U.S. Navy Employee Reviews in United States

Found 13,325 reviews matching the search
Great job security, great people to work with.
Aviation Structural Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL, Oak Harbor, WA, Frankfort, KYApril 30, 2016
I loved this job and the only reason I left the military was due to having small children that I wanted to spend more time with. Everybody was treated with respect, and we all worked as a team.
Pros
World travel, execelent medical benefits, development of life-long friends.
Cons
Long times away from family
Seaman/ Hospital Corpsman HM3
Hospital Corpsman (Optician) (Former Employee) –  VirginiaApril 30, 2016
Served 5 years in the Navy, 22 months at Portsmouth Naval Hospital working on pediatrics. Went to "c" school in Yorktown, VA, learned to make eyeglasses.
Pros
Could get stationed anywhere you wanted to go for the most part.
Cons
Time away from family
United States Navy
Integrated Logistics Support Lead (Current Employee) –  IndianaApril 30, 2016
Working as a Navy Civilian has been a very rewarding experience. It takes dedicated, and selfless individuals who are willing to put aside their own priorities in order to serve their country.
Somewhat boring
Culinary Specialist/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bangor, WAApril 30, 2016
A typical consisted of showing up to work in the morning and following the receipt cards to make edible food. Management was horrible they only cared about making themselves look good in getting a good eval.
Great Experience
Nov 2016 Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 29, 2016
The Navy is a great place to build skills but there is a sacrifice you have to make which is your family time. It is a true test to your mental and physical health. However, you are not alone. It is a team building experience that is never forgotten.
Exciting and Productive Workplace
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 29, 2016
As an intern, the experience at the Naval Research Laboratory was fulfilling and exciting. I had the opportunity to do my own research, with excellent mentoring throughout the summer. Even that I was only an intern, I was working with topics that were relatively important for my code/division. The job culture is comfortable, and the people are very friendly and eager to help others.

On the other hand, the location is convenient and easy to arrive to without much traffic. The Naval Research Laboratory is located in the outskirts of Washington DC, and is easily accessible from the city, Maryland and even Virginia areas.
Pros
Location, Environment
US Navy
Engineering Department Leading Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mayport, FLApril 29, 2016
Being in Engineering Department in the Navy is hard work, but I learned a lot from my years in and hope to continue to use that knowledge somewhere new. I'm always willing and able to learn and can't wait to start my next adventure.
Was a place to meet lots of people.See lots of the world.
Machinist Mate 2nd Class-Shipboard Engine Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 29, 2016
I made many friends and saw many places in the world I would not have been to otherwise with typical jobs. I did 12 years and only got out because I didn't want to miss my wife and child being out to sea 6-9 months at a time.
Good training and good experience
Interior Communications Electrician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 29, 2016
A typical day involved either performing maintenance or repair on shipboard electronic/electrical systems. I learned how to repair electronic/electrical equipment. Management was fine. Co-workers were okay. The hardest part of the job was being away from my family for months at a time. The most enjoyable part of the job was returning home after being at sea for months.
Pros
Training, medical, and seeing the world
Cons
Separations from my family
Professional Analyst processing and reporting
Technical ELINT Analyst (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 29, 2016
Analytical review, processing and reporting to national level consumers. Own work space and work phone working in close proximity with experienced and knowledgeable coworkers.

Learning to work with various computer applications, databases and other software required to process and report relevant information.

Great supervisors pushing for employees to excel.

Expectation of multiple duties outside of required work.

Belonging to a team that drives you to want to do better.
It's the military
Fleet Administrator (Former Employee) –  Oak Harbor, WAApril 28, 2016
20 years of service
Got to travel the world
Hard to deal with Politics
Retirement starts immediately
Never a shortage of work
Pros
job security, retirement benefits
Cons
healthcare is not the greatest. Pay
fun place to work, people were fun to know great work environment
Jet Engine Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Naval Air Station Lemoore, CAApril 28, 2016
Everyday we would walk the flight line as a squadron to ensure no debris could damage the jets, we ensured ground safety, performed jet maintenance on aircraft and we were quick and thorough at getting aircraft back to their flying and maneuvering capabilities. I learned proper hand signals to communicate with the pilot and ground personnel, how to conduct jet repairs, corrosion treatment and prevention. The organization is well run, or shop supervisor gave us our orders and the maintenance office would give them theirs. My supervisor was effective at delegating tasks to each individual so that all necessary repairs were completed on time. The most difficult part of this job would have to be installing a new engine into the jet. It takes patience, care, strength and precision. The people I worked with were always friendly and funny and we all enjoyed ourselves.One thing I always loved was getting to sit on top of the jet with my fellow coworkers, turning the jet up on power and hearing that beast roar as you checked to make sure the problem was fixed.
Pros
workplace, income, health benefits, coworkers
Cons
long terms at sea, limits to freedom
Hard work but fun
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WAApril 27, 2016
Durring my time in the Navy I learned my strengths and weakness. A typical day was ether 4 plus hours of standing watch or breaking mp rust, painting and priming spaces to keep them up to exemplary standards. After the work was all done it was time to hit the gym or have fun with friends, we all became pretty tight knit. It was like a family away from family and more often than not, they showed me more about myself than I would have ever found out on my own. This little family that we formulated was definitely the best part of the job as well as the food we got to eat in other countries. I suppose the hardest part was having to see some people go but that's life.
Pros
Free dental/medical
Cons
Troublemakers
Machinists mate
Submarine Auxiliary Machinist Mate 3rd Class (Former Employee) –  Pearl Harbor, HIApril 27, 2016
Inport i would access what was broken or need some maintenance and proceed to take care of such jobs accordingly. i would also stand watch on duty days which sometimes required being armed up with a shotgun or 9mm pistol. As a crew we would prepared the ship to get underway and i would stand watch underway sometimes working 16 plus work hour days.
Well organize with hard working and enjoyable atmosphere.
Customer Service, Terminal Personnel (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 27, 2016
work from 0600 A.M-1000 P.M with 1 to 1 1/2 hrs break times. Develop a multi-task state of mind. When working with co-workers i've find that many of my colleagues have different work ethics, but we always come together to solve any problems with in the work place. The hardest times where when you had to work 16 or more hrs with less than 5 hrs of sleep. Sometimes when there is negativity in the work place there is always 2 or more co-workers who create positivity with sense of humor.
very challenging but great for education and a good chance to serve your country
auxiliaryman (Former Employee) –  Groton, CTApril 27, 2016
The united states navy is one of the best decisions I have ever made. The job is challenging and you spend a lot of time away from home but the navy is a good opportunity for a education and an excellent opportunity to serve your country.
Pros
Awsome bennifits
Cons
Always on the go, stressful, and long hours
Great career field, bad job choice
Corpsman (Medic) (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAApril 27, 2016
I picked a job in the military that has a very limited advancement potential. Wish I could change my job without going through new school and hassles
maybe job
Culinary Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC 20350April 27, 2016
Hour sucks, with the pay sucked. paying away too much for healthcare to worth the work and drive you do. management depends on what department you were in. some were horrible, rude people and others helped and courage others. work was not that back, it was relaxing and calm job I ever had.
Fast Paced Environment
Instructor/Work Center Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 27, 2016
From being stationed at sea for 5 years to the instructor position that I currently hold, it has been a fast paced environment with minimal down time.
Productivity
Diesel Engineman/ Quality Assurance Inspector (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 27, 2016
Productive, How to work with others to build teamwork. It's what you make it to be. The management is cordial, co-workers the same. The hardest part is being away from family for months at a time. The best part is the places you go and cultures you get to explore.

4.5