U.S. Navy
9,061 reviews

U.S. Navy Employer Reviews

High Recommendation
Culinary Specialist (Former Employee), Pearl Harbor, HIJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: great pay, good people, lots of benefits
Cons: a lot of hours, regularly away from home
I greatly enjoyed my time in the active duty Navy. I would happily go back if and when the time comes.
Adulthood
Electrician Mate Petty Officer Third Class (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: greatest experience in life
Cons: being away
Going into the military will make any one grow upand appreciate life. Will teach great work ethics. Gives you great benifits. Only thing bad about the military is the mental toughness you need to last. You will be teased, picked on, yelled at, praised, rewarded daily, which can take an emotion effect on you. I had a set schedual every day once I set foot into boot camp. I did my job, worked out, sleep, go on watch, and back to work. I would some times have to be on watch hours on 6 off, plus work 8-10 hrs in the shop. I've done numerous jobs in my 5 years, from putting in light bulbs, to turning the light switch on, to owning my own tool shop, to saving the ship thousands of dollars when I fixed a breaker that was not replaceable. I got to grow up and learn how to be a man and work correctly by myself and as a team. I got to be a Leader of my own shop. I had co-workers under me that I managed. I got to save lives during war time in Lebanon.
Government Contractor
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Charleston, SCJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: professional setting
Cons: temporary employment
Government contract that has ended. The contract operated on similar terms as the government making the workplace functional.
I was able to see many places in my Naval career
Admin Assistant/Office Manager/Security (Former Employee), Coronado, CAJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: i was privilaged to be part of an amazing, selfless group of people
Cons: time spent away from my family
Started at 4am with Physical Fitness
Started work at 7am
worked through most lunches until the work for that day was done.

Management on the whole was fair and balanced

I was able to meet many different people from many backgrounds and social stations

The long hours and time away from my family

The varied work experiences, all the places I was able to see, the many different people I have met!
Travel
First Lieutenant Field Crew Member (Former Employee), Norfolk, VaJanuary 26, 2015
While in the USN i have been to numerous places and enjoyed everything about the military. The relationships between other services members last a life time. I have learned how to be a better person while i was in.
five stars all the way
Avionics Technician (Former Employee), world wideJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: all the training you can handle, and then some...
Cons: the military is often subject to alot of political tampering
-trouble shoot radar, repair a faulty recorder or perform inspection/alignment on specialized detection gear. multiply this by about 5 or 6 for a typical day on deployment
-learned accuracy, attention to detail, and DO the RIGHT THING to
-Management is mission focused and therefore does what is necessary to allow me to do my job realize that mission
-hardest part was the long overseas separations
-most enjoyable part was the travel during those separations
Rewarding work
Hull Maintenance Technician (Current Employee), New Orleans, LAJanuary 26, 2015
Serving one weekend per month time flies, it allows me to have a military career as well as a civilian career.
Positive Work Environment
Student Worker (Former Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: positive work environment
Cons: limited budgets
As a Student Volunteer briefly working in the office, and then working remotely, I felt very honored to work with the RS group. As some of the top RS scientists in the country, NRL offered an opportunity for students like me to learn from the best.
N/A
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), Various LocationsJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: great benifits
Cons: horrible hours, limited off time
If you can handle being away from home for years on end, and a extremely fast paced working enviroment with a lot of stress involved, then the US Navy is right for you.
Working for the Navy was awesome!
Information Assurance Specialist (Former Employee), North Charleston, SCJanuary 26, 2015
Working as a civil servant for the DoD had excellent benefits and job security. I was involved in lots of very interesting projects and upper management let us be very self motivated.
Navy Life
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee), Bremerton, WAJanuary 26, 2015
The Navy has been great to me, however it's time to persue more avenues of my life. I have learned a great deal about leadership and management.
Business Analyst (Current Employee), Bremerton, WAJanuary 25, 2015
Pros: good benefits, flexible hours
Cons: old technology, slow to change, government bureaucracy
I enjoy work at the shipyard. It is challenging on a daily basis.
Serving aboard a United States Ship
Gunners Mate (Former Employee), USS Neosho AO 143January 25, 2015
Pros: free room and board, with meals
Cons: sea duty
My day began around 6:00 am, with breakfast followed by an all hands on deck to sweep an mop the entire vessel. Followed by the same routine each day, cleaning and maintaining the ships weapons. I learned discipline, to value time, teamwork, and to respect my fellow man. I meet and worked with people from all over the United States. The hardest part of my job was handling large ammunition, safely. The most enjoyable part of my job was watching the weapons actually fire after I worked on them.
Crisis management abounds
Shipyard Operations Management Analyst (Current Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 25, 2015
The opportunity is what you make of it but quite frankly management doesn't know whether its up or down.
Tough work but rewarding
Navy Recruiter (Former Employee), San Diego, CaJanuary 25, 2015
Helps get you out of your comfort zone. Great training in sales and marketing.
Best Time of my Life
Missile Technician (Former Employee), Chicago IL, Groton CT, Kings Bay GAJanuary 25, 2015
Pros: benefits, experience, comradery
Cons: long periods away from home
A typical day would include emergency drills, standing watch, and doing maintenance.
Most of my technical skills have come from my work.
The officers I delt with were, for the most part, easy to get along with and willing to listen to subordinate's thoughts when dealing with problems.
Most of the other sailors were easy going and fun to work with.
The hardest part was the months at sea.
The most enjoyable part was the comradery.
Great organization
Aviation Electronics Technician (Current Employee), Norfolk, VirginiaJanuary 25, 2015
Pros: too many to name
Cons: very demanding high stress enviornment
Typical work day starts bright and early, for an entry level employee it will include checking in with your supervisor and receiving daily tasking.
challenging, enjoyed troubleshooting and fixing the problem
Gas Turbine Systems Electrical (Former Employee), Norfolk, VirginaJanuary 24, 2015
Pros: 30 days vacation a year. the team work was great.
Cons: deployed an average of six months every 2 years
maintenance supervisor responsible for 3 Gas Turbine Generators and 4 Gas Turbine Engines. I learned how to prioratize jobs and schedule maintenance effectively.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Computer Engineer (Current Employee), Charleston, SCJanuary 24, 2015
Great place to work! The opportunities are endless. The most enjoyable part of the day is knowing you are making a difference.
High stress environment
GSM3, Engineroom Technician (Former Employee), Joint Base Pearl Hbr Hickam, HIJanuary 24, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: time away
Stressful, demanding work. It' s the military, it has its price. Thats why less than 1% of Americas population enlist. I learned alot of mechanical skills, the best people to work with in the world but some of the hardest people to work FOR! Hardest part of job is the time away from family.

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Navy

The US Navy maintains a variety of military equipment like ballistic missile submarines, aircraft carriers, surface warships, – Read more