U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Found 19,432 reviews matching the search
You make your Career
Equipment Operations (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MD Gulfport, MsAugust 22, 2017
I retired after 20 years of service. It was one of the best things I could have done in my life. Meet amazing people who have become life long friends and got to travel the world.
Pros
Great health and dental care along with retirement options
Cons
Long hours and extended time away from family
Life changing experience.
Lead Anti-terrorism Training Supervisor Instructor (Current Employee) –  Naval Station NorfolkAugust 22, 2017
Typical day at work: problem solving balancing act, lots of communication with both senior and junior personnel. a work place of diverse cultures and personalities. Hardest part of the job is finding the happy place where communication is effective, productivity goals are met without micro management. the most enjoyable part of this job is being able to see the end result of the effort put in to training and preparation.
Benefits
Cons
Multiple deployments
Great place to start a career
Supervisor/Instructor (Current Employee) –  Gulfport, MSAugust 22, 2017
I enjoyed my time as a Equipment Operator with the Seabees but due to poor advancement and undesirable locations to transfer to I decided to separate.
N/a
Gauge Calibration Technician, Hydraulic (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 21, 2017
Competitive work amongst peers in divisions. Work situations vary depending on work load and equipment. Learned about Diesel engines and how to diagnose.
Plenty of Benefits
Hospitalman (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CA 95112August 21, 2017
Like all jobs it has its ups and downs. But that is the military and its unpredictable. They will train you to practice your skills. Most of the problems lies with your shipmates whether higher or lower people tend to act like children and unprofessional.
Everyday is an adventure
Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 21, 2017
You will get to travel, but you will have to work. The only thing that makes it hard is trying to balance work and life; it's very hard.You will spend a lot of time away from your family. You will miss holidays, birthdays....special occasions. It's a challenge and not many can adjust to it.
Pros
Travel, pay
Cons
life/work balance
Productive, tiring, rewarding
Navy Avaition Boatswainmate Equiment (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 21, 2017
A typical work day when we were not out to sea was cleaning our spaces and then going home. A work day out to sea was working 24/7 for extremely long hours rain or shine. Heat or cold. On your feet a lot. My favorite part of my job was the sunset and launching the jets off of the aircraft carrier. Hardest part was being away from my family.
Best time of my life
Master at Arms (Former Employee) –  Oak Harbor, WAAugust 21, 2017
I learned the most I have ever in my life about myself in my short time in the navy. It taught me how to be a man in many ways. How to be alone. How to survive. Brotherhood, and most importantly that life is short and to enjoy every second of it.
Pros
Learned a lot
Cons
tough on my body
Exciting
Last duty station served as Leading Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  VariousAugust 21, 2017
Ever changing environment lends to an exciting job. The opportunity to give back to your country and serve others is exciting and rewarding. Would recommend it to anyone.
Nice
Pay Clerk (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 21, 2017
Not that flexible on hours, the pay isn't that great management can ge ok depending on where you work. Only great thing is you get more leave than a federal job when you first start.

Want to know more about U.S. Navy?

Ask a question
My experience was excellent
Aviation Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 21, 2017
I learned many things while on active duty, and am learning even more on the reserve side. Depending on your job, you could be working like a 9-5 work day, or you could be working 12-14 hours. Everyone I worked with had my back, and I could rely on the, to help me if needed.
Great place to learn and grow!
Chief Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MSAugust 21, 2017
Absolutely enjoyed my time in the Navy. Would do it again in a heartbeat. You can't beat the training and benefits. It was a great experience overall.
Us navy it
Satellite Technician/Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Provincia di Napoli, CampaniaAugust 21, 2017
Working in the US Navy is a very rewarding experience and one of the best decisions of my life. I will say that military culture does push you to management rather quickly while I truly desired to remain technically proficient in my field. I recommend the military to all that are available to serve.
U meet a diverse community of people from all different walks of life
Construction electrician (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLAugust 21, 2017
Love the people and all the different cultures that u meet. The work is great especially when it's for the community. There are many of opportunities and many different day to day challenges
Hard
Nuclear Machinist Mate (Former Employee) –  San diegoAugust 21, 2017
Only for hard working employees. Physical labor is necessary in most ratings. Great leadership, good working environment. Must be a structured individual.
Not Just a Job...
Electrician's Mate - Nuclear (Former Employee) –  USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN-71)August 21, 2017
...it's an adventure! Seriously, though - this is being written nearly 30 years after mustering out with an honorable discharge. If you can handle the military lifestyle, there is no better place to learn a skill while being paid. Travel to places that you might never get a chance to see otherwise. Meet people from all over the U.S.

Just do your damnedest to pick a rating that has skills that transfer to civilian life - because not all of them do!
Pros
They'll take good care of you.
Cons
You will go where they send you. Period.
Life Changing
Electronics Technician First Class (Current Employee) –  Pearl Harbor, HIAugust 20, 2017
so much opportunity. you can move laterally, or upwards. youre guaranteed to get pay raises and see the world. whether active duty or reserves. the experience will build your resume handsomely.
Pros
where to begin
Cons
anybody can join, including the idiots and bad guys.
Experience
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAAugust 20, 2017
The Navy provides many different opportunities for Enlisted and Officers alike. You will have the opportunity to travel the world and meet people from all walks of life.
navy
Stevedore/Deck Hand (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAAugust 20, 2017
join the navy if you want to get away. Good for traveling depending on where you are stationed. free schooling while you are in the military as well as when you get out
Pros
travel, money, education
Cons
long hours, away from family and friends
life is an adventure!
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  everywhereAugust 20, 2017
great way to learn a skill, see the world and meet new and interesting people. no matter what your interests are, you can learn just able anything to benefit your future.
Pros
travel, steady pay
Cons
time away from family

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Navy. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4