U.S. Navy
10,372 reviews

U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

great environment, great travel great life
Aviation Electrician (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 22, 2015
Pros: good pay, great co-workers
Traveling the world in defense of America's freedom. This job allowed me to view the real world as I had opportunity to meet some interesting people and defuse many of the negative stereotypes about America and it's citizens. By far the most memorable years of my life.
long work days
Machinery Repairman Second Class U.S Navy (Former Employee), jacksonville, FLMay 21, 2015
Just like every other job you have your up and downs. Just more downs than ups. boss is always on your back you stay away from family for longs periods at a time its just hard for not only you but for your loved ones
Navy Job is the one that can change your life
Navy Petty Officer 2nd Class (Yeoman) (Current Employee), San Diego, CAMay 21, 2015
Pros: Benefits, Job security
Cons: Government bureaucracy
I worked in the Navy for six years, and it is the best job compared with the other job I have done before. The typcial day is begining with the morning muster, expect you are on the night watch. The first two years I am working with ENG department onboard a battleship. Every monday there will be a reasonable tasks will send to members to finish the repairing, maintenance and traning. Every action must follow certain standard and quality requirment to ensure all equipment s are under good conditiion. The following years I am transit myself as an reserve member to obtain my education goals, Navy give me a good opportunity to learn some skills such as Admin, weapons, and other skills. Since the uniform code, it is easy to recognize the management relationships and everyone is clear on their responsibility, I love the working enviorment, especially when you know you are support by the whole country. If I have to say something negative, I would say the waitting time on paperworks sometimes is too long. It is common that a team was can not begining a work, waste time on waitting a signature.
Its an adventure
Aviation Electronics Technician (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAMay 21, 2015
Pros: Free Travel
Cons: Uniforms
Lots of things to see and do. you get to travel the world for free. you get to learn a new skill . and they pay you the whole time your doing it.
Truly an example of work hard - play hard
Interior Communications Technician (Former Employee), Norfolk, VirginiaMay 21, 2015
Pros: EVERYTHING was provided - we just had to take it
Cons: You are almost literally sold to the military and as such you MUST do as instructed
Everything for a enlistee is based on the job a person selected. Some jobs did very little while in port and were extremely busy at sea, others were quite the opposite. My job was slightly more in port oriented, and did mimic a typical 7AM - 4PM civilian job.
Training in the selected job was provided free of charge and further training was an option and was highly encouraged.
The "management" was made up of Chiefs and Officers. This could be 'hit or miss'. Junior Officers typically were unfamiliar with shipboard systems and would make bizarre and inconsistent instructions. Warrant Officers were "the man", and were frequently some of the most knowledgeable and enjoyable people around. Senior Officers had assumed so many responsibilities that they were commonly preoccupied elsewhere. Chiefs (including Senior Chiefs and Master Chiefs) already KNEW the job(s) being done and typically could walk a person through a maintenance procedure by memory in addition to being a wealth of knowledge in other areas. Occasionally, there would be a exception to this standard and a highly knowledgeable yet cantankerous chief would be suffered through.
The camaraderie of the fellow sailors was easily the best part. Generally, the bonding of sailors was to the point of a sibling and as such would have its positive times and its negative times.
The hardest part of the job was the emotional toll it takes on a person (and their families). I ended my service when my enlistment was completed because I was forced to miss my daughters birth for an irrelevant (IMO) training operation out at sea.
A safe and fun environment for your child
Youth Activity Counselor (Former Employee), Dahlgren, VAMay 21, 2015
The typical day at work usually consisted of watching over the children, so that they wouldn't be hurting themselves or others. Also, there was a lot of cleaning up after the activities because they didn't want the children to get sick. The people and environment was peaceful and there was a lot of teamwork when it came to the co-workers, so it made the job so much more enjoyable.
Everything is great
Information Technology Manager (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAMay 21, 2015
typical day will be wake up, work, serve the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA! Sometimes leadership will be there not supporting you but some of them do.
productive, good pay and secured job
Chief Steward/Chief Cook positions (Former Employee), variousMay 21, 2015
Pros: constant deployments
Cons: good pay and secured job
It's not just a job but it's also an adventure. Guaranteed good pay and benefits and it is a secured job. Having a good opportunity to expand your promotion with a good people who can support to your career.
Great orginazation to train a LEADER
Chief Petty Officer (Current Employee), VariedMay 21, 2015
Pros: Seeing the world, brotherhood
