U.S. Navy

12.3K reviews

U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Found 11,813 reviews matching the search
long hours and days
Machinist Mate, Third Class (E4) (Former Employee) –  Groton, CTFebruary 4, 2016
I worked long hours and had few days off, I learned how to work hard and serve my country along with learning new job skills.
Fun Work Place
Crash and Salvage (Firefighter) Line Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 3, 2016
Great travel, job is never the same and the friendship made are lasting. Only for those who want to make a difference and who love this Country.
Pros
Free Travel
Cons
Long periods of time away from home
Great experiences, good people, stressful at times.
MH-60S Aircrewman/Rescue Swimmer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 3, 2016
As a rescue swimmer, my time in the Navy gave me some of the most rewarding experiences that I will certainly miss, and while the job was very stressful and physically demanding at times, the experiences and people I worked with have had a lifelong impact.

It's not without its downsides however. Command politics, repetitive training, sleep deprivation, health hazards, and potential life-threatening situations all contribute to making this a very high-stress organization, and will not fit with those who are unable to accept those risks.
Pros
Good Training, Great Experiences, Visiting Foriegn Countries, Active-Duty and Verterans Benefits
Cons
Stressful, Repetitive, Dangerous, Physically Demanding
Great Career
Command Drug and Alcohol Program Advisor (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 2, 2016
The Navy is an excellent organization providing outstanding opportunity to members looking to succeed in life. It is the perfect place to develop life skills and technical experience, all while seeing the world.
Pros
Growth opportunities
Cons
Family seperation
Excellent Experience
Field Medical Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Camp Lejeune, NCFebruary 2, 2016
United States Navy has groomed me into the man I am today. It has been a great experience. Patient Care in the Trauma Setting is my bread and butter. But I am willing to move on to other areas of medicine.
Navy was not the greatest place to work
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAFebruary 2, 2016
The Navy offered a challenging position; however, the management would move people around and let them retain their seniority without having a real job.
benefits
Cons
promotions
Great place to work!
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Port Hueneme, CAFebruary 2, 2016
Good place to learn leadership skills, get a college degree, and learn technical skills. If you work hard advancement is available fairly quickly. Many benefits!
Fun
Support Equipment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Naval Air Station Jacksonville, FLFebruary 2, 2016
Great place to work within the career field. Temporary work as it was summer camp. Overall great people to work with. Implementing camp activities was a blast. Children and parents were amazing.
Great life and learning experience.
Facilities / Program Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CaFebruary 1, 2016
Excellent place to work. Got to see the world and was given an opportunity to supervise a work center and operate a nuclear power plant in my 20's. Great life experience with great people. Has opened several doors for me since leaving.
Pros
People, advancement opportunities, training
Cons
Deployments, Travel
Sonar Technician (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 1, 2016
Always room for growth and improvement. Also a great way to gain experience in a technical field. Great way to learn discipline and team building.
Best time of my life
Aviation Machinist Mate (Former Employee) –  Lemoore, CAFebruary 1, 2016
I traveled the world, i got to keep my family and many families here at home safe, served with pride and to this day still show it. Work was hectic, long hours, always busy, never stopped learning, no time for anything other than business. I learned to admire many different cultures in and out of those in the U.S., along with many skills that to this day I still put to use. Management, for the most part was good. I did have some bad managers but the amount of good managers and what they did for you heavily outweighed those bad supervisors. My co-workers were more than just that, many became family, I still keep in contact with many of them. The hardest part of my job was being away from my family and knowing any little error could change my life or those around me. Most enjoyable part was traveling the world and getting to experience many different cultures i had no clue about.
Pros
travel, benefits, friends
Cons
away time from family, low pay
I loved working for the Navy as a civilian employee.
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Newport, RIFebruary 1, 2016
I enjoyed meeting personnel as they rotated in from different areas of the United States and from overseas. I tried to be a friend to all to help make their transition into a new area easier. I answered questions and made recommendations to whomever asked for assistance.
Pros
Meeting a lot of wonderful people and assisting to do a great job.
Cons
Had to say "Good Bye" to a lot of wonderful people as they rotated on to their next duty stations.
Awesome workplace
Supervisor, US Navy (Former Employee) –  Pearl City, HIFebruary 1, 2016
A great place to learn your rate and job field, awesome leadership, and great morale. Good interaction with civilian workers and exciting operations out to sea.
its the navy, you get what you expect
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Gulfport, MSFebruary 1, 2016
ok pay if you are married horrible management. Your going to sit around most of the day doing nothing but then someone is going to yell at you telling to to get to work but have nothing for you to do
Pros
Houing allowance
Productive workplace
Aviation Flight Deck Director (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WAFebruary 1, 2016
I enjoyed being put in fast pace situations just to get the mission complete. I also enjoyed being able to communicate with people from around the world.
It's The Navy
Sailor (Former Employee) –  Fort George G Meade, MDFebruary 1, 2016
I love The Navy and I loved serving my country for however brief a time it was. Benefits are great. It is like having a second family.
Worked as an electrician on helicopters
Aviation Electrician (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 1, 2016
Hours are terrible. As well as leadership. Everyone seems to pull together, though. Just to get the job done so we can all go home. Not a bad job, just high stress and not enough pay for what we go through.
Pros
benifits, guarenteed paycheck
Cons
high stress, poor leadership.
Overall a very wonderful experiance
Departmental Leading Chief Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 31, 2016
During my 22 Years of active duty the Navy is what you make it. I was able to use a lot of my benefits to achieve more than your average person.
Great Place to learn and excel.
Quality Assurance Inspector (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 30, 2016
I have enjoyed my time in the military, but looking for other options. Military life is difficult specially being away from your family.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
long deployments
US Navy Chief
Storekeeper and 27' & 34' Patrol Boat Coxswain U/I (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 30, 2016
There is never a typical day. That's not a bad thing as far as I'm concerned. it keeps us all on our toes. I love what I do in the Navy and wouldn't change it for anything.
Pros
When Activated: free medical, dental, lodging..etc
Cons
long hours and many times short deadlines. But it's all worth it.

4.5