U.S. Navy
6,764 reviews

U.S. Navy Employer Reviews

You develop leadership qualities
IATS Skilled Technician (Former Employee), AIMD Oceana Va BeachApril 23, 2014
Going out to sea is awesome. Being away from family sucks but it comes with the territory. Wish they give you more skills for civilian life.
U.S. Navy
Telecommunications supervisor (Former Employee), Alameda, CAApril 23, 2014
Pros: travel, meeting various cultures, high tech on hands training
Cons: non at all
No greater job than serving your country. I love being a Telecommunication Technician. I love being on the ship and on land
It is the Navy
Quality Assuance Inspector/Supervisor (Former Employee), Bangor, WAApril 23, 2014
Pros: ojt, good schools good benefits
Cons: low pay for long hours. no overtime in the military.
It is the Military. Hard Work. Benefits are good. Long days.
Management not exactly in touch with reality I did get to work on all of my skills a great deal and learn them very thoroughly.
Motivating, Challenging Atmosphere
Master at Arms (Former Employee), Naples, ItalyApril 23, 2014
Being a United States Sailor was very motivating. I enjoyed all of the training and I learned more than I could imagine. I competed against myself as well as other shipmates to be the best I could be to perform my daily duties. Advancement and awards was something that was easily accessible to all who took serving seriously and all who wanted to improve – more... their status as a Master at Arms. Performing high security for the Naval Installation was challenging, but it gave me confidence and taught me a lot of how to perform in certain situations that could cause harm to the environment. – less
Great place to work and good environment
Petty Officer (Former Employee), San Diego CaliforniaApril 23, 2014
Pros: awesome travel and good people to work with
Cons: being away from home
Typical day at work was standing watch and an 8 hour work day.I learned a lot about propulsion plant and operating machinery.Management was hard but fair.Co workers were great.We had a brotherhood and we are still friends to this day.Hardest part of the job was being away from home.Most enjoyable was traveling to beautiful countries.
Good Experience
Navy aviation mechanic structural/hydraulic (Former Employee), San Diego, CA.April 23, 2014
Busy days but overall worth it. Learned several valuable skills to include management, team building, leadership, conflict resolution, and hard work
Military Life
Immediate Supervisor in Charge / Program Manager (Current Employee), HIApril 23, 2014
Pros: learning the core values of honor, courage, and commitment
Cons: fighting the constant red tape battle
My military career expands 24 years of diversity, challenges, and many successes. I look forward to my transition to civilian life and the thought of a new beginning for my entire family.
Diverse service, great for the intelligent and an honor to work for.
Avionics Technician (Former Employee), NAS LEMOOREApril 23, 2014
Pros: federal job, retirement is available, advancement can be earned with effort, job skills learned are priceless.
Cons: little to no family life, high chance of death/injury in many job situations.
I could go on for days about the Navy, however I'm going to keep it short and sweet.

You meet all sorts of people from all walks of life. You learn to deal with different types of people. You learn to discipline yourself. You learn how to take care of yourself, and save the lives of those right beside you. One day you could have the worst a-hole in – more... the world for a boss, the next day it could be some young dumb try-hard with no leadership experience.

The various branches are cutting people who seem to be the best at their jobs, and keeping the worst examples possible, because they have no dependents!

