U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Found 14,408 reviews matching the search
Excellent opportunities for education, travel, advancement
System Administrator/ Career Counselor (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 28, 2016
Teamwork, education, mission-oriented, attention to detail, health, taking care of your co-workers, taking care of your family and yourself...it all plays a part if the big picture. It's all part of the puzzle and if one piece of the machine is missing or isn't working properly, it doesn't operate at it's greatest potential.
Pros
endless possibility of education, travel and advancement
Cons
politics
Outstanding place to work and offers a great opportunity for growth
Registered Dental Hygienist (Former Employee) –  Yokosuka, Japan, Bethesda Maryland, Norfolk, VASeptember 29, 2016
This place is the best place to work, the culture is very diverse wherein I have learned a lot on how to adapt to different types of personality. The workload can be overwhelming but with the right people with the right skills everything is breeze. I have enjoyed my years of working for this company especially when going out to different countries for medical and dental missions.
Pros
Opportunity to go to school while in active duty
Cons
Being away from family
Great first hand experience for electronics and different devices
Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VASeptember 14, 2016
In the mornings we take attendance, engage in physical fitness activities, and acquire information needed for the day before beginning our duties. Supervisors are informed of progress and accomplishments at the end of the day, There is continuous learning of electronic devices and network issues that arise with computers. Management is supportive and co-workers are team players. Troubleshooting and problem solving is the hardest part of the job; however, when you are able to resolve the problem it is extremely gratifying.
Pros
Travel, on the job training, and great benefits
Cons
Away from family when deployed.
Wonderful experience
Enginemen Petty Officer Third Class (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 9, 2016
Work days varied by assignment, enjoyed working with other sailors from all of the country/world. the hardest part of my job was having to stay up fro multiple days working on problem out to sea, but still had fun doing it, knowing I was doing it for a good purpose to protect our wonderful country and way of life in the United States. I had wonderful supervisors. and I learned a lot during my time on the ship, such as fixing pumps, replacing major engine components, maintaining our diesel generators and other aux equipment.
Great Experience
Boatswains mate 2nd Class Petty Officer - Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 28, 2016
Im grateful for my opportunity to work for the military. It has taught me so many great things and prepared me to take the next step in life. Between seeing the world and working with the most diverse group of people you can think of it really has taught me how to handle a large number of different scenarios. It has made me patient, a hard worker, leader, and public speaker. I wouldn't trade my experience for anything.
Pros
Travel, Health Insurance, School
Cons
Away from family
Good life/ real world experience
Quartermaster (Former Employee) –  San Diego Naval BaseSeptember 29, 2016
The navy gave me structure and integrity. I learned time management and how to work under pressure. I traveled to different parts of the world during deployment. I learned what it is to be a team and how to be a leader. The navy helped to make me the person I am today. In glad I joined and served my country, but I'm looking forward to being back in the civilian sector.
Pros
Travel, education benefits, job security.
Cons
Long and hard hours and work will always come before your family.
Navy Medicine was great!
Fitness Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 10, 2016
Working within the Naval hospital was great. It was like being part of a big family and when someone needs assistance, it can be found.
The spirit of cooperation and respect is there on a general level. There may be a few individual cases where respect isnt shown, but on the whole, it is a great place.
I am thankful for the 15 years I had at NMCSD!
Pros
Great relationships, spirit of cooperation, nice compound, good benefits and a great location.
Cons
Some supervisors lack supervisory skills. Stay a step ahead and you will be fine.
challenging and rewarding but stressful at times
Second Class Petty Officer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 29, 2016
Being in the military is not for everyone. this job can become very stressful. a typical work day for me starts at 4:30 am. I am a cook so I prepare over 900 meals a day also while training my co workers on the proper way of managing and maintaining the workplace. the hardest part of my job is going out to sea including deployment. its a lot of sacrifice especially when your a single parent. I would say the most rewarding part of my job is advancing to the next pay grade. its always exciting to make more money but a lot of responsibilities come with it as well.
Pros
eat as much as i wan, every other weekend off, no duty days
Cons
short breaks, stressful, waking up early
best job
In flight Safety officer (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXAugust 29, 2016
First off best work environment, learn great skills that are useful for real life situations. as a reservist i have very few set days but i can work whenever i want, so it fits perfectly in any schedule. not great compensation, but the best benefits from healthcare to house loans! as long as you do you job and work hard you don't ever have to worry about being laid off. chain of command varies but but most are great with a lot of stories and experience to share.
Great Overall
Machinist Mate (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 1, 2016
My time in the Navy had it's ups and down like many other jobs, my experience was good, I took a lot from the military. Discipline, leadership, and hands on learning. I'm separating from the military in good standing, a good conduct award, and friends I will have for life. I wish to separate to take my skills to the civilian sector for many reasons but some to note are to be able to be closer to family, and to start my own, the military has outstanding benefits and is a fantastic place for parents who are willing to support that.
