U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Found 15,301 reviews matching the search
Motivating and inspiring career
Medical Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Beaufort, SCOctober 31, 2016
The US Navy is a wonderful career choice. It offers advancement, competitive benefits, and travel. Work typically is a 8-10 hour day with 3 different shifts (4 including 12 hour rotators). Management is very structured and disciplined as there is a neverending rank system.

Co-workers are always very polite, professional, and hard-working. Very motivational/competitive.

Struggling to balance work life/home life is the hardest part, bar-none. Being a sailor is a 24 hour job, so if you're getting deployed/called into work, you have to make it work.
Benefits
Cons
Working during off times
Great place for an 18 year old to grow up
E6/FC1 (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 28, 2016
Best job culture you'll ever find! You'll learn hard and soft skills that you'll need and use the rest of your life. Junior enlisted carry the most work load yet are treated the worst, I wouldn't recommend the military to someone over the age of 25, unless they're coming in as an Officer, assuming they're a responsible adult. The longer I was in the more I realized the military doesn't retain the best, they retain the people that can't make it in the civilian sector or the people that absolutely love the military and unfortunately the later is a significant minority. In short the military is a great starting point for a young person to acquire basic life skills, a skilled trade and a large avenue of opportunities as either a Veteran or continued military service.
Pros
Best Benefits you can find
Cons
Decent pay and benifits, no positive reinforcement or incentive.
Information Systems Technician (Current Employee) –  USS SpruanceJanuary 13, 2017
The Navy does some things right. It doesn't matter what your race is, if you are a man or woman, gay or straight, you will be treated and payed the exact same as the person standing next to you. However, there is no balance between personal and work life. Underway time is lengthy, hours are long, you have little to no say where you will end up, management is poor, and you will find yourself not only doing your job, but everyone else's job as well. I learned a lot and gained a lot of experience in my field. But Naval life is very strenuous and I would not recommend it as a career to anyone who has worked in the civilian job market, only for those coming straight from high school or college who need direction.
Pros
Job security, equal opportunity
Cons
Long work hours, stressful, poor managment
Exciting Challenging with Bitter people
Purchasing Agent/Supply Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLDecember 29, 2016
I enjoyed my time in service however when I was ashore I experienced significant levels of jealousy and political deception. Many of my task I would go above and beyond to try and achieve yet discrimination and slanderous attacks would often come my way. Out of fear for my good name and hard work and strong work ethic I decided it best I retire and re-enter civilian life. Despite some of the negative issues I had great success from working with the civilians and those who did not identify me as a threat to their job security and prosperity. Overall I enjoyed my experience in the military, however, did not take kindly to intimidation and attempts of slander and undermining politics within my command.
Pros
Great working hours holiday pay and vacation time
Cons
Bitter Management and unpleasant attitude of upper management
Pay, benefits, training and travel
Recruiter,Aviation Electrician, Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 12, 2016
This day varied. It depends whether or not you were at sea or not. 12 hours shifts at sea. 7PM to 7AM 7 days a week. On shore duty 8AM to 5PM 5 days a week unless you were assigned to have duty weekend which required you to be there.
-How to work with people from different backgrounds and cultures. I was taught about having a work ethic and how to stay the course of my assignment.
-Management could be very challenging on one end depending on who was the supervisor. Each one I believe I learned some of the good and not so good things about each.
-Co workers were a diverse group from so many different parts of the country and other countries as well.
-The long hard deployments at sea. Example being away 8 months at a time.
-Travel and seeing new places and meeting different people.
Pros
Pay, benefits, training and travel.
Cons
Deployments 6months at a time away from your home port. Long hours sometimes at se
The most amazing yet hardest experience you could imagine
Machinist Mate 3rd Class (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WANovember 15, 2016
Everyday was a different with a different challenge. Some days were easy, some 18 hour plus days where you just decide to go to sleep on the boat instead of going home. You meet amazing people and see amazing places, you work, and work, everyday. Its not easy but you learn so much from everyone and everything you do both job instruction wise and who you are. Everything varies on what command you go to, but overall the experience is worth it, even if you do butt heads with your chief. You're co-workers will become family and some of the closest people to you ever. Work hard and get through challenges as a team just to get off and not work those long nights. The Navy taught me a lot, I acquired new skills and look forward to applying them in my future job.
Pros
Steady pay, job security, benefits, free medical.
Cons
long hours, duty days, watch
Great place to make friends
Master at Arms (Former Employee) –  VirginiaDecember 29, 2016
The US navy has been a good chapter in my life. I have made many changes to my lifestyle and I have been able to use the skills for my own work. Management is not always good but it does what it does for its self. You will make friends as you start but as you make rank you will have to be something else that you will hate and lose those friends. You are replaceable, they will find someone to take your place. Advancement is not a guarantee but for the few that make friends with the management will advance. Racism is strong on all sides of the spectrum and they will conceal it and come together to hide it and tell you it doesn't exist. Remember it's not about what you want or what the navy wants it's what your current leadership wants. After all of this I would still work for the navy because there are good people that can make a good change and I want to see that.
Pros
Travel, job opportunities, benefits
Cons
Management, time off, dangerous situations that are created by the management, brown nosing
This job in the Navy was awesome and fun
Personnel Officer (Former Employee) –  Home ports were Charleston, SCDecember 7, 2016
I worked in the administrative and personnel offices on board ship and ashore. I did administrative and clerical duties my complete career and worked my way up to Personnel Officer before I retired. I never had a typical day because every day was different. Management and co-workers were great. The hardest part of being in the navy was long deployments and being away from my family for long periods of time, and the most enjoyable part of the job was visiting many countries and cities around the world.
Pros
The pay, good advancement opportunities, visiting different countries, and the benefits.