Not the branch's fault, its the Government itself. – less
best thing i ever did
subtech (Former Employee), Bremerton, WAApril 23, 2014
loved everything about the navy teach you a lot and made me become a better person enjoyed all 4 years
Great for the younger folks
Fire Control Technician (Former Employee), WorldWideApril 23, 2014
Pros: great travel, job security, pride in service
Cons: a lot of family seperation.
My first 10 years in the Navy were unparalleled. Then it started to change more than I was willing to accept. rules were set in place that truly made it not seem like a military environment but a politically correct nightmare of a workplace. Would never trade all of the things I have seen and done for anything, but I will leave it all to the younger – more... folks now. Go Navy. – less
the navy
AME SUPERVISOR (Former Employee), SEVERAL DUTY STATIONSApril 23, 2014
Pros: job security
Cons: no time for family
good commands and bad commands. i do miss the comraderie
THE VERY LONG DEPLOYMENTS AND BEING IN A WAR NO FUN
very interesting and enjoyable
Missile Technican (Former Employee), Charleston sSputh CarolinaApril 23, 2014
Pros: travel and serving my country
Cons: being away from my family and friends
Worked on associated equipment for the nuclear missiles.
How to work as a team in a high pressure surrounding.
Very demanding due to type of work.
A very diversified group of people that learned to work as a team.
Being away from familyl and friends for extended periods of time.
Serving my country.
Administrative Lead (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 23, 2014
Working in the Navy has been a rewarding career opportunity.
It isn't just a job its an adventure
Operations Specialist (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 23, 2014
Pros: travel all around the world
Cons: away from family to long
Every young man should do at least 2 years in the military. Days start very early, and yes its true we would have more done by 9AM then most people would do in 8 hours. Had it not been for the 6 months deployments I would have re-enlisted. Get to see the world on those 6 month cruises, they're great if you're single, but, not if you have a family at – more... home. – less
Challenging, productive, exciting
Logistics Specialist (Former Employee), Uss bonhomme Richard Lhd6April 23, 2014
Pros: travel, strong frienships, etc..
Cons: no home life, extendend time underway (out to sea)
You never knew what lies in the days ahead. Drills & etc.. kept you alert at all times, especially out in sea. I met people and discovered cultures in which I had no real knowledge of prior. You grow strong relationships with people you never imagined you would. I was always kept on my toes, and there was never a time when nothing had to be done. Leadership – more... and respect is a must, not only did you implement it to others but also had to conduct it within yourself. etc... – less
a relax place to work in
Production Technician (Current Employee), San Diego, CAApril 23, 2014
-Everybody is professional on what they do. there are days that busy and there days that are not.
-I learned how to work with civilian employees.
-the management represents a great knowledge on the jobs being performed. The management also takes care of the employees very well.
-My co-workers are very professional and very knowledgeable and always gets – more... the job done.
-The hardest part of the job is keeping up with the deadline especially when thee a ship that is going on deployment soon and we have to finish their order.
-The most enjoyable part of the job is the camaraderie. – less
Diverse work environment
Interior communications electrician (Former Employee), JapanApril 23, 2014
Pros: free benefits, travel the world for free
Cons: being away from family.
typical days include maintaining equipment through corrective and preventative maintenance.
I've learned how to sharpen my skills as an electrician by constantly getting hands-on learning of equipment and test equipment.
In a management position i had to delegate work to junior personnel to accomplish the assigned work schedule for each week.
Hardest – more... part of the job is being away from family for so long.
the most enjoyable part is doing maintenance with co-workers and learning about my job. – less
Serving the United States armed forces
Aviation Maintenance Administration (Former Employee), San Diego, CAApril 22, 2014
Pros: housing, health, training, and food benefits
Cons: frequent deployments anywhere from 2 weeks to 6+ months.
Responsible for recording, transcribing, and maintaining the records of several combat aircraft. Organized a monthly training and maintenance plan for the command. Maintained records of all manuals, instructions, and completed training records of all enlisted personnel within the command.
US Navy rewarding career
Quality Assurance Inspector (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 22, 2014
My job is very rewarding I get to manage, teach, and mentor young sailors. The most enjoyable part of my job is that I can get young guys from many different backgrounds to work together and achieve a goal/mission.
"Building Rocketships"
Commander Naval Meteorology & Oceanography Command (Former Employee), Stennis Space Center, MSApril 22, 2014
A very friendly staff, with great security. Helped me to learn clerical duties that were important in an office space, and also showed me ways to keep the workplace organized and efficient.

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Navy

The US Navy maintains a variety of military equipment like ballistic missile submarines, aircraft carriers, surface warships, – Read more