U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Found 18,269 reviews matching the search
Good place to gain work experirence
Information Technology Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 26, 2017
My time in the Navy had it's up and down, however I can say that enjoyed the time I spent in the navy. I worked with a lot of people that help me grow as a technician, as well as help me grow in customer service. sometimes individuals do make times hard and needlessly complicated, but when you work with those around you even the hard time are bearable.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Individuals
It's not for everyone
Gas Turbine Systems Technician (Electrical) (Current Employee) –  californiaJuly 26, 2017
The navy is not for everyone, because of how it is. Its high paced, stressful, and competitive. Not everyone is cut out for that. Also, sometimes advancement is not the best.
Pros
job
Cons
contract
great place to work
Hull Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 26, 2017
Join if you can. Hard work. Great benefits. Good people. Best job you will ever have. A good attidtude and good work ethics will get you far in life. D
Pros
Compensation, benefits, lifetime friends.
Cons
Advancement can seem slow. Pick rate wisely.
Great place for a career or to get money for college
Aviation Electrician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 26, 2017
The US Navy is a great place for a career. You are able to go places and do things that you may not have been able to do otherwise. The benefits are top notch, medical, dental, GI Bill, among many others make this a great career decision.
30 year career
Electronics and Quality Assurance/Control (Former Employee) –  All of the worldJuly 26, 2017
A wonderful life filled with advancement opportunities, exciting jobs and ability to be parts of something special. Would not have traded one day for a civilian life.
Pros
Fascinating and demanding jobs
Cons
Long deployments
Never worry
Nuclear Electrician's Mate (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 26, 2017
Working in the military means you don't have to worry where your next meal is coming from, how you're going to pay for medical expenses, or even if you'll have a bed to sleep in that night. The navy takes care of you. Everyone around you gets to know you better than you might know yourself and that's a great thing to have a support system of that magnitude. All you have to do is show up at the right place, at the right time, in the right uniform, and everything else is taken care of for you.
Pros
all inclusive healthcare
Cons
long watches
Fast paced, ethusiastic crew/coworkers, lots of travel, many advancment opportunities
Culinary Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 26, 2017
The NAVY is a fast paced environment where you will learn many jobs other than you primary. Lots of travel and advancement opportunities. As a cook I was also required to learn sea warfare, ship maintenance of engines and equipment, firefighting, and many other that I didn't have a chance or was not needed. Fun crew to work with as you will meet many kinds of people from all over the world as the NAVY does recruit foreign applicants, makes for very interesting stories and cultural learning. Free travel without all the plane costs and hotel cost (unless you chose and got approved to sleep off ship) and many foreign food experiences. Best job I ever had!
Pros
Free travel, cultural learning, meeting many people the globe over, lots of job knowledge in many different areas
Cons
Stressful, multitasked, micromanaged, long hours, no overtime pay
A wonderful organization that provides a lot of training and gives you opportunities to excel in positions of increased responsibility.
Senior Chief Yeoman (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 26, 2017
The U.S. Navy is a wonderful organization that provides men and women with an opportunity learn different traits and skills that will help you gain experience in various fields.
Pros
Great training.
Cons
Arduous deployment schedules.
Great duty
Master-At-Arms First Class Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 26, 2017
Every day is different and you never know what it may bring. Working with the public is probably the best part of the job. You also get to go places and see things that most people do not get to see in their life.
Excellent Opportunity
Flight Engineer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 26, 2017
Great place to work and experience more in life than what would normally be possible to any individual. Was put through school and given great responsibility.
Saw the world right out of high school, learned invaluable skills and established lifelong relationships.
Gas Turbine Systems Technician (Mechanical) (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 26, 2017
14 of the best years of my life. Was able to see the world, while serving my country, and learning valuable life and work skills. Got a lot done during my time. I went from taking oil samples, to maintaitaining million dollar jet engines. Was also able to give back to during my time as a recruiter in my hometown.
very fun
Culinary Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kings Bay, GAJuly 26, 2017
when i was in i always traveling and going to didfferent places and having lots of fun an was always having a changing day . but no matter what happened we alaways completed the task
I loved my month in basic training im glad i went.
Seaman (Former Employee) –  Great Lakes Naval Training Center, ILJuly 26, 2017
The US Navy is the best navy in the world. If you feel like you want to join, do it! You'll be glad. They're are so many different jobs that also give you college credits for completing your schooling for your job.
Pros
Live and eat for less than civilians.
Cons
You're signing and putting your life on the line. Its not just some job.
The most month of work hours
Sonar Technician Submarines (Former Employee) –  Groton, CTJuly 26, 2017
Duty every 3-4 days with heavy loaded sea time. extreamly though advancement. Traveling the world is amazing and being on mission is exiting. Its a lot of work to be a submariner.
Productive, great morale
Petty Officer Third Class (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GAJuly 26, 2017
A typical work day started at 0730 and ended sometimes 1300 or 1700. The most enjoyable part of the job was the activities we had that included our families to boost the morale. I supervised E-4 and below .
Pros
Benefits, working hours
Service in the US Navy
IDIS, USS SAMPSON (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 26, 2017
There is never really a "typical" day in the Navy while serving on Active Duty. I learned leadership skills and personal responsibility skills during my nearly 10 year tenure on Active Duty. The most enjoyable part of the job was serving my country and making a difference.
Advocate PO3 (Former Employee) –  Santa Rita, GUJuly 26, 2017
I enjoyed the life of a sailor! I gained experience counseling and advising sailors on decision making and academic, career, personal, and financial aid issues.
Culinary Specialist
Dietary - Nutritional Cook / Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 26, 2017
My job in the U.S. Navy was usually exciting and ongoing. As a culinary specialist, I had to execute the daily food operations for the individuals on the ship both, in-port and out to sea.
Pros
Free lunches, reasonable time off
Cons
Short breaks
Great place and atmosphere
United States Navy Chief Petty Officer (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 25, 2017
The U.S. Navy offers a great amount of benefits and ample career opportunities. The pay is not bad but when you compensate it with the benefits, it is an awesome place to work at.
Benefits
Cons
Deployments
Service to our Nation
Communications Director (Current Employee) –  VirginiaJuly 25, 2017
Unparalleled career opportunities, experiences and challenges draw some of the brightest and most skilled people into the Navy – while helping others realize potential they may not have even known they had. From the high-tech to the high-growth to the awe-inspiring, America’s Navy offers careers and jobs that fit all backgrounds and interests.

There are literally hundreds of distinct professional roles in dozens of exciting fields. And whatever you do – whether as an Enlisted Sailor or Officer, serving full-time or part-time – you’ll find unrivaled training, support and experience in a career unlike any other.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Navy. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4