Military Life
Aviation Structural Mechanic, Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 1, 2016
Get in to work and get the planes ready for flying the next day could take 8 hrs - 14+. I learned how to inspect and maintain Navy aircraft. Management could be good or bad not to much in between. Co Workers where great it was like a brotherhood we were all in the same boat and needed to keep each others spirits high. The hardest part of the job was the hours and deployments you would lose track of the day of the week from how much work you were doing. Most enjoyable part was I got to see the world litterally went around the world twice!!
Too much underway time, Management was terrible.
Gas Turbine Systems Technician (Mechanical) (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 2, 2016
The Navy was nothing like i had hope it was going to be. As an Engineer the spaces were constantly 90 degrees or hotter, if something broke you couldn't just fix it. you had to write a tag-out for it which usually took longer than the actual repair. The leadership was awful, too many chiefs and not enough Indians. The only reason i don't completely despise the Navy is because of the people Ive met that helped me get through my time in service.
Pros
steady paycheck, health and dental insurance.
Cons
where do i begin?
A whole different way of life, one that everyone should experience to learn respect.
Signalman (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VirginiaSeptember 5, 2016
Start working early, end working late. When you are out to sea, your typical work day is generally 12 to 14 hours long, then you still have a 4 hour watch after that, and there are no days off. There is no such thing as overtime, and there is no one to go crying to, cause everyone is doing the same thing. Usually, no one is complaining anyway, cause everyone is too busy to notice the time. If you do notice the time, you obviously aren't working hard enough, and are given more work to take your mind off the frivolous thoughts.
Pros
Learned respect, how to give it and how to get it
Cons
Fun and and a lot of benefits
Logistics Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 7, 2016
A lot of benefits while serving and after depending on how long you stay in. You get to travel and see the world! The higher rank you are the better the pay and the bigger the responsibilities. You meet new people of different diversities. Fun filled experience with occasional down talking. Lack of freedom due to high demand of hours causes absence in family events.
Pros
Education, travel, medical benefits, meeting new people, different experiences that provide different lessons
Cons
Time demanding, absence in family events, long hours
produtive work place
Culinary specialist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 21, 2016
Completed risk-based inspections at cafés and restaurants each week. Coordinated training schedules and filed crucial administrative paperwork. Managed receipt, storage and issue of ammunition processes. Effective decision-maker in high-pressure environments. Processed prisoners of war and captured documents. Logged and filed classified documents. Established effective working relationships with clients, government officials and media representatives.
Pros
travel
Cons
might not come back
Probably the most interesting job I had.
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 23, 2016
I served on 2 surface combatants: a 25 year old guided missile destroyer that had a hard time leaving port and a 10 year old guided missile cruiser that didn't stay in port. So my typical day ranged from cleaning living spaces to chipping paint to repainting to standing 2 six hour watches a day in a dark room staring at radar repeaters and listening to voice traffic over radio nets.
Pros
Got to travel half way around the world.
Cons
Low pay.
Outstanding work place, great people, and a very important mission.
Principal Advisor / Executive Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 19, 2016
The Navy was a great place to work the first thing that was good about the Navy was you did not have to worry about what to wear because we wore a uniform to work every day, secondly it was awesome to meet new people from different backgrounds on a daily basis, and finally it was important to ensure we completed the mission and all tasks at hand daily.
Pros
Free medical, long lunches, fraternal like organization
Cons
family separation for many months or years.
Excellent experience
Corpsman (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 21, 2016
A typical day at work would consist of getting everyone at the right place at the right time. getting al objectives for the day. Have to execute the objectives with 0 discrepancies. always on your feet being proactive and getting the future task accomplished before asked. My co-workers were amazing. they were hard chargers. Anything that was needed they accomplished. The hardest part of the job was not spending time with fam as much. The most enjoyable was the people I met and the places I've seen.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Family life
Best time of my life!!!
Engineman Third Class Petty officer/ E4 (Former Employee) –  Millington, TNSeptember 23, 2016
The good outweighs the bad. The bonuses, when you get them, are awesome. I am a plankowner of the USS McFaul DDG 74. My first command, and I am still friends with many of the enlisted from the ship on facebook. Whatever command I've been to has worked with me. A few companies in the civilian world, could stand to take notes from our military. So if you want to have more than an adventure and you want to change the world's view of Americans ( a global force for good!) Join the Navy!!!
Pros
bonuses, more than half a million of your brother and sisters in arms to get your back!!!
Cons
working weekends and holidays, but hey, it's the military.
Leadership
Hull Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Apra Harbor, GUSeptember 25, 2016
The thing that really had me get out and separate was the leadership. It was lacking knowledge and the ability to take charge of situations that could be handled a lot differently. In other situations there would be too much leadership and it would lead to multiple supervisors yelling at you for what you were told by another supervisor. Enough about that, the military is a great way to earn your gi bill and get school paid for. If you can tough it out for 4 yers then yes it's worth it.
Pros
JOB SECURITY, GI BILL, TRAVEL, PAY
Cons
LACK OF LEADERSHIP, RULES, RANKING SYSTEM

4.4