U.S. Navy
10,383 reviews

U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Life Changing Experience
Builder and Small Arms Range Instructor (Former Employee), Gulfport, MSMay 22, 2015
Pros: health care, travel, pay, and camaraderie
Cons: Long hours, life or death situations, poor advancement
People were great to work for, learned many skills, and experienced cultural differences, Life changing and pleased that I was able to serve my country and do whatever they needed me to do.
GREAT OPERTUNITY FOR TRAVEL
ADMINISTRATIVE TECHNICIAN (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 22, 2015
Pros: Travel
Cons: Uniform
Met a lot of interesting people. Learned a great deal about the countries I was stationed in. Learned job skills.Attended colege on the GI Bill.
I never stopped learning and stood proud to defend my country and the people in it.
Electrician's Mate 3rd Class (Former Employee), Pascagoula, MSMay 22, 2015
Pros: Free medical and dental care.
Cons: Not alot of personal time.
A typical day aboard the U.S. Thomas S. Gates consisted of several maintenance repairs and or preventive maintenance on any electrical equipment onboard. The Navy taught me the importance of obedience as well as team work. Any team is as strong as it's weakest link. While serving onboard I have come to grasp that managers must be knowledgeable, persuasive, and understanding. My co-workers consisted of many nationalities from all walks of life. I wasn't always happy but in time I learned to seek happiness within them. We were family anytime we were underway and our survival and mission accomplishment depended solely upon teamwork. The hardest part of the job was leaving the country and loved ones I love so dearly for extended periods of time usually six months at a time. The most enjoyable part of the job was being apart of something much bigger than myself.
Professional educational developmental and progressive environment.
Information Technician Seaman (Current Employee), Naval Base NorfolkMay 22, 2015
I am a reservist in the Navy I have served for almost a year on active duty for training in which I received some of the most advanced and professional training for my rate in the navy.
The U.S. Navy was a cultural learning experience.
Communications Specialist (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 22, 2015
The interaction with different people from different places, all coming together in the service of their country, taught me tolerance and gave me a strong sense of community and belonging. It was an experience that I would not have missed.
Great experience
IT Technician (Former Employee), Virginia Beach VirginiaMay 22, 2015
The Navy was a great experience that allowed me to learn a lot about my job and also who I am as a person. The benefits were amazing.
military
Interior Communications Electrician (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 22, 2015
Pros: Travel, job security, benefits
Cons: pay
Great job for anyone pay not so great but benefits more then makes up for that. I got to see the world for free and gain a sense of pride serving my country.
rewarding career
Lead Training Officer (Former Employee), Camp Pendleton, CAMay 22, 2015
My primary job was taking care of the sick injured. When not deployed my primary job was teaching tactical care to junior personnel.
utilitiesman
utilitiesman (Current Employee), Bessemer, ALMay 22, 2015
combat training , and or contruction work or training. or general military training, traveling to work or train. completing tasks the navy asks of me.
Best Life Experience
Ship Serviceman (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAMay 22, 2015
Pros: A life changer in all aspects of life
Cons: not much personal time
weekends off, short work weeks when in port and family oriented environment. Not enough can be said about the experience gained from serving my country. Developed strong leadership qualities, verbal communication skills and how to work under intense circumstances.
Combat readyness of ship
Weapon-System Work Center Supervisor (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAMay 22, 2015
Pros: World wide travel, training program unmatched
Cons: Dictator style management
Endless hours and constant deployments, management unable to negotiate
Great travel but constant work
volunteering is an obligation contract
Patience is a lesson learned the hard way in this job, everything else in life is kids play after 20 years in the military
great environment, great travel great life
Aviation Electrician (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 22, 2015
Pros: good pay, great co-workers
Traveling the world in defense of America's freedom. This job allowed me to view the real world as I had opportunity to meet some interesting people and defuse many of the negative stereotypes about America and it's citizens. By far the most memorable years of my life.
long work days
Machinery Repairman Second Class U.S Navy (Former Employee), jacksonville, FLMay 21, 2015
Just like every other job you have your up and downs. Just more downs than ups. boss is always on your back you stay away from family for longs periods at a time its just hard for not only you but for your loved ones
