U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Found 18,209 reviews matching the search
can be stressful, depressing and full of hurry up and wait, but may be worth it.
Construction Electrician (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MSJuly 24, 2017
I joined at a young age and would not have had the opportunity to go to college without it so I cannot complain too much. I got to travel and meet a lot of people. Overall I don't regret it, but it can be stressful for people. I wish people in the future can have these benefits without having to go through the same things I went through
The Navy was great
Avionic Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 23, 2017
The military was an awesome team to join. I learned so much and they added so much to what I am today. I loved the avionic side of the Navy I was an aircraft mechanic and loved every day of it.
Its the military
Nuclear Machinist Mate (USS Enterprise) (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 23, 2017
It is the military. You will spend time away from home and away from your family and friends but that's the nature of the military. What you get out of it at the end is well worth it.
Work, learn and grow.
Canvassing recruiter (Former Employee) –  Terre Haute, INJuly 23, 2017
Everyone starts low but everyone truly has an equal opportunity to succeed and advance. I would not be who I am or gotten as far as I have without the experience I gained and the principals I learned here.
Pros
Experience, advancement.
Cons
Away from home, low entry pay.
Great way to grow up
Hull Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 23, 2017
Every teenager should serve in the services, it teaches you very quickly discipline, respect and what honor really means. I learned a trade that has feed my family for many years... My Only regret was not staying in to retirement, but I was young and dumb.
It's the typical military structure.
US Navy Electronics Tech (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 23, 2017
I had mostly positive experiences. The workplace culture was diverse and dependent upon your duty location. I learned how to manage people, work in a team environment, work in various places around the globe and how to manage completion of deadlines.
Great in all aspects
Field Medical Service Technician/Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee) –  Quantico, VAJuly 23, 2017
Loved the environment and skills that they provided. Was able to utilize on the job training to obtain skill sets that otherwise required schooling to obtain. Was able to become a leader of multiple individuals relatively quickly. Held to a higher standard of work and lifestyle.
Navy
Supervisor/ Instructor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 23, 2017
The beginning of my professional career. Learned what it takes to be a professional and learned a lot about the world we live in. The experience that I gained still helps me today.
Usn
Work Center Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Camp Lejeune, NCJuly 23, 2017
In a typical military day, meet for group workout before going into work. throughout the day, complete various task. keeping military bearing at all times is a must.
review
Aviation Maintenance Instructor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 23, 2017
The Navy was a great experience on most days but like everything there are its bad days as well. I worked with a lot of very very interesting people over my time in the Navy.
Great place to learn life skills
Talent Acquisition Manager (Former Employee) –  WorldwideJuly 23, 2017
The US navey is a great place to start your career. The technical and life skills that are learned are easily translateed into any work position. It was a great palce to begin.
Pros
Excellent learning environment, grat advancement opportunities.
Cons
work life balance
An Adventure
Leading Chief Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  Joint Base Pearl Hbr Hickam, HIJuly 23, 2017
23 years served Honorably with the U.S. Navy. Glad i had a chance to serve my Country! Hardest part of the job is sacrificing time being away fro your family...but worth it knowing that your are keeping your country safe.
Productive, High speed enviroment
System Administrator/ Communications Watch Officer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 23, 2017
Work days were either 630-1630 or 0400-0100 depending on the mission.
Learned to operate in a mission critical high stress environment.
Learned everything from server to workstation management also installation and cable running.
Pros
Travel, Knowledge, coworkers are like family
Cons
Unpredictable, high stress
Great people with new assignments throughout the week
Aviation Ordnanceman (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 22, 2017
I was responsible for a few things and at the beginning of my day all I needed to know, is what my schedule consisted of. No matter how long it may have taken or how hard it was, I never stopped until I was through. If I didn't know the correct answer, I found it. Working with many different individuals in the Navy reminded me of how important presentation is.
Pros
Something new everyday.
Cons
Some of the same complaints everyday from the same individuals
Work Oriented Environment
Logistics Specialist (Former Employee) –  USS Harry S. Truman, Norfolk VAJuly 22, 2017
A typical day saw me working 8 to 12 hours a day depending on the work environment.

I learned cleanliness, team and leadership skills, organization, and multitasking.

Management was constantly changing and required a certain level of adaptability

Workplace culture could be tense or calm based on the job at hand

The hardest part of the job was the unpredictability of it.

The most enjoyable part was seeing the world and the benefits.
Pros
Free room and board
Navy Benefits
Administrative Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Mayport, FLJuly 22, 2017
Provide excellent opportunities to better your life. Provides excellent healthcare benefits and job security. You learn how to become a better leader.
Enlisted Sailor
Petty Officer Third Class (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 22, 2017
As an enlisted sailor you can expect to do a lot of grunt work no matter what rate (job title) you have. Everyone comes in as an E1 but may advance to E3 straight out of boot camp. From there depending on whether or not you came in with a contract that includes school you are either going straight to the fleet or to the school included in your contract. Upon completion of school you may advance to E4 if you finish in the top of your graduating class. Be careful to read the fine print because this advancement could obligate you for another year of service if you choose to take it.

Once you get to the fleet you can expect to be out to sea AT LEAST half of every month you are at home port. This is due to the cyclic nature of the Navy. Pretty much any ship goes through a cycle consisting of sea trails which is how the ship proves that she is ready for deployment, followed by the deployment itself, and then a yard period after deployment to fix all the stuff that broke while on deployment.

During a 36 month period on a carrier I spent 17 months on deployment half way around the world, and an additional 6 months completing a grueling work up cycle and sea trial period. Also in that time period, which was pretty much the only time I got to go home from work every day I had a 12 month yard period. Needless to say it is a lot of time away from your friends and family.

There are some benefits the Navy offers over civilian jobs. You have a TSP account which is like a civilian 401k retirement account. This is only offered to military and qualifying government or government
  more... contract jobs. You also receive either the Montgomery GI bill or the Post 9/11 bill to finance your education, which may be transferrable if you fulfill the necessary time obligation to do so. It usually requires 10 years of service in order to transfer your educational benefit to your spouse or children.

The Navy offers you free medical and dental, but your coverage has to go through your ship if you are attached to one, or an approved medical facility if you are not attached to a ship. NOT WORTH IT. Free medical is worth every penny. Dental is also offered and this is probably the best value as far as medical coverage. I've heard of people getting thousands of dollars in dental work done for free. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS.

All things considered, I do not feel that the enlisted pay scale is competitive due when compared to civilian jobs. It is rewarding for anyone who has a sense of patriotic duty to one's country, and for that reason alone I would recommend that military service is good, but on the whole the sacrifice to do so is not worth the compensation they offer.
Pros
medical, dental, money for college
Cons
too stressful, time away from family, and not enough pay
Serve your Country and Schooling
Nuclear Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 22, 2017
Learned a lot - enjoyed the travel benefits and opportunity to Learn. As well as the experience of being on Submarines and Naval Community. See the foreign countries and get the schooling.
Challenging not for everyone
Sonar Technician Submarines (Former Employee) –  Groton, CTJuly 22, 2017
When it comes to the Navy, my job as a sonar tech was great. However the military structure was not for me and the fact I couldn't change stuff was enough for me to not stay.
Pros
Free heath care
Cons
Unfair treatment
6 year submariner
Nuclear Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaJuly 22, 2017
I served 6 years as a submarine Nuclear Electronics Tech. The Navy was a great start to my life after high school. I deployed with some great guys and still keep in touch. Deployments are hard on families but it is a community and you go through it together.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Navy. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4