U.S. Navy
9,456 reviews

U.S. Navy Employer Reviews

Proud to Serve
Human Specialist and Security detail (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAMarch 3, 2015
Pros: health benefits, education benefits, choice of locations
Cons: deployments, long hours
The Navy leadership is capable in general. The time at sea was hard but helped me to work around anything as a civilian in any job. I sincerely enjoyed working with the wide spectrum of customers and coworkers.
Great professional development and experience
YEOMAN (ADMINISTRATIONMAN) (Former Employee), Coronado, CAMarch 3, 2015
Pros: experience, traveling, exposure to different culture
The Navy served as a great foundation for the rest of my life. I learned a lot about the world and about myself. The Navy allowed me to accomplish more than I imagined I was capable of.
The military wasn't for me
Electricians Mate (Former Employee), Bremerton, WAMarch 3, 2015
Learned a lot of valuable skills but the hardest part was the hours and the compensation. Pay was much less and co-workers were extremely difficult to work with
Learned alot
Executive Administrative to Director (Reserves) (Current Employee), Oxnard, CAMarch 3, 2015
Very proud to serve and still serve in the U.S Navy. The skills and experience I learned from them can not be replaced. Currently working in admin enviornment, which is great.
Greatly enjoyed my experience whilst in the Navy.
Intelligence Specialist (Former Employee), Norfolk, VaMarch 3, 2015
Great work environment most of the time. Good times and experience to carry with you when you move into the civilian world.
exciting and adventurous
yeoman (Former Employee), san diego caMarch 3, 2015
Pros: good food, and benefits
Cons: at some point you have to leave
the typical days starts before the sun comes up and ends when the sun goes down. you tend to get more done in a day than the other occupations get done in a week. the travel and site-seeing is breathtaking.
Long Hours and Honest work
Aviation Boatswains' Mate Electrician (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAMarch 3, 2015
A typical day in the Navy would normally be full of greasy clothes, orders, and chow. I have learned in my four years of serving my country about hydraulic engineering, steam catapults, communications, management, foreign and domestic security, along with several other secret operations. The most difficult part of the job during my tenure in the US Navy was being away from my family. Countless days and nights gone by staring in to the horizon of an ocean that seemed endless, until land became visible. The most enjoyable time in the US Navy was watching jets take off and land on to the flight deck of an Aircraft Carrier.
Very Diverse Job and Many things to do
Naval Engineer (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAMarch 3, 2015
Pros: free tour of the world
Cons: working 24 hours a day
I was on a naval ship where I was engineer. I toured the world and I met many people from different places. It allowed me to obtain many diverse skills that I will be able to use in the workforce as well as everyday life.
Secure With A Lot To Give Up
Culinary Specialist (Former Employee), Portsmouth, VAMarch 3, 2015
Pros: military benifits, discounts
Cons: time away from freinds and family, very stressful enviorment and hard on your body
In the us navy it's really no such thing as a typical work day. So fast paced that it could be a blur at times. Can't lie the challenge was very fun at times, but other days the stress could be overwhelming. A few things I learned is how to do a lot of things while being productive in a very short amount of time.

Management in the Navy can be hit or miss. You go though so many changes in a short time. You can have up to three different Leading Petty Officers in a years time depending on how each person productivity is and if somebody is transferring. Good thing about that is it taught me how to adjust to pretty much any situation.

Co-Workers are pretty much like management. So many people come and go so you really have to learn how to deal with multiple attitudes, personalities, feelings, and work ethics.

The hardest part of the job is the traveling and constant moving around. As a person who does not like to relocate, going on a deployment is pretty much the same process of relocation. Moving out of your apartment to come home and find a new place. You go though that ever couple years or less, it can get stressful and redundant.

Ironically the best part of the job is also the traveling. After the long hours and dealing with the crazy people of the stressful environment pulling into a port or getting off the plane into a new country that you have never been to is an amazing experience and feeling. Also the memories you make on deployments are second to nothing besides memories with your family.
United States Navy
aviaition structural mechanic (Former Employee), hawaiiMarch 3, 2015
Great Job get to travel and have a lot of fun. Deployments were awesome was able to make a decent amount of money. Its a great experience and you are able to learn a lot and get a lot of training.
Great expierince
Damage Controlman Third Class (Former Employee), Everett, WAMarch 3, 2015
After four years really love it had a great time went all over the world and saw many cool places while protecting our country. Anyone interested and able should definitely take advantage of the opportunity to join.
Join the Navy, see the World
Petty Officer First Class (Former Employee), Anywhere, USAMarch 2, 2015
I enjoyed my time in the military. I learned a lot and owe it to the Navy for the person that I am today. You will make life long friends and learn life long values with the Navy core values of Honor, Courage, and Commitment.
Military
Electronics Technician (Former Employee), Silverdale, WAMarch 2, 2015
Pros: Job Security
Cons: No life
Its the military man, suck it up. Do what you are told and life is easier. Clean shave, good haircut and show up on time. that's it
Great place.
Navy Production Assistant / Logistics Planner (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLMarch 2, 2015
Good benefits, training for future work related items that are required to the mission of the company. Work changes on a daily basis and that makes it exciting.
Great learning experience
Electrician (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAMarch 2, 2015
Pros: endless knowledge
Cons: away from family
Work day starts at 0600 until whenever. In the military you are on the job 24/7. The opportunity for learning and advancing is endless and completely up to the individual. One will meet people from all over the world, it opens your eyes to the difference you make in the world
LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT
Petty Officer First Class (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 2, 2015
Pros: the pay, travel, advancement, flexibility, benefits, meeting people
Cons: work-life balance
Twenty years in the Navy and I wish I could have done twenty more. Great teamwork, challenges aplenty, room for growth, diversity is off the hook, and LOTS of travel.
Great experience
Human Resource Specialist (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAMarch 2, 2015
Being in the Navy can be challenging, but it comes down to you and what you want out of it. Joining the Navy was the best decision that I have made in my life so far. I was able to become a man and a better HR professional.
A demanding, but adventure ridden career move for thoes who love a challege.
Damage Controleman/ Fireman (Current Employee), Newport, RIMarch 2, 2015
Pros: healthcare, travel, experience, career change oportunity, responsibility levels, upward momentum, cultural diversity
Cons: rapid work culture changes, advancement procedures, physical/weight standard of measurement.
I wouldn't take back a day in the US Navy! I had some extremely hard days but the payoffs were worth it. I learned a ton about myself, and how to maintain professionalism as an ambassador in numerous countries, but also in undesirable situations.
I was afforded the opportunity to manage a team of up to 15 individuals on day to day operations, 50+ during a true catastrophe.
Now I manage all aspects of a firefighting technical trainer as well as a sinking vessel simulator.
The hardest part was working up to 20hr days for up to a few months. But the most rewarding was when I was able to help someone who was less fortunate than myself, or anyone I knew...
Political
ELECTRONICS /INSTRUMENT TECHNICIAN (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 2, 2015
Pros: Traditions and people
Cons: Everything else.
The military in general has become over run with political influence and has made tradition and discipline into a joke. The leadership is more concerned with what the public thinks and what is socially acceptable rather than the mission at hand.
Stable Job, Good Benefits, Steady paycheck
US Navy (Former Employee), Groton, CTMarch 2, 2015
Pros: free meals, free housing
Cons: repetitive lifestyle, little freedom to do what you want
The Navy was one of a kind experience. I realized I will never again have that kind of job security but I also realized that I will be much happier working in a different field.

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Navy

The US Navy maintains a variety of military equipment like ballistic missile submarines, aircraft carriers, surface warships, – Read more