Navy Job is the one that can change your life
Navy Petty Officer 2nd Class (Yeoman) (Current Employee), San Diego, CAMay 21, 2015
Pros: Benefits, Job security
Cons: Government bureaucracy
I worked in the Navy for six years, and it is the best job compared with the other job I have done before. The typcial day is begining with the morning muster, expect you are on the night watch. The first two years I am working with ENG department onboard a battleship. Every monday there will be a reasonable tasks will send to members to finish the repairing, maintenance and traning. Every action must follow certain standard and quality requirment to ensure all equipment s are under good conditiion. The following years I am transit myself as an reserve member to obtain my education goals, Navy give me a good opportunity to learn some skills such as Admin, weapons, and other skills. Since the uniform code, it is easy to recognize the management relationships and everyone is clear on their responsibility, I love the working enviorment, especially when you know you are support by the whole country. If I have to say something negative, I would say the waitting time on paperworks sometimes is too long. It is common that a team was can not begining a work, waste time on waitting a signature.
Its an adventure
Aviation Electronics Technician (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAMay 21, 2015
Pros: Free Travel
Cons: Uniforms
Lots of things to see and do. you get to travel the world for free. you get to learn a new skill . and they pay you the whole time your doing it.
Truly an example of work hard - play hard
Interior Communications Technician (Former Employee), Norfolk, VirginiaMay 21, 2015
Pros: EVERYTHING was provided - we just had to take it
Cons: You are almost literally sold to the military and as such you MUST do as instructed
Everything for a enlistee is based on the job a person selected. Some jobs did very little while in port and were extremely busy at sea, others were quite the opposite. My job was slightly more in port oriented, and did mimic a typical 7AM - 4PM civilian job.
Training in the selected job was provided free of charge and further training was an option and was highly encouraged.
The "management" was made up of Chiefs and Officers. This could be 'hit or miss'. Junior Officers typically were unfamiliar with shipboard systems and would make bizarre and inconsistent instructions. Warrant Officers were "the man", and were frequently some of the most knowledgeable and enjoyable people around. Senior Officers had assumed so many responsibilities that they were commonly preoccupied elsewhere. Chiefs (including Senior Chiefs and Master Chiefs) already KNEW the job(s) being done and typically could walk a person through a maintenance procedure by memory in addition to being a wealth of knowledge in other areas. Occasionally, there would be a exception to this standard and a highly knowledgeable yet cantankerous chief would be suffered through.
The camaraderie of the fellow sailors was easily the best part. Generally, the bonding of sailors was to the point of a sibling and as such would have its positive times and its negative times.
The hardest part of the job was the emotional toll it takes on a person (and their families). I ended my service when my enlistment was completed because I was forced to miss my daughters birth for an irrelevant (IMO) training operation out at sea.
A safe and fun environment for your child
Youth Activity Counselor (Former Employee), Dahlgren, VAMay 21, 2015
The typical day at work usually consisted of watching over the children, so that they wouldn't be hurting themselves or others. Also, there was a lot of cleaning up after the activities because they didn't want the children to get sick. The people and environment was peaceful and there was a lot of teamwork when it came to the co-workers, so it made the job so much more enjoyable.
Everything is great
Information Technology Manager (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAMay 21, 2015
typical day will be wake up, work, serve the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA! Sometimes leadership will be there not supporting you but some of them do.
productive, good pay and secured job
Chief Steward/Chief Cook positions (Former Employee), variousMay 21, 2015
Pros: constant deployments
Cons: good pay and secured job
It's not just a job but it's also an adventure. Guaranteed good pay and benefits and it is a secured job. Having a good opportunity to expand your promotion with a good people who can support to your career.
Great orginazation to train a LEADER
Chief Petty Officer (Current Employee), VariedMay 21, 2015
Pros: Seeing the world, brotherhood
Cons: Away from family for long times
I have spent 15 years affiliated with the US Navy. I am now a Chief Petty Officer and lead a Command of 25 junior personnel.

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Navy

Imagine working with the most awe-inspiring equipment and technology the world has ever seen. Making your living as a rescue swimmer – Read more

U.S. Navy Salaries