Cons
Long deployments, wars, and being away from my family for long periods of time.
Fantastic Opportunities and Benefits.
Aircraft Structural Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 24, 2016
The Navy is a great opportunity for young adults from all walks of life. The pay is competitive and the benefits are unmatched. Work is challenging and rewarding and you learn skills and build relationships that you will keep with you for life. The Navy allows you to travel and see places all around the world and offers unparalleled opportunity to further your education for free. The hardest part about this job is you must be willing to relocate and often. The hours are unpredictable and you work in very dangerous environments all over the world. Overall this Job offers opportunities you cannot find in any other job and allows you to serve your country honorably.
Pros
30 days payed vacation, free travel, free education, full medical and dental, TPS, rapid advancement
Cons
long hours, dangerous work environment, away from family for months at a time
Competitive culture with excellent people to work with.
Administrative/Warehouse Clerk (Former Employee) –  Camp Lejeune, North CarolinaOctober 22, 2016
Early morning there was exercise and then on to breakfast. Given time to shower and dress for the day. Had to be present by a certain time. Tasks included taking accountability for everyone in the company. Also taking care of housing, career advancement, logistical operations, deliveries. I learned how and where to find things if I needed an answer or who to ask. I always listened to my management and was humble. Co-workers were in the same page as me and we completed all our tasks. The hardest part of the job wasn't not having a team player. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with and the sense of accomplishment.
Benefits
Cons
Short lunches
Working for the Navy was a grand experience I learned a lot from.
Hospital Corpsman/Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi Naval Air station, TXOctober 22, 2016
The hours were synonymous with a civilian job, which is generally a 9-5 shift. I received weekends off and holidays. I learned pharmacology, how to manage the logistics for a warehouse, how to provide security for an entire base. The hardest part of the job was standing out in the elements be it rain, sleet, or burning sun. Management ran as smoothly as you can expect working a government job. The workplace was full of diversity and everyone got along rather well. The most enjoyable part of the job was the job security and consistent paycheck.
Pros
weekends and holidays off, salary, paid leave
Cons
no call outs, mandatory relocations
Diversity of people working together to accomplish constantly changing priorities.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mayport, FLJanuary 4, 2017
Camaraderie and a sense of accomplishment are inevitable in this atmosphere. Always a challenge but at the end of the day, everyone's goal is the same. All about balance and attitude. Management varies from great to poor as in any profession as does the work and attitude of subordinates. Advancement can be a challenge due to current system. Time away from family is always the toughest part. Makes time at home more valuable.
Pros
What the military represents. Benefits. Camaraderie.
Cons
Pay. Changing priorities and resources. Time away from family.
Extremely hard work with extremely good rewards
Culinary Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 11, 2016
The navy was a very challenging job.
The management between chief and lower ranks may not have been the best, but all crew members stuck together like glue.
The work was excruciatingly tedious with hours bordering on nineteen hours a day during deployments.
It's very hard to get fired from the Navy and management is more than willing to work with mistakes.
Unfortunately this also makes it difficult to advance.
Free healthcare was great as well as the benefits received when honorably discharged.
Pros
Free lunch, housing, large paycheck, job security
Cons
long and difficult working hours
great job that lets you see the world.
FIELD MEDICAL SERVICE TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WAOctober 31, 2016
a job in the navy will help you grow as a person, by seeing the other cultures. while defending your own country/other countries. they teach you a set of skills that you will apply to your job in the navy, and later in the civillian world. hardest pat of the job is deploying away from loved ones. you gain a strong bond with your shipmates, many of whom i still speak to and live with. you meet people from all over the us and other ountries that i am proud to have served with. there are long hard days with little sleep and days that arent so bad.
Pros
health benefits and housing
Cons
long hours, uncertainty.
Great organization to work
DIVISION SENIOR CHIEF PETTY OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WANovember 8, 2016
Extremely complex organization. You learned to take responsibility and accountability seriously. You learned to manage work and family base on 12 hours shift, 7 days a week, 30 days a moth and you are at the other part of the world from your family. Management style always change upon transfer to new command, same with co workers. The hardest part of the job adjusting to totally new superiors and peers. The most enjoyable part of the job is going back home after extended period of deployments.
Pros
job security and benefits
Cons
Extremely long working hours and deployments.
Very rewarding and challenging career
Propulsion Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego Naval Station, CADecember 28, 2016
To have the opportunity to come to work everyday, serve your country honorably and work side by side with like minded, motivated people cant be beat. Some days long hours are put in but in the end you have the personal satisfaction knowing that you have accomplished a mission and at the same time acquired valuable knowledge and experience that you can take with you and use for the rest of your life.
Pros
the Navy provides great oppurtunity for growth and advancement and excellent benefits.
Cons
time away from home is more than most careers
Simple job with good chances of advancement.
Aviation Boatswain's Mate Handler (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WANovember 8, 2016
I learned to be on time, listen when being talked to about what the job for the day is, make sure the job is done correct the first time. The hardest part of my job was making sure that I didn't mess up moving an aircraft and getting someone hurt. My co-workers were of all different backgrounds and ethnicities so it was a fun environment to be in. The most enjoyable part of my job would have to of been traveling the world and getting to experience different cultures.
Pros
health benefits, free travel.
Cons
long hours, long lines, and short lunch breaks.
The military is a good way to retire young.
EKMS Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 9, 2016
Military is hard work depending on the field of study. Everyone in the service is required to coordinate and help each other. It doesn't matter what rate (job) you have, we all share in cleaning, assisting with supplies, assist with fire fighting, pulling tons of electrical cables, painting, standing quarter deck watches, and so on. Then on top of that, you still have to do your assigned job.