Cons: Away from family for long times
I have spent 15 years affiliated with the US Navy. I am now a Chief Petty Officer and lead a Command of 25 junior personnel.
my navy carrier
Machinist Mate Third Class (Former Employee), denver, coloradoMay 21, 2015
Pros: free medical care, free meals on the ship, free dental care
Cons: long days, hard to start or maintain a relationship, poor communication bewteen departments
typically at work i worked from 7 am to 5 pm in port except for when i had a duty day and i was on duty all day i would work tell the job was done then i would stand watch sometime during the day, out at sea i would work from 7 am to 5pm and i would be on a watch rotation are typical watch rotation was 10 hours of watch 5 hours on watch and it your watch could fall in the time of the work day or after the workday, i learned how to preform a job right and what it means to put in a hard days work, i most enjoyed when we visited ports and got to see new countries, my management varied some where about getting the job done no matter how long it took, some were concerned with crew moral, my coworkers typical did there jobs and during our free time we worked on qualifications and worked out and slept,
Positive enironment with a sense of fulfillment.
Chief Petty Officer (Current Employee), Washington, DCMay 21, 2015
Pros: organization, stability, compensation, travel
Cons: work/life balance
Transitioning on June 1, 2015 after 24 years. Great organization. A place where you will learn and grow. Job brings new challenges daily that you must adapt and overcome. Believe in education, training and making leaders. Have experience, trained individual in place for on job training to help you learn and to be successful.
Great place to learn a good work ethic
Military Police Officer SUBASE NLON (Former Employee), Groton, CTMay 21, 2015
- I worked 12 hour shifts, doing water and land law enforcement patrols of the installation.
- Learned many traits, leadership, supervising, gun safety, attention to detail, mentoring, and the list goes on.
-The hardest part of the job might have been the long hours away from my family and the lack of man power to pick up the extra slack when needed.
- Meeting new people and interacting with men and women from different parts of the world was a plus side of the job. Also learning to become a better person from the things that were taught to me.
Excellent career for education
Medical Assistant / Emergency Medical Technician (Former Employee), Multiple LocationsMay 21, 2015
Pros: Prepared for success
Cons: Too much time away from home
I've personally had on-the-job training for multiple jobs other than the one I signed up for. This gave me many skills and made me more marketable outside of the service.
very diverse workplace that promotes, team work, health and physical fitness
Management/Leadership (Current Employee), Fort Dix, NJMay 20, 2015
Pros: affordable health care
Cons: relocating every 3 years
A typical day at work involves providing first class customer service to our internal and external customers. Providing training for the junior personnel and developing them for future leadership roles. The hardest part of my job is assigning every teammember in the right job where they are challenged but able to be successful and at the same fulfil the organization's mission. The most enjoyable part of my job is to see Sailors enjoy what they do and getting promoted.
responsibility and advancement
Chief Machinist Mate (E-7) (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAMay 20, 2015
Pros: meeting new people and travel
Cons: N/A
improved management skills and advanced training. Enjoyed meeting new people and places during my 23 years of enlisted service.
Productive and leadership building environment.
Logistics Specialist (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVMay 20, 2015
Pros: Great job prospects and opportunities.
Cons: time away from family
My 10 years of naval experience has taught me to be a leader, to learn to organize my time better and how to make the most of any stressful, bad situation.
Great learning expirence
Seaman Recruit (Former Employee), Great Lakes, ILMay 20, 2015
you learn how to handle different situations in life and its a great place to learn different job skills that you normally need a degree for and you can get paid while you go to school
Serve your Country
Welder (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAMay 20, 2015
U.S. Navy is an amazing way to start your life. You have many opportunities to fulfill your dream job. Go SEEBEES!! I've learned how to weld and got many certificates.
Great learning experience and stepping stone
Instructor (Former Employee), Groton, CTMay 20, 2015
I was able to teach new sailors out of boot camp on how to become efficient mechanics.I learned how to adapt to teach to each individuals learning style. At any given time I was in charge of over 30 students at any given time.
Overall great experience
Quartermaster, Second Class (Former Employee), Norfolk Naval Station, VAMay 20, 2015
Pros: Good builder of character, excellent benefits
Cons: Unreliable schedule, poor communication within departments
My experience while on active duty was very positive. The work environment was always challenging, which I appreciated. This job also really helped me to work very hard for my personal goals.

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Navy

Imagine working with the most awe-inspiring equipment and technology the world has ever seen. Making your living as a rescue swimmer – Read more

U.S. Navy Salaries