U.S. Navy
10,747 reviews

U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Serving in the US Navy was best decision of my life
Engineering Training Specialist/Technician (Former Employee), Ingleside, TXJune 30, 2015
Pros: world travel and extensive training opportunities are always avail
Cons: family seperations
the military organization and the environment of being there for each other is second to none. serving our country is an honor
Great Comraderie
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJune 30, 2015
Pros: Diverse environment
It was my pleasure to work along a diverse group of individuals from all walks of life. The comraderie and selflessness of certain individuals to achieve a common goal and serve our nation under the same cloth was something pleasing to wake up to everymorning.
It was definitely a challenging career
Military Wife (Former Employee), Mayport Naval Station, FLJune 30, 2015
Pros: Benefits, being able to say that I ran the household singlehandly while my spouse was defending our country, helping the military in my own way.
Cons: The exasperation of any dysfunction in the military spouse.
If you have a healthy relationship, being a Navy wife can be very rewarding. If you are in an unhealthy relationship, your spouse being in the military only makes it more difficult.
Great Work benefits
Small arms/crew serve weapons instructor (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAJune 30, 2015
Pros: consistant pay check
Cons: politics
I was in for 6 six years, but its time to move on and do bigger and better things. Loved the job! A typical work day is from 6am to 4pm or maybe later. I learned everything about mulit million dollar weapon systems. MY co works were my management, and the most enjoyable part of my job was out on the gun range, teaching.
its the military
Electronics Technician (Former Employee), Bremerton, WAJune 30, 2015
it really all depends on what command your are at. the command will make or break you. school is great learning experience and you get to travel the world.
great place to start a career
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee), Beaufort SCJune 30, 2015
Pros: lots of travel
Cons: lots of travel
Whether you are a professional or just getting into the job scene, the U.S. Navy help to support and craft your dream career
long days, short nights and a whole lot of work.
auxiliary mechanic submarines (Former Employee), norfolk vaJune 30, 2015
Pros: an excellent learning environment
Cons: too many rules and regulations prevented too much work.
constant working environment along with long days so you have to grab your laughter where you can and try to enjoy the time you had with family when you did make it home. Otherwise it was you and the crew so when you had new guys come in you had to teach them how to assimilate and become part of the workforce which generates for many fun times as well as aggravation at a new mind trying to grasp the monstrosity that is submarine qualifications while still trying to complete work assignments. all in all a great time just not enough for family outside of work.
The Best
IT (Current Employee), Houston,TXJune 30, 2015
I absolutely love the Navy. They really know how to take care of their sailors. Enlisting into the Navy has been the best decision that I have ever made.
Fine for the first couple of years
Cryptologic Technician (Current Employee), Fort Meade, MDJune 30, 2015
As a new sailor, the job is great. As you continue your career for a few years, you realize there are better options out there.
quality life with good benefits
supervisor airframes mechanic (Current Employee), Tinker AFB, Ok, 73145June 30, 2015
enjoyed all the info learned and skills attained. had great co workers. management pushed me to better myself on a regular basis which is just what I needed. of course military has great benefits.
Working on jet engines
Jet Mechanic (Former Employee), Lemoore CA and Rota SpainJune 30, 2015
Pros: 30 days paid vacation, free meals, free place to live.
Cons: Working odd hours when your used to day hours.
I worked on the jet engines that would go on the aircraft. I also worked a few months with the military police. This is where I learned how to do my job fast but accurately, and where I learned how to pay attention to the minute details to make sure everything was done correctly. I also learned to be disciplined in making sure I got to work on time and on the days I was scheduled for. Management was good to me in helping me learn everything I needed to make sure things were done the right way. My co-workers were easy to get along with and I found it interesting to learn about their various backgrounds. The hardest part of the job was lifting the heavier items. The most enjoyable part was putting the engines together the correct way and then watch them get put on the aircraft, knowing the pilots would be safe when doing their missions.
Great career path
Damage Controlman (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJune 30, 2015
Great career opportunity, with benefits and travel!
• Conducted shipboard firefighting; flooding prevention and containment; chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear defense.
• Performed procedures for extinguishing class A, B, C, and D fires.
• Numerous hours dedicated to changing various advanced pumps and valves/piping.
• Repaired and replaced various firefighting systems (Halon, AFFF, CO2, and APC).
• Successful in rebuilding mechanical pumps, completing ships weekly maintenance.
really exciting
base security (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIJune 30, 2015
i love working there, the job, the co workers, everthing about it was exciting. my day to day was great pt in the morning then my shift would start after.
Rewarding job while serving my country
Second Class Personnelman Specialist (Current Employee), Tucson, AZJune 29, 2015
Pros: Camaraderie
Cons: Being away from family during training but part of my commitment
Updating reports, pay, records and complete training for mobilization and deployments.
Prepare for weekend and annual training. Furthermore, prepare for testing for advancement and support our junior troops.
Great Experience
Third Class Petty Officer/Culinary Specialist (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJune 29, 2015
The traveling was great, the benefits are awesome, the hardest part is dealing with people who were consistently angry and being away from home for periods at a time
My Career
Administrative Assistance/Policeman (Former Employee), Shreveport, LAJune 29, 2015
Pros: I traveled all over the wolrd.
Cons: I didn't get a chance to do 20 years.
I loved the US navy. I was making it my career until I was medically discharged. The US navy was the best job that I ever had.
United States Navy
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee), Beaufort, SCJune 29, 2015
Pros: Benefits and education
Cons: Time away from family and restrictions to individuality
A typical day in the Navy begins with arriving to work at least 15 minutes early. We muster and find out what the game plan is for the day and where we are assigned, and any requirements to be taken care of. I learned to professionalism, time management, customer service, critical thinking, how to lead and how to follow. Management was mostly efficient. There are several different styles and I believe I experienced them all. Co-workers were more like family. We have to be able to help where there's a shortage in order to make the environment flexible and manageable for us all. The hardest part of the job would be the long hours away from my children at times. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you are constantly learning new things and experiencing different things with different people. The Navy is very diverse and you have the opportunity to get to know people from many cultures.
work but have no life til the bar
US Navy Boatswains mate (Former Employee), Great Lakes, ILJune 28, 2015
Pros: well paid no thinking just doing
Cons: no life just work
daily scheduled of can you hack it in our world;
wake
bar or explore
sleep work
Great World Experience
Boatswain' s Mates (BM) (Former Employee), Mayport, FLJune 28, 2015
Pros: Developement and Growth, Good first step out of school
Cons: recruiters are lyers, do your own research
All branches of our military offer a great foundation for men and women right out of HS, however if you can go to college first and go in as an Officer.. even better.

The ability to travel the world, save money, and get a free education trump any opportunities you will find in the street.
A great life experience
Intelligence Specialist Second Class (Current Employee), Great Lakes, ILJune 28, 2015
A difficult at times job, but it is a by far rewarding opportunity to serve in the US Navy. It has granted me the chance to better myself as a leader and to see many new places and people.

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Navy

Imagine working with the most awe-inspiring equipment and technology the world has ever seen. Making your living as a rescue swimmer – Read more

U.S. Navy Salaries