Your co-workers are your brothers and sisters especially when you are in close quarters with them all day and all night. So, camaraderie is inevitable. Making friends is the best part of working together.

The most enjoyable part of the job is traveling for free throughout the world and meeting different people of different cultures, backgrounds, and religion. Most people only the pictures of different countries, but the military gets to see and experience it.
Pros
Good pay, could advance fast, great benefits, and great retirement check
Cons
Long hours, leaving families most of the year, too many relocations or not enough
Really enjoyed my time in the United States Navy
Security Alert Team (SAT) Leader (Former Employee) –  Naval Station San Diego in San Diego, CaliforniaOctober 25, 2016
One of the best decision I ever made was when I joined the United States Navy. The experience and knowledge I gained while in the US Navy was simply invaluable. I would definitely trade my 20 year career in the US Navy for anything. I would highly recommend it to any young man or woman who is seeking to gained a lot of experience and knowledge to go along with meeting new people to work with and getting an education that will be mostly paid for by the US Navy.
Pros
Free health care and a steady paid salary.
Cons
Long hours in sometime abnormal conditions.
High op tempo and great advancement opportunities for those who work hard
Senior Manager and Substance Abuse Counselor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 6, 2016
I am transitioning from the Navy after 26+ years of honorable service. Form the beginning of my first tour in the early 90s I quickly figured out the way to advance steady and receive deserved recognition was to work hard at your job, stay late, take on the duties no else wants, and study for your advancement exams. If you become that go-to Sailor that the senior enlisted and officers know can get anything accomplished, you will be recognized!
Pros
Great benefits, above average salary, travel opportunities, advancement
Cons
Travel "opportunities" are not always places you want to go, redundant/unnecessary training, occasional poor leadership

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Navy. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4