U.S. Navy Employee Reviews in United States

Found 13,872 reviews matching the search
My time in the navy summed up
Corpsman (Current Employee) –  Patuxent River, MDJune 24, 2016
It had its up and downs. The job was quite mundane. The chain of command was difficult to work with. I learned some basic medical skills. A typical work day started at 0630 - 0730 depending where I was stationed. I would take take care of patients until 1630 at the latest. Job task would range from checking patients in to vitals, diagnosing, toenail removal, cleaning up vomit, being a standby for a doctor, filing records, etc. The hardest part of the job was doing something that was redundant or that didn't need to be conducted. The most enjoyable part was working with people I liked.
Pros
medical, dental, and free housing, also free school
Cons
Underpaid, under appreciated, advancement was poor
Fast paced clinic with incredible supervisors
orthopedic technician (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, CAJune 24, 2016
The clinic I worked at was extremely busy. There was always something that needed to be done and due to that it made the days seem as though they passed in mere minutes. Our direct supervisors would look out for us and kept out of the chain of command as much as possible.
Pros
housing and medicare was paid for
Cons
There days without any breaks due the high number of patients
Good work environment
Aviation Machinist Mate (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJune 24, 2016
Hard work. Various tasks. The experience was great. I was able to see many different places and meet lots of people. It had goof structure and good organization.
Pros
Free food
Cons
short breaks
Honor, Courage, And Commitment
Utility (Current Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXJune 24, 2016
Being in the military can very well alter how your typical day at work at any moment. You learn a variety of things that and I can't just pin point one specific thing but my job is a UT (utilities mate HVAC & Plumbing). The military is structured on chain of command your leaders can vary at all times. The hardest part about being in the military is going to serve and being away from your loved ones. Last but not least the most enjoyable part of the job is being part of something thats about more than just you.
I was a culinary specialist.
Culinary Specialist (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJune 24, 2016
A typical day at work in the Navy was mustering (checking-in) at 7:00am and having announcements made, having our tasks of that day passed down to us, and starting cleaning stations for an hour. I have learned a wide array of thing by being in the military. I have learned first aid, basic seamanship, customer service, how to cook, hospitality, integrity, honor, courage, and how to be committed to my job and co-workers. I learned honesty, and teamwork. I learned that hard work and dedication pays off in the future. My management was also my leadership. They were by the books, they taught me everything I know, and the positive values I live by today. They taught me teamwork is what gets a job done, they taught me that everyone has a purpose and a task to make the ship run. Without one of us the job will never get finished. My co-workers taught me a lot, as well as learned a lot from me. The hardest part of the job was advancement. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting different people from all walks of life, and getting to work as a team.
Pros
The pros of this job was traveling the world.
Cons
The cons of this job was being deployed away from my family, for long periods of time.
hard working and also very layed back enviornment
Machinist Mate Third Class (Current Employee) –  Bremerton, WAJune 24, 2016
on a day to day basis, me as a machinist mate i stand 5 hours of watch a day that consists of in plant operations, and after watch i do maintenance on machinery on equipment that either broken or out of calibration.
Productive work environment.
Gunners Mate (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 24, 2016
If I could put into one word what the Navy is it would be Family. It has its ups and downs but it builds unit cohesion amongst a wide range of people. It has to be the easiest decision I have ever made in life.
Pros
Good Job benefits
Cons
Travel time is excessive
Hard but meaningfull work
Gas Turbine Electrician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 24, 2016
The work is hard but the rewards are absoulutely astounding in the long run, and the people you meet and work with may very well be lifelong friends.
Positive work environment.
Occupational Safety and Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  El Centro, CAJune 24, 2016
Arrive early, check staff attendance, and emails. Check appointment calendar and any reports due this week and next week. Begin facility inspection scheduling and status of staff inspection cycle: Scheduled, written report, reviewed by me for technical correctness. Place on 30-day follow-up due calendar.Begin my own inspection cycle, check special assignments for project review. The most difficult part of the job is the conflicting appointment schedule and interruptions. I am not a fast typist so those tasks require a bit more time and frequent interruptions in-person or over the phone or urge e-mails create a delay.
Pros
The variety of exposure to occupational hazards, opportunity to create a positive change toward Safety.
Cons
Interruptions....
Not for everyone
Combat Systems Senior Enlisted (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 23, 2016
Has its ups and downs
Management is constantly changing
Uniforms are provided
30 days paid leave per year
Not for undisciplined personnel
Pros
good benefits
Cons
Time away from family
loved it
Electrician (Former Employee) –  United StatesJune 23, 2016
love my job in the navy so much fun and adventure stayed in for 8 years wish I would have done 20 learned so much met so many friends for life
Pros
adventure
Cons
away for home for a long time
Experience of a lifetime
Night Watch Supervisor, Mobile Canteen Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lemoore, CAJune 22, 2016
You meet great people and create the best bonds with your SHIPMATES. Made a lot of great friends, experienced a lot of great culture, and learned a lot of great things. As the old Navy Dogs would say, "Choose your rate, choose your fate." The hardest part of the job is being away from your loved ones for months, sometimes years, at a time. Management was real problem at times so I drove to become one and it changed a lot. The most enjoyable part was traveling the world and experiencing every cultures habits, religions, laws, traditions, and values. These experiences teach you lifelong lessons and helped me to have a greater respect for all people and enhanced my service to all customers I encounter. Overall, a great experience.
Pros
Gained great skills
Cons
Very long hours and no overtime.
Reap what you sow
Construction Electrician 2nd Class (Current Employee) –  EarthJune 22, 2016
Hard work long hours, but you get what you put in, not for some one to just sail through, wont last long, and will get very little if any out of it. If your a go geter, goal driven, and want to put in the hard work, you can make a lot of it.
Helicopter Engine Mechanic
JET ENGINE MECHANIC (Former Employee) –  Great Lakes, ILJune 22, 2016
During my time in service I worked with other mechanics to ensure military aircraft were fit for service

I was challenged with learning proper procedures and went to school to learn the specifics of the aircraft I was assigned to fix.
Pros
Challening for myself
Cons
Was unable to cntied due to famly obligations
US Military Veteran
Quality Assurance Representative (Former Employee) –  Lemoore, CAJune 22, 2016
Great experience, however seems to be lacking strong leadership and knowledge. Recommend for all persons out of high school.
US Navy
Culinary Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brunswick, MEJune 22, 2016
Great work and life balance. Able to develop personal growth such as, team player, analytical thinking under pressure, selfless service and devotion.
Pros
Great benefits and retirement. Get to see the world.
Cons
Sometimes encountered incompetent leadership.
Loved the Challenge
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 22, 2016
Typical Day was demanding and fun, always on your toes. Lots of good moral and made the day and challenges fun. Was in charge of a group of people to help them grow within the OS rate.
Very productive atmosphere. Room for advancement.
Training Instructor/ Apprentice Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAJune 22, 2016
A wonderful place to work. I've gained experience in various trades and disciplines. There is room for advancement for employees who work hard and learn their trades.
Pros
Advancement opportunities. Benefits. Job security.
Trains and teaches
Quality Assurance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 21, 2016
The military teaches you the qualities you need to be an effective leader. They also train you for every situation you may possibly encounter.
Best Experience
Aviation Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 21, 2016
As with every job there are pros and cons. Pros you get to travel all over the world, meet great people. Also you get on the job training and experience for free that otherwise would've put you out a couple hundred grand in college. Cons well you're gone for a couple months out of the year id you deploy (big IF) so you might miss the family and some holidays. Pay is great and there is always advancement opportunities which means more money.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Navy. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4