U.S. Navy Employee Reviews in United States

Found 14,172 reviews matching the search
Interesting and everchanging work place
Assistant Manager and Clerical Asset (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WAAugust 18, 2016
Days were started early and routinely every day and we were usually in for hard work. I learned during my time in the navy that some weaknesses can be used as strengths and that I'm a much better leader than I had previously thought thus I had advanced into a management position. My co-workers were very colorful and no one was the same as the next which was nice. Though my co-workers were the most enjoyable part of the job, the hardest part of the job was being away from family.
Pros
Job security
Cons
having to live the sea life
Submarine Navigation Electronics Technician
Electronic Technician (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 3, 2016
A typical work day starts at 7:30 am. You gather together to discuss the tasks for the day. Once tasks have been delegated you start your assigned maintenance and report completion to your supervisor once finished. A day will consist of MANY maintenance projects that need to be completed before you're allowed to go home. Most nights you do not leave unitl 6 or 7pm, so expect 12+ hour days.
Pros
Good food, good people
Cons
long hours, poor management
Productive and hardworking environment to provide safety for all
Hull Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Alameda, CAAugust 15, 2016
We work together to provide safety for everyone, to serve and protect our country. All hands are needed to provide this as everyone has their own job. The hardest part of my job being an engineer would be the long workdays. We do not leave until the job is done making sure it is up to Navy standard. Although the workdays may be long and tiring, I enjoy them working closely with my shipmates and learning new things to getting work done efficiently and safe.
Productive work environment
Aviation Structural Mechanic/Plane Captain (Former Employee) –  Japan, Philippines, China Lake, NAS Lemoore, CAAugust 16, 2016
A typical day at work was sometimes easy, sometimes hard, depending on the workload. I learned to calm down and be patient with heavy workloads. The management was great! The navy functioned like a well oiled machine. My co-workers for the most part were fun and a joy to work with. The hardest part of the job was having to cope with idiots in your workspace. The most enjoyable part of the job was the peers, and how great I could work with them on the job.
Pros
Good people, good supervision, hard working peers.
Cons
Lazy people, Maintenance people who were stubborn, huge workloads.
Work and Life Experience
Culinary Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 20, 2016
In the U.S. Navy there is no ordinary day. Things can change in a heart beat. The navy consists of early mornings and late nights. The Navy gave me the skills that I have today to pursue a brighter career in the future. The management was professional and maintained a very high standard as well demanded the same. The morality of the ships crew was outstanding for the most part. everyone worked as an cohesive unit to make the work environment a conducive place to learn. the hardest part of the job was to work under high stressed environments. I really enjoyed the benefits of being a United States Sailor.
Benefits
Cons
Stress
Like no other
Seaman Sonar Technician (Former Employee) –  Groton, CTJuly 31, 2016
The United States Navy is a branch of the military that not only trains you to do your job and to defend your country, but it gives you the skills for life as well. Benefits such as paid for insurance, paid for school, an abundance of vacation time, and various skills to learn along the way. There is so much room for advancement and you cannot retire in many places with a pension in just 20 years. I would definitely recommend this branch to anyone seeking these things.
Pros
Benefits, unique career, great pay
Cons
Long periods of separation from family
Changed the course of my life.
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Various duty stationsAugust 9, 2016
I'd do it all over again without question. The days included plenty of instruction and progress. I learned a variety of skill sets and a lot about myself over the years. In regards to management, I've had inspirational leaders and some not-so-great leaders but, I learned from all of them. In the Navy, I made some friends that will last a lifetime and I think that I made some pretty good impressions myself. The hardest part of it all was and will always be leaving loved ones behind even when its for just a couple of weeks. I love the Navy and I enjoyed it all.
Great place to learn and grow.
Gunners Mate (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 2, 2016
The United States Navy is by far not an easy job. It's very fast paced, long hours and there's a lot of detailed and important work that needs to get done. One thing I can say is that it was an amazing experience despite the hard work. I grew more in those 5 years than my previous years.I learned so much about myself. My favorite thing was that I was able to work with different people from all over the place. I loved experiencing and learning about different cultures and customs.
Basic Day to Day
Admistrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tinker AFB, OKAugust 8, 2016
A typical workday consists of leading 15 Sailors in the day to day administration and customer service.

What I have learn about management is all workers are different and the challenge is to find out how to ensure everyone is successful.

My opinion about co-workers is a team oriented environment gets things done more smoother and faster.

