U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Found 16,190 reviews matching the search
Petty Officer Third Class AW/SW (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 22, 2017
Unparalleled career opportunities, experiences and challenges draw some of the brightest and most skilled people into the Navy – while helping others realize potential they may not have even known they had. From the high-tech to the high-growth to the awe-inspiring, America’s Navy offers careers and jobs that fit all backgrounds and interests.

There are literally hundreds of distinct professional roles in dozens of exciting fields. And whatever you do – whether as an Enlisted Sailor or Officer, serving full-time or part-time – you’ll find unrivaled training, support and experience in a career unlike any other.
great
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Oxnard, CAFebruary 23, 2017
• Supervised a crew of 30 in daily operations, including evaluation and discipline.
• Operate heavy transportation and construction equipment including, trucks, bulldozers, backhoes, graders, forklifts, cranes and asphalt equipment.
• Roll off driver performing minor maintenance on equipment to ensure safe, efficient operation.
• Preparing operational reports on equipment and Monitored ordering parts.
Operating a wide variety of heavy-duty, self-propelled construction equipment for projects including, building construction, roadway construction, pier construction, grading and excavation
Unique is one way to call service life
Mass Communication Specialist (Former Employee) –  United StatesMarch 9, 2017
As the title says, military life is unique, especially the Navy. The rich culture, the traditions, the shenanigans, all good times as far as I was concerned.

The only reason I gave the rating I did was because, even though I enjoyed life at sea and visiting all the ports I did, there were those in charge who sought to make my time at work as miserable for me and my shipmates simply because they could.

