJuly 2, 2015
Loved it. Job security and advancement options were always there. Continuing education was always encouraged. Medical benefits are the best part of retirement.
Amazing work experience
Machinist Mate Submarines (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Job security, Explore new things
Cons: Being gone away from family
I have learned a lot in the Navy. It has changed me for the better. I learned there are many ways to complete a task, and that you must learn to improvise sometimes to get the job done. There will not always be a clear answer on how to get the job done. I must rely on my experience, and help from others that may have more knowledge. I have learned to wok in many different situations. Also do jobs that are not always what I consider my job title. I would be required to do many different tasks especially on a submarine. Everyone needs help and when I am able to provide help to others I do my best. While also getting my own tasking done for the day or week.
Exceeded expectations
Air Traffic Controller (Former Employee), Whidbey Island, WAJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Leadership, Opportunities galore
I'm extremely grateful for the valuable lessons I learned while in the Navy. I was provided with a great trade that I fell in love with. I met remarkable people, and the benefits are second to none. I loved my time in the Navy, wouldn't change any of it.
It's the Navy
Intelligence Specialist Petty Officer 1st Class (Current Employee), UNLOCJuly 1, 2015
Pros: training, opportunities, awards
Cons: seperation from family, administrative processes are lazy
Challenging workplace, only easy if you let it. Intelligence careers in the Navy are truly superior to any other branch in my opinion, and I've spent a vast amount of my career working in the joint realm.
great traveling experiences
yeoman administrative assistant (Former Employee), yokosuka, navy base; point mugu californiaJuly 1, 2015
Pros: free food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. travelling.
Cons: when on deployment working non stop. more then 12 hours a day. no days off.
my typical day at work was very good. alot of documents i had to complete, data entry, and financial compensation changes into the database of the military personnel that owned it. i got along with a couple of co-workers. the most difficult part of the job was being on the ship working 12 hour days. the most enjoyable part of the job was traveling to other countries.
Time consuming
Fire Controlman (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 1, 2015
The military is great for some people and not so great for others. I liked it but did not like being a dual military family. It is hard on the kids and the spouses. I taught me a lot in the way of how to trouble shoot, how to respect authority more, people think a lot differently than I do. I would have to say the hardest part of it was when my husband had to leave, or when I had to leave my family.

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Navy

Imagine working with the most awe-inspiring equipment and technology the world has ever seen. Making your living as a rescue swimmer – Read more

U.S. Navy Salaries