The hardest part of the job is ensuring you are taking everyone thoughts and beliefs in consideration.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing you have a satisfied customer.
Pros
Part Time
Cons
Traveling
Not really a job but a lifestyle
Fire Control Technician (Former Employee) –  Kittery, MEAugust 14, 2016
There is no such thing as a typical day, and you belong to the navy when you sign up, but in that, you are an asset, and are taken care of, if you do your job, show up for work, and don't argue too much you don't have to worry about things like where to live, what to eat, finding another job or getting fired. I was on a submarine and they are not co-workers, they are your brothers, they are family. The hardest part is when you are at sea, you are cut off from everybody else you know, but in the end the satisfaction of being a part of something bigger makes it ALL worthwhile.
Pros
Worlds greatest navy
Cons
not much free time
Productive, strict work environment
Electrician's Mate (Former Employee) –  VariousAugust 20, 2016
It's hard to write a standard review on the military compared to a civilian company, because it's more than just a job. It's your lifestyle. People volunteer for the military and have to sign a minimum 4 year contract. You cannot get fired, and you cannot quit if you dislike it. The Navy works extremely hard and I put in a lot of hours at work. But the difference is, when you leave the ship and go home at the end of the day, you're still in the Navy. I learned a lot from the military and met some outstanding people. I loved my experience and would not change it for anything in the world.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
You have very little choice on where you live
Join the Navy
Aviation Maintenance Officer (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 28, 2016
I enlisted in 1993 and I have never regretted my decision. The recruiter told me I could "write my own ticket" in the Navy and he was right. As long as you show up to work on time and fit for duty, work hard, acquire your qualifications in a timely manner you will excel and go as far as you want to go. See the world, contribute to the defense of your country, and enjoy the many benefits of serving in the Armed Forces. Learn a Trade, see the world.
Pros
Learn a trade, see the world. Outstanding job security.
Cons
Minimum 4 year commitment may not attract some.
Military Life
Percurment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Norco, CAJuly 29, 2016
I enjoyed serving in the United States Army. I gave 10 years of my life defending the rights and freedoms of our nation, and never regretted it for a second. I began my career as an M1A1 Abrams Tank Drive, Loader, Gunner and Tank Commander. Later reclassified as a Scout, which provided me with the skills to deploy to Iraq and support the missions I received from my commanding officers. After returning from Iraq I completed my contract and decided to separate from that life.
Pros
Teamwork, Leadership, Frendship, Travel, Training, Teaching
Cons
Deployments away from family, low pay for the danger, strick structure
Challenging and Rewarding
Supervisor/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  CONUS/VariousJuly 31, 2016
The armed forces is not for everyone, however if you are undecided with what you want to do right out of high school or if you like challenges, then the service offers a great opportunity. The formal structure is beneficial for everyone. What you get out of the service is proportional to the amount of effort you put forward. Typical day...well, that depends where you are stationed and whether or not if you are underway or in port. I met a lot of people during my Naval career and I met a group of guys that I served with. I have known them for a long time and to this day they are like a second family.
Pros
See the world, camaraderie, friendship
Cons
Challenging sleep cycle
Had a great time serving our country by protecting our freedom.
First Class Electrician (Former Employee) –  VirginiaAugust 5, 2016
Its been all hard work but its all worth it because, I learned all of the skills in my line of work as an Electrician Mate.
Wòrking conditions aboard military sea vessel is not easy. Lots of hard work, dangers especially fire at sea.
Its still enjoyable working for navy because,I get to meet all kinds of individual coming from from parts of our country with diff. culture.
Pros
Get to see the world for free.
Cons
Long days at sea during deployment
Overall one of the greatest experiences i've ever had.
Aviation Boatswain's Mate Fuels (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 5, 2016
There were a lot of long days, where I worked 24 hours or more. There were a lot of months where I didn't see land at all. The management was exactly what you'd expect from the military, when one person messes up we all get punished. We would work 7 days a week for a month and a half sometimes with no day off, but with all that being said. We understood why we were working as hard as we were. It was for a greater cause than us and we were proud to do it. The reason why I left was because my rate was closed up, and no one was making rank. So I knew I had to go back to school.
Pros
Working on the flight deck was very exciting
Cons
Missing holidays
Great benefits and you'll meet a lot of new people
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Coronado, CAAugust 5, 2016
Work days were very long for my department. Learned a lot about properly performing maintenance and being an electrical operator. Also acquired quite a few leadership skills and ability to talk to a variety of people and lecture them on electrical theory, safety and maintenance practices. Hardest part of the job were the long hours and dealing with workers that didn't particularly want to be there.
Pros
Healthcare, Pay
Was a member of an Elite part of the Navy
Special Warfare Group Sea Air Land (Former Employee) –  Coronado, CAAugust 9, 2016
A typical day at work started at various times of the day or night, Due to the Secure Nature of my job any operations can not be discussed. I did however learn about the real meaning of Team Work and Politics. The management in my Unit was the finest they make and my Co Workers were irreplaceable. As far as enjoyment was concerned it was being able to come home and spend time with my loved ones
Pros
Pride in serving my Country
Cons
Bad guys and working hours
Excellent Oppurtunity to Grow and Discover Possibilities
Endoscopy Technician (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLAugust 9, 2016
After serving 5 years, I had become much more of a man than I could have expected. The Navy had taught me the importance of teamwork, comradery, and always seeking an opportunity to help those around you. Many times I was faced with difficult situations, that challenged me, and tested my knowledge and ability to make decisions in moments of stress. Each time, I had always found a lesson, something to take away. I was discharged honorably in July 2016. To this day, I reflect on my experience, and I am thankful for every moment I shared with the Armed Forces.
Pros
Challenging Assignments, Job Stability
Cons
Collateral duties often had priority over primary duties
Adventurous place to work with great opportunities to travel
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee) –  Branch, MOAugust 10, 2016
A typical day at work was operating in the general clinical and hospital settings. There were outside operations called "collaterals" that were extra duties in conjunction with doing the job that the US Navy hired you for. Overall I met people that I will know for the rest of my life and I had some really great experiences that I will always cherish. However, I grew apart from the motivation to continue service within the US Navy.
Pros
Free room and board, free travel, education benefits, growth opportunities
Cons
Incompetent management, working more than 60 hours a week with no compensation, sepration from family and friends

4.4