I encourage anyone wanting to explore the world and cultivate a healthy respect for order and discipline to give it a try. Just remember this simple phrase before you sign the dotted line: "Chose your rate, choose your fate."
It's not just a job but a lifestyle
Office Manager/Leading Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  Camp Lejeune, NCMarch 11, 2017
The Navy is not for everyone. There is a culture, mentality, and lifestyle that is specific to the Navy. The times can be rough because there can be long periods of separation from family and friends, but it can be rewarding if you fit the lifestyle. Finding balance between work and life can be difficult, but it can be done with help and support, whether from friends, family, or support organizations specifically designed for service members.
I learned a lot from the military about how to work with others.
Utility Person (Former Employee) –  The Bronx, NYMarch 20, 2017
I learned a lot about teamwork in the military. I also learned a lot about heating, air conditioning, plumbing and water treatment. A typical day at work, during deployment, involved me checking the plumbing in the restrooms on base and fixing any problems, then taking out the trash, then helping to work on the saw-huts. The hardest part of my job was some of the physical demands it require. The most enjoyable part of my job was the camaraderie I formed with my fellow Navy members.
You know what you sign up for
Engineering Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Groton, CTMarch 10, 2017
Benefits were great, that's about all the good I've got for this. I was a submariner so here we go: ridiculously high op tempo with very little in port time while inport routinely stuck at work until 2000 so all work and very little play. leadership all act like children. i had less drama in high school. I learned that you can do anything you set out to do but also that everyone is trying to get a leg up so watch your back or you'll be used for someone else's gain. quite possibly the worst culture imaginable full of hazing and degradation of new people simply because they're new. overall glad i did it but would never do it again.
benefits
Cons
everything else
Excellent career
Yeoman (Administrative Assistant) (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaMarch 7, 2017
The Navy helped me learn so much, it took the time to train and prepare me for life in general. Because of the Navy I have attained more knowledge, skills, and wisdom to pursue anything else I want in life. The travel and deployments are hectic but they build strength and character. Take advantage of the opportunity to join the Navy today. You will not regret it.
Pros
Awesome benefits, incentives and pay.
Cons
They own you: "Governement Property". This is not a Con unless you dislike authority.
An amazing journey
Personnel Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 10, 2017
Being in the military was a great experience. Sometimes when I look back it felt like a four year cruise. A typical day consisted of the same routine. Our days were very similar each week. The culture was strict at sometimes and laid back when we did not have to be so serious. I had a lot of fun on and off work. The hardest part about being in the Navy would definitely be leaving my family for almost a year at a time. The most enjoyable part of being in the military is the respect and praise that civilians gave us when we were in uniform. It made me feel proud to serve my country.
Productive and Professional environment
Medical Assistant Technician (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAFebruary 28, 2017
A typical day would be filled with meetings, stock, clean up and training. I learned to manage and lead Sailors. The culture of the Navy is extremely diverse and there are a lot of moving parts. Complacency is not apart of the culture. The hardest part is adapting to change and the most enjoyable part is the fact that if you don't love or like something, you can rest assured that it will change.
Pros
Healthcare benefits
A long time ago but it was a good job
Electricians Mate EM3 (Former Employee) –  Scotland and FloridaFebruary 28, 2017
I was an Electricians Mate and was stationed in Scotland on my first boat then Florida where I finished out my four years. I was young and it was exciting to get out of the country for my first time. I had a good time meeting new people and cultures. I was working on a ship that had nuclear submarines tied up on the outboard sides when they came in for both scheduled and unscheduled maintenance and that was very cool. I did not get to go into them very often but did get a chance to go onboard the Nautilus when she came by for a short stay, I liked it but missed home and wanted to get back to start my career with a new company.
Pros
Travelling around the world
Cons
Not too many I can think of
An experience of a Lifetime
Senior-level Manager/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MSFebruary 28, 2017
My experience with the Navy is one that I will never forget. If you are looking for a life of traveling and serving your country then the Navy is for you. I enjoyed majority of the different commands I worked at, however the great thing about the Navy is that your only at a duty station for about 3-4 years and then you move to another one. So if your boss sucks then you only have to deal with them for a couple of years and your gone or they leave. It's a double-edge sword because you meet a lot of great people that you have to leave behind as well.
Pros
Tuition Assistance, Medical and Dental Benefits, Traveling
Cons
Time away from Family
Gained a lot of life experience and it was well worth the sacrifice.
Electronic Technician (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 16, 2017
I was in the US Navy for six years and gained valuable life skills that a lot of people my age lack. I was put in a supervisory role at a very young age, and it helped me to grow into the well rounded person I am today. The reason I decided to pursue something besides a career in the US Navy was because I wanted to be closer to my family, and be able to be here for them should anything go wrong. I have an honorable discharge and go to MSU.
Pros
life experience, travel
Cons
always away from home
Productive workplace. Learn how to follow a chain of command and respect the rules and regulations of the United States Military.
E-3 Seaman (Former Employee) –  Coronado, CAFebruary 22, 2017
A typical day at work is usually and easy day if everyone is on the same page and acting as a team. I have learned that there is reason for such strict discipline and following rules and keeping a military bearing is essential to the success of the military. The most enjoyable part of the job is finishing a long day and knowing what you've done served a bigger purpose.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Short breaks, healthcare
Work environment was extreme and tough but very rewarding in the end.
Gunner's Mate 2nd Class (VLS Technician) (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 22, 2017
I learned to be able to handle any task at any time, no matter how difficult it was. There was no time for error or to take too much time to think. Always have to think on your feet. I was in charge of millions upon millions of dollars of equipment and attention to detail was key. The hardest part of my job in the Navy was being away from home for long periods of time. The most enjoyable part of my job was traveling and visiting various countries.
proud to serve my country and be submerged in the military aviation field
Aviation Machinist Mate (Former Employee) –  China Lake, CAFebruary 20, 2017
once again another classified job involving secret clearance and classified information. Great coworkers and a lot of diversity and ethnic backgrounds to appreciate. Management was always changing but always mission minded and professional. Hardest part of the job was long extensive work days. Most enjoyable part of this job was performing flight line maintenance and operations involving F/A 18's!!!
Pros
benefits, housing, travel, type of work
Cons
long extensive hours
Superb travel, excellent benefits both short and long term, excellent learning environment
U S Navy Safety Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 21, 2017
20 years of military service with many deployments, and experiences. I have seen many different countries and was able to experience the local culture while visiting these countries. Highly detailed training and attention to detail which provide me with the focus on quality not quantity.
Pros
As mentioned above
Cons
Long hours, long deployments and time away from home
20 years of service in the United States and around the world
Mayport Medical Clinic Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mayport, FLFebruary 21, 2017
With 20 years of naval service, I was able to see parts of the world while having positive interactions with different cultures and people. This enhanced my foundation in diversity, in not judging other people and cultures just because it was different from mine. Providing health care and services, providing relief operations to Kurdish refugees was the highlight of my career.
Pros
Health benefits, steady income, travel, advancement
Cons
Management, moving your family every 3-4 years
Extremely demanding, high tempo job
Nuclear Operations Instructor (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 21, 2017
The Naval Nuclear Power Program is a very intellectually demanding job that is very fast paced and demanding. It requires lots of motivation and drive to succeed and can be very rewarding if you enjoy problem solving and and working in a team environment with people from all over the country. I have made lifelong friends and am very grateful for the opportunities that it has afforded me.
Pros
Free health care
Cons
Very demanding
Amazing experience
Machinist Mate (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAFebruary 22, 2017
Deployments, oceans and education? Why not! This was one of the best times of my life. All of the 3 star ratings are purely objective. I had great chiefs and terrible ones, I had some trouble seeing family at times (this was the terrible chief), you sign a contract so job security is a bonus but advancing was near impossible due to my rate (Machinist Mate) and I was unable to change it. If I could do it again, I would. Just great.
Pros
The overall experience.
Cons
The kids straight out of high school.
Lots of experience gained
Logistics Specialist, Second Class Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  Lemoore Naval Air Station, CAFebruary 24, 2017
Being in the navy was the most productive and enlightening experience I ever had. I learned how to work hard and study harder. My time there shaped me for the student that I am now and the nurse that I will be in the near future. I was a Logistics Specialist and I worked mostly in a "store" or an office, but sometimes I was out driving a forklift, receiving material and supplies. All in all, it was an experience I would not have been able to have anywhere else.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